The dark before the dawn. Interactive story

Comments

• [Bring Riley and Carmen to Alcatraz]

mr.quality posted: »

Adam Johnson Adam eyed the young girl. She was pale, even though for the past months they'd been camped out in the desert. "We need yo

• [Bring Riley and Carmen to Alcatraz]

Adam Johnson Adam eyed the young girl. She was pale, even though for the past months they'd been camped out in the desert. "We need yo

• Lester Williams

“We don’t need to try to press our luck right now. Katie’s to injured to make that kind of journey right now, and if there’s a chance we can get help that’s close to here, I think we should take it.” Lester said.

“I suppose that’s the best course of action then.” Carlson agreed.

……………………….

Fifteen minutes later

“You think we should get a white flag? You know, so they don’t shoot at us?” Carlson asked. Lester shook his head and sighed.

“If I remember one thing from Vietnam, it’s that angry people don’t care about a flag of peace unless it’s stained with blood.” Lester said. Carlson pondered over these words for a moment.

“And what’s that supposed to mean?” He asked. Before Lester got the chance to answer a man jumped out of the bushes from the left and stood in front of the wagon, gun raised.

“It means they’re going to kill us anyways.” Lester finally said.

“Don’t move! Off the wagon!” The man yelled. Lester complied and jumped off the side, followed by Carlson. The man made a signal to the woods and a large group emerged, they circled the wagon and one of the checked Lester and Carlson for any weapons.

“They’re clear.” He said.

“The hell are two old Network agents doing in this neck of the woods?” The leader said.

“We’re not Network.” Lester said. “We’re civilians, and we have news.” He said.

“What kind of news?” He asked.

“It’s about Katie DiCanto, She’s-“ Lester said.

“She’s dead. We know. You showed up to the party a little late.” The leader said.

“Hey, If found something.” Someone said from behind the wagon. “Looks like a coffin.”

“Open it up, tell me what you see.” He said. “You guys from the mount?” He asked.

“The mount?” Lester asked.

“Mt Vernon. You guys from around there?” He asked.

“Yeah. That’s where we came from.” Lester answered.

“How’s it there? What’s it like?” He asked.

“It’s heavily guarded, if that’s what you’re asking.” Lester said.

“Good enough for me.” He said. There was the sound of breaking wood.

“What the?” One man said. “Holy shit! Katie!” Another busted out.

“What?” The leader asked.

“It’s Katie, she’s here. Right here.” Someone answered. “And she’s alive.” They continued. The leader snapped his attention back to Lester.

“How did you?” He asked.

“I found her at the bottom of a cliff, barely alive. I took her to Mt Vernon where I was told she was some scout. Carlson’s to one that told me who she was. We worked together and got her out of there before anyone found out who she was. We we’re trying to find a resistance group that she was with, and it looks like we found it.”

“Damn right.” He said. “Let move! On the double, get her to the lodge.” He commanded the group. “And you two, you’re welcome to hang around if you want.” He said.

“We really don’t have anywhere to go. We really can’t go back there, they’ll be to suspicious.” Carlson said.

“Understandable. Our base is just up the hill, if you’d like to bring the wagon around.” He said.

“Sure thing.” Lester said as he turned and climbed back up onto the wagon.

Adam Johnson

“We bring them with us. The medicine we get may not be enough.” Adam said. “We need to at least take the chance.”

“Alright. Let’s… Let’s get a helicopter ready.” The older Ann said, though she sounded unsure and a bit lost. Adam placed a hand on her shoulder.

“Hey, We’re going to do everything we can. I promise.” Adam said. Ann brushed off his hand and looked at him with pained eyes.

“Don’t make a promise you can’t deliver on. I learned that the hard way.” She said, as she turned to leave. Adam sighed as he hung his head and watched her walk away, but then he turned his attention back to Elias. He walked through the tent over to where he sat, hanging onto Riley’s hand. It was sad seeing something like this, they were just kids. They deserved better than this, a lot better than this. But instead they were here, with Riley bleeding out internally and Elias right next to her unable to do anything. It made him furious, not at any one thing in particular, but the world. He was angry at everything, the Network, the Strykers, the damn Desert. None of it was right, none of it was fair. None of it was humane.

“Elias.” Adam eventually spoke. Elias shifted his gaze upwards. His blue eyes held an ocean of tears that had not yet fallen.

“You’re going to fix her, right?” He asked. Adam shifted uncomfortably, sighing.

“We’re going to try Elias, I can’t promise a hail Mary or anything.” Adam said, he just couldn’t bring himself to saying that everything was going to be fine. That’s all he’d done his entire life ever since his brother died. Everything will be okay, someday. That’s all he ever told himself, but now. Now the lie didn’t work, the truth hurt much more than any wound. But the lie would be like rubbing salt in it.

“This is straight fucked up.” Elias muttered. “Her parents were murdered when she was like eight, you know. She was legally adopted by the guy that did this to her.” He continued, motioning to Riley’s battered body.

“Nothing’s ever going to be fair, Elias. I think we all know that. But we’re going to do our damnedest to even the playing field.” Adam said. Elias slowly nodded as Riley gave a small whimper and clasped his hand tighter.

“Then you better going.” He said.

“How are we looking?” Ann asked, over the roar of the helicopter blades. The cabin was a little crowded with Carmen and a half conscious Riley in there with the rest of them.

“We’re about five minutes out; we’re over San Fran right now. Get ready to move.” Adam responded as he continued piloting the chopper. “Ann, where am I putting this thing down at?” Adam asked.

“When we get over the island, you’ll notice a building that has a helipad on it. Put it down up there and we’ll go in through the roof access, it’s a lot quicker than the alternative.” The younger Ann said.

“What’s the alternative?” Adam asked.

“Jump out and swim.” Ann said sarcastically. Adam saw the small island appear in the distance, then it grew bigger as they approached.

“How do we know it’s clear?” Older Ann asked.

“We don’t.” Adam responded as he began to will the helicopter to land. The second they made contact on the pad, Adam killed the engine and the group got moving. The few medics they brought began carrying Carmen and Riley, while Adam and the older Ann took the lead weapons drawn. The younger Ann gave directions and spouted out random facts. Adam thrust his Barrett rec7 through the doorway and scanned the area.

“Clear!” He announced as they continued down the hallway. It seemed oddly taken care of, like no one had been in here to disturb it.

“Take a left up here. It’s at the end of the hallway.” Young Ann said, and then whispered to herself. “I really like what they’ve done with the place.” Adam rounded the corner and looked around, still nothing. At the end of the hallway was a door, Adam approached it and looked for a way to open it. There was no knob.

“Ann?” He asked.

“Oh, uh. It’s a new security feature thingy they installed.” She said, walking over to the wall where she found a panel and pulled it open to reveal a computer monitor and keyboard. She hit the power button and the computer booted up almost instantly.

“So they still have power. Good to know.” Adam said.

“Yeah, they converted to solar energy before the prison even reopened. It was part of the ‘Go Green’ initiative.” Ann said as she stared at the monitor. “Well darn.” She said.

“What is it?” Adam asked.

“Access code required.” Ann said. “Let’s see… One, five, nine, two, three, six, two, five?” She said as she hit the buttons. The screen flashed red and she stepped away, a shocked look on her face. “Uh, I don’t know the codes. My father had all of them memorized.” She said. Adam stepped forward and shouldered his rifle.

“Let me see.” He said as he stepped up to the keyboard. His fingers instantly began flying around the keyboard with pinpoint accuracy as he did one of the things he was good at, hacking. He lost track of time as he scanned the line of code, one after another, until.

Click

The door rolled to the left out of the way, revealing its pitch black interior.

“How did you?” The younger Ann asked.

“It’s one of the benefits of having a few computer degrees under your belt along with training with the military in computer hacking, to put it simply.” Adam said as he stepped forward into the dark room. As soon as he stepped inside, the lights came on and he nearly jumped.

“Sorry, forgot to warn you. Alcatraz has some state-of-the-art-“ Ann began. Adam raised his hand as he looked around in awe.

“Yeah, yeah. That’s good.” Adam muttered as he looked around. This facility, it was better than what he’d seen in most modern hospitals. The medics gleefully entered the room, laying Riley on one of the surgery tables and Carmen on another. The medics split themselves into two groups and went to one of the two. A few of the medics began searching to room.

“Adam, can you help me with something?” The head surgeon asked. Adam nodded and walked over, to see the surgeon messing with a large locked door. “The med’s are behind this door, but it’s locked. I was wondering if you could do your hacking thing again?” He asked.

“Ah, sure.” Adam said as he quickly pulled out his pistol and shot the lock, then shoved it back into his pocket.

“Of you can do that, that works to.” He said as the door swung open.

“Hard to hack something that isn’t computerized.” Adam said.

“That it would be.” The surgeon said, as if for the first time noticing the lock was not a computerized one. “Um, Adam. This is going to be really hand on and stuff. We need to keep this room sterile, if you catch what I’m saying.” He said.

“Uh-huh.” Adam said. “You don’t want me in here.” He deduced.

“Kinda. We would feel a lot safer if you were out there, checking the area to make sure it’s actually safe, you know?” He said.

“Yeah, I get it. I’ll take the Ann’s and get out of here so you can have the area.” Adam said.

“Thank you.” He said. “But just as a question, where are you headed? Just in case we need to know.” He asked.

Choice

[Courtyard]

[Cell block A]

[Wardens office]

• [Wardens office]

If my decade of gaming experience taught me anything, it's that a place like the Wardens office always contains something interesting. In all seriousness, it's as good as any other place to start looking around, and perhaps the Warden left something of interest. I'm not too familiar with how a prison actually looks like from the inside, but I guess the Wardens office could also contain a surveillance network, which would make checking the courtyard or the Cell Block redundant.

I am also glad for now that we decided to bring Katie to the resistance. I hope her connection to Zero will be enough to keep her safe from any Denver that might still creep around there. It's probably only a matter of time now until they will find his message and the resistance camp is definitely a good point to start a potentially dangerous journey with a heavily-injured girl to a completely different state.

Lester Williams “We don’t need to try to press our luck right now. Katie’s to injured to make that kind of journey right now, and if ther

• [Wardens office] Damn bro this is getting harder for me to choose, well the office it is.

Lester Williams “We don’t need to try to press our luck right now. Katie’s to injured to make that kind of journey right now, and if ther

• [Wardens office]

• [Wardens office]

• Lester Williams

The camp was in no terms big, but it seemed stable. As in the sense it could maintain itself. The people that occupied it seemed scared and tired, just like everyone else. But unlike everyone else, they put their fear aside and fought to go back to what they used to know. The entire camp seemed to be centered on a wood cabin with multiple tents dotting the landscape. By now a large group had gathered near the doorway trying to figure out what was going on. A few of them eyed Lester and Carlson suspiciously, but other than that there was no welcoming committee. Suddenly the large wooden door opened and a man stepped outside onto the porch.

“What’s going on in there?” On from the group called, the rest of them joining in on the chorus. The man simply raised his hand and after some time passed the mass fell silent.

“I have good news.” He began. “Screw that, I have great news.” He smiled across the crowd with blinding white teeth. He looked strange, just because he was wearing a suit and tie in a sea of rough and ragged fighters. “Our friend and mentor, Katie Dicanto, is alive!” He exclaimed, the crowd went into an upheaval of cheers and shouts. The man continued to smile as he stepped down from the porch and waded through the crowd towards Lester. He stuck his hand out and shook his hand.

“You’ve done us all a great favor, friend.” He said.

