The Last of Us Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited April 2020

I actually saw ppl talking about that too tbh and I kinda said this before, but? Naughty Dog had a some problems during the time of this game being made.

From harassments from a former employee and toxic working environment and infighting due differences in this (from what the reporting is from previous employers who former worked there talking about Naughty Dog from this game. Still don't know if is true or not. But, wouldn't be surprised by it). Not to mention crunching time like 24/7 craziness. Pretty bad for Naughty Dog

iFoRias posted: »

I saw the leaks and even i couldn't believe it took them 7 years to make this,i'm not a big fan or anything but this is literally ANF 2.0 lmao

• I'm kind of worried for the game, too, given reactions people are having about the leaks, but I'm still hopeful.

You should still be hopeful. A lot is being blown out of proportion and some of it is even being made up. A lot of whether the story will work or not comes down to how well they execute it and no one out there right now can really judge that yet. Go into the game with an open and hyped mind, I think it's how youll enjoy it best.

AChicken posted: »

I'm kind of worried for the game, too, given reactions people are having about the leaks, but I'm still hopeful. Naughty Dog made the 4-a

• Is that where that speech is from?

AronDracula posted: »

• edited April 2020

Now maybe I'll be proven wrong when the game actually comes out and we have full context, but I am NOT a fan of the direction they took the story in. It feels legitimately disrespectful to the first game.

• Totally agree with you. This is not a case of the game "sounding too depressing in text". I'm not playing TLOU because its a fun, lighthearted game. I completely expect a depressing game and trust me people, that is not why people are bashing this.

TLOU2 is not something I'm hyped for anymore. I am still going to buy it, because I usually don't give up on franchises. Bad habit mayhaps. But the leaks killed all my hype because it's just... Not good, at all.

ralo229 posted: »

Now maybe I'll be proven wrong when the game actually comes out and we have full context, but I am NOT a fan of the direction they took the story in. It feels legitimately disrespectful to the first game.

• Yep, Metal Gear Solid 5 E3 2013 trailer

DabigRG posted: »

Is that where that speech is from?

• Ah, so the meme was originally appropriate.

Yep, Metal Gear Solid 5 E3 2013 trailer

• Just do not post any spoilers here. Only use the links to those.

• Well I can safely say that I have been able to avoid any of the spoilers. However, it's definitely obvious that the overwhelming reaction appears to be negative, with people here comparing it to ANF. I'm not willing to jump on this train yet, mainly because this is the same company and people (at least leading the game's development) that made the first game and the Uncharted series, so any risks that are taken might actually have a good execution, while on paper may look troubling. That being said, the overall reaction to the leaks does match up with what Troy Baker said a few weeks ago, when he told fans to be open minded about what happens and to not expect the story they want to see. At the time, I felt it was an odd comment, but now, it does seem to give legitimacy to any spoilers that have come out.

• edited April 2020

However, it's definitely obvious that the overwhelming reaction appears to be negative, with people here comparing it to ANF.

I really hated ANF. Like hated it soooo much. Also did you see anyone saying this like ANF 2.0? I have seen it

Well I can safely say that I have been able to avoid any of the spoilers. However, it's definitely obvious that the overwhelming reaction ap

• Neil Druckmann said in an interview that some fans are not gonna like the game as much as the first one. I thought he meant that not everyone is gonna find the second game to be as emotional as the first one, storywise. Now that statement turns out to be more important than it should have been.

That being said, the overall reaction to the leaks does match up with what Troy Baker said a few weeks ago, when he told fans to be open minded about what happens and to not expect the story they want to see. At the time, I felt it was an odd comment, but now, it does seem to give legitimacy to any spoilers that have come out.

I have a feeling that Troy Baker worked more on Death Stranding than TLOU2. Can someone tell me the screentime for Troy's character in that game?

Well I can safely say that I have been able to avoid any of the spoilers. However, it's definitely obvious that the overwhelming reaction ap

• edited April 2020

Same here in terms of spoilers, although that could change in the future given that there's still a month and a half for spoilers to progagate far and wide (and I doubt the small amount of super a-holes will stop trying to spread them up until the game is released)

So, call me paranoid or what have you, but I've taken major precautions like disabling/limiting PM's on social platforms so that no stranger can message me, not commenting on TLOU-related posts (because that's how they know you're the least bit interested in the game), and getting those spoilers filters installed.

If I do get spoiled, ah well. I've been waiting just under 7 years, so I doubt I'll quit on the hype so easily.
    Just keep in mind that trolls are intentionally trying to ruin the game for others, probably even spreading false, even worse-sounding spoilers just to make the game look bad.
    Whether it's Naughty Dog, Story-Based games, Sony exclusives, or the good Feminism themes that TLOU has touched upon, one or more of these is abhorrently wrong and has no place in the gaming world, in their eyes.

reaction to the leaks does match up with what Troy Baker said a few weeks ago, when he told fans to be open minded about what happens and to not expect the story they want to see.

