The Last of Us Discussion Thread

Comments

• Okay thanks for that. Just wondering of course

AChicken posted: »

All the same, I disagree with pointing fingers at them about anything that happens around the game, especially if there is no proof that the

• Is it just me who kinda thinks that the leaks sound fake af? Like so blatant the levels of fakeness stick out like a sore thumb?

• edited May 2020

Some of them are real but honestly it's still pretty unclear what really happens and how the game ends and shit so i would wait until the game comes out to make your own opinion about it that's what i'm gonna do but i gotta say Naughty Dog's way of handling the leaks is pretty bad.

Melton23 posted: »

Is it just me who kinda thinks that the leaks sound fake af? Like so blatant the levels of fakeness stick out like a sore thumb?

• Well I couldn't believe what I saw when I read the leaks... But then I saw the clips. So y'know, make of that as you will.

I'm still gonna buy the game and I am gonna enjoy the beginning, at least I hope so. But my hype plummeted. Good thing Ghost of Tsushima is hopefully cleaning up the potential mess TLOU2 will leave.

Is it just me who kinda thinks that the leaks sound fake af? Like so blatant the levels of fakeness stick out like a sore thumb?

• edited May 2020

But my hype plummeted. Good thing Ghost of Tsushima is hopefully cleaning up the potential mess TLOU2 will leave.

Sony was banking on that game doing well. Probably going to do well, but if the ppl and including actors like Tory Baker saying it will fans "mixed and probably won't be good unless you have a open mind(like what?!?)."

The game will be diverse and mixed on some honest review critics and fans will be sad and angry over it too. Likely this game won't get a lot of money. It depends on the budget of this game and 2x by advertisement and interviews and media attention of the game. Idk if it will break even or even reach that.

Still if that plot is good(idk either if it will or not)then some ppl will be okay with it. Others might not like it and tell others not to buy it. So depends I guess

captainivy1 posted: »

Well I couldn't believe what I saw when I read the leaks... But then I saw the clips. So y'know, make of that as you will. I'm still gonn

• edited May 2020

Likely this game won't get a lot of money.

I don't know about that. The Last of Us is huge. I'm sure there's plenty of casual fans who haven't heard of the leaks or new release date, but would jump at the bit to buy it if/when they had.
    Within just over a year, TLOU on PS3 sold 7 million copies, and within a month after it released on PS4, the remastered version sold a million copies.
    The biggest sales figure I can find is a combined 17 million copies across both consoles by June 2018.

This is still going to be a pretty big hit. I doubt it'll be like a Death Stranding scenario -- confusing marketing, poor reception to a risky gameplay concept (mostly walking, package-delivery simulator), from a creator whose projects are an acquired taste. It's rumored that DS did not make back Sony's investment.

strwar3 posted: »

But my hype plummeted. Good thing Ghost of Tsushima is hopefully cleaning up the potential mess TLOU2 will leave. Sony was banking o

• edited May 2020

This is still going to be a pretty big hit. I doubt it'll be like a Death Stranding scenario -- confusing marketing, poor reception to a risky gameplay concept (mostly walking, package-delivery simulator), from a creator whose projects are an acquired taste.

Possibly why that failed. I don't think TLOU 2 is going to be bad. I just think it will be mixed. Like does it have bad writing or is the plot and story telling good or bad. Like I do think this is game is going to do well. Just fans and honest review from critics will tell ppl do buy or not from what they played from this game. Sure,this will be a huge hit. Still wait to see if those reviews or rants or just basic reviews and ratings.

It's rumored that DS did not make back Sony's investment.

Well that's why if this budget of this game is bigger than the previous TLOU game. Latest sales and figures from this game will prove. BTW? What was the budget of TLOU? I am guessing maybe $60 million? Like Resident Evil Survive had a budget of $80 million (learned that from RedletterMedia's Gaming channel Previously Recorded when they reviewed Resident Evil Survive). Better to wait to see,I guess

Likely this game won't get a lot of money. I don't know about that. The Last of Us is huge. I'm sure there's plenty of casual fans w

• Possibly why that failed. I don't think TLOU 2 is going to be bad. I just think it will be mixed. Like does it have bad writing or is the plot and story telling good or bad. Like I do think this is game is going to do well.

