Jurassic Park The Game: Review thread - post your impressions here!

15678911»

Comments

• edited March 2012
    First impressions after finally deciding to pick it up for $7 on steams deal.. only 20 minutes in and already getting framerate dropouts/hanging, minor audio problems, and eventually had to quit at the 20 minute mark because my mouse pointer during an exploration portion disappeared.

I like this type of game, I loved Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain so the whole "not so much a game but an interactive story" thing is absolutely no problem for me. However in Heavy rain I was actually able to interact and perform the QTE's without the "fake difficulty" of getting 1-3 second frame rate/lag dropouts...

Seems like this is a common problem with the game for most people and still no patch after over 3 and a half months...:confused:
  • edited March 2012
    I am a big fan of the Back to the Future game and a huge fan of the Jurassic Park movies. This game is the first telltale miss for me. The controls are clunky feeling and the interaction is too simple, yet, not intuitive. There are many scenarios where you must die a few times in order to figure out what to do. This, of course, causes the game to get repetitive. I am still on episode one and will continue through the rest of the episodes but, if this is how the new telltale games will play, I probably will not purchase any others. Kind of a bummer since I have loved all others before this.

- PC (steam version)
  • edited March 2012
    I am a big fan of the Back to the Future game and a huge fan of the Jurassic Park movies. This game is the first telltale miss for me. The controls are clunky feeling and the interaction is too simple, yet, not intuitive. There are many scenarios where you must die a few times in order to figure out what to do. This, of course, causes the game to get repetitive. I am still on episode one and will continue through the rest of the episodes but, if this is how the new telltale games will play, I probably will not purchase any others. Kind of a bummer since I have loved all others before this.

- PC (steam version)

No, every other game with have regular WASD gameplay, this was just a test.
  • edited March 2012
    Stoibs wrote: »
    First impressions after finally deciding to pick it up for $7 on steams deal.. only 20 minutes in and already getting framerate dropouts/hanging, minor audio problems, and eventually had to quit at the 20 minute mark because my mouse pointer during an exploration portion disappeared.

I like this type of game, I loved Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain so the whole "not so much a game but an interactive story" thing is absolutely no problem for me. However in Heavy rain I was actually able to interact and perform the QTE's without the "fake difficulty" of getting 1-3 second frame rate/lag dropouts...

Seems like this is a common problem with the game for most people and still no patch after over 3 and a half months...:confused:

The mouse disappearing isn't a glitch, it's part of the game.
  • edited March 2012
    All right, so I just finished the Xbox 360 version, cause my comp can't handle any of Telltale's games from The Devil's Playhouse onwards.

I'll say it right now. I loved the cast, the storyline, the music, the setting.. I enjoyed the immersion and the atmosphere.

What I did NOT enjoy was the core gameplay. I'm no fan of Quick Time Events, nor adrenaline rushes, and certainly not anything that tries to merge both as the entire premise of the game. Not only did I typically find myself feeling sick after especially frantic sections, but there were more than a few times where I found the timing to be quite poor. Episode 2 had a big issue for me, in particular. You have to mash A and keep the dot centered, except the timer from mashing A carries over and the timer degrades at a random rate.

It took me and my cousin like an hour to finally get past it. It's not fun when you're dying cause a timed event was starting without any time.

Likewise, there was a chapter late in episode 1 where you had a whole lotta dialogue then a loading screen.. and no checkpoint (unusual since the game always has them after loading screens), where upon you had some more QTE's, and one in which a Y button shows up and nothing happens when you press it. I've never gotten a green check or a red miss, it just shows up, goes away, and I suddenly lose my gold. It's the only part of the game I haven't gotten gold in, actually.

So yeah.. I'm really on the fence. I don't think I'll be playing this game ever again, and am glad this was a rental. I'll probably just watch it on YouTube or something if I ever wanna see the storyline again.

It just felt like Telltale took two steps forwards and a great big step back, which resulted in a stumble, and then falling over a cliff and having to quickly hit buttons to not die.

I'm sorry, guys.. I know you tried to make a great game, but this is just not one I care to ever play again. Which is sad cause I loved all the others (though I can't play BttF cause it isn't on a platform I own...)

EDIT: Some stuff I thought I'd mention.

