The "whatever's on your mind" thread

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Well, those are the ones that seem to have the most vocal fans. Also, they suck. Did I mention that?

Who cares about vocal fans. My point was that those are not the only two anime on the planet currently.
  • edited October 2010
    Jen Kollic wrote: »
    Where is Carmen Sandiego? Carmen Sandiego?! Where on earth could she be?

In Southern California. Idiot.
  • edited October 2010
    Who cares about vocal fans. My point was that those are not the only two anime on the planet currently.

I suppose not, but most of the stuff that hits the US these days is tripe. That was my point. Sure, you get a few diamonds in the rough - Tatami Galaxy being a recent example - but as far as I'm concerned, the best anime came out in the late '80s and '90s.
  • edited October 2010

Well excuuuuuse me princess, but I'd heard that she was at the Mona Lisa, the Leaning Tower of Piza, London Zoo or possibly Timbuktu. And none of those are in California.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2010

Nope. Google Maps says she's in Oahu.

Also, apparently there is a Carmen San Diego in Australia.
  • edited October 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »

Well, mystery solved! Good work detective.
  • edited October 2010
    I suppose not, but most of the stuff that hits the US these days is tripe. That was my point. Sure, you get a few diamonds in the rough - Tatami Galaxy being a recent example - but as far as I'm concerned, the best anime came out in the late '80s and '90s.

oumero.png
    You know, sometimes I suspect you and Rather Dashing are dupe accounts.
  • edited October 2010

Truth be told, I've known him personally for many years. It would make sense that many of our views are similar. Actually, though, he considers my tastes in anime lowbrow just because I enjoyed Saikano. Take that for what it's worth.
  • edited October 2010

i like tatami galaxy and 80-90 anime can i be rather dashing too
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    Nope. Google Maps says she's in Oahu.

MY GOD.
    edited October 2010
    Well, mystery solved! Good work detective.
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    MY GOD.

Sometimes I suspect that Google has removed all the mystery from the world. Pub arguments are just no fun when they can actually be resolved. :(
  • edited October 2010
    i like tatami galaxy and 80-90 anime can i be rather dashing too

mcdi76.png

Holy shit..I'm surrounded. I'm surrounded by Dashings, what do I do. No no no no no, this isn't right, this isn't right. I'm sitting here pondering the possibility of Pants as a dupe and suddenly I'm hit with with with questions of individuality and and the concept that somebody somewhere actually considers Saikano lowbrow when the likes of Eiken exist. Where did we where did we take a wrong turn and arrive in The Forum of Madness; I'm I'm Goldbluming. This is this is this is this is wrong on so so so so so many levels.

(Goldbluming: When something so mind-fragging happens to an individual they start to behave and speak just like Jeff Goldblum, followed swiftly by MADNESS)
  • edited October 2010
    mcdi76.png

Holy shit..I'm surrounded. I'm surrounded by Dashings, what do I do. No no no no no, this isn't right, this isn't right. I'm sitting here pondering the possibility of Pants as a dupe and suddenly I'm hit with with with questions of individuality and and the concept that somebody somewhere actually considers Saikano lowbrow when the likes of Eiken exist. Where did we where did we take a wrong turn and arrive in The Forum of Madness; I'm I'm Goldbluming. This is this is this is this is wrong on so so so so so many levels.

(Goldbluming: When something so mind-fragging happens to an individual they start to behave and speak just like Jeff Goldblum, followed swiftly by MADNESS)

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only person who enjoyed Saikano. Really, though, perhaps we're all Dashing but you and this is some kind of Lovecraftian forum designed to drain your sanity and produce an heir to Jeff Goldblum so they can finally produce a Buckaroo Banzai sequel. Or maybe not.
  • edited October 2010
    Only Animes I like: Death Note, Dragonball pre-Z, Yugioh season 0. Original pokemon
  • edited October 2010

Except there was a lot of crap that came out back then too...
  • edited October 2010
    Except there was a lot of crap that came out back then too...

It's about averages, though! On average, 80s and 90s anime was much better than modern stuff. Also, I miss Satoshi Kon.
  • edited October 2010
    I have to admit that most of the anime I like is older stuff like Bubblegum Crisis, (the original, not Crash or the 2040 stuff) Tank Police and Ranma. I'm not sure if Lupin III counts, it's my absolute favourite anime ever and it originates in the 70s, but it still gets TV movies made every year or so. And they're still good.
  • edited October 2010
    I don't like anime or manga at all. Watched Ghost in the Shell, it was like a poor mans Blade Runner, watched Akira and thought it was "decent" at best. Those are supposedly the pinnacle and I wasn't exactly impressed so i'm out
  • edited October 2010
    It's about averages, though! On average, 80s and 90s anime was much better than modern stuff. Also, I miss Satoshi Kon.