I agree with you there. I've got a feeling that reviews are going to be mixed, if not among the critics then among the fanbase for sure. And as you say:

Still if that plot is good(idk either if it will or not)then some ppl will be okay with it. Others might not like it and tell others not to buy it.

Word of mouth is key to getting people to know about TLOU2, and if the majority of people don't like the game... then there's going to be a significant dip in sales since the casual market late to the game might be put off by the comments from the first buyers.

This is still going to be a pretty big hit. I doubt it'll be like a Death Stranding scenario -- confusing marketing, poor reception to a ris

• A lot of the leaks are unconfirmed, basically you can only really believe what you see in the gameplay.

• I imagine the game will sell well, but the fan respose will be divisive.

But my hype plummeted. Good thing Ghost of Tsushima is hopefully cleaning up the potential mess TLOU2 will leave. Sony was banking o

• edited May 2020

Leak spoilers below

Man this game is stupid. Who’s buying this??? Neil really dropped the ball on this one, disrespecting OG characters worse than ANF did

• Haven't played The Last of Us, as I don't have a PS4, I have an XBOX One, and I've read over the leaks as well as watched some of the leaked gameplay, including those leaked scenes which have caused a bit of outrage, to say the least, but I think this situation really shows the toxicity on the side of players, justify it as "caring for the product" or "wanting the best for the story", I couldn't really care, it isn't really much of a justification to be transphobic or abusive to those working on the game or refer to them or their work as "lazy", what a load of bollocks.

Like devs are an easy target, as they can't really defend themselves, and when they do, they are barraged with backlash and abused further.

Not every Story is going to please everyone, and it is clear that the Story that Naughty Dog wish to tell is one that hasn't sat well with people, but, as long as they tell the Story that they want to tell, that is something I feel should be commended. If they base the game based off what fans want, they'll be met with having "too much fanservice", but if they go with what they deem is a good, intriguing, heartbreaking, emotional, shocking Story, and taking into account that these are professional writers and industry veterans working on the game to create the best possible narrative they can, they'll be met with backlash.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't be giving Naughty Dog, or any developer for that matter, grief, over the creative decisions they make with their game, they are doing the very best they can to tell a narrative, and yeah, I am well aware of everyone being entitled to an opinion, not everyone is going to like it, but to resort to insulting their ability as a professional in their field, to call them lazy, to belittle their hard work, that justifies the negative image that us video game players have. We are a vocal bunch, but be vocal for the right reasons, be constructive, yes constructive, in comments, and if you don't like something, simply do not play it. Why bother?

It is like me putting my hand in a fire knowing full well I am not going to be too thrilled in the feeling it causes just so I have something to complain about later.

Everybody has a voice, but very few deserve the microphone, those who genuinely want the best for the product, those who aren't going to bash and bitch like a complete and utter melt, but rather be constructive in their comments, those who don't judge the ability of the creators or insult or belittle them, but actually respect the developers and acknowledge their talents as a writer, an artist, a designer, those are the people who will make the industry better, those are the people that will be listened to, those are the people that the developers will cater to, because who is going to cater to someone who is only going to abuse you? I've no doubt I'll be laughed at for my pro-developer stance, and trusting in the creators to do what they do best: create, and fine, but put yourself in their shoes rather than sit within the confines of your home behaving like you are above the people that provide content to be consumed and enjoyed, and hopefully, you'll realise that what they do is not easy. It's easy to judge from the outside, but when you are on the inside, pouring your heart into a game that may very well be met with insults by a faceless mob that lack any form of understanding as to how much passion and care you put in, I can only assume it is utter hell...

• Damn, dude. That's a great point you made.