Another issue I had was the Pause Menu. You hit start, you pull out of the game, you wait at the slab, the slab opens, the dinosaur shows up, the menu shows up, the menu lag for a moment and THEN you can do something in it. I swear it took like 10+ to go from making a mistake to loading my game, and that's not counting the time it takes to reload the scene.

I had no issues with sound or framerate, not that I'd ever notice cause I've had crap computers for so long that I only notice if it drops to like 20 FPS or less, which it never did.

I really felt this could've done better as a 4-part miniseries, rather than a "game". It made me recall what Ken Williams was trying to do with Sierra. Making "interactive stories" that would rival or replace movies. That's really what this felt like, an interactive movie. I'm not big on that unless it's a choice here and there resulting in a change in the plot (not unlike those games which're similar to interactive novels). I'd have been far happier to watch this story play out and occasionally be presented with some dialogue or other options, than constantly be pushing buttons to keep my characters alive.

EDIT 2: ...okay what the hell?! I was replaying the last chapter of episode 4 for an achievement.. and I realized it's not friggin' making checkpoints anymore! What the HELL made you guys think that'd be okay? Going through that KNOWING I had to do it all in one try was NOT fun. No wonder I couldn't get a checkpoint in an earlier episode when I was replaying something.. :/
  • edited March 2012
    In general the game is a lot more frustrating than it is fun. Next to the CONSTANT crashes, frame rate drops, sounds glitches, ... It is also impossible to play in one piece. I have to play everything three times at least to memorize the action sequences because the game reacts so damn slow! It prompts a button, I press it and wait for the two following commands to appear. But I only get a fraction of a second to see the next command before a red cross appears and I die. So I have to retry and press the button BEFORE the command appears for the game to register a hit.
    My PC is perfectly capable of running this game but the game just doesn't seem to agree.
  • edited March 2012
    The mouse disappearing isn't a glitch, it's part of the game.

So I'm at an exploration scene, with the option to change area at the bottom left, talk to others at the bottom right, interactive hotspots around the viewable area... and it's part of the game that I have no pointer and cannot interact with anything - forcing me to exit and restart the game? Innovation!
  • edited March 2012
    What buggy? This is one of the best games Ive ever played Do all games have to be first person shooters Great story and game play Like watching another Jurassic park movie Played beginning to end never a problem or glitch
  • edited March 2012
    This is one of the few games Ive ever played

Fixed.
  • edited March 2012
    A few bugs but still a great game! Come on Telltale lets get another game out of an amazing franchise!
  • edited March 2012
    This is a great game! I love that it reveals more behind the park and what else was going on during the Isla Nublar Incident. I also praise TellTale for putting in more tourist attractions in the game like the Marine Exhibit and The Bone Shaker. I would have liked a bit of freedom in what I do, such as character control, but after playing for a while, I began to like the cinematic experience.

Also, as a Dallas-Fort Worth citizen I know realized Jess and Dr. Harding say an inaccurate statement about living in Dallas. In the conversation between Jess and her father, her attendance to Westlake Academy is mentioned. Well, Westlake Academy was not open in 1993. Westlake opened in 2003.

Overall, I would give TT a thumbs up for making such a great game, and a sequel with a back story on Site B would be excellent.
  • edited March 2012
    Very glad I didn't pay full price for it, and got it on the cheap along with my "Walking Dead" pre-order.

Basically, it's "Dragon's Lair" set in Jurassic Park, along with all of the annoyances of that game, but with pretty visuals (well, compared to the multi-million dollar games out there).

I'm not a fan of random QTE's (Up, Down, Up, Up) - I don't want to have to die 5 times before I can work out the correct way to get out of a situation - it's not fair on the player to have to guess the correct sequence of multiple key presses in order to "pass" a scene, and ends up feeling like a "grind" instead of a great experience.

It's just my opinion, but for me, it's the poorest game that Telltale have put out so far - as I said, it's worth the money at a bargain price (even though I can't see myself playing through it again), but I would have been very annoyed if I'd spent $30 on it.
  • edited March 2012
    What a terrible game! I had so hoped for an adventure game, not an action game. What a disappointment that I have to be fast with the WADS keys, and not being very fast on the get-go anyway, just to find those keys usually takes me a minute and by that time I die. There is hardly any story, at least so far, but, I haven't gotten very far yet because I keep dying. just a lot of key clicking. What a waste of my money!
  • edited March 2012
    mbday630 wrote: »
    What a terrible game! I had so hoped for an adventure game, not an action game. What a disappointment that I have to be fast with the WADS keys, and not being very fast on the get-go anyway, just to find those keys usually takes me a minute and by that time I die. There is hardly any story, at least so far, but, I haven't gotten very far yet because I keep dying. just a lot of key clicking. What a waste of my money!

