Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse: The Penal Zone discussion!

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Iryon wrote: »
    You mean Max gets shot and is replaced by a monkey?

Woohoo!

58109105.jpg
  • edited April 2010
    ive only played the demo so far, I have to wait for the money in my bank to clear till I can buy it .____.' As for the demo I think I prefer'd the other Sam and Max games, but I havnt played this one properly yet so I can't judge. I kinda liked the psychic powers for Max but id rather just play him as a insane rabbit biting off everyones head bwahah. But im going to wait till I buy and finish playing it before I make a real comment. So far its ok im just not so fond on the whole "twilight zone" approach. I only liked the Twilight zone in that ride in disney land, tower of terror. But im glad to see our freelance police friends return! Can't wait to play it.
  • edited April 2010
    So you would like the dog, eh?

I guess we can make a deal... the dog for you, the lagomorph for me? Deal?

This forum continues to creep the ever loving life out of me.
  • edited April 2010
    Woohoo!

58109105.jpg

Sam and Bobo: Freelance Poo-slingers

GENIUS.
  • edited April 2010
    Kroms wrote: »

Thanks!
  • edited April 2010
    Kroms wrote: »

ENJOYING THE RIDE, KROMS?!

Ha, ha, ha, ha...[/evillaughter]
  • edited April 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    What?! No! Where?
    the wallpaper design next to the door in Stinky's
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited April 2010
    I did not read through all the comments yet, but here are my thoughts about this episode... minor spoilers (but only minor! ;-) ).
    • The strongest first episode of any TTG series I played so far (S&M 1,2, ToMI). Doesn't mean that much, though, because the first episodes tended to be rather weak in comparison to later episodes.
    • People new to the series ARE lost, the brief character introductions just increase confusion. It might be a comfortable confusion, though. ;)
    • Loved the COPS in their present location. Nonetheless, please give Chippy more emotional jingles - and Carol a VOICE, for god's sake! And don't miss the chance to reunite these guys. Having Bluster Blaster in the rear trunk of the DeSoto: A picture for the gods. And maybe Carol likes more manly computers.
    • JEJ has really done wonderful work. I am impressed, although naturally, I'd like longer pieces. And MORE.
    • New dialogue system: I did not feel like I consciously chose any question or answer with this system, which is a pity and damaged player immersion quite a notch. The dialogue quality, however, was superb. I even laughed at the bawdy stuff, which is very scarce. Fourth wall breaks were really frequent this time, but nicely spread throughout the episode.
    • Graphics: Almost all I could hope for. Crisper textures, nicer shading - those extra 200 MB were really put to use.
    • Facial expression: As brilliant as the system works for some NPCs (Momma Bosco - excellent!), it unfortunately works less for the main characters. As their eyes do not have pupils or eyelids as such, it's rather hard to communicate emotional states with eyebrows alone. There are some rather disadvantageous scenes in which Sam displays anger - it really doesn't work that way.
    • Max' powers: Controls are rather tedious, and it is sometimes not clear if future vision should be more of a hint system or rather an integral, indispensable part of the game. Teleport worked very well for me, very nice puzzles there. Still I hope for some twists in future episodes before the mechanics get repetitive. The odd pictures and ghost appearances while using the powers: confusingly wonderful. If S&M hadn't been exceedingly weird in previous seasons, it would be NOW.
  • edited April 2010
    just finished it yesterday and i love it!

the "new" control style was something i had to got used to, the control in tomi was a little bit better imho. i don't like this "analog stick"-thing. actually i hated it. give me the "cursor-around-body" back

jokes= good old sam & max, i've missed them.

puzzles = good, a few times i had to look in the walkthrough cause i got stuck. i'm not a very patient person anyway....

story = wtf, skunkape is such a badass!! weird, crazy, unbelievable stuff everywhere.

graphics= oh baby, YEAH!!!!!! love the new style

mimics= max's mimics look really strange sometimes, i liked it better in the first two seasons.

cops: now they work for MEEEEE, yeah, that's awesome. but.... i miss bluster blaster.....

overall= i want more.

and: WHERE'S BOSCO???? BRING HIM BACK. well, i'm pretty sure he will come back, otherwise you wouldn't be TELLTALE, cause you love us to much to let one of the funniest main character dissapear forever, don't you?

