The dark before the dawn. Interactive story

Comments

• So, I just got back from the interview... I got the job.

Wow, these are big news! I wish you the best of luck

• Many congratulations :D

mr.quality posted: »

So, I just got back from the interview... I got the job.

• Katie Dicanto

The bodies didn’t surprise her, she was expecting that.

The blood didn’t surprise her, she was expecting that.

In a war zone, you expect to see bodies and blood. Death and decay, and frankly, these bodies were a bit more than just decayed. They seemed to have been here a long time, some had maggots crawling all over them, some had parts where there just wasn’t any flesh anymore at all.

But none of these things surprised Katie, no. None of these things are why she stopped, why she was staring.

Out of all of this horror, the thing that got to her were the children.

Poor, innocent, young children. Children that had no business dying. Children that should still be alive, not rotting away on the floor of some rancid hospital from hell.

Katie was going to make whoever did this pay. She was going to make the Network pay.

She didn’t realize her hands were shaking at this point, all she realized was the room full of dead children. This entire room was just one giant coffin full of kindergartners.

She probably would’ve gone on staring a lot longer than she did had it not been for Samu. She was just staring, blankly into the abyss when she felt a hand on her shoulder she placed her own hand over his.

“You shouldn’t look at this.” Samu said. Katie swallowed the lump in her throat.

“I have to…” She said. “I have to remember.”

“You shouldn’t torture yourself like this.” He said.

“They’re just kids Samu, who would do this to them?” She asked. He didn’t have an answer immediately.

“Not us.” He answered eventually. Katie felt his hand slip away from her shoulder. “Come on, we have a job to do.” He said, she heard him walking away.

She look out into the room full of dead children once more, her eyes drifted to a young girl in a yellow shirt, stained with blood. She had a nametag that crudely pronounced her name as Ellie. She bit her lip as she grabbed the door knob and slammed the door.

She began walking after Samu, stepping over dead bodies left and right. She spotted him stopped, standing against the wall where it branched off. He peeked around the corner and instantly ducked his head back. Katie trotted up next to him.

“What’s going on?” She asked.

“Network.” He said. “Two of them.” She pressed herself against the wall, and sighed. He looked back at her. “What do we do?” He asked.

“I’ve got an idea. Just stay back.” She said.

“What?” he asked, but didn’t have enough time to register what was happening as she brushed past him into the hallway. She saw two flashlights floating at the other end.

“Stop right there!” One yelled, before Katie put a bullet right through his head. The second on lifted his gun and fire off a few shots, but Katie put an end to that real quick as she shot him in the chest. She walked through the hall towards the man, crouching next to him, watching him write in pain.

“Son of a bitch…” He exhaled. “Son of a bitch.”

“Shut up.” She spat at him, her hand reaching out, grabbing his mask.

“No, no.” He said. “Don’t. No!” He screamed out as Katie ripped the gas mask from his face. It was almost instantaneous. She didn’t know what she was expecting, but it wasn’t that.

Within moments, he was spewing blood. Coughing it up, coming from his nose, pouring out of his eyes. Marburg had found another victim.

“Eat shit, fucker.” Katie said, watching him continue to spew blood from every orifice. He coughed blood onto her mask, and she wiped it away, continuing to look into his eyes until he just quit. He just quit existing. Dead. Like everyone else. Dead.

“What the fuck Katie?” Samu asked, as she marched up behind her.

“What the fuck?” Katie asked. “He got exactly what he deserved!” She yelled.

“Katie… Jesus.” He muttered.

“Don’t tell me you’re taking their side on this one.” She snapped.

“I’m not, Katie. But, seriously.” He said.

She didn’t know when it started, but it did. She was on her knees crying, which was very awkward behind this gas mask.

Then there was Samu, right next to her. He kneeled down, draping his arm around her shoulder saying it would all be okay. Somehow.

“What am I?” She cried into his shoulder. She felt his hand on the back of her head.

“It’s okay, Katie.” He said, his voice calm. “Just go wait outside, I won’t take long.” He said.

“No… I-I can do this.” She said.

“That wasn’t a request.” He said as he stood up. Then he was gone. Then she was on her feet, stumbling through the hospital back towards the front door.

She made it as far as the edge of the parking lot before she threw the gas mask to the ground and collapsed, crying out for anyone to hear. Crying out so God would somehow know her anguish.

Her pistol was in her holster, but then it was in her hand. Then it was in her mouth, the barrel of the gun was in her mouth. Her finger covered the trigger, her entire arm shaking.

Her mind raced, everything had gone from bad to worse to unbearable. She remembered everything so quickly, like a slideshow of her failures. She failed to protect her family. She failed to save her mother from herself, she failed to save Ellie from the Network, failed to save Melaine from the elements, failed to save herself from Denver, failed to save her group from Denver, failed to save Denver from Denver, failed to save Lester from Coates, failed to save Zero from Coates. And now, she couldn’t even keep herself together enough to find some damn pills.

She’d failed. She’d failed everyone she knew, failed everyone she came into contact with. She failed herself.

Her finger twitched, tightened on the trigger. She shut her eyes, as her shaking hand continued to apply pressure to the trigger.

A bullet travels around 4000 feet per second, or something like that. She assured herself. That’s… Four times faster than the speed of sound. At that speed, it would be like a knife through butter. You wouldn’t feel a thing.

Then, her finger snapped. The trigger pulled back. She heard a tell-tale click. The gun was empty. Her shaking hand withdrew the gun from her mouth, dropping it to the ground.

She instantly became disgusted at herself for being such a coward, she became mad at herself for being so weak, for being so vulnerable.

And then, she shifted forwards and laid down on the parking lot pavement, tears running down her cheeks as she stared at the doors. Waiting for Samu to return.

Carmen Dominguez

“Great to see you again.” Carmen said, embracing Ann.

“Looks like your plan paid off.” She said.

“Everyone’s here?” Carmen asked.

“Accounted for and present.” Glaz said.

“Elias and Ann?” She asked.

“In the truck.” He responded.

“Where are we headed?” She asked.

“East.” Banshee said. “The Network’s set up in Salt Lake City.”

“And here comes the good news bad news thing.” Glaz said.

“What’s the good news?” She asked.

“Everyone we want dead is conveniently put together in one place.” Glaz said.

“Bad news?” She asked.

“The place is a damn fortress.” Banshee said. “It’ll be nearly impossible to get in.”

“But?” Carmen asked.

“We don’t have a plan yet.” Glaz said.

“But we’ve got about 800 miles to come up with one, with the route we’re taking.” Ann said.

“Okay, let’s get on the road then.” Carmen said.

“Copy that.” Glaz said. “Everyone in the truck and get comfy, we’re not stopping until we reach Goodsprings.” He said as he turned and began walking away. He pulled open the door and climbed in. Banshee smiled to Carmen.

“Shotgun.” She called out. Carmen narrowed her eyes.

“You little…” She began.

“Hey, rules of the road honey.” Banshee said as she walked over to the truck.

“Looks like you’re stuck in the back with me and the kids.” Ann said as she brushed past Carmen walking towards the truck.

“All of us in a truck together for 800 miles?” She spoke to herself. “Can’t wait.” She mumbled as she climbed up into the back, pulling the door shut. She saw Elias and Ann were back there. She greeted both of them, they reciprocated.

The truck lurched forwards onto the road. Carmen watched the yellow lines roll by. One mile down, 799 more to go.

“Dudes, this is getting real lame real quick.” Banshee announced.

“What do you suppose we do about it?” Carmen asked.

“I say…” Banshee said, reaching into her back and pulling out a small plastic case. “We put on some tunes.”

“No.” Carmen instantly said as she saw the case. “I hate that shit.”

“Sorry honey, rules of the road.” Banshee said. “Person that rides in the front picks the music.” Carmen rolled her eyes.

“You know, one of these days it’s going to be my turn to get back at you.” Carmen said.

“Can’t wait.” Banshee said as she slid the CD into the radio. It took a moment for the old truck to register the crap that was just put in it, even the truck didn’t want to play it.

But, it gave way and the death squeal of America culture blending with the outer world in a concoction known as Swede pop filled the cabin. Carmen rolled her eyes and Banshee only made it worse, singing along with the music.

Somewhere between the time Banshee began howling and now, Carmen had somehow managed to fall asleep. She swore, she’d just shut her eyes for a second. But when she woke up, her head was laying on Ann’s shoulder.

She look up and noticed that they weren’t moving anymore. They were stopped. She noticed a massive wreck in the road in front of them.

“Well shit.” Carmen mumbled. “What do we do now?”

“That’s what we’re trying to figure out.” Glaz said.

“We either press through the wreck and risk damaging the truck, or we deviate from the plan and hold up in Henderson for the night.” Banshee said. “Any input?”

Choice

[Push through]

[Head for Henderson]

• Thank you!!

Many congratulations

• [Head for Henderson]

Pushing through sounds just too risky for the truck. If it gets damaged, they are done for, so I believe we should head for Henderson. By the way, could you give me an update abput one thing? Is Thomas with them, or do I remember something wrong here? I could swear he was with them when they got captured by the Network, but I may mix things up here.

And god, I believe this is literally the lowest point in Katie's life. I knew the past weighs heavily on her, but I never thought she'd effectively attempt suicide. I held my breath during this part, as I was genuinely scared that she'd blow her brains out now. And well, it was sheer luck that she survived. In a twisted way, these Network guys saved her life by catching her bullets. Though it appears she snapped out of this state og mind by the end of the part, when she realized what she almost did. This is good. Or at least, better than before. Now I hope Samu makes it without backup. That said, Katie was supposed to be his mental backup and she ended up more desperate than he had ever been. In fact, he just supported her emotionally, which was as unexpected as it was cute. Hopefully Samu makes it back, because I'm loving these interactions between them.

Katie Dicanto The bodies didn’t surprise her, she was expecting that. The blood didn’t surprise her, she was expecting that. In a w

• Congrats! What kind of job is it?

So, I just got back from the interview... I got the job.

• [Head for Henderson] I agree with Liquid, its better not to risk it.

Great part! I really enjoy Carmens escape story that plays out nicely. Maybe a bit too nicely until now and I hope it continues to go that way. Katie was a mess in this part but great to read and still my favorite. It says a lot when Samu looks strong compared to her. Until she put the gun in her mouth, I thought she was the collected one. I think she needs his support, or any support because we dont want this to happen again with a loaded gun. She was so strong until now, she just cant break now.

Katie Dicanto The bodies didn’t surprise her, she was expecting that. The blood didn’t surprise her, she was expecting that. In a w

• Fast food. But this still.money.

janitor posted: »

Congrats! What kind of job is it?

• Is Thomas with them, or do I remember something wrong here?

I think you're right, but don't worry. I have a plan for this.

[Head for Henderson] Pushing through sounds just too risky for the truck. If it gets damaged, they are done for, so I believe we should h

• Lucia Martinez

“I may not be a trained solider like the rest of you guys, but I still don’t like the odds of attacking this place head-on.” Lucia said, she caught Amira’s glance for a moment. She wasn’t mad, nor upset. Lucia swore she almost saw pity in her gaze, though she said nothing at all.

“Then we send someone in.” Simon said. “But who we send in is now the question.” He went on.

“Not me.” Torsten mumbled lazily.

“Wasn’t banking on it.” Simon said. “It’s not going to be me, you, Iris, or Sarah.” He said.

“Why not?” Lucia asked.

“When you’re sending someone in undercover, you want someone that’s not going to draw to much attention. All of us would have every set of eyes available on us.” Simon said. “We stick out, we don’t blend in.”

“So it’s me.” Lucia said.

“No.” Amira said, quietly. “It’s me.”

“Wait, I never said it was you.” Simon said. “The kid’s just as good.”

“Well, I’m not letting her risk her life for no God-damned reason, Simon.” She retorted.

“I can’t send you in there with a clear conscious, Amira.” Simon said. “I’m afraid you’ll just break down on us and get yourself killed.”

“So what if I do?” She asked. “It’s not like I’m doing anything important here.”

“If they spot you and kill you, then there would be no way for us to get inside.” He responded. “The kid’s our only chance.” Lucia saw her glaring at Simon, even though the dying light.

“The kid’s name is Lucia, Simon.” She said Lucia caught a hint of despair in her voice.

“Amira, it’s not final yet. There’s still time-“ He began.

“Bull shit!” She yelled. “You’re going to get her killed and you know it!”