Yeah, Neil and him have been quoted many times saying the story of this game would be "controversial and divisive". We all assumed that it meant the themes and explicit scenes featured would be more realistic and mature than usual (and it probably still means that), but I guess it's also in the direction they took the story. Hm.

@AronDracula
    I have a feeling that Troy Baker worked more on Death Stranding than TLOU2. Can someone tell me the screentime for Troy's character in that game?

I'm just under halfway through the game, I think (at Chp. 6), and only seen Troy a handful of times (about 4 so far). From what I've heard, he doesn't appear very often in the game, though he does make a big impression. I've heard he stays until the last quarter or so of the game, though I could be wrong since I'm also trying to avoid DS spoilers.

• I should probably make it known that I never played the first game nor intended to play the second. And though I haven't seen nor sought any of these leaks, what has been said here and maybe a thumbnail of a meme on Reddit makes whatever IT is sound kinda obvious.

[font size=2] Probably helps that there wasn't much in the first game, from what I remember[/font]

• Well there was a house in the first game that greatly resembled Clementine's house. Oh course a 3 minute youtube video could show you everything you need to see. It's also a pretty decent stealth game if you are interested in stealth titles. I have to say, the first few minutes of the game are pretty fucking dark. If the first few minutes don't get you roped in, nothing else will.

I can try to keep a lookout for deals on the game if you ever get an interest (or just bored). Right now it costs $20 for the game remastered for the Ps4, 10 for previous gen, but I can understand if you don't feel it's worth it if it only could keep your attention for a few minutes.

I should probably make it known that I never played the first game nor intended to play the second. And though I haven't seen nor sought any

• Yeah. you pretty much know your video game is doomed when one of the major Voice Actors have to tell the fans not to expect something fans would want.

• Yup, same case with Emilia Clarke when she warned everyone about Game of Thrones Season 8 by sarcastically saying "Best season ever".

Yeah. you pretty much know your video game is doomed when one of the major Voice Actors have to tell the fans not to expect something fans would want.

• Ooooh! That's gotta sting.

Yup, same case with Emilia Clarke when she warned everyone about Game of Thrones Season 8 by sarcastically saying "Best season ever".

• That likely will piss off more than just their fans. Possibly ppl who expecting something better than a shit storm from this game from the leaks, of course.

Yeah. you pretty much know your video game is doomed when one of the major Voice Actors have to tell the fans not to expect something fans would want.

• edited May 2020

here's to another Reason to hate the lgbt community

Um what
    I assume this has to do with spoilers

If you're going to hate someone though, do it at the person who wrote the thing (but seriously don't). Not at the people who the fiction is written about.

• Well here's to another Reason to hate the LGBT community even though it is not their fault.

Ummm, what?

I don't know if I am just plain up stupid, or if this is written poorly. (No offense)

I haven't seen any people being like "Oh my anti-vax crystals, I hate LGBTQ people because they are in a video game leak!".

If I am just being a fucking moron, please, explain what you are on about. lol

• Oh, I see it now. These story leaks gives others an excuse to hate LGBT people for no reason whatsoever.

Sorry, I read that the wrong way. Thought you were claiming you'd hate on them!
    👍

• These story leaks gives others an excuse to hate LGBT people for no reason whatsoever.

I hate whenever that happens too. Ppl need to blame the person who directed it to come off like that. Like blame ppl who just use LGBT community for nothing more than bashing and waste of time nonsense. Like I like having lgbt in TV shows and games. But,not in a weird way to get ppl like a character who is LGBT. It looks weird. It is better to have character become likeable than just going around saying "Hey,We made a LGBT character in our game. You have to like it or else". That happens time to time in certain gaming communities or even certain ppl who just push that.

I like a character I can relate with instead of it just being LGBT or even what some gaming communities seem to do. Naughty dog director kinda of(idk if this is true or not) hired ppl who seem to cause nothing but,bullshit and weird stupid narrative or agendas.

Like never ever hire ppl who don't understand what gamers want. Gamers know TF they want. A game that fans can like and you never ever piss off the fans. Which seems to happen time to time. Luckily CD Project Red didn't listen those kinda of idiots and only listen to their audience and fans. I can't wait to play Cyberpunk 2077!

Oh, I see it now. These story leaks gives others an excuse to hate LGBT people for no reason whatsoever. Sorry, I read that the wrong way. Thought you were claiming you'd hate on them! 👍

• edited May 2020

More like S2 and ANF 2.0 combined

iFoRias posted: »

I saw the leaks and even i couldn't believe it took them 7 years to make this,i'm not a big fan or anything but this is literally ANF 2.0 lmao

• Pretty much check out r/thelastofus2 if you want to see what Caitt is talking about. The entire sub is pretty much just "I hate gay and trans people!" ever since the leaks.

I really dont get how The Last of Us 2 has some very obvious story issues but now it turned into a bunch of capital G gamers acting like the story is only bad because lgbt characters are in the game. TLOU2's does 100% have story issues, but having lgbt characters is not one of them at all.

