okay

edit: working on it

GDI

Theme Music

HSR-98 Nomad
    Experimental HSR

edit: spoiler tag test

mr.quality posted: »

Alirght then. I said it was fine by me, though I don't know ho well I'll be able to incorporate all of your ideas. I'll try my hardest however.

• 1.) How are you liking the story thus far? What's your favorite part and why?
    I like the story very much. I think I am following it for a year and I enjoyed every part of it and it is one of my favorite stories out of all the stories I have read here. My favorite part was when you introduced Lester, because he was so much like I wanted him to be. Another part that sticked with me was the part on Alcatraz, I liked the atmosphere you have created there. I also liked the part where Katie and Samu met each other, it is always cool to see two main characters interacting with each other.

2.)What's your least favorite part and why?
    The part where Lester died ;) Just kidding of course, I dont have a least favorite part. I did not like that Lester died but I liked the way he died, if that makes any sense.

3.) Who's your favorite character, why?
    Got to say its either Katie or Lucia. With Katie I like her general personality and how she is so tough that she recovered from this attempt on her life and still manages to kick ass. I also like that she interacted with Lester of course and how she gives his death a meaning.

4.) Least favorite character and why?
    Coates because he murdered Lester and Zero! I dont have another least favorite yet but as Liquid said, Jack Hunter hasnt been the most likeable person as well.

5.) What do you think is going to happen next?
    Now that Dillon is going to Ohio (I think?), I think we will see more parts from his perspective. And maybe it was not a good decision to send him and Maya to go there, that could get them killed. Also I think the Network will suffer at least a partial defeat in one storyline and will loose something valuable, like a state. California or Ohio are the most likely states for that.

6.) What do you like best about this story?
    The storyline and how the characters interact with each other. Like I said in the first question, I enjoyed the interaction between Katie and Samu a lot and I wish for interactions between the other main characters as well. And I like how the storyline develops and how the story is getting bigger and bigger and better.

7.) What do you like least about this story?
    Nothing! I cant criticize your writing because it is so freaking awesome. Liquid brought up some points but I dont see them as so bad. I have no problems here and dont see anything I like the least.

8.) So, by now you must've realized that nobody is ever safe in any of my stories. Who do you think is in the most danger right now? Who do you think (If any) will die first?
    To be honest, I could see Lucia dying. She is in the most danger right now and there is the biggest chance for her to die. Another character I think is in a lot of danger is either Dillon or Maya, probably Maya more than Dillon. But I hope no one of the main cast dies, they are all so nice characters.

9.) Rain or sun? Snow or rain?
    Sun and snow, that is my favorite weather. We have that very often in the winter where I live and its great weather for skiing.

10.) Anything else you'd like to ask me or just say?
    I have nothing to ask, so I just agree with Liquid on this, you are very talented. Thank you for writing for us!

So, this is like the second time I've done this... But I'm doing it again. I'm going to step away for a little bit, maybe a week or more. I

• just noticed it, congrats on exactly 2 years forum birthday

• Huh.I didn't realize it'd been that long already. Strange how time flies.

joriandrake posted: »

just noticed it, congrats on exactly 2 years forum birthday

• Kase Arnold. Pentagon, day of the attacks

GPS. Global communications. Satellites. The internet.

The things that connect you to the outside world. You all feel so safe and sound in the web of lies spun so delicately for you. You think you’re invincible.

Truth be told, all it takes is a small prod in the right place and this web that held everything together comes unraveled, collapsing you. Trapping you.

He now walked down a secure hallway, one he had no way to access. How did he get here? Ask the dead bodies outside the door.

The hallway was cool, it had to be. Computers don’t like the heat.

He had no intentions on taking it easy on these machines. But as of now, they were important to him. The diagnostics terminal was mounted on the wall, all he had to do was flash it a stole ID card. He reached deep into the pocket of his trench coat, he pulled out a small device. One small invention that would change the world in moments.

It would upload a virus to the system, the system would begin forwarding it to every other computer within its jurisdiction and those computers would bounce the virus to other computers and phone towers and within minutes, this virus would blanket the entire United States.