“You don’t look like you belong here, looking like that.” Lester said. The man narrowed his eyes at Lester and nearly laughed

“So you’re smarter than you look, good for you.” He said. “The name’s Ashton Anderson, I’m actually from Florida. I’m one of the, if not the most successful lawyer in America. I’ve single handedly given more aid to the resistance than some people will ever be able to give in a life time.” He said as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a card, handing it to Lester. It was a business card featuring his face on it.

“Sounds like you got yourself together.” Lester said. “So, If you’re from Florida, what brings you here to Virginia?” He asked.

“Business. I’m headed to Ohio, but needed to take a detour.” Ashton replied.

“Ohio? Whereabouts?” Lester asked.

“Wright Patterson.” Ashton replied.

“The Air Force base?” Lester asked.

“Yeah, except it’s not controlled by Fed’s anymore. The Network rolled through the area and they fled, right now it’s occupied by the Resistance. It’s one of the biggest camps in the country.” Ashton said.

“Holy shit… Lester.” Carlson said. Lester turned around and saw Carlson holding Katie’s coat.

“What?” Lester asked. Carlson lifted a note and handed it to him. Lester quickly read it over, and his heart sank.

“He knew.” Lester said.

“He knows where we are right now.” Carlson said. “And he wants us to go to Dayton?”

“That’s what the note says.” Lester said.

“Look, I don’t know what you’re talking about. And frankly I don’t care but, I’m already headed to Ohio. I’m leaving early tomorrow. And I guess you guys are welcome to tag along as long as you can pull your own weight.” Ashton said.

“But we’d have to leave Katie.” Lester said.

“This is her home, Lester. They treat her like a hero, you won’t have to worry.” Ashton said.

“I just don’t like leaving her like this.” Lester said.

“I can stay here if you want to go.” Carlson said.

“Yeah, see. Problem solved.” Ashton said. “So what do you say?”

Choice

[Leave with Ashton]

[Stay at the camp]

** Samu Kuusi**

Samu strained against the chains and managed to get the keys closer to him. He grasped the keys between his toes and lifted them towards his hands. All the while the masked man was still attempting to get to the girl, who was trying her damnedest to stay away from him. She was yelling, throwing things and flipping tables to slow him down. Though, he really did not seem fazed by this and kept coming at her. Samu managed to finally unlock his right arm and quickly went to his left. As soon as the chain fell he jumped up and turned to his left, where he saw the masked man holding the girl against the wall by her neck with his forearm. She was clawing at his arm and gasping for breath. Samu surged forward and took a swing. The man turned around just in time for Samu’s fist to make contact with the white plastic mask with a horrifying crack. At that time Samu was not sure if the cracking was his fist or the mask, either way it hurt like hell. Samu took a step back gripping his hand while the man staggered backwards.

“You son of a bitch!” He exclaimed as he regained his composure. He quickly tried to swing at Samu, but Samu caught his arm mid-swing. Samu then twisted the man’s arm until he heard a sickening snap. He let out a howl of pain as he fell to the floor. Samu kicked him in the face and he keeled over backwards. He turned to the girl.

“Let’s go!” He yelled. The girl made no indications of moving as she sat against the wall, staring into oblivion. Samu took a step towards her and felt a sharp pain in his leg. He let out a yell and fell to the ground as he stared at the knife now embedded in his leg. He looked up and saw the masked man standing nearby, griping his arm.

“I’m done with your games, Samu. I’ve tolerated them, but now I’m done.” He said, as he reached into his robes and pulled out a slick black 9mm. He cocked the hammer and lowered it to his forehead. “Say hi to your old man for me.” He said. Samu shut his eyes and waited for the inevitable, that never came. He heard the sound of something falling to the ground. He looked up and saw the masked man was no longer standing, but collapsed on the floor. A slender shiny blade sticking out from his neck. In his place now stood the girl, who still seemed like she wasn’t even here. She pointed towards the door.

“It’s unlocked.” She said, as she began to search through the man’s robes. She pulled out a small object and handed it to Samu. It was the flash drive from earlier.

“What is this?” Samu asked.

“I don’t know. It’s a flash drive. The Network wanted it, so I guess it’s better off with you.” She said. “Just a piece of advice, guard it with your life.”

“We should go.” Samu said.

“No, they’re already coming. We won’t get far. You go, run for your life. I’ll buy you some time.” She said as she picked up the man’s pistol, turning it over in her hands.

“I can’t leave you like this, you’re just a kid. Come on, let’s go.” Samu said.

“No, we don’t have time for this. Go.” She said.

“There’s gotta be another way.” Samu said. “A plan B.”

“This is plan B.” She snapped. “Look, I’ve fucked up enough already in my life. I’ve ruined to many other people. I want to do something right before die.” She said. “They’ve already evacuated civilians and most of this area is safe of Network, all you need to do is get out of here.”

Choice

[Leave her and go]

[Force her to come]

Adam Johnson

“We’ll be headed for the Warden’s office. Try to see if we can find anything.” Adam said. The medic nodded and walked off, back towards the group. Adam walked away towards the younger Ann, who was busy admiring the facility. The older Ann was hanging outside the room holding a cigarette in her hand.

“Hey Ann, I need your help.” Adam said to the younger Ann. She looked up at Adam.

“What can I do you for?” She asked.

“Warden’s office. You know where it is?” Adam asked.

“I know where everything is.” She said. “I know this prison like the back of my hand.”

“Well, lead the way if you would.” Adam asked. She nodded and began walking. “You know those things are going to kill you someday.” Adam joked as he walked past the older Ann, who slightly laughed at the joke, then threw the cigarette to the floor, extinguishing it with her boot.

“Where we headed?” She asked.

“Warden’s office.” The younger Ann replied.

“Any Idea how far it is?” Adam asked.

“It’s really just up these stairs.” The younger Ann said as she took a sudden left turn, pushing a door open to reveal a stairwell. She began going up the stairs and the others followed her. “So, Corporal.” She began.

“Yeah?” Adam asked, as he scanned the area while climbing the stairs.

“I’ve been thinking. You said my father was on a patrol, right?” She asked as she reached the second floor landing and opened the door. He comment hit Adam like a boulder but he forced the lie.

“Yeah. That’s what I said.” Adam said.

“I was thinking, if he was on patrol you could’ve just radioed for him to come back, or driven out there to get him. I know you said that you didn’t have time, but it seems that you somehow had the time to track me down even though you apparently knew where he was.” She said.

“What are you getting at?” Adam asked.

“He’s dead isn’t he?” She asked. “There’d be no other real reason. My father’s dead isn’t he?” She asked, as she stopped at a door. Without looking back at Adam she twisted the knob and walked in, quickly followed by Adam and Ann.

“Ann, if your-“ The older Ann began, sensing Adam wasn’t going to be able to uphold the lie. But she was cut short.

“Не шевелись” A woman said. Adam snapped his attention upwards and saw a woman standing behind a desk, holding a pistol. “Do not move.” She repeated, this time in English.

“Put down the gun!” Adam demanded.

“No, you first.” She said, then tilted her head as she looked at Adam. “United States military?” She asked.

“Yes, I’m with the Fed’s. I am Corporal Adam Johnson, this is Ann, and Ann.” Adam said. It took the woman a minute to respond but she dropped the gun to the desk and stepped back. She took a breath before speaking.

“I am Sasha Tarasov, I came to America with my news team to report the assassination of The SS Commander Viktor Vernov.” She said.

“Where is the rest of your team?” Adam asked. She looked away and closed her eyes for a little longer than a standard blink.

“They are dead.” She said. “We were on the bridge, the Golden Gate bridge. Some men wearing masks, they… They came out of nowhere. They didn’t ask any questions, they just started shooting.” She said, tears now coming down her cheeks. She lifted her shirt to reveal a nasty looking scar that looked like it could be infected. “They shot me, and thought I was dead. A man, Thomas, he saved me. He found me laying out there and brought me here. He did what he could, but… We couldn’t get into the med bay, I think it’s infected.” She said.

“And where is this Thomas?” The older Ann asked. Sasha nodded behind them.

“Right behind you.” She said. Adam turned around to see a man his size standing behind him. He was lanky as had pale skin, he was wearing glasses and his hair was a mess. It was pretty obvious he was unarmed, as he was standing with his hands up.

“You’re Thomas?” Adam asked, lowering his gun. The man nodded.

“T-Thomas Harlan.” He said shakily. “Please, Please don’t hurt us. Just take what you want and go.” Thomas said.

“No, Thomas. They are here to help. They are the Feds.” Sasha spoke, Thomas’ face relaxed.

“Thank God. We’ve waited so long.” Thomas said, as he walked into the room. He pulled a granola bar out of his pocket and handed it to Sasha, who waved it off.

“I’m not hungry Thomas.” She said.

“You haven’t eaten in a long time Sasha.” He said, placing the back of his hand on her forehead. “You’re burning up. I think this infection is taking hold. Do you guys have any medicine? Antibiotics? Clean bandages? Anything? The is bad and getting worse, she might die if we don’t do something.” Thomas said, without looking at anyone. “If I could get into that damned med bay, I’d have more than enough to treat this and fifty others. But the damn things locked up tight.”

Choice

[Give Thomas medicine]

[Lie and say you don’t have any]

• edited October 2015

[Stay at the camp]

[Force her to come]

[Lie and say you don’t have any]

Lester Williams The camp was in no terms big, but it seemed stable. As in the sense it could maintain itself. The people that occupied it

• [Stay at the camp]

I fully trust Lester and I know, he is one of the good guys. I don't, however, trust anyone else, including the people at the Resistance Camp, considering that her best friend at the camp was the one who nearly killed her. After Denver, I even have a hard time trusting Carlson. He could have helped Katie on Zero's orders, for all I know. Therefore, having a trustworthy man like Lester near her is for the best. Of course, it would be nice if a familiar face like Carlson could greet her when she wakes up, but I'd rather have a guy I fully trust at her side than a potential danger. However, it is not a good idea to leave Katie behind in general. From her dream, we know that someone wants her to go to Ohio and wants to give her the answer to some question once she's there. Considering that it has been the first thing she said when she sort of woke up in Zero's PoV, it still seems to be relevant for her. Since the nature of these dreams seems to be supernatural, I wouldn't be surprised if that's how she learns that the bastard who murdered her sister is still alive. But whatever it is she will find there, she needs to go there in the long run, and while it would have been easier and faster if Lester and Carlson would have just taken her with them, I think Lester is well-suited to follow after Carlson and Ashton, as soon as he and Katie realize that they have to go there. Hopefully that'll give her some time to recover, or at least, some time to wake up.

[Force her to come]

She helped him and I don't want to leave her behind, simple as that.

[Give Thomas medicine]

Ah, it's Thomas :D While I care a lot more for Katie than I care for him, he's still one of mine and a good man, so of course I'm nice to him :D

Lester Williams The camp was in no terms big, but it seemed stable. As in the sense it could maintain itself. The people that occupied it

• Sorry for not voting on these posts, I still have a lot of catching up to do :P

• Hey, welcome back. It's okay. Take your time and get caught back up. Feel free to ask any questions.

finlander posted: »

Sorry for not voting on these posts, I still have a lot of catching up to do :P

• Ah, yes. Thomas. I actually lost him a while ago. I meant to put him in a long time ago, but forgot. XD

[Stay at the camp] I fully trust Lester and I know, he is one of the good guys. I don't, however, trust anyone else, including the people

• I was already wondering what happened to him, but I am glad he's in now :D

Though, what do you mean with you lost him? If there's any info about him missing, I got it all saved in a word document and can send him again :)

Ah, yes. Thomas. I actually lost him a while ago. I meant to put him in a long time ago, but forgot. XD

• No, I lost him as in I forgot I had him and kept looking over him. I have all the info and stuff, thanks though.