You snapped me out of madness to say..I miss him too. :(
    JedExodus wrote: »
    I don't like anime or manga at all. Watched Ghost in the Shell, it was like a poor mans Blade Runner, watched Akira and thought it was "decent" at best. Those are supposedly the pinnacle and I wasn't exactly impressed so i'm out

Akira sucks ass. Ghost in the Shell is okay now but I'd really only recommend it to fans of the series; I'd also have compared it more to the Matrix than Blade Runner. The series is way better and more entertaining all around. You really could have picked better to watch....like Cowboy Bebop. Honestly. Watch Cowboy Bebop, give that a chance and that's all. It's often the case that people who don't like anime like Cowboy Bebop, but if you can't like Cowboy Bebop there's nothing else I could possibly recommend to you.

In fact anybody who wants to watch anime should always start with Bebop. Come to think of it, how can you look at two movies and say that all anime is bad? It's just animation; it has as much variation as any other countries animation.
  • edited October 2010
    I have to admit that most of the anime I like is older stuff like Bubblegum Crisis, (the original, not Crash or the 2040 stuff) Tank Police and Ranma. I'm not sure if Lupin III counts, it's my absolute favourite anime ever and it originates in the 70s, but it still gets TV movies made every year or so. And they're still good.

Why wouldn't Lupin III count?

Also, saying you don't like anime because you don't like a couple of them is kinda like saying you don't like live action movies because a you don't like a couple of them. I'm not all that into anime, but anime isn't a genre that you can dislike because it's not a genre.
  • edited October 2010
    I haven't seen much anime, but the one I truly loved was Cardcaptors. I have no idea what year that was though.
  • edited October 2010
    I'm gonna go back on my word and watch this Cowboy Bebop thing because I like to think there's always something good in every "artform" the whole genre can hardly be against my taste, right?

But if it's crap i'll wipe that smirk off your avatars face Fawful!
  • edited October 2010
    JedExodus wrote: »
    I'm gonna go back on my word and watch this Cowboy Bebop thing because I like to think there's always something good in every "artform" the whole genre can hardly be against my taste, right?

But if it's crap i'll wipe that smirk off your avatars face Fawful!

That avatar, my good sir, is Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. :cool:
    edited October 2010

I didn't know they had colour cameras back when he was a kid!
  • edited October 2010
    Steam is down.
  • edited October 2010

You underestimate me Doc. Click the big blue JedExodus to the left
  • edited October 2010
    You won't regret it Jed. If you do I will eat my favorite hat with my very least favorite dressing. Honey mustard. And I'll drink my least favorite beverage. Bud Light. Then I'll watch my least favorite movie of all time, five times in a row. The Secret of NIMH 2. Then I may or may not shoot myself in the kneecap. No pressure.

And that's Doctor. Captain too. Doctor Captain Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Secret Fawful.

EDIT: Make sure you watch CB in English.
  • edited October 2010
    We found out today that the kennels we bought our dog from has had over 40 dogs conifscated from it in the past 3 years by the RSPCA(Pet care charity). That, tied in with the fact that our dog has been seriously ill since we got him (Compylobacterosis, which causes severe diahorreah and sometimes even death, aswell as ear mites) has led to us deciding to report them again to the RSPCA.
  • edited October 2010
    Friar wrote: »
    We found out today that the kennels we bought our dog from has had over 40 dogs conifscated from it in the past 3 years by the RSPCA(Pet care charity). That, tied in with the fact that our dog has been seriously ill since we got him (Compylobacterosis, which causes severe diahorreah and sometimes even death, aswell as ear mites) has led to us deciding to report them again to the RSPCA.

How long has it been?

Also, when I retire, I wanna open a small museum of curiosities.
  • edited October 2010
    Why wouldn't Lupin III count?

I wasn't sure if it would count as 'old' anime since they're still making it. Though I guess the movies that were made in the 70s and 80s count.

I think I need either a faster internet connection or a faster processor if I want to participate in massive battles in Warhammer Online...
  • edited October 2010

I liked his old Amadeus avatar better. This one looks squished or something. Still, my favorite avatar of his was when he had that Frollo one that looked like it was cel-shaded when it was shrunk down.

Yes, I'm way more familiar with Fawful's avatars than I should be. What can I say, they make an impression.
  • edited October 2010
    how do you post fan art
  • edited October 2010
    i am not sure about that
  • edited October 2010
    If you can't host the images somewhere, you can't post them on the forum. There's the option of posting them as attachments on the forum, but that can get pretty hairy and I try to avoid it.
  • edited October 2010
    how do you post fan art

Were you born yesterday?

Bad idea.

Use http://www.imgur.com instead.
  • edited October 2010
    or if you already have Gmail

Picasa
    http://picasaweb.google.com/home
  • edited October 2010
    Printing the inside pages of a new Sam and Max Journal. Not very happy with the result to be fair.
  • edited October 2010
    Sorry for the second post but, they will get the miners out in two hours more! Come on guys! You can do it!
  • edited October 2010
    Those guys have been trapped in there for two months right?

Are they all coming out alive? Did no one die within those two months?
    If so, Holy Awesome. If not, That really kinda totally sucks.
  • edited October 2010
    If you can't host the images somewhere, you can't post them on the forum. There's the option of posting them as attachments on the forum, but that can get pretty hairy and I try to avoid it.

Attaching images isn't that bad, you just need to make sure you convert it to the right format and compress it if you need to.
This discussion has been closed.