The dark before the dawn. Interactive story

Comments

• [Yes, blow it up]

I'm staying with my choice. Directly fighting against these Network guys sounds far too risky for Samu. Besides, the girl (by the way, was her name ever mentioned?) seems to know what she's doing, so I'd like to give her a chance. And her plan sounds a lot less stupid than taking on several armed Network fighters just with a gun. Samu might be good, but I'm sure he's not that good.

mr.quality posted: »

Samu Kuusi "No." Samu whispered to her. "There's going to have to be another way, if worst comes to worst and we have to take them on, so

• the girl (by the way, was her name ever mentioned?)

Yes, It was Azumi. Of course I had to go back like three pages to find that, I quit using her name a while ago because I found it annoying to spell and I began to dislike how it sounded after being repeated multiple times... And yes, I can do that because I'm a total dictator.

[Yes, blow it up] I'm staying with my choice. Directly fighting against these Network guys sounds far too risky for Samu. Besides, the gi

• [Yes, blow it up]

Samu Kuusi "No." Samu whispered to her. "There's going to have to be another way, if worst comes to worst and we have to take them on, so

• [Yes, blow it up]

Can't believe I'm caught up :-D

• Hey! Welcome back!

finlander posted: »

[Yes, blow it up] Can't believe I'm caught up :-D

• So guys, a little update: I now have a drivers license as of yesterday! I am now a legal driver!

• [Yes, blow it up]

• Congrats mate!

So guys, a little update: I now have a drivers license as of yesterday! I am now a legal driver!

• Thanks!

Congrats mate!

• Lester Williams

Lester shook his head as he looked at Zero in disbelief.

“No.” Lester said.

“No what?” Zero asked.

“No.” Lester repeated. “This just can’t be true, what you’re saying.” Lester said.

“I’ve told you what I’ve said.” Zero said. “It is up to you to decide if you want to believe now.”

Lester leaned back in his chair and rubbed his callus hands across his tired face. He took a deep breath and held it a moment before exhaling.

“How does something like this happen?” Lester asked, not Zero. Not anyone, just asked.

“How does anything happen?” Zero answered with a question. “How does the earth orbit the sun, how does the moon orbit the Earth?” He asked. “But maybe we shouldn’t be asking how.” He said.

“Then what should we be asking?” Lester asked.

“Why.” Zero’s words hung in the air like a blanket covering the entire room. “Why are we here? Why do we fight? Why do we go on even when everything is pointless?” He asked.

“I don’t know.” Lester answered.

“Because it’s what we do, it’s who we are.” Zero said. “When our lives are shattered, we collapse along with our dreams.” He said. “But then we come back, stronger than before, more diligent, stronger and smarter than before.” He went on.

“What does the Network want?” Lester asked.

“They want everything.” Zero answered. “And it may be too late to stop them.” He said. “But I know a way.”

“Why would you help us?” Lester asked.

“A long time ago, I was faced with a choice.” Zero answered. “Join with an enemy I despised or watch my family die.” He said.

Lester opened his mouth to speak but Zero continued to speak before Lester could say anything.

“But my family is still dead, and I’ve killed… God knows how many.” Zero said. “All I ever wanted to do is protect my family, to do right by them.” He said. “I never stopped to think that maybe the best thing I could’ve done is let them go. I dragged them through hell along with me, thinking that being alive is better than being dead. I never realized that being forced to live was a fate worse than death.” He said.

“I… Uh..” Lester stuttered to string words together to form a dignified sentence. Why was he even feeling a hint of compassion for this bastard after what he did?

“I know the choice isn’t yours to make.” Zero said. “Just talk to someone about it. I had my choice and I blew it, now… Now I want to fix that mistake.” He said.

“I’ll see what they say, but they’re more likely to burn you at the stake than work with you.” Lester said as he stood up and walked to the door.

“Lester.” Zero said as Lester reached the door.

“What?” Lester asked.

“You’re a man of God, right?” He asked.

“Yeah.” Lester answered.

“Do you think God could forgive me?” Zero asked.

“Could he forgive any of us after all we’ve done?” He responded as he opened the door and stepped out into the hallway.

“What happened in there?” The man guarding the door asked. Lester brushed him off as he walked across the cabin and walked into the room where Katie lay on the couch, a fire still crackling nearby.

“Lester.” A man said. “What did he say?” He asked.

Lester walked across the room, and sat down on the edge of the couch next to Katie.

“We have a lot to rethink.” Lester said.

“Like what?” He asked.

“Do you know your enemy?” Lester asked.

“What kind of question is that?” The man asked, sounding almost offended. “Of course I know my enemy.” He said.

“Coates.” Katie mumbled. “Calm down, let him talk.” She said.

“Who is the enemy?” Lester asked.

“The Network.” Coates huffed.

“Who is our ally?” Lester asked.

“The government, can we just get on with this?” He asked.

“What if I told you that was a lie?” Lester asked. “Would you believe me?” He asked.

“No, not at all.” Coates said.

“I would.” Katie said. “I’d believe every word.”

Lester smiled a little, but at the same time he didn’t know if he should smile. This crazy messed up cluster fuck that was life was life was starting to get to him.

“In that case we have a lot to talk about.” Lester said.

Two months later

He could see her breath curling upwards in the cold as snow lightly drifted downwards. She insisted she could do it one her own, but Lester insisted on coming with her anyways.

Gritting against the cold, she pulled her tattered green scarf up over her nose and mouth to block the cold. Her red ponytail lay across her shoulder contrasting with the snow.

She gripped her m24 like it was her lifeline, the only thing keeping her together. Who knows, at this point it just might.

“There.” Lester said, pointing off to her right.

“I see it.” He remarked as she moved her rifle to her right, slow and deliberate.

“Can you make the shot?” He asked.

“If you shut up and quit trying to give off our position.” She said. Lester hushed himself as she peered through her scope at her target. “This one’s an easy one.” She said. A brief second later, black powder filled the air as a bullet was sent travelling towards the target faster than sound itself.

Lester watched eagerly at the target as it stood there. His heart sank when it looked up. They’d missed the shot. But greatly to his surprise, instead of running away the target fell over into the snow, staining the white ground red.

“You doubted me.” She said.

“Me?” Lester asked. “Never.” He said as he pushed himself up off the ground.

“Let’s just get this thing back to camp so we can get out of this damn cold.” She said.

“Speak for yourself, I grew up in Texas, this is my definition of hell on Earth.” He said. She laughed as she slowly pushed herself up off the frozen ground. She was doing a lot better, well, anything is better when you were dead. But she was still slow, and obviously in a lot of pain, though she’d refuse to admit it.

Lester held out his hand to her, but she brushed it off as she stood on her own. Together they trudged on through the snow, towards their kill. A beautiful 12 point buck.

“This is better than anything I could’ve imagined.” She said.

“How long do you think it’ll last?” Lester asked.

“As long as it has to.” She said as she grabbed the dead deer by the antlers and began feebly dragging it along with her.

“Katie, let me get that.” Lester offered.

“I’ve got it.” Katie snapped at him.

“Katie, you really shouldn’t-“

“Stop trying to babysit me, Lester.” She said. “I’m 24, no 14.” She said.

“Yeah, well I’m 72.” Lester said. “So I still have a few years on you.” He said.

“Why don’t you just keel over and die already?” She joked.

“I don’t intend on doing that any time soon.” Lester said.

“Why?” She asked.

“Because if I’m dead, I can’t be a pain in your ass.”

“Got that right.” She said as she continued dragging the deer up the hill.

“Must be a good season.” Lester remarked. “I’ve seen a lot of them lately.”

“Good.” She said. “We could use the food.”

“You’ve got that right.” Lester said. “The way the camp’s growing now, we need all the food we can get. Carlson was right about something.” He mumbled to himself. Poor old Carlson, died three weeks ago. Nobody knew why or how, but he did. And now he’s gone. Lester looked up the hill towards where the cabin was situated in the tall pines, hidden out of view. “How much longer do you think we can hold out up here like this?” Lester asked. When Katie didn’t respond, he looked over to find her collapsed in a snow bank, gripping at her ribs. He ran through the snow and knelled next to her, wrapping his arm around her.

“You alright?” He asked.

“Too much.” She wheezed. “Too soon.” She said.

“Come on.” Lester said as he wrapped her arm around his shoulder and hoisted her up. “Let’s get back to the cabin. We’ll send someone else to get the deer.” He said. The two began walking together, Katie relying heavily on Lester for support. Turns out two months might not be enough time after you were thrown off a cliff.
    Over the past two months a few radical changes had been made to the camp itself, they’d added a well to get more fresh water. They’d managed to build multiple smaller wooded huts and they put up some makeshift wooden ramparts to keep out unwanted guests. Not that they get many of those.

Fighting had really slowed down now that winter was on its way. It was harder to move around, to cold to fight. Hard to get food. Fighting had slowed, but not stopped. Lester walked with Katie through the camp towards the cabin.

“What happened?” Coates asked.’

“She tried to haul a deer up the mountain on her own.” He said. Coates shook his head.

“Of course.” Coates said. “I’ll send someone after the deer. Get her inside and don’t let her move.” He said.

“Can do.” Lester said as he trudged towards the cabin and opened the door. He laid her on the couch once again and took off her boots. He grabbed the blanket off the back of the couch and wrapped it around her shoulders.

“I guess I’m not invincible.” She spoke in a pained voice.

“None of us are.” He said.

“I thought I was ready.” She said.

“Well, you weren’t.” Lester scolded her. “Now stop trying to push yourself. You’ll never get better if you just keep getting hurt.” He said.

“Sometimes you have to cross the line to know where it is.” Katie said.

“We know damn well where it is now.” Lester said.

“Seems like.” Katie said. Her green eyes scanned out the window into the snow. “What’s happening out there?” She asked. Lester looked out the window and saw a large group of people gathering around.

“I don’t know.” Lester said. “Just stay here, I’ll go check it out.” He said.

“Does it look like I’m going anywhere?” She asked, accompanied by a pained laugh. Lester walked through the cabin and opened the door walking out into the cold December sun. He walked over to the amassed crowd and saw what was happening.

Coates was holding a gun to Zero’s head. Lester pushed his way through the crowd up to the front.

“What are you doing?” Lester asked.

“It’s been two damn months, Lester.” He said. “I say it’s time we end this game.”

“And how do you say we do that?” Lester asked.

“We put a bullet in the fuckers brain.” Coates said, looking over Lester’s face which was twisted with a mixture of fear, anger, and confusion. “Do you have a problem with killing a Network Agent, Lester?” He asked.

Choice

[Step aside and let them kill Zero]

[Try to stop them]

• That was a great part! It was awesome to see Katie back from the brink of death. She hasn't lost he spirit for sure, even if she is obviously not back at her peak yet. But the progress she made is considerable and while I wouldn't put her into a physical fight already, she can obviously shoot her rifle again. It looks like she's back, or at least as good as back, ready to kick Network ass :D

I also liked the timeskip a lot, not only because it sped up Katie's recovery. Although, naturally that was part of the reason :) Timeskips are always intriguing and I am curious what the other characters have been up to in the meantime.