What would this virus be doing? Scrambling signals. Nothing in, nothing out. The United States would become a black box to anything outside. Long-range signals would be caught in the blanket of scrambling and smothered out as if they never existed. Short-range however would still work due to the differing frequencies.

He placed the device against the wall, a small red light appeared as it synced itself with the maintenance terminal. Thirty seconds to go. He pulled a cell phone out of his pocket, quickly pressing the first contact on his speed dial. A man located somewhere in Russia.

“Da?” A voice spoke after precious moments wasted away.

“Chernoye utro.” Kase responded. There was a pause.

“Vy gotovy?” Then silence, nothing but the sound of a never ending dial tone. Kase smiled slyly as he dropped the phone to the ground.

“Da.” He responded. He felt the building shake above him, it felt like an earthquake. Black Morning had begun. He looked at the device on the wall, the one that had been meticulously made just for this. It had served its purpose well.

The small device was smashed under the heel of his shiny black shoe. He looked around to the computers, no evidence left behind.

“Kase, what the hell is going on out there?” A voice asked. Kase turned and saw one of his friends standing nearby. Unlike Kase, this friend actually had clearance to be in here. Kase took a step closer to his friend, his left hand retreating into the sleeve of his coat. Just as he slid the blade into his friends ribs, he whispered.

“Progress.”

Months ago, Berlin Germany

The room was filled with nervous chatter. Two seats still remained empty within the room that was packed with people from all across Europe and Asia. It came as no surprise however, China and Russia had made it very clear that they had their own agenda to work towards. One dignitary stood out among the crowd, he was a man, a representative of England. He seemed rather disinterested about the matter at hand, rather than being engaged as was everyone else.

A cold, hard silence fell across the room as the sound of polished shoes clicking against the buffed wooden floor echoed through the hall. He stood now in the center of the floor, being surrounded by dignitaries from all countries, he looked at the empty seats and sighed.

“Let the record show that Russia and China have failed to make an appearance.” He spoke as he looked around the room. He cleared his throat, audibly. The room wrecked of silence that settled like a veil. Those two empty seats had drawn more tension into the room than a bomb.

“Years ago, in this very place where we stand now, there was an attack. This attack was targeted at the building, at those who worked in it, and those who called this place home. Many were killed, countless more injured. This attack on our soil was claimed by those calling themselves the Network. The effects of this attack were long standing, still reverberating in the minds of many still to this day. It wasn’t long afterwards that a war was launched on this extremist group in an effort to eradicate them from their existence. Backed by our brothers and sisters in the west, this operation was successful. Or so we thought. This terror has now returned from the grave while we’ve been sleeping soundly in the safety of our homes. Our enemy has turned their eyes on the inhabitants of the United States.”

“The US situation is deeply concerning. Europe can't allow itself to remain silent on the sidelines, our old friend and ally needs help in this venomous chaos, and after an EU/NATO leadership meeting we confirm that we create an organization by uniting the NATO assets outside of the USA and send an experimental task force to America. There are many US citizens, soldiers eager to return home and fight for peace & freedom, they will join this relief force. Sadly our friends in Britain decided to rather quit NATO than to participate, but their volunteers are still welcome. The proposal to have it created under the UN was vetoed by Russia, which is no surprise considering the rumors of Kremlin involvement and the growing number of Russian forces across Alaska, still they can't deny us the right to reform the EU and NATO forces. The new organization will be named the Global Defense Initiative-"

Nekomi Edwards: West Fork, AR. Codename: Cyberkitten

When you looked at her you saw a young woman, only 19, slightly plump, dark brown eyes layered beneath her thick-framed glasses. Red-brown hair pulled back behind her in a ponytail.

If you asked, she was half –Japanese American with welsh heritage. She was born in Osaka Japan, where her father had met her mother. Her father was a British citizen who moved to the US a little over 32 years ago and gained citizenship soon afterwards, he was the owner of a barbershop in West Fork.

