IGN is worried...maybe TellTale should listen?

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Lambonius wrote: »
    Part of my issue is the dishonesty of calling something like this an adventure game.

Trying to get off an island full of dinosaurs that want to eat you sounds like an adventure to me.
  • edited September 2011
    Trying to get off an island full of dinosaurs that want to eat you sounds like an adventure to me.

I agree.

But without a proper gameplay, it is still not a game.
  • edited September 2011
    anthoto1 wrote: »
    I agree.

This.
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2011
    Then why isn't it called Jurassic Park: The Interactive Movie?
    Because it's a game.

It just has a story told in more of a cinematic style than traditional 3D game tropes.
  • edited September 2011
    Sinaz20 wrote: »
    Because it's a game.

It just has a story told in more of a cinematic style than traditional 3D game tropes.

You mean a game with BTTF-like childish puzzles ?
  • edited September 2011
    The QTE's in Jurassic Park are fun, unless you are just a player who has absolutely zero interest in pressing buttons. We put a lot of effort into putting QTE style inputs into the world in such a way that your attention to the inputs and attention to the action on screen are not mutually exclusive. The action scenes are rewarding-- they aren't like Resident Evil where you spend an hour of gameplay honing skill then are instakilled by a surprise QTE input. Failing at JP is part of the fun, and often times when we are testing the game, it becomes just as fun a challenge to suppress our gamer instinct in order to fail and see a cool death sequence.

That's what I want to hear! :)

Personally I don't know why every player want to make of JP their own personal game. Maybe because it's a brand that can be used in many ways - from an action game to a Park creator.

Why everyone is so worried? I mean, the game is 99% done, what do you wanna do, to cancel it? To change it? And why? Why we base our opinion on 5 minutes videos on youtube? If Dead Island would have been as beauty as 1/10 of the trailer they made, it would have been a fantastic game. But to me it's just sufficient, and not too far from the JP graphics - but no one complains.
    Don't trust videos too much, after all when you play your involvement will surely be different (better or not).

Let developers do their job.
    I really like that they choosed the hardest way. This game could have been another Turok or Tomb Raider - but do we really need it?
    In the end I don't know if the game will be good; BUT it surely will not be anonymous, and may be unique in it's own personality.

Don't let prejudice spoil your fun!
    edited September 2011
    I agree.

"Proper gameplay" is a subjective criteria.

The gameplay is proper to the experience we have created-- the gameplay and experience are symbiotic of each other.

If it turns out to not appeal to you, then it will just be a game that you didn't like and maybe Hector or Puzzle Agent 2 or Walking Dead or Fables will be something more inline with your interests. But JPTG will still be a game.

EDIT: Also, why can't we blur the line? Why does it have to be either a game or a movie? Why can't it be, in some experimental way, both? Ultimately, it's an experience that requires user interaction with an input device attached to a gaming console that challenges reflexes and observation and reasoning to progress. It also has mechanics, goals, and a system for tracking progress and success. People can't just throw it into their Blu-Ray player and expect it to entertain them on it's own.
  • edited September 2011
    If it turns out to not appeal to you, then it will just be a game that you didn't like and maybe Hector or Puzzle Agent 2 or Walking Dead or Fables will be something more inline with your interests.

LOL!!!
    Some Telltale's followers seems to be forced to play EVERY game Telltale do.
    They forgot that they can also skip - maybe others will be interested in place of them. :D
    Why can't it be, in some experimental way, both?

Here I see the sparkle of the best Telltale: "EXPERIMENTAL". :)
  • edited September 2011
    You know, I've yet to see a post by Sinaz that I've disagreed with. Why not blur the line? It's getting to a point where video games are able to tell a great, cinematic story. Take it up a notch.
    edited September 2011
    You know, I've yet to see a post by Sinaz that I've disagreed with. Why not blur the line? It's getting to a point where video games are able to tell a great, cinematic story. Take it up a notch.
    Thanks...

I'm honestly sorry that we can't please every gamer in the world, and it's especially sad that we can't at least instantly please all of our most loyal fans.

But I also think there is an unrealistic level of expectation placed on us based solely on what other companies can do with nearly unlimited resources and years to develop games. And what do you even get out of such an endeavor most of the time? Just another shooter... just another racer... just another sandbox game. Well, JP isn't just another point and click adventure nor is it just another movie tie-in game.

Give it a chance to show you where it shines.
  • edited September 2011
    It honestly just comes down to, "if you don't like it you're not forced to play it". There's plenty of other games to play that may be more to your interest.

But think of it this way, if the "game" is successful what can you expect from Universal?

More JP games? Different genre JP games that may attract you more than JP:TG?

In the end it's all apart of the push towards making JP a viable franchise again.