[Try to stop them]

Emphasis on the 'trying' part. Since Lester is an old man, I am not sure if he can stop Coates, especially if that guy is determined to kill. Hopefully he can talk him down though. At the same time, I can understand Coates' reason, even if I disagree with him. While trusting Zero would be a bit too much, I think he can be useful, especially if he says the truth. All of this seems to be far too complicated for one of his schemes, considering that he could just kill them all with his Network contacts, so I am willing to believe him. And because of that, I think Lester should try and stop Coates from killing Zero. I just hope that this won't be dangerous for Lester, and considering my paranoia, I hope that this won't be dangerous for Katie either.

Lester Williams Lester shook his head as he looked at Zero in disbelief. “No.” Lester said. “No what?” Zero asked. “No.” Lester

• [Try to stop them]

This is totally the choice Lester would pick. I am afraid this could get him killed but if he dies here he at least stood up for his morals.

Lester Williams Lester shook his head as he looked at Zero in disbelief. “No.” Lester said. “No what?” Zero asked. “No.” Lester

• [Try to stop them]

• Dillon

Dillon looked just as shocked as the man that just drank poison. Why wouldn’t he? He looked over to Maya, who was sitting speechless.

“What do we do now?” Cruz asked.

“There’s nothing we can do.” Dillon muttered. “We don’t even know what kind of poison that was, maybe it kills you in a few seconds, maybe it doesn’t kill you at all.” He went on.

“Who would do this?” The president asked.

“That’s what I intend on finding out.” Dillon said as he stood from the table. “Fuck.” He muttered.

“What is it?” Cruz asked.

“The entire room.” Dillon said. “Everyone here drank the same thing.” He said.

“Everyone’s poisoned.” The president said.

“Do we tell them?” Cruz asked.

“No.” Dillon said. “It’ll only cause a panic. I need to find the asshole that did this, he’ll just escape in the frenzy.” He said. Cruz nodded. “Just stay here, I’ll be back in a minute.”

“Don’t worry, I wasn’t intending on going anywhere.” Cruz said. Dillon nodded but still looked worriedly over at Maya. “I’ve got her.” Cruz reassured him. “Now get going before this guy escapes.” He said.

Dillon nodded once more to him as he began walking through the crowd moving towards the only place he knew to look, the kitchen.

He casually strolled through the crowd, reminding himself that now wasn’t the time to be drawing unwanted attention. He paused and looked at one of the tables full of poor people that were about to possibly die. But oddly enough, that wasn’t what he was focused on. He reached down and grabbed a nearby lady’s steak knife. She said something to him, but he brushed her off. Not like he knew what she said anyways. Damn you language barrier.

Should’ve payed more attention in Spanish class.

He reached the door to the kitchen and slowly pushed it open, making his way inside. He let it drift shut behind him. Multiple chefs were hustling around cooking meals for the party. But two stood out, one was a waiter, the one from earlier. The other was a strong looking man wearing a black suit.

“It’s done.” The waiter said, in plain English.

“This is good.” The suit said. “The president was about to allocate his army to the Resistance”

“But his successor, his daughter? Won’t she do the same?” The waiter asked.

“We have a failsafe, I assure you.” The suit said.

“You’re going to execute them all?” He asked.

“Something like that.” The suit said. “You’ve proved to be most useful, but your services are no longer needed for the goals of the Network.” The suit said.

“What does that mean?” The waiter asked. The suit let his finger tap his holster. “Oh… Shit.” The waiter said, just before he took off running. He barely got a few steps in before the suit had shot him dead, though the shots were hushed, muted. Silenced.

The chefs stopped cooking, and turned and looked at what happened. The suit turned to face them.

“What are you looking at? Get back to work.” He snarled. One chef pointed past the suit… At Dillon.

“We have a problem.” The chef said. The suit turned and looked at Dillon.

“You shouldn’t’ve come here, kid.” He said, bringing up his gun. But Dillon was ready, without a second though he left his instincts take over, the knife left his hand and sailed through the air at bullet speed. The suit didn’t even see it coming as the steel blade embedded itself deep into his eye.

The suit took one clumsy step forward before tumbling forward to the floor. Dillon rushed forwards and picked up the Suit’s gun, aiming at the chefs.

“Nobody move.” Dillon said. “The poison, can we cure it?” He asked.

“No.” One chef said, taking a small vail out of his pocket.

“What is that?” Dillon asked watching as he took the cap off the vial. “Hand it here.” Dillon demanded.

“No.” The chef said, lifting the vial to his lips taking a quick swig of the liquid. It was all he could get down before Dillon shot him right through the heart.

Dillon looked around the room in horror, all the chefs had already met a similar fate. They all drank the poison they served to their patrons, but why did it kill them quicker? It had to be a different poison.

Dillon quickly recoiled and rushed out of the kitchen back to the party. The horror only followed him. All of the partiers had met their fate, the poison had taken effect. Dillon walked over to the lady he took the knife from and checked for a pulse. There wasn’t one. She wasn’t even warm, like she’d died a long time ago.

The only sound in the room was the sobs of a single person. Dillon waded through the mass of dead bodies back towards Maya. She sat, holding on to her father as if she could bring him back. He knelled down beside her and awkwardly placed his hand over her shoulder.

“I, uh…” Dillon stuttered, searching for words. “Sorry.” He said, sounding more unsure than he did reassuring. Why was this so hard? People are difficult.

Maya looked over at him with her warm brown eyes, full of sadness and broken thoughts. She took a shaky breath, in a weak attempt to gather herself.

“We, We should go.” She said.

“Okay.” Dillon said, as he stood back up. “Where do we go?” He asked.

“I assume you go back to where you came from now.” She said.

“And you?” Dillon asked.

“I take up where my father left off.” She said.

“So you’re the president now.” Dillon said.

“I’m more than just a pretty face.” Maya said.

“Seems like you have a lot on your plate now.” Dillon said.

“Yeah.” Maya sighed. “It’s going to be hard to live up to my father’s legacy.”

“He was a good man, Maya.” Dillon said.

“He was.” She agreed. Dillon heard heavy footsteps coming into the room. He watched as a group of heavily armed men walked through the door.

“Kill the girl!” One yelled.

“Oh shit!” Maya exclaimed.

“This way!” Dillon yelled as he sprinted through the room of dead bodies towards the back exit. Maya was hot on his heels.

“Don’t let them get away!” Another yelled, he could hear the sound of gunshots and feel bullets flying by him, threatening to kill on contact.

Weird thing, bullets aren’t good for human health for some reason.

Dillon didn’t waste any time attempting to open the old wooden door. Instead he threw his body into with all of his force, proving more than enough to break the old door. Dillon emerged out into some sort of back alley. He spun around and looked at Maya.

“This way!” She yelled, taking off in a mad dash down the alley. Dillon wasted no time following her. The armed men soon burst out into the alley. Dillon’s eyes widened as he realized they had come to a dead end.

But this didn’t slow Maya down. She climbed up the side of the wall and jumped down, lading on the other side. Dillon looked back and thought it smart to do the same. Once he was over the wall, he wall pulled back. He looked over and saw Maya, who instantly hushed him.

Dillon watched as the group of men scaled the concrete wall and jumped down o the other side, right in front of him, but unable to see him through the bushes.

“Where did they go?” One asked.

“This way!” Another yelled, as he took off running. The others followed close behind him.

Dillon and Maya stayed low behind the bushes for a long time before Dillon stood up and looked around, finding no one in sight he motion to Maya to do the same.

“You can’t go back there.” Dillon said. “They’ll kill you, and you know it.” He said.

“I do know.” She agreed.

“Then where are we going?” He asked.

“I know a place.” Maya said.

Two months later

The hot sun beat down upon the white sand. Dillon could hear the sound of the waves crashing to shore. He stared out in the infinite expanse of blue. There was a land form somewhere on the other side of this ocean, somewhere. Maybe somehow it was better than the one they were on now.

Dillon took a few steps letting the sand squish in between his toes. He turned around and looked up at the giant concrete structure that had been build years prior to their arrival. A giant building, one hell of a hotel. The entire place was just for them.

When they got here, the place was abandoned. Apparently the people fled inland out of fear, and the ones that stayed died because of stupidity. It was obvious the Network had been here, go a few streets over and you can still see the rubble from the miniature war that went on here.

Network… That word tasted like a handful of shredded glass. He hadn’t said that word, much less said it in the past two months. He’d been here, away from it all. Like it never happened.

He was on vacation. From a war.

More like AWOL if you stop to think about it, but what were they going to do? Court martial him?

He watched the large Mexican flag wave slowly in the light breeze. Life in Mexico wasn’t too bad, of course it wasn’t home either.

“You’re wearing jeans.” A voice interrupted him thoughts. “On the beach.”

Dillon looked around until he saw Maya standing nearby.

“Yeah.” Dillon said. “At least I’m wearing cloths.” He joked, looking at her skimpy bathing suit.

“I found it.” She said. “I like it.” Dillon stiffed a smile.

“So now we’re stealing other people’s cloths.” Dillon said.

“Do you see anyone else here?” She asked. “I don’t think the ghosts are going to be using them.”

“Fair enough.” Dillon said, a small smirk on his face. Maya smiled at him.

“We’ve been here two months and I don’t think I’ve ever seen you wear anything other than those jeans.” She said.

“Probably because I haven’t.” Dillon answered.

“That’s kind of gross.” Maya said.

“What?” Dillon asked. “They don’t smell too bad yet.”

“That is so gross.” Maya said. She gazed out towards the ocean. “Do you think it’s any better out there?” She asked.

“I was just wondering the same thing.” Dillon admitted. “Maybe it is, but maybe it isn’t.” He said. “I don’t think it matters. We’re here and we’re alive, I think that has to be our main priority.” He went on. She blinked as she looked back at him.

“You’re more right than I want to admit, Dillon.” She said.

“And I’m afraid of that.” He said.

“So am I.” She said. “Always being afraid sucks.” She said.

“One day things will get better.” He said.

“What makes you so sure?” She asked.

“Change is inevitable, nothing’s forever.” He said. “Things are going to change, big things.” He said.

Her embrace was unexpected, but none the less welcome. She wrapped her arms around him and rested her chin on his shoulder, closing her eyes. Dillon stood shocked for a few seconds before returning the hug.

“I know I say it a lot.” Maya said. “But I just wanted to say thank you.”

“You know you don’t have to thank me.” Dillon said.

“If it wasn’t for you I would’ve killed myself a long time ago.” She said. “I would’ve jumped off that damn bridge.” She said, Dillon could tell she was on the verge of tears. Over the past two months with Maya, Dillon had become a lot better at reading her emotions.

“But you didn’t, Maya.” He said. “The only thing I did was tell you not to. It was what any decent human being would do.”

“Not everyone’s a decent human.” Maya said.

“But not everyone’s bad.” Dillon said.

“You’re living proof of that.” Maya whispered. A few moments of silence passed as Dillon listed to the crashing of the waves. “Dillon.” Maya said.

“Yeah?” Dillon asked.

“Dillon.” She said. “I love you.”

Dillon froze. He didn’t know what to say, or how to say it. Or if he should say anything at all. Maybe it was best to stay silent? Was there anything you could say to that?

Yeah, they’d spent a lot of time together. But Dillon never thought that they were more than just friends at the very most.

“I… Uh… I.” Dillon stuttered.

“Excuse me.” A man’s voice said, interrupting them. Dillon jumped back and pulled a knife out of his pocket. The man raised his hands as a sign of good intentions. “I mean no harm.” He said.

“Who are you?” Dillon asked.

