The Last of Us Discussion Thread

Comments

• You're right...!

Guess it's time to break out my dimensional transporter and shotgun.

Cocoa2736 posted: »

Just think, in an alternate universe you're playing The Last Of Us 2 by now 95 days remaining

• edited February 2020

Got one playthrough left in Remastered (Survivor+ difficulty) before I get that coveted PS4 platinum.

I figured I'd stream some of my playthrough. No real reason behind it.
    www.twitch.tv/thechickenisafraid

Edit: done for now. Cleared the first section of the game (up to the capitol building)

• We'll get em' this time!

AChicken posted: »

Welcome to the day we would have gotten Part II had it not been delayed. 97 days remaining.

• The news is extremely exciting, and I really think that this could finally be a video game adaptation that's actually pulled off really well.
    However, part of me is wondering... Why Ellie and Joel? Why retell the already cinematic story of the video game. A lot more creative freedom and unique world-building for TLOU's Universe could be done through a side-story series.

...But I get that not everyone has/can play the video game and experience the story, so, this does make sense.
    Hopefully it doesn't follow the plot too close to the letter though. (Idk, this is coming from someone who just recently finished the story for their 9th time. So, I'm sure I'll be more open to it once the series is closer to fruition.)

What if this comes out before the Uncharted movie, LOL. That thing has been in the slow cooker for like 8 years.

dojo32161 posted: »

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1235619903568097280

• edited March 2020

Much like CDProjectRed, Naughty Dog's game delay was not to alleviate pressure and crunch on the employees.

As Naughty Dog Crunches On The Last Of Us II, Developers Wonder How Much Longer This Approach Can Last

On May 29, The Last of Us Part II will come out. Those who have worked on it tell me they believe it will be phenomenal, another shining entry in Naughty Dog’s quest for excellence at all costs. Some say they think it’s the best game Naughty Dog has ever made.

Yet there are also those developers, some of whom still work at Naughty Dog today, who say that there’s a part of them that actually wishes this game would fail. A critical flop might help show Naughty Dog that this isn’t the best way to make games, that this level of sacrifice isn’t necessary, that maybe the project isn’t worth losing all of these people. That perhaps, no matter how many Game of the Year nominations they win or how high their Metacritic scores climb, all the individual hairs on Joel’s eyebrows or the grains of sand in a burlap sack just aren’t worth the cost.

Much like CDProjectRed, Naughty Dog's game delay was not to alleviate pressure and crunch on the employees. As Naughty Dog Crunches On Th

• edited April 2020

The Last of Us Part II has been delayed indefinitely, due to the current pandemic. The game is almost done, but due to logistical issues and wanting "everyone to play the Last of Us II at the same time", they can't release it on May 29th. This is probably because they can't get (any) discs produced by the release date, and don't want physical buyers left in the dust.

(as a physical buyer, I appreciate the motivation behind this decision, even if the game is going to be ready anyway by May 29. As a fan of TLOU, it's heartbreaking since this is the only thing I've been anticipating this year. Especially with these social distancing rules, it would have been the perfect time to play it.)

Sad times. Operation: Survive Until May 29 is a no-go.

The Last of Us Part II has been delayed indefinitely, due to the current pandemic. The game is almost done, but due to logistical issues and

• With everything in the world being cancelled, postponed, or shut down, games were one of the few things that seemed to remain the same, that we hoped wouldn't be too hugely impacted because of the events going on in the world. They can be played in isolation, or even with others from separate locations. Developers can work on certain things from either the office or from their homes. It seemed like gaming could help get a lot of people through this time. Now, even that has fallen victim to COVID-19. If TLOU II has been delayed, one can imagine games like Cyberpunk and Ghosts of Tsushima will most likely follow soon as well.

The Last of Us Part II has been delayed indefinitely, due to the current pandemic. The game is almost done, but due to logistical issues and

• NO ONE CARES!!! Fuck off with your bullshit.

• edited April 2020

Unfortunately, probably so. Recent games like Persona 5 Royal and Final Fantasy 7 Remake only just had these things sprung upon them, but their discs have been made for the past month, I'd say. So the only thing impeding their complete release is the delay of physical shipments/people who aren't able to pick theirs up at a store.

