The Tomb of Sammun-Mak [Speculation Thread!]

Comments

• edited May 2010
    i hope its in the whole game.

i wonder if we get to dress them up in future episodes?

I've been hoping that ever since I saw that concept art of Sam & Max in Bliss clothes.

But it never came true.....
  • edited May 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    I've been hoping that ever since I saw that concept art of Sam & Max in Bliss clothes.

But it never came true.....

Do you have a link? Because I would REALLY like to see that!
  • edited May 2010
    Do you have a link? Because I would REALLY like to see that!

No, it's on the Season 1 DVD. And everytime I try to take a screenshot of a movie on my Media Players and paste them in either Gimp or Photoshop, something gets broken. So I can't take one..
  • edited May 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    No, it's on the Season 1 DVD. And everytime I try to take a screenshot of a movie on my Media Players and paste them in either Gimp or Photoshop, something gets broken. So I can't take one..

That just makes me want the DVD more! My birthday can't come any sooner.
  • edited May 2010
    The old man is referred to as the "Toy Tycoon", and now I'm almost 100% certain that he's Santa.
  • edited May 2010
    good. i liked santa. i hated the elfs though. also, i liked shambling corporate presence
  • edited May 2010
    I'm a freakin' sucker for all of the period elements. More inconsequently, I adore Max's fingerless gloves and hat (hmm ... a stylized flat/scally cap, perhaps?).

Gah. <3 I can't wait to see how it all comes together.
    Shwoo wrote: »
    In any case, Max's outfit is adorable. Though it doesn't seem to include pants.

On the other hand, he's still wearing more clothes than Donald Duck on a normal basis (long sleeves!).
  • edited May 2010
    On the other hand, he's still wearing more clothes than Donald Duck on a normal basis (long sleeves!).

Here, here!
  • edited May 2010
    In case anybody missed it, here is the full list of the new concept art:

Train Car
    Train Car Interior
    Sam & Max Costumes
    Tomb
    Toy Tycoon
    Devil's Toybox

I linked them to not make this post huge, both size-wise and bandwith-wise.

EDIT: Oh, I didn't see they're also linked in the blog. Never mind :)
  • edited May 2010
    Ah ha, oh wow, "The Disorient Express"? Parody name of the "Orient Express" from Agatha Christie's "Murder on the Orient Express"?
  • edited May 2010
    Ah ha, oh wow, "The Disorient Express"? Parody name of the "Orient Express" from Agatha Christie's "Murder on the Orient Express"?

Agatha Chritstie didn't invent the name, it was an actual train line ;)
    But yeah, i love the silly pun, can't wait to see how it turns out.
    Makes sense with the old stylee sam and max too.
  • edited May 2010
    Sam & Max meets Agatha Christie? Do want.

I'm interested to see the story behind Dapper Gentleman Sam and Newsie Max.
  • edited May 2010
    Did you see what Andy Hartzell said on the blog: "However, those who have played trough the first two seasons of Sam & Max will be please to find some of their old favorite putting in guest appearances. Who do you think that can be? hmmmmm....
  • edited May 2010
    Agatha Chritstie didn't invent the name, it was an actual train line ;)
    But yeah, i love the silly pun, can't wait to see how it turns out.
    Makes sense with the old stylee sam and max too.

I always get stuff wrong. :(
  • edited May 2010
    Anyone notice that the toy box is IN the tomb?
  • edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    My guess is "Concept Art".
    Although "Christie, Agatha" wouldn't have been too far off in episode 2's case, it seems... :D
  • edited May 2010
    Strong Max wrote: »
    Anyone notice that the toy box is IN the tomb?

My theory is those "Sam" and "Max" were the ones who put the Toy Box in the basement of the building, so, they are the skeletons at the end of the Penal Zone.
  • edited May 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    My theory is those "Sam" and "Max" were the ones who put the Toy Box in the basement of the building, so, they are the skeletons at the end of the Penal Zone.

*blinkblink*

lightbulb-idea.jpg

Ooooh!

Okay. The following is just loosely related to what Ginny said, but it's triggered a few thoughts ...

So. In one of the new concept arts, we see the Devil's Toybox in the Tomb of Sammun-Mak. This would seem to imply that the Toybox had been moved to its current location at some point. Right?

Hmm. Let's look at that concept art again (low res; high res). Specifically towards the far right wall, part of which consists of giant stone tablets. Look familiar?

Now another concept art*. This time featuring what looks to be ... the entrance to the Tomb of Sammun-Mak! Which, presuming the museum plays a role in this episode, means the tomb was once excavated from its original location to serve as an exhibit. In ... New York, perhaps?

My proposal: The Toybox never left the tomb. In fact, Sam and Max have been in the titular tomb of the second episode since they met up with the Mole Men cult at end of the previous episode.

All right! Story theory time! The Tomb of Sammun-Mak will begin in the present time, right where The Penal Zone left off. But, perhaps due to some fiddling with the Toybox on Sam and Max's part, the episode doglegs into an extended flashback (Hello, 19th Century New York!), which tells the story of how various characters' past counterparts -- Sam and Max's in particular -- got mixed up in the machinations surrounding the Devil's Toybox. This part (and maybe the episode itself, or close to it) will conclude with past!Sam and Max meeting their untimely ends in the tomb, confirming the origin of the skeletons discovered in the last episode.