@laserschwert: what the... where is this from? did you made this? you're such an ARTISSST!!! i want it poster-sized! pleaaaaaase!!!
  • edited April 2010
    One Problem!
    The Future feat turns out to be the walktrough, too ?!
    Which makes the game too easy.

Its like well ... why dont I just use the future vision and check out where I have to click.
    Good for iPad newcomers/users, very casual ... but keep your fans in mind.

Cheers
  • edited April 2010
    bambi wrote: »
    One Problem!
    The Future feat turns out to be the walktrough, too ?!
    Which makes the game too easy.

Its like well ... why dont I just use the future vision and check out where I have to click.
    Good for iPad newcomers/users, very casual ... but keep your fans in mind.

Cheers

Good point there, perhaps in future episodes the future vision could be a little more vague. I'm hoping when there's a whole range of psychic powers the puzzles will be harder because we won't know which one gives the best results.
  • edited April 2010
    It looks great.. but I haven't been able to play it yet due to my slow 'puter! Stupid Dial-up...
  • edited April 2010
    Cyphox wrote: »
    just finished it yesterday and i love it!

the "new" control style was something i had to got used to, the control in tomi was a little bit better imho. i don't like this "analog stick"-thing. actually i hated it. give me the "cursor-around-body" back

Meh, I don't mind the controls.

jokes= good old sam & max, i've missed them.

Amen, sister/brother

puzzles = good, a few times i had to look in the walkthrough cause i got stuck. i'm not a very patient person anyway....

Some puzzles made sense, some didn't (I found myself wondering "How was I supposed to know to put a helmet on him?! to the Flint Paper puzzle)

story = wtf, skunkape is such a badass!! weird, crazy, unbelievable stuff everywhere.

True, can't wait for the rest of the season.

graphics= oh baby, YEAH!!!!!! love the new style

Agreed, really improved and upgraded.

mimics= max's mimics look really strange sometimes, i liked it better in the first two seasons.

Mimics? Huh?

cops: now they work for MEEEEE, yeah, that's awesome. but.... i miss bluster blaster.....

In Vegas.

overall= i want more.

I'm fine with what I'm offered.

and: WHERE'S BOSCO???? BRING HIM BACK. well, i'm pretty sure he will come back, otherwise you wouldn't be TELLTALE, cause you love us to much to let one of the funniest main character dissapear forever, don't you?

In Vegas with Bluster Blaster, PLUS they couldn't book his voice actor for this season.

Replies in Bold.
  • edited April 2010
    I miss Bosco as well, but I like Mama Bosco. She's 70s sexy, like Pam Grier. I don't miss Bluster Blaster though. I don't know why, but I like the COPS more without him.
  • edited April 2010
    I wonder how fun Bosco would be now that he was de-paranoidized...

Anyway, I'd love to see more new characters.
  • edited April 2010
    I wonder how fun Bosco would be now that he was de-paranoidized...
    I don't think you're properly remembering What's New, Beelzebub. He's possibly nuttier than he was before.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited April 2010
    I don't think you're properly remembering What's New, Beelzebub. He's possibly nuttier than he was before.

Sam & Max draws on stereotypes too broad to be completely rectified. Bosco can't really be deboscofied, can he? I played "Beelzebub" just two weeks ago, and I believe it is very doubtful if the scene in question could really serve to get rid of his paranoia. After all,
    he gets to know that his own mother has been feverishly trying to take revenge on him for decades! Whatever the cause of this misunderstanding, THAT might stick! ;)
    Still, and that justifies Sir Pantalones' idea, the revelation takes another point to maximum effect, which is that
    no one has ever been sending yearly bombs to Bosco to kill him.
    It's clear to the player: That's were that paranoia came from, and all was unjustified. Still, if you know conspiracy nuts like I do (and unfortunately that's the case), it's rather clear that they never_ever_wake_up regardless of the facts. And wasn't Bosco right about
    T-H-E-M
    ? :D
  • edited April 2010
    Good job, Chuck & the Telltale Team! Great setup to the series, and a fine episode on its own.