I was already wondering what happened to him, but I am glad he's in now Though, what do you mean with you lost him? If there's any info about him missing, I got it all saved in a word document and can send him again

• [Stay at the camp]

Lester is a good man and if anything happens with the resistance camp or if more resistance members turn out to work for Zero, he is a good choice to keep an eye on Katie until she recovers. Nice to see Ashton by the way, he was great :D

[Force her to come]

[Give Thomas medicine]

• **Dillon**

Taking a car seemed like a much better option that riding on horseback from here to the capital. In a car they’d at least be a lot faster and mildly safer, right? It took them a couple of minutes of searching but they eventually found the car they were looking for, it was a beat up old Ford Explorer that looked like it’d seen much better days, but thankfully it started and ran just fine. The only thing that bothered Dillon was the fact that the gas gage was broken; therefor he had no clue as to how far they’d get before running out of gas. Cruz insisted they’d be fine, if the bandits didn’t murder them.

“So, what even brought you to Mexico in the first place?” Miguel asked, in an attempt to start a conversation.

“I am with some fighters in Texas. They thought it would be a good idea to get in an alliance with Mexico if we want to ever end this thing with the Network.” Dillon said.

“So you’re with the Resistance? It seems like your skills would go to better use somewhere else.” Miguel said.

“Yeah, well. In an ideal world a 16 year old kid wouldn’t be saving your ass.” Dillon said. Miguel cracked a smile as he turned to the girl and began to talk. She seemed distraught, scared. It was understandable. Dillon almost felt sorry for the girl, but how sorry can you feel when you don’t even remember her name? Wait, Maya. That’s her name.

“So, how much farther until we reach la capital?” Dillon asked.

“Not sure, but we’ve been driving for quite some time now.” Cruz said as he checked the gages. “I’d say we’ll get there in a couple of minutes, if not less.” He said. Maya suddenly yelled something that Dillon did not understand but it caused Cruz to narrow his eyes. He spoke something back to her, and when she answered he instantly slammed the brakes. The car skidded to a stop as Dillon was thrown against the dashboard.

“Fuck, what was that about?” Dillon asked, rubbing his head.

“We were a few feet away from being blown sky high, gringo.” Cruz answered.

“What?” Dillon asked, but before anyone could answer a squad of soldiers appeared from the brush and a Humvee was tearing up the road towards them. The soldiers started yelling something to each other than at the car. Cruz put his hands in the air and instructed Dillon to follow. Dillon raised his hands up and a soldier approached, throwing the door open and pulling him out to the ground. On his back, Dillon looked up to the rifle stuck in his face. All of his weapons were still in the car. Soldiers went on to pull out Cruz, but stopped when they saw Miguel and Maya. A soldier yelled something to the commander, who seemed to be the one towering over Dillon at the moment. He saw the commanders eyes widen as he looked up to the car. Then he stuck his gun back in Dillon’s face and said something.

“Look man, I don’t understand you. No Hablo.” Dillon said. The commander rolled his eyes.

“Explain yourself. Now.” He demanded.

“They saved our lives. That’s all you need to know.” Miguel said as he climbed out of the backseat, helping Maya out. The commander nodded.

“Miguel, you and Maya get in the Humvee.” The commander ordered.

“What about them?” He asked. The commander turned back to Dillon and lifted him up, looking him square in the eyes.

“Follow the escort, do not deviate. We will kill you.” He said. Dillon nodded and the commander ushered Miguel and Maya away and into the Humvee. Dillon and Cruz got back into the truck and followed the Humvee as it drove off. About a minute later, they came into view of the capital. It was a large city, huge really. Looking at it, you wouldn’t be able to tell the entire world was falling apart. They followed the Humvee through a maze of streets past skyscrapers and large buildings until it abruptly stopped. The door opened and the commander walked up to their car.

“Go in there. They’ll tell you what to do then.” He said pointing to the building they were parked in front of. Miguel and Maya got out of the Humvee so Dillon eventually got out followed by Cruz. The four of them walked to the door and inside the large building. As soon as they entered everyone inside froze and just stared at them. Had Dillon just grown a third eye or something? Miguel kept walking and went up a flight of stairs and through a hallway. The entire place was silent. He approached a large wooden door and threw it open walking in.

“I thought I told you to stay out of here Alice. Were done talking.” An angry voice said, then looked up and saw Dillon. “Who the hell are you?” He asked, and then noticed Miguel. “Miguel? What are you doing here? Where’s Maya?” He asked, standing up from the desk. Maya jostled her way through the crowd and ran to the man. He knelt down and embraced her tightly.

“We were attacked. They captured us and were going to sell us. These men showed up and saved our lives.” Miguel said. Dillon felt it odd that they were speaking in English, but didn’t mind it at all.

“Then it seems like I owe these men a huge favor.” He said approaching Dillon. He stuck out his hand and shook Dillon’s. “You saved my girl, anything I can do for you, anything. Just ask.” He said. Dillon felt a huge relief. “Wait a minute.” He suddenly said, jerking his hand away from Dillon’s.

“You’re the American. The one from Texas?” He asked.

“Yes. I am.” Dillon answered. He turned to everyone else.

“I’m going to have to ask you all to wait outside for a moment.” He said.

“But..” Miguel said.

“Outside. Now.” He demanded. Cruz, Maya and Miguel and slinked out of the room and into the hallway. He closed the door behind them leaving Dillon alone in here with him. He walked to his desk and fiddled with a combination lock until it opened. He pulled out a small white flash drive and held it out to Dillon. Dillon took it and looked at it. It was marked with the numbers 1/10.

“What is this?” Dillon asked.

“Before all this happened, the United States and Mexico worked together to create a weapon so powerful, it could wipe out the entire western seaboard. This is number one of ten, you need all ten to access the weapon. The Network already has at least five of them.” He said.

“So where do I get the rest of them?” Dillon asked.

“No clue. This is the only one in Mexico, the rest are spread across the US.” He said.

“What do I do with them then?” Dillon asked.

“Make sure no one else gets them. You’ll know what to do when the time comes.” He said.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Dillon asked.

“You’ll know.” He answered.

“And that’s it? Nothing else? Just, here’s a flash drive, happy hunting?” Dillon asked.

“You saved my daughter, I am in your debt. If you ever need the help of our soldiers, they will be there.” He said.

“Okay then. I guess I accomplished what I came here for.” Dillon said. “I guess I should get going then.” He said.

“Why? My daughter is back, this is means for celebration! We’ll throw a huge party, you’ll be known as a hero throughout Mexico.” He said.

Choice

[Stay for the party]

[Leave]

**Lucia Martinez**

“So that’s it?” Santiago asked.

“Sure, go on and get out of here. We don’t want you caught in the crossfire.” The soldier said. The Evac helicopter had touched down a few minutes ago dropping off the first few civilians that were evacuated, including Santiago, Alex, and Lucia. Santiago gave the man a nod as he was called over to assist someone else. Santiago looked back at Alex and Lucia, who shrugged.

“Let’s go then.” Alex suggested.

“Yes, let’s just get on our merry way to the place I almost died.” Lucia said glumly. But none the less they began walking in the direction Lucia had pointed out.

“How far do you think it is?” Alex asked.

“Oh, I wish I would’ve paid more attention to the distance while I was trying not to get killed.” Lucia said. Alex frowned at the comment but didn’t say anything. But she rolled her eyes when she caught the glare Santiago was giving her. “Less than an hour.” She said. Behind them smoke was still rising over Brooklyn as they walked away. They could hear the sustained sounds of gunfire and artillery. If it kept going like this there would be no Brooklyn left.

………………………..

“It’s one of these, somewhere around here.” Lucia said as she looked around. All the buildings looked the same.

“Umm… Maybe that one?” Alex said, pointing to a building that was just down the street.

“How stupid can you get? You don’t even know what we’re looking for.” Lucia snapped at her.

“Actually Lucia, that looks like the one we want.” Santiago said. Lucia shot Alex a cold glare as they walked towards the building. Sure enough it was the one they wanted. They walked through the empty halls until they stumbled upon a dead body outside room number 785.

“Shit…” Alex mumbled. Lucia ignored her as she walked up to the door and tried the lock.

“It’s locked.” She said.

“What now?” Santiago asked.

“We go home.” Lucia said.

“Home? Where’s that?” Santiago asked. Lucia glared angrily at Santiago and looked like she was about to say something. Suddenly a gunshot rang out. The door to the room exploded into multiple fragments of splintering wood showering Lucia. She heard a yell of pain and when she looked back, Santiago was laying on the floor clutching his stomach. Blood was everywhere. All over his hands, his shirt. The floor. He continued to cry out in pain as Lucia ran over to him. Her eyes widened as she looked over her brother’s mutilated body. The door to the room flew open and a man stepped out into the hallway holding a shotgun. Lucia seemed to snap a little on the inside as she stood up and grabbed the barrel of the shotgun, forcing it away from her head. The man pulled the trigger sending a blast into the celling and sending a ringing into Lucia’s ears. She quickly looked around for anything that could help her, then she spotted it. The shiny metallic blade hanging from his belt. Though she was nowhere near as strong as the man, she was a lot quicker. She grabbed the hilt of the blade and ripped it from his belt then, with all the strength she could muster, shoved it deep into the man’s abdomen. He let go of the gun and grabbed the blade as he fell to the floor howling in pain. Lucia quickly picked up the shotgun and aimed it at the man. He looked up at her.

“You…” He said as he recognized her. “I thought you were-“He began, but got no further when Lucia shoved the shotgun to his temple and pulled the trigger. The man’s brains went flying across the wall, splattering everything. Lucia felt some get on her but paid no mind. Her hands shook so bad that she couldn’t hold the gun anymore. It fell to the floor with a clatter. She stumbled to her left and grabbed the wall as she doubled over and threw up onto the floor. She’d just killed someone.

“Lucia!” A voice yelled. She looked over and saw Alex hovering over Santiago, attempting to try and save him. “We need to get him inside. Now!” She demanded. Lucia hesitantly rose and rushed over to her. Together they picked up Santiago and carried him inside the apartment. Alex threw everything off of the kitchen counter and they laid him there.

“What do we do?” Lucia asked. Alex went to work ransacking the kitchen for anything. She went to the closet and threw it open, then stopped. Just staring. “What is it?” She asked.

“We got lucky. Really fucking lucky.” She said as she began to pull things out of the closet. Lots of medical supplies. “This guy must have been some sort of paranoid or something.” She said as she went over to Santiago. “Look around and see if you can find anything. Make sure this place is safe.” She ordered. Lucia hated being told what to do, but it was a good idea. She meandered around the all too familiar hallway. She looked in all the trashed rooms but found nothing, so she began going back to the kitchen when she spotted something in the living room. A computer sat in the corner of the room illuminating the area in its mechanical light. She approached it and looked at it. A message was flashing across the screen. She attempted to read it, then realized it was not words. It was coding. A shit ton of it. Against the better judgment she got closer and leaned in, accidently hitting the keyboard. The computer flashed with different screens and error messages then just went black. Like it was never on. She noticed a small flash drive sticking out of the terminal. She looked at it and grabbed it. Whatever it was, her brother just got shot over it. It was worth keeping. She walked back into the kitchen where she found Alex still working on Santiago. Her hands and even her face were stained with blood. She was beginning to look pale and her movement seemed hindered a little.

“Alex.” Lucia said getting her attention. She looked up at Lucia.

“Yeah?” She asked. Lucia noticed she was swaying a little.

“Are you feeling alright?” Lucia asked.

“Yeah I’m fine, we just need to…” She trailed off. She shook her head. “We just need to help Santiago.” She said.