Phew!

--

*This was originally posted in the pre-order forum, so I hope it's okay to reference it here. ^^;
  • edited May 2010
    And, considering we have a Narrator, we can have a Flashback just because he said we'll have a flashback!
  • edited May 2010
    And, considering we have a Narrator, we can have a Flashback just because he said we'll have a flashback!

I never thought of that, but it makes so much sense!
  • edited May 2010
    Because someone mentioned the similarity I've put together a quick comparison pic:
    xpsxnn.png
    On the left Max in that concept art, on the right Professor Layton's assistant Luke. I can see the hat, and the sweater looks somewhat similar.
  • edited May 2010
    I just want to know how he wears the hat over his ears.
  • edited May 2010
    I just want to know how he wears the hat over his ears.
    With ear holes?
  • edited May 2010
    mr_nutt wrote: »
    With ear holes?

Ear holes that he has to put all of his ears through, or claps to tie around them like for baseball caps, that's what I'm wondering. The second one seems more practical.
  • edited May 2010
    Ear holes that he has to put all of his ears through, or claps to tie around them like for baseball caps, that's what I'm wondering. The second one seems more practical.

Apparently was just wishful thinking: In the screenshot he doesn't have the hat T.T
  • edited May 2010
    Apparently was just wishful thinking: In the screenshot he doesn't have the hat T.T

I wouldn't count it out yet. At least until we've seen more screenshots.

Also, for anyone who's played ToMI -- remember this?

(Okay, okay, that's probably not as spoilery as whether or not a hat appears in a pre-release screenshot, but hey.)
  • edited May 2010
    5 days till it comes out!!!!
  • edited May 2010

really? Cool!
  • edited May 2010

Not sure why you've decided that, but I'm pretty sure that isn't correct. Don't want to falsely get people's hopes up!
  • edited May 2010
    Pinchpenny wrote: »
    Not sure why you've decided that, but I'm pretty sure that isn't correct. Don't want to falsely get people's hopes up!

I think that comes from the fact that the 15th is then, and that would be a good guss as to when the game comes out, as that is the middle of the month.
  • edited May 2010
    I assumed that the tomb of Sammun-Mak was their basement from the start. I guess I thought it was obvious, or I would've said something.

Anyway, I think they get a psychic power that allows them to see, relive, or control the past. I'm voting for the second one.
  • edited May 2010
    I assumed that the tomb of Sammun-Mak was their basement from the start. I guess I thought it was obvious, or I would've said something.

I think their basement is in fact a some sort of abandoned recreation of the original Sammun Mak done for Entertaiment Purposes. Something happened which left the place abandoned until Sam and Max (And Flint Paper) decided to use some offices of the Building.
  • edited May 2010

Anyway, I think they get a psychic power that allows them to see, relive, or control the past. I'm voting for the second one.

I kind of wondered if someone else had posted this idea elsewhere -- and if after posting, I'd be hit with a barrage of, "Yeah, like, duh." :o It seems logical in hindsight, though it took what GinnyN said to jostle all the pieces together in my head. Maybe because I've only played through The Penal Zone about one-and-a-half times, so the clues which only appear towards the end didn't click with me right away.

And yeah, I'm starting to think Sam and Max will end up possessing their ancestors' bodies. So neither a flashback nor time travel, strictly speaking. And probably a lot more fun than just one of those ideas on its own.
    I think their basement is in fact a some sort of abandoned recreation of the original Sammun Mak done for Entertaiment Purposes. Something happened which left the place abandoned until Sam and Max (And Flint Paper) decided to use some offices of the Building.

Ah! And now I'm torn between whether the tomb we've seen is the real McCoy or a replica that contains actual artifacts, including the Devil's Toybox. Hmm.
  • edited May 2010
    Ah! And now I'm torn between whether the tomb we've seen is the real McCoy or a replica that contains actual artifacts, including the Devil's Toybox. Hmm.

I think is a replica with the actual artifacts. Because, if that Toy Box wasn't the actual Demon Toy Box, how the box powered up the whole building?
  • edited May 2010
    I think is a replica with the actual artifacts. Because, if that Toy Box wasn't the actual Demon Toy Box, how the box powered up the whole building?

Why do I get a Ghostbusters vibe from all of this.
  • edited May 2010
    I think I have a speculation worth mentioning for Sam & Max's new digs.

In the 19th century, everyone besides Britans wore those clothing that you see in those pictures. So that is Sam & Max in 19th Century America, in New York at that time period.

Just wanted to clear that up.
    Harald B wrote: »
    Because someone mentioned the similarity I've put together a quick comparison pic:
    xpsxnn.png
    On the left Max in that concept art, on the right Professor Layton's assistant Luke. I can see the hat, and the sweater looks somewhat similar.

Yes but Max isn't a stupid little nerd.
  • edited May 2010
    Pinchpenny wrote: »

No I read it on roosterteeth.com it said "5 days till it comes out
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    I don't think a date is announced yet. As usual, if you didn't hear it from Telltale, it's probably not official.
  • edited May 2010
    No I read it on roosterteeth.com it said "5 days till it comes out

Again, it probaly says that because of where in the month the 15th is.
  • edited May 2010
    Yeah, my husband made a comment the other day about how the second episode came out on his birthday, so I had to tell him that just because it's monthly doesn't mean it comes out the same monthday every month.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.