“Hey, hey!” Lucia butted in, Amira and Simon both stopped dead in their tracks and turned to look at her. “It’s my life on the line, It’s my choice.” Simon narrowed his eyes and looked over to Amira.

“She’s right.” He said. Amira bit her lip as she continued looking at Lucia.

“Then my choice is made.” Lucia said. “I’m going in.” Amira’s lips went slightly ajar, and she looked as if she were about to speak but Simon interjected before she got the chance.

“Then it’s settled.” He said. A brief silence fell like a shroud over the few.

“God help us all.” Amira said as she hefted her gun and turned, walking away. Lucia heard her footsteps retreating into the darkness.

“From the way I see it, God better help himself.” Simon said, kicking dirt into the fire and casting the entire camp into darkness.

That night Lucia had no dream, no picture in her head. Nothing. All she saw were faces, those she’d lost, betrayed, used, and abused. They said nothing, but each, in their own way, mocked her, scorned her.

The next morning dawned to early, as Lucia was awoken by Simon. Light had yet to shine into the forest where they camped, but it would soon rise.

“What?” Lucia asked.

“We’re moving out.” He responded. Lucia sighed as she stood up, and grabbed her gun. Lucia spotted Amira, who had dark rings around her eyes and a fresh cut on her lip, trudging forwards ahead of everyone. Iris and Sarah were behind her, Torsten managed to end up next to Lucia.

“What happened to your face?” Lucia asked, taking note of the intimidating scarring on his left cheek. Lucia got the impression that he wasn’t going to answer, as he was silent for a long time.

“I got burnt.” He responded.

“How’d that happen? House catch on fire or something?” She asked.

“My unit was attacked.” He spoke. “Fuckers came out of nowhere and light the place up like a Christmas tree. I was the only one that got out alive.”

“And you’re still fighting?” Lucia asked.

“It’s my job.” He said.

“Aren’t you afraid that you’re going to die?” She asked.

“Aren’t you?” He asked. “Death comes to all men. Being afraid to die is acceptable, but thinking you won’t isn’t.”

“I know what I’m doing.” Lucia said. “I think.” She whispered to herself, as so no one could hear.

“We’re about to find out.” Torsten said, Lucia was surprised. Either she’d spoken louder than she thought, or he had hearing like a bat.

“Guys, hold up a minute.” Amira announced from ahead.

“What is it?” Simon asked.

“I’ve got a signal from inside the complex.” She said

“Probably just a Netowkr radio.” Sarah said.

“No, it’s a different wavelength.” Amira said. “This is some sort of Ham radio or something. Not what the Network uses. There’s no inscription on it either.” She said.

“What’s it saying?” Simon asked.

“It’s a recorded message on a loop.” Amira said. “It’s from someone named Doctor Jordan Spencer, she’s saying she’s been taken captive and needs help.”

“Anything else?” Iris asked.

“Yeah, hold on.” Amira said, pausing. “She’s saying she’s being held in the animal research division.”

“Wait, say that name again for me.” Torsten said.

“Doctor Jordan Spencer.” Amira repeated.

“I’ll be damned.” Torsten said.

“What?” Sarah asked.

“That’s the same quack I was sent in after.” He said.

“Why were you sent after her?” Iris asked.

“My team was supposed to get her to safety.” He said. “We all see how that went.”

“Can we trust her?” Simon asked.

“Hell if I know.” Torsten said. “But just a word to the wise, never trust anyone.”

“Fair point.” Simon said, turning to Lucia. “You got that name right? Jordan Spencer. You find her, and get connected. Nothing more.” He said.

“Got it.” Lucia said.

“We’re a mile out from the research complex.” Sarah announce. “I say we split up. Amira and Torsten, you two take the west side. Me, Simon, and Iris will take the west.”

“What about me?” Lucia asked.

“Doesn’t matter.” Iris said. “The west is as good as the east for an entry.” She said.

Choice

[Head East]

[Head West]

Katie Dicanto

Katie continued laying on her back, staring at the sky far above. She took note of the vultures circling overhead. They’d mistaken her for dead, she almost wished she was.

“Katie?” A voice asked. Her head lazily turned to the side and she saw Samu approaching her. “Are you alright?” He asked. Katie pointed up at the large birds far above.

“They think I’m dead.” She laughed. Samu dropped down to one knee next to her. He looked her over, trying to find something to say but it was obvious he had no idea what was wrong.

“Come on, we should go.” Was the only thing he could think of to say.

“You know,” Katie said, looking to Samu. “Back when this whole thing began, my mother killed herself. Took a bunch of pills, stopped her heart. My younger sister was the one that found her.” She said, folding her arms across her chest. “Do you think I’m destined to follow the same path?” She asked. He shook his head.

“I don’t believe in destiny. I don’t believe in fate.” He said. “The only path that’s out there is the one you make for yourself.” He said.

“In that case, I’m getting real tired of sojourning through this life alone.” She said. He sighed.

“Life can be lonely, especially nowadays.” He said. “Everywhere you look, there’s nothing but despair and hate. But the thing is, that’s barely the surface. You just have to keep looking, and somewhere out there you’ll find hope.”

“You still believe there’s hope for any of us?” She asked, with a laugh.

“I know there is.” He said. “You and me, we’ve brought hope to so many people across the country. No matter how short our stories are, everyone’s heard them. We strike fear into the Network and instill hope into the rebel.” He looked over towards the tree line. “And we’re only two examples in a small corner of the world.”

“How am I supposed to find ‘hope’ when everyone round me is dying?” She asked.

“Hope’s a funny thing.” He said. “It’ll be hiding where you least expect it. All you’ve got to have is faith.” He said. She chuckled.

“Sorry, fresh out of faith.” She said. He shook his head.

“One day, you’re going to find hope.” He said. “And I’m going to make damn sure I’m there to see it.” He said.

“Can’t wait.” She said. He stood up and stretched his hand out towards Katie. She reluctantly took his hand and was hauled up.

“Oh, before I forget.” He said, unslinging a rifle from his shoulder. He handed it towards Katie, and she grabbed it. Just the felling of the rifle in her hands sent a tingle down her spine. It was just like her old one. M24 SWS. Used by military and police forces across the globe.

“Where did you?” She asked, unable to finish the question.

“I found it inside. Appearently a SWAT team was guarding the place when it got gassed.” He said. She turned it over in her hands, taking in every detail of it. She saw on the stock, in crude letters, a name was carved in it, Don. She silently thanked the man named Don for the rifle that was now in her hands.

“Thank you.” She said. He brandished another rifle from his shoulder.

“Got one for me too.” He said. “Are we good to go?” He asked. She nodded.

“Yeah.” She said. “We’re good to go.”

It was now a little while later, the two were walking down the road. Katie balanced on the guardrail the spanned out in front of her. On the other side of the street, Samu was doing the same thing on the other guardrail.

“So, what are somethings you like?” She asked.

“You trying to throw me off my game?” He asked. She laughed.

“No, it was just a question.” She said.

“Well, to be honest, nothing beats a cold beer.” He said. “Yeah, I could really go for one of those right now.”

“Screw that.” Katie said. “I could go for an entire case right now.” He laughed at her comment.

“How about you?” He asked. “What do you like?”

“Promise not to laugh?” She asked.

“No promises.” He said.

“I’m secretly a history buff.” She said.

“Really now?” He asked. “Then… What was the Edict of Fontainebleau?” He asked. She laughed.

“It was an edict that revoked the edict of Nantes.” She said.

“And what was the edict of Nantes?” He asked.

“The edict that gave the Huguenots the right to worship without the fear of prosecution by the state.” She said. “What’s with the sudden fascination with France?” She asked.

“I don’t know.” He said. “I’ve been planning a vacation.”

“And what would you do in France, Samu?” She asked.

“You mean other than be a ridiculously tacky tourist?” He asked, almost losing his balance. “I’d most certainly have to go and see the Eiffel tower. How about you?”

“Where would I go?” She asked.

“Yeah.” He said.

“Hmm.” Katie pondered for a moment. “Australia.” She said. “I want to just go get lost in the outback, never have to worry about the rest of the world at all.”

“I’m right there with you.” He said.

“Hey, Samu.” Katie said, in a quick hiss. “Hold up a second I heard something.” She said. Samu instantly jumped down from the guardrail. He looked over to Katie and she just laughed.

“No fair.” He said. “That was totally cheating.” He said.

“All is fair-“

“In love and war.” He said.

“I was going to say treachery and deceit, but okay.” She said, and she jumped down from the guardrail. “But, regardless of the fact, I think I won.”

“Fair enough.” He said.

“And my prize?” She asked. He looked around.

“I didn’t know we were playing for prizes.” He said. “Here, have this.” He said as he dug into his pocket and pulled out a single bullet, tossing it to Katie. She caught it.

“Nice.” She said. “All I have to do is win a few more time, and I’m set.” She said, just as she heard a rustle in the nearby bushes. She pulled up her rifle and Samu did the same.

“Come out! Now!” Katie demanded.

“Don’t shoot!” A small voice cried.

“Just come out.” Samu said, softly. Out from the bushes a young girl emerged, her face badly bruised and her nose bleeding.

“My God, what happened to you?” He asked.

“We were attacked.” She said. “They took everyone else.”

“Who’s they?” Katie asked.

“The Network.” She said.

“How many of your people do they have?” She asked.

“Almost ten.” She said. “We’re part of a mission group, traveling the country to teach people of God. The pastor refused to bring a gun because he said a man of God wouldn’t need any protection, guess he was kind of wrong.”

“No shit.” Katie jeered. The young girl looked almost offended.

“Where did they take them all?” Samu asked.

“Somewhere into the woods, some camp somewhere. I never saw it.” She said. “Please, you have to get my sister back. I promised my father I’d look after her.”

“What’s your name?” Katie asked.

“My name is Faith Granger.” She said. “My sister’s name is Hope. Please, just get her back to me.”

Choice

[Agree to help Faith]

[Refuse to help Faith]

• edited May 2016

[Head East]

Iris already mentioned that both sides are similarly suitable for an entry, so it's not as if one side would give Lucia in particular an advantage. However, from a logical point of view, we have three people going east and two people going west, which means that Lucia should better go with Amira and Torsten to make it even in terms of numbers, to give both teams an equal chance. Also, another argument in favour of heading west is Amira. She really seems to be on the edge, in a way that reminds me a little bit of Katie's worrying state of mind and from what we have seen so far, Torsten does not exactly sound like the right person to take good care of her. Better have someone like Lucia, who is less gruff, to watch over her as long as possible.

[Agree to help Faith]

Gah, damn it, I don't know what to choose D: This is exactly the choice that could get Katie killed and for obvious reasons, it is my utmost priority to prevent that. However, at the same time I know I can't just keep her out of danger forever, not if I simultaneously want her to continue being awesome and having an intriguing storyline. There's also the thing that her current state of mind worries me. She seems to have just narrowly avoided a fullblown depression, but seriously, she needs to do something to prove her worth or else it is going to get worse. Saving a little girl from the Network is exactly what could improve her sense of self worth. There's also the thing that she is a good person at heart and so is Samu. I doubt he would approve of refusing to help Faith and perhaps he'd even leave on his own to help her. Since after the recent parts, I include him in my list of characters whom I want to keep save for sure, I would like for Katie to give him some backup. Seriously, these two are adorable, I love their interaction, in this part in particular, and I'm shipping them immensely. I half expected one of them to make a move in this part, though I was unsure if it would be Katie or Samu and I'm sure, if they both survive (and I really hope they will) it's only a matter of time until this ship starts to sail.

Lucia Martinez “I may not be a trained solider like the rest of you guys, but I still don’t like the odds of attacking this place head-on

• “I say we split up. Amira and Torsten, you two take the west side. Me, Simon, and Iris will take the west.”

So, which is the side Torsten and Amira go to? I would like to pick the side with Torsten of course and I also agree with Liquids reason but it looks like both groups take the west side XD

[Agree to help Faith]

Again Liquid said almost everything I want to say as well. I always saw Katie and Samu as decent people and dont see them as the kind who would just leave a little girl to the Network. They are also totally badass. Samu escaped from the Network dungeons and Katie survived falling from a cliff so I think they have a chance for success here. Also if they succeed it will strengthen their bond which I find super cute.