Good to know that Naughty Dog's development on TLOU 2 is still going pretty well -- even with employees working from home -- so the games industry's shift to at-home work isn't having too much of an impact. Getting those games to all consumers though is proving difficult. That sucks. Also, there's a notable shortages in all mainstream consoles recently, so people have to turn to third-party sellers, who are also using this as a way to upscale their prices. A Nintendo Switch is going for at least ~600$ CAD (nearly 200$ higher than the MSRP).

With everything in the world being cancelled, postponed, or shut down, games were one of the few things that seemed to remain the same, that

• edited April 2020

WE GOT NEW SCREENSHOTS THO

MY GOD IT LOOKS GOOD

BUT IT ONLY MAKES THIS WORSE

• How the TLOU fans are feeling after hearing about this delay:
     Pictures 1& 5

TLOU fans sitting at home in quarantine knowing there will be nothing new to play during the spring and summer months:
     Picture 6

WE GOT NEW SCREENSHOTS THO MY GOD IT LOOKS GOOD (Spoiler) BUT IT ONLY MAKES THIS WORSE

• edited April 2020

Rumour has it that a QA tester broke their NDA and leaked some gameplay footage online.
    Stay weary on social media if you don't want to see it.

• Okayyy.... TLOUII has been removed from the PS Store, and according to the article refunds might be sent out to those who pre-ordered.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/04/the_last_of_us_2_taken_off_playstation_store_following_indefinite_delay

• Ohhh my god, This is going to be one of the biggest PR disasters in Game Industry history.

I've heard people are already cancelling their pre-orders -- so they can purchase Digital instead, or because they're disappointed by the leaks.
    Whatever it is, I really hope someone high up releases a statement ASAP, and they get that release date back on track!! (Maybe even earlier if the leaked footage is as complete as I hear it is!)

• How ironic.

We'll get em' this time!

• Also worth noting is that Ghost of Tsushima has been pushed back to July 17 because of this.

Regardless, awesome! (Gets delayed again)
    Operation: Survive until June 19 is a go!

Either the leaks and outcry pushed this 3-week delay, and it'll be digital-only, or this was already planned and they've got disc production back on track.
    Time will tell.

It's official. The Last of Us 2 is coming June 19th. https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/04/27/release-date-updates-for-the-last-of-us-part-ii-ghost-of-tsushima/

• tfw they say its because covid is calming down but we all know its because it leaked

It's official. The Last of Us 2 is coming June 19th. https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/04/27/release-date-updates-for-the-last-of-us-part-ii-ghost-of-tsushima/

• Can I ever be a fan of something or someone who didn't overstay their welcome?

• I have been defending Telltale games since I played The Walking Dead Season 1, until I played A New Frontier which is one of the worst "games" I have ever played and ruined everything I loved about Telltale
    • Rockstar Games hasn't been good since they released GTA 5. Even though I enjoyed Red Dead Redemption 2, there is no secret that R* forced their employees to work 100+ hours per week, causing them to exhaust a lot and they don't care about making more single player games as how they used to.
    • Star Wars hasn't been good since 2017 in my opinion. I enjoyed all the films, even the prequels. I do not love the prequels but they are not the worst movies ever made. Revenge of the Sith is the one that doesn't deserve all the hate. Ever since I saw The Last Jedi, that was the point when Star Wars lost its touch, thanks to Disney's garbage management and EA's stupid take on the gaming for the franchise. Jedi Fallen Order was good but I don't think it was enough. And I still haven't seen Solo and Rise of Skywalker.
    • I have been enjoying all the latest Resident Evil games but I would be lying if I said Resident Evil 3 Remake had everything I wanted it to be. That worries me about the future of the franchise.
    • I thought James Cameron was a great director. He gave us the first 2 Terminator films and Aliens. Titanic was enjoyable enough but I think the second half is the only best part. Avatar was actually pretty good. Sure the story wasn't original but bad movies with original ideas also exist too. I thought he was going to revive his best franchise with Terminator Dark Fate but in the end, he just made it worse.

Ohhh my god, This is going to be one of the biggest PR disasters in Game Industry history. I've heard people are already cancelling their

• edited April 2020

Finally, for what it's worth, Naughty Dog addressed the leak.