If you repeatedly push the four WASD keys simoultaneously, you will succeed all the Quicktime events.
    Simple and short. :)
    It's a sort of "god mode" bug! :D
  • edited March 2012
    ahhh, I will try that. thanks for the tip! I hate using keyboard and am not very quick at it.
  • edited April 2012
    I finished this game today, and I must say although I found the game poor in gameplay and a really bad adventure game, I loved the story. Definetely, Jurassic Park 2 movie should have been this story, and not the actual plot.

But seriously, less QTE for next time, please. This is not a game, but a interactive movie.
  • edited April 2012
    I haven't finished the game yet, but I do have a complaint about haveing to use the wsad keys really fast in some scenes, and my mind can't register that quickly. This game should be updated so the arrows will stay up longer instead of one second or at least give an option in settings to be able to set that for our selves. Rather than that I say the game is good. I just hope the walking dead is more like back to the future than this game where you can actually control the character using the wsad keys.
  • edited August 2012
    I honestly kept hearing how bad and awful Jurassic Park so by the time I picked it up for my 360, I was expecting the worst possible experience ever and honestly it's made the game all the more enjoyable. I should surround myself with more people who claim everything is so unbearable because in every instance in film, music and gaming it's made my experience (usually) good. I'd like to note that I'm a big fan of this style of game since I played Fahrenheit in 2005. Always was intrigued by interactive films as a format.

End result was I enjoyed it and it's story, characterization. Though I do wish your decisions did have more pull towards the story interactivity. Even in Heavy Rain there was moments I could bend the story a bit for a different experience. I suppose Telltale is no Quantic Dream. Either way, I didn't hate a moment of it and I'm not a hater of cel-shading or QTE's, so, that helps.
  • edited August 2012
    I was really excited when I first heard that a new Jurassic park game was coming out because I played the Sega one when I was a little kid. To be honest I give props to designing the game, characters, and critters, However I dislike the game play very much its like a complicated interactive movie, not to much actually fun game play. I easily got bored and disappointed with the out come of the game. It has a great story it just isn't fun to play its tedious. I thought it was going to be like a 1st person shooter or a 3rd person kid of thing if you get what I'm talking about. I didn't want an interactive movie. I don't know, I was just very disappointed and felt that i needed to share my thoughts so more games like this wouldn't be made. Good job on the design and making everything look great but its not fun to play, I'm sorry.
  • edited August 2012
    ufaheemu wrote: »
    jurassic park game is very good game but its cost is toomuch for me(indian) could you give consession for India
    thanks

Steam uses localized pricing, try there.
  • edited September 2012
    I think it was great 4.5/5
  • edited October 2012
    Good game:)
  • edited July 2014
    I've just finished it on PC. The story and the voice acting were fantastic, and it had a great cinematic feel. The setpieces were really gripping and properly "wow moments".

But the graphics and the chugging frame rate really detract from what could have been a great, solid experience. The dinosaur models were great compared to the rest of the game; there were so many blurry textures that were shoved right in your face and bizarre animations for the characters.

They really nailed the Jurassic Park atmosphere, it really felt like a true continuation of the film canon, it's just a shame their engine couldn't measure up to it.
  • edited February 2013
    :mad::):):):):mad:
    The release date for the game is finally here and I'm sure everyone will be dieing to voice their opinions on the game as well as post reviews from other websites. Instead of having thousands of post with different reviews, I figured it would be easier to have one thread dedicated to Jurassic Park reviews.

I haven't been able to play it yet but I will be posting seperate reviews for each episode here as I finish them.

So if anyone wants to share their opinon after finally getting to play the game, or want to share links to reviews of the game from other website here's a great thread to do it.

