Really Telltale? Really? So this isn't a joke?

Comments

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

Moderators are not Telltale staff, we are normal members who where invited to help moderate the forums.

"...so Telltale can deconstruct their legend faster with an ever more lackluster run of the mill Walking Dead sequel." So you admit Season 2 of TWD was bad? About time somebody from Telltale admits to that

• Thread: What is the chance of this game not being absolutely awful?

Is there any chance for this game to not suck?

• They are creating new characters in a preexisting universe, just like they did for TWD's first season. And Minecraft possibly even has more lore at the ready than "it's the zombie apocalypse and everyone's got the virus".

Hero1 posted: »

Why do we need to know anything about the game.. they are making a story based game based on a game that has no story.. the only reason for

• VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2014

The comic should have ended when Tony Moore left, the TV series should have ended four seasons ago and there never should have been a second season of the game. Yes, that's my subjective opininon.

I rather enjoyed the story of the first Walking Dead Season.

"...so Telltale can deconstruct their legend faster with an ever more lackluster run of the mill Walking Dead sequel." So you admit Season 2 of TWD was bad? About time somebody from Telltale admits to that

• If you think that Telltale did a good job creating characters in a universe with almost no preexisting lore with The Walking Dead, then your answer is yes.

Thread: What is the chance of this game not being absolutely awful? Is there any chance for this game to not suck?

• I actually thought you were being sarcastic, which I wouldn't have blamed you for.

Vainamoinen posted: »

The comic should have ended when Tony Moore left, the TV series should have ended four seasons ago and there never should have been a second

edited December 2014

I am always sarcastic. ;)

Rob_K posted: »

I actually thought you were being sarcastic, which I wouldn't have blamed you for.

• edited December 2014

its not about the '' E '' rating. we all know telltale used to make kids game. BUT what upsets me most is, minecraft has NO depthm NO lore, NO anything! i am 20yrs old and i would tottaly play sam and max and other things telltale. atleast they used to make KIDS games with actual lore and depth in someway...... minecraft is a world where you build stuff that has nothing MORE to it than the fact that you have freedom in it. and i actually do believe that the ONLY reason they're making this is because of money.. telltale who made TWAU and sam and max would never be interested in such thing. so making that move on their part is just for more branding and money. so yeah, i am dissapointed because they can do all the kids game they want and i'll buy them, because they actually have ''Stories'' or unique world. not a world based off as blocks thats just stupid.

TommyW posted: »

So Im guessing you didn't know that telltale use to make tons of kids games before walking dead..... before walking dead most of their games were rated E for everyone or for ages 3 and up lol

• we know they make kids games before. the ONLY difference that they used to make unique kids game, or atleast something interesting. so yeah we know that.. minecraft has nothing more to it than being a block world to build in. :) no supstance whatsoever .

Telltale does not only make mature titles. Prior to Walking Dead, Telltale was actually known for making a lot of comedy titles that were rated E or T that were mostly lighthearted and funny.

• The Walking Dead has no depth, no lore, no anything. So Telltale created that out of thin air. The Walking Dead has "It's the zombie apocalypse and everyone's got the virus", Minecraft has "It's an open world and you can build stuff". It's not much to go on in both cases, but that's where creative freedom comes from.

I'd rather guess that in the future as well, Telltale would rather grab those licenses that do not have that much lore.

Mercyva posted: »

its not about the '' E '' rating. we all know telltale used to make kids game. BUT what upsets me most is, minecraft has NO depthm NO lore,

• edited December 2014

I personally don't know how you and the other mods hold it together. I would have snapped and/or gone on a banning spree.

Earlier, I deleted a post which I guess I wouldn't have made your lives easier.

I am always sarcastic.

edited December 2014

Actually, I'm more of a mod alumni these days. I just come back for the fun.

And for the nostalgia, of course. Y'know -

"Telltale is making Tales of Monkey Island?!? NOOOO that will delay Season 3 of Sam & Max! How dare they?"

"Telltale is announcing five franchises at once, WTF?! They won't have time for any of those!!"

"WTF Telltale can't pull off Walking Dead, that is a dark and gritty series. They don't have that in them!"

"What is this Wolf among Us crap it looks like shit, can't we have Season 2 of TWD instead?"

"Now they're doing Borderlands and Game of Thrones, what a perverse sellout!"

And the story goes on. I'm having a lot of fun with all that, thinking of the old days...

I personally don't know how you and the other mods hold it together. I would have snapped and/or gone on a banning spree. Earlier, I deleted a post which I guess I wouldn't have made your lives easier.