If anyone's worried about spoilers or comes across any, the experience and build-up while playing the game will be much better than simply reading it on a piece of paper, as very well-described in the linked PSA reddit post.
    The game is reportedly going to be 25-30 hours. A spoiler takes a couple seconds to read.
    The actor in me is excited to see Ashley Johnson and others' performance. The Behind-the-Scenes of Sarah's death in the first game looked like a brutal experience for the actors, and we know the new game's plot and conflict is very emotion-driven..

• As someone who never got that invested in Last of Us and decided to just look at the spoilers as I dont have much invested, I feel this game is probably going to be disliked like how ANF was disliked here. A ton of really weird choices for where to take the story and overall not executed very well.

Im not going to spoil anything here but if you want to avoid any idea at all of what people are saying about it dont bother reading past this.

It really reminds me of ANF where it almost feels like there was deliberately a plan to do exactly what people dont want to happen. And I dont mean that in say the "ooo they better not kill Kenny or Im gonna be PISSED!" but more so in the way of how the actually killed Kenny in ANF, where its just so baffingly stupid and makes you question what the point of this story even is. To be clear Im not specifically comparing this to a moment from the leaks, but the story has that type of feel, just a lack of really caring about how x plot point is carried out, just that it has to happen. Seriously the second half sounds abysmal according to the leaks and I have no idea why anyone on the creative team at Naughty Dog thought this was the correct direction to go. Below I am going to say something that may be considered a spoiler even though Im not going to say anything plot wise, but again if you really want no idea on ending themes dont read below.

Obviously I dont think many people are asking for some happy ending at the end of this game and people are going to say the game is bad because the ending wasnt happy. That simply isnt the case, its how we got to that ending is what really matters to people. Theres a reason why everyone loves TWD S1's ending even though it isnt a happy one. The direction it had to get there felt appropriate. TLOU2 ending does not sound like a good ending at all, I dont feel anyone playing it will actually feel like it was worth playing through once the credits roll from the final scene. It just feels like a waste of time for how defeating it is. And theres nothing wrong with defeating endings, Bicycle Thieves is an old film back in the day that I love and it has one of the most defeating ends of all time, but the direction to get to that ending is what makes it work, TLOU2's ending seems like puzzle pieces plopped and forced together and then the ending tacked on and actually expecting players to "get it."

Obviously we dont have the whole game, and its 100% true we dont have the complete build up, but we do know a ton of the story now so we can have a pretty good picture on how it all goes down. I'll wait to actually see the whole story for myself before actually judging it, but I really wouldnt say it sounds like a story many people will enjoy.

Finally, for what it's worth, Naughty Dog addressed the leak. If anyone's worried about spoilers or comes across any, the experience

• TLOU2 ending does not sound like a good ending at all, I dont feel anyone playing it will actually feel like it was worth playing through once the credits roll from the final scene. It just feels like a waste of time for how defeating it is.

Kinda knew that from what I have seen from ppl on online and Twitter and YouTube now. Like they are pissed off and depressed over the ending (if it is real or not that is and it could be real cause so far everything seems to be correct. Still idk) and ppl are going to hate it and dislike it no matter what. I mean waiting til June release? Idk if that will stop the spoilers or leaks from this game. Like the hype is gone and Naughty Dog knows they are fucked either way.

It is sad to see this franchise go down hard from what I seen from ppl say that this franchise started off great and nkw turns out to be a waste of their time from what they have seen. It is painful from all the hard work to go away from the Dev. Tbh the dev was one of the many things that was building up against Naughty Dog. Stories and reporting and other problems including delaying have made ppl not looking forward to this game.

Still if ppl still want to play it. Then play it. But,for others? It is really going to come to end no matter what happens from this release.

Poogers555 posted: »

As someone who never got that invested in Last of Us and decided to just look at the spoilers as I dont have much invested, I feel this game

• Yeah, I didn't play the first Last of Us and wanted to check out what all the fuss was about with these leaks and even I think the leaks, especially a certain part, sounded like garbage. But as far as I know, the said dumbest part still hasn't been confirmed yet, so it's still possible it won't be that bad.

As someone who never got that invested in Last of Us and decided to just look at the spoilers as I dont have much invested, I feel this game

• edited April 2020

Sadly a few more screenshots have been posted, still doesnt outright confirm that really dumb part yet, but it def gives it more credibility. (this is also if we are referring to the same "dumb part" as it does 100% confirm one of the dumb parts)

Hoping it turns out inaccurate. Pretty glad I didnt really play Last of Us and got invested in it, I can only imagine having 2 ANF experiences.