Lucia Martinez “I may not be a trained solider like the rest of you guys, but I still don’t like the odds of attacking this place head-on

• So, which is the side Torsten and Amira go to? I would like to pick the side with Torsten of course and I also agree with Liquids reason but it looks like both groups take the west side XD

Well. I dun goofed. We'll just say Amira and Torsten are the group headed east... My bad. I'm so stupid sometimes.

janitor posted: »

“I say we split up. Amira and Torsten, you two take the west side. Me, Simon, and Iris will take the west.” So, which is the side To

• Oh, I did not notice that either XD I would like to change my vote to [Head East] then. I still stay by my reason, I feel like Amira and Torsten might need the help more, as they have one soldier less than the other team.

So, which is the side Torsten and Amira go to? I would like to pick the side with Torsten of course and I also agree with Liquids reason but

• Then I choose [Head East] of course :P

So, which is the side Torsten and Amira go to? I would like to pick the side with Torsten of course and I also agree with Liquids reason but

• Carmen Dominguez

“Take the exit, head for Henderson.” Carmen said. “We’ll pick up from there.”

“On it.” Glaz said as the truck lurched backwards, it rolled down the road until Glaze put it back into drive and turned onto the exit ramp heading for Henderson.

“So, uh, anyone have any ideas about how we’re going to get into Salt Lake?” Carmen asked.

“Only one.” Banshee said. “And you’re not going to like it.”

“It’s better than nothing, let me hear it.” Carmen said.

“Well, after that stunt we pulled back at camp, your cover kinda got blown.” She said.

“Wait, they know who I am?” Carmen asked. Banshee nodded.

“You are now officially wanted dead by all sides of this war.” Glaz said. “Congratulations.”

“But,” Ann cut in. “That’s where the plan picks up. They want you dead, so, we bring you to them.”

“You’re going to turn me in at the gates of Salt Lake City?” Carmen asked. Ann nodded.

“We can get you in, then you have to get us in.” Glaz said. “You open the gates, we sneak in, everyone in charge is gone by the time the city wakes up.”

“I don’t like that plan.” Carmen said.

“I told you you wouldn’t.” Banshee said.

“But it just might work.” Carmen said. “It’s the best plan we have, and if we don’t come up with anything else, it’s what we’ll do.”

“But Carmen, you have to know, they’re not just going to kill you.” Ann said. “They’ll drag it out, make it slow, painful, something for everyone to see.”

“I’ve been doing stupid things all my life, I have no intentions of stopping now.” Carmen said. “Especially if it has a chance of ending this damn war.” Ann smiled at her comment, looking as if she was going to say something, but was unable to. The sound of someone knocking on the glass at the bed of the truck cut them off.

Carmen turned around and looked, seeing Thomas in the back. He made eye contact with her and pointed to something behind him. Carmen slid the glass panel open and climbed her way out into the back of the truck.

“What is it?” She asked.

“Look.” Thomas said, pointing down the road from where they just came. There was a military jeep speeding up behind them, rapidly gaining ground.

“We’re being followed.” Carmen announced.

“What do we do?” Thomas asked.

“It’s not a Network jeep… The make and markings are all wrong.”

“What is it then?” He asked.

“Fed’s.” She said. “We’re being chased down by the fed’s.”

“Then they know who we are.” Thomas said. “They wouldn’t just chase down civilians.” Carmen sighed as she closed her fist, banging it against the roof of the truck. She may be ballsy, but running from the fed’s in a truck full of kids wasn’t her style. She felt the truck slow to a stop, and watched as the jeep slid to a quick stop next to them, leaving black tire marks on the road. Four men jumped out of the truck, brandishing weapons at them.

“Hands! Let me see your hands!” One announced, he had dark skin, warm brown eyes, short dark hair and though he was thin, he looked like he could readily kill someone with his bare hands. A faded tag on his shirt read ‘Woods’.Carmen complied quickly, putting her hands into the air as a gun was stuffed in her face.

“Please, just let us go.” Carmen begged. “We’re just some civilians running from the Network.”

“You and I both know that’s not true.” Woods said. “We saw where you came from, we saw what you did. We can tell you’re not exactly on their side, are you?” He asked.

“Not really, no.” Carmen responded. “Elias, Thomas, Ann, and younger Ann. They were all prisoners.” She said.

“And you?” He asked.

“Not important who I am.” Carmen said.

“At least tell me your name, it would make things much easier.” He said. “I’m Bud Woods… And you are?” He asked. Carmen suddenly went blank, she recalled what Glaz said not long ago, she was wanted dead by all side of the war.

“Abigail.” Carmen said. “My name is Abigail Hopper.”

“Nice to meet you Abigail, mind hopping down from that truck so we can talk?” He asked, offering her his hand. Carmen reached out and took it, jumping down from the truck.

“What is it you want to talk about?” Carmen asked.

“I want to talk about what it is you’re doing.” He said. “We’ve seen you attack your own people and then run, where are you running?” He asked.

“I’m not sure you want to know.” Carmen said. “It could get dangerous.”

“Abigail, we live for dangerous.” He said. “You seem to have an agenda that’s not the same as the Network’s meaning it matches with ours.” He said. “So where are you headed, you small group of rebels?”

“Salt Lake City.” Carmen said, she saw Bud’s eyes widen at the mention of the place.

“That’s a death trap for people like us.” He said. “You can’t get in there.”

“You can if they want you.” Carmen said.

“You’re willing to give yourself up for dead for this cause?” he asked. “That’s dedication.”

“It is what it is.” Carmen said. “So, you going to let us go or what?” She asked.

“No.” he said. “We’d like to join you, if that’s alright. We have a camp set up in Henderson, we can set up there for the night and set out in the morning.” Carmen looked at Bud, he’d posed it as if she had a choice, but somewhere deep inside, she knew she had none. She nodded her head.

“Yeah. That would be good.” She said. “Let me tell my people, I’ll ride with you.”

“Sounds good.” He said. “Don’t take too long, this road is pretty exposed.” She nodded and walked away, stepping up to the driver’s window of the truck. She leaned in towards Glaz.

“What’s going on?” He asked.

“They’re coming with us.” She said. “Just follow their jeep.”

“I feel like we just keep digging our graves a little deeper.” He said.

“Tell me about it.” She said, then dropped her voice to barely a whisper. “From here on in, you call me no other name than Abigail. The Fed’s want me dead just as bad as the Network, no need in getting myself killed before my time’s come.” She said.

“Got it.” He said. “Just lead the way.” Carmen slowly nodded to him as she stepped back from the truck and walked over towards the jeep where Bud sat in the back. She climbed up into the jeep and sat beside him.

“So, where did you come from?” He asked. “A girl like you ought to have quite the story to tell.” Carmen lifted her eyebrow as she looked at him.

“I don’t know.” She said.

“What do you mean you don’t know?” He asked.

“I don’t know where I came from, I don’t know who my family is. I don’t remember anything before this war, other than a few flashes.” She said. “Right at the beginning of this all, the Network attacked me in LA. I got blown up, just couldn’t seem to remember anything.”

“You remember your name though.” He said. She looked over at him for half a second locking eyes.

“Do I?” She asked.

“Sounds harsh.” Bud said. “It takes someone special to do what you’re doing.” He went on.

“Doing what?” She asked.

“Continuing to live in spite of the fact that life wants you dead.” He said. “You remind me a lot of my son.”

“Your son?” She questioned. He nodded.

“He died, he had leukemia, when he was only ten.” He said. “But if there’s one thing I remember best about him, it’s that even as he lay dying, he refused to give up.”

“Your son sounded like a great kid.” Carmen said after a short pause. “I know what it’s like to lose a kid.”

“You had a kid?” Bud asked. Carmen shook her head.

“No, she wasn’t mine.” Carmen said. “I was recruited by some Mercs after LA, they had this kid there named Riley. To them she was pretty much just some slave. Our boss sold out to the Network, so we ran for it. She got shot.” Before she could finish Bud cut her off.

“That sounds horrible.” He said.

“It was.” Carmen said before continuing her story. “We took her to a Fed camp to get her some help, then me and Ann left, but I got stabbed. She took me back to the camp, they decided it was best to go to Alcatraz for supplies. Riley ended up dying from internal bleeding right there in that prison.” Bud shook his head.

“This world sees anything that shines and just has to throw a rock at it.” He said.

“I know what you mean.” Carmen said.

“Abigail, may I ask you a question?” He asked. Carmen nodded.

“You just did.” She said.

“Smart ass.” He said.

“Go ahead.” She laughed.

“Do you really think your plan will work?” He asked. She shook her head.

“We all have our own crosses to bear.” Carmen said. “This one’s mine, whether or not it works.” Bud silently agreed with her, not saying a word though she knew how he felt.

“You’re either very brave or very stupid.” He said. “I can’t seem to tell which it is.”

“Why can’t it be both?” She asked. Just as it seemed Bud was about to answer, Carmen felt the truck jump and swerve across the road. She heard a loud bang. The tire had popped.

“What happened?” bud yelled to the driver.

“I don’t know.” The driver responded. “The tire just popped.” He continued as the truck slowed to a stop. Carmen saw her friends in the truck right behind them had stopped too.

“Everybody out.” Bud announced. “We have to fix this thing before we go anywhere.” Carmen complied and jumped out of the jeep, her boots hitting the road. She instantly didn’t like it. On both sides of the road they were surrounded by trees, there was no visibility, and this road was a bottleneck. They’d be live targets in a shooting gallery.

“What the…” The driver said.

“What is it?” Bud asked.

“Spike strip.” The driver announced. “Like, the kind police forces use.”

“Can you fix it?” Bud asked.

“The hole’s too big.” The driver said. “The jeep’s toast.”

“What do we do then?” One of the soldiers asked.

“We could all try to pile into my truck, it’ll be a squeeze though.” Carmen said.

“It looks like our only option.” Bud said.

“Uhh… Guys.” Carmen heard a soldier behind her mumble. She slowly turned around to face him, noting his hands were raised, his weapon dropped. Her eyes widened as she noted the group of five standing in the tree line. Each wore a black uniform, black helmet, gloves, boots, mask over their face, and a ballistic vest with the word ‘SWAT’ on it in big lettering.

The one in the lead lifted his hands, showing he wasn’t armed. He took one step forwards and stopped.

“We don’t mean any harm.” He said. “The trap wasn’t meant to catch you guys. We’ve seen Network supply convoys running through this area and just thought we might be able to stop one.”

“You’re SWAT?” Bud asked.

“We were.” The officer replied. “You know, before the war. Now we’re just trained guerrillas.”

“I know the feeling.” Bud said. “Listen, you killed out car.”

“Sorry about that.” He responded. “But there’s not much we can do.”

“That’s not good enough.” Bud said. “We need to get out of here, now.” The officer shook his head once more.

“We can’t help you.” He said. “We have no vehicles. Our truck’s busted.”

“What’s wrong with your truck?” Carmen asked.

“Well, to be honest, if we knew what was wrong with it we wouldn’t still be here.” He said.

“Abigail.” Bud whispered. “What are you thinking?” He asked.

“I’m thinking that if we can get an armored truck running, we could just roll on to Salt Lake and not even have to worry about getting shot at.” Carmen responded.

“Do you trust these guys?” Bud asked. “I sure as hell don’t trust anyone that blows the tire out of my jeep and then claims to be a good guy.” Carmen narrowed her eyes at the officers in front of her.

“Where’s your truck at right now?” She asked.

“We hid it in a clearing to keep it out of sight from the road.” He responded. “It may not run, but it sure as hell would attract attention.”

“Makes sense.” Carmen mumbled.

“I don’t know.” Bud said back to her, “I still don’t like this. They have us out gunned.”

“But we still have more people.” Carmen said.

“Numbers don’t always matter.” Bud said. “This could be a trap.”

Choice

[Offer to try and fix the truck]

[Leave]

• edited May 2016

[Offer to try and fix the truck]

It is risky. Not only because of what the officer said, about it attracting attention, but also because I am not sure if I can trust these alleged SWAT people. They could be anyone, from genuine officers, to former officers turned bandits, to some crazy gang, to part of a Network deathtrap. However, the one thing that made me take this choice is the alternative. If they leave, I guess they would follow Banshee's plan, which is straight out suicide for Carmen. If they turn her in to the Network, there is no way she could free herself. Getting in there with an armed truck is basically the only way their plan has a chance to succeed. It's a bit like in Katie's part. It is a risk, but it is a risk worth taking. Speaking about, the lack of a PoV for her in this part makes me highly nervous, considering that she is about to undergo a mission that might potentially be even worse than Carmen's D: But back to the topic, this might be Carmen's best and only true chance of taking down the Network in Salt Lake City. She still needs a lot of luck, because one armoured truck won't be enough, but it is a start. Loosing Salt Lake City might severely weaken the entire Network, it sounds like a key location for them.