“I’m with the Resistance.” The man said. “We’ve been looking for you for some time now.”

“The Resistance?” Dillon asked. “What the hell do they want with me?” He snarled.

“They want you back.” He said.

“Like hell they do.” Dillon said. “I think they made it pretty clear what they wanted of me last time we spoke.” He said.

“Times change, Dillon.” The man said.

“How did you know where to find me?” He asked.

“It wasn’t easy.” The man said. “I’ve been across half the country. You were pretty good at covering your trail, but not perfect.” He said. Dillon eyed the man.

“Dillon, please don’t leave me.” Maya interrupted.

“I’m not going to leave you.” Dillon said.

“She can come, you know.” The man said.

“I don’t want anything to do with your damn Resistance.” Dillon said.

“Why?” The man said. “Because you’re comfortable living on a beach with your girlfriend here? Is that it?” Dillon felt a little ashamed at the comment. “What happens when the Network rips through here and destroys your pretty little beach? What then?” He asked.

“The Resistance can go to hell.” Dillon said.

“Kid, all we’re asking for is one more chance to set things straight.” He said. “What do you say?”

Choice

[Agree to help the Resistance]

[Refuse to leave]

• [Agree to help the Resistance]

One last time, right? Actually, such a thing never goes well, but I think this is his responsibility. He just can't run away from it. Like the Resistance guy said, it is entirely possible that the Network finds him sooner or later, if they aren't stopped.

Dillon Dillon looked just as shocked as the man that just drank poison. Why wouldn’t he? He looked over to Maya, who was sitting speechle

Dillon Dillon looked just as shocked as the man that just drank poison. Why wouldn’t he? He looked over to Maya, who was sitting speechle

• edited January 2016

Lucia Martinez

Lucia reached out her hand for the pistol, just as her fingers brushed the metallic grip, Langston jerked back. He looked Lucia directly in the eye.

“If I give you this gun, are you going to shoot me?” He asked.

“Not unless you give me a reason.” Lucia said. “I’m going out on a limb and assuming you are who you say you are. I’m guessing if you wanted me dead, I would’ve been dead a long time ago.” She said.

“Good answer.” Langston said, placing the gun in her hands. “We have to move now, we’ll take you back to camp if you want to come.” He said.

“I- I do.” Lucia said. Langston nodded to her and placed a hand on her shoulder.

“It’s okay Lucia, You’re in good hands now.” He said, he cocked his head around and looked at Gord. “Are you ready to move?” He asked.

“Almost, Just get the girl out in the Humvee.” Gord responded. “We’ll be mobile in three.” He went on.

“I’ll be timing you.” Langston said before turning back to Lucia, he kept scanning her with his green eyes as if looking for something. “We’ve got to go now.” He said.

“But my brother…” Lucia said.

“Gord has him.” Langston said. “He’ll be fine.” He said, giving Lucia a small nudge. She walked in a trance-like state through the apartment towards the front door. Her eyes were still glued on Santiago. “It helps if you don’t look.” Langston said, trying to keep Lucia going. Lucia was then forced to turn her attention to Alex, she was laying against the wall, her shirt soaked in blood. She didn’t look dead, she just looked like she was sleeping.

“How?” Lucia asked. “How was she talking to me if she was dead?” She asked.

“She wasn’t.” He answered. “You were under a lot of stress, your own mind was breaking down on you and you were seeing and hearing things that weren’t really there.”

“Oh.” Lucia answered as together her and Langston walked past Alex’s body. As Lucia walked past she saw Alex lift a finger to her lips as if to hush Lucia. Lucia shook her head and stopped moving, looking back at Langston before turning her head back at Alex, who now looked as if she hadn’t moved at all.

“Is something wrong?” Langston asked. Lucia closed her eyes for a bit longer than usual and took a deep breath before answering.

“Yeah, No.” Lucia answered. “Everything’s fine. I’m fine.” She said. The look on Langston’s face told Lucia that he didn’t believe anything she’d said. But it also told her that he wasn’t about to argue with her. He just nodded slowly before he continued to walk out of the apartment.

Once past the blood stained halls and broken doors, Lucia felt as if she might collapse. But something kept pushing her forward. Either it was herself or Langston’s strong yet gentle hand on her shoulder.

He pushed through the complex’s front door and led her out into the street. There were two Humvees haphazardly parked on the side of the road. A tall black man was walking around hold a blood stained cloth to his arm. A woman was sitting on the ground, leaning against one of the Humvees wheels. Judging by how red the legs of her pants were, Lucia had shot her in the shin. Langston leaned close to her and whisper into her ear.

“Don’t tell them you were the one with the gun, aright?” He said.

“Langston, you get the sniper?” The man asked.

“Where’s Gord? Is he alright?” The woman asked.

“Gord’s fine, he’s helping a wounded civilian.” Langston said. “And that sniper won’t be an issue to anyone anymore.” He went on, looking at Lucia.

“And who is this?” The man asked.

“This is Lucia, We’re bringing her and another back to camp.” Langston said.

“Good to hear, We can always use an extra set of hands.” The man said as he walked forward and shook Lucia’s hand. “I’m Dave Emory. Her over there…” He said, pointing to the woman. “Is Cassie Roxanna. I’m with the United States Marines.” Dave said, waiting for Lucia to press for more information. Lucia obliged.

“And who is Cassie with?” Lucia asked him.

“The CIA.” He said with a smile.

“CIA?” Lucia asked.

“Hell yeah.” Dave said. “CIA all the way.”

“Except the fact that I fucking got myself shot.” Cassie said. “That and we fell out of contact a week ago.”

“Comms are the least of our issues right now.” Langston said.

“You’re right about that.” Cassie said as she propped her hands against the surface of the road and uneasily rose to her feet, avoiding putting pressure on her leg.

“Woah there, take it easy Roxanna.” Dave said as he took a step towards her. Cassie waved him off.

“It’s superficial. I’ll be fine as long as we get back to camp.” She said.

“Got to hand to the CIA, they make ‘em though as nails.” Dave said.

“But they just can’t make them how they used to.” Langston joked. Cassie slyly smiled at him.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” She asked.

“That means back in my day, I’d take a bullet and keep going like it wasn’t shit.” Langston said.

“That was a long time ago.” Cassie said.

“Not long enough.” Langston said.

“Wait, you’re CIA too?” Lucia asked.

“Ex CIA.” Langston answered. “I wasn’t lying to you.”

“We’re good to move.” Gord said as he came out of the building carrying Santiago.

“What happened to him?” Dave asked, looking at Santiago.

“Took a shotgun round.” Gord said.

“And he lived?” Dave asked.

“Thanks to our friend here.” Gord said, nodding to Lucia. “Our own little surgeon.” He added jokingly.

“I’ll trade Gord for her in that case.” Cassie said.

“Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.” Gord said.

“Let’s get on the road.” Langston said. “We’ve got some ground to cover if we want to reach camp before Roxanna bleeds to death.”

“In that case, let’s just take our time.” Gord said.

“Emory, you’re with Gord and the wounded. Roxanna, You’re with me and Lucia.” Langston said. “We’ll take lead this time.”

“You heard the man.” Gord said as he trudged away still carrying Santiago. Dave rushed up behind him to open the Humvees door.

“You’re separating us?” Lucia asked.

“For now. We need to give Gord some room to work.” Langston replied.

“You’re letting a wounded man drive?” Lucia asked.

“Wounded or not, Emory is one of the best drivers we have. Your friend is in safe hands.” Langston said.

“He’s not my friend.” Lucia mumbled. “He’s my brother.”

Langston bit his lip as he tried to think of something to say, but it became obvious he was drawing a blank.

“He’ll be fine.” Langston said.

“Camp just radioed in, the want us back like twelve minutes ago.” Cassie said.

“We better get going then.” Langston said. “Go on and hop in the back.” He said as he approached the driver’s side. Cassie limped over to the passenger’s side and pulled the door open, wincing in pain with every step. She stopped and looked back at Lucia.

“Come on, let’s go.” Cassie urged. Lucia turned back towards the building and looked up at the windows. There, in a second story window stood a young girl with a blood stained shirt, watching Lucia. She motioned for her to go. Lucia obeyed, turning back towards the Humvee and shuffling to the back door. Once she was seated inside Langston turned the engine on and pulled out, driving down the road straight down the middle, regardless of what the faded double- yellow lines said about it. Langston picked up the Humvees onboard radio and spoke into it.

“Try to keep up.” He said.

“You won’t be able to shake me.” Dave’s voice spoke back, backwashed in static. Langston looked in the mirror back at Lucia.

“You know the best part of all of this?” He asked.

“Uhh…” Lucia stuttered.

“No speed limits.” Langston said, as he mashed the gas pedal to the floor causing the Humvee to lurch forward and pinning Lucia against the back of her seat. Cassie acted like this was a normal occurrence, as she turned and looked at Lucia.

“You’ll get used to it after a while.” She said.

“Sure I will.” Lucia answered. Cassie smiled as she turned back around in her seat.

“So, are you from around here?” Langston asked her. “You and your brother?”

“I,uh. I guess you could say that.” Lucia said.

“Guess?” Langston asked.

“We’re from Argentina.” Lucia said. “We haven’t been here all that long.”

“Just got caught in the cross-fire huh?” Langston asked. “I’m sorry that happened to you. You ever think about going back?” He asked.

“Every time I do, I wake up and realize I’m right here.” Lucia said.

“What kind of answer is that?” Langston asked. “You don’t have anyone back home you want to see again? Any family?” He asked.

“My family is dead.” Lucia responded.

“That’s becoming all too common.” Langston said. “What about a boyfriend, someone as beautiful as you ought to have the boys lining up out the door.” He said. Lucia bit her lip as she looked at the back of Langston’s head.

“I…” Lucia said. “I’m gay.” She said, hoping not to offend anyone. She didn’t want to ruin her brother’s chance at getting better, or her own chance at a new life.

“Sorry, my bad. It didn’t even cross my mind.” Langston said. Lucia breathed a sigh of relief, she felt like she’d dodged a bullet to a point. “Did you have a girlfriend then?” He asked.

“Yes.” Lucia answered. “But we got in a fight before I left Argentina and I guess we’re kinda over now.” Lucia said.

“I’m sorry to hear that, it’s not always easy to find good company anymore.” Langston said.

“It’s more or less my fault.” Lucia said. “We’d been here less than a month and I was already sleeping with another girl, but she killed herself. Instead of trying to deal with the damage, I filled the void with another girl, who turned out to be working for the Network. She attacked me and disappeared like a theft in the night.” Lucia went on.

“I’m really sorry this happened to you, Lucia. It really sounds like you’ve been through a lot.” Langston said.

“It’s the Martinez family curse, when it rains, it pours.” Lucia said.

“Tell you what, we’ve got a lot of good people back at camp. I’m sure you’ll get along just fine with them.” Langston said. “I’ll see to it myself you’re taken care of good.” He said.

“Langston?” Lucia asked. “Can I ask you a question?”

“Go right ahead.” Langston said.

“Did you have a family?” She asked. Lucia could tell be the way his head tilted downwards and how he bit his lip that this was a touchy subject. “You don’t have to answer that.” Lucia said.

“I did.” Langston said. “I had a wife and three kids.”

“Where are they?” Lucia asked, barely able to ask before he continued.