“I know. I’m scared as all hell right now.” Lucia said as she looked away, towards Santiago. “I’m afraid it was my fault. Like it was all me who caused this, I could’ve just said no. Right?” Lucia said. She heard a crash behind her and spun around to see Alex had fallen to the ground. Lucia quickly went over to her and knelt down next to her.

“What happened?” Lucia asked.

“I don’t know. I was just feeling light headed.” Alex said as she attempted to stand up. Lucia held her back.

“You’re lying.” Lucia said as she looked at her. She was covering her right shoulder with her hand. “What are you covering?” Lucia asked.

“Nothing.” Alex answered. Lucia, now fed up, ripped her hand away and looked at her shoulder. It was pulsating with blood. Alex took a breath. “Okay, I got shot when that guy opened fire.” She said.

“Why didn’t you say anything?” Lucia asked.

“I didn’t want you to get freaked out about me. We need to help Santiago.” She said. Her gaze meeting Lucia’s for a split moment. “Look, I can tell you don’t like me. I don’t know why, and I don’t want to know why. But I’m going to ask you a favor, forget about me. Focus on Santiago. Okay?” She said.

“I don’t even know what to do. His guts are all over the hallway out there!” Lucia said.

“Please.” Alex said. Lucia looked down at her. She was bleeding out slowly. Santiago, he looked worse. Hell, he looked like he might already be dead. Wait. Was he dead? Was he even breathing?

Choice

[Try and save Santiago]

[Try and save Alex]
  • edited October 2015
    [Stay for the party]

[Try and save Santiago]

**Dillon** Taking a car seemed like a much better option that riding on horseback from here to the capital. In a car they’d at least be

• [Stay for the party]

I'm calling it now, something bad is going to happen during the party, or after the party while everyone has a hangover. But I'm definitely not going to miss that party :D

[Try and save Santiago]

Well, damn. At first I wanted to pick Santiago for sure, considering that he is Lucia's brother and she barely knows Alex. Then I took their respective wounds into account and was afraid that this could now end up with both dying. However, in Lucia's case, I would always try to do anything possible to save family and I hope that this will at least either save Santiago, or that it won't be too late to save Alex, should Santiago die either way.

**Dillon** Taking a car seemed like a much better option that riding on horseback from here to the capital. In a car they’d at least be

• [Stay for the party]

[Try and save Alex]

I like Santiago, but it looks like he is already dead. At least I dont think Lucia can save him without hospital equipment, while she should be able to save Alex life for sure.

• Jack Hunter

Jack walked down the sidewalk of the street. Not like any cars would be coming any time soon, not a lot of people have cars anymore, or the gas to fuel them for that matter. And the street itself, it looked pretty f’d up. It was all cracked up and uneven, just really unkempt. Well, Virginia Department of Transportation should really get on that. Jack though with a smile as he continued walking. This really would’ve been a lovely evening to take the kids out for a picnic, Had the kids not been dead and you were at constant risk of being shot all the time. That’s what he did best, keep people safe. Maybe his governing may be a little authoritarian, but force was the only way to keep power now. That and not trusting newcomers. Never trust new people. Never. His revolver still dangled at his side as he lit up a cigarette and stuck it in his mouth. ‘Those things will kill you’ the voice still tormented. He laughed at it. He’d been shot at, cut up, hung out to dry, and run over a time or two, and yet, he was alive. A damn cigarette wasn’t going to kill him. As he walked he saw a man in a nice suit walking towards him, he instantly recognized the man. The only person low enough to wear a suit and tie in a crowd of starving people, one of Jack’s most trusted partners. The ever so feared, Zero. The look on his face meant business.

“We need to talk.” Zero said. Damn it, he already caught on.

“I suppose we do.” Jack said, Zero’s look changed to one of confusion. So he didn’t know. You can keep a secret from one of the world’s best secret agents?

“About what exactly?” Zero asked. Well, can’t say nothing and walk away. This guy is liable to knock you out and torture a confession out of you.

“We need to talk about your daughter.” Jack said. Zero’s face filled with rage.

“We talked about this a hundred times, alright.” Zero said.

“Yes, we have.” Jack assured him. “But times change.”

“She’s no danger to anyone.” Zero said.

“Yet she’s a danger to everyone. She’s strained our supplies and gotten two of our nurses sick.” Jack said. “You know what had to happen.”

“Had?” Zero asked, he always seemed to catch everything.

“Had.” Jack confirmed. “We had to put her down. It was painless, I assure you. She felt nothing, and she’s away from all of this now.” Jack said.

“You killed my girl?” Zero raged on.

“Well, it is a dangerous thing you know, to have connections like that in war time.” Jack said.

“So all my daughter was to you is a danger? You didn’t view her as a human being? Just a detriment to the cause?” Zeros asked.

“It’s… It’s complicated. The cause has room for a lot of people, but people who risk our safety are not one of them.” Jack said.

“You know what? Fuck you, and fuck your cause.” Zero said.

“Look, I know your pissed. Take some time off, and then come back.” Jack said. “We can always- Ah shit!” He turned into a yell as the cigarette burnt into his arm. “What the hell man?” He asked Zero. Zero briskly turned and stormed away.

“Okay!” Jack called after him. “I let you get away with that this time, only because you important.” Jack said. It was true, Zero was one of the best. He could probably just take Virginia all on his own. Jack hoped he didn’t just make a powerful enemy.

Lester Williams

“No offence, but I barely know you. There’s no way I’m going from here to Ohio with someone I just met.” Lester said.

“I see.” Ashton said. “Your loss.” He walked off. Nothing more. No, ‘Are you sure?’ Nah, he was obviously above that. Someone approached Lester from the left.

“She’s awake.” He said.

“What?” Lester asked. “How?”

“I don’t know, some people just react differently. She’s a fighter, even though this kinda goes against all my medical know-how.” He admitted.

“Is she…” Lester trailed off, looking for the words. The medic put them in his mouth for him.

“She’s on a lot of drugs right now, she isn’t feeling any pain.” He said. “And as luck would have it, her bodily functions all seem to be fine. Her brain would appear to have no damage.”

“That’s amazing.” Lester said, truly stunned.

“It’s more than amazing, It’s a miracle.” He said.

“God must really have plans for her.” Lester said.

“Someone must.” The medic said. “So, uh, She kinda asked to see you.” He said.

“Me?” Lester asked.

“Yeah, we told her what happened, she asked to see the one who saved her.” He said.

“What about Carlson?” He asked.

“He’s already inside.” The medic said. The cabin was nice, an old wooden one. The floorboards creaked as Lester walked beside the medic. Just looking at this place, you’d never be able to tell the outside Earth was hell. “This is it.” The medic said as he stopped next to a door and pushed it open, it squeaked on its hinges as it opened. Lester walked in. Sure enough, she was awake. Not moving at all, but awake. She lay on her back on a couch staring at the ceiling, not even attempting to move her head to look around. Either she couldn’t move or the drugs were keeping her down. She was talking with Carlson, who was already in the room. Her voice was drastically slurred and slowed. It was easy to tell, she didn’t fully comprehend what was happening. Lester walked closer, Carlson looked up and saw him.

“Katie, this is Lester Williams, he’s the man that helped get you out.” Carlson said.

“Hi… Lester.” Katie said.

“Hi, Katie.” Lester said.

“It doesn’t really hurt as bad as I thought it would.” She said.

“You’re on a lot of medication.” Lester said.

“You think I don’t know that?” She joked. Good, at least she still had some sort of spirit in her.

“I was afraid you left us before we even got you.” Lester said.

“It’s hard to kill me.” She said.

“That I would agree with.” Lester said.

“I… Just want to thank you.” She said. “When I was laying at the bottom of that cliff, in and out of consciousness, I just kept thinking I was going to die out there, before I did anything that really mattered.” She said.

“You don’t need to thank me Katie, the Network kills people, we save them. It’s what we do.” Lester said.

“It’s what set us apart.” Katie said. “They kill people, we kill people, but somehow, we’re better people in all of this.” She said. Lester looked to the ground, he had no idea how to respond to that. I don’t know, oh, hello floor. How ya doing? Lester heard something outside. Lots of yelling, he looked out the window and saw people running. “What’s going on?” Katie asked.

“Carlson, stay here. I’m going to go figure this out.” Lester said as he headed out the door and back outside. He then saw what was happening. A man in a suit was being lead at gunpoint to the cabin. Lester instantly recognized him. Zero.

“Lester.” Someone said. “We need your help. This guy is saying he’s a Network Special Agent, do you know him?” He asked.

“Yeah, his name is Zero.” Lester said.

“Zero?” He asked. “God damn, we just caught a legend!” He yelled.

“Lester.” Zero said, as he walked by. “I will only talk to Lester.” He said. Lester looked shocked over at everyone, who looked just as shocked back at him.

“Talk to him.” One man said.

“He’ll kill me.” Lester said.

“Nah, He’ll be chained down.” They said. “Please, just do this.” They said.

The room was dark, lit only by the light that seeped through the thick curtain. Zero sat chained to the desk. Make-shift interrogation room.

“Lester, nice to see you again.” Zero said.

“What are you doing here you bastard?” Lester asked. Zero paused.

“You know I knew Katie was alive inside that coffin, right?” He asked.

“What the hell.” Lester accidently said out loud.

“I let you through.” He said.

“So now you think you’re a good guy?” Lester asked.

“No.” Zero answered. “I will tell you everything I know, but first I need to know something.”

“What is it?” Lester asked, more like demanded.

“Do you think you can trust what I say?” He asked.

Choice

[Yes]

[No]

• Oh yes, Katie is awake :D Though, considering how utterly stunned the medic is at how good her condition is, perhaps there is more behind it. It's probably a bit far fetched, but considering that the dreams have a supernatural vibe to them, perhaps the person behind the dreams still has plans with her and acted as some sort of guardian angel for her. Someone who can send sort of prophetic dreams to other people could be able to do this. At least that would be my theory right now. Of course, perhaps she just got extremely lucky. Whatever the cause for her quick recovery is, it's great to see her awake and in good condition.

As for Jack's part, killing children seems to be his favourite hobby now. He once again proved why exactly I hate him so much. But it is great that he made a huge mistake in this part, by pissing of a truly dangerous guy. I think it's safe to say that Zero is his enemy now. My only problem after this part is that I am not sure anymore who would deserve vengeance on him more. He killed Katie's sister in cold blood and can be hold responsible for the death of her other sister as well in some way, but he also killed Zero's daughter, which is quite an interesting connection between these two, now that I think about it. In the end, I think Katie would deserve her vengeance more than Zero, but I guess there are ways both of them can get it. Anyways, it's great to see that Jack made another dangerous enemy.

[Yes]

We know that Zero is definitely not an ally of Jack anymore. The one thing that always appeared as a genuinely redeeming feature in Zero for me was the love for his daughter, so I think her death really crushed and angered him. While I am not sure if he is willing to betray the Network in general, it is quite likely now, considering what he said to Jack. At the very least, I doubt he has any loyalty left to Jack, so in this situation I am fully willing to trust him. Aside from that, he brought up a good point. He knew Katie was alive and he still let her leave, so that should prove to Lester that Zero has an agenda that goes against the Network goals.

Jack Hunter Jack walked down the sidewalk of the street. Not like any cars would be coming any time soon, not a lot of people have cars a

• [Yes]

Jack Hunter Jack walked down the sidewalk of the street. Not like any cars would be coming any time soon, not a lot of people have cars a

• [Yes]

From Lesters perspective I am not sure if he can trust him even if we as readers know that he has good reasons to tell the truth. Lester does not know about Zeros reasons yet but he is someone who is willing to give second chances to his enemies and because of this I think this is the option he would pick. Man, I just had to think about second chances. If Zero really abandoned the Network, how would people like Katie and other resistance members react to him after what he did to them. This will be interesting to see how they interact with him.