Carmen Dominguez “Take the exit, head for Henderson.” Carmen said. “We’ll pick up from there.” “On it.” Glaz said as the truck lurched

• [Offer to try and fix the truck]

I dont like either option. Fixing the truck is a big risk but leaving and going with the original plan sounds way more risky. I usually like to play it safe in a case like this but this time there is no safe option. If this one works then perhaps they dont have to follow the original plan, which is far too dangerous for Carmen.

Carmen Dominguez “Take the exit, head for Henderson.” Carmen said. “We’ll pick up from there.” “On it.” Glaz said as the truck lurched

• Katie Dicanto

Through the scope of her rifle she saw five guards, multiple buildings. Wooden sheds, most likely for housing prisoners. It was obvious this was some sort of prison camp, a barbed wire fence loomed around the perimeter and one guard walked around the fence. She timed him. Five minutes to circle the entire camp.

Two stood at the door to one of the buildings, probably the lodging of the Commanding Officer. The other two wandered seemingly aimlessly through the camp. But there was a pattern to it. One of them searched high, the other low. One fast, one slow. Their work complimented each other’s.

It would’ve been a great plan had they accounted for one thing. Snipers.

Their defenses were geared to keep people in, and to defend from close range. They weren’t expecting snipers.

“How are we going to play this?” Katie asked.

“Take them out one at a time so no one sees the bodies drop. Then we take out the two at the door at the same time.” Samu responded.

“Wait, you’re going to kill them?” Faith asked. Katie sighed, annoyed.

“Yeah.” She answered, already fed up with the kid.

“Couldn’t you just-“

“No.” Katie cut her off before she could even finish the sentence. “We’re killing them. Every one of them.”

“On your mark.” Samu said. Katie rested her cheek against the stock of the rifle, one eye closed. She breathed, in. Out. Slow and steady. The crosshairs met their mark right on the base of the skull belonging to the guard marching a path around the perimeter.

“I’ve got the one on the fence.” Katie said, she waited. Only a brief fraction of a second. The gun kicked back, the scope shook. She could see a splatter of red. Kill shot. No one even turned their heads to look in her direction. The gun was silenced. Her scope searched for her next target, the guard weaving between buildings. The one going slow, taking his time.

“I’ve got the one in lead.” Samu said.

“Copy.” Katie said as she swung her scope, following the unsuspecting man. “Awaiting your shot.” She waited, seconds later she heard Samu’s rifle go off. It kicked back against his shoulder, but he held it steady. It only took Katie a negligible amount of time to pull of her shot, pinning the man’s brains to a wooden wall behind him.

She looked up at the two guarding the door. They hadn’t moved. Hadn’t taken a step. They had no idea.

“I got left.” Katie said.

“Copy.” Samu said. “Fire on three.” Her scope was centered, right between the man’s eyes. Right below the brim of his helmet. He had no idea that in seconds, a nice sized chunk of lead would be sent hurtling through the air right into his head, into his skull, penetrating his brain, possibly passing through the other side.

He had no idea the scale of the game he was playing. He’d suddenly turned from hunter to prey, and had no clue. High in the hills, the hunter lay still, waiting for its next kill.

“One.” Katie spoke.

She saw the guard turn his head, look to his left, then back to his right. He began talking with the guard next to him.

“Two.” Samu slowly whispered. The guard in her scope turned his head, looking directly at her. Right at her. He was staring her down through her scope. He couldn’t know she was here from this far away, could he? Fear. She felt fear.

“Three.” She rushed. She rushed it. She pulled the trigger, her aim was sloppy, her pulse to high. Her shot was off. Instead of a clean kill, one right through the brain, she gave him a sloppy one. A bullet right through the neck. He died quick enough though, so did his friend next to him. Soon enough, both of them were on the ground, the walls painted with their blood.

She could tell Samu was looking at her. She didn’t have to look to know. She rushed the call, payed the price.

“Let’s move in.” Katie muttered. She pushed herself up, keeping low to the ground. She moved like a whisper through the woods, like she wasn’t even there.

She made her way to the front gate, waiting to regroup with Samu. He soon joined her, stacking up behind her. His hand was on her shoulder.

“Go.” He said. She gave to gate a good kick, it hurt her a little, but it gave. She walked through the opening, swinging right, Samu swung left. Clear. Nothing there.

They moved quickly, Samu on the left, her on the right. They took it slow. Slow is fast, fast is deadly. But Fast is stupid and stupid is dead. No need to get themselves killed after they made it this far.

Clear. Body over here. Here’s another. They made their way through camp, one step at a time. The ever-remaining presence of Faith Granger pulling along behind them.

Katie’s hand shot up, motioning for Samu to stop moving. He dropped down to one knee instantly, bringing his rifle up. She waved her hand slightly off to her left, towards a single shack, with two dead guards laying outside.

Samu nodded. There was an open space between here and the building. If there was anyone left standing in this camp, they’d have an easy shot at them while they ran.

The plan was simple. Katie was going to run first, Samu second. Samu was going to cover her, make sure no one was still out there, then she’d cover him.

She nodded. She slung her rifle over her shoulder, she’d run fast if it wasn’t in her hands. Not like it would do much good to her while she was running anyways.

It was like the beginning of an Olympic track meet, or at least it was to her. She took off as fast as she could. Running across the open space. She felt a stinging in her ribs. Not now, damn you.

A crack filled the air. Katie could swear a bee flew right past her ear. She kept running, only halfway. Another crack, the bee skimmed across her thigh. Not a direct hit, just a skim. She fell anyways. One the dirt she looked up, she wasn’t going to give up. She crawled forwards, she wasn’t going to make the kill shot any easier.

She waited, waited some more. The kill shot never came. She felt A hand on her back, pull her to her feet. She turned to face Samu.

“You’re lucky that guy wasn’t any better of a sniper.” Samu said.

“Yeah.” Katie said, leaning against the wooden wall. “Let’s just get this over with.” She unslung her rifle, gripping it tightly. Snipers, not a close range weapon, but better than nothing. Samu took a step back then surged forwards, planting his boot firmly on the shoddy door. It easily splintered, and he rushed in. Katie was right behind him.

“Drop the gun!” Samu yelled before Katie even saw it. In the back of the small cabin a woman stood, holding a revolver leveled at the two of them. She looked firm, not scared. She looked as if this was the kind of engagement she lived for. She let out a small laugh.

“Really? You think this matters?” She asked. “You think they care if we lose a small camp in the woods?”

“No. Not at all.” Katie said as she swung her rifle upwards, holding it at her hip. She pulled the trigger, and watched as the bullet tore through her chest. “But it’ll help me sleep a lot better.”

She stumbled backwards as Katie walked forwards, simply stepping past her. She began tearing through the desk, tearing through files. Looking. Searching. Taking it all in.

Ground lost in Idaho. Stalemate in Kansas. Supplies needed in Washington. Rebel forces squashed in Texas. Lost grounds in Florida. This was more news than she’d heard in a long time. But one caught her eye. A small envelope with the label ‘Dolan Plan’

“What’s that?” Samu asked.

“No idea.” She said as she pulled the envelope open, taking out the papers from within. She scanned over them. Her eyes widening. “Holy shit.” She mumbled.

“What is it?” He asked.

“They’re going to obliterate Ohio.” She said. “They couldn’t defeat the forces camped there, so they’re just going to wipe the place off the map.”

“When?” Samu asked.

“It’s set for operation in three weeks.” She said.

“What do we do with this information?” Samu asked. “We can’t just keep this to ourselves, can we?” He asked.

Choice

[Share the information]

[Hide the truth]

Lucia Martinez

“You’re mad, aren’t you?” Lucia asked as they walked through the woods. They were getting close. They had to be. Amira hadn’t said a word since they left. Torsten was just being Torsten.

“No.” Amira spoke. “I’m not mad.”

“Then why won’t you talk to me?” Lucia asked.

“Because I’m scared.” She responded.

“Why are you scared?” Lucia asked. “It isn’t you going in there.”

“That’s the exact reason she’s sacred.” Torsten mumbled.

“You’re afraid of losing me?” Lucia asked. “Why?”

“You’re just a kid, Lucia.” She said. “You’ve got your whole life ahead of you, but you stand here willing to throw it all away for someone else’s cause.” She said.

“Maybe it is my cause.” Lucia said. Amira shook her head.

“Every time I meet a new person, all I can see is the infinite ways they’ll end up dead. Ever since I left Israel, all I see is death. Everywhere you go you get caught up in fighting and bureaucratic bullshit.” She said. “Sometimes I wonder what I even fight for.”

“You fight for the good guys.” Lucia said. Amira shook her head.

“This is War, Lucia. There are no good guys. Only your people and those on the other side.” She said. “Just because they fight on the other side doesn’t mean they’re the bad guys.”

“Yeah.” Torsten mumbled. “Believe that while you still can.” Amira pointed to her left, through the trees Lucia could see it through the thick foliage. Down a steep hill and across a road, a large compound sat.

“That’s where we’re headed.” Amira said. “Inside there’s everything we’ve been looking for. All in one place.”

“No pressure or anything.” Lucia mumbled. Just as she said that, Amira suddenly spun around without warning, lifting her gun.

“Drop the gun and maybe I won’t kill you.” She growled. Lucia turned and looked. She saw, not far off, a woman stood. She held a pistol in her hands, aiming it right at Amira.

“Give me Lucia back and maybe I won’t kill you.” She responded. She sounded familiar. She looked familiar. She was…

“Cassie Roxanna.” Lucia muttered to herself. She stepped forwards between Cassia and Amira, her hands raised.

“Get out of the way.” Amira said.

“Guys, calm down.” Lucia said. “Cassie is a friend.” She explained.

“Wait.” Cassie said, sounding confused. “You’re with these people?” Lucia nodded.

“They saved me.” Lucia said.

“I’ve been looking for you for days.” Cassie said. “After you disappeared, I thought you were in trouble. I tracked you here… All this time, I thought you were in danger.” She said she uneasily lowered her gun. Amira was more hesitant, but did the same. She was protective of her people, not a killer at heart.

“No, these are my friends.” Lucia said.

“So, uh… What’s with the giant compound over there?” Cassie asked.

“We’re here to destroy it.” Lucia said.

“It’s being used as a research facility by the Network, anything that could be used against people. It’s being manufactured right there. Bio weapons. Mutations. You name it.” She said.

“And what’s the plan?” Cassie asked.

“Not a good one in any way, shape, or form.” Amira muttered.

“What does that mean?” Cassie asked.

“The kid’s volunteered to go in and scope it out.” Torsten said.

“You’ve got to be mad.” Cassie said.

“He’s right.” Lucia said. “It’s my choice.”

“You don’t have to, you know.” Amira said. “It’s not too late to back out.”

“I’ve made up my mind.” Lucia said. “Now or never.” She could see the saddened look in Amira’s eyes. She nearly felt bad, nearly.

“I’ll be right here the entire time.” Amira said. “if anything goes wrong, I’ll come find you. That’s a promise.” Lucia reached out and shook her hand. “Good luck in there.”

“Good luck out here.” Lucia said. “Cassie isn’t the easiest person to get along with.”

“People say the same thing about me.” Amira said. “And Torsten.”

“Wonder why?” Lucia joked as she turned from them, and began walking down the steep hill towards the road.

• [Share the information]

Phew, that went better than expected, a lot better, even if it was still far from flawless. Thank god for Samu, he was a lifesaver in this part! And I must say, it was totally badass how he and Katie took out the entire camp. Katie's physical condition has improved more than I thought, she seems to be on a good way back to her old self, at least in a physical sense and she's already kicking plenty of ass despite the limits she still has to face. Mentally... well, there's still a girl they have to save and I can imagine that this will make her feel a lot better about herself. It may not erase the survivor guilt she feels, but it might make it easier to live with. Now for the choice, the information they found sounds far too important to not share it with the other rebels. All by themselves, Katie and Samu can do nothing to stop this Dolan plan, they need reinforcements for that. Aside from that, I also still remember that Ohio is going to be important for Katie. After all, it is the heart of it all and in her mysterious dream a long while ago, she was urged to go there, to find some sort of answer, even though I'm still not sure what the question is, or where these dreams come from.