My two cents:

What I liked the most.
    • The beginning:
      an in medias res start which becomes a vision inside of another in medias res start, immediately followed by a flashback. The series messes up the time stream from its very first scene, with an irresistible narrator more interested in puzzling the player than in giving true explanations
      . Genius.
    • The City: New York at last, oozing with atmosphere! The investigative section across gritty streets and rooftops reminded me of the futuristic L.A. noir of the Tex Murphy series, and in a very good way.
    • Gordon the brain. Funniest voice and characterization for a disembodied brain ever.
    • Jared's music, of course. Loved the eeriest tunes: the one on the deck of the flagship (beautiful, mysterious and sad) and the one inside Bosco's Labs.
    • The Molemen's cave.
    • Max's eyebrows.

What I liked the least.
    • I've played the game twice, and I still can't understand why
      Skunkape gives the Future Vision toy back to Max. He's been trying to get it from him throughout the entire episode, he has absolutely no reason to discard it now! He practically throws it away into the Penal Zone together with the duo and the antimatter bomb.
      Is it weak writing or am I missing something?
    • The ending. Slow-paced action and some obtrusive interruptions by our friend the narrator.

What left me somehow indifferent/undecided.
    • The puzzles. I agree with what's been said here about Future Vision: for the most part it's just a convoluted way to provide hints for old fashioned intricate puzzles. I found it very clever in a couple of circumstances, though:
      the first, when you see the two unconscious minions outside Bosco's Labs; the second, the unpredictable gag with the banana peel and the manhole cover.

Now I just want more.
  • edited April 2010
    @laserschwert: what the... where is this from? did you made this? you're such an ARTISSST!!! i want it poster-sized! pleaaaaaase!!!

Sorry, you can't. I mean, I HAVE a poster sized one on my harddrive, but I can't print it because of copyright. It is in the back of Surfin' the Highway (reprint)
  • edited April 2010

Sorry, you can't. I mean, I have a poster sized one on my harddrive, but I can't print it because of copyright. It is in the back of Surfin' the Highway (reprint)
  • edited April 2010
    I have few questions about the game :

Does the demo or the game start "sam & max locked in cage by the ape " ?

Does in the demo patch or update ?

Does the menu in the full game are contains : new game , help & settings , purchase ?

I'm asking these questions because I download the demo and I don't now if the demo unlock the full game ..

Note : I pre-order the game and some people say the demo will automaticly unlock the full game if I pre order the game .
  • edited April 2010
    Dead Man wrote: »
    I have few questions about the game :

Does the demo or the game start "sam & max locked in cage by the ape " ?

Does in the demo patch or update ?

Does the menu in the full game are contains : new game , help & settings , purchase ?

I'm asking these questions because I download the demo and I don't now if the demo unlock the full game ..

Note : I pre-order the game and some people say the demo will automaticly unlock the full game if I pre order the game .

You are basically, I think, downloading the full game, which have two modes: Demo and Full Game. For unlock the full game mode you have to log in with your Telltale Account. If the game is in your list, you will unlock it. If not, the launcher will give you the option of play the demo and go to purchase the game. The game itself does not have any option of purchase or anything. It's everything in the launcher.

I think both start equally, the Demo and the Full Game, but the Demo will stop you after a while and give you the option to unlock the rest (Basically, a link to the store). I think, because I haven't tried.
  • edited April 2010
    ^

Same thing in the ps3 version ?
  • edited April 2010
    ^

No idea.
  • edited April 2010
    is anybody can help :(
  • edited April 2010
    is anybody can help :(

I guess if you ask in the support forum will be a bit faster.
  • edited April 2010
    Same thing in the ps3 version ?