Well here's to another Reason to hate the LGBT community even though it is not their fault. Ummm, what? I don't know if I am just

• edited May 2020

Pretty much it is just based on story. How much the story is poorly written. These leaks show that. I could less about characters being lbgt. I care about development of the characters and good story driven by good writing. Unfortunately I don't see good writing. I see levels of ANF.

It is just weird to see that franchise turn into a dumpster fire.

TLOU2's does 100% have story issues, but having lgbt characters is not one of them at all.

Well pretty much what most ppl I have seen complain about. But,not much about that other than what the leaks say about the ppl who Ellie is facing. From the leaks that some ppl got more pissed off over what the story was about and what challenges that Ellie and others faced. It kinda look like from others saying "wow, really?!?" And sometimes "why" and "OMG you can't be serious". (I can't tell you why cause the game hasn't come out yet. But,the leaks show why some ppl are pissed off over that. Not related to LGBT characters)

I just found it hilarious similar to what we Telltale community fans experienced from ANF and how much all of us got mad and just wanted to understand why that season was created for exactly.

Still I don't get why ppl are pissed off over lgbt characters as long if there is good character development and good stories of them

Poogers555 posted: »

Pretty much check out r/thelastofus2 if you want to see what Caitt is talking about. The entire sub is pretty much just "I hate gay and tran

• Very strange how in the span of a week, the angry "gamers" have gone from insulting the game due to a bad story to insulting the game due to more diverse representation. Or at least that's what I'm guessing since I keep seeing posts on the TLOU subreddit about "let's not hate on LGBTs".

Goddamnit macho sexist gamer culture.

In other news, I've seen some ND devs on twitter now mention that some of the leaks they've seen circulating are actually false.
    ...Great? At least when someone spoils it for me I won't know if it's real or fake.

• edited May 2020

r/TLOU2 is one of the most bigoted subreddits that I've seen in a while. Like, I hate a lot of the decisions Naughty Dog made with the story too, but the gay and trans bashing is not necessary.

• Half of me feels offended by visiting it, and half of me wants to go there...

So I did, get me bleach for my eyes. P'RONTO!

Poogers555 posted: »

Pretty much check out r/thelastofus2 if you want to see what Caitt is talking about. The entire sub is pretty much just "I hate gay and tran

• Season 2 is pissing all over TLOU2 leaks.

More like S2 and ANF 2.0 combined

• I've seen some ND devs on twitter now mention that some of the leaks they've seen circulating are actually false.

They are kinda telling half of the truth here.

So, when these leaks came out. They waited until after the situation got to the point where people were demanding refunds.

And, I've taken it upon myself to look at the leaks. And I've seen the first few hours of the game. It sucks, I can tell you that. But, that's not my point. The leaks are somewhat true, and they come from multiple different servers that were holding the footage.

Some of the leaks are taken out of context, such as when A certain character dies. (No, not that one.) It's only what happens if you act like an idiot and you get killed by one of the monsters.

So, in all honesty, I think they are saying that to try to get people to preorder again.

Great? At least when someone spoils it for me I won't know if it's real or fake.

Yeah, I'd just be REALLY careful about you read.

Very strange how in the span of a week, the angry "gamers" have gone from insulting the game due to a bad story to insulting the game due to

• We can only imagine how much hell those people are being put through.

strwar3 posted: »

That likely will piss off more than just their fans. Possibly ppl who expecting something better than a shit storm from this game from the leaks, of course.

• /TLOU2 is one of the most bigoted subreddits that I've seen in a while.

Isn't that strange? I mean didn't know that their subreddit is like that. I thought their subreddit was really pro-lbgt and non-bigoted subreddit. I guess not. Still I really don't go on subreddits at all unless their are interesting things Q/A or other things.

ralo229 posted: »

r/TLOU2 is one of the most bigoted subreddits that I've seen in a while. Like, I hate a lot of the decisions Naughty Dog made with the story too, but the gay and trans bashing is not necessary.

• I thought their subreddit was really pro-lbgt and non-bigoted subreddit.

For something like the Last of Us, I'm sure it was at one point.
    But, like all good and popular things, everything changed when a minority group of bigots got spoiler ammunition and attacked.

strwar3 posted: »

/TLOU2 is one of the most bigoted subreddits that I've seen in a while. Isn't that strange? I mean didn't know that their subreddit

• Took me a second to realize you're referring to the first game.
    Eh. I just wasnt interested for no particular reason and the commentary I watched of it years ago is where my familiarity comes from(Ex-Cali-beeer!).
    Kinda want the same to happen with the second unless I find some odd reason to get it once it comes out.

Well there was a house in the first game that greatly resembled Clementine's house. Oh course a 3 minute youtube video could show you everyt

• Oh shit, it's on YouTube now?

• edited May 2020

(I heard plenty of people were talking about it during the new Assassin's Creed live reveal.) So, yeah. It's everywhere, bud.

Oh shit, it's on YouTube now?

• edited May 2020

It happened to Geeks & Gamers who were doing a livestream about TLOU2. They said they were doing a spoiler free and were just gonna discuss the situation without showing any story details. Then ND or Sony took it out. I can already tell they are afraid of the deadline.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.