The Last of Us Discussion Thread

Comments

• To answer your question though, I think we'll be seeing The Last of Us 2 sometime next year. Not sure exactly when, but I have high hopes that it's nearly complete.

• Wow this new TLOU Part II track that's been released is absolutely amazing!!

The Last of Us (Cycles)

• Y'know that feeling when you're drinking hot chocolate, scrolling through TellTale forums to see someone posted about a new trailer for the Last of Us Part 2. You spit out your drink and click on the link. Your internet can't load fast enough. And then you find out that its just someone's theory.

For the slow people: That just happened to me.

Acheive250 posted: »

Y'know that feeling when you're drinking hot chocolate, scrolling through TellTale forums to see someone posted about a new trailer for the

• That happened to me too, minus the hot chocolate.

I commend your sophisticated choice of drink. ? ☕

Acheive250 posted: »

Y'know that feeling when you're drinking hot chocolate, scrolling through TellTale forums to see someone posted about a new trailer for the

• What's misleading?

This was a misleading thread name. ?

• edited October 2018

Psychokinesis' comment was originally a part of a different thread that was soon merged into this one.

That thread was called: "The Last of Us Part II - Release Date and Trailer", but the content of the thread was just a general question as to when we can expect to see a trailer and/or a release date.
    Safe to say it made people's hearts jump.

• Oh, no, this thread title is perfect! :star:

Refer to @AChicken's post above. ^_^ (Thanks for addressing that)

AronDracula posted: »

What's misleading?

• I'm really wondering if Ellie is gonna find out that Joel lied to her about the fireflies and how she would react in Part 2. I have a feeling she is going to rage so hard that Joel killed her friend, Marlene.

• I personally think she knew, Joel didn’t even look like he was trying to hide it. In regards to Part II, they’re probably not even going to mention it for everyone’s convenience, maybe only in a outburst context.

I'm really wondering if Ellie is gonna find out that Joel lied to her about the fireflies and how she would react in Part 2. I have a feeling she is going to rage so hard that Joel killed her friend, Marlene.

• I have a feeling that Ellie already knew? The way she says 'okay' to Joel in the end wasn't exactly convincing.. and I know this has been talked about a million times before. But how are they going to handle it in part 2.. can't fucking wait. I'd be happy to know that the game would come out next year, but how likely is that..? I'll be furious though if Ellie's gf is dead..

• Wish me luck because I'm playing on Grounded difficulty for the first time. It's already hard because there is nu HUD as well.

• Well good luck then! I've only played tlou on easy since I can't shoot for shit without auto-aim with controllers.. tell us how it goes.

Wish me luck because I'm playing on Grounded difficulty for the first time. It's already hard because there is nu HUD as well.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

For the record, the lack of a HUD isn't really that bad. Since most things basically kill you in 3-4 hits, it gets pretty obvious when it's time to heal. And for me, you should be playing in a much more melee-centric fashion on Grounded. Use bricks and bottles; those things basically guarantee you a one-hit kill on whatever you stun. Just hit them, run up, and one hit from any melee will kill them. Conserve revolver ammo in particular; the revolver is a one hit kill to unarmored human enemies. You can stock up on revolver rounds easily in the first few chapters, which come in handy in the Pittsburgh chapter.

Grounded isn't as bad as I expected it to be. A lot of it is about thinking outside the box. Also, simply running away from fights is always an option, too. There's quite a few sections where you can simply book it until you trigger a cutscene or the next encounter.

Wish me luck because I'm playing on Grounded difficulty for the first time. It's already hard because there is nu HUD as well.

• So far, I escaped the bandit town and reached the sewers with Henry and his brother. The parts where I got stuck the most was the Bloater boss fight (I didn't have any health kit, I had to avoid those spore bombs because they would have killed me instantly and I wasted a lot of ammo on that fatass zombie) and the hotel basement (Considering that I also had no listen ability, it made it hard to spot those stupid stalkers and l had low health at that part).

The best part of this game on Grounded was, when Joel gave Ellie a rifle, I killed every single asshole without getting spotted at all, Ellie didn't even shoot at all.

Deltino posted: »

For the record, the lack of a HUD isn't really that bad. Since most things basically kill you in 3-4 hits, it gets pretty obvious when it's

• Just beat the Grounded difficulty. I'm surprised to say that the part where I didn't die at all was the David boss fight. I was expecting him to be more aggressive but he was trying to mimic Jason Voorhees.

