Stuff to fix in Episode 1 (Possible Spoilers)

Comments

• edited December 2010
    what about fixing the copy protection? to be more precisely fixing the way the offline mode works? i just figured out it sucks big time. (well MarkoH01 and i did...)
  • edited December 2010
    What is the problem? can you let me know so I can add it to the list?
  • edited December 2010
    sent you a pm, imho this really should be fixed...

edit: okay, forget what i just said, tested it again with a fresh installation of sam&max 301. doesnt work. you have to login at least ONCE to make this weird "hack" work.

sorry for the trouble i caused, i feel real bad right now..........
  • edited December 2010
    on My brother's macbook it locked up during the cutseen where you first meet Ms. Strickland in 1931. He had to replay the game slightly but it was annoying.
  • edited December 2010
    -Double wormhole emitter on the DeLorean when the steam gets the police car off the road in 1931.

Might not be errors, but:

-The DeLorean's tachometer doesn't work.
    -The ClockTower doesn't have gargoyles and the ledge seems too wide (Doc could walk on it without fear of falling).

Again, the steam from the vents seems odd on a Mr. Fusion-DMC.
  • edited December 2010
    Another annoyance related to the gameplay, and hopefully will be seen to for future episodes, the conversation options. At most times if it gives you 3 options, regardless of what you pick the reply you get is exactly the same! So there's really no point in asking you to make a choice in the first place because the conversation path is always going to go the same way.

Overall the conversations don't actually feel like conversations if you know what I mean?

You also don't get the option to re-ask questions, for example I wanted to hear Doc talk about the family and the DeLorean again, but couldn't. Things like that really take alot out of it as a game because all we're doing is mindlessly clicking to progress the story/conversation which is being presented to us rather than us experiencing it.
  • edited December 2010
    Hi guys, played & completed the game this morning.

Here's bugs I noticed (some already have been noted):
    - at highest graphical settings (in fullscreen 1680x1050) I saw the thin black box around Marty - I suspect it's for drawing his shadow. It was very minor compared to some of the graphical bugs in Wallace & Gromit.

- When talking to Doc in the jail cell, about Edna Strickland, there was one line where subtitles showed (reporting on hippies in the 60's) but Doc's voice wasn't heard

- When Kid Tannen has chased Marty up the gazebo, you see his mouth move but no sound or subtitles.

Other than that, nothing really seemed wrong to me. I chose the name "Harry Callahan" and that was kept consistent throughout the episode.

So I'm guessing some of the bugs people have found are obviously not ones that crop up in all situations, and different people will see different ones.

BTW - although I'm sure Telltale will try and fix programming/gameplay/puzzle/audio/graphics bugs as much as they can, I doubt they'll really want/need to fix minor continuity bugs as some people mentioned. In the grand scheme of things, they ain't that important :)
  • edited December 2010
    Cyphox wrote: »
    sent you a pm, imho this really should be fixed...

edit: okay, forget what i just said, tested it again with a fresh installation of sam&max 301. doesnt work. you have to login at least ONCE to make this weird "hack" work.

sorry for the trouble i caused, i feel real bad right now..........

Dont worry about it, its fine. :)
    Molokov wrote: »

- at highest graphical settings (in fullscreen 1680x1050) I saw the thin black box around Marty - I suspect it's for drawing his shadow. It was very minor compared to some of the graphical bugs in Wallace & Gromit.

- When talking to Doc in the jail cell, about Edna Strickland, there was one line where subtitles showed (reporting on hippies in the 60's) but Doc's voice wasn't heard

- When Kid Tannen has chased Marty up the gazebo, you see his mouth move but no sound or subtitles.

Other than that, nothing really seemed wrong to me. I chose the name "Harry Callahan" and that was kept consistent throughout the episode.

So I'm guessing some of the bugs people have found are obviously not ones that crop up in all situations, and different people will see different ones.