Back when she was born, her father had a job where he could travel across the world for business. But he lost that job long ago because of his obsessive drinking. It was after that that her mother decided it would be best if she was raised in Osaka without her father. It wasn’t until she turned sixteen that he sobered up. At the age of seventeen she moved to live with him in the US. She lived on the second floor, right above the barbershop. He hadn’t touched a bottle of alcohol in years.

If you were wondering what she did, she was employed at a local retail store, working the night shift. In her free time, she’s a blogger and an avid music and anime fan.

But that was only if you asked. Who was the true Nekomi Edwards? She’d kill herself before she let that information fall into the wrong hands.

The true her, Agent Edwards, was trained to be a sleeper agent since the age of twelve under her mother’s supervision. Once she turned 14, she began training in cyber warfare and anti-terrorism.

As of late, now that Japan had joined under the GDI, she’d been transferred under their command.

And now she’s active.
    Now in the United States, she intentionally gained weight. She was the top of her athletic class, she knows she’s fast. She knows she can burn off the extra weight at any time.

Perhaps parts of her life aren’t fabricated, she really did enjoy anime, she was a music nerd, and she loved her blog. Before the war, her blog had over 3 million followers.

Through her time, she’s been able to infiltrate some of the most prestigious groups out there. Not only has she hacked the Network and the US army, she’s also burrowed herself deep into the ranks of Anonymous.

If they had a footprint somewhere on a computer, she’d bet her life she could follow it.

In the dark, her thoroughly trained fingers raced across the keyboard as she stared at the screen. The coding may not make sense to normal people, but to her, it was her bread and butter. The soft glow illuminated her face, shining off her glasses. She concentrated, it was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Then, a smile pulled its way across her lips.

“Got ya.” She said.

“In this moment of weakness our western ally has to feel safe, opportunists aren't allowed to take advantage of the US 'Network Crisis'. Despite Russian and Chinese objections we still have an obligation to aid fellow western democracies under treaties and agreements. The reason why we don't just initiate the involvement under EU or NATO flag is because the new GDI organization is also joined by Japan and Australia, thus it grows outside the North Atlantic treaty-“

Michard Westwood: Camden AR. Codename: Lonestar

MI6,DGSE, FBI and GDI.

Michard, what a name. It was a mix of Michael and Richard, his parents just couldn’t agree.

Born in England, he had a simple life. In a way. He worked for British police for a while, that is before he met a beautiful girl named Alizé, a half-French New Orleans citizen.

They were engaged, he moved to her hometown. Life was strange. Strange in the sense that everything was beautiful. Then it happened, a car crash that took it all away. He didn’t go back to England, but he couldn’t stay in New Orleans. He moved to Camden, and worked his way through the ranks becoming a sheriff in no time flat.

They gave him a desk, though it sits empty most days. He’d rather be out in the field. Doing it like the reals sheriffs did it. He kept Camden safe, he was quite popular among the locals. He was calm, collected and polite.

He loved the old west, like Clint Eastwood. Some said he reminded them of an old west type of sheriff. He couldn’t say much, he kept a horse. He rode it when he couldn’t trust a car to get him where he was going.

Huh. Half the time he wondered who gave him that cover story.

He started in MI6 long ago, meeting Alizé during an outing in New Orleans. It was by chance that he learned she worked for the French Secret Service. They were posted together in a joint op, a stakeout in the US against a gang selling high-tech weapons to Russian and Italian mafia. The love the two shared, however, that was real.

She was killed by a Russian Mafioso, made it to look like an accident. Michard didn’t exactly respond professionally. He hunted down the killer, tracked him to a warehouse. What he’d call a miniature war ensued, but he got his revenge.

Normally, this kind of behavior would’ve gotten him fired, silenced more than likely. Imprisoned, killed. Who knew. But he saved his own skin, guns, drugs evidence of Russian involvement. He hit the mother lode.

US and UK were both appeased by him for taking out this growing criminal underground and stopping a large scale drug trade that had been being tracked as a separate case by the FBI. The French agency was pleased that their dead agent was avenged.