Katie Dicanto Through the scope of her rifle she saw five guards, multiple buildings. Wooden sheds, most likely for housing prisoners. It

• [Share the information]

I agree with what Liquid said, this information is too important not to share. They are not the leaders of the rebellion and they dont have the chance to prevent this on their own. Also Ohio got mentioned again. I have the feeling something important is going on there.

Katie Dicanto Through the scope of her rifle she saw five guards, multiple buildings. Wooden sheds, most likely for housing prisoners. It

• Lucia Martinez

Her heart raced, not with fear or excitement. At this point, her heart raced with anger. She was becoming light-headed from there age boiling in her stomach and became fearful that it was going to boil over.

She walked up to the front gate, her hands high above her head. They didn’t shoot her, which was a small miracle in itself.

She dropped her rifle at her feet, they came and kicked it away. They quickly began barraging her with questions.

“Who are you? What are you doing here? Are there any more of you?” The list went on and on, but Lucia answered them calmly. Each on a different lie.

“No, I’m alone. I got separated from my group a while back, just ended up stumbling across this place.” At this point she was still confident. She knew that Amira, Torsten and Cassie were all watching her. She knew that at the first sight of something going bad, all she had to do was hit the dirt and wait for bullets to fill the air.

She was calm and collected until what came next. Weapons check. He was professional about it in every way, or at least as professional as a soldier of the Network can possibly be. But for some reason, it just made her angry that this man she didn’t know thought he had the right to touch her.

Trying to keep herself from lashing out, all she could do was hold her breath and look at the concrete wall. She bit down hard on her lip, trying not to let her fist collide with this guy’s face.

He stood back up, having to look down to meet Lucia’s eyes.

“How’d someone like you make it all the way out here alone?” He asked, as he picked up her rifle off the ground.

“I’m tougher than I look.” Lucia growled, still trying to collect her nerves.

“Are you willing to work?” He asked, Lucia was now becoming irritated at the fact that this man kept asking her questions after she’d already answered all his earlier ones.

“Yes.” She responded.

“Well, we’ve got a clean bed and a warm meal waiting for you then. Hammond can take you inside, Greene will assign you to a workspace.” He said.

“That will work.” Lucia grumbled. The second guard that stood nearby placed his callused hand on her shoulder and she instantly tensed up. She didn’t know what it was about these people, but they just made her on edge.

He guided her through the main gate towards a set of large glass doors that slid out of the way as she walked up to them. They walked into what must’ve been a lobby, a nice one. Warm wood furnishings, marble floors and a kind-looking lady sitting behind the reception desk.

She had choppy dirty-blonde hair that fell to her shoulders. Pale blue eyes hidden behind a pair of thick-framed glasses. She wore an entire black suit with a purple tie, though she looked extremely uncomfortable in it as she kept pulling at the collar. She sat typing at a computer absentmindedly.

“Greene.” The man guiding Lucia spoke. Her head instantly shot up, as she looked at the man. Lucia could see dark rings circling her eyes. She also saw fear in her eyes.

“Yes sir?” She asked. He glared at her for a moment before continuing.

“We’ve got us a new recruit, get her to work.” He said, releasing his grip on Lucia as he began walking away. Lucia looked at her as she looked back. After a moment of silence Lucia spoke up.

“I’m guessing just by the way you act you’re not part of the Network.” Lucia said.

“And I’m guessing by how tense you are right now you don’t like people touching you.” Greene shot back. “And I’m also guessing, just by that look in your eye, you’re not actually here to work.” Lucia’s eyes widened. She hadn’t been here more than a minute and she’d already been found. But she just heard Greene laugh. “Don’t worry, I’m not here to work either.”

“Then what are you doing?” Lucia asked, watching her hands glide across a keyboard. She smiled.

“I’m messing with the lab data so they can’t get accurate results.” She said. Lucia couldn’t help but to smile. “They’ve been running the same test for weeks and just can’t figure out what’s wrong.”

“So you’re just changing all the data from here in the lobby?” She asked Greene nodded.

“Everything in the entire compound is run through the same system, all I had to do was get this computer to access it.” She said.

“And no one’s noticed?” She asked. Greene shook her head.

“It’s not like the people here are expert counter-hackers or anything.” She said. “That and this place’s security sucks. A two year old could hack it.”

“Good to know.” Lucia said. Greene paused for a moment, her gaze going back and forth from the screen to Lucia.

“I assume you want to be stationed with Doctor Spencer?” She asked. Lucia nodded.

“How’d you know?” Lucia asked.

“I’m the one that helped her get that radio signal out. People don’t just wonder in here, so I’m guessing you heard the broadcast.” She asked.

“Yeah.” Lucia responded.

“How good are you with directions?” She asked.

“I suck.” Lucia responded. “And since you never asked, my name is Lucia.”

“Good, that gives me a reason to get the hell away from this desk.” She said, brushing past Lucia’s introduction. She pushed herself up from the chair she sat in. “I can’t wait to get out of this monkey suit they’re making me wear.” She muttered.

“Why are they making you wear a suit?” Lucia asked.

“Because they know I don’t like wearing suits.” She said, then sighed. “I’m not exactly a model-employee here. I’ve had more than my share of altercations with the men in charge. I’m more or less on probation right now.”

“Good.” Lucia said.

“Why’s that?” Greene responded.

“I don’t like people that follow the rules.” Lucia said. Greene smiled a little as she walked beside Lucia directing her through the winding halls of the compound. “You’ve got to have a first name, don’t you?” Lucia eventually asked. She shrugged.

“I do. Nobody uses it though, I just got used to being called by the name I wish I could get rid of.” She sighed.

“Why do you hate your last name?” She asked. Lucia saw her looking at her through the corner of her eye.

“I don’t hate my name.” She explained. “I hate the people it belonged to.”

“Your parents?” Lucia asked.

“They may have been my mother and father, but they were in no way my family.” She said.

“Why do you say that?” Lucia asked, the look Greene was giving her told Lucia that she was treading on thin ice.

“My father was a nut-job driven mad by the idea that he could do something to change the world.” She began.

“So he joined the Network?” Lucia asked. She shook her head.

“Worse. He was a mercenary working at Stryker. My mother hated him for it, they fought a lot and I got caught in the middle of it. Then one day ‘daddy’ just didn’t come home, got a letter in the mail he went MIA in the Middle East.” She said.

“Sorry to hear that.” Lucia said.

“I’m not. He got what he deserved.” She responded. “But that isn’t even half of it.”

“What do you mean?” Lucia asked.

“My mother didn’t realize how big the check my father was bringing home actually was. We lost everything because she refused to get a job, and to make it worse she was addicted to heroin.” She said.

“Wow…” Lucia muttered, trying to find words to say.

“Just imagine a ten year old girl out in the desert sun all day working for a couple of bucks just so she could bring it home so her mother could steal it, no matter where she hid it, and go buy drugs instead of food. And then go sleep on the floor using a torn-up jacket as a blanket.” She went on, then looked at Lucia. “I was only fourteen when I ran away from that place and never went back. I just went east, ended up here when the Network attacked.” Lucia looked straight ahead, seeing a sealed up ahead.

“How old are you now?” Lucia asked.

“I’m 27.” She said.

“What did you do with all that time between then and now?” Lucia asked. Greene leaned against the wall, her hand resting against a well-worn dial pad. She sighed.

“I did the same thing I’ve always done.” She said.

“And what’s that?” Lucia asked. Greene looked at her, her pail eyes now full of pain as they swelled with tears that she quickly forced back though her eyes continued to look glassy even as she spoke.

“I did what I had to do to survive.” She said as her fingers sailed across the number pad, moments later the door slid open. Lucia stood still, looking in at the white-walled lab within. It seemed empty.

“I thought you said you were taking me to Jordan.” Lucia said.

“I am.” Greene responded. “The lab is a lot bigger than it looks, she’ll be in an isolation room over on the right. Just go in, you’ll see her.”

“Why won’t you go in with me?” Lucia asked. She sighed, her fingers picking at a button on her suit.

“You really want to know why I won’t go in there?” She asked. Lucia nodded.

“Kind of.” She said. Greene’s finger nimbly unbuttoned the jacket, as she handed it over to Lucia.

“Hold that for a second.” She said, then turned around, facing away from Lucia. A few moments later she unbuttoned her white shirt underneath and took it off, showing the skin on her back to Lucia. Her eyes widened. The skin across her entire back was burnt, red, puffy. And in some places it looked like she’d been deeply cut into.

“W-what happened?” Lucia stuttered, she though back to Torsten. How he said his group had been torched in the woods, but this was much worse. Before answering, Green buttoned her shirt back up and straitened her tie, facing Lucia.

“I was working in the lab, running computer diagnostics, fixing some damaged wiring. Doctor Jordan was running tests with white phosphorus. I didn’t realize that my soldering torch was still on, I was just standing there talking with her and then all of the sudden the lab explodes into flames. Jordan was lucky, she was wearing a fire suit. I just went up in smoke.” She said. “And when I finally woke up almost two days later, instead of being happy that I was still alive they blamed the fire on me, took me out back, tied me to a post and gave me twenty lashings… So yeah, I’m kind of afraid to go back in there. So sue me. Send Jordan my regards.” At this point she sounded nearly outright angry, not at Lucia but she just sounded angry.

She grabbed her black jacket from Lucia, throwing it back over her shoulders. She motioned for Lucia to walk through the door. Lucia sighed, she didn’t want to walk into some room she had no idea what was in there.

“I really don’t have a choice but to go in there, do I?” She asked. Greene shook her head.

“Not really.” She said.

“I swear if you’re lying to me and this is some sort of trap, I will hunt you down and slit your fucking throat.” Lucia said. Greene nodded.

“Go right ahead.” She said. Lucia sighed, stepping forwards past the door. Lucia stopped right on the other side of the door, she realized she just walked into some sort of decontamination room. “Hey, Lucia.” Greene called from outside. Lucia turned to look.

“Yeah?” She asked.

“My name’s Alice by the way.” She said. “Good luck in there.” Just as she said that, Lucia watched as the door slid shut behind her locking her in.

Carmen Dominguez

Carmen had trusted them, which was possibly her first mistake. Then she told them she’d fix their car, possibly her second mistake.

Now, hovering over the engine of an armored van, she realized her minimalistic experience with cars really wasn’t helping out here.

“So, you have no clue what’s wrong with this thing?” Carmen asked the captain, who she’d figured out his name was Gregory Sparks. The rest of the team had gone to secure the perimeter, while Bud’s people had opted to stay back at the jeep.

“Not a single idea.” He said. Carmen sighed, leaning against the hood as she gazed into the beast before her. Then something popped into her head, she’d checked every part, every piece, everything. She’d checked everything except the most obvious part about it. The battery.

The large black box sat nestled within the components of the engine, making it nearly impossible to reach.

“Give those keys a turn.” Carmen said. He complied and twisted the keys. Nothing happened. “Did any of the lights come on in the dash board?” She asked. There was a moment of silence.

“No.” He responded.

“Your battery is dead.” She responded.

“What? You’ve got to be kidding me. We’ve been sitting here in the open for days over a battery?” He asked, jumping out of the truck.

“My thoughts exactly.” She sighed.

“What are we going to do about it?” He asked. Carmen shrugged.

“Do you have an officer you can spare?” she asked. Greg looked around for a moment, the yelled into the trees.

“Riviera! Fall in!” He yelled. Carmen heard a rustle in the woods and saw two people emerge, a man and a woman. Greg looked at the woman and sighed.

“No you, get back to the perimeter.” He said.

“Yes sir.” She responded as she quickly ran off again, disappearing as quickly as she came.

“I keep forgetting you two have the same last name.” Greg said.

“We’ve only been married for what… Eight years now?” The man laughed.

“Someday I’ll get it right.” Greg said.

“Yeah, like when you finally roll over in your grave.” He said.

“Not going to happen Jason.” Greg said.

“Why’s that, Sarge?” He asked.

“If I’m dead I can’t be a pain in your ass.” Greg responded.

“We’ll see about that.” Jason said. “What did you want me for?” He asked, Greg nodded to Carmen.

“Abigail here needs some assistance in getting our truck running again.” He said.

“What do you need me to do?” He asked.

“I need you to come with me.” She said.

“Is that it?” He asked. She shrugged.

“You can carry the battery back.” She said.