• He’s really easy to beat once you know all his moves and etc, I played the game 4 times before going to Grounded mode, and I defeated him in my first try. Can’t say the same thing about the coal mine fight and Pittsburgh when Ellie was the sniper, definitely the most difficult chapters of the game

Just beat the Grounded difficulty. I'm surprised to say that the part where I didn't die at all was the David boss fight. I was expecting him to be more aggressive but he was trying to mimic Jason Voorhees.

• Fun fact: like I said above, I didn't die more than once at the part when Ellie is a sniper and I killed every single hunter in the area without getting spotted at all. Those hunters who spawn after killing some of these dudes were just standing at the spawn points like idiots and I used bricks and bottles to distract them so I could kill them without being seen.

MegaXD posted: »

He’s really easy to beat once you know all his moves and etc, I played the game 4 times before going to Grounded mode, and I defeated him in

• stealth is one of the best strategies on Grounded, I was being an idiot standing in the same place all the time so the Molotov guy always killed me and I didn’t even know where he was lol
    Did you finish Grounded? Are you going to try Grounded plus?

Fun fact: like I said above, I didn't die more than once at the part when Ellie is a sniper and I killed every single hunter in the area wit

• I did finish it, I dunno when I'll do Grounded+

MegaXD posted: »

stealth is one of the best strategies on Grounded, I was being an idiot standing in the same place all the time so the Molotov guy always killed me and I didn’t even know where he was lol Did you finish Grounded? Are you going to try Grounded plus?

• Well, guess what? I finished Grounded+ as well.

• I don’t really have a good radar for these kind of things but what stage of development do you think Part II is in right now? Even if the supposed release date of the game was supposedly ‘leaked’ after Cycles dropped citing the game for a 2019 date, it doesn’t exactly narrow it down as it could be at any point in the year. I know that Neil reposted some pictures of the crew in the mocap gear around August , did the person who took that picture have to be cleared first about posting after a specific amount of time in development before it was given the green light? I know that it’s impossible to predict such a thing and it wouldn’t be wise to assume that the game was still in the mocap stages but I’m just curious about how the process works, and it could make for a interesting discussion. The game should take as long as it needs to.

• edited November 2018

Probably a unpopular opinion, but am I the only one who prefers the live version of Cycles rather than the finished studio version? I feel that some of the beats in the E3 version that made it for me weren’t in Cycles which disappointed me, particularly around 1:07. The studio version of Cycles just feels like it has a lot more quiet mistakes in the background and isn’t as clean sounding for me if that makes sense? What are your thoughts?

EDIT: This is just my speculation, I don’t know if Cycles even is in fact the main theme of the game. I just made the connection as they sound so similar, all I’m saying is that the main theme for Part II deserves to be of better sounding production than what I am assuming Cycles is.

• Sony just released this reaction compilation for the 2-year anniversary of the initial Part II reveal.

Hopefully we get some more news soon.

• edited December 2018

At this rate I'm really starting to think that Part II will be a 2020 release. Wouldn't be all that surprised if it becomes a crossgen game and launches alongside the PS5.

• That's a shame, I was really hoping for something in regards to TLOU II at the Game Awards. Oh well, I trust Naughty Dog, and I'm sure all the time they're taking to work on it will be worth it.

MichaelBP posted: »

https://twitter.com/Naughty_Dog/status/1070007353607667713 At this rate I'm really starting to think that Part II will be a 2020 release. Wouldn't be all that surprised if it becomes a crossgen game and launches alongside the PS5.

• WTF!!!!!!!!!

• edited December 2018

Yeah the Burning Car is a free theme for PS4.
    USA/CAD Theme link

WTF!!!!!!!!!

• Your theory not only works in terms of the conventions of a sequel to expand the story, but also works towards updating the themes and character arcs needed to create an emotional moment, especially in terms for Ellie’s development. You should be writing for these games! ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/thelastofus/comments/a7u0ke/the_daughter_theory_why_ellies_immunity_was_not/

• edited April 2019

The chances of Part II coming out later this year are getting more and more likely. (Judging from previous ND games, where mocap wrapped 5-6 months before the actual release.)

I'm still expecting it to be a Spring/Summer 2020 game. Fall 2019 still seems like it's so early for this game, especially with how little we've seen of it (though that's obviously not true to how finished the game is. They're probably worked on a whole lot of stuff since the last presentation at PGW 2017.) it's just surreal thinking about how a sequel is rumored to come out soon, but there's been little to no sign it'll happen.