Haven't played The Last of Us, as I don't have a PS4, I have an XBOX One, and I've read over the leaks as well as watched some of the leaked

• Which part? :joy: I'm keen to know. Sorry if I sounded like an asswipe, but honest to God mate, it does sadden me to see just how little appreciation is shown and just how unfairly Devs are treated, like, I can't really express it any more detail, seeing some of the comments hurled at the people who provide us with games does make me sad.

Damn, dude. That's a great point you made.

• Which part? :joy:

Sure

• If they base the game based off what fans want, they'll be met with having "too much fanservice", but if they go with what they deem is a good, intriguing, heartbreaking, emotional, shocking Story, [...] to create the best possible narrative they can, they'll be met with backlash.
    • taking into account that these are professional writers and industry veterans working on the game
    • I am well aware of everyone being entitled to an opinion, not everyone is going to like it, but to resort to insulting their ability as a professional in their field, to call them lazy, to belittle their hard work, that justifies the negative image that us video game players have.

It's true that Neil and other co-writers on this game are industry veterans, having worked on previous ND titles or come from other media backgrounds, so we should at least consider that they should know what they're doing when it comes to writing a good story.
    And with all the talk we've heard over the past year of TLOU2 being "potentially divisive, requiring an open mind" in the community, I don't think it's got to do with "Omg our game's story is a dumpster fire. Please buy it, please buy it! We messed up but you might like it!", it's that the writers and people working on the game knows that it's something that won't please everyone, and they made the conscious decision to make a game that challenges peoples hopes and desires for a sequel. It's a risky move, but a pretty good one in hindsight. Not everyone is going to agree with everyone in this world, so it's interesting to see how they'll handle making a story that they know will go against people's expectations, hoping they'll at least accept the storytelling decision they took.

Which part? I'm keen to know. Sorry if I sounded like an asswipe, but honest to God mate, it does sadden me to see just how little apprecia

• Cheers mate, and I agree :smile: From what we can gather from the fan reactions, not a lot of people do have an open mind, if they are being transphobic and as toxic as they are, they really revealed themselves as being the close-minded people the game just isn't suitable for.

So far, it doesn't seem like too many people are accepting of the decision they took with the story, many have cancelled pre-orders, spoiling the game for others under Naughty Dog's Social Media, I took a gander at The Last of Us II subreddit around the time the leaks came around... that was something else :joy: But as I said, that really shows that there are members of that Community that lack an open mind.

I think a developer should set out to create a piece of art that THEY can be proud of, that's what gets people invested in joining the industry, and that shouldn't be something that disappears when working at a renowned studio like Naughty Dog, or Telltale or anywhere, we are fortunate to have the opportunity to experience these pieces of art, and while it may not please everyone, if it pleases the people who care so much about a game to spend countless hours in making it the best it can be, and if it pleases the people the Devs made it out for, like the genuine fans, I think that's most important.

I was going to say more in this comment, but I felt I'd rather not ramble on and cause an eyesore, I appreciate you replying to my other comments, that was greatly appreciated :smile:

Which part? Sure * If they base the game based off what fans want, they'll be met with having "too much fanservice", but if th

• edited May 2020

I don't understand what's wrong with the gaming community. It seems like homophobia, transphobia, racism, you name it are always creeping around the corner, and everyone always seems so eager to jump on hate bandwagons and be toxic to eachother? There's people intentionally spoiling others because apparently they feel so strongly about an unreleased game they supposedly despise so much that they will go out of their way to hurt other people.

Granted, I've been negative in the past especially when it came to the The Walking Dead games, but I think that at least I always gave each episode a chance and never went out of my way to take away from other people's enjoyment.

I guess the question here is, why do some "gamers" do this?

Cheers mate, and I agree From what we can gather from the fan reactions, not a lot of people do have an open mind, if they are being transp

• Yeah, I think it gives those who go out of their way to spoil or ruin a game for others a high, I watched a video from a guy called Luke Stephens, he explained in the video that he received an email from who he believed was a fan, they typed a very well written email that caught his eye and lured him into reading, as he progressed, Luke became more invested in it and was then greeted by a spoiler for The Last of Us II, that is how far people go to put down the enjoyment of others.