“Fair enough. Let’s go.” He said as he began walking. Carmen stuck her hand out, stopping him.

“You have a gun right?” She asked. He motioned to the pistol strapped to his leg and repositioned the rifle on his shoulder.

“Yeah.” He said. “Why’s that an issue?” He asked.

“I just want to know that if this goes the wrong way, I’ll have the fire power on my side.” She said.

“Who exactly are you planning on taking this battery from?” He asked.

“The military.” She responded as she began walking. Jason stood confused for a moment before he followed her.

“You know, my wife will kill you if you get me killed.” He said.

“Let’s just focus on not opening fire then.” She said as she trudged through the tall grass towards the road. Once she reached the road, she didn’t stop to talk to Bud, she just walked over to the jeep, throwing the hood open.

“Hey, what do you think you’re doing?” He asked. She disconnected the battery and lifted it out of the jeep.

“I need this to get the van running.” She said.

“Like hell you do, that belongs to me.” He snapped.

“Dude, the jeep’s busted. You really think keeping a battery in the damn thing’s going to solve anything?” Jason asked him. Bud turned to him, a glare in his eye.

“I don’t know if you understand what I’m saying, but I’ll pretend you have a big enough vocabulary. I’m part of the US military, and the battery belongs to me.” Bud said.

“I think that if you’re going to be stupid about it, we should just confiscate that battery so it belongs to the police.” Jason said.

“Doesn’t work like that, boy.” Bud growled, inching closer to Jason. Jason quickly pushed him back, then lifted his gun. Simultaneously Bud’s people had their weapons drawn, aiming them on Jason. Jason didn’t back down. He didn’t flinch as he heard the sound of a high-powered rifle ring out and a bullet bit into the dirt inches from one of Bud’s soldier’s feet.

“The next one isn’t going to miss.” He said starkly. Bud quickly grabbed Jason’s weapon, shoving it out of the way as he got him in a headlock, a pistol to his head. Carmen sighed, she’d expected this. Actually, to be honest, this was going better than she planned. Nobody was dead yet. She could feel the tension of the standoff boiling, soon enough someone would be dead. Then everyone would be dead. Rules of a gunfight, there are no winners of a quick draw.

“There isn’t enough room for all of us.” She said.

“What did you say?” Bud asked, shooting a look in her direction.

“I said we’re not all going to be able to fit in that van.” Carmen said. She could heard Bud growling.

“Then pick up your damn gun and kill these fucks so we can take that van and get the hell out of here.” Bud said.

“Don’t listen to him Carmen.” Jason said. “We don’t want a fight, we can work through this peacefully and find a solution that works without bloodshed.” Bud laughed.

“Don’t try to play crisis negotiator with me, I’m the one in charge here.” Bud said.

“Or you know, we could just all open fire across a field and whoever lives gets on the van.” Jason said. “Sounds like a sound plan to me-“

“Shut the fuck up.” Bud snapped at him. “Carmen. Gun. Now.” He barked.

Choice

[Fight for Bud]

[Fight for the SWAT]

[Remain neutral]

• edited June 2016

[Remain neutral]

Alright, now I have to say that I'm glad there is the option to remain neutral. Fighting for either side here is far too risky in my opinion, as it is impossible to say who is stronger and who will survive in the end. It's entirely possible neither of them are going to make it, which is sort of a classical outcome in a mexican standoff. If Carmen is going to pick a side, the other one will undoubtedly open fire on her as well, whereas if she remains neutral, she is far less likely to be actively targeted by anyone. Of course, she can always be hit in the crossfire, so I'd say it will be for the best if she lies low on the ground and tries to stay alive. If there will be any survivor, then she can make a new deal with him. If there will be no survivor, then she can always claim the thing for herself. In terms of sympathy, I'm rooting for Jason, who was far less of a dick than Bud here, but I'm thinking Bud has the slightly better chance of actually winning, even if his own chance of surviving is rather low. Anyways, amazing part! It's been far too long without an update, I was genuinely missing this great story, so I'm very happy it's back :) Also, can you give me recap, has it been explained what exactly the Network is trying to do in that facility Lucia just infiltrated?

Lucia Martinez Her heart raced, not with fear or excitement. At this point, her heart raced with anger. She was becoming light-headed fro

• Also, can you give me recap, has it been explained what exactly the Network is trying to do in that facility Lucia just infiltrated?

Well, they've been researching bio-weapons and kind of working on controlling the minds of animals. Remember that crazed wolf that attacked Lucia in the woods?

Anyways, amazing part! It's been far too long without an update, I was genuinely missing this great story, so I'm very happy it's back

Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't actually realize how long it'd been since I posted. It usually takes me longer to post parts for this one because I haven't actually thought as far ahead on this one as I have others and it takes a lot more thought to do. I still love every moment of begin here though.

[Remain neutral] Alright, now I have to say that I'm glad there is the option to remain neutral. Fighting for either side here is far too

• Welcome back! Such a cool part, I look forward for more :)

[Remain neutral]

This is a very hard choice. It is impossible to say who the good and who the bad guy is in this, so I think remaining neutral can be a good way to stay alive. If she doesnt attack anyone, no one will attack her, right?

Lucia Martinez Her heart raced, not with fear or excitement. At this point, her heart raced with anger. She was becoming light-headed fro

• Katie Dicanto

“We have to tell someone about it, one way or another.” She said.

“But who?” Samu asked. She shook her head.

“Anyone you trust?” She asked.

“Not a single one.” He answered. She sighed, she knew she couldn’t keep this to themselves, but she also knew they couldn’t just give it to anyone. If it goes to the wrong person, the information never gets where it needs to be.

“I guess the means exactly what I don’t want it to mean.” She muttered.

“And that would be?” He asked.

“Road trip.” She responded. He sighed.

“I’ve been from the west coast to the east coast, and now I’m going to the mid-west?” He asked. She shrugged.

“It’s not like anyone’s forcing you to come with me.” She said. He laughed.

“Are you kidding me? I’d give anything to get out of New York.” He said.

“But there’s still one thing wrong.” Katie said.

“What’s that?” He asked.

“Trey.” She said. “He’s the only one that can stop that superweapon.” She said. Samu was quiet for a moment as they stood.

“That brings up a big impasse doesn’t it?” He asked.

“What do you mean?” She asked.

“Ohio or California?” He asked. “We can’t be in two places at once.”

“Damn.” Katie muttered, mad at herself for not noticing that until now.

“Let’s just finish up here. We can figure this out later.” Samu suggested. “We still have to get these people to safety.”

“Okay. Let’s get on that.” She said, shoving the letter into her pocket. The two left for the door, outside they were greeted by a multitude of people who seemed to have been able to free themselves from their make-shift prisons. Seeing this many people made Katie instantly nervous, her hands refusing to leave her rifle.

She saw a teenage girl approaching her, tan skin, brown hair brown eyes. Everything within Katie screamed at her to shoot, but for some reason she didn’t. She stopped just feet away. She looked over Samu and Katie for a moment before speaking, Katie could tell that she was visibly shaken. She could also tell that she wasn’t from around here.

“Thank you for helping us, but there is one thing I need to ask of you.” She said.

“Yeah?” Samu asked. “What is it?”

“My friend, he’s been locked in a cell. We can’t break the lock. I was thinking maybe you could try?” She asked them, Samu shrugged.

“Couldn’t hurt to try.” He said. Katie sighed, not wanting to stay here any longer than needed. “Show us.” So they followed her, through the prison camp until the stopped in front of a large wooden door, locked up tight. Many people were pulling against it, but accomplishing nothing. “Let me look at it.” Samu said as he stepped up to it. Everyone stepped away as he looked at it, scrutinizing the lock. After a moment he stepped back and looked at the girl.

“Can you do it?” She asked. He shrugged.

“Possibly, but it’s going to be hard. It’s a tight lock and the door’s pretty strong. The best bet we have is going to be breaking the thing off its hinges.” He said.

“How long would that take?” She asked.

“Maybe an hour or more.” He responded. Katie grumbled unhappily, lifting her rifle towards the door and firing off a single shot. Samu jumped and turned towards her. “The hell was that?” He asked. She stepped towards the door, pulling it open as the lock was now broken.

“It’s open.” She grumbled. Inside she saw a boy, short brown hair, red shirt, leather jacket, dark grey jeans.

“Took you long enough.” He mumbled.

“Who the hell are you?” She asked. He stood up off the ground, walking towards her.

“Dillon.” He said. “I was hiding in Mexico before the damn resistance dragged me back in because they had a ‘master plan’ to defeat the Network once and for all. Their plan was shit, so we all died. They took me and Maya prisoner, transferred us here. And what would your name be?” He asked.

“Katie Dicanto.” She said.

“Small world.” He laughed as he brushed past her. Katie stepped back, looking at Samu.

“That’s done, can we please get on with stopping the entire west coast from becoming a sand bar?” She asked. He shrugged.

“I thought that’s already what it was.” He said.

The walk back to camp was awkward enough, nobody knew what to say or what to do. They just shambled down the road like a flock of sheep being led by a shepherd. But in this case it was more like the blind leading the blind.

Hero, they called her. Funny how she didn’t feel like one. Somewhere inside her, she felt as if she’d accomplished nothing. Something told her she just set these people free to die another day. She was like Moses’s evil twin, leading people from slavery straight to their inevitable death.

Faith had found her sister in all the mess, luckily enough. So that was one thing accomplished. At least the two of them could die together now.

The greeting from the camp wasn’t very welcoming either.

“Who are all these people?” They’d asked, stopping them on the outskirts. Katie had listened as Samu retold the story of the woodland prison and how they killed them all, carefully leaving out the fact that they found some very important information along the way. They shook their heads. “Tell them to go somewhere else, we don’t have room for them here.”

“We can’t do that, they have nowhere to go.” Samu said.

“They’ll just have to find somewhere.” They said.

“They’re already half starved, some of them are sick.” Samu said.

“All the more reason to let them go.” They said. “People are just a drain on our resources, get them out of here before we have to make them.”

“You’re not making them go anywhere. This is their home as much as it is yours.” Katie jumped in. They glared at her.

“Look, if I wanted input from an uneducated bitch I would’ve asked you. Now back off.” They snapped. That was more than enough reason to justify what she did next. One moment, he stood there smugly like he’d won. The next moment, he had the stock of Katie’s rifle colliding with his face.

He staggered backwards, momentarily caught off guard. Katie launched herself forwards, tackling him to the ground. She was on top of him, her fists sailing through the air and colliding with his face repeatedly.

She would’ve kept going, had it not been for whoever it was behind her that hit her in the back of the head, causing her to black out.

She woke up in the medical tent, a throbbing in her head and a bandage covering a gash in her flesh. She grumbled as she sat up, seeing Trey next to her and Samu next to him.

“Who hit me?” She growled.

“That would be me.” Samu answered. She glared at him, opting not to say anything however.

“So, you did what I asked you to do. And then you fucked us over.” Trey said. “The deal was getting medicine, not more people.”

“A deal’s a deal.” Katie said.

“You think so?” He asked. Katie reached for her gun, then came to painful reality that it was missing.

“Yeah, I think so.” She said. “Or, you know. We could stick around a little longer. I’m pretty sure I can find more people in need of a home out there in those woods.” She said.

“You wouldn’t.” He said.

“Try me.” She snapped. Trey grumbled unhappily as his hand dug into his pocket, bringing out a small flash drive.

“That’s it?” Samu asked.

“Now all that’s left is to get this thing to California.” Katie said as she stood up, dizziness filling her body though she pushed past it.

“But we also have to get to Ohio.” Samu said.

“We can stop there on the way.” Katie said.

“Might not be a good idea.” Trey said.

“Why’s that?” Katie asked.

“If the Network has access to the weapon, they’ve more than likely already armed it. We’re on a clock here, probably under 48 hours. If stop in Ohio, there’ll be no time to get to California.” Trey said.

“Unless we spilt up.” Samu said.

“Which is also a bad idea.” Katie said. “We’re vulnerable if we go alone. We need more people.”

“Speak of the devil.” A new voice butted in, Katie turned to look, seeing Dillon and Maya walk in the room. “I just happened to hear something about the fate of the world resting in someone’s hands, and no offence, but I’d rather it be mine.”

“Get out of here, kid.” Katie said. Dillon shrugged.

“I was part of the resistance, you know. I know my way around. I could easily slip into Ohio, while you two get to California.” He said.