BTW - although I'm sure Telltale will try and fix programming/gameplay/puzzle/audio/graphics bugs as much as they can, I doubt they'll really want/need to fix minor continuity bugs as some people mentioned. In the grand scheme of things, they ain't that important :)

About the hippies line having no audio, this may be a system specfic bug because, when i played I did hear that line spoken.
  • edited December 2010
    BrendanK wrote: »
    Another annoyance related to the gameplay, and hopefully will be seen to for future episodes, the conversation options. At most times if it gives you 3 options, regardless of what you pick the reply you get is exactly the same! So there's really no point in asking you to make a choice in the first place because the conversation path is always going to go the same way.
    Which situations do you mean? The only time I remember that happening is in the dream sequence at the beginning, where Doc says his lines from the movie no matter which options you pick.
  • edited December 2010
    I thought of another thing: When the DeLorean first arrives in 1986 and Marty is inside, if you click on the time circuits, after the line of dialogue, Marty will kind of "jump" back into his seat. Some kind of a graphical glitch.

edit: Oh, and another one. The "buzzing" sound that continues after Marty arrives in 1931, through Marty's walk through Courthouse Square and his conversation with Edna. Definitely an audio glitch.
  • edited December 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    Which situations do you mean? The only time I remember that happening is in the dream sequence at the beginning, where Doc says his lines from the movie no matter which options you pick.

For example:
    - When Doc asks Marty how he knew about the rocket powered drill
    - When Marty tells Doc that he REALLY needs to see his rocket powered drill
    - When Doc asks Marty how long it will take before the patent office will reply back to him

I'm sure there are more, but this is the sort of thing that makes it feel less of a game and if they have too much of it, it reduces the incentive to want to replay the game over again.
  • edited December 2010

Telltale Games is not known to patch their games unless it is something really major like Poker Night at The Inventory Pixel Shader bug.
  • edited December 2010
    BrendanK wrote: »
    For example:
    - When Doc asks Marty how he knew about the rocket powered drill
    - When Marty tells Doc that he REALLY needs to see his rocket powered drill
    - When Doc asks Marty how long it will take before the patent office will reply back to him

I'm sure there are more, but this is the sort of thing that makes it feel less of a game and if they have too much of it, it reduces the incentive to want to replay the game over again.
    Oh, you mean like when you choose one and Marty just says "Uh..." and the same line of dialogue either way? Those dialogue choice options are actually supposed to be jokes. They're more like what Marty's thinking, rather than something he would actually say. That's actually pretty common in some adventure games.
  • edited December 2010
    aaaa:eek:
  • edited December 2010
    Okay. Just a few things that annoyed me, but surely won't get "fixed":

In Doc's lab in 1986, when the jukebox plays the background music shouldn't.

When the DeLorean appears in 1931 between the two cars... I'm no expert, but I can't believe cars could drive 70-88 mph back in 1931?

If you go into the soup kitchen before you talk to Doc in jail cell and you click the telephone, Marty says something like "I think I should find Doc before I start phoning people up in 1931." It would make a lot more sense if he didn't predict he was going to need the phone later and just said something like "Who would I call?" or "I don't know anybody's phone number."

In the final scene: Why is Kid Tannen so ridiculously bad at aiming? I don't know... There's just not enough sense of danger or urgency. And how many bullets does that gun have? :P
  • edited December 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    My son the 8 year old super brain found this... I didn't even notice when I played but he did... I swear that kid is probably smarter at 8 than I was at 18..

2010typo.jpg

Hahah same here except it was my 32 year old wife.
  • edited December 2010
    Maybe those things are just lost in translation (German edition!), but i found it odd that Cue Ball talks about something from WWII in 1931. And it's also kinda weird that they built a video store right after the illegal bar burnt down. Again, in 1931.
  • edited December 2010
    zimmer6 wrote: »
    And it's also kinda weird that they built a video store right after the illegal bar burnt down. Again, in 1931.

They built the building that later housed the video store. It wasn't a video store when they built it.
  • edited December 2010
    Something that is not really broken... but will have to be changed for the PS3 is the fuel puzzle... I had to abandon my game pad to use my much faster... mouse pointer.
  • edited December 2010
    - at highest graphical settings (in fullscreen 1680x1050) I saw the thin black box around Marty - I suspect it's for drawing his shadow.