Pipas posted: »

Yeah, I didn't play the first Last of Us and wanted to check out what all the fuss was about with these leaks and even I think the leaks, es

• edited April 2020

What? Still I know ppl who are still going to play it, but still it depends if they want to or not. I just know from what they are saying.

• Hoping it turns out inaccurate

Well that is what most(some who still wanting to be sure it isn't true) ppl are hoping too.

Still I never got into that franchise that much either tbh. I wish I did. But, I was let down over what I was expecting from Alien Colonial Marines and pretty much from what BioShock infinite became. Like go back to those two gameplay demos and look at the graphics and story telling from those two games. Like I was expecting to play in those versions of the two games. They look wayyyy better than what we got now. Expectations didn't become reality.

Sadly a few more screenshots have been posted, still doesnt outright confirm that really dumb part yet, but it def gives it more credibility

• edited April 2020

Should a spoiler thread be made perhaps? The leaks have actually increased my previously minimal interest in this game.
    (No actual spoilers from here on out but still spoiler marking in case someone minds hearing any thoughts about the leaks).

A lot of this does remind me of what Telltale did with ANF. There are definitely a lot of bold moves regarding the handling of the main characters going on here that I don't necessarily mind since I'm not nearly as invested in the TLOU characters as I was with the TWD Game characters.
    A lot of the leaks regarding how the story will be told make it seem like the storytelling will feel really messy if they don't do it just right.
    Perhaps the worst thing about these leaks is what apparently fuels the antagonist... which seems extremely idiotic and pulled out of their asses last minute. The big theme being explored in the game also doesn't seem to be particularly new or refreshing. It's something that has definitely been done over and over.

• edited April 2020

There are two conflicting reports on the ending, one of which has no actual video proof to back it up. I'd say take anything that isn't on video with a grain of salt.

Sadly a few more screenshots have been posted, still doesnt outright confirm that really dumb part yet, but it def gives it more credibility

• Rockstar Games hasn't been good since they released GTA 5. Even though I enjoyed Red Dead Redemption 2, there is no secret that R* forced their employees to work 100+ hours per week, causing them to exhaust a lot and they don't care about making more single player games as how they used to.

Pretty sure that was debunked right? From what I read the 100+ hours was not true. Also what has Rockstar done since GTA 5 except RDR2? I honestly do not see this point because RDR2 is, at least to me, one of if not the best open world storydriven singleplayer game I have ever played, and I'll gladly wait 10 years every time if it means I get that quality.

Star Wars hasn't been good since 2017 in my opinion. I enjoyed all the films, even the prequels. I do not love the prequels but they are not the worst movies ever made. Revenge of the Sith is the one that doesn't deserve all the hate. Ever since I saw The Last Jedi, that was the point when Star Wars lost its touch, thanks to Disney's garbage management and EA's stupid take on the gaming for the franchise. Jedi Fallen Order was good but I don't think it was enough. And I still haven't seen Solo and Rise of Skywalker.

The Last Jedi is a disgrace. I agree there. Rise of Skywalker is better but still not good. Solo is alright. But outside of the movies post-TLJ star wars has been killing it. Jedi Fallen Order was great, The Mandalorian has been fantastic and Rebels was highly acclaimed as well. Not to mention the final season of Clone Wars so far being so fucking good that I am at a loss for word. The Last Jedi killed my hype for the sequels, but definitely not for Star Wars. Dave Filoni knows Star Wars better than Kathleen Kennedy ever could.

AronDracula posted: »

Can I ever be a fan of something or someone who didn't overstay their welcome? * I have been defending Telltale games since I played Th

• No plot details spoiled, more of just what you said.

Well said. This game feels pointless. The first game ended in a really nice way. The ambigious nature let us make our own conclusions on the characters' futures. Sure, it was depressing, but the journey of getting there gave it meaning and it felt like it was worth playing through. You're right about the ANF comparison, but for me, bearing in mind what Chicken said about the full experience, this is much more like TWD S2. The nature of the game, the themes, the tone, the plot points and then at the end you just think "well, that happened." and it feels kind of pointless?