“We’ve already said it was too dangerous to go alone. If you’re out there alone and die, that information will die with you.” Katie said. Dillon seemed to ponder this for a moment, before reaching over and grabbing Maya’s arm, more or less literally pulling her into the conversation.

“I’m not going alone.” He said.

“I guess I just got recruited?” Maya asked.

“Wait, you really think I’m going to trust some kids with the fate of Ohio?” Katie asked.
    “Katie, think about it.” Samu said. “You said it yourself, we can’t be in two places at once. We can’t split up, and both of these things need to get done ASAP. Dillon and Maya are capable, in their own ways, they can do this.”

Choice

[Send Dillon to Ohio]

[Refuse to let Dillon help]

• [Send Dillon to Ohio]

Dillon! Glad to see he is back. We already know he is capable, so it's not as if he is some random kid. Besides, Samu brought up a pretty good argument. They have to deal with both things and if they don't want to split up, which I don't want because of how otp-eable they are, they have to rely on the help of others. With Dillon, we at least know he has a good heart and is trustworthy, so he's a good candidate to be sent to Ohio. The only thing that made me even hesitate to pick this choice is Katie's dream. Sooner or later, she is bound to travel to Ohio, to learn about some sort of answer. Though for now, it seems smarter to allow Dillon to help, as her priority should be the stuff happening at California.

Katie Dicanto “We have to tell someone about it, one way or another.” She said. “But who?” Samu asked. She shook her head. “Anyone

• [Send Dillon to Ohio]

So that is where Dillon has been! I was already wondering what happened to him XD Samu is right, they have two tasks to do and if they dont want to split up, they have to get help. Dillon can be trusted and sounds like a good choice, since I also dont want to split up Katie and Samu now.

Katie Dicanto “We have to tell someone about it, one way or another.” She said. “But who?” Samu asked. She shook her head. “Anyone

• Carmen Dominguez

She lay on the ground, the smell of gunpowder still quite tangible in the air. Blood soaked through the sleeve of her shirt, though she felt no pain. She dared not move, just staring at the sky high above.

She dared not the think, as the very thought of what just happened would already be lodged permanently within the archives of her mind.

She saw a man appear, hovering above her like a tower blocking the sun. He was muscular, his body covered in a camouflaged fatigue. His face covered by a black gas mask, though he peered at her through the two ports in the mask.

His gloved hand reached out towards her, offering her help.

“What happened here?” He asked.

“Carmen! Gun, now!” Bud had demanded of her. Her eyes were wide, the world moving in slow motion as if it was all filmed on an old camera from the 70’s.

Out in the woods sat a small army, here in front of her sat a small army. One pull of the trigger and bullets would fill the air, anything caught in the crosshairs would be dead.

She felt something new, no. Not new, something she knew well but hadn’t felt in a long time. The feeling you get when the wind dies down, the dust settles and you finally get a look at the monster you’ve been fighting.

Fear. She felt fear. It began coursing through her veins, eating away at her as she stood unmoving like a statue. It was a weird thought, thinking of herself as a statue.

Nobody would erect a statue of her once she was gone, they’d burn her in effigy for what she’s done. If only her true goals would be realized by those who had no ears to listen, no heart to feel.

She saw Bud’s people moving into position as if about to engage a dangerous enemy, and they were. But it was funny. She didn’t think of either one of them as an enemy. They were both ready to support her mission.

Maybe there were no bad guys, maybe they were all bad guys. Maybe she was the only bad person here, since she was the one that dragged everyone into this mess inadvertently. Bud was halfway through another scream, telling Carmen to grab her gun before she answered.

“N-no.” She said, taking a step back from the action. She raised her hands, stating she wouldn’t be part of this bloodbath. Up the road she could still see her friends hanging around the truck, however as Carmen refused to raise her gun, they seemed more hesitant to join the fight.

“What are you doing? That was an order!” Bud had screamed, snapping his attention in her direction. It was only half a second afterwards that his left knee exploded into a fountain of bone fragment and blood.

He let go of Jason, falling backwards onto the pavement. Bud’s men instantly opened fire on the tree line, wildly firing into the horizon. Jason was barely able to make a few steps before he was shot in the back of the head. He fell against the pavement, staring out into the trees.

“Carmen, over here!” A voice yelled. Carmen looked over and saw Ann motioning her to join them hunkered down behind the truck. She was running, as fast as she could.

She didn’t know who shot her, whether it be the SWAT or the army. She felt the bullet tear its way through her flesh into her arm. She tripped, falling onto the blacktop.

“No!” Ann yelled, though it wasn’t directed towards Carmen. She looked up and saw the younger Ann rushing towards her, straight into open fire. The other Ann quickly began rushing after her, trying to get ahold of the young girl.

“Go back!” Carmen tried to yell, hard to be heard over the sound of world war three behind her. She’d barely blinked. Just one tenth of a second, but it was like the entire world changed in that time.

The bullet came out of nowhere, probably just a stray one not even aimed towards her. It glanced right over young Ann’s shoulder, sailed through the air, pinning a red dot on the older Ann’s chest. It was high caliber, probably a sniper. She was blown back off her feet, landing against the pavement with a spurt of blood from her mouth.

Ann froze, her eyes wide. She knew what happened, she spun on her heel, facing the body off her older namesake. Her beautiful red-brown hair was still mid-spin trying to catch up with her as a tracer found its way to the center of her spine. Her chest exploded as the bullet exited her body, flying off into the distance. Her small hands shot up in surprise as she collapsed, just feet away from Ann. Her body was convulsing, either from pain or just death. She couldn’t tell anymore.

By this time, both Glaz and Banshee had pulled up their weapons, firing on anything that lived, or once lived. Carmen saw young Elias huddle against the wheel, as bullets dinged off the frame. He fired his pistol randomly towards anything before ducking back, under cover once more.

Thomas as of now was nowhere to be seen, either he was smart and got out of here before shit hit the fan, or his corpse was among the dead. She began crawling forwards, staying low to the ground, staying out of the fire. Dragging herself forwards with her one good arm. Yard from the truck, a blood curdling cry broke her concentration.

She hear it from far off, even in the gunfire. It was an all too familiar sound, Glaz recognized it too. He instantly tensed up as he saw it, recognizing the fact that there was to enough time to get out of the way.

“RPG!” Someone shouted, only moments before the truck burst into flames, being catapulted off the ground by the blast and onto its side, effectively both immolating and pancaking those hiding behind it. Only half a second before the explosion, she’d locked eyes with Glaz. She saw the despair in his eyes, the longing, the sorrow. She saw a broken man in a solid man’s body. She saw it all, the six year old boy on a swing in the park with his parents and friends, the kid in high school up on plate, next to bat. The man marrying his true love, the man watching the world blow up, the man captured by the Network, the man who fought back. Then, she saw it all blown away in an inferno a flames and shrapnel.

Now, defeated, broken, and on a new level of alone. She rolled onto her back, staring at the clouds above her. She listened to the gunfire as if it were a lullaby, gently calling her to the abyss.

She didn’t recall how long it continued, but she did recall hearing a lull in the firing. And along with that came lots of yelling. She heard yelling from the soldiers near her, yelling from the trees. Planning, plotting, occasional firing at a ghost.

Just as the action seemed to be picking up again, she heard the sound of something new, mechanical maybe. Then she heard a big gun. A cannon, possibly. The earth was ripped open, once living people tossed like rag dolls. She herself felt the ground shake from where she lay. She heard the sounds of a .50 firing into the wind, mowing down people as if they were blades of grass.

Then, it was over. With one last earth-rattling blow, it was done. She heard no more gunfire, but she did hear the sound of an engine gasping for air as it pushed forwards. It must’ve been big whatever it was, she didn’t dare look. She heard it slow, then it was idling.

“Keep her running, I’m just going to have a look around.” She heard someone speak. She heard the sound of someone jumping, landing on the pavement. She heard boots scuffing on the ground, someone checking bodies.

She shifted, trying to stay hidden from sight, but all she accomplished was giving away her location. He stopped. “We’ve got a live one!” He shouted, this time she was able to pick up on his accent. English, possibly.

He appeared in her vision, hovering above her. He looked at her, offering her his hand.

“What happened here?” He asked. Carmen just looked at him, unable to form any words. He seemed to have spotted the wound on her arm, as his body language shifted. He retracted his hand, crouching next to her. He picked her up as if she were a baby, some small child. She didn’t trust him, had to trust him. Wanted to fight to get away, wanted to stay. She wanted to give up, she wanted to go. She just didn’t know.

He held her close to his chest, which was covered by a thick ballistics vest. He had a smell to him, gasoline and gunpowder.

“Open the back doors, she’s wounded.” He shouted. Then she saw it, the hulking behemoth of a vehicle they’d driven here. It loomed high over them, took up more than half the road it was parked on, She counted four giant tires positioned on each side of the vehicle plated in armor. On top sat a canon, a machine gun mounted as well. She could hear and nearly feel the low grumble of the engine.

He carried her around the back of the vehicle, where two thick steel doors were already open waiting for him. He climbed inside, sitting her on one of the benches where she lazily leaned back against the wall. A man sitting across from her stood, stepping across and kneeling in front of her. He wasn’t wearing a mask like the man who’d carried her in here, he wore a helmet covering his hair, but his eyes were a soft blue and he had a blonde-ish stubble on his chin.

He looked at her arm, his hands gentle against the wound.

“How’s it looking, Smith?” Asked the one that carried her here. The man tending to her arm looked back at him.

“It’s fixable, but do we want to waste the supplies?” Smith asked. He nodded in return.

“What good is it going to do to save the world if we can’t save the people?” He asked.

“Right.” Smith responded. The one that had carried her quickly closed the two doors which closed with a thud, then turned to the driver and the passenger up front.

“We’re ready. Get us out of here.” He said.

“Where are we headed sir?” The driver asked.

“Just keep going down this road.” He responded.

“Yes sir.” The driver responded. Carmen felt the vehicle lurch forwards moment later, slowly maneuvering its way through the war zone. For some reason, the only thing Carmen could think about was Six, that bastard. What he’d said. He was going to kill her if she broke her agreement with him, it only now occurred to her that he’d planned on killing her either way. He was in it for the glory, and she was a traitor. There’s no greater glory that killing a traitor, someone dedicated to the cause that turned.

Her arm was tended to, bandaged, wrapped, and the wound sewn shut in the silence of the cab. Once he was done, Smith sat back.

“Easy on that arm now, alright?” He asked. Carmen managed a weak nod as she continued staring out the back. Smith shifted forwards, back into his seat on the other side. A moment later the man who’d carried her in appeared next to her. He offered her his hand.

“My name is Thatcher.” He spoke. Carmen looked at him, her eyes scanning him lazily. She saw his hand and wanted to take it, but all she could manage was weakly moving her good arm, her right one, towards his. She just didn’t have anything left in her. She noticed he’d ditched the mask.

He had buzzed brown hair and a thick mustache, kind brown eyes. His eyebrows were thick on his forehead, his lips chapped and breaking. He sighed, retracting his hand. “We’re with the SAS, we’re conducting special operations within the area. But we’ve lost contact with the base, and we’ve run into a snag. We have no clue of where we are or how to get where we’re going, which is why we need you.”

“Just follow this road to Henderson, you’ll be able to figure it out from there.” Carmen mumbled. He nodded.

“At least we know we’re headed the right way.” He said. “Who were those people back there?” He asked. Carmen sighed.

“Desperate people.” She said. “I… I tried to avoid it. Everyone’s dead… Everyone I know.” He nodded, a firm hand planted on her shoulder.

“It’s okay.” He assured her. No, it wasn’t okay. It never was okay, and it never will be okay.

“The man that fixed your arm is Smith, our driver is Carson, the passenger is Abbey.” He said, she nodded. “So, uh. What’s your name?” He asked. She sighed, what was her name? Carmen? Smoke? Abigail? Who was she really? Did it even matter anymore who she told people she was?

Choice

[Tell him the truth]

[Lie]

• [Tell him the truth] Like Carmen said, it doesn't really matter what they call her, but I think it can't hurt to be honest here, to herself the most. She's Carmen, not Smoke or Abigail or whomever else she now comes up with.

And oh man, for some reason I never even considered that the rest of Carmen's group was currently with her during this shootout. That was damn brutal and I think I really felt like Carmen while reading this part D: One question though, we saw Glaz and both Ann's dying, but what happened to Thomas, Elias and Banshee? Seems like Thomas got the hell out of there, or else Carmen would have probably seen him, but Elias and Banshee were there and fought, so I'm quite concerned for them.

