The "whatever's on your mind" thread

Comments

• puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2010
    Bomb scare at Holborn tube station (busy one, in central London). Can't seem to find any news about it - even the TFL website doesn't mention the station closure. We're only finding out via SMS from people who are there. Weird.

EDIT: All clear! Twitter was all over it. Still not a peep from the big news sites, even though it was a pretty big deal (apparently the entire area was shut down, offices evacuated etc). I wonder if that's prudent reporting on the part of the mainstream media, or an indicator of the greater responsiveness of social media.
  • edited October 2010
    Just came back from work (I work in a shop), and it turned out we had a break-in last night. The door was smashed and most of the cigarettes were gone. My manager, who lives above the shop, successfully slept through the whole thing, even with alarms going off! Probably just as well, or he might have been hit. Still, it was only a matter of time before we got the thieves. A shop down the road has had it happen to them quite a few times this year already.

^^^ It's good to hear no one was hurt during the bomb scare. I wonder if there wil be anything on the news.
  • edited October 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    What a amazing story. I feel a movie coming on though...they are definitely going to cash in on this. Though it's a very inspiring and amazing story.

So what if they do make a movie about it? I certainly hope they do... it's an inspiring story. You seem to be of the mindset that if anything produces profit or is organized by a business then it's inherently evil, but that's just not true. Greed itself is terrible, but that doesn't mean that its products can't be amazing.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2010
    I do wonder if those miners got paid overtime.
  • edited October 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    I do wonder if those miners got paid overtime.

That'd be crazy if the mining co. actually did pay them out for all that time.

I'm pretty sure their lives have changed forever though, especially financially. I don't know how common it is for an employer to pay out their workers in court settlements in Chile, but it seems logical that will happen.
  • edited October 2010
    That'd be crazy if the mining co. actually did pay them out for all that time.

I'm pretty sure their lives have changed forever though, especially financially. I don't know how common it is for an employer to pay out their workers in court settlements in Chile, but it seems logical that will happen.

Happens, but the Company owner of the mine declared theirselfes broke almost two weeks after the miners get trapped. The good thing is the Goverment is going to take care of them for 6 months and give them a new job, and, of course all the money they can get from Media Interviews.
  • edited October 2010
    Never mix alcohol and Calculus. It's Illegal in most places to drink and derive.
  • edited October 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    Bomb scare at Holborn tube station (busy one, in central London). Can't seem to find any news about it - even the TFL website doesn't mention the station closure. We're only finding out via SMS from people who are there. Weird.

EDIT: All clear! Twitter was all over it. Still not a peep from the big news sites, even though it was a pretty big deal (apparently the entire area was shut down, offices evacuated etc). I wonder if that's prudent reporting on the part of the mainstream media, or an indicator of the greater responsiveness of social media.

Welcome to my world, nothing wrong with a bomb scare, puts hairs on your chest, unless something goes boom it's not newsworthy
  • edited October 2010
    Friar wrote: »
    Never mix alcohol and Calculus. It's Illegal in most places to drink and derive.

Unless you try to derive e^x
  • edited October 2010
    "Serenity" is a surprisingly good movie. Even more surprising I've never heard of it before.
  • edited October 2010
    Feeling sort of depressed recently. Think I've just hit a point where I feel sort of lost and without structure since classes haven't started yet. Also, I need to stop having more than a pint when I'm out at pubs, the results just make me want to punch myself in the face after I'm sober.
  • edited October 2010
    Gohaku wrote: »
    "Serenity" is a surprisingly good movie. Even more surprising I've never heard of it before.

That IS surprising. I hear about it all the time and I've never even watched Firefly.
  • edited October 2010
    i've heard of it too and no one in my school has ever heard of Firefly. Man I love being a geek.
  • edited October 2010
    Friar wrote: »

(insert rimshot here)
  • edited October 2010
    I just did a really good cleaning job on my room and I'm so excited about how neat it is now.

However, now I'm about to start the daunting task of dusting the console shelf, and the even more daunting task of attempting to do some cable management on it.
  • edited October 2010
    I just did a really good cleaning job on my room and I'm so excited about how neat it is now.

However, now I'm about to start the daunting task of dusting the console shelf, and the even more daunting task of attempting to do some cable management on it.

theroom.jpg

AHAHAHA, what a funny story, Mark.
  • edited October 2010
    (Tommy Wiseau)

There aren't enough facepalms to go around to describe how stupid that reference was.
  • edited October 2010
    There aren't enough facepalms to go around to describe how stupid that reference was.

