Where the hell is Sam & Max Season 3

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Overall, I enjoyed the Strong Bad episodes (I think it peaked with Baddest of the Bands), but I view them as "Telltale Lite." They were fun and had some good moments, but it wasn't as great as their other stuff and I was a bit tired of it by the end. In contrast, I absolutely loved what they've done with Sam & Max and it's brightened my days many a time, and hope they work more on their "top tier" franchise (haven't played Monkey Island or Wallace & Gromit just yet). I really would rather see Telltale play to their strengths or make an original game rather than a second season of Strong Bad.

Although if they did make a second season, I probably would buy it. Wonderful hypocrite I am...
  • edited October 2009
    I really would rather see Telltale play to their strengths or make an original game rather than a second season of Strong Bad.

Yeah, after seeing the improvement of Sam and Max in season 2, I just want it to get better and better, and I know it can - it has so much potential after all...
  • edited October 2009
    If Season 3 is as good as Season 2, I'll be happy, even if it's not "better". If it avoids all the glitzy, flashy video stuff that makes W&G and TMI unplayable on my system (I have a good system, but it's slightly deficient on the graphics front), I'll be ecstatic. Mind you, I'll buy it anyway, in hopes of having a better system soon, and to keep up my "If TellTale makes it, I'll get it" motto, but still.
  • jmmjmm
    edited October 2009
    I don't know if this was posted earlier but:
    Right now, I’m currently scheduled to do the fourth episode of Sam and Max season three. It’s about time I actually got to do a Sam and Max game that actually ships.

Source: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/specialArt.cfm?artid=20105
  • edited October 2009
    I read that interview, but I must have missed that. Sounds like it's going to be announced really soon.
  • edited October 2009
    Right now, I’m currently scheduled to do the fourth episode of Sam and Max season three. It’s about time I actually got to do a Sam and Max game that actually ships.
    Wait, what? He was a co-designer of Hit the Road!
  • edited October 2009
    Wapcaplet wrote: »
    Wait, what? He was a co-designer of Hit the Road!

I think he means it as "it's been too long" rather than "I've never done it"
  • edited October 2009
    Pale Man wrote: »
    I think he means it as "it's been too long" rather than "I've never done it"
    That's what I thought after further reflection. It's possible he was misquoted, too.
  • edited October 2009
    If Season 3 is as good as Season 2, I'll be happy, even if it's not "better". If it avoids all the glitzy, flashy video stuff that makes W&G and TMI unplayable on my system (I have a good system, but it's slightly deficient on the graphics front), I'll be ecstatic. Mind you, I'll buy it anyway, in hopes of having a better system soon, and to keep up my "If TellTale makes it, I'll get it" motto, but still.

Well I hope you get a new system...

I recently got a graphically extensive system, that I'm hoping season 3 can challenge - probably not, but one can hope.
  • edited October 2009
    Well I hope you get a new system...

I recently got a graphically extensive system, that I'm hoping season 3 can challenge - probably not, but one can hope.

I doubt a Telltale game will ever push a good system graphically. Most adventure gamers don't own high end systems so Telltale would be doing themselves a disservice if they made a graphical marvel.
  • edited October 2009
    I assume they've been busy with Tales Of Monkey Island and porting Seasons 1 and 2 over to Xbox. I can't wait for some announcement though , good to see it's semi confirmed from that interview. Can't get enough of Sam and Max!
  • edited October 2009
    Wow, that interview was quite insightful in what Telltale are doing and how they think. Nintendo World were disrespecting both themselves and Telltale on spelling and transcription. Makes me wonder how many misquotes there are.
  • edited October 2009
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    I doubt a Telltale game will ever push a good system graphically. Most adventure gamers don't own high end systems so Telltale would be doing themselves a disservice if they made a graphical marvel.

Wallace and Gromit requires a fairly decent system to run at max settings, but if you mean they won't be putting out something like Crysis, then yeah.
  • edited October 2009
    Woodsyblue wrote: »

I doubt that's accurate. Most people who are into adventure gaming have probably been into gaming for a long time, and therefore probably have better computers.