Carmen Dominguez She lay on the ground, the smell of gunpowder still quite tangible in the air. Blood soaked through the sleeve of her sh

• One question though, we saw Glaz and both Ann's dying, but what happened to Thomas, Elias and Banshee? Seems like Thomas got the hell out of there, or else Carmen would have probably seen him, but Elias and Banshee were there and fought, so I'm quite concerned for them.

Glaz, Banshee and Elias were all hiding behind the truck which got blown to kingdom come by an RPG. Thomas is currently MIA. Don't worry, (Actually do worry) this will all be answered eventually.

[Tell him the truth] Like Carmen said, it doesn't really matter what they call her, but I think it can't hurt to be honest here, to herself

• Rest in peace, so many people O.O And I never thought the fight would go that badly. We even lost Elias, who was the first Point of View character in the story. And the Anns and Banshee and Glaz, possibly Thomas as well, that was the most bloody part ever.

[Tell him the truth]

Agreeing with Liquid on this. Looks like Carmen looses the sense for her own identity and this is dangerous. Her name shouldnt matter for him but it matters for her.

Carmen Dominguez She lay on the ground, the smell of gunpowder still quite tangible in the air. Blood soaked through the sleeve of her sh

• Holy crap RIP Elias, Banshee, and Glaz. Definitely an eventful part, which makes me very glad I got caught up again.

As for Carmen, I'm not really sure what to choose, but I, personally, would be honest. Well, I say that, but I'd rather not be put in any character's situation in this story.

Anyways, [Tell him the truth] and hope I'm not too late to vote, even though I went with the majority either way.

• So, this is like the second time I've done this... But I'm doing it again. I'm going to step away for a little bit, maybe a week or more. I have a lot of stuff I need to get together and I need to get ready for school to start again and I need to get my thoughts in order and... Life. I need to get my life in order really. So, uh, I guess I leave you guys with a small list of questions like I always do when I run out of ideas if that's okay.

1.) How are you liking the story thus far? What's your favorite part and why?
    2.)What's your least favorite part and why?
    3.) Who's your favorite character, why?
    4.) Least favorite character and why?
    5.) What do you think is going to happen next?
    6.) What do you like best about this story?
    7.) What do you like least about this story?
    8.) So, by now you must've realized that nobody is ever safe in any of my stories. Who do you think is in the most danger right now? Who do you think (If any) will die first?
    9.) Rain or sun? Snow or rain?
    10.) Anything else you'd like to ask me or just say?

• edited July 2016

That is alright! You know I always like to answer questions, so I'm gladly taking the opportunity. I hope everything is fine for you and hopefully, you'll make a quick return. Until then, I will wait patiently :) By the way, I'm going to answer the questions for Youngstown a bit later, probably tomorrow if that's alright for you. But don't worry, I will have answered them for sure until you return =)

1.) How are you liking the story thus far? What's your favorite part and why?

I love the story. It is not only one of the longest running stories on here, it is also one of my absolute favourites. Like, I am really bad at favouring one story over the other, but no matter what, I'm pretty sure The dark before the dawn is always going to be among my top three stories on here. You crafted something wonderful with this and I hope to see it continuing for a long while. As for my favourite part, this is a bit hard for me, especially with a story of this choice. One that stands out for me in particular is the Lester part, where it got revealed that Katie survived. In terms of feels, little can surpass her first part after her recovery for me, where Coates murdered Lester and Zero, before banishing her. Another part that absolutely stands out, very recent this time, is the shootout, because if was absolutely brutal, but in a well-done way. It was the Red Wedding of this story, in a way.

2.)What's your least favorite part and why?

As always, I don't really think I have a least favourite. I mean, I probably have, but it was more the case of a part that was completely unremarkable and not outright bad. Any part I can't really remember is a contender for my least favourite, but of course I can't give you an example. That said, I think I remember almost all parts and most of them very fondly.

3.) Who's your favorite character, why?

Not mentioning Katie here would make me a very bad liar. Considering that she is among my longest living characters in one of the stories, I have grown very fond of her, especially considering the stuff that happened to her. There are few characters that survive their own death and that alone makes her special already. Aside from that, I love how badass she is and this cynical streak suits her well. Her almost suicidal tendendies begin to worry me though. Another favourite would be Samu. I always liked him, but ever since he teamed up with Katie, I have even more appreciation for the guy. And while she never was my least favourite, it took me a while to fully enjoy Carmen, but after the recent developments, it is save to say she is among my favourites!

4.) Least favorite character and why?

Currently, there are two who deserve special mention. One of them is Jack Hunter. While he hasn't appeared in a while, I still remember that he was the one who murdered Katie's little sister in cold blood. These two have unfinished business. Speaking of unfinished business, there's Coates of course, the bastard responsible for the murder of one of the most sympathetic characters in the entire story, which would be Lester, as well as one of the more morally complex characters, which would be Zero. In a single part, he earned himself the spot of my second least-favourite.

5.) What do you think is going to happen next?

That is super hard to say. The Dark before the Dawn is quite unpredictable, which means I don't think I'm able to make sound predictions. One thing that will happen in the long run is the reveal what these strange dreams are that Katie, Lucia, Santiago and others had, why they had it and what it means for them. Another thing I could see coming is a confrontation between Katie, Coates and perhaps Jack as well, considering that they are the two people that have been built up quite a lot for her. Then again, I might be wrong about that, but I at least expect some sort of resolution to the Virginia storyline, probably not in the near future, but after the current story arc has developed further. Considering how strong the Network still is, I guess there's a lot of potential for the story to continue for quite a while, which is great. That in turn means that there's a lot that could happen.

6.) What do you like best about this story?

Th extremely rich narrative and the unique setting are some of the strongest points of the story. Another huge thing in favour of this story are the characters, whom you manage to write interesting, unique and with a lot of depth, up to side characters. And finally, it can't be said enough, your writing in general. I believe, The Dark before the Dawn features some of your strongest writing to date and I love how you manage to show the inner thoughts of each character extremely well.

7.) What do you like least about this story?

If I had to choose anything, I'd say that this story has a bit of a similar problem I have criticized with The Forgotten, though much less severe. There are some very interesting plot points I consider as being resolved too early, or ending a little bit anticlimactic. Examples of the latter would be the Virginia arc. While certainly strongly written and featuring my favourite character, there are some elements of it that don't seem to fit. For example, there was Zero, whose death seemed to come too early, at least for me. Also, Jack Hunter's storyline seemingly went nowhere at this point of the story. And there is one character I found in the character list (which, by the way, needs a serious update ;)) named Robert Thomas and whom I don't remember at all. In general, some of the interesting existing character get killed off shockingly early, always replaced by a new interesting character. I'd prefer a slightly more stable cast. Examples for that would be the SWAT and Fed people, who received just enough build-up to make me care for them, but ultimately got killed off only two parts after their introduction. In general though, these are only nitpicks. The story is great, amazing even, it can't be said often enough.

8.) So, by now you must've realized that nobody is ever safe in any of my stories. Who do you think is in the most danger right now? Who do you think (If any) will die first?

The question about the most danger sounds easy to me. Lucia is currently infiltrating a Network facility, which is without a doubt the most immediate danger one of the main characters is in right now. I don't know who will be the next to die though. I hope for no one, but my heart tells me that I'm hoping for too much there. Considering how unpredictable the Dark before the Dawn can be at times, I find it impossible to name a specific character that might go down next. All of them have survived so much that it would be terrible in either way.

9.) Rain or sun? Snow or rain?

I am one of these weird people who like rain more than sun, though I like snow a lot more than rain. So, Snow is my favourite thing to come from the sky, as long as we're not taking aliens into consideration.

10.) Anything else you'd like to ask me or just say?

Please never stop writing :) This is serious talent I see here and I hope for a bright future. Other than that, I currently have no questions or anything else to say. I'm looking forward for the continuation of this story and of Youngstown as well!

So, this is like the second time I've done this... But I'm doing it again. I'm going to step away for a little bit, maybe a week or more. I

• I got a present for ya.

Read the PM, reply here.

So, this is like the second time I've done this... But I'm doing it again. I'm going to step away for a little bit, maybe a week or more. I

• Hey, I read it over and PM'd you back. I like the idea, just read the PM. :)

joriandrake posted: »

I got a present for ya. Read the PM, reply here.

• I love the story. It is not only one of the longest running stories on here, it is also one of my absolute favourites. Like, I am really bad at favouring one story over the other, but no matter what, I'm pretty sure The dark before the dawn is always going to be among my top three stories on here. You crafted something wonderful with this and I hope to see it continuing for a long while. As for my favourite part, this is a bit hard for me, especially with a story of this choice. One that stands out for me in particular is the Lester part, where it got revealed that Katie survived. In terms of feels, little can surpass her first part after her recovery for me, where Coates murdered Lester and Zero, before banishing her. Another part that absolutely stands out, very recent this time, is the shootout, because if was absolutely brutal, but in a well-done way. It was the Red Wedding of this story, in a way.

Thank you so much. I've put a lot of effort into my writing and I'm glad to know you like it.

That is super hard to say. The Dark before the Dawn is quite unpredictable, which means I don't think I'm able to make sound predictions. One thing that will happen in the long run is the reveal what these strange dreams are that Katie, Lucia, Santiago and others had, why they had it and what it means for them. Another thing I could see coming is a confrontation between Katie, Coates and perhaps Jack as well, considering that they are the two people that have been built up quite a lot for her. Then again, I might be wrong about that, but I at least expect some sort of resolution to the Virginia storyline, probably not in the near future, but after the current story arc has developed further. Considering how strong the Network still is, I guess there's a lot of potential for the story to continue for quite a while, which is great. That in turn means that there's a lot that could happen.

I can confirm that we'll be seeing more of Virginia in some form... Depending on future choices you guys make. ;)

If I had to choose anything, I'd say that this story has a bit of a similar problem I have criticized with The Forgotten, though much less severe. There are some very interesting plot points I consider as being resolved too early, or ending a little bit anticlimactic. Examples of the latter would be the Virginia arc. While certainly strongly written and featuring my favourite character, there are some elements of it that don't seem to fit. For example, there was Zero, whose death seemed to come too early, at least for me. Also, Jack Hunter's storyline seemingly went nowhere at this point of the story. And there is one character I found in the character list (which, by the way, needs a serious update ;)) named Robert Thomas and whom I don't remember at all. In general, some of the interesting existing character get killed off shockingly early, always replaced by a new interesting character. I'd prefer a slightly more stable cast. Examples for that would be the SWAT and Fed people, who received just enough build-up to make me care for them, but ultimately got killed off only two parts after their introduction. In general though, these are only nitpicks. The story is great, amazing even, it can't be said often enough.

Again, I know this and I've worked to correct it. I just tend to lean more towards moving the story along more than lingering on a subjects, which is bad sometimes. Jack Hunter... I had ideas for him that never worked out, so he just kind of disappeared for now until he's needed again, which now that I think about it I have an idea.Robert Thomas... Huh, haven't heard that name in awhile. My bad, once again. But none to worry, again I have an idea.

I am one of these weird people who like rain more than sun, though I like snow a lot more than rain. So, Snow is my favourite thing to come from the sky, as long as we're not taking aliens into consideration.

I guess I'm weird then? I like the rain a lot more than the sun. And I like snow a lot too, though since it's the middle of summer, there's not a lot of that going around.

Please never stop writing :) This is serious talent I see here and I hope for a bright future. Other than that, I currently have no questions or anything else to say. I'm looking forward for the continuation of this story and of Youngstown as well!

Thank you once more, Liquid. Honestly, you guys as readers are the entire reason for this. You guys make it all worth while, and put up with my junk so much and I don't know if I'll ever be able to thank you enough.

That is alright! You know I always like to answer questions, so I'm gladly taking the opportunity. I hope everything is fine for you and hop

• I got no PM, Private Messaging is bugged, that's why I wrote/warned you to reply here

Hey, I read it over and PM'd you back. I like the idea, just read the PM.

• Alirght then. I said it was fine by me, though I don't know ho well I'll be able to incorporate all of your ideas. I'll try my hardest however.

joriandrake posted: »

I got no PM, Private Messaging is bugged, that's why I wrote/warned you to reply here

Sign in to comment in this discussion.