"The Key Party" - New teaser by Telltale - it's Poker Night 2!

Comments

• edited April 2013
    I'm hoping this'll be available as a preorder before its official release, as I'd like to make this the very first game I've ever preordered in my life.
  • Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Made some updated iOS backgrounds.

http://imgur.com/a/txok7#0
  • edited April 2013

Those are sweet. Swiping for my own iOS.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2013
    I've been hoping someone would give an official yay or nay on this, but I'll just throw out the question again and direct it at Puzzlebox:
    Will there be any multiplayer at any time, be it on release or in a later update/DLC?

Edit: I'll leave this as my last time asking, cause I'm already happy that the game is gonna be out :3

I can't speak to the future, but this one is single player. There are lots of multiplayer poker games out there... I think the uniqueness of the Telltale Poker Night games is the chance to play with a disparate cast of characters you'd never expect to see together, and hear the banter between them.

Those are so awesome, I tweeted the link. :)
  • edited April 2013
    The hard question is which one do I use- Claptrap, Sam or GLaDOS?
  • edited April 2013
    hey wait that doesn't sound like Bruce Campbell..... What gives?
  • HoboStewHoboStew Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2013
    I've been hoping someone would give an official yay or nay on this, but I'll just throw out the question again and direct it at Puzzlebox:
    Will there be any multiplayer at any time, be it on release or in a later update/DLC?

People asked about this in the first game too, and the answer is the same: Poker Night is all about the characters you are playing with and the special items you can win. The poker is fun, sure, but you can't have the wacky interactions with these characters with multiplayer; it only works with single player. If its multiplayer you want, there are plenty of other options out there.
  • edited April 2013
    The sad thing is, people are STILL dead certain on it possibly being a prank.

Actually, this will potentially increase its visibility over time, with people having evoking "Oh, I remember hearing about that," and "ZOMG! It's real!" reactions that continue beyond the initial launch hype.

I imagine it was intentional.
  • edited April 2013
    I know this is a small thing but why did TTG decide to change Sam's suit from blue to black? I'm just wondering since in almost every Sam & Max thing i have seen (Which would mean some episodes of the cartoon, S&M Hit the Road, and S&M Seasons 1-3 and it seems weird to change it now :/
  • edited April 2013
    The fact that every time a dev comes on here, it's to answer something other than the BC line of query is a pretty good sign that it's not him...
  • edited April 2013
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    Meta-prank. The joke is, it's not a joke.

Fixed it for ya. ;)

Couldn't resist.

Multiplayer could work a rather easily from the design standpoint, actual coding would however take a while (obviously.) Still it does not really fit for this game.

Though it would be hilarious have Max or GLaDOS take a spot as an player.
  • edited April 2013
    Yeah, Sam's looking a bit weird here, what's going on?
  • edited April 2013
    Ash735 wrote: »
    Yeah, Sam's looking a bit weird here, what's going on?
    Clearly after the end of The Devil's Playhouse, Sam couldn't accept the new Max as HIS Max, and changed the color of his suit to black to mourn him.

Or the old suit didn't look good in the Poker Night lighting engine, so they found a color that did.
  • edited April 2013
    I know this is a small thing but why did TTG decide to change Sam's suit from blue to black? I'm just wondering since in almost every Sam & Max thing i have seen (Which would mean some episodes of the cartoon, S&M Hit the Road, and S&M Seasons 1-3 and it seems weird to change it now :/

Because it worked so well for The Spirit.

Actually, I always thought Sam's suit was meant to be gray, it just took on a light blue tint in bright light. So naturally it would take on a darker tint in the Inventory's new darker lighting.
  • edited April 2013
    I'd assume both in animation as well as the original LucasArts game, grey would really look awful, which is why oftentimes you don't see true grey on most (old) games and cartoons, mostly either khaki or blueish.
  • edited April 2013
    I say thanks to Puzzle and Hobo for the response. I'm okay with the single player, and should be great fun XD
    The Omaha Style is something good for a new challenge
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2013
    wellgolly wrote: »
    Telltale Employees, may I ask what your idea of who "The Player" is supposed to be?

Are they supposed to be their own character, since they've apparently been around since your first card game?
    Now that they're dragging loot around to multiple other games, I guess the implication is also that they're you, the person controlling whatever characters you control in any game.

But now non-video game characters are here, so I guess it extends outside of just games.

Am I ever not playing as The Player?

This shit is giving me an existential crisis.

The Player is you. Official canon is that you did very well in Poker 1, by the way. Nice job.

Sam's new model may take a minute to grow on you, but I'm repeatedly blown away by how much closer to Steve Purcell's drawings he looks when he's shot from all sorts of interesting angles. It makes the old Sam look cheesy as all heck, and I really like old Sam!

Sam's suit is only really blue in Hit the Road, probably because as said above it would look really boring in a 2D game with no lighting. In the comics it's always drawn grey, tinted a little by the color of the light in the room Sam's in.
  • ttg_Stemmlettg_Stemmle Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2013
    Jake wrote: »
    The Player is you. Official canon is that you did very well in Poker 1, by the way. Nice job.

Sam's new model may take a minute to grow on you, but I'm repeatedly blown away by how much closer to Steve Purcell's drawings he looks when he's shot from all sorts of interesting angles. It makes the old Sam look cheesy as all heck, and I really like old Sam!