• this is plane insult. the walking dead can not be compared with minecraft. the walking dead has more lore and depth than minecraft will ever be. your comment made me so mad that i just wont explain myself. the walking dead is about the end of the world. and yes there are nothing but zombies, but its real! its your life how you'll live it? you'll lose everyone you love! so how will you live, etc.....
    minecraft on the other hand is a stupid block world which only has the benefit that its a free world to build in and play with your friends. how is that lore or even depth? playing as steve and mining for diamonds dont speak DEPTH to me. the walking dead is as real as you can see it, its not even have to be about zombies, even at war. what would you do if you lost everything? will you have faith or lose it.
    so please think more when you compare the two.. this is an insult to every walking dead fan.
    have a good day.

If you think that Telltale did a good job creating characters in a universe with almost no preexisting lore with The Walking Dead, then your answer is yes.

edited December 2014

Walking Dead's total lore is "it's the zombie apocalypse and everyone's got the virus".

The first part is stolen, the second part Kirkman's sole new idea. EVERYTHING ELSE, Telltale invented.

It's the same starting point, basically. Which wasn't the case in Telltale's other games, so I would compare Minecraft to the Walking Dead primarily. Minecraft will have another tone, certainly, and the whole TWD franchise communicates a certain tone as well. And that's it.

this is plane insult. the walking dead can not be compared with minecraft. the walking dead has more lore and depth than minecraft will ever

• edited December 2014

Definitely.

Tell you what I got a kick out of yesterday:

People are being rude to a new member. Mod says to please stop and treat everyone with respect (like y'know, decent human beings should). Then someone comes and tries to say they think mods are being too lenient, or something of that nature, while trying to tell them how to do their job. The irony is that if the mods did what that person wanted, they'd also be banned.

Ah, the lost brain cells (not that I had many to begin with). And the restoring of faith in people.

Actually, I'm more of a mod alumni these days. I just come back for the fun. And for the nostalgia, of course. Y'know - "Telltale is m

• edited December 2014

if you think shallow of the walking dead, then yes. it has nothing more than zombies. BUT for us fans, its not about a bunch of zombies and people who got the virus.
    its about survival, its about human nature, its about cruelty, its about forgiveness, its about faith.... its about human interactions and emotion.

making my point :-

THE LAST OF US is about a virus. and as you said it has no lore to you? FOR ME its NOT. and its the best game that ever been created to this day thats about a virus and zombies or whatever. so ITS NOT about just virus/zombies. yes it can seem a shallow idea if you are not a true fan, but please dont compare minecraft and the walking dead like ever.

The Walking Dead has no depth, no lore, no anything. So Telltale created that out of thin air. The Walking Dead has "It's the zombie apocaly

• I compare The Walking Dead and Minecraft in Telltale's narrative starting point, and in that they are similar – Telltale has not much to go on and has more creative freedom therewith.

I don't think you or anyone is "shallow" just because they prefer more adult themes and rawer emotion.

So, yes, I will continue to compare Minecraft to TWD, and no, that is not an insult to anyone.

if you think shallow of the walking dead, then yes. it has nothing more than zombies. BUT for us fans, its not about a bunch of zombies and

• edited December 2014

The question on everyone's mind should be:

How are new stories created? I mean, the answer should be obvious to everyone. What Minecraft will give is the building blocks (things like zombie attacks, build stuff, exploring mines, that telltale can use as the basis for whatever narrative they want to tell).

Oh and Mercyva, it's totally the case that what Telltale makes will see you only mining blocks.

Edit: Out of curiosity, Vainamoinen, did Strong Bad have much of a starting point? If you know. I've owned it for a long time and just about to go through the 2nd episode for the first time. First episode was amusing in part from what I remember.

Walking Dead's total lore is "it's the zombie apocalypse and everyone's got the virus". The first part is stolen, the second part Kirkman

• I must admit, out of TTG's older catalog, I never played Strong Bad, probably because I'm at least a little bit of a graphic whore.

The question on everyone's mind should be: How are new stories created? I mean, the answer should be obvious to everyone. What Minecraft

• Ah alright.

I must admit, out of TTG's older catalog, I never played Strong Bad, probably because I'm at least a little bit of a graphic whore.

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited December 2014

Rob K wrote:
    did Strong Bad have much of a starting point? If you know. I've owned it for a long time and just about to go through the 2nd episode for the first time. First episode was amusing in part from what I remember.

There's actually a lot of backstory in the Homestar Runner universe. Although it always played fast and loose with continuity. All of the cartoons and games on that site are more about referencing 70's-90's pop culture, as well as their past creations. Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People is just like it in that regard.