“My wife, Jade, she sympathized with the Network. She was feeding them critical intel, acting as a mole within our base back at the pentagon. When I found out about it, it was almost too late. She was about to give them the locations of all of our troops and all of our movements, I had a choice then. I had to choose between saving my entire country that I love. Or saving the woman I love, the mother of my three kids.” He said, pausing. “I chose my country over my family. I couldn’t get the balls to confront her myself, so I used my influence to go to high command and beg them not to execute her. They agreed as long as she turned herself in and confessed. I thought I’d done the right thing, I kept it private, the kids didn’t even hear about it. Neither did she, I was going to turn her in before she realized what happened. But somehow, she found out our plan. I came home one day to find the entire house barricaded, she was inside with a gun, she said the house was rigged to blow…”

“You don’t have to say any more.” Lucia said.

“The Pentagon sent out their specialized forces to breach the house. I was standing out in my front lawn as the blew a hole straight through the side of the house. I heard gunshots… So many gunshots… They didn’t know my kids were in there. The thought the kids were Network and shot them all. My wife killed herself to avoid letting them kill her. They found her body in the basement with half her head blown off. Before she died, she wrote me a letter. I read it every day just to remind myself how I slipped up once, and got everyone I loved killed. I vowed from that day to stop letting others dictate my life and go on doing what I saw as just and right. I wasn’t going to hide behind someone else because I had a problem I was too scared to face. My problems, my fears and my failures, they were mine. And I had to fix them, own up to them. Take control. And that’s exactly what I did, I was authorized to take a group of marine soldiers and form a community that was sanctuary for all, regardless of everything that happened. There would be no higher-ups, no corrupt chain of command, no needless hate. Just survival. Just another chance at living a life once lost.” He said.

“Jesus…” Lucia said. “I… I’m so… Sorry.” Lucia said, finding it hard to put what she was feeling into words. This man, he’d been through so much and lost everything, yet he was still going and trying to help people survive?

“Thank you.” Langston mumbled. And an awkward silence begun to hand itself throughout the Humvees cabin. Lucia bit her lip to keep it from quivering. Eventually Cassie cleared her throat shattering the silence. Her voice started out small and squeaky but soon got back to her normal tone.

“Now you’re trying to make me cry.” Cassie said, with a small sniffle.

“I guess you should tell her your story.” Langston said to Cassie as he focused on the road.

“Okay, uh.” Cassie started. “It’s kind of hard to follow a story like that. Well, um, My parents were from France, they moved here before I was born. I grew up in California, living the good life. I joined up with the CIA as a rookie agent when I turned 20. I was shot three times while on call during my second day of work. I was apparently in a coma for a little over a month. I guess my parents passed away while I was out, I didn’t even get to show up at their funeral. Once I was back on my feet, the CIA was quick to snatch me back up and put me back in the field. I’ve been to places it still can’t tell you about and done things I’d be assassinated for saying. Then it came to this, the CIA more or less dissipated sans a few agents that loosly stay in contact. I more or less just help out with the day-to-day operations around the town, security, supply runs, search parties, research. A lot of stuff that doesn’t really amount to anything.” She said.

“That’s bull shit and you know it Roxanna.” Langston said. “She’s saved my ass more times than I can count. Hell, she’s saved the town from all sorts of shit. The CIA may not still be active, but their damn satellites are still pretty useful.” He went on. Cassie bowed her head almost seeming ashamed.

“But how many have I killed?” She asked. Langston had no response to that, he instead reached over and grabbed the radio again and turned the dial.

“Camp Birchwood, this is SS Langston. We are approaching the front gates, over.” He said.

“Copy that Langston. Gates are wide open.” A static voice responded.

“Be advised we have civilians in tow and one is severely wounded.” He went on.

“Copy that, will have medical personnel on stand-by.” The radio once again crackled. Langston put the radio down as he began to slow down.

“Damn speed limits apply when you’re driving through crowded streets. We may have a few cars, but we don’t want to wreck them.” He said. Lucia’s eyes widened as she looked up ahead and saw the massive scaling sheet metal and concrete wall up ahead. Two large panels were folded outwards in the wall like a set of doors. As they drove closer they passed signs that were posted on the side of the road. Each on in a different language, yet saying the same thing. Welcome to camp Birchwood, you are safe.

“Welcome to your new life Lucia.” Langston said.

Three months later

“Let’s get this over with quickly.” He said. “These suits only have thirty minutes of breathable oxygen, and we’ve already wasted ten.”

Lucia clumsily moved around in the plastic suit looking at the building’s interior. The layers of plastic covering her entire body made her feel less safe than it should’ve. She didn’t want to be anywhere near this place, especially not knowing what they’re messing with. Lucia scribbled down noted on her pad, which was difficult with these bulky gloves on. But it was do able.

“Got anything Lucia?” Asked Cassie as she walked toward her sporting the same stylish hazmat suit.

“The building itself looks like it’s up to code, or at least as close to code as it can be when there’s a war going on around it. The ceiling near the northeast corner has a crack in it, nothing our repair team can’t fix. If this place is still useable, that is. The foundation is sturdy and the supports and joists are all good. All in all, this building is perfectly fine just needs a good scrub.” Lucia said.

“Good to hear Lucia, I’m going to let you get back to it.” Cassie said as she patted Lucia on the back as she walked off. Lucia could obviously see she stilled walked with a small limp from being shot, but she seemed to just be playing it off.

“So that’s your name.” A boy next to Lucia said. Lucia turned around and looked at him, it’s impossible to tell what people truly look like through the hazmat suits, so Lucia didn’t even bother. He was carrying a note pad just like her.

“And you are?” She asked.

“Felix Jurardo.” He said, reaching out his free hand. Lucia took it and shook. “What are you here for?” He asked.

“I studied architecture.” She said. “Thought it could be useful to tell if the building was worth trying to save.” She said.

“It’s not going to collapse on us is it?” He asked.

“Not by my calculations.” Lucia said.

“As long as you say so.” Felix said.

“And what are you here for?” Lucia asked.

“Eh, I’m just here to take in the sights and beautiful women.” He said, with a sly smile.

“Are you making a pass at me?” Lucia asked.

“Maybe.” Felix said. “But anyways, I’m the new guy. I got rotated in from Delta squad.”

“You were on Delta squad?” Lucia asked. “That’s amazing! They didn’t let me in because they said I wasn’t ready.” She said. It was true, twice she put in for a transfer to Delta squad. Twice she was denied, they said she was to skinny, to small, to forgiving. Delta squad was full of people ruthless enough and dauntless enough to do their training in a live mine field. Delta squad was the squad that was tasked with taking care of business abroad. They’d simply disappear one night and you wouldn’t hear from them in weeks, then they’d show back up and a camp of raiders would’ve disappear.

“I think you could handle it. I mean, you were the one that was riding along with Viper squad for a month before being rotated here to Chem squad.” Felix said.

“Yeah. I was with them for about a month.” Lucia said.

“That’s amazing.” Felix said. “I always wanted to know what it was like to work with Langston and Roxanna.” He said.

“They’re good people.” Lucia said.

“I know, otherwise I wouldn’t be here today. I’d have starved to death in central park.” He said. “Hey, do you want to meet up later tonight?” He asked. Lucia looked at him like a strange science experiment. Before she could say anything she was interrupted.

“Lucia, did you find anything else?” Cassie asked again from behind. Lucia turned around to face her.

“I haven’t gotten anything other than what I’ve told you.” Lucia answered her. She nodded.

“Then you should probably be heading out, your oxygen has to be red- lining by now.” Cassie said. Lucia looked down at her gauge.

“I’ve got about three more minutes.” Lucia said. Cassie nodded again, narrowing her eyes at Lucia.

“What’s wrong? Something on your mind?” She asked. Lucia shook her head.

“No, it’s just… I find it difficult to understand why we’re letting the researchers play with possibly deadly pathogens and viruses

• , I don’t see how it can benefit our community.” Lucia said. Cassie bit her lip.

“It’s not for the community. It’s for protection.” She said.

“Chemical warfare?” Felix said, reading Lucia’s mind. “That’s against like every law on war ever.” He said.

“Yeah, well the CWC went out the window the second the Network used mustard gas on our boys over in Buffalo. But don’t get me wrong, I don’t think this is right. But it’s not my call to make. I suggest you get out of here before you run out of oxygen.” Cassie said. Lucia nodded and turned, heading for the exit. She noticed Felix was following her.

“You’re following me.” Lucia said.

“Yeah, my job’s done.” Felix said.

“And that was?” She asked.

“The outbreak is contained and not going anywhere, I’m done here.” He said. Lucia pushed through the exit with Felix right behind her. Once outside she stood against the building’s brick wall looking towards a tall man that was holding a hose. He walked over to her, and rinsed her down then rinsed Felix.

“You’re good.” He said. Lucia grabbed the suits plastic helmet and pulled it off, once again being able to see through her own eyes and not a sheet of clear plastic. She then ripped off her gloves, so she could unzip her suit easier.

Once the suit was unzipped she easily shimmied out of it happy to let real air touch her skin again. It’d only been thirty minutes, but it felt like a day without sun. She left the suit in a pile on the ground, someone else would eventually get it. That wasn’t her job. She walked over to a nearby bench and sat down, she reached under it and found her shoes, a well-worn pair of red sneakers. She pulled them on her feet and tied them so they wouldn’t fall off. Her red shoes with her white shirt and black pants made her look like someone right off the cover of a White Stripes album, but she liked it. And that’s all that mattered to her.

“You know, you never answered me.” Felix said, popping up next to her. She sighed.

“I just can’t get rid of you, can I?” She asked.

“Not without an answer.” He said. “Do you want to go out later? Just me and you.” She sighed.

“Felix. Honestly, I have nothing against you at all. It’s just…” Lucia trailed, Felix looked to her as if waiting for her to finish her sentence. “I’m gay.” She said. At first he looked a bit flustered, but his face soon returned to his normal smirk.

“I don’t see anything wrong with two friends hanging out after a long day’s work.” He said. “What’s your schedule look like?” He asked.

“I don’t have anything to do until tomorrow, I have to be back here to take a final look and debriefing.” Lucia said.

“Then why can’t you hang out with me, huh?” He asked. “I’m not trying to pull anything on you at all, seriously. I’m just new here, and after being with Delta squad for that long, I could use some friends.”

Choice

[Agree to meet Felix]

[Decline]

• As Lucia walked past she saw Alex lift a finger to her lips as if to hush Lucia. Lucia shook her head and stopped moving, looking back at Langston before turning her head back at Alex, who now looked as if she hadn’t moved at all.

Okay, so this is totally freaking me out. It might still just be that Lucia is under a lot of stress at the moment and tired as hell, but still... it's starting to get really spooky. I start to wonder if there is more behind her hallucination. Maybe there's even a connection to the dreams she, Alex, Santiago, Katie and possibly others whom I can't remember at the moment had. For now, I'm settling for stress-induced hallucinations, but I wouldn't be surprised if all of this turns out to be connected.

[Agree to meet Felix]

I don't see anything wrong with making new friends. Felix sounds like an okay guy and I hope I'm not wrong with this. I guess making a new friend can never hurt, right?

, I don’t see how it can benefit our community.” Lucia said. Cassie bit her lip. “It’s not for the community. It’s for protection.” She s

• [Agree to meet Felix]

, I don’t see how it can benefit our community.” Lucia said. Cassie bit her lip. “It’s not for the community. It’s for protection.” She s

• [Agree to meet Felix] Why not?