With the upcoming Blu-Ray DVD Trilogy release and the rumored JPIV finally back to the forefront it appears we're seeing a new dawn on the JP franchise.

Jurassic Park: The Game is just one small catalyst to rebooting the much loved franchise.
  • edited September 2011
    People judge Jurassic Park because it is doing something different. So many games get overlooked for this exact reason. Expecting it to be an open world shooter is just unrealistic. I guess people expect shooting, or it isn't considered a proper game.
  • edited September 2011
    Masta23 wrote: »
    People judge Jurassic Park because it is doing something different. So many games get overlooked for this exact reason. Expecting it to be an open world shooter is just unrealistic. I guess people expect shooting, or it isn't considered a proper game.

Personnally, I don't judge JPTG because it looks different, I judge it because it looks bad in its own way. If you want to make an interactive movie filled with QTE and simple puzzles, at least, make it look sexy ! JPTG looks like a 10 year-old-game with no gameplay.
    edited September 2011
    Personnally, I don't judge JPTG because it looks different, I judge it because it looks bad in its own way. If you want to make an interactive movie filled with QTE and simple puzzles, at least, make it look sexy ! JPTG looks like a 10 year-old-game with no gameplay.

:rolleyes:

The game looks great.

...and... it's a game.

Oh... nevermind. Everyone else, I hope you have a good time playing the game... it's a blast.
  • edited September 2011
    The game looks great.

Yep it does look great... according to 2002 standards.

I'm well aware of the budget limitations of your team so I understand why the global presentation is that bad for a 2011 game. There is not point in saying that it looks great when it just doesn't.
  • edited September 2011
    Yep it does look great... according to 2002 standards.

I'm well aware of the budget limitations of your team so I understand why the global presentation is that bad for a 2011 game. There is not point in saying that it looks great when it just doesn't.

Then don't play it and leave the forums where you won't hear any more of this great crime to gaming history...you've made your point.
    When ever I dont' like something I stay away from it. I don't go on the internet and complain
  • edited September 2011
    Thanks...

I'm honestly sorry that we can't please every gamer in the world, and it's especially sad that we can't at least instantly please all of our most loyal fans.

But I also think there is an unrealistic level of expectation placed on us based solely on what other companies can do with nearly unlimited resources and years to develop games. And what do you even get out of such an endeavor most of the time? Just another shooter... just another racer... just another sandbox game. Well, JP isn't just another point and click adventure nor is it just another movie tie-in game.

Give it a chance to show you where it shines.

Oh my word! You are my favorite now. Honestly I grew up with games that were on the SNES. There comes a time where you get fed up with the whining for better graphics. Gameplay makes a game good, if all you want is a pretty game then you honestly are missing the whole point. And you're right, people are putting to much expectation on this project, and I'm just greatful that we're getting a new jurassic park game. They probably won't make one for another two or three years anyway, if that. People if you're going to complain about this game, you have that right, but you're honestly wasting your precious time when you could be spending it looking at other games that you think you would enjoy more. This isn't just a game to some of us. It's more like... a trip back to our childhood, and at some point we just want some of you kids who are complaining to leave.
  • edited September 2011
    My whole thing is that I don't get where everyone's getting the whole "Graphics are bad" thing from. The game looks great. he's talking about it looking like games from ten years ago but he needs to double check that because there is no game from 2001 that looks as good as he thinks they do.
  • edited September 2011
    mannyguy1 wrote: »
    Then don't play it and leave the forums where you won't hear any more of this great crime to gaming history...you've made your point.
    When ever I dont' like something I stay away from it. I don't go on the internet and complain

The title of this topic is : "IGN is worried...maybe TellTale should listen?"

If I'm correct, this topic was made to express concerns about the game, wasn't it ?
  • edited September 2011
    My whole thing is that I don't get where everyone's getting the whole "Graphics are bad" thing from. The game looks great. he's talking about it looking like games from ten years ago but he needs to double check that because there is no game from 2001 that looks as good as he thinks they do.

I agree.
    JP graphics improved (ambient occlusion, motion blur, etc) since the E3 presentation. And, even if you still don't like it, I think it's quite in the "standard" range.
    Playing Deus Ex these days, only few spots are graphically excellent, the rest are not so far from JP's quality:

0054.jpg
    199fde99bc154207651890346c10c4f75c2a353b_large.jpg
    deus-ex-human-revolution-letitia-the-trash-lady-1080p-hd-youtube.jpeg
  • edited September 2011
    I really doubt Telltale can ruin JP, park builders really don't suit the game well. I remember that one Jurassic Park game which was for JP3, and it got cancelled when it was finished due to budget issues. Tresspasser was fun, only to see the heart tattoo and the 3D boobs.