• Lucia Martinez

Lucia looked at Alex, who refused to meet her eyes. She knew it was a lose-lose situation, with any luck at all only one person would die here, and that was the positive side. If anything went wrong, one wrong choice, all three of them could possibly die. Alex’s grip on Lucia’s shoulder loosened as she pulled away and stood up, facing Santiago.

“Thank you.” Alex whispered. “I’ll watched the door, if anyone comes in they’ll have to get through me first.” She said.

“You’re unarmed and incapacitated. I feel so safe.” Lucia said.

“False.” Alex said as she reached into her jacket and pulled out a pistol. “I got you covered, now go.” She said. Lucia nodded and briskly approached her brother.

“Oh God…” Lucia muttered as she looked at the bloody pulp that used to be a human but was now barely recognizable as a living organism by his own kin. “Wh-What do I do first?” She asked, trying to ignore the nauseating feeling all this blood was giving her.

“Try and find the source of the bleeding, where it’s all coming from.” Alex said.

“That would be everywhere.” Lucia said. Lucia could tell Alex was rolling her eyes without even looking at her.

“Find the worst of it, try and always keep pressure on the wound.” She said.

“You want me to…?” Lucia began.

“You’re going to get your hands a little dirty.” Alex said. Lucia looked over her brothers torn up rhino T-shirt, taking a deep breath.

“I can’t. I just can’t do it.” Lucia said.

“You can, and you will. Otherwise, he’ll die and that blood will be on… be on your hands.” Alex snapped back almost instantly.

“His blood is going to be on my hands anyways!” Lucia said in protest.

“Lucia… You have the chance to save someone’s life right now.” Alex said. “Are you… Just going to throw all that away and give up… Because you think you can’t?” She asked.

“But Alex…” Lucia said.

“None of that bullshit Lucia… You have to do this… This is not about you anymore. This is about all of us.” She said. “If you let this go, and don’t try to stop it… Isn’t, Isn’t that what they want? Isn’t that just… Giving into the Network, Throwing our hands up in surrender? That’s true weakness… It’s what we can’t afford.” She said, Lucia froze letting the words sink in. “But you’re no coward Lucia, I’ve seen you do things nobody your age thought possible… You are a fighter, a warrior, someone with the strength to go on living… Against all odds. You’re a loving sister who wants to save her brother. Lucia, this isn’t going to be easy for you, for me, for…. For him, F-for anyone. B-but you need to… Need to fight, not for me, not for him… But, for you.” She said.

“Why did this have to happen to us? Just- Just why?” Lucia asked as tears began forming and rolling down her cheeks.

“Lucia, now’s not the time for tears. Now’s the time for action… And reaction.” Alex said. “Your brother was shot, that’s the action… N-now what’s your reaction?” Alex asked.

“To fight.” Lucia whispered.

“Good…” Alex said as her voice trailed, Lucia heard something clattering to the ground and looked over. Alex’s head was lolled back against the wall and she’d dropped the pistol which had landed just next to her limp hand.

“Alex?” Lucia asked. “Alex, don’t do this to me. Don’t do this!” Lucia said. To her surprise Alex actually lifted her head, brushed some hair out of her eyes, picked up the pistol and looked back towards the door.

“What did I tell you?” She asked. “Don’t fucking worry about me.” She said. Lucia turned back to her brother, picked up a wad of gauze and, with a deep breath, pressed it against his stomach.

“What do I do now?” Lucia asked.

“Okay, first you need to…”

……………………………………………

“Now what?” Lucia asked.

“Now we wait, you’ve done all you could.” Alex said.

“Are you sure?” Lucia asked, turning towards Alex. Alex smiled, a weak timid smile. It was the first one Lucia had seen from her.

“I’m sure, you did great. It looks like you just slaughtered a cow though.” Alex said, then corrected herself after looking at Santiago. “Sorry, bad metaphor.”

“You think?” Lucia asked.

“Yeah, but seriously, you might want to consider cleaning up a little. I think that shirt you’re wearing used to be white?” She asked. Lucia looked down at her shirt, soaked in blood. Her hand, soaked in blood, her face plastered with it. She looked like something out of a horror film.

“Yeah, I think I might clean up a little.” Lucia agreed.

“You think?” Alex asked.

“Yeah.” Lucia said, looking to Santiago.

“Don’t worry, I’ll watch him.” Alex said.

“Thank you.” Lucia said.

“You don’t need to thank me, seriously. It’s not like I can go anywhere.” Alex said.

“How are you feeling anyways?” Lucia asked.

“The pain’s been replaced with numbness. I don’t know if I like it or not, at least with the pain I knew I was still alive. Now it just feels like I’m waiting to die.” Alex said.

“Here, let me look at it, maybe I can stitch it or something.” Lucia said,

“Yeah, sure.” Alex said, then froze. Lucia froze to, she heard it too. Multiple car doors opening and closing, across the street. “Lucia, there’s a scoped rifle in the closet. Grab it and see if you can tell if they’re friendly or not.” Alex said.

“But what about your arm?” Lucia asked.

“I’ve made it this far, I can make it a little longer.” She said. Lucia nodded and rushed to the closet, where she indeed found a rifle with a scope on it. More of a hunting rifle than what some would describe as a sniper rifle. She yanked the bolt back and jacked a round in, she was pleased to find it was fully loaded, no maintenance necessary. She rushed to the window and edged the barrel through and peered through the scope. “How many are there?” Alex asked.

“Four in uniform.” Lucia said.

“We have the element of surprise, if we get off the first shot we can take them.” Alex said from the kitchen.

“You sure?” Lucia asked.

“I have to be.” Alex said. Lucia looked through the scope and steadied her breath. “I fight.” She whispered as she pulled the trigger. Like a well-oiled machine she jacked in a new round and found her next target. Another pull of the trigger and they were down to only two. She whipped the gun around to find the next target only to see the retreating notion of a boot as they slipped into the doorway below. She fired a shot anyways, and it nipped at the ground.

“They’re coming up.” Lucia said.

“Stay over there, if I can’t get them take them. They only think there’s one of us.” Alex said.

“Okay, get ready.” Lucia said as she heard heavy footsteps outside the door.

“Here they come.” Alex said. Half a second the door busted open. There were no gunshots, no yelling or dying. Just a simple.

“Clear!” One man yelled. “We got a dead one over here.”

“How fresh?” Another asked.

“Maybe about an hour old.” He answered. An hour? What the hell are these guys talking about?

“What about the other one?” The other man asked.

“Alive, barely.” He answered.

“You think the sniper did this to them?”

“No, this is a shotgun wound. I think the sniper was trying to help them, and thought we were the enemy.”

“Well they just about killed two of our people.”

“But they didn’t, they only winged them. They’re still alive, and that’s the important part.”

“Okay, but where is this sniper?”

“I have no clue.” The first one said. “United States Marines! Show yourself, we mean no harm!” He boomed. Lucia didn’t move, they hadn’t seen her yet.

“You think that was going to work?”

“No, but it was worth a shot. At least now they know we’re friendly.”

“Or they know we’re the enemy.”

“Keep your guard up.” He said as they walked deeper into the house, looking around the kitchen.

“Clear.” One said. One pivoted and froze, his eyes locking onto Lucia. His gun raised and was aimed right at her head.

“Drop the gun!” He yelled. Lucia looked down at the gun in her hands, she didn’t want to drop it, she didn’t know these people. But she didn’t make a move either. She sat there, unwilling to even budge and inch. The other solider joined him and looked at Lucia.

“She’s no killer.” He said. “She’s just scared.” He said, then took his rifle in one hand and laid it on the table at Santiago’s feet. He slowly walked towards her, hands above his head. She recognized the uniform, United States, the grand old flag, stars ‘n stripes. S.S Langston is what his nametag read. He moved forward, one slow, cautious step at a time towards Lucia until he could tell there was obvious discomfort. He, with his hands still raised, palms out, knelled on the ground. “Please, drop the gun. We’re the good guys, the fight’s over. I’m Second Sargent Jeremy Langston and this is Private Gord, he’s a medic.” He said, Gord tapped the badge on his arm. “The rest of my platoon is waiting outside, since you did a damn good job of banging them up. I noticed that you’ve run into some trouble?” He asked, looking over to Santiago. “What happened?”

“We came here, looking for shelter.” She lied. “There was a man in here, who just shot at us.”

“And the girl in the hallway, she blead to death?” He asked.

“She’s not dead, I was just talking to her.” Lucia said.

“I’m sorry, That’s not possible. She died over an hour ago.” Langston said.

“But, she was just telling me what to do to help Santiago like, ten minutes ago.” Lucia said, Langston looked back at Gord.

“Are you sure she died an hour ago?” He asked.

“More than sure, sir.” He said. “I think she’s in shock.” He said, shaking his head. “It happens all the time, The best thing we can do right now is get her out of here before something happens.” He said.

“Alright.” Langston said. He extended a hand to Lucia slowly. “What’s your name?” He asked kindly.

“Lucia.” She answered.

“Lucia, please come with us. This area is not safe. We can better protect you back at the base.” He said.

“How do I know this isn’t some kind of trick, and you aren’t just going to kill me as soon as I turn my back?” She asked.

“Don’t freak out, I’m going to grab my pistol.” He said, still keeping one arm up as he lowered his other and slowly brought it back up, gun in hand. Lucia pointed her gun tentatively at him. But instead of holding it by the grip, he was holding it by the barrel. Lucia still kept her gun on him. “If you don’t trust us, take this pistol. It’s yours if you want it. It’s a promise from me to you that we are not the bad guys.”

“Viper squad, what’s your ETA to base?” A radio cracked.

“About fifteen, over.”

“Copy that Viper squad.” The radio said. Lucia looked at Langston.

“We have to go.” He said.

Choice

[Take the gun and go with them]

[Go with them, don’t take the gun]

[Stay here]

Adam Johnson

Adam looked over at Thomas, who was going on about something or another.

“Hey, we got that med bay open. I’m sure we can spare some meds for you guys.” Adam said.

“You sure about that?” Ann and Thomas said, almost at the same time.

“Ann, take Thomas down there. Give him what he needs. I’ll stay here with Sasha.” Adam said.

“Oh, thank you so much.” Thomas said.

“It’s what separates us from them.” He said, then looked at Ann. “You radio me if anything happens, understood?” He asked.

“Got it boss.” She said.

“Damn mercs.” He said.

“Damn Fed’s.” She said, as she walked out of the room, Thomas in tow.

“I never thought I’d see the day mercenaries and Federals worked together.” Sasha said.

“She’s not exactly a mercenary anymore.” Adam said. “There’s been a little backlash at Stryker corp.” Adam said.

“Heh.” Sasha laughed. “Slow news week.”

“Tell me about it.” Adam said.

“So, you’re from Russia?” The young Ann, who was quiet until now spoke up.

“Yes, Like I said, I came here to cover a news story.” Sasha answered.

“What’s happening over there now?” Ann asked, story-eyed.

“No clue, we fell out of contact a long time ago. All I heard about was some rebellion, and the SS claiming neutrality.” Sasha said. “Even the most blood-thirsty country out there doesn’t want to clean up this mess.” She said.

“Neutrality, the ultimate way of saying you don’t really care.” Adam said.

“This is true.” Sasha said.

“So, how are you liking your extended stay in the beautiful United States?” Adam asked.

“Well, if I wasn’t dying from an infection and the place wasn’t a giant warzone, I think I may like it. But I kind of miss home.” She said.

“Home is where your heart is.” Ann said, mostly speaking just to be heard. Sasha laughed at the comment.