The debate was sparked over whether the UK would join in the GDI, he was ordered to remain within the US. He was contacted by a French Officer, the former boss of Alizé and was hired into DSGE. MI6 contacted him and said it would be useful if he stayed within the US.

FBI got him to sign up as an undercover agent within the ranks of the New Orleans police force. It wasn’t long after that that Michard uncovered that the Police Captain was responsible for the leaked weapons. After he transferred the information, FBI told him to lay low for a while. So he transferred to Camden Arkansas.

When the war broke out and GDI was formed, England remained neutral. He was contacted by the GDI director, the same man that’d once hired him into DGSE, and he was transferred into GDI.

GDI knew he worked for MI6 and FBI, MI6 only knew he worked for the FBI. The FBI knew nothing of his loyalties.

38 years old now, his skin a slight tan his eyes a grey tint, he hunkered down on the hillside. His hair was jet-black and tied back in a short pony tail. He had a full beard grown on his face. He wore his Ouachita county Sheriff’s uniform underneath his black leather trench coat. On his head was perched his black cowboy hat, his sheriff’s badge pinned to his trench coat. Under the coat were his two Kimber Custom II pistols, both with silencers attached to them.

It was late evening, earlier that day he’d been contacted. Cyberkitten, what a name, had uncovered some information saying a meeting was going down today, in this location. Michard didn’t have to be present for it to work, he’d planted the bomb long ago. He just wanted to watch it all unfold.

There it was, a long black limo prancing slowly down the street. It slowed to a stop, and a man standing on the corner approached. Through his binoculars it was easy to tell. Russian Mafia. The man climbed in the limo and the door was shut.

Michard reached into his coat, pulling out the detonator. He gazed at the polished metal reflecting light off the black car.

“Fuck the Kremlin.” He growled as he watched the limo erupt into a nova of fire and shrapnel.

“Supreme Allied Commander Europe (SACEUR) Mark Jamison Sheppard of NATO will take the position of first General Secretary of GDI. Former NATO GenSec Anders Fogh Rasmussen and Jorge Domecq from European Defense Agency (EDA) join him as official consultants, while Anita Elfrida Johanna Rommel from German Bundeswehr becomes leader of the task force and will lead the team in America to confirm the current situation and act accordingly to given objectives. America can always count on its true European allies.

Brigadier General Gavin T. Spencer. Fairfield ,CA. Codename: ThunderStrike

Iraq, Afghanistan, Kosovo. Joint ops with NATO in the EU. He’s seen action all around the world, he know war and knows it’s horrors, but he’s not done yet.

California National Guard is currently where he hangs his hat. 40th division. He aids the commander of the California National Guard, Major Genral Lawrence A. Haskins. The two had been close since they were kids. Unlike many others that hold the same rank as him, he does not directly command any troops as he is second to all of Cali National Guard. However, he could take full command of the 49th MP brigade at any time, as he’s a superior officer to Colonel Peter B. Cross, who also resides at Fairfield.

He went through Special Forces training long ago, but due to Live Environment Training, he could easily blend into multiple cultures and people around the world, including Russian and Swedish.

Before joining the Cali Nat Guard, he was a member of the 75th Ranger Regiment, the most proficient light infantry force on the planet, and served time as a commando.

When the war started, Gavin and his troops were the first to be called back home. He was in contact with European nations just as the discussion on the future of NATO and establishment of the GDI were starting. When asked if he intended on joining, he simply said yes.

He knew that with NATO now gone, the US would eventually have to join the GDI if they wanted to deny Russia and China taking over its spot as a global superpower.

Problem is, he hasn’t had contact with anyone outside the US since his return. No signal has escaped US airspace. They were all being jammed. As such, he’d never received any assignment from GDI command. He knew someone had to stop that jammer. Something so high tech would have to be implicated by someone within the US government, or military.

Now 32, his head shaved his eyes two different colors and his skin dark, he lounged around a campfire with a few other soldiers as the sun began setting. He rolled up the sleeves on his uniform in a desperate attempt to beat the heat. The men joked about the State of the Union, about Russian and Chinese politics. Gavin strecehed back, looking at the sky as it went from orange to red, then faded from dark blue to purple to black.