I believe this game will be great...Hopefully.
  • edited September 2011
    God JP fans are so damn hard to please, nothing Universal does can satisfy their damn dirty attitude. Telltale is a small company, they can't whip out a Jurassic Park Crysis game in the snap of my 2 fingers.

We have the people disappointed with BTTF, I really can see why, but that's just cause BTTF was released before it was even proof checked. But look at Activision, CoD uses the same engine, and that game sells like nobody's business. But IGN doesn't care, no siree lets go on an Indie company and say their game is bad and ignore CoD which used the same engine CoD 4 used, Valve uses the same engine, but atleast they upgrade it from time to time.

But I guess you die hard fanboys need everything to be PERFECT or else it's just another bad game.

Telltale, I appreciate the hard work being put into this game. Ignore IGN and the die hard fanboys, they're hard to please. It would be amazing if Steven Spielberg actually played this game, and hopefully the AVGN does aswell.
    edited September 2011
    I agree.
    JP graphics improved (ambient occlusion, motion blur, etc) since the E3 presentation. And, even if you still don't like it, I think it's quite in the "standard" range.
    Playing Deus Ex these days, only few spots are graphically excellent, the rest are not so far from JP's quality:
    [snip]
    I've been playing JP daily, and at home playing games like Crysis2, Killzone 2, and Portal 2... so many 2's. And although JP doesn't have the same quantity of geometry in regards to sheer "level" size, the quality overall is on par, or hitting a mere bogey.

Plus, anthoto1 keeps comparing the graphics to 2001... and I honestly think he's forgotten what games looked like in 2001. We're talking the original Max Payne, the original Halo, and Grand Theft Auto III. JP looks worlds better than those games. It looks... I dunno... about 10 years ahead of them. Give or take two years.

Also, compare JP to some of our pre-Universal games. JP and BttF have really helped to push the extents and features of our engine in new directions. For the first time, we're incorporating mo-capped characters and we're doing extensive creature FX. We've developed new shaders like sub-surface scattering-- which I just don't see that often in other games.

Also @Anthoto1: Yes, this thread seems to be about expressing concerns and getting Telltale to listen. Well, I'm here, and I'm listening, and I'm mitigating. If some of the concerns seem a bit misguided to me, I'll try to remedy them with my own counter-points. So far, I'm trying to assure you that things aren't as bad as IGN and some board members make them out to be.
  • edited September 2011
    I agree with this not only do the graphics look better than previous telltale games. The animation is more fluid. Jurassic Park is a Overhaul. I got to play it at Pax. I was always at the booth playing it..The game is fun and challenging.

People are more pre-occupied with how something should look to them, or what the design of the game should be. I will guarantee when November comes the game is going to be awesome.
  • edited September 2011
    I do want to say that I posted this a while back before getting to see some new stuff. I know think that TellTale has the game right.
  • edited September 2011
    Also @Anthoto1: Yes, this thread seems to be about expressing concerns and getting Telltale to listen. Well, I'm here, and I'm listening, and I'm mitigating. If some of the concerns seem a bit misguided to me, I'll try to remedy them with my own counter-points. So far, I'm trying to assure you that things aren't as bad as IGN and some board members make them out to be.

I've already ordrered the game and I'll play it anyway. I'll hope it will prove me wrong. :)
  • edited September 2011
    I've already ordrered the game and I'll play it anyway. I'll hope it will prove me wrong. :)

Of course you ordered the game...Shocker!

And most people on this tread who are bashing the game...ohhh i'm sorry..."expressing their concerns" will probably do the same.
  • edited September 2011
    Of course you ordered the game...Shocker!

And most people on this tread who are bashing the game...ohhh i'm sorry..."expressing their concerns" will probably do the same.

Take Valium if you want to live in a critic-free world.
  • edited September 2011
    Take Valium if you want to live in a critic-free world.

Alright...Can you please give me one?
    Also. Did you take one right before ordering the game? Or was it because of the gun being held to your head? Cause I sure wouldn't buy a game that had "crappy characters", "childish puzzles", and didn't look "sexy" to me....
  • edited September 2011
    Alright...Can you please give me one?
    Also. Did you take one right before ordering the game? Or was it because of the gun being held to your head? Cause I sure wouldn't buy a game that had "crappy characters", "childish puzzles", and didn't look "sexy" to me....

I'm a JP fan and I want to give the game a chance even if it looks bad. Why are you so mad, are you a Telltale shareholder or something ? Are you 12 ?
  • edited September 2011
    Also, compare JP to some of our pre-Universal games. JP and BttF have really helped to push the extents and features of our engine in new directions. For the first time, we're incorporating mo-capped characters and we're doing extensive creature FX. We've developed new shaders like sub-surface scattering-- which I just don't see that often in other games.

True and welcome! :D
    Yeah, the TT engine is now full of effects, fortunately. And, as I said, it's not so distant from nowadays usual game's graphic.