Am I the only one who noticed that Lucia had a longer timeskip than the other characters? I wonder why.

• Am I the only one who noticed that Lucia had a longer timeskip than the other characters? I wonder why.

Well uh, I thin you were the only one to notice... Because I didn't.

To be honest, that was a total accident, really. Her timeskip was supposed to be the same as all the others...

But, I'm probably not going to change it and just go with it.

janitor posted: »

[Agree to meet Felix] Why not? Am I the only one who noticed that Lucia had a longer timeskip than the other characters? I wonder why.

• I thought you had a plan with the longer timeskip for her and wasnt sure if I even should mention it XD But its cool. I like timeskips and I guess she had the most action in her timeskip, when you compare her to the storylines of Lester and Katie and Dillon. To me it makes sense to give her a longer timeskip

Am I the only one who noticed that Lucia had a longer timeskip than the other characters? I wonder why. Well uh, I thin you were the

• I guess sometimes mistakes turn out to be for the best.

janitor posted: »

I thought you had a plan with the longer timeskip for her and wasnt sure if I even should mention it XD But its cool. I like timeskips and I

• Samu Kuusi

He narrowed his eyes at the girl. He still didn’t know whether to trust her or not, and he still didn’t know jack about the flash drive that he had buried in his pocket. What was so important about it?

“Are you sure you can do this?” He asked. She nodded.

“Damn sure.” She said.

“I’ll watch the door, you just focus on getting this junker to blow up.” He said.

“Sounds like fun to me.” She said. “Just give me a few minutes.” She said as she started looking over the pipe works that ran through the room. Heating, cooling, lots of stuff that looked like it may be able to explode under the right conditions. Samu poked his head out the doorway into the hall to see if anyone was coming. Luckily the place was still empty. The Network really needs to up their security, not that he cared at all. The dumber they were, the happier he was.

“You know, there’s a few things we need to get straight right now.” She said.

“And what’s that?” Samu asked.

“What happens when I blow this place to kingdom come?” She asked.

“We run.” Samu said.

“And if they follow?” She asked.

“Run faster.” He said.

“What if one of us falls?” She asked. “I won’t be coming back for you, that’s for damn sure.”

“I won’t be coming back for you either.” Samu said.

“Ouch. The stiff grew some balls.” She said.

“Stiff?” Samu asked.

“Yeah, I think that’s my new name for your kind.” She said.

“My kind?” He asked.

“You know, all uptight and shit. You look like you’ve never had a relaxed day in your life.” She said. Samu heard a loud clanking sound. “Shit!” She said in a hushed yelp.

“You alright?” Samu asked as he looked down the hallway hoping no one heard.

“Yeah, Yeah.” She said. “I’m fine.” She continued, definitely not sounding fine. “We’re good to go, if you’re ready.” She said.

“I’m ready as I’ll ever be.” He said.

“You got a light?” She said.

“What for?” He asked.

“I messed around a little.” She said. “I dropped something.”

“Is it important?” He asked.

“Not really.” She said.

“Then the answer is no.” Samu said. “Blow the thing already.”

“Stand back.” She said, as she hit a button, or flipped a switch, it was hard to tell. It was dark. Whatever she did, it turned the boiler on. And it was loud. The two of them stepped out into the hallway. Samu looked down the hallway, this was bound to attract attention.

“How long will this take?” Samu asked.

“It has to build pressure.” She said.

“How long?” He asked again.

“As long as it takes.” She said.

“Great.” Samu muttered. He saw someone round the corner at the end of the hallway. “Looks like we have a fight on our hands.” He said as he lifted his gun.

“We’ve got company!” The woman at the other end of the hallway yelled, right before Samu shot her right between the eyes. She fell to the ground as blood plastered the wall behind her. Within a second soldiers were pouring into the hallway.

“Well shit.” Azumi mumbled. “Any ideas in that think skull of yours?” She asked.

“Just one.” Samu said.

“And that is?” She asked.

“Spray and pray.” He said as he began firing down the hallway, not aiming. It didn’t matter at this point. He wasn’t really trying to hit anything, but if they thought he had a lot of firepower, it might get them to back off for a while. Azumi was firing too, slowly and non-precisely. She wasn’t lying when she said she wasn’t good with a gun.

But it was good enough, as the soldiers scattered to avoid the fire.

“Any time now, kid.” Samu said.

“I don’t control pressure buildup!” She yelled at him. Just as another bullet left Samu’s gun, he felt himself get swept off his feet by a deafening roar. He felt weightless for half a second, sailing through the air sideways. Staring at the enemies as they sailed through the air too. It was calm in a chaotic sort of way. It was like a sympathy of concussive blast followed by an encore of mortar and dust.

Then of course, gravity took hold. That bastard. Samu smashed into the wall, then fell to the floor with the wind knocked out of him.

Now was the part where all hell broke loose. Samu stood up and stared down the hallway at the only other standing person. A young man with dark hair, green eyes and a light beard. He looked like he should be in a high school class room, not a battle field. And he looked like he wanted to be somewhere else too. He looked at Samu, Samu back at him. Neither move.

That is, for half a second. Azumi grabbed Samu’s arm and pulled him away. Samu quickly snapped back to reality and started running. He stopped for a second, staring at the huge hole in the wall that led into an alleyway. On the other side of the alleyway was a brick building with a part of its own wall blown out.

Samu quit the sightseeing and jumped out into the alleyway, racing after Azumi. Now or never. They came out on an open street.

“What now?” She asked.

“Check the cars, look for keys.” Samu said. Azumi took off towards the nearest car, as did Samu. No such luck in finding any keys in this one. “Find anything?” He asked.

“No, not yet.” She said.

“Keep looking.” Samu said as he moved down towards the next car. He looked in through the window, and nearly jumped when he saw the man slumped over the wheel. He wore a proper business suit, and was obviously dead. But he showed no signs on being killed. Samu shook his head as he looked at the keys in the ignition. “Am I really going to do this?” He asked himself. The answer was yes, as he walked around the front of the car to get to the driver’s side. He pulled door open and pulled the man out. A single small white capsule fell from his hand onto the road. Samu picked it up and looked it over.

“Cyanide.” He whispered to himself as he looked at the dead man. He threw the pill at the man with disgust. Suicide. Pure cowardice. “I got a car over here!” Samu yelled to Azumi.

“Go! Fucking go!” She yelled as she ran towards the car, it became obvious that she was being followed by multiple soldiers. She dove into the passenger side of the grey SUV as Samu pulled the door shut behind him. He twisted the keys and the engine roared to life, without as much as a though Samu floored it, nearly hitting the car in front of him. He could hear the scattered gunfire behind him.

“Where are we going?” She asked.

“Hell if I know.” Samu said. Over the roar of the engine he could hear a faint cadence coming from the radio.

“Wake me up inside, tell me there’s a reason. To take another step, to get up off my knees and follow this path of most resistance. And where ever it takes us, whatever it faces and wherever it leads.”

Two months later

Samu scratched at his rough beard, which had grown wild after being unkempt for two months. So had his hair, which would probably be down to his mid- back by now, had he not kept it up like always.

He paced a few steps, his worn boots thudding against the wood. He leaned against the railing and sighed as he looked out at the vast, never ending woods. They ended at some point, but he hadn’t ventured out of here in two months. A new world might lay on the other side.

He lifted the mug to his lips and took a sip of the hot coffee. It was almost like a normal morning, if the entire world wasn’t dissolving around him as he went on.

It was almost a funny thought to think about; somebody, somewhere here in the United States has no clue that they’re in the middle of a war. And they probably won’t. It’s weird hos isolated some people are.

‘Keep calm and carry on’

The inscription on the ‘borrowed’ mug almost made him laugh. Only if that guy knew what was happening now. Maybe then it’d be something like;

‘Keep calm and… Nevermind! Run for your lives!’

Probably not really. That guy probably would’ve been dead a long time ago. Samu pursed his lips and whistled a familiar tune into the woods. It was peaceful here, a place to forget the world, but also to remember it.

“You’re up way to early.” She said. Samu turned around and looked at her. She was the only other person here at the cabin in the woods other than him and Azumi, and Samu didn’t see much of Azumi.

“I like to watch the sunrise.” Samu said. “The forest comes alive in the morning.”

“A lot of things come alive in the morning.” She said, flipping her dark hair over her shoulder. She looked at him with her dark brown eyes.

“Coffee?” He asked.

“Hell yes.” She said.

“It’s in the kitchen.” Samu said.

“I am so glad you get up early.” She said. “Otherwise, I wouldn’t have coffee in the morning.” She smiled.

“Samu, Lilah.” Azumi said as she joined in. “Morning.”

“The gang’s all here.” Samu said.

“Looks like.” Lilah said with a smile.

“So, I think I’ll head out and check the traps today. See if we got anything good.” She said.

“Good, we’re running low on meat.” Samu said.

“We’re good on vegetables.” Lilah said.

“You made damn sure of that.” Samu said.

“I can’t help it.” She said. “I’m a natural.”

“That you are.” Samu said.

“I’m so glad you found this place.” Lilah said.

“I am too.” Azumi said.

“So am I.” Samu said. “I’m glad we’re all here.” He said.

“What’s that?” Lilah asked, looking up. Samu looked up too, noticing the small parachute floating downwards. It landed on the wooden porch next to him. Samu looked at it.

“Aren’t you going to open it?” Azumi asked.

“I don’t know who it’s from.” Samu said.

“Only one way to find out.” Lilah said.

“Fine.” Samu said. “Stand back, just in case this goes sideways.” Samu said as he picked up the small capsule attached to the parachute. He twisted the metal lid off and looked inside, a piece of paper was rolled and stuffed in it.

“Go on.” Azumi urged him. Samu pulled the paper out and unrolled it, looking at it.

‘They’re not real, Samu. You know that. We’ve warned you, we are coming.’ It said.

“What does it say?” Lilah asked.

“Get your stuff, we’re leaving.” Samu said.

“What?” Azumi asked. Samu looked up at them, and only caught a glimpse of nothing. No one was standing there, no one was anywhere near him. He looked down at the paper in his hands, it wasn’t there anymore. It was gone. The capsule was gone. The parachute was gone. The woods around him began disappearing, the cabin faded.

“No!” Samu yelled as he surged forward. The light began to dissipate around him. He was trudging blindly through darkness.

“Wake up already.” Azumi’s voice penetrated his thoughts. He opened his eyes and looked around at the canvas of the tent. He spotted her sitting nearby.

“Y-You’re real, right?” He asked.

“Yes, I’m real.” She said, shaking her head. “What happened to you?” She asked.

“Nothing happened to me.” He said.

“It doesn’t look like it.” She said.

“I’m fine.” He said.

“No you’re not.” She said. “You’re living in two separate realities and you have no idea which one’s the real one.” She said.

“I’m fine.” Samu said. “What happened, why am I here?” He asked. She pursed her lips.

“You attacked a guard, they had sedate you.” She said.

“I- I never did that.” Samu said.

“You don’t think you did.” She said. “You don’t remember anything, every time it happens, Samu. You’re becoming more dangerous. You’re in and out of reality, you can’t even trust yourself.” She said.

“If I ignore it, it will go away.” Samu said as he sat up.