And, of course, try to use those Spoiler tabs when needed!!!
  • edited April 2013
    Ok picture this: The game starts out with you as being Eric and Ben and it shows their "fun" parachute ride and it keeps on going till where the movie left off as in them crashing into the tree's and Ben getting stuck. From there it should go until Eric finds the Ingen lab and finds people who ended up stranded like him but because they wanted to hunt down, capture, and sell the dinosaurs on the island but it was a mistake. From there it should where they find Ben getting eaten, Spinosaurus aegyptiacus run, meeting the velociraptor's egg nest's, and last of all kind of a funny part but Eric getting T-Rex pee :p.Through that the survivors end up finding out that the boat Eric and Ben came on is repairable and so from their they venture to find parts. But through this all when they're about to get off the island and the boat is started up they get offshore and they meet some aquatic dinosaurs like lieplurodon or some other aquatic dinosaur and the boat is total and there's only two people left, Eric and another guy or girl. So they roam through the island trying to find shelter and they stumble upon the Spinosaurus' resting place and so from there it all leads up to you-Eric finding the water truck and theres where it ends or it could go till you save Dr.Grant.
  • edited May 2013
    Mod Edit: Well, that was entirely non-constructive. No randomly swearing at people, 'kay?
  • edited July 2013
    There were too many cheesey moments and some of the challenges were hard as hell
  • This game froze so much it wasn't funny, the story was very bland with no sense of urgency.

• I don't know how people can think anything highly of this game honestly.

Lets not forget the original movie came out in 1993, so most of the original fans are in their mid twenties to thirties, not 10 or 12 yrs old - so of course we're going to expect a real epic adventure survival game that stays true to the nostalgia of the movie. Unfortunately the game insults your intelligence through most of the mindless-mouse clicks and timed arrow combos that just make you think you're playing the game but really you're skipping through short cut-scenes and watching a bad-tv-movie-cartoon version of Jurassic Park. The writing and dialogue is awful, not to mention some of the voice acting. And the game character models have very limited expressions and random eye movements that don't make any real sense and rarely sync up naturally to dialogue or the action, most of it just looks like really lazy animation. Its cool to be back on Isla Nublar and yes the idea of these other characters fighting for survival on the island along a mostly-parallel story-line with the original movie is a good premise for a game, but they missed the mark.

Some examples of the laziness of the game: "Harding, the loving, but obviously not very smart for a dinosaur veterinarian father, lowers a crane (that you "control" with a single mouse-click) so his daughter can rip a door off a power box in order to restore power to a conveniently...or inconveniently... placed silly roller coaster (in a zoo? - this is jurassic park, not six flags), anyway when you then switch controls to Jess, his daughter, then attempts to secure the hook to the door, Harding yells out something like 'hey what do you think you're doing with that thing...thats dangerous! - again - the dad JUST moved the crane to her HIMSELF, why would he question how or why she's going to use it? Either lazy or poor writing, or Mr. Harding has some serious short-term memory loss. Other things annoying about the gameplay, besides a lot of bugs that will make your mouse cursor just randomly disappear, some characters will have weapons throughout the game - but you can't actually use them like you'd expect in a game. Harding points a tranquilizer rifle at a t-rex, instead of aiming with your mouse and clicking to fire, you follow with boring left, right, up, down, arrow pushing in sync with a series of green icons that appear on the screen and again, you just watch the cut-scenes unfold. If you are off with your timing or press the wrong arrow, the only thing you affect is an alternate cut-scene where the character either does the same thing but more clumsy, or you get eaten and have to do it again. It gets really repetitive and mind-numbing. Later you'll have similar situations with the "mercenary" guys you play as. Yes mercenaries, but don't get your hopes up, you don't get to participate in any of the real action so much as just watch it. And their dialogue is just awful. Not to mention one portion of the game you just move boxes for an obviously disillusioned scientist lady that thinks she's safe on the island.

This game had so much potential. I really don't get why movie-based video games can't be better. The excuse most of the time for movie games is just time and budget so it can come out when the movie comes out and the production is super-accelerated , but in this case, the game is based on a movie that came out twenty years ago, they could have made a much better effort. I think if RockStar or Naughty Dog had their hands on the rights to this, we would've had a bad-ass third-person shooting survival game with some truly beautiful graphics and at least some decent writing and gameplay.

Oh well, now i can only hope that Jurassic World will fulfill my JP craving in 2015..

MissDRJ posted: »

This game froze so much it wasn't funny, the story was very bland with no sense of urgency.