My wish is that the next Telltale game will use Tessellation. It would be the Holy Grail for Telltale - a routine that calculates almost automatically polygons and adds details as they came closer to camera (quite like LOD, but more efficient). That and a little bit of extra size for textures. :P

But the core must be the involvement and the emotion the game delivers.
  • edited September 2011
    My question is: Will Telltale ever make actual adventure games again? Ones that involve exploration of diverse environments with puzzles related to the collection and use of inventory items and environmental interactions? Will King's Quest be a perversion of the adventure genre capitalizing on the KQ name and players' nostalgia? Adventure games should always be seeking to increase the amount of exploration and player interaction, not decreasing and streamlining it so that the games basically play themselves. Increasing the amount of exploration and possibilities for interaction increases player immersion. Streamlining and simplifying, by contrast, does exactly the opposite. This was the mistake BttF made, and which seems to be getting exponentially worse with the way JP is designed.
  • edited September 2011
    This thread is still going? Every time I come to the forum I'm excited to see what everyone's talking about and this thread is always on top, its too bad.
  • edited September 2011
    My question is: Will Telltale ever make actual adventure games again?

Hector was just released 2 weeks ago... next episode due soon.
  • edited September 2011
    The only concern I have is I hope the voice quality isn't bad like the BTTF games. Not the actors, just the quality of the sound.
  • edited September 2011
    the general problem A LOT of game developers are facing is the idea of a need to sell the games to almost everyone.
    what happened to pop music and hollywood is now also taking place in the video game industry and is called here: accessability.
    everyone should enjoy the game, also people who didn't play in the past.
    there should be no frustration in the game. let's make them easier.
    a main-stream product for the masses... the more people are buying the game, the more we will earn.

unfortunately it often takes away any substance a game has got.
    resulting in what we call fast-food.

BTTF:TG hasn't got any challenge for adventure gamers. it was not only way too easy but also lacked of several typical adventure elements (such as an inventury, combination of items...). wouldn't be bad if it had developed in some way. but it hasn't. it was also said it was made for the fans of the franchise. well, thats actually a nice step and for sure TTG took care of the BTTF license but they completely ignored adventure gamers or an adventure game in general. they mostly made a BTTF:IV with the T³-engine and let viewers press some buttons to continue the story.

allthough I also enjoyed the adventure it basically has no attraction beside the license. it's a very bad game in fact. the BTTF license is the core.

but as the sales show, it was the most successfull telltale game of all time.
    so from an economic point of view, why should they change their strategies for jurassic park?
  • edited September 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »
    so from an economic point of view, why should they change their strategies for jurassic park?

Ethics? Professional pride? A desire not to fill an already-bloated industry with yet more crappy products? Eh, who are we kidding? Money talks.
  • edited September 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »

This is a good point.
    Personally I don't think difficulty will ever arise in TT games. Maybe King's Quest will be a little more difficult (like Tales), but definitely not as difficult as the old Lucasarts games. It's a pity, because they got a very powerful hint system that it's pretty useless if games are so simple like BTTF - and it's also a waste of resources to make 3 levels of hints, people writing them, people testing them, people debugging them for every platform, and all for such an easy game.

One could think: maybe they need to be mainstream to survive. This is true, but to what extent? When (or "if ever") Telltale will reach the point of leaving "casual gamers" for "hardcore players"?

I remember Chuck Jordan (who doesn't work at TT anymore - at least in a continuos way) saying this about difficulty in TT games:
    Chuck wrote: »
    [...] to act like complaints about puzzle difficulty or game length (or number of locations) are anything new in regards to Telltale games. Considering that every single series TTG has ever released has seen these complaints, and people who should know better insist on acting like they have no idea what types of games TTG makes. And they're shocked and disappointed and swear they're never going to play another one until the next series, when they come back and repeat the whole process.

Masochism? :p
    edited September 2011
    Ethics? Professional pride? A desire not to fill an already-bloated industry with yet more crappy products? Eh, who are we kidding? Money talks.
    Money also keeps our studio operating.

We're not like... a volunteer fire brigade.
  • edited September 2011
    It's a pity, because they got a very powerful hint system that it's pretty useless if games are so simple like BTTF - and it's also a waste of resources to make 3 levels of hints, people writing them, people testing them, people debugging them for every platform, and all for such an easy game.

This is such a good point. They've gone through all the trouble of developing this 3-tiered hint system, where the final tier just tells you the answer to any given puzzle, and yet, they design puzzles that require no critical thinking or logic to solve. In a game with complex puzzles, the hint system would be a god-send, and would contribute to the sense of overall balance in the game. But as it stands now, it's a ridiculous redundancy. Why not design games that actually take thought to play and complete, and let the hint system shine for those who need it?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.