This'll be controversial, but I really feel fans are the problem for the way the industry is, when something isn't liked, it is slated to hell, review bombed, criticised (I don't have an issue with criticism if it's constructive, I don't think calling into question a developer's ability to produce a game, when they have the credentials that back them up their ability, or calling them lazy, sending them death threats, is remotely constructive). Not to say there isn't people in the industry up top who don't have spotless records, but for the people that make games, pour so much into it, and want to make a game they want for the people they want to experience it, I feel that their creations should be respected, even if it isn't what we wanted, I get as fans we have our own ideals for how a Story should go, or what will happen, but if it doesn't go down that path, I don't think it's very fair to go "Wow, that's bad, they are so lazy, this is so shit" which is so common these days. I think we should look from the developer's point of view, and see what they see, and maybe we can come away with a better understanding of the game(s)

I had more to say, but I've typed several lengthy comments at this point, and while I've no problem in doing so, I don't think you'd be keen in reading a comment that rivals the length of the Bible :joy: cheers for reading

I don't understand what's wrong with the gaming community. It seems like homophobia, transphobia, racism, you name it are always creeping ar

• Yeah that's what I was thinking about too. They could've taken the story in a different route and pleased the most people (and made more money) but instead they're being brave and bothering to make something that they know not everyone will love.

Which part? Sure * If they base the game based off what fans want, they'll be met with having "too much fanservice", but if th

• but instead they're being brave and bothering to make something that they know not everyone will love.

Which is why the game will face mixed reviews from honest critics and fans. I mean fanservice Is okay if you want to use it for fans who love the franchise. But, definitely would make things more complicated than what fans wanted. I like when a gaming company listens to it's fans. But,gaming company decides to write the plot and writing the story.

Still as I said before. The game will do okay. But,it will be mixed and other ppl will not like it and tell others what they saw. Still fans of the franchise will either like or hate it.

The only reviews ppl might look at the most or either Angry Joe or other honest YouTubers who do reviews of games. Possibly will decide once they review the game. Probably will take a couple of days or a few days.

Ghetsis posted: »

Yeah that's what I was thinking about too. They could've taken the story in a different route and pleased the most people (and made more money) but instead they're being brave and bothering to make something that they know not everyone will love.

• Let me tell you a short story. It doesn't matter if you believe me or not, I really need to tell you what I dreamed last night because it has to do with my fears for The Last of Us Part 2.

For some reason, I dreamed being in a new Walking Dead game which is a direct sequel to The Final Season. Clementine and AJ were there, they just happen to be in this abandoned giant mansion which is full of dust, broken floor and scratched walls and (I can't believe I'm saying this) I was a playable character in this game (Not sure if it was me or a fictional character). I was in a first person view. Along with Clem and AJ, we were fighting bad guys, who happen to have the same behavior as the hunters from TLOU1, AJ gets separated from us and I told Clem to go after him while I was fighting a dude. After taking that guy out, I heard horrible screams from Clementine and when I reached a room, I saw both AJ and Clementine dead on the floor, I fell on my knees crying like hell and had me thinking that after everything they have been through in The Final Season, it was all for nothing.

I know this sounds weird and ridiculous but that's the best I could do to describe that nightmare. Don't ask me why that happened.

• edited May 2020

So you're afraid of the main characters dying in the Last of Us 2 because it will make the previous game and events seem like they happened for no reason?

Yeah... That's kind of my fear too. However, if some of our main characters do die, hopefully they'll have left a legacy or something behind and... Another character could pick up with that knowledge left behind? I don't know how I'd feel about that, since it would veritably change how playing through the story of the first game feels. That sort-of happy ending for our characters would be for seemingly nothing.