“That’s what you think, Samu.” Azumi said. “It’s only getting worse.”

“But I know it’s not real.” Samu said.

“But you don’t act like it.” She said.

“What do you want me to do?” He asked.

“I want you to go see Watson.” She said.

“Why? So he can tell me what I already know? That I’m insane.” Samu said.

“Samu, you’re not insane.” She said. “Just go see the doctor, please. Do it for me. And if you can’t do it for me, do it for yourself. You owe it to yourself to try to get better.” She said.

“They’ll just call me crazy.” Samu said.

“They already are.” She said. “You’re delusional. Attacking people. This won’t stop until you get it treated.” She said.

Choice

[Agree to see the doctor]

[refuse to visit the doctor]

• [Agree to see the doctor]

Damn, looks like Samu is totally loosing it. If I got Azumi the right way, he has a pretty severe case of schizophrenia. The bad thing is, we actually can't even be sure if this current reality, where Azumi asks of him to see the doctor, is real. I mean, the forest definitely wasn't real, but there is no guarantee that this is real. A bit like Inception, you know? But if it is real, then he should definitely go and see this doctor, because he clearly needs help. I am also wondering, perhaps his dream, with the forest, the parachute and all could be related to the prophetic dreams and cryptic hints some of the other characters had. Now, I am most likely interpreting too much into what might very well just be Samu's fragile mental health, but since he is among the main characters who hadn't had one of these strange dreams yet, I guess it is only a matter of time since the source of the dreams targets him as well. Which just made me wonder, are these dreams a one-time deal, or do Katie, Lucia and Santiago continue to have them?

Samu Kuusi He narrowed his eyes at the girl. He still didn’t know whether to trust her or not, and he still didn’t know jack about the fl

Refusing to visit the doctor wont make his problems go away.

Samu Kuusi He narrowed his eyes at the girl. He still didn’t know whether to trust her or not, and he still didn’t know jack about the fl

First off, sorry for not voting for a while (again). Will be doing so from now on again, since I have most of my shit dealt with now.

Damn Samu, you're really starting to lose it, ain't ya? Visiting the doctor is probably better than dealing with this shit alone. I certainly hope he gets the grip of reality soon.

• Hey, no problem. Welcome back.

[Agree to see the doctor] First off, sorry for not voting for a while (again). Will be doing so from now on again, since I have most of m

• Lucia Martinez

Lucia looked at Felix, and Felix back at her. He wasn’t going anywhere until he gave him an answer. She shook her head and decided her answer.

“Fine. When and where?” She asked. His grin just got bigger.

“Meet me at the west side in about an hour.” He said. “And be prepared to do a little walking.”

“Already sounds fun.” Lucia said. “See you then.” She said.

“I would hope.” He said. “Don’t be standing me up now.” He said. Lucia rolled her eyes.

“I wasn’t planning on it.” Lucia said.

“See you then.” He said.

“Yeah, I’ll see you then.” Lucia said, as she turned and began walking away. Maybe it would be a good experience, she didn’t get outside often. She was always cramped up in her apartment or working somewhere. The outside of the town wasn’t really a concern to her anymore. The Network hadn’t been bothering them in a long time. It almost seemed as if they’d retreated off the coasts and towards the midland.

Lucia walked on down the cracked road back towards the center of town. The lab that had exploded apparent weaponized viruses was on the outer edge, and for good reason apparently. It still bugged her, the fact that they were researching on making weaponized viruses. This is the beginning of like every end of the world film.

None the less, she knew that no matter what she said or did nothing would change. She’d learned of the past months to save her breath for things she can change. And come to think about it, there wasn’t much she really could change in the end.

She looked over her note pad once more, if she’d gotten anything wrong that building could collapse with people inside. Those people’s lives were in her hands, it made her feel almost powerful… In a sick way.

She ran her hand through her dark hair. It had grown undeniably longer in the past months. There was a time her hair was shorter than her brother’s, but now it was almost down to her shoulders. She didn’t hate having long hair, it just wasn’t her favorite. It was always in the way. How did everyone else always do it?

She saw her apartment up the street on her right. She was glad to live in the town. It was safe, secure, and it had electricity and water. What more could you want? The answer, as it would turn out, is a lot. Give people some luxuries and all they’ll want is more. Some of the things the residents argue about are so absurd you’d think that the world was fine and everything is as it should be. Not that if you walked twenty minutes in the wrong direction you’d be shot dead by a gang or something.

Yeah, the Network’s withdrawn from the coast, but they left behind a bunch of gangs. Lucia really didn’t know who was worse, at least the Network would kill you when they were done with you.

She stepped up to the white door and pushed it open, she quit leaving it locked for multiple reasons. One: Nobody here’s going to break into someone’s house. Two: She didn’t have anything worth stealing. And Three: If someone broke into her house, Langston would hunt them down himself. She, for once in her life, felt welcome here.

She stepped in, pulling the door shut behind her. The apartment was cramped, one story, one bedroom, one bathroom. But, it was just for her, so it was perfect. It was also dark, they did have electricity in the town but it felt wrong to Lucia to be wasting electricity on lighting when they had a perfectly good sun only 93 million miles away.

Hey, in times like these, renewable energy is the best energy. It’s not like people are lining up to go mining coal in the middle of a war. Or lining up to import oil and gas. Or transport it. But the sun, the wind, and the water, those things don’t seem to be fazed at all by the war.

Puny Earthlings: 0 Sun: 1

Lucia threw her notepad onto the coffee table and flopped down on the ratty old couch. Yeah, the thing was falling apart and smelled like she pulled it out of a landfill, but it’s more than she had when she got here. She went weeks just sleeping on the floor, then her upstairs neighbor threw this couch out because it was falling apart and Lucia gladly gave it a new home. Sometimes she wonders if her upstairs neighbor knows that she has his couch. He probably couldn’t care less, he and his wife probably built a new one.

“You really should clean this place up a bit.” A voice spoke from the kitchen as they walked into the living room where Lucia sat. Lucia would’ve been startled, but she’d gotten used to the unannounced appearances.

“You don’t have a job Alex, you can do it.” Lucia said. Alex smiled and shook her head.

“Sure, whatever.” Alex said. “Looks like you’ve got yourself a date tonight.” She said.

“It’s not a date.” Lucia defended.

“You keep telling yourself that. Right up to the point he tries to make a move on you.” She said.

“What are you trying to get at, Alex?” Lucia asked.

“Nothing.” Alex said, shaking her head. “I just thought it was nice how much you were actually trying to be a human again.” She said.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Lucia asked.

“For a month after you got here you’d barely leave the house.” Alex said. “And now you’re going on a date.”

“For God’s sake, it’s not a date.” Lucia snapped at her. Alex laughed.

“I always know just how to get on your nerves.” She said.

“Of course you do.” Lucia said. She smiled. “Why do I even keep you around?” She asked.

“Because you can’t get rid of me.” Alex said.

“Well, that’s one reason.” Lucia said.

“And you’re just happy to have me around.” She said.

“That’s another.” Lucia said. Alex shifted her weight to the other leg.

“Well, seeing as you’re not about to kick me out of your apartment, I’ll let you get back to your date.” Alex said, as she turned and began walking away.

“It’s not a date.” Lucia mumbled. Alex looked back over her shoulder at Lucia with a smirk, then continued to disappear out of her view. Lucia rolled her eyes and looked out the window, the sun had already began to set. This really sucked. The sun set so early nowadays. Damn you winter. Damn you.
    Really thinking about it, there had been no real point in coming back to the apartment other than to waste time. It was already probably about time to leave. She didn’t really care, but she wasn’t just going to set the kid up and then leave him out to dry.

She sighed as she stood up and began walking towards the door. She pulled it open but stopped before she walked out.

“Don’t burn the house down while I’m gone.” She said, and with no response she left. She stepped out into the quickly-darkening outside. It was still light enough to easily see, and it would be a full moon tonight, there’d be enough light to get around fine. Any half-wit like herself could easily see far enough ahead of them to not fall on their face. Possibly.

The west side of the town really wasn’t far. It was five minutes of she followed the road, two if she cut through the field. Lucia herself could probably walk from the north side of the town all the way to the south side in about ten minutes. They were still small, but big in so many ways.

Trudging through the tall grass, she silently cursed the world for continuing to grow unchecked in the face of all this. Someone fire up the damn lawn mower and show mother nature who’s boss on this planet. And it sure as hell isn’t her.

Actually, scratch that. She is. We’re already fighting a war, no reason to start another one with the planet they inhabit.

As she walked she whistled an old tune that had hung in her mind for quite some time. She didn’t remember the words or the title, It was some old pop song, but she remembered the tune. And that was all that was important really.

Whatever happened to pop music? Whatever happened to music in general? As it would turn out, it’s making a resurgence. A group of guys went scavenging at a nearby collage, when they showed back up they were hauling guitars, violins, a banjo and a lot more. Lucia herself was expecting something like food or clothes, but music is more than nothing.

Out of the very limited instruments, small bands were formed. It was almost beautiful to hear them playing an acoustic cover of Fortunate Son or some old rock song. But it was sad, there was never any pop music. Every once in a while some of the small bands would get together and just play music, all night long. For no real reason other than the hell of playing.

Camp Birchwood, or Arcadia as it was coming to be known by some residents, was a peaceful place. It was definitely different than the fast-paced life that was outside. It honestly was a welcome change now. Definitely more welcome than getting shot at.

She looked up at the tall oak tree that had come to mark the western edge of the town. Boundaries really didn’t matter here, but if you were killed outside the ‘town limits’ it wasn’t the towns problem. She saw Felix leaning against the tree, wearing a leather bomber jacket and an olive colored backpack. Once she got near he turned around and smiled.

She was able to get a better look at him now, without the hazmat suit and now that she wasn’t trying to ignore him. He had long jet-black hair and blue eyes.

“I knew you’d come around.” He said. “You just couldn’t resist.” He went on jokingly.

“Don’t flatter yourself.” Lucia said. The comment only seemed to make his smile bigger. “Do you always have to smile or something?” She remarked.

“Yes, in fact I do. There’s a sniper trained on the back of my head at all times, and if I don’t smile, he’ll shot.” He said.

“Damn you.” Lucia said. “Where are we going?” She asked.

“I could tell you, but that would take all the surprise out of it.” He said.

“If I’m going to be tromping around the woods in the dark with someone I barely know, I’d like to know where I’m going.” Lucia said.

“Fair enough.” He said. “We’re going to a place me and some of my buddies found a while back. You see that hill?” He asked, pointing up a large hill that really wasn’t big enough to be a mountain but was damn near close. “We’re going up there.”

“And you couldn’t have picked a better time of day?” Lucia asked.

“Night time is the best time.” He said. “Once we get to the top, you’ll understand.”

“If we get to the top.” She remarked.

“I’ve gotten up to the top in under ten minutes.” He said.

“Were you flying?” Lucia asked.

“You said you thought you had what it took to be with Delta, let’s see if you can keep pace.” He said.

“So this entire thing was really just about you trying to see if I can run up the side of a mountain without dying?” Lucia asked.

“Yeah, you in or not?” He asked. Lucia looked up the mountain.

“Yeah, I am definitely in.” She said.

“Just try to keep up, and if you lose sight of me, just keep going upwards.” He said, as he turned and took off running. Lucia took off running too, matching her pace with his. He was moving at a light jog, something told Lucia this wasn’t his normal pace.