Anyway, again considering what Chicken said, we are missing a lot of build-up and context here. I saw this comment on the resetera forums:
    Describe an abridged version of the first game and it feels like it's depressing for the sake of depressing all throughout.
    -You start the game playing as your daughter, she gets shot and dies as the outbreak starts.
    -Skip ahead twenty years, you are a smuggler, you are asked to escort this little girl to a safe spot since she's immune, you have a partner named Tessa
    -Tessa dies
    -You meet two brothers, one of whom is Ellie's age, they die first, and then the older one kills himself
    -Joel gets fucking stabbed, Ellie is on her own
    -She meets the leader of a group of cannibals, they capture her and nearly kill her
    -She overpowers him with a machete as he attempts to rape her, she brutally murders him
    -Ellie nearly drowns just as they're close to the fireflies
    -Joel is told that the only way to get the cure is for Ellie to die
    -Joel fucking kills EVERYONE and kidnaps Ellie
    -Joel lies to Ellie

My point is, I don't really think the first game's plot was all that, bar the ending.

• Also what has Rockstar done since GTA 5 except RDR2?

That's what I'm saying. Nothing. Ever since they released GTA 5, Rockstar did nothing but become greedy as hell, no thanks to GTA Online. They cancelled the Agent project which had a lot of potential, they cancelled the story DLC for GTA 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2 is the only game they made for the current generation. In the last one, they had a ton of games: LA Noire, Max Payne 3, GTA 4, Manhunt 2, Midnight Club Los Angeles. You can love RDR2 and I also loved it but doesn't mean Rockstar actually does what fans want. They are now going to make GTA 6 and many fans, including myself, have been asking for a sequel to Bully. I sure know they don't care about their small projects anymore. They only care about making games which result in a lot of money.

Not to mention the final season of Clone Wars so far being so fucking good that I am at a loss for word.

I have a feeling that I'm gonna have to watch Season 7 straight away. I still haven't the previous seasons except Season 1 as a whole because I'm not a TV viewer anymore. I always lose patience when it comes shows with more than 2 seasons.

captainivy1 posted: »

Rockstar Games hasn't been good since they released GTA 5. Even though I enjoyed Red Dead Redemption 2, there is no secret that R* forced th

• I'm so scared of the game right now. If I end up having the same reaction as everyone who read the leaks, I might make a rant video on the game and the studio itself.

• edited April 2020

I'm kind of worried for the game, too, given reactions people are having about the leaks, but I'm still hopeful.

Naughty Dog made the 4-and-a-half Uncharted games! While I'm not a fan of the fourth one shoehorning in a brother for Nate, the story and locales were really fun and cool. This also brought us Lost Legacy, which is my favourite piece of the entire Uncharted series!
    They also made the first Last of Us, Neil being one of the big minds behind it. Like what Ghetsis said above, the plot for the first game can seem pretty dull and overly depressing out-of-context. I don't know what people are freaking out about (and I don't want to know), but I don't think Neil would do what he does to these fan-favourite characters (and his own creations) without a good reason.
    ND is a great development company that's put out great games (though lately their image towards treating their workforce is looking really, really bad. New management is in need.), so I'm holding out hope that they didn't spend 5 years making this thing only for it to be an "unnecessary betrayal" of a sequel.

At least the gameplay should be as good as ever. I loved the mechanics from the first game, and judging by the E3 2018 presentation, it looks like a really cool evolution! (I still haven't watched any Outbreak Day footage)

• I might make a rant video on the game and the studio itself.

I look forward to that rant. Also pretty much depends on how you take game. If you like it? Yen you like it. If you hate it? Then you know why and that's what I have been seeing from ppl on YouTube. But,some of them are warning if these things are real from the leaks. They ain't playing the game anymore and going on a rant. Still naughty dog made their bed and they have sleep on it as it is.

Still I have to see their reactions to it.

AronDracula posted: »

I'm so scared of the game right now. If I end up having the same reaction as everyone who read the leaks, I might make a rant video on the game and the studio itself.

• Don't worry, I'm not gonna be bitching the whole game like a troll. I'll take it easy, bring up some positives, then make valid criticism. I'm probably going to act up like Chris Stuckmann.

strwar3 posted: »

I might make a rant video on the game and the studio itself. I look forward to that rant. Also pretty much depends on how you take g

• I saw the leaks and even i couldn't believe it took them 7 years to make this,i'm not a big fan or anything but this is literally ANF 2.0 lmao

Sign in to comment in this discussion.