Sam's suit is only really blue in Hit the Road, probably because as said above it would look really boring in a 2D game with no lighting. In the comics it's always drawn grey, tinted a little by the color of the light in the room Sam's in.

What Jake said. One of the wishlist items we had for PN2 was "get Sam's model even closer to his Purcellian roots." When I compare THIS Sam model to the one were using in the late, lamented Freelance Police game, it fair boggles my mind.

Of course, my mind is boggled with an alarming frequency.

Mike "still trying to work out the rubberized Kirby perspective guns" Stemmle
  • edited April 2013
    What Jake said. One of the wishlist items we had for PN2 was "get Sam's model even closer to his Purcellian roots." When I compare THIS Sam model to the one were using in the late, lamented Freelance Police game, it fair boggles my mind.

By the way, speaking of the Freelance Police game, when are you going to get the rights to it from LucasArts/Disney?
  • edited April 2013
    So are you guys going to make a bigger trailer for Poker Night 2, like with Poker Night 1?

For example, you guys made the teaser for Poker Night 1 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOUUjSJa1gQ

But then you released the REALLY snazzy trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6HN3TsI8cw

Are you going to do something similar for Poker Night 2? Or, since it's coming out late this month, are you just going to leave it as it is? I'd assume you'd want to make another one to announce the release date, other platforms, and price. Plus, it'd be great to hear some character quotes.
  • edited April 2013

Really? Why pick the canon that very few people got to see :p
  • edited April 2013

Based on my stats, I'd say that's probably more of a retcon than canon.
  • edited April 2013
    So with this talk of trying to get Sam as close to his comic design as possible, ....you got anything planned with this? May I remind you that some of us are still waiting for the Season 3 OST! Come on TellTale you really dropped Sam & Max into a void zone from BTTF onwards.
  • edited April 2013
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Really? Why pick the canon that very few people got to see :p
    Speak for yourself: I win about eighty percent of tournaments I play. (But then, I figured out how the AI works and as a result I can read it and play far better than I would be able to otherwise.)

Speaking of the AI, will it be smarter--and thus, much harder to learn--this go around?
  • edited April 2013
    Kyronea wrote: »
    Speak for yourself: I win about eighty percent of tournaments I play. (But then, I figured out how the AI works and as a result I can read it and play far better than I would be able to otherwise.)

Speaking of the AI, will it be smarter--and thus, much harder to learn--this go around?

poker AI is always stupid, so unless they cheat, all you have to do is raise often and just muscle out the AI with more money, but i guess learning their styles is interesting and a more efficient way of winning

does that mean wrong and messed up perspective guns cause i think i got that covered

sam_and_max_lee_and_clementine_by_thestalkinghead-d5jedsx.png

http://fav.me/d5jedsx

and maybe the joke was "the key party" and the funny part was that it wasn't a key party. ho ho ho
  • edited April 2013
    Defininitely not Bruce Campbell - from Twitter:

@dulissa: @GroovyBruce is that you doing the voice work for Ash in PokerNight 2? Negative.
    2:27 AM - 02 Apr 13
  • edited April 2013

So, should I be expecting royalties for use of my likeness, then? I don't remember signing any contracts, Telltales.
  • edited April 2013
    wellgolly wrote: »
    So, should I be expecting royalties for use of my likeness, then? I don't remember signing any contracts, Telltales.

Better read the EULA next time.
  • edited April 2013
    In hindsight, having a Homestar Runner character again would be cool because then we could have this as an unlockable PSN background.
  • edited April 2013

It didn't take a second to grow on me. I instantly fell in love with it. It looks hand drawn! Snout's slicker! Like you said, closer to Purcell's which is a big plus in my book.

I can't wait to see this game!!
  • edited April 2013

That's pretty generous.

Would be even better if I didn't have the first game already, but still. :p
  • edited April 2013
  • edited April 2013
    card.png
  • edited April 2013

where can you preorder this on steam? i can't find it
  • edited April 2013
    You can't yet. The site Gman linked to looks through Steam's database and finds entries that haven't been fully released yet.
  • edited April 2013
    where can you preorder this on steam? i can't find it
    mosfet wrote: »
    You can't yet. The site Gman linked to looks through Steam's database and finds entries that haven't been fully released yet.

Yeah this. I'm guessing that since they have the preorder set in the database, they are just about to announce preorders/pricing and hopefully a release date.
  • edited April 2013
    They said they updated Sam's graphics for this game. Am I mistaken, or was Max also updated? On the official Poker Night 2 website, Max walks around. And his nose is black, not pink. So both Sam and Max were updated? That's exciting.
  • edited April 2013
    I think the main reason we may not yet have heard the dates is because of the certification process over on the console side. I don't know anything about how things go PS3-side, but I've heard the X360 one is very time consuming and such.

There's also the chance that the Sony/Microsoft guys don't like how networking is done code-wise and have a need to redo how that's done, and so forth. The little things.

I'd still be happy if they found a time machine and turn out to have released it yesterday in the revised time-space continuum, though.
  • edited April 2013
    So, apparently, Telltale Games sneaked some peaks for Poker Night 2 yesterday at AMD's Fan Day.

Did anyone go? Or know someone who did?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.