Updating your graphics card driver should fix this.
  • edited December 2010
    One annoying glitch I encountered is that if I rename the application on my Mac, the launcher just quits when I click “Play”. If I leave the original name, “BackToTheFuture101”, it works fine, but I'd prefer to call it, say, “1 - It's About Time”…
  • edited December 2010
    When Marty and Doc get out of the paddywagon and Kid is about to crash into the manure truck, the front wheels go left and, magically, the paddywagon turns right and crashes on its left side.
  • edited December 2010
    I will be keeping the list up to date on the 1st post of page 1.
  • edited December 2010
  • edited December 2010
    Audio: Sound effects for background noise continue into next scene.
    Examples: After Marty first travels into the 30s he hides the time machine behind a sign. When the cutscene goes to Hill Valley in the daytime the night sound effects (insects and such) follow me. This also occurred for me at the end of the game when the end credits rolled. I could still hear the night scene sound effects.
  • edited December 2010
    doggans wrote: »
    They built the building that later housed the video store. It wasn't a video store when they built it.

I thought so. It just wasn't that clear in the German version ;)
  • edited December 2010
    A typo in German subtitles: The "pipe" in soup kitchen has been translated into "Pfeife". That's correct for a pipe organ :-)

Correct translation would be "Rohr".
  • edited December 2010
    You know, I recently saw again the first released screens of BttF. The interface buttons there are SMALL. Why did they have to make them so big in the release? They take a lot more space and look a bit clunky.

I wonder if TellTale will consider returning to this earlier version of the interface buttons?
  • edited December 2010
    When Doc mentions Jules and Verne, Verne doesn't have the "e" at the end. :p
  • edited December 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    My son the 8 year old super brain found this... I didn't even notice when I played but he did... I swear that kid is probably smarter at 8 than I was at 18..

2010typo.jpg

FEB 2010 !!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!
    Is that Back to the past? lol
  • edited December 2010
    Maybe you travel to february 2010 in the next episode, lol. no, its just a typo i guess. :D
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Please allow an option to remove the buttons at the top of the screen (Goal, Hint etc) to allow for more screen space.

YESS!! All of them, be gone, ghastly thingies!!
    Didn't click on one of these four, EVAR.

But please also add that the first thing to fix would be that "hints off" has to mean "hints off", even in the first scenes, when Twin Pines Mall and Doc's Lab's interior are literally obstructed by these hints most of the time.
  • edited December 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    [*]Characters calling Marty the wrong name, e.g. Player chooses “Harry Callahan” as their name but characters call Marty “Michael”.

Actually, I don't know how they can fix that one. They have to use the same name in the later episodes, and the game can't keep asking you what you named yourself.

The better solution would be to not give you a choice of a name to begin with.
  • edited December 2010
    at the end of preview it says February 2010
  • edited December 2010
    i was telling emmett the answer to his mutterings just as he started to cross the street.

It first looked like i was talking to a black room and then he was invisible for all of the cut scenes

2uymy36.png
    2yucdxv.png
  • edited December 2010
    Maybe you altered the timeline resulting in that he invented a cloacking device instead of a rocketpowered drill?
  • edited December 2010
    Hello !

Almost every second sentence stops before the whole sentence is spoken. Without the subtitles the game is unplayable because you often just dont´t know what the hell doc or marty want to say :-(

Please Telltale get this Bug fixed !
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    ...ich verschieb dich mal in den "Stuff to fix" thread. Aber da gibt's den Hinweis auch schon. ;)
  • edited December 2010
    I think this thread is a great idea.
    Each Telltale game should get a thread like this: I do really hope this will speed up the process of updating the game. ;)

In topic, I'm afraid I ran into all the bugs listed here! :eek:

I managed to solve the "thin black rectangle" issue around Marty's shadow by updating my ATI RADEON drivers. :)
  • edited December 2010
    When you click ¨ on a (Scandinavian) Mac keyboard, the game crashes.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.