“Such a shame.” She said.

“Why’s that?” Ann asked.

“My heart has been ripped out and left in Russia apparently.” Sasha said.

“You have someone waiting for you at home?” Adam asked.

“My two kids, not even five years old yet. I left them to come here, I just hope they’ll still be there when I get back.” She said. “If I get back.” Adam looked down at his watch.

“Shit.” He said.

“What is it?” Sasha asked.

“They should’ve been back by now.” He said as he grabbed the radio off his belt and pressed down on it. “Where the hell are you guys?” He asked. Silence. “Ann, Thomas, do you copy?” He asked. Silence. He slammed the radio onto the desk and grabbed his gun. “I’m going to look for them. Sasha, can you watch her for me?” Adam asked.

“Yes.” Sasha said.

“Corporal Johnson, do you copy?” A voice asked through the radio. Adam quickly snatched it back up.

“Copy. What the hell is going on?” He asked.

“She’s crashing sir. Vitals are dropping off the charts.” The voice said.

“What do you mean crashing?” He asked. There was a long silence. “Would someone tell me what the hell is going on down there?” He demanded, loud enough to scare Ann.

“You might want to get down here as soon as possible.” The voice said.

“Why, just tell me.” Adam said.

“She’s… She’s dying sir. Mother fucker…” The voice trailed.

“What happened? Someone tell me.” Adam asked, when there was no immediate response Adam was filled with rage. “Tell me now God damnit!” He yelled.

“She’s dead sir.”

• “She’s dead sir.”

Wait... is he talking about Ann? Did Ann just die? God damn it, what happened in the med bay...

[Take the gun and go with them]

I am willing to believe that they are indeed not the bad guys. Especially Langston went out of his way to make sure that his people realize that Lucia is not their enemy. If they would be the enemy, I believe they would just kill her, or force her to accompany them. That they give her a choice and even a gun makes me doubt that they are the bad guys here. Also this thing with Alex was just extremely well written. Now I am not sure if it was something supernatural, like the dreams, or if it has an entirely mundane explanation, namely Lucia hallucinating due to the stress she was in.

Lucia Martinez Lucia looked at Alex, who refused to meet her eyes. She knew it was a lose-lose situation, with any luck at all only one p

• [Take the gun and go with them]

Lucia Martinez Lucia looked at Alex, who refused to meet her eyes. She knew it was a lose-lose situation, with any luck at all only one p

• [Take the gun and go with them]

• Adam Johnson

He said nothing. He just ran. He didn’t wait for any response, he had to be there to see it for himself. Someone just died. He had to find out who.

It seemed as if Ann and Sasha were following him, though he never looked back to see. He could just hear the faint sound of shoes hitting the ground. Adam himself barely remembered the way back, he was just running blindly. Maybe he’d get somewhere, maybe he’d run into a fucking wall.

The prison was more like a labyrinth than a prison. A maze, the catacombs. Who was put in charge of designing this thing? If Adam found out, he’d personally hunt that guy down and hang him from a flagpole.

Stairwell up ahead. That looks familiar. He flew down the stairs and ran down the hallway. There it is, straight ahead. Adam slid to a stop on the tile floor, just in time to see them lowering a white linen sheet over Riley.

“She’s gone sir. We did everything we could, but she was too far gone.” The doctor said. Adam nodded slowly.

“And her?” He said, nodding towards Cameron.

“Stable, she’s going to make it.” He said. Adam breathed a sigh of relief, then noticed something odd.

“Where’s Ann and Thomas?” He asked.

“Who’s Thomas?” The doctor asked.

“You mean they weren’t here?” Adam asked.

“No, no one came here at all.” He said.

“Oh shit.” Adam said. “Ann, Sasha, stay here. I’m going to look for them.” He said as he started out the door. Sasha grabbed his arm.

“I’m not letting you go alone, it’s too risky.” She said.

“And you’re wounded.” Adam said.

“It’s been that way for weeks, a couple more minutes isn’t going to matter. Thomas is out there, as well as your person. We need to find them.” She said.

“Heaven’s sake.” Adam mumbled. “Fine, but keep your head down. We don’t know what’s all in this prison.” He said.

“What? You think there’s going to be ghosts?” She joked.

“No. I’m afraid that there’s going to be the living.” He said. “Any idea where we could start looking?”

“Only one.” She answered.

“Lead the way.” He said. She began walking down the hallway with Adam trailing directly behind her, keeping an eye out at all times for anything out of the ordinary. This prison gave him the creeps.

“They told me I would love it here in America.” Sasha said. “They told me it was a beautiful place, with nice people.”

“I guess they overlooked the fact that the entire nation is at war with itself.” Adam said.

“The whole world is.” Sasha said.

“What do you mean?” Adam asked.

“I mean that, the US isn’t the only nation at war.” She said.

“How many others are there?” Adam asked, now unnerved by the fact that their enemy was apparently big enough to be fighting a multi-front war.

That, and the fact that for some reason power was out in this part of the prison. No, not that being in a prison was creepy enough in the first place. No, now he was stumbling around in the dark looking for two people who just disappeared. Yup, this is perfectly sane. Nothing odd there.

“Take your pick.” She answered him. “Almost the entire globe is involved somehow.” She said.

“If everyone’s fighting them, then why the hell can’t we kill them?” Adam asked.

“Not a clue.” Sasha said, as she turned the corner into another hallway. She stepped in front on Adam and began talking. “Maybe it has som-“ She began speaking but was cut off after an arrow sprouted from her throat. She fell to the ground gripping her neck and choking on her own blood.

“Sasha!” Adam yelled as he reached out to her.

“Not another step!” A deep voice called from down the hallway. Adam tightened his grip on his gun as he scanned the dark hallway, he could see nothing. But they could apparently see him. His eyes wandered down to Sasha who’d quit moving already, arrow still in throat. Her eyes were wide open and staring directly at him. Judging him, blaming him.

“Who the hell are you?” Adam asked.

“Someone you don’t want to fuck with.” He answered. “There’s more of us than there are you, so fuck off.”

“Not until I get my people back.” Adam said.

“Well, you aren’t in a great position to be making demands. Especially since I have two guns and an arrow on your head right now.” He said. “But, I am open for a truce.” He said.

“What kind of truce?” Adam asked.

“Put the gun down, and we’ll talk.” He said.

“How can you see me?” Adam asked. “You got thermal or something?”

“Well aren’t you smart.” He said. “How about this, you put the gun down, you don’t die.”

So whoever the hell these people are, they have thermal. Meaning, even in the dark they can see him without him seeing them. His eyes wandered over to the wall, where he saw a light switch. Too bad power had been cut. No, wait. Power wasn’t cut it was off. Meaning, if he could just turn on that light switch he’d be able to turn on all the lights. Unless he was right the first time and power was actually cut. But, if the lights come on and those people are looking…. The lights would blind them, that would give him enough time to slip back down the hallway. Hopefully.

“Come on, we don’t have all day. Gun on the ground. Let’s go.” He said.

Choice

[Surrender]

[Hit the lights]

Dillon

They had spared no expense on the party.

There was a metric shit ton of people, and yes, that is a unit of measurement. Dillon had created it in his head when he saw all the people. Metric system: That one thing Dillon never quite understood but loved to joke about.

Good thing he never wanted to be an engineer or anything.

Math sucks.

“Dillon, my friend, come join us.” Dillon snapped his head to his left and saw the president sitting at a table with Maya, Miguel, Cruz, and many other he didn’t know. Dillon walked over and took the seat next to Maya. “Why were you standing over there alone, you looked lost.”

“Sorry, I, uh, I’m not used to large crowds.” Dillon said. “I kinda stick to myself.”

“Ah, I see.” The president said. “So, how was it that you ended up with the resistance in the first place?” He asked. Meanwhile a butler was handing out glasses of champagne to everyone.

“You want the whole story? It’s kind of long.” Dillon said, then looked around the table at everyone. “And I don’t speak any Spanish.” He said.

“Like a true American.” One man laughed. “Don’t worry, we all speak English quite well here.”

“All of you?” Dillon asked, eyeing Maya.

“Yes.” She answered quickly. So she heard everything he said, knew what it meant but refused to speak to him directly? Okay then. That’s how it’s going to be.

“So, go on.” The president said.

“Well, I guess I can start from the beginning then.” Dillon said. “I lived in Austin, Texas. When the Network came, they cut power to the state temporarily. For some damn reason or another the entire state went into panic mode, I was caught outside in a crowd of rioters when they ripped through.” Dillon said.

“Rioters?” The president asked.

“Oh yeah, a shit ton.” Dillon said. “They ripped through the place faster than a tornado, and left nothing. I woke up almost a week later in Dallas, some doctor found me in a ditch and decided to help me out. How I got from Austin to Dallas is still a mystery though.”

“So you get the shit beat out of you by a mob and wake up a week later in another town?” One man asked.

“You don’t have to be so insensitive.” Maya said. “That sounds very… Traumatic, Dillon.”

“It only gets worse form there.” He said. “The doctor that found me, agreed to bring me back to Austin. So we did, found my house. Both of my parents were dead, a man was going through their stuff. The doctor said it was the Network. At that time, I had no idea who that was.” He said. “As for how I ended up actually with the resistance, Your guess is as good as mine. These days, my memory is about as clear as mud.” He said. “And that’s it. Ever since, I’ve been working with the resistance in Texas. We kick the Networks ass any way we can, even though we don’t have a lot of people.” He said.

“Jesus.” Maya muttered.

“So that’s it, the story of Dillon. Hero of Mexico.” The president said.

“Yes sir, that’s it.” Dillon said.

“Well, in that case I’d like to propose a toast.” He said, lifting his glass. “To our new allies, and friends; the Texans. And here’s to Dillon, the hero of Mexico.” He said.

“Here.” The table responded in unison. Dillon lifted his glass to his lips, but stopped just shy. He quickly slammed the glass down on the table and slapped the cup out of Maya’s hands.

“What was that for?” She asked.

“Don’t drink that!” He yelled. Too late, the others had already drank their glasses.

“What? What’s wrong?” The president asked.

“Are you scared of a little alcohol?” Cruz joked.

“No, I’m scared of what’s in it.” Dillon said.

“Jesus Christ.” Maya said.

“What do you mean?” A man asked.

“You just drank an entire glass of poison.” Maya said.

Lester Williams

Lester eyed Zero. That bastard.

For so long Lester had wanted nothing more than to kill this man, only because he was a Network Agent, and now here he sat asking for his trust.

“As much as I want to kill myself for saying it, I think I can trust you.” Lester said. Zero smiled. That annoying, defeated smile someone gives when they know they’ve gotten themselves into something they can’t get out of.

“What I’m going to tell you, you won’t want to believe. You’re going to think I’m lying, but I’ not. And you’ll eventually realize it, but it doesn’t matter when, it just matters how.” Zero said.

“Okay, so get on with it.” Lester said.

“You don’t have to rush me.” Zero said.

“I don’t have time for games.” Lester said.

“Neither do I.” Zero said.

“So talk.” Lester said.

“This war. The Network, the Fed’s.” Zero began. “Everything you know about it is a lie.” He said.

“What do you mean?” Lester asked.

“The Network is the government.” He said. “Your beloved government is working with us, if not for us. They are spearheading our charge.”

“Bullshit.” Lester said.

“I told you that you wouldn’t believe.” Zero said.

“Why would the government help you bastards?” Lester asked.

“Because they didn’t want everyone to die.” Zero said. “Your government lost the war to us the first time around. We agreed to play dead for a little while, so your government could set us up for the takeover. Then, when they gave us the go-ahead, they simply stepped out of the way and let us roll through.” He said.