• Unpopular opinion but am I the only one who absolutely abhors it when a developer says “tears were shed, much sadness, we cried a little” and all that? Because most of the time when they do do that, they’re setting us up for a major death scene, if not for the protagonist then the deuteragonist. Sure, the walking dead did that...to death... but now that I look back on it, they kept telling us that we were getting a tear jerking ending just to save us the surprise of Clementine surviving, but when they hint at a sad ending very few times, most of the time they actually mean it, and it pisses me off beyond all understanding.

AChicken posted: »

The chances of Part II coming out later this year are getting more and more likely. (Judging from previous ND games, where mocap wrapped 5-6

• The hype is real with this game, my friend.

• One thing that I'm really curious about: why is Ellie wearing a gas mask? Wasn't she immune to the spores? Or she is just wearing it in case of an ambush with smoke?

• Looks like she's hiding her immunity

One thing that I'm really curious about: why is Ellie wearing a gas mask? Wasn't she immune to the spores? Or she is just wearing it in case of an ambush with smoke?

• It's probably more for keeping the fact that she's immune a secret from everyone. The only person Joel ever told was Tommy, and while the Fireflies have been dealt with, there might still be people that could try to use that for their own gain.

One thing that I'm really curious about: why is Ellie wearing a gas mask? Wasn't she immune to the spores? Or she is just wearing it in case of an ambush with smoke?

• edited September 2019

AAAAH Man, I really need to watch this State of Play ASAP. I'm on the commute home right now but I know what I'm throwing on my TV when I get back.

Since I've got the data for it, I've been reading a lot about the release date, special editions and whatnot. Here's some images of the various editions... (People say Best Buy had them on sale, but took them down fast. They'll probably be available to purchase on Outbreak Day, Sept. 26th. The digital versions are already up for sale.)

Not shown here: The Collector's and Ellie editions (and I think the Digital Deluxe) also get you access to the Making-Of documentary, much like they did with the first game. Though in that case, you only had to buy the Single/Multi-Player Season Pass to get it.
    I have a feeling that I'm only getting the Special Edition. The potential prices in USD (150$ for Collector's, 200+$ for Ellie) have me afraid of what that'll look like converted to Maple Syrup Dollars.

Also, this.
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/09/24/the-last-of-us-part-ii-arrives-on-february-21-2020/

Hold on. We’re not done. Today, journalists from all over the world are going hands-on with two new levels at a press event in Los Angeles–playing roughly three hours of the game! Thankfully, you won’t have to wait long to see and hear more about it. Their impressions and videos will be going live this Thursday, September 26 around 8:00am PT, or, as many fans of The Last of Us know it: Outbreak Day.

Oh yeah and apparently the game is going to be in 2 Discs. (Install Disc and Play Disc, one holds most of the data than the other). Either this is a massive game, or they've got a lot of cutscenes. HYPE.

• Ok wow AAAAHH I'm so excited for Part 2 to release!!

We still know barely. Anything, other than Ellie's girlfriend is probably in danger or has died, and that's why she's going on a rampage.
    Joel appears at some point, too, and they haven't seen each other in a while... Or at least aren't on the best of terms.

But the game does seem like it's Naughty Dog's biggest yet. I'm really starting to believe that the 2 disc leak is true. It certainly seems like a beefy story (and we still don't know who those other women are from the PGW 2017 Trailer!)

• man they really made it just so fucking obvious they're gonna kill ellie's girlfriend huh. didn't even try to hide it. just decided to go with the most generic revenge plot they could think of. wish i didn't keep putting faith in the last of us' writing team.

okay so being positive the gramphicks look very good and it was very surprising how good they looked. since it's naughty dog there will probably not be a downgrade. gameplay looks as fluid and fun as the first game so it'll likely be the thing that carries the entire experience this time too. loving the music and new infected designs. really makes the world feel way richer and more interesting. and old man joel can have all of my babies. all of them. i just hope the story isn't as lame as all the marketing is implying it is. really fuckin hated the first game's story so i hope this is an improvement considering how top notch and flawless uncharted 4's story was.

• just decided to go with the most generic revenge plot they could think of. wish i didn't keep putting faith in the last of us' writing team.

man they really made it just so fucking obvious they're gonna kill ellie's girlfriend huh. didn't even try to hide it. just decided to go wi

Sign in to comment in this discussion.