In Ps3 demo, the menu has an option to buy the complete season on PSN store. The Demo is the tutorial and once finished you can buy the game.
  • edited April 2010
    Symbermine wrote: »
    In Ps3 demo, the menu has an option to buy the complete season on PSN store. The Demo is the tutorial and once finished you can buy the game.

Buy the game ? you mean unlock it ?

I'm already pre order the season ..

Sorry guys but this is the first time I pre order a game ..
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Dead Man: Make a post in the support forum and someone can help you there!
  • edited April 2010
    Buy the game ? you mean unlock it ?

I'm already pre order the season ..

Sorry guys but this is the first time I pre order a game ..

Wait. You can't download the game directly from the PSN store at zero cost because you already own it? I mean, that I would do if I pre-ordered the game from here.
  • edited April 2010
    Dead Man: Make a post in the support forum and someone can help you there!

I already did here
    Wait. You can't download the game directly from the PSN store at zero cost because you already own it? I mean, that I would do if I pre-ordered the game from here.

I didn't understand what you saying but I will say my problem again ..

I pre order the game before the game release and after the demo release I didn't see the game in the store then I wrote my problem here, and there person says to me you have to download the demo to unlock the full game , I download the demo and I finished it but the full game are not unlocked yet ! , the end of the demo says I have to buy it and pre order the season but I'm already pre order the season !
  • edited April 2010
    C'mon guys nobody got Solutions ?

I really exciting about this game ..
  • ScottAlexanderScottAlexander Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Hey Dead Man,

From what I understand, in the PSN Store, there should be two things to download:

GAME

and

KEY

You should have access to the KEY provided you've purchased/pre-ordered the season.

Please check the PSN Store and see if there's anything else you can download and install regarding Sam & Max.
  • edited April 2010
    Nothing,just the demo and the season three the one I pre order it , there people says they see the first episode but I think they see it because they didn't pre order the game .
  • edited April 2010
    When you "bought" the game you should of got a 100kb file to download, if you didn't download it check your Downloads History and re-download it. As for the game, the only one I saw was the Trial version, but I downloaded that and it was unlocked right away because I assume it detected the Key for it.
  • edited April 2010
    OK, finally I found the time to finish the game. It had some memorable moments in the last third, too, most notably the
    use of future vision at the toy shop
    , and as
    Skunkape turned the tables on the future
    . All in all, The Penal Zone is yet another excellent game by Telltale - as usually in a Sam&Max game, I wish the puzzles were more challenging, but other than that, there's nothing not to like. Thumbs up!
  • edited April 2010
    Ash735 wrote: »
    When you "bought" the game you should of got a 100kb file to download, if you didn't download it check your Downloads History and re-download it. As for the game, the only one I saw was the Trial version, but I downloaded that and it was unlocked right away because I assume it detected the Key for it.

You right , I got this file but I don't know what to do next

Question :
    Does the trial version or the demo have to be the same raigon of 100kb file ?
  • edited April 2010
    Finished. This episode is awesome, like always. Thanks Telltale
  • edited April 2010
    I agree with many people here: 90% of the riddles are far to easy in this game. Well, that is if you are using future vision on most things you find. Just having to copy what you see there could be done by a brainless monkey (let's say a space gorilla) most of the time.
    But not using future vision would make you miss some jokes and would make some riddles too obscure
    (feeding a mobile phone to a dove without any indication that you have to visit the roof?)
    or even impossible to solve... :(

And maybe I should have refrained myself from watching the trailers. Yeah, sure, the game does have a few nice toys to play with (pretty literally). But after having watched the trailers I expected a real revolution of adventure gaming, and that's not really happening here so far... >.>
    (Aside from that, the good jokes are somewhat rare in this episode, and half of them have already been used in the trailers.)

But well, nevertheless it is another great Sam & Max game. Nothing completely new, but another good game.
  • edited April 2010
    please don't put future vision in the next ep it ruins the puzzles gives hints on how to solve them making it too easy.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.