I don't really know how they would continue the story of TLOU if the main characters of the last game die (Joel and Ellie) other than to cement the message that "this world is unforgiving and no one is safe" . Since that would undermine the controversial "Joel saves Ellie, dooms the human race" ending of the first game. So... I have a feeling that if they are going to kill someone very near and dear to our hearts as a consequence of that ending, it will be only one of them. Either Joel dies (and maybe that's what starts Ellie's journey of revenge). Or someone else does, and the game ends with an unbeatable battle, with the death of Ellie.

AronDracula posted: »

Let me tell you a short story. It doesn't matter if you believe me or not, I really need to tell you what I dreamed last night because it ha

• edited May 2020

I just don't want the main characters to die for unlikable characters. That's one of the reasons why I hated movies like Alien 3 and Terminator Dark Fate. Killing a major character for someone no one cares about was never character development in my opinion.

So you're afraid of the main characters dying in the Last of Us 2 because it will make the previous game and events seem like they happened

• Yeah... That's kind of my fear too. However, if some of our main characters do die, hopefully they'll have left a legacy or something behind and... Another character could pick up with that knowledge left behind? I don't know how I'd feel about that, since it would veritably change how playing through the story of the first game feels. That sort-of happy ending for our characters would be for seemingly nothing.

I think that what I felt too. When the final season of The Walking Dead was coming out. Including when the first trailer happened showing us AJ grown up and Clementine with him. It showed she rescued him and then when last line from this trailer when Clementine said to AJ "Now,what happens if I get bitten"?

That was implying that Clem was going to die. Now I understood that I wanted Clem to feel love (not just AJ) someone. Like Violent and she was my choice for Clementine and I was happy and I got the ending for them being together still.

But,I think main characters are probably going to have to die. But,like making their lives worth more than anything. Like look at the Movie,Logan. That was a hard and emotional movie for me. Cause I liked Logan and I saw him in PSTD and he was tired and he was dying little by little. He lived like a soldier going through war after war and making his life matter in the end. Even through their was no reason to fight anymore. Just cherishing the life he had and just try to a single last moment of peace.

That movie is kind of like what ppl are seeing in this game TLOU 2 being right now. Through it would be hard if those main died. Ppl who loved this franchise have fear of that being true. But,it isn't better to at least cherish moments of rest and dancing and love someone next to you,on your bed and realizing what matters more than what you think matters to others. Both ppl who are either enemies or friends have been doing what they have to do to survive.

By being cold hearted or even trying to hide their guilt or pain from others. That is what most ppl see from good franchises. But it depends if the plot or writing from this game will be good or not.

So you're afraid of the main characters dying in the Last of Us 2 because it will make the previous game and events seem like they happened

• Yeah main characters dying is fine and all, especially for this universe. But I'm concerned about where they'll take the story next. Maybe there won't be a part 3.

• New limited edition PS4 Pro for TLOU2 has been revealed. Featuring an embossed design of Ellie's tattoo and monochrome controller accents.

Also, 30 days remain. A month.
    For the time being, why not check out this behind-the-scenes documentary on the making of the first game...

• edited May 2020

New video

There's an interesting bit when they start talking about the scope of their level design for this game.
    Because the environments and areas are much more open, there are potentially many story moments or combat encounters you may never see, depending on how you get from point A to B. (So... Kind of like the open sections of Uncharted 4!)

• This video didn't have the comments and like/dislike ratio disabled when they released it. I guess leak readers didn't give up shitting on Naughty Dog.

New video There's an interesting bit when they start talking about the scope of their level design for this game. Because the enviro

• It seems like this game is going to be an adrenaline rush when in combat. They did a good job at making it feel more intense. The improvements to combat are welcome too. Having to use bottles as a combat parry wasn't that realistic and this shows more possibility of legitly fighting multiple enemies at once.

Spoilery information from the video It's nice we get to play with the gf. I was worried we wouldn't have much time with her before she is probably ax'd. Maybe we will see more from the other characters mid-gameplay before release? Would love to hear how Ben is doing.

The dogs are looking so far like they will be underwhelming to face. Hiding from them doesn't seem too hard and outrunning them looks strangely doable. Hopefully I am wrong about that when the game actually releases. Why did they have to change the clicker sound? Now all I think of when I see them is of the feeders from Dead Space 3. (Much rather deal with those than the clickers imo).