2090259627_49e9d02942.jpg

YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, STRONGBRUSH1!
  • edited October 2010
    (Tommy Wiseau again)

YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, STRONGBRUSH1!

Aren't you supposed to be dead or something?
  • edited October 2010

I don't even get the reference and I still hate you for it.
  • edited October 2010
    I don't even get the reference and I still hate you for it.

It's a reference to "The Room." It's an independent film written, directed, produced, and starring a man named Tommy Wiseau.

As you might have guessed, it sucks royally.
  • edited October 2010
    It's one of those movies that is so bad, with the worst scene in movie history too, that it has to be made fun of.

Nostalgia Critics review.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocFumueZq0Y

Fawful away!

super-hero-flying-silhouette-hi.png
  • edited October 2010
    Fawful away!

super-hero-flying-silhouette-hi.png

It appears I am not the only superhero. You have done well, Super Secret Fawful.
  • edited October 2010
    Man, I wish I could find someplace that sells Fawful-Away. I could use some Fawful repellent.
  • edited October 2010
    It appears I am not the only superhero. You have done well, Super Secret Fawful.

looks like you got some competition
  • edited October 2010
    Man, I wish I could find someplace that sells Fawful-Away. I could use some Fawful repellent.

Ask Batman.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRShW-ra8W9qJon-HUSINHclSISRsN7GpJ6F9uzJOsIiUruZK4&t=1&usg=__Ip4yLGDTsknYlYpASxZCyHx1l-o=

Nope, not that one.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVpeuBtOVue0ZBkVn5fM4a5_gGBQyPR5UIgIEpkoSEzYg1d_0&t=1&usg=__6Ev0e_t1n0cIOMlVtcapz5WmoQY=

Try again.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOJ9uKNycGif1PUa0eYrYqup3iJOxC6BfAfZ3jqOrm3QIKmGo&t=1&usg=__beDIdPq6eGBiSIFCYHAm0EcTDxs=
    There we go.
  • edited October 2010

Look no further than the mirror to find a good repellent.

robyns-laughing-cat-photo.jpg&t=1
  • edited October 2010
    On the other hand, who needs a specialized repellent when a can of pepper spray to the face will do the job just fine?
  • edited October 2010
    On the other hand, who needs a specialized repellent when a can of pepper spray to the face will do the job just fine?

The BATMAN, dude.
  • edited October 2010
    Turned 21 today. Birthday loot: a rabbit skeleton, earrings made out of watch gears, a very dirty drinking game, a deflated balloon, and a fake mustache. Yes, I know weird people.
  • edited October 2010
    That's pretty much anything i could ever ask for a birthday.
  • edited October 2010
    I wrote another article! Also, I am willing to gamble that the tag "cool stories bro" was the work of Tope.
  • edited October 2010
    I dont remember, so i checked, and it wasnt
  • edited October 2010
    I'm not sure if the cable management thing took. Here's what it looked like before...

DSC03359.jpg

...after...

DSC03360.jpg

...and after I put the controllers back:

DSC03361.jpg

Since I can't tie off the controller cords together, I think I'm always going to have some of this problem as long as I still want to display my consoles with their controllers.
  • edited October 2010

Since I can't tie off the controller cords together, I think I'm always going to have some of this problem as long as I still want to display my consoles with their controllers.

Can't you just wrap the cords around the controllers, or spin the cords around your fingers and tie them off individually with a twist-tie in that "figure eight"-ish dealy that always looks so nifty?
  • edited October 2010
    As tempting as that is, it can ruin the wires.
  • edited October 2010
    True... although, just about all of the controllers pictured can be replaced for a pittance should that happen (could even keep backups in a non-display box), and it'll pretty up the entire display.

Of course, I'm just launching ideas. I honestly think the cords look fine as-is.
  • edited October 2010
    I've thought about gently bundling the cords and trying to tuck them out of sight, but the main thing holding me back is that I want to be able to just pick up the controller and play whenever I want to use one of my consoles. Besides, my room is pretty dim, and even if I turn on all the lights, the light doesn't really penetrate to the back of the shelf, so the cords aren't usually very noticeable.

Also, I have 6 ties left out of a package of 20, so apparently I managed to attach 14 of them back there. I didn't think it seemed like that many. I wonder if I got shorted.
  • edited October 2010
    I need a bigger hard drive.
  • edited October 2010
    Plunder Bread is a great snack.
This discussion has been closed.