• This game sucks. Truly, this is the worst game I have ever had the displeasure of spending money on. It's soooooo boring. There are almost no puzzles, and the ones that are there are not clever in any way. You just have to click on buttons like a trained monkey to keep the movie going? Aaaahhh stick a fork in my eye. I want my money back!!! So deeply disappointed in you Telltale after playing some of your other, far more entertaining offerings. Don't buy this--it's such a waste.

• [removed]

Icedhope posted: »

Faceslasher wrote: » Finally got to play, and it's horribly bugged. This is just insane, why is this happening? The game isn't off it's feet yet. Give it a chance.

• This isn't so much a game as an interactive movie, where you prompt the characters along on the story, and I'm happy with that. It's essentially an animated film sequel to JP, which draws you in by making you responsible for helping the characters survive with your timed key presses.
    I found it to be a gripping story and I loved the characters, I really ended up caring about them. The dinosaurs were brilliantly made, and overall it felt like a true sequel to Jurassic Park, more worthy than the Lost World in my eyes. It retains the true JP feel, using some similar tropes and humour, but a bit darker and edgier, which worked brilliantly.
    My only complaint is that it still seems to have bugs; luckily on my first play through it only happened once, but I'm playing it again and I've had the cursor disappearing bug several times and it is extremely frustrating. I'm also not sure if some of the quick time events are extremely unforgiving or just don't always register all my key presses.
    Game could really do with a patch, other than that, if you're a true JP fan you need to buy this, especially as it's considered canon now as far as I'm aware?
  • the game is very good

• So in anticipation for the movie that's coming out in two weeks, I done goofed and decided to play the Telltale game "Jurassic Park".
    I'll just give you my thoughts for each episode as i play along.

Episode 1:
    Aaand...wow, Telltale really learned a lot here when you see The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us.
    I died here more times than I ever did in Dark Souls and the traveling across areas mechanic is rather wonky. HOWEVER, the thing i do like in this game is that you have the good ol' point-and-click of figuring puzzles out. Something that is sadly missing in today's TT games.
    There is some potential here so im willing to be suprised here bout the plot and the characters. Note there's no real choices here like you got at the other games (insert sarcastic tone here) where you can change the narrative so keep that in mind.

Episode 2:
    I dont know if it's me sucking at QTE's or my laptop' systems or the game itself but I died so many times it's silly buggers!
    Kinda glad they stepped doing that shit in the later games. Also I really dig the puzzles here! I feel like a smart cookie after I figured out how activiate a roller coaster ride with arranging all the cars and such.
    As for the T-Rex, no idea what I ever did to offend him. That bastard is chasing me throughout the entire game and is out for my blood!
    I mean...there are a lot of other dudes to eat, guy!

Episode 3:
    Episode 3 aka the episode where I get Avatar flashbacks since I am rooting for the supposed "evil" merc guys instead of the peace loving hippies and the helicopter bitch THAT NEARLY LEFT A 15 YEAR OLD GIRL ON A ISLAND OF BLOODTHIRSTY DINOSAURS!
    Also I died over 28 times due to those damn QTE's, glad Telltale improved in that regard. Still liking the puzzles and dialogue tho.
    And the T-Rex still goes after me, the hell did i do to you man?!

Episode 4:
    I finished episode 4 and thus the game...aaaand yeah, mixed feelings bout this.
    Two characters suddenly get a case of the crazies and start acting REALLY OOC. Billy the merc guy becomes homocidal and will leave people behind and Dr Sorkin just becomes...i dunno, nuts.
    Also once more the T-Rex came after me at the end. You know in the movie the bloody thing became the Deus Rex Machina, in here it kept coming after my goddamn blood! The hell?!

But let's not get to rushed here. All in all this is a alright game. The characters are interesting, dialogues is good and there is a lot more lore on Isla Nublar they left out in the movies...and it's canon to! In fact the character Futterman plays is part of the original inhabitants of Isla Nublar and that forced relocation gets mentioned in the website of Jurassic World. Also the Mosasaur in the Laggoon might be the same dude we see in the trailers of JW, same goes for good old Rexxie.
    Also we find out Hammond is still bit of a dick. Not as much as he was in the books but still pretty bad.
    One thing though....I would've liked if they had at least one character in this game that came from the movie or had a cameo by phone. You only see Nedry's dead ass!

My verdict, I suggest you buy this is you are a fan of classic Telltale games or a Jurassic Park fan...but I dont think this game is worth 28 bucks.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.