“So, from what you’re saying, the Federal Army is on your side.” Lester said.

“No, the Federal Army is on the country’s side. They fight for the people, not the government. To them, the government died a long time ago, they have no orders, they are just fighting to stay alive now.” Zero said.

“So this isn’t a war, this is…” Lester trailed.

“Extermination.” Zero finished his sentence.

• [Hit the lights]

Adam Johnson He said nothing. He just ran. He didn’t wait for any response, he had to be there to see it for himself. Someone just died.

• Heaven's sake, Sagig. You read this, like, freakishly fast.

supersagig posted: »

[Hit the lights]

• edited November 2015

“Maybe it has som-“ She began speaking but was cut off after an arrow sprouted from her throat. She fell to the ground gripping her neck and choking on her own blood.

Oh shit...

“You just drank an entire glass of poison.” Maya said.

Oh shit!

“The Network is the government.” He said. “Your beloved government is working with us, if not for us. They are spearheading our charge.”

OH SHIT!

Three completely different PoV's, each of them with their own huge WTF-moment and somehow, each new twist was more shocking than the one before. Especially the final one was brutal. Now, I am not so sure anymore if we can trust Zero, because that is really a big twist. So far, my experience with Zero has been very difficult. The way he manipulated Denver into nearly killing Katie and later manipulated the Resistance into killing Denver clearly proves that he is a master manipulator and I wouldn't put it past him that this is all part of a larger plan, either for his own goals or for the Network's goals. In his favour speaks that he just had a chance to start a war between the Resistance and the Army, but he hasn't used it. Against him speaks his general untrustworthiness from before. But if he said the truth... holy shit, what a twist. That said, the other twists weren't much less brutal either. First of all, poor Sasha. I liked her a lot, considering that we barely knew her and I definitely thought she would stick around for a while. And that poison stuff... So, the president just drank a glass of poison too? Damn, that is not good. Anyway:

[Surrender]

Sure, if he makes it to the lights, they would be blinded until they put their thermal stuff off. If he makes it at all, that's it. I am willing to bet that they can shoot him faster than he can reach the lights. There's also the thing that even blinded men can still shoot. Not with much accuracy, but if they spray into the room, they don't need much luck to hit him. And what if he hits the lights and somehow makes it out of the room? There is still an unknown number of opponents againt him on a prison island. There is little he could run to.

Adam Johnson He said nothing. He just ran. He didn’t wait for any response, he had to be there to see it for himself. Someone just died.

• Three completely different PoV's, each of them with their own huge WTF-moment and somehow, each new twist was more shocking than the one before.

Hahaha, thank you!

Now, I am not so sure anymore if we can trust Zero, because that is really a big twist. So far, my experience with Zero has been very difficult. The way he manipulated Denver into nearly killing Katie and later manipulated the Resistance into killing Denver clearly proves that he is a master manipulator and I wouldn't put it past him that this is all part of a larger plan, either for his own goals or for the Network's goals. In his favour speaks that he just had a chance to start a war between the Resistance and the Army, but he hasn't used it. Against him speaks his general untrustworthiness from before. But if he said the truth... holy shit, what a twist. That said, the other twists weren't much less brutal either.

I can't say much, except, stay tuned!

First of all, poor Sasha. I liked her a lot, considering that we barely knew her and I definitely thought she would stick around for a while.

Honestly, until I wrote this part I thought I'd keep her around for longer than this to.

And that poison stuff... So, the president just drank a glass of poison too? Damn, that is not good.

Everyone except Maya and Dillon just downed a delicious glass of poison, possibly.

Sure, if he makes it to the lights, they would be blinded until they put their thermal stuff off. If he makes it at all, that's it. I am willing to bet that they can shoot him faster than he can reach the lights. There's also the thing that even blinded men can still shoot. Not with much accuracy, but if they spray into the room, they don't need much luck to hit him. And what if he hits the lights and somehow makes it out of the room? There is still an unknown number of opponents againt him on a prison island. There is little he could run to.

Interesting and well thought through.

“Maybe it has som-“ She began speaking but was cut off after an arrow sprouted from her throat. She fell to the ground gripping her neck and

• Yep. XD

Heaven's sake, Sagig. You read this, like, freakishly fast.

• [Surrender]

I think he has no chance to defeat these people and they also have hostages. They could have killed him together with Sasha but since they didnt, that means they probably want something from him.

• Samu Kuusi

“God damn it kid, we don’t have time for this.” Samu said. “Stop bitching and start running.” He said. She looked at him in genuine disgust.

“But…” She stammered. Samu looked sternly at her, keeping his voice calm and collected.

“Shut up, start running.” He ordered. “We’re doing it my way.”

“I already told you, this is plan B!” She said.

“We then we’re going on to plan C.” Samu snapped back. Then he narrowed his eyes at her. “What is it with you?” he asked. “do you want to die or something?” He asked.

“For what I’ve done, I deserve a lot more than death.” She said.

“Fuck that.” Samu said. “You die here, you die here. End of story, and you get to be remembered as being the fuck-up. You come with me, you live, you get the chance to change that and deal with the ramifications. Nobody’s beyond saving, and I’ve seen my share of hateable people.” Samu said as his eyes drifted downwards to the dead body on the floor.

“I can’t believe you.” She said. “I’m the entire reason you’re here, and you want to help me?” She questioned.

“We can talk about my morals later. Right now, we need to get the fuck out of here.” Samu said. She slowly nodded.

“Okay, I’m going to trust you.” She said. “But don’t make me regret it.” She said as she handed the pistol to Samu, who took it in his hands. “What do we do now?”

“Now we try not to fuck up.” Samu answered as he crept towards the door, he knew on the other side was an entire building full of Network soldiers.

Samu slowly opened the door, taking into account the other side may be guarded. And of course it was, thankfully it was only one guard. He couldn’t shoot him, the gunshot would echo through the building and Soldiers would be up his ass in seconds.

No. He had another plan. He was good that way, always making plans. Hopefully this one worked. While the guard was still unaware of his presence, Samu lunged forward and grabbed the man around the neck, squeezing tightly.

“What’s the quickest way out?” Samu asked. The man, shocked and choking, spit out the answer quickly.

“Down the hall, you’ll see the sign.” He gasped.

“Greatly appreciated.” Samu said. One sudden jerk, and the man was on the ground, his neck snapped. He was no longer a problem.

“So I’m guessing he was beyond redemption?” The girl asked.

“Fuck you.” Samu answered as picked up the guards gun, handing the pistol back to the girl. Without a word he began walking down the hallway, guard up. He was expecting anything. No matter how clear the hallway seemed. Trouble always lurked in the most serene of places. He slightly smiled when he saw the exit sign. But that smile quickly disappeared as he rounded the corner and saw a room full of Network soldiers. He quickly ducked back around the corner and motioned for the girl to stop.

“Network, lots of them.” Samu whispered.

“Can we take them?” She asked.

“Umm….”

Choice

[Yes]

[No, there’s another way]

Adam Johnson

“Okay, okay.” Adam said. “You got me. I’m not going anywhere.”

“Put the gun down and we’ll talk.” The voice echoed. Adam slowly placed his rifle on the ground, then stood back up. “Hands above your head.”

“I know the procedure.” Adam said, lifting his hands. He heard the sounds of people shuffling towards him, moments later his left hand was restrained and tied to his right hand behind his back.

“Take him to cell 3. I’ll be in in a minute.” The one who must be the leader said.

“Yes sir.” Another answered and Adam was being pushed off down the hallway, away from his fallen comrade he barely knew. He looked back and saw the leader crouched next to Sasha, pulling the arrow out of her neck before he was engulfed by the dark. He was lead through a maze of dark hallways until he was forced to stop, he heard a metal door creak open and he was pushed into a dark room then the door shut behind him. Moments later the lights to the room flickered on barraging his eyes.

He frantically looked around for any way of escape, but he couldn’t find one. What was he going to do with his hands tied behind his back anyways? His searched were postponed when the metal door opened, and a tall man walked in. He wore all black attire with a bulky black piece of body armor on his chest. On the sleeve of his black shirt was a flag Adam knew all too well.

“Russian piece of shit…” He mumbled.

“So, let’s get to business. Get up off the floor and take a seat.” He said. “I am Ivan Resnov, I’m with the Soviets.” He said.

“I can tell that. Bastard.” Adam said. Ivan suddenly leaned in closely and glared at him, Adam glared back.

“Let’s just make this clear, that arrow was meant for you.” He said. “Sasha just stepped in the crosshairs.”

“Good to know.” Adam said. “Now go fuck yourselves.”

“I frankly don’t want to be here anymore than you, my friend.” Ivan said.

“Bullshit, the Soviets have been trying to lay claim to American lands ever since Korzhev seized control.” Adam said.

“That’s where the problem is.” Ivan said. “Korzhev is dead.” He said. “He was killed during a revolt, beheaded in his own office. Our new leader, Akilina Denisovitch, she sent us over here to make contact with the Americans.”

“Looks like you found you one.” Adam spat.

“Looks as I have, my friend.” Ivan said.

“I’m not your ‘friend’.” Adam snapped. “Now I suppose you should cut to the point before one of us kills each other.”

“Straight to the point, I like that my friend.” Ivan said.

“Just tell me what you want.” Adam said.

“We don’t want anything.” Ivan said. “We’re here to help.”

“You have a funny way of showing it. You know, kidnapping my people, killing your own. Some ally you are.” Adam said.

“Like I said, that arrow was meant for you.” Ivan said. “Sasha was so much easier to talk to, plus she knew my fucking language.” He continued.

“So you knew her?” Adam deducted.

“Knew her?” Ivan said. “I was sleeping with her for God’s sake.”

“That’s a pleasant thought.” Adam said sarcastically. “If you don’t want anything from us, let me and my people go.”

“I will, I just wanted to get the chance to talk.” He said.

“Well you got the damn chance. Now let us go.” Adam said.

“Look, I’m here. Like it or not, and I’m not going anywhere. So you’re going to just have to deal with it. You can’t win this war without our help and you know it. So quit your bitching.” Ivan said. “And you also might want to be a little more friendly, we’re going to be seeing a lot more of each other.”

“So does this mean the Soviets are in the war?” Adam asked.

“Not officially.” Ivan said, smiling. “We’re off the charts.”

“Great, Russian spec ops.” Adam mumbled. “I just have to ask, is this room big enough for your ego?”

Ivan didn’t answer, he grabbed the knife from his vest and pointed it directly at Adam’s throat.

“I assure you, this room is quite big enough for my ego. But is it big enough for yours?” He asked, rising from his chair, never taking the tip of the knife off Adam’s throat. He walked all the way behind Adam then, with a sudden jerk of his arm, cleanly cut the rope restraining Adam’s hands. “Now, let’s go get your friends.”

He pulled Adam up to his feet and walked towards the door, Adam following right behind.

“Oh, and don’t try to do anything. Just because we’re so-called ‘allies’ doesn’t mean I can’t drop you.” He said.

“Ditto.” Adam said. Ivan lead him through a maze of dark hallways once again, the only lighting coming from the outside. The father they went, the brighter it got due to the windows. They stopped at an open prison cell, a soldier crouched near a bed with a woman chained, spread-eagle, to the bed.

“Pushkin.” Ivan said. The one named Pushkin rose suddenly and spun to attention.

“Sir.” He said.

“What’s the problem?” Ivan asked.

“She won’t hold still for treatment, sir.” Pushkin said.

“It doesn’t matter, she’s not out problem anymore.” Ivan said.

“Sir?” Pushkin asked.

“Release the prisoners. I was right, they were with the Corporal.” He said.

