Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse: The Penal Zone discussion!

1234568»

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Yeah, people are pretty good at intuiting things. 201 was my first episode, and even though I had no idea who Sybil was and thought the Soda Poppers were elves, it was still pretty clear that Sybil was dating the disembodied head of the Lincoln Memorial, and that Sam and Max disliked the Soda Poppers, which was all I needed to know about the characters at that point. And Bosco often wore disguises because of his paranoia, but he wasn't doing it anymore, and his inconvenience store was no longer a store. I got those too.
  • edited May 2010
    My theory is that they did the "let's make sure people can start here" thing not by trying hard so they wouldn't be confused, but by making sure EVERYONE was equally confused.
    Then it's harder to know if something is a reference to a past even or just a throwaway gag. And at any rate, you can follow.
    I mean, we're used to picking things up. But whenever someones hears a joke and knows what it's referring to, they're all "oh, no, other people won't be able to follow!"
    People just take the jokes as a joke, and they fill the rest in. You don't always need to know what it's a reference to to get it.
  • booboo
    edited May 2010
    Man. That was an amazing ride. I was absolutely feeling adventure game'd out before jumping into the latest S&M but I gotta give credit where credit is due, Telltale's Sam & Max has really stepped it up. This feels like Steve Purcell's Sam & Max through and through. Maybe it's the growth of the engine which now allows for more of the character to come across through facials, or the actors now comfortable in their roles and the writers now hitting their beats like pros, or maybe it's the grime that's settled nicely over the world and filled in all the empty corners but this series has taken a gigantic leap forward. While the puzzles in the latest episode were a little tame, I think everything else including the genuinely intriguing cliffhanger was aces. I feel rewarded for having supported Telltale since the early days and now seeing such an incredible payoff. Kudos to all involved for delivering on a promise started over four years ago.

My only other gripe (aside from the relative ease of the puzzle soultions) is that the Sam & Max team needs to think of sound as inhabiting a 3D space. Right now sound design is very flat. Momma Bosco's lab could have used some machine noise to indicate that there are experiments going on. These sounds need to be heard at differing levels from adjacent screen/rooms in relation to proximity. Sound could play a part in puzzles as well or provide clues. Rather than show us the glint sparkle of the bird with the ring on the flagpole, why not have a bird sound in the background that subtly points the player in that direction.
  • edited May 2010
    Yay, I've now finished it! shock!
    >Go to the freelance police section
    >Join the guys awaiting episode 2
  • edited May 2010
    Ummmm.....no 360 support this time? such a shame, since I bought the last two seasons.
  • edited May 2010
    360 support has been something that comes after the season is over in both of the available games.
  • edited May 2010
    Just wanted to add that after a second play through I realized something...

You guys REALLY outdid yourselves. Great job, really. Keep it up! :) You all deserve a pat on the back. [and a raise :D]
  • edited May 2010
    I have starting the episode and it is very funny... And the graphics are awesome!!!!

But the controls... ah, the controls... Stupid, stupid consoles and stupid iPad and old that crazy machines... I want the classic mouse control back!!!!! :mad:
  • edited May 2010
    (In Future Vision)
    Sam: Sam and Max save Earth From Invaders.
    (Outside)
    Max: Aw, I gave away the ending!
  • edited May 2010
    When will episode 2 come out??
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited May 2010
    When will episode 2 come out??

The absolutely precise and date-setting TTG comment that episode 2 "will release in just a few short weeks" has been last written in their latest newsletter on May 7. As "a few short weeks" can mean anything between 10 days and five weeks, we have a completely solid release date already announced somewhere between May 17 and June 11!

Answered yet?
  • MRNMRN
    edited May 2010
    ^^ No, the episode comes out in May. So its not until June 11 :p
  • edited May 2010
    I wish it could be today, or tomorrow, since it's a holiday tomorrow and thus a long weekend.
  • edited May 2010
  • edited May 2010
    Wait a minute, I just thought of something... Stop me if someone has already mentioned it.

Skun-ka'pe
    SKP
    Escapee

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • edited May 2010
    So are there any ways to get that secret toy/power that was exclusive to the Ps3 version in the PC/Mac version?
  • edited May 2010
    Not yet, we'll have to wait until the 516 site is unveiled.
  • edited May 2010
    I'm part-way through, and this season already feels more polished than seasons 1 and 2, good job TTG!
  • edited May 2010
    That was really good! Loved the jumping around, loved the minor characters, the narrator works, I could tell the moles apart... about the only problem I had was that the last few moments of the dramatic confrontation seemed to cut a bit too abruptly.
  • edited July 2010
    Here's some lines I DIDN'T like, heavily paraphrased to help get the point across as to why. Because game creators LOVE hearing criticism, right?

*Uses gun on gorilla guarding door*
    Sam: Hey, I'll give you this cool gun if you let us through.
    Me: ROFL
    Max: It is funny because the player expected Sam to shoot the guard, but instead he offered him the gun.
    Me: ......Thanks Max.

*Use future vision on pothole thing, which is mandatory*
    Sam: I could totally move that thing if I wanted to. I just didn't feel like it.
    Me: Hahaha.
    *Actually do the action*
    Sam: I could totally move that thing if I wanted to. I just didn't feel like it.
    Me: Wow, that was (not) funnier the second time.

AI: Taking personal belongings.
    Me: ...Oh boy..
    AI: Unable to find personal belongings. Where do you keep your items?
    Me: None of your damn business...
    Max: None of your damn business.
    Me: Sigh.

Various Characters Through the Episode: Penal Zone sounds dirty.
    Me: Yeah. I got it. In fact, I got it the second I read the episode title.
  • edited July 2010
    Rakushun wrote: »
    *Uses gun on gorilla guarding door*
    Sam: Hey, I'll give you this cool gun if you let us through.
    Me: ROFL
    Max: It is funny because the player expected Sam to shoot the guard, but instead he offered him the gun.
    Me: ......Thanks Max.

Well, Season 3 is designed to be playable by the people who haven't played the previous seasons, so they may not be able to GET that joke since gun was mainly used for shooting at any hotspot in those episodes, unlike in THESE episodes.

Plus, I didn't mind a confirmation from Max. He has a really big mouth he's not afraid to use, after all.
    *Use future vision on pothole thing, which is mandatory*
    Me: Hahaha.
    *Actually do the action*
    Me: Wow, that was (not) funnier the second time.

...well, sorry for the repetition of the same line, although "future vision" should've hinted you that anything said on future vision will be repeated to you... right?
    AI: Taking personal belongings.
    Me: ...Oh boy..
    AI: Unable to find personal belongings. Where do you keep your items?
    Me: None of your damn business...
    Max: None of your damn business.
    Me: Sigh.
    Oh, come on, leave him alone, he only has one catchphrase and it is really heartwarming; pretty much unlike every other catchphrase.
    Various Characters Through the Episode: Penal Zone sounds dirty.
    Me: Yeah. I got it. In fact, I got it the second I read the episode title.
    I got 4-5 of those, really, and they were actually timed pretty well that you could chuckle a little.

Well, sorry, it's good to be nitpicking having opinions I guess. Sooo yeah, I'm having opinions on your opinions :/
Sign in to comment in this discussion.