“You know, I really don’t know you at all.” Lucia said.

“That’s how I like it. Shrouded in mystery, then gone the next day.” He said with a small laugh. “What did you want to know?”

“I don’t know, who are you? Where are you from? What did you do? Shit like that.” Lucia said.

“Twenty questions, huh?” He asked. “Alright, you asked. You already know my name, I’m from up near Buffalo. I was hoping to get in a career as a microbiologist before shit hit the fan.” He said.

“You, a microbiologist? I just can’t see it.” Lucia said.

“There’s a lot of things you can’t see. Doesn’t mean they’re not real.” He said. “How much can I trust you?”

“Depends on where you’re going with that statement.” Lucia said.

“Like, if I told you my darkest secret would you tell anyone else?” He asked.

“I guess not.” Lucia said.

“Good enough.” He said. “Back in my time with Delta, we were on an op in a town east of here a ways. Just a simple turn and burn to drive out any gang activity in the area. As it would turn out, the town was inhabited.” He said.

“Yeah?” Lucia asked.

“We weren’t told about that little fact, and when we saw people we assumed them to be hostile. We opened fire, and I alone killed three unarmed civilians. I think I might have just earned myself a ticket on the fast-track to hell.” He said and after a short pause continued. “So that’s my secret, you got anything to say?” He asked. Lucia remained silent. “Oh, come on. I spilled my guts to you. At least show me you have feelings.”

“I don’t think I want to tell anyone.” Lucia said.

“You I’ll be gone, back with Delta in a few days. I can’t go telling everyone about you if I’m not here.” He said.

“Fine, if you really have to know.” Lucia said.

“I want to know.” He said.

“I talk to a dead person.” Lucia said. He stopped dead in his tracks. Lucia stopped to, happy to take a break.

“What?” He asked.

“Yeah, I talk to a dead person. Her name is Alex. She got shot and died three months ago. I know she’s dead, but I talk to her. She was my brother’s girlfriend or something like that. But it doesn’t really matter because neither of them are around anymore.” She said.

“What happened to your brother?” He asked.

“He got shot. He’s been in a coma for three months.” Lucia said.

“Damn, that’s rough.” He said. “I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Isn’t everyone.” Lucia mumbled.

“Hey, is your brother Santiago?” He asked.

“Yeah, how did you know?” She asked.

“A while back I was doing some work as a medic. I took care of this kid who’d been in a coma. Never even thought about it just until now.” He said. “So, uh… Let’s get up this mountain.” He said as he looked up. They’d stopped nearly just at the base of the incline. “Try to keep up.” He said as he darted up the side, thought the trees and brush. Lucia quickly followed behind him.

……….

Lucia collapsed, gasping for air. Felix walked over to her, laughing. The guy wasn’t even out of breath.

“You clocked in at 12 minutes 37 seconds.” He said. “If you wanted to know, I got up here in 6 minutes 7 seconds.”

“Yeah.” Lucia wheezed. “Thanks for making me feel like a loser.”

“No, your time was good. Really, if you were part of the squad, you’d be 6th.” He said.

“6th out of what?” She asked.

“Out of 13.” He said.

“What was so important that I had to kill myself to get to the top of this hill?” She asked.

“Look up.” He said. Lucia rolled onto her back, and sure enough. It was worth it. The stars seemed to be shining brighter up here than they ever would back in town. There were so many, it was like little diamonds sprinkling the sky. It was beautiful.

“Wow.” Lucia said.

“Yeah, I know.” He said. “I’d like to point each and every one of them out to you, but I’m sure you don’t care. So...” He said. Lucia stood up and looked around. It was amazing. In every direction, there was no civilization. Just stars. The town was blocked out by the trees.

“You know the stars?” She asked.

“Yeah.” He said. “A few of them.”

“That one.” She said, pointing out a bright star, brighter than the rest.

“That’s Polaris.” He said. “The North star.”

“Wow.” She mumbled.

“You don’t get to see stars like this in town.” He said. “Maybe it you could-“He started talking but was cut off by a blood curdling scream. Felix looked directly to Lucia.

“What was that?” She asked.

“A scream.” He said. “Someone’s in trouble.”

“What do we do?” She asked.

“What do you think we do?” He asked.

“Protocol says we go back to town and find help.” She said.

“Screw the protocol.” He said. “Lucia, rule number one. Fuck protocol. Listen to your gut, not what someone tells you. Someone is out there, possibly hurt or in the process of being hurt.” He said. “I have two guns on me, along with a shit ton of tactical training. If we run back to town, whoever’s out there might die. What does your gut say we do Lucia? What do we do?” He asked.

Choice

[Investigate the scream]

[Go back to town]

• Gosh, that Alex thing is still freaking me out, although I have to admit that it is pretty cool at the same time, in a very weird way. Poor Santiago though, I was already wondering what happened to him during the timeskip, considering that he wasn't mentioned in Lucia's last part.

[Investigate the scream]

Investigaing blood curdling screams in the middle of the night... what could possibly go wrong? In all seriousness though, this is the right thing to do. If someone needs help, they are probably either dead or seriously injured by the time Lucia went through with the protocol, so she has to investigate now.

Lucia Martinez Lucia looked at Felix, and Felix back at her. He wasn’t going anywhere until he gave him an answer. She shook her head and

• [Investigate the scream]

Screw danger, lets be a hero! But I hope this wont put Lucia in danger.

Lucia Martinez Lucia looked at Felix, and Felix back at her. He wasn’t going anywhere until he gave him an answer. She shook her head and

• [Investigate the scream]

• edited February 2016

Carmen Dominguez

The pain called her back. It reached through the veil of darkness and seared into her. It branded her with its own sinister calling card as if it were a living thing. Pain demands to be felt, oddly enough.

The layers of black began to fall, crashing down around her as a world of light unraveled into view. Carmen gritted her teeth and gripped her ribs as she shot up. Pain seared throughout her side.

Breathing heavily she looked around the room she was in. There was a window, and beyond that; sky. There was no land. They were moving, Carmen could tell that much. Was she in a helicopter? How did she get here?

Her eyes drifted around the cabin, finding a large bag on the floor nearby. But she recognized this as not just any bag, but it was a body bag. And someone was within it.

Carmen took a breath and tried to force herself to stand but found she couldn’t. One, pain. And two, someone held her back.

“Easy there.” A voice said. Carmen looked back and saw a man sitting behind her in one of the helicopter’s seats. Carmen reached for her gun, only to find it wasn’t there.

“Who are you?” Carmen asked, brushing the pain aside.

“My name’s Thomas.” He said. “The same people that saved you helped me and my friend.”

“Who’s your friend?” She asked.

“She’s dead.” Thomas said. “On her way to Russia.” Carmen laid back down. It hurt too much to sit up, and she could tell just by the way he spoke he wasn’t going to hurt her.

“Who’s in the bag?” Carmen asked, looking towards the body bag.

“I think that’s something your friend should tell you, not me.” Thomas said.

“And what friend are we talking about? Not that I have many of those.” Carmen said.

“Her name is Ann.” Thomas said. Carmen’s blood instantly boiled with anger.

“Ann? That bitch! She fucking drugged me!” Carmen yelled.

“She might have left that part out during the introductions.” Thomas said. “Let me go get her.” He said as he stood up and walked across the small cabin towards the cockpit. He tapped one of the pilot’s shoulders and said something to them. They nodded back and stood up, walking back towards her. Carmen could by then tell that it was Ann.

“You’re awake?” Ann asked. She was wearing a pair of sunglasses that hid her eyes, but Carmen could tell her nose was red and puffy. She’d been crying.

“No.” Carmen said.

“Good to have you back on this side of death.” Ann said.

“Come here.” Carmen said, waving Ann closer. Ann shuffled over to her and crouched down next to her. Carmen quickly balled her fist and hit Ann across the face. “I swear if you ever drug me again, I will end you. You understand?” she asked. Ann nodded as she rubbed her cheek.

“Yeah. Hopefully that’ll never need to happen again.” Ann said.

“Good.” Carmen said, as she wrapped her arms around Ann, hugging her. “Thank you.” She said, before releasing.

“I wasn’t going to let you off the hook so easily.” Ann said. “You’re the one that dragged me into this mess. And we still have a certain Jason Stryker to take out.”

“Damn right. And a glorious day it’ll be when his head is on a pike outside his own corporate army’s headquarters.” Carmen said. “Just one thing though.” She said.

“What’s that?” Ann asked.

“Who’s in the bag?” Carmen asked. Any hint of a smile left Ann’s face as she shifted backwards. She stood and walked over to the body bag.

“I’m sorry, Carmen. I am.” Ann said as she pulled the zipper back, only far enough to reveal a young girl’s face. But that’s all Carmen needed. She didn’t need any explanation to understand who that was. Riley was dead.

“How?” Carmen asked. “How’d she die?”

“Internal bleeding. By the time the medic’s caught it, it was too late.” Ann said. Carmen set her jaw, she felt like she should be feeling something now. Remorse, sorry, pain… Actually, she had the pain part down. Every time she breathed it felt like a fire was being set in her chest. Carmen took a breath and breathed it out, savoring the pain in between.

“What’s our next move?” Carmen asked.

“What do you mean?” Ann asked.

“I mean, how do we proceed from here? What’s our next mission, what’s our goal?” Carmen asked. Ann shook her head.

“Carmen, you just woke up. Riley is dead, you seriously can’t be-“ Ann was cut off by Carmen.

“Yeah, Riley’s dead. And sitting around ain’t going to do shit about it.” Carmen said. “If we ever want to do anything, we have to act against our enemy. They won’t be coming to us.”

“Carmen, what happened to you?” Ann asked. “Don’t you have any feelings?” Carmen narrowed her eyes at Ann.

“ ‘Feelings’ got Riley killed. ‘Feelings’ cause conflict. ‘Feelings’ only get in the way of the bigger picture. So yeah, you can say I’m done with feeling.” Carmen said.

“You’re awake?” A young girl’s voice asked. Carmen narrowed her eyes, for a second she thought she was hearing Riley’s voice. Her head spun around, and she saw a girl. She had red-ish hair, blue eyes and pale skin.

“Who are you?” Carmen asked.

“Ann.” The girl said. “Ann Riley.” Just hearing the name ‘Riley’ sent something through Carmen’s body. It was in no way guilt, it wasn’t shame, it wasn’t sorrow… It was anger. Just hearing the name sparked anger.

“She got us into Alcatraz. Got us out, too.” Thomas said as he rejoined the conversation. Carmen looked over and saw there was another pilot now in the seat where Ann was sitting.

“ETA 5 minutes. We still haven’t made radio contact.” The pilot said.

“Copy that.” Older Ann said, then turned to Carmen. “We’re headed to Cormack Station. That’s our first step.” She said harshly.

Carmen once again forced herself to sit up. It hurt like all hell, but she wasn’t going to go through the humiliation of having to ask for help to stand. She may be hurt, but she wasn’t going to ask for help. Not anymore.

“What are you doing?” Thomas asked.

“Once this tin can lands, I’m going to walk as far away from this place as I can. And then I’m going to find a gun and go kill Jason Stryker.” Carmen said. Ann huffed.

“You know Carmen, there’s a difference between bravery and stupidity.” Ann said.

“And I enjoy using the line like a jump rope.” Carmen said.