Really hoping there will be enemies that are a bit more intelligent and can outsmart your use of distraction items. And with the new equipment they mentioned there can be even more ways you could play through this game. Probably some hilarious ways there too xd

New video There's an interesting bit when they start talking about the scope of their level design for this game. Because the enviro

• edited May 2020

Also I don't think Naughty Dog realizes that this releasing these inside the gameplay videos help them.

Possibly fans of the series(if they are still fans and buying the game of course) willing to buy this still. Possibly they will wait for the reviews and those will definitely be mixed cause one,Angry Joe said that he has to review it, but, he ain't gonna like it.(I sense his review will be mixed and with a rant) then I saw Boogie2988's video a couple days ago. Talking about why he thinks this game could fail and where the blame goes to. Naughty Dog and Sony might be able to push that game Ghost Of Tsushima that PS4 and future PS5 fans seem more interested in.

Either way I still said it before (many times)this game will do good. But,that depends on the plot and story and reviews (definitely being mixed). So idk it is left in the air. Still I don't know what the budget of this game is. Possibly they need to make more than the budget of the TLOU 2 being made or break even. I guess (this is my view of the budget) $90 million? Idk but,it will be close

This video didn't have the comments and like/dislike ratio disabled when they released it. I guess leak readers didn't give up shitting on Naughty Dog.

• Is it the fact the Ellie flips that knife?

Someone just found a cool knife-flip takedown animation in the first game.

• It is.

Is it the fact the Ellie flips that knife?

• Oops, I didn't read it completely cause you said "knife-flip". My bad.

It is.

• So I've been thinking about this for the past few hours, contains spoilers from Part II.

I'm worreid that ND will push one interpretation of the first game’s ending over the other. Bringing in Abby and having us play as her may be pushing too hard on the opinion that what Joel did was wrong. Sure, it’s an interesting way to show the consequences of Joel’s actions and I think it works for the world, but I’m worried that it will be shown in a biased way. The beauty of the first game's ending is that it was written to be controversial. There's no right answer. It can be argued that ND were always leaning more strongly to the "Joel was wrong" argument, but still I'm afraid players won't respond well to that.

• edited May 2020

So get ready for mixed reviews on this game, everyone.

That is pretty much from what I got from that. Although Abby being in the game won't give ppl the impression to know or even caring about her. TLOU ending was very controversial cause Joel went to great ways including killing innocent ppl who definitely had families and friends and kids. So possibly not a very good thing for Joel making more enemies to find him or Ellie and causing nothing but more harm towards themselves (Joel and Ellie here but, mostly Joel)than good when Joel killed those ppl. I guess the point of this second part of TLOU will push ppl raging and emotionally invested into the characters. But,Abby doesn't seem very likeable or relatable to anyone(which kinda of sucks for the character)and the writing won't make it better for anyone. The plot looks like a typical thread of revenge than plot about Joel or Ellie. More about Abby than them. Writing and plot will make ppl more mad or mixed on it. Including how ending goes for others.

Ghetsis posted: »

So I've been thinking about this for the past few hours, contains spoilers from Part II. (Spoiler)

• When does this game actually come out?

• June 19th

DabigRG posted: »

When does this game actually come out?

• Okay, so another four weeks

June 19th

• edited May 2020

I recently finished replaying The Last of Us for preparation. During the cutscene when Joel reunites with his brother and hugs him, I just noticed that Tommy wears a ring due to his marriage with Maria. Then if you look at the release date trailer for TLOU2, Tommy doesn't wear that ring anymore.

Did Naughty Dog forget about that detail or they did it on purpose to indicate that Tommy and Maria actually divorced? If she is alive or dead, we need to have some sort of acknowledgement. I hope they do not treat her like she never existed. She is one of the reasons why Joel changed his mind about letting his little brother do the rest of that escort mission and she is the one who built the whole community in Jackson County.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.