Although they actually gave a minor side character, Homsar, quite a bit of an interesting back story in Strong Badia the Free. It was surprising, and quite well done. I'm actually mostly surprised that the creators of Homestar Runner, the Brothers Chaps, let them do that (but glad that they did).

The question on everyone's mind should be: How are new stories created? I mean, the answer should be obvious to everyone. What Minecraft

• Thanks, Jennifer! I always assumed that it was mostly built on gags and references, then Telltale just sort of filled in the rest of the details to include the expected gags while providing more of a narrative.

Looking forward to learning more about Homestar. Didn't think he'd be a focal point for the 2nd episode.

Jennifer posted: »

Rob K wrote: did Strong Bad have much of a starting point? If you know. I've owned it for a long time and just about to go through the 2n

• Minecraft's lore is basically 'Build something.'

That's it.

I know there was this thread about Minecraft's lore and all, the problem is that none of this is established ingame. To me, it seems more like the developers saw comments about how there was no lore at all, and they were like:

'Ok let's see, we could just make some crap up.'

And there was the 'lore'.

They are creating new characters in a preexisting universe, just like they did for TWD's first season. And Minecraft possibly even has more lore at the ready than "it's the zombie apocalypse and everyone's got the virus".

• Well, the fanbase might be the wrong word then, but I assume that you would only sign up on a forum like this if you're in, at least some way, a fan of Telltale Games. The fact that there are a lot of lurkers on the forum does not necessarily mean that they are not fans, otherwise I don't see any reason for them to sign up in the first place. The fact that the majority of the current threads are mostly negative can't be ignored. The active forum members don't have to be the biggest fans perse, and certainly don't count for more. Lurkers will also be fans in some way or another.

eRock92 posted: »

I doubt the forums are an accurate measurement of the fanbase. There are people who lurk and people who don't do forums. There are also (I

• although i disagree. i respect your opinion, not everyone has the same point of view. :)

I compare The Walking Dead and Minecraft in Telltale's narrative starting point, and in that they are similar – Telltale has not much to go

• Kalevipoeg is awesome , btw. but screw Minecraft , really.

Walking Dead's total lore is "it's the zombie apocalypse and everyone's got the virus". The first part is stolen, the second part Kirkman

• <--- This!

• And a lot of them aren't from Minecraft.

Legendary12 posted: »

COME BACK TWD SEASON 3 PLS, this forum is already flooded with weird little kids and squeakers.. now there will be more...

• Thread: So since we are in pixels, what's next?

A Tetris game perhaps: "Story is tailored by how blocks are fallen." Anyway, I really don't like this a bit and it in my opinion is showing that TTG is in this for the money. But i will not absulotely hate on it until i play and decide over it. I have a question. Does this bother you? I have a passionate hate against Minecraft but i LOVE Telltale. So a tuff situation here. What do you think?

• Is it really so hard to come up with original ideas? or has TTG just become a game license company, that only makes Walking dead clone game now ?.

Feel its like sad. I know i would rather have a new Sam & Max point n click game.

Jayroen posted: »

<--- This!

• A Habbo Hotel game!

edited December 2014

Would you stop making the same thread over and over? The mods are kind of getting annoyed.

Thanks a bunch!

ata95 posted: »

Thread: So since we are in pixels, what's next? A Tetris game perhaps: "Story is tailored by how blocks are fallen." Anyway, I really d

• Seriously, whoever thought this was a good idea at Telltale needs to be sacked RIGHT NOW!

I mean come on! Minecraft is a kids game about making things out of badly textured square blocks! How the hell are they going to get a story out of this!!! I just can't see how this is going to work at all!

Also, Telltale are now working on this rubbish as well as Game of Thrones and Tales from the Borderlands. How long is it going to be before the good stuff like the Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us (I'm not saying GOT is bad, its just no were near as good as TWD). They're taking on so many different projects at once, it'll be ages till we see TWD and TWAU again, and as it is they're already taking a while to release the second episode of GOT.

I'm not a fan of this and I wouldn't play this EVER. I just hope that they only make a few episodes and DON'T TURN THIS INTO A SERIES! We DO NOT need more than 5 episodes of this!

• Telltale are doing some great stuff like TWD, TWAU and, in my opinion, GOT has a lot of potential too. What bothers me is that whilst Telltale is busy making this we're going to have to wait ages for the stuff a lot of people REALLY want to play. And besides, Telltale has thrived making complicated, thrilling stories which capture the player- but I just can't see how they're going to do this! For a start, any sense of realism is COMPLETELY shattered by the fact that this is MINECRAFT! I'm really not looking forward to this game myself, and hopefully Telltale will only do a few episodes before they leave it and get back to doing the good stuff like TWD again.