“Why are you being such a bitch?” Ann asked.

“Me? A bitch?” Carmen asked. “You’re the one that fucking drugged me.”

“Is that what this is all about?” Ann asked. “You’re mad at me for using drugs on you so I could move you to get help?” She asked.

“Maybe I am.” Carmen said.

“I’m sorry I saved your life.” Ann said.

“Will you two place just shut the fuck up!” The younger Ann yelled. Both Carmen and Ann stopped and turned to look at the girl who, no older than 16, just told off two heavily trained mercenaries.

“Since when did the kid grow some balls?” Carmen asked.

“Fuck you.” Young Ann said, staring at Carmen. “We have bigger problems than your little temper tantrum.” She said, as she looked back out the window.

“And what’s that?” Carmen asked.

“The camp’s gone.” She said.

“What?” The older Ann asked as she leaned over and looked out the window. Her jaw dropped. Carmen couldn’t resist. She forced herself to stand and walked over to the window, leaning against it. She was right.

The entire camp was in ruins. It didn’t take a genius to tell that a bombing run had come through here.

“So much for that option.” Carmen said as the helicopter began descending. As it touched the ground, Ann pulled the door back and jumped out onto the sandy ground. Everyone else followed. Carmen was the last out, she took it slowly and painfully. But when she was out of the chopper, on the ground she stood up straight. She scanned the area, a few feet in front of her was a dead guard by the looks of her. She was laying on her back, on top of her gun. Blood was flowing from her mouth onto the ground. Her eyes stared directly forward into the abyss.

Carmen shuffled forwards towards her. When Carmen was close enough, she crouched down next to her and flipped the body over. There were multiple dime-sized hole in her chest. She’d been shot. Recently. Carmen read the guard’s nametag. ‘Kilian’. Poor girl. She grabbed the dead guard’s rifle and stood up, facing the rest of the group who were sifting through the rubble.

“She was shot.” Carmen said.

“Tell me something new.” Ann shot back.

“She was shot recently.” Carmen said. “Whoever did this could still be around.”

“Good to know.” Ann said.

“Look around, someone could be alive.” Thomas said.

“Does it look like anyone’s alive?” Carmen asked.

“Yes! Over there!” The younger Ann shouted as she pointed to her left. Carmen look and saw a young boy shuffling towards them. Carmen raised her gun.

“Elias?” Older Ann asked.

“It’s me.” The boy responded.

“What happened?” Ann asked.

“You guys left. The traitor got back to her group with intel, and they attacked.” Elias said.

“Is there anyone alive?” Carmen asked.

“If there’s anyone alive, they won’t be for long.” Elias said. “There’s a clean-up crew coming through here soon. Anything in the area’s as good as gone.” Carmen looked through the ruins of the camp and saw a group of Humvees slowly moving towards them.

“Would that by any chance be your ‘clean-up crew’?” Carmen asked, pointing out the Humvees.

“Oh shit! Run!” Elias said.

“Get to the chopper!” Thomas yelled as he took off running. Everyone dived onboard and Ann signaled the pilot. Seconds later they were airborne. Carmen could see the Humvees squealing to a halt. Carmen saw a man jump out of one of the Humvees holding something that looked like a tree branch.

“RPG!” Carmen yelled, just as the rocket left the launcher. Carmen watched helplessly as it sailed upwards, careening into the helicopter. The explosion shook the entire cabin, Carmen was thrown to the ground.

“We’re going down!” The pilot yelled.

“No shit!” Carmen yelled out of spite.

…………

Carmen began to crawl away from the wreckage, one arm at a time. She just couldn’t walk, not right now. She looked back and saw the burning wreck. Riley was still in there. Maybe everyone else.

Burial by helicopter crash? That’s one hell of a new-age Viking burial.

“What do we have here?” A man asked. Carmen felt a heavy boot crush down on her hand. Not hard, just hard enough she couldn’t move.

“What do you want?” Carmen asked.

“I’m under official Network business, bringing in and fugitives I find.” He said. “Looks like I found another.”

“How many do you have?” Carmen asked.

“One Thomas, two Ann’s.” He responded as he pulled Carmen to her feet. “Let’s go, don’t make it harder than it needs to be.” He said, sounding bored. Carmen began to shuffle forward aware of the gun on her back.

“You know, I can help you.” Carmen said.

“How’s that?” He asked.

“I’m an experienced sniper. I have skills that’ll put any of your guys to shame.” Carmen said.

“And you’d willingly work for the Network?” He asked.

“That’s what mercenaries do.” Carmen said. “We fight for the winning team.” He laughed,

“And I’d guess you’d be expecting payment?” He asked.

“You’re smarter than you look.” Carmen said. He laughed again, sounding pleased with himself.

“Consider yourself hired.” He said.

“Really? That easily?” She asked.

“Hell yeah.” He said. “Welcome to the team.”

“When do I get my gun back?” She asked.

“When we can trust you.” He said.

“Fair enough.” Carmen said and she saw her group being ushered into the backs of the Humvees.

“Hey, this is the new recruit.” He called to the other Network agents. One looked up.

“Looks like a fighter.” He said.

“She is.” He assured him.

“Let’s hit the road.” The other man said. Carmen barely caught the glare Ann was giving her. She’d just sold out to the enemy.

Three months later

“Nice work today.” Glaz said.

“That? That was easy.” Carmen said.

“That shot was over two-thousand yards away.” Glaz said. Carmen shrugged.

“Like I said, easy.” She said.

“You saved lives today.” He said as he sat down at the table. Carmen said down next to him.

“It’s all in a day’s work.” Carmen said.

“Are you planning on putting us all to shame?” Banshee said as she sat down across from Carmen. Carmen smiled.

“Only the weak ones.” Carmen said.

“Alright, I got the numbers in. Smoke, your shot was two-thousand seventy-six yards.” Six said as he walked in.

Six, Banshee, Glaz… They all gave themselves new names once they joined the Network. It showed they’d turned away from their old lives. It was easy for Carmen, she had no attachment to her name, mostly because that’s all it was to her. A name. Sentiment goes away when you lose all your memories.

She picked Smoke because it reminded her of herself. It was mysterious, one second here, the next gone. Impossible to contain.

“That’s all it was?” She asked.

“You broke the squad record.” Banshee said.

“And what was that?” Carmen asked.

“One-thousand nine-hundred and seventy-two. Held by Glaz.” Six said. Glaz sighed, and cupped Carmen’s shoulder. He smiled.

“I must now relinquish my crown to the most honorable among us.” Glaz said. “Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you, squad queen Smoke!” He said, happily. The title of squad king or queen mean nothing really, it was just a self-appointed title showing that the title-holder was the most capable of the group. Carmen smiled.

“I think this calls for a drink.” Six said as he walked through the trashed room, over to a book case. He shuffled thorough the books until her found bottle of vodka.

“Six, you’ve been holding out on me bud.” Carmen said, jokingly.

“That’s because I knew if I told you, you’d chug the damn thing.” He said.

“True enough.” Carmen said as he began to pour glasses. Once he was done, everybody grabbed one.

“To Smoke, the squad queen. May your reign be one for the ages.” Glaz said.

“To Nasington. May we be the best there is.” Banshee said. Nasinton was their self-appointed group name. They were an elite tactical group used in anything too difficult for the everyday Joe. Everyone was a trained sniper, but Carmen and Glaz were the only to designated snipers. Banshee was more of a assault rifle person and Six was… He’s six. He scrapped a .50 cal from one of the scrap Humvees and it’s been his baby ever since.

“To the righteous fight.” Six said. Nobody believed that except him. He was a loyalist to the Network. The rest of them were just along for the ride.

“To fighting for no real God-damned reason.” Carmen said.

“Here.” Glaz said. Together the four of them downed their glasses. The burn was a welcome one.

“Now, we’ve got the rest of the day off.” Glaz said. “Use your time wisely. You won’t get another day in a while.” He said, as he stood up and walked through the door.

“Understood.” Carmen said.

“Smoke, what are you doing today?” Banshee asked.

“I’m going to go catch up with an old friend.” Carmen said.

“Your friend is still in prison?” Six asked.

“All three of them.” Carmen said.

“Go on then, don’t let us hold you up.” Banshee said. “Afterwards, if you’d like, meet the two of us at the range. I think I finally found something I can kick your ass in.”

“Doubt it.” Carmen said as she walked away. She pushed through the door into the sunny outside. The dusty ground slid under her boots as she walked. Prison wasn’t far.

She pushed the glass door open and walked in. Thankfully it was air-conditioned.

“Smoke.” A the clerk said. “Nice work today, you know where to find your friend.” He said.

“Really? I just wanted to have you tour me around the prison today.” Carmen said.

“If you insist.” He said standing up.

“Sit down.” Carmen said he laughed and waved her on. Carmen walked into the prison. By now she had the layout memorized. One left, one right. Second cell on the right. There she was, still sleeping on the rusted old bunk in an orange jumpsuit. Carmen knocked on the metal bars and she sat up.

“Smoke.” She said.

“Ann.” Carmen said. She no longer found it odd that one of her oldest friends was now calling her by a nickname. Ann stood and walked over to the bars, dropping her voice into a whisper.

“How’s it going?” She asked.

“I’ve got Glaz and Banshee on my side. Six is a loyalist. He’s not budging. Glaz is seeing what he can do to round up some more support. Banshee is setting up a plan.” Carmen said.

“Good to hear. Two months of planning might pay off soon.” Ann said.

“We’ll be on our way to the top in no time.” Carmen said.

“Lot of people are going to die, Smoke.” Ann said.

“Doesn’t bother me a bit.” Carmen said. “They may not be bad people, but they knew what they were getting into when they signed up.” She said.

“Good luck.” Ann said. Carmen nodded as Ann walked back over to the cot and sat down. Carmen walked away. As she walked out of the prison she was stopped by a man. Jacob Lemmings, one of the only high ranking officers in the camp.

“Smoke.” He said.

“Lemmings, sir.” Carmen said, saluting him.

“I’ve got a task for you, should you be up for it.” He said.

“Depends on what it is.” Carmen said.

“I just need someone to give coverage on a drop. Twenty minutes, tops. My promise.” He said.

“What’s the risk assessment?” She asked.

“Next to none. Enemy forces have all but vacated the area. Any resistance will be very light. Nothing you and a handful of bullets can’t handle.” He said. “You up for it?” He asked. Carmen looked at him. This was more than likely a test of her loyalty. If she said no, she was unloyal and unwilling to do what was needed. If she took the job, she was ready and able. Or it could just be that, just a job. Nothing more. Ever since she joined the Network, her life had been full of second guessing and looking over her shoulder. She didn’t know if she could trust anyone.

Choice

[Take the job]

[Decline]

• edited January 2016

[Take the job]

That was a great part! The final moments before the timeskip happened really shocked me and for a moment, I was prepared to hate Carmen for joining the Network. And then all got turned upside down again when Carmen talked to Ann in the prison. I have to say, that is an awesome trick she is playing on the Network here. She really got me for a moment :D

Carmen Dominguez The pain called her back. It reached through the veil of darkness and seared into her. It branded her with its own sinis

• [Take the job]

Carmen Dominguez The pain called her back. It reached through the veil of darkness and seared into her. It branded her with its own sinis

• [Take the job]

• [Take the job]

Sign in to comment in this discussion.