“I only know one thing.” He said. “If order isn’t restored, we may soon have to vote in an election between Crazy Ivan and Wong Ding Dong.”

“That’s no world I want to live in.” One man responded.

“That’s why we’re here.” Gavin said. “Always ready, always there.”

“Always ready, always there.” The others responded.

“Ladies and gentlemen of the European Union, the time to be silent has come and passed. If we want a shot at ever restoring order to the world we must act. We must act now or never, because every minute we waste is another brother or sister lost over there in the west. If you want peace, we must now prepare for war. We must support our allies in America, so they can support us when the time comes to fight back against our enemies. Russia is eager to grab at any land it can get in Europe, and as we speak China is pushing deeper into Asia, with its eyes now set on Japan and Taiwan. The world could not be a more dangerous place, that is why we must fight to retain order. We’ve beaten this enemy once before, but we could not do with without the help of the United States. And they will not be able to defeat this force without help from Europe. People of Europe, it’s time to send these fuckers to hell.”

• edited August 2016

hmm

I think what I feared could happen did happen

Kase Arnold. Pentagon, day of the attacks GPS. Global communications. Satellites. The internet. The things that connect you to the out

• Hm, it feels as if people forgot to read this o_O

• Sorry for the very late comment. It appears I have unfollowed the story after my last comment, which easily happens after the last update. At least I haven't missed a voting.

Anyways, this was certainly an intriguing twist! It seems reinforcements for the good guys are on the way. Katie, Samu, Carmen, it sounds they are not alone anymore, which I am very happy about :) Can't wait to see how things grow worse for the Network, even if they still seem far from their final defeat.

Kase Arnold. Pentagon, day of the attacks GPS. Global communications. Satellites. The internet. The things that connect you to the out

• What do you mean? Isn't it good that there will be reinforcements for the USA? I mean, the Europeans clearly seem hellbent on fighting the Network, which seems like a very good thing. Or is there something else I have missed?

• no, I feared it was a bit rushed to introduce all characters and the GDI all at once in this way, you're the first to comment since the story got posted, and the lack of any response/reaction made me worried, especially considering that the 'covert agents' wee introduced right away with their covers blown off, instead of having been in the story for a while before it happens

What do you mean? Isn't it good that there will be reinforcements for the USA? I mean, the Europeans clearly seem hellbent on fighting the Network, which seems like a very good thing. Or is there something else I have missed?

• Well glad someone likes the intros at least, but I have to point out it isn't just Europeans 'hellbent' on fighting, Chinese, Russians are too

What do you mean? Isn't it good that there will be reinforcements for the USA? I mean, the Europeans clearly seem hellbent on fighting the Network, which seems like a very good thing. Or is there something else I have missed?

• Interesting part! But I was wondering, wasnt Europe already involved, with the special forces from Lucias storyline? Or is this the beginning of a full military intervention from the Europeans?

• Yes. They were already involved, this is just kind of like a prelude as to what happened and how they got involved.

janitor posted: »

Interesting part! But I was wondering, wasnt Europe already involved, with the special forces from Lucias storyline? Or is this the beginning of a full military intervention from the Europeans?

• Aha, now I understand :)

Yes. They were already involved, this is just kind of like a prelude as to what happened and how they got involved.

• Aha, now I understand :)

Yes. They were already involved, this is just kind of like a prelude as to what happened and how they got involved.

• I really miss this story :( Is there any chance it will ever return?

• Janitor, oh god D: Welcome back, my friend! I miss this story and mr.quality terribly, I am beyond happy to see that at least someone else remembers this wonderful work here. Maybe it is time to reread it. And well, if The Wolf Among Us can get a second season, I don't see why mr. quality and The dark before the dawn cannot return either. I don't know though. Maybe, maybe not. I hope he returns. It's been months and I still consider this story one of the best things this forum has ever seen. I will try. Maybe he can be convinced to at least return. The circumstances surrounding his leave have been very unusual, but I'm nothing if not hopeful.

janitor posted: »

I really miss this story Is there any chance it will ever return?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.