However, I will say this: if Telltale can pull this off and SOMEHOW make a good game from this, then I will never, NEVER doubt they're abilities again! Hell, if they pull this off I'd get excited if they did a Tellytubbies game!

ata95 posted: »

Thread: So since we are in pixels, what's next? A Tetris game perhaps: "Story is tailored by how blocks are fallen." Anyway, I really d

• I also have a question- did someone approach Telltale asking them to do this or did THEY approach the Minecraft people and ask to do it? If the former, then this game will suck. If the latter, then they MIGHT have had a story in mind and maybe, just maybe, make this work.

• mean come on! Minecraft is a kids game about making things out of badly textured square blocks! How the hell are they going to get a story out of this!!! I just can't see how this is going to work at all!

And the Walking Dead game is a done to death clichee rich zombie apocalypse story in its third media iteration, "how the hell are they going to get a story out of this".

Just like before, obviously.

Seriously, whoever thought this was a good idea at Telltale needs to be sacked RIGHT NOW! I mean come on! Minecraft is a kids game about

edited December 2014

I think there's a whole thread for the question, to which I may or may not agree. Usually partners find each other for this kind of cooperation, and who of the partners first said "maybe we could..." is, in hindsight, rather irrelevant. Both agreed, both think it a good idea, end of story. Each new franchise is a new risk, the only certain success and actual "cash grab" would be to make yet another TWD season ASAP. I'm glad they're not doing it.

I think it's usually Telltale who approaches the franchise holders. With almost each new game, it's like "really, Telltale will do THAT?". It's probably the same with the franchise holders. They can't see it working out until Telltale approaches them and manages to sell the idea with a huge deal of design enthusiasm and fandom geekout.

I also have a question- did someone approach Telltale asking them to do this or did THEY approach the Minecraft people and ask to do it? If

• No idea, it's not 100% clear, I only know that Microsoft is not involved, as it was discussed before Microsoft gaimed Minecraft's license and this Minecraft game has been in the works since at least May of this year.

Even if they were approached, I'd guess that a few property holders have probably asked Telltale if they'd be willing to make a game, and I'd guess a few of them have been turned down. So I think their focus is still on the story even if they were approached, because without a good story, how can Telltale make money or keep consumer interest? Because if you take away a good and engaging story, what is left?

I also have a question- did someone approach Telltale asking them to do this or did THEY approach the Minecraft people and ask to do it? If

• The Walking Dead has character depth and meaning, something which (unless Telltale do something miraculous) has absolutely none of. One is a character based story, the other is a game about building things. And besides at least the Walking Dead has some realism, which Minecraft doesn't have since the whole world is made of squares amongst other things. I just can't see how they can create a good story with good characters the player actually cares about from a game like Minecraft. People like TWD for its emotional impact- one look on Youtube and you can find thousands of videos of people crying over the deaths of Lee and Kenny- I can't see Telltale being able to do that with a Minecraft game.

You could argue that the Minecraft game is designed to bring in a younger audience, but there wasn't any demand for a MC game made by Telltale whereas there is a lot more demand from players for the Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us.

mean come on! Minecraft is a kids game about making things out of badly textured square blocks! How the hell are they going to get a story o

• Well if Telltale approached them first then they must have surely had an idea of what they were doing. Hopefully they've got it right.

On your point about fans reactions to new Telltale games, that's not necessarily true. I mean obviously you'll always get some players who react like all the time, but (and hopefully I'm not wrong in saying this) I believe a lot of people were quite happy to see Telltale do Game of Thrones. The difference between this Minecraft game and Telltales other popular stuff is that Minecraft is not character based and is a completely different genre to anything they've tried before. Hopefully it'll work out, but forgive me if I and other people have their doubts.

I must admit though your point about bringing out another TWD season quickly WOULD be a cashgrab. At the same time though, Telltale can't afford to delay TWD for too long otherwise people will lose interest. With all the things they've taken on recently, the only way I can see them fitting in all these things and releasing new games before people lose interest is if they drop one of their projects (BTW, as a moderator you wouldn't have any more knowledge about whats happening with TWAU? I'm not desperate for a second season, I'd just like to know if you have any idea what Telltale are going to do with it).

I think there's a whole thread for the question, to which I may or may not agree. Usually partners find each other for this kind of cooperat

This discussion has been closed.