“Yes sir.” Pushkin said as he produced a small key and unlocked the chains holding the woman to the bed. He walked to the other side of the cell to a man, only restrained by a pair of handcuffs to a bed post and unlocked him. He stood immediately, and looked at Adam.

“I was starting to think you were never coming.” Thomas said, looking at Adam.

“I don’t leave my people behind.” Adam said. He watched as Ann slowly sat up, holding a hand to her head where a gash was leaking blood down the side of her face.

“She refused to cooperate, we were forced to retaliate.” Ivan explained.

“I got a question.” Adam said.

“Yeah?” Ivan asked.

“What the hell kind of Russian Soldiers speak perfect English?” Adam asked. Ivan sighed.

“It was Akilina’s idea. She insisted we were more ‘American’ while we were here. It made me sick at first, your language is impossible.” Ivan said.

“Yeah, yeah. Good to know.” Adam said. “Now how do we get out of here.” He asked.

“Back down the hallway, the same way you came. Oh, and don’t come back looking for us. We won’t be here.” Ivan said. “Oh, and you might want to hurry home.”

“What does that mean?” Adam asked.

“Just might want to hurry.” Ivan said.

“Thomas, help Ann.” Adam said.

“Yeah sure thing.” Thomas said as he wrapped Ann’s arm around his shoulder and helped her up. She was obviously in a lot of pain at this point. Thomas seemed to notice Adam’s worried look. “It’s not as bad as it looks, trust me.” He said. “She managed to avoid a concussion, or, only go a very minor one. At this point, it’s hard to tell how much, if any, damage has been done though. I think she’s going to be fine.” Adam turned to Ivan, only to find him not there. Where the hell did he go?

“You hear that!” Adam yelled down the hallway. “You broke my soldier! Fucking Russians.” He mumbled to himself.

“They’re not all bad.” Thomas said. “They were helping us, or trying to at least.”

“They kidnapped you, and beat Ann.” Adam said.

“They did, but that doesn’t give me the right to hate them. Their tactics may be odd, but they are on our side.” He said.

“I think your opinion is going to change real soon.” Adam said as he walked off down the hallway, Thomas helping Ann limp after him. It was hell navigating the dark hallways, but they found their way. Adam immediately saw her, Sasha on the floor. Her arms now folded across her chest and a simple folded piece of cloth under her hands. Her eyes were now shut, the arrow was gone. She looked as if she was just sleeping, like she’d wake up any time now. Any time…

“Jesus Christ…” Thomas gasped.

“How do you feel about your friends now? Huh?” Adam asked. Thomas swallowed hard and cleared his throat. When her spoke his voice full of cracks.

“They made a mistake.” He said. “But we all have, it’s tough times and it brings out the worst in all of us. But that doesn’t mean they’re any less human.” Thomas said.

“Motherfucker.” Adam whispered and he bend down and gently picked up Sasha’s body. Her body was still warm, it unnerved Adam. She was very light, Adam felt if he bumped her around she’s brake into pieces like a vase.

“L-let’s just go.” Thomas said.

“Yeah. Whatever.” Adam grumbled as he lead the way back to the med bay. Adam carrying dead Sasha and Thomas hobbling along with dying Ann. Adam saw the med bay up ahead and took a deep breath as he walked in. Everyone in the room turned and looked at him, carrying the dead body. “She’s dead.” Adam said gruffly. He walked to a clear table and laid her on it, for the first time noticing that the folded cloth in her hands wasn’t a cloth at all, it was a picture. Adam pulled it out from her dead hands and looked at it. It was Sasha, and her two kids. Just as she said. And right next to Sasha, with his arm wrapped around her, was Ivan. They looked… Normal together. Like a real family. Not like her husband was the one who just murdered her or anything.

“Did you find something?” One of the medics asked.

“N-no. It’s nothing.” Adam said, surprised by the tightness of his voice. “I’m sorry Sasha, I really am. Y-you seemed like a good person.

“What’s our next step?” The medic asked.

“How far out of the way is McClellan Air force base?” Adam asked.

“Not too sir, it will only put us thirty minutes out of the way.” The medic said.

“That’ll work.” Adam said.

“I’ll tell the pilot.” The medic said as he turned to leave.

“Hey.” Adam called after him. “Thanks for not asking questions.” The medic nodded to him and walked off.

Adam now had his own agenda, the Army was just going to have to get along without him for a little while. Right now, he had something better to do. An unsaid promise to keep.

He was going to Russia.

“Oh my God!” Ann exclaimed , with the sound of tears. “Riley!”

• [Yes]

Samu Kuusi “God damn it kid, we don’t have time for this.” Samu said. “Stop bitching and start running.” He said. She looked at him in ge

• edited December 2015

[No, there’s another way]

I really don't think he could take down that many soldiers. I mean, a room full of soldiers implies a very large number of soldiers, all of them probably better equipped than Samu. Let's just check out if there are other options. If he gets forced to fight these soldiers either way, he can still fight them, but if there is a safer way, he should take it.

Samu Kuusi “God damn it kid, we don’t have time for this.” Samu said. “Stop bitching and start running.” He said. She looked at him in ge

• [No, there’s another way]

I hope there is another way.

• Samu Kuusi

"No." Samu whispered to her. "There's going to have to be another way, if worst comes to worst and we have to take them on, so be it. But right now, we need to try another way." He said.

"Okay." She answered as the two silently crept back down the hallway. "Any ideas?" She asked.

"Look for a vent, a window, anything big enough to squeeze through. Samu heard a loud commotion coming from the room full of soldiers and hell looked back.

“They’re watching some old movies, they won’t be a problem.” The girl said.

“How good are you with a gun?” Samu asked.

“Not very.” She answered.

“How good is not very?” He asked.

“I don’t think I could hit a brick wall if I was three feet away.” She answered.

“Then I think it’s in our best interest if I stay guard while you look around.” Samu said.

“On it.” She replied, understanding the notion. Samu could hear her shuffling around behind him as he stared on down the hallway. He couldn’t believe he was trusting her like this, but he really didn’t have a choice.

“Anything?” He asked.

“No this place is sealed tight.” She said. “Oh wait…” She said. Samu heard a door open, and a few moments later she called to him.

“Come here and look at this.” She said. Samu began walking backwards towards her, not taking his eyes off the doorway. When he got close to her he turned and looked. The boiler room.

“The boiler room?” Samu asked.

“Yeah, the boiler room.” She answered. “This wall backs up to the edge of the lot. If we can get out from here, all it is is a hop, skip and a jump over to the friendlies a couple of blocks away.” She answered.

“You want us to sit here and chip away at the wall until we have an opening big enough to get through?” He asked. “Do you know how long that’ll take and how much noise it will make?” He asked.

“I have a better idea actually.” She answered. “This boiler is used to heat the building.” She said.

“Yeah, so? You want to cook some hot dogs before we die?” He asked.

“Pressure.” She said. “It’s a boiler, there’s lots of pressure.”

“What are you getting at here?” He asked.

“We can make it explode.” She said.

“At first, I wasn’t sure if you were suicidal or just unlucky. Now, I’m sure you’re suicidal.” He said.

“Probably.” She said. “But that’s beside the point. We can rig it to explode, and get out through the hole it leaves. Everyone will be too busy looking at the hole in the wall to see the two nobodies running away.”

“You know how stupid that sounds?” Samu asked. “I’d rather take my chances in the gun fight.”

“It sounds pretty smart to me.” She said. “I know this area pretty well, the area outside this wall isn’t patrolled. We can run to a nearby building and lay low until it all blows over, then we can run for it. Or we can just run for it, if that’s your style.”

“My style doesn’t include hole-punching a brick wall with a boiler.” Samu said. “It includes staying alive.”

“How long until you think they see the bodies? As soon as they find that out, we’re done for. No chance of escape.” She said.

“That doesn’t mean we can just blow everything up.” Samu said.

“Yeah, it doesn’t. But it gives us a damn good reason to.” She said.

“How long will it take to rig a boiler to explode?” Samu asked.

“Not long, I may not be good with a gun, but blowing stuff up, that’s my forte.” She answered.

“I don’t want that, I want an amount of time.” Samu said.

“Maybe a few minutes at most.” She said. “Then we just have to sit back and watch the fireworks.” She said, looking at the old boiler. “Looking at the shape of this boiler, it looks like it might explode when I turn it on.” She said.

“That’s reassuring.” Samu grumbled.

“So does this mean you’re going with my plan?” She asked.

Choice

[Yes, blow it up]

[Nah, We’re just going to shoot our way out]

Adam Johnson

The entire helicopter was silent. Not a word was being spoken. Ann was staring out the window, with two different bodies lying on the helicopters floor before her. Adam felt like he should say something, but felt like anything he said would just come out negatively.

She’s in a better place? No, that just didn’t sound right.

All things happen for a reason? Nah, that’s a bad one too.

Maybe the best thing to say was nothing at all. He didn’t know Riley at all, really. He had no place in saying anything about her, about what happened to her. The poor girl was dead, and Ann obviously felt like it was her fault.

Adam felt like it was his fault to. Not Riely, but Sasha. The second dead body in a bag on the floor of this helicopter. Adam though of what Ivan Resnov had said to him earlier, “Let’s just make this clear, that arrow was meant for you. Sasha just stepped in the crosshairs.”

The more he thought about it the more he realized how true it really was, the way that arrow was headed it would’ve hit him instead of her. He was the one who should be in the bag right now, not her. Not the mother, the Russian news reporter who by some twist of fate ended up on the new bloodiest country on Earth. It just wasn’t right. Adam would give anything to take her place right now.

“McClellan Air Force Base, ETA 5 minutes.” The pilot spoke through the intercom.

“Copy.” Adam said, darkly in response. Ann didn’t move. Thomas turned to Adam.

“Why are we going to McClellan? I though you said you guys were camped out at Cormack.” He said.

“I did.” Adam answered, not in the mood for lengthy conversation.

“You know, when I first moved to America, I had no idea what I was in for.” Thomas said, Adam said nothing in acknowledgment. Adam turned and looked out the window at the landscape flying by. He could already see McClellan coming into view…

And que the second thoughts. He suddenly found himself questioning the reality before him, he was going to Russia? Seriously? How stupid can he get?

Apparently stupid enough to fly a plane from California to Alaska.

“Coming in for landing.” The pilot said, Adam had already noticed the helicopters decent. As soon as they hit the ground Adam threw the door open and jumped out. He awkwardly lifted Sasha’s body over his shoulder.

“Where are you doing?” Thomas asked.

“I’m taking her home.” Adam said. “It’s only right after what happened. Plus, I think I have a few things to discus with our new allies.”

“Let me come with you, Getting from California to Russia isn’t going to be easy. It’ll only be harder on your own.” Thomas said.

“More reason for you not to come.” Adam said as he slid the helicopters door shut and motioned to the pilot. Adam instantly felt the force of the rotors greaten as the metal beast got off the ground and began its ascent. Adam began walking away with the body over his shoulder down the tarmac in search of a plane. In hind-sight, it was a big overlook on his part. He’s pretty much doomed if they didn’t have a plane here. He didn’t fear getting shot at all. McClellan was a no-man’s land. For one reason or another, there was no real fighting at McClellan, maybe it just had something to do with its location. And plus, if someone would just shoot him right now it would solve a lot of problems.

No such misfortunate luck for him, as he scoured the hangars filled with parts, but sadly no planes. He probably should’ve had a contingency plan in place… Oh well. Just when he was about to give up the fruitless search, he saw it. A white and red private jet, not his first choice of plane to find in an Air Force Base. But in this case, if it flew and landed, it was all he needed.

Now there was just one thing left to do…

Learn how to fly a plane.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.