That aside, adventure gaming doesn't require higher end computers because the story is more important than eyelash follicle rendering. I think adventure gaming would loose some of it's appeal if everything looked super realistic rather than just looking cool.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2009
    Wapcaplet wrote: »
    That's what I thought after further reflection. It's possible he was misquoted, too.

He's of course referring to his previous adventure game project, Sam & Max Freelance Police, which was canceled. It's been 16 years since Mike shipped a Sam & Max game with his name on it! Too long!
  • edited October 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    He's of course referring to his previous adventure game project, Sam & Max Freelance Police, which was canceled. It's been 16 years since Mike shipped a Sam & Max game with his name on it! Too long!
    Yup, I remember when LucasArts axed it (has it already been over 5 1/2 years ago?). I thought Mike's sentence would have made more sense if the word "again" had ended it.

In any event, I'm definitely looking forward to his episode!

And why haven't you guys tracked down & hired Sean Clark yet? :)
  • edited October 2009
    Jake wrote: »

Too long for sure! Can't wait for Mike's episode :)
  • edited October 2009
    Me too!
  • edited October 2009
    I can't wait for S&M3...full-stop/period.
  • edited October 2009
    I wonder if we this time get more an ongoing road movie instead of the usual going back to the office slices.
  • edited October 2009
    taumel wrote: »
    I wonder if we this time get more an ongoing road movie instead of the usual going back to the office slices.

I like the sound of that, stick with the office for the first/second episode, then ditch it in pursue of a ferrious lochs ness monster or something. Road movie would be good, the office/maybe even the street is starting to lose its appeal after all the re-plays and every single episode involving it one way or another.
  • edited October 2009
    I like the office. I vote for it to stay. They just need to change a bit more stuff in it every episode.

The trophy closet and the donut-mold civilization running gag were great. Same goes for the ever changing hair style of the Brady Cultures plant thingy..... and the voice mails!

Anyway, back on topic; I guess once MI is done it will be all hands on deck for S&M S3.
    So episode 1 can hit the download servers in.... April... June maybe. I doubt it will be much later then that. Telltale has a strong thing going here. I doubt they will postpone.
  • edited October 2009
    I read in the blog the other day (I think, unless I'm tripping on lack of sleep again) that a new CSI season is coming out imminently (boooo! :mad:), so that would that hands are currently split between wrapping up MI, launching CSI and finishing ground work on Sam & Max prior to announcement/launch.

After MI? Finish CSI and (finally) announce S&M S3.
  • edited October 2009
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    I read in the blog the other day (I think, unless I'm tripping on lack of sleep again) that a new CSI season is coming out imminently (boooo! :mad:), so that would that hands are currently split between wrapping up MI, launching CSI and finishing ground work on Sam & Max prior to announcement/launch.

After MI? Finish CSI and (finally) announce S&M S3.

Um... CSI is a full retail release coming out on October 27th, it won't be monthly or anything. It's basically already done.
  • edited October 2009
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Um... CSI is a full retail release coming out on October 27th, it won't be monthly or anything. It's basically already done.

Oh ok. In that case, all hands will be on wrapping up MI then launching S&M S3
  • edited October 2009
    I doubt that's accurate. Most people who are into adventure gaming have probably been into gaming for a long time, and therefore probably have better computers.

That aside, adventure gaming doesn't require higher end computers because the story is more important than eyelash follicle rendering. I think adventure gaming would loose some of it's appeal if everything looked super realistic rather than just looking cool.

I don't understand. What is the association with somebody who has played games longer have with somebody owning a better computer than somebody who hasn't played games as long. To me how long you've played games and how good your system is are two totally separate things.

As people become older they become less adaptive to new things so if anything gamers who have been a while (and I mean a while) are probably less likely to have a computer that is up to date with the latest graphics cards and drivers. It's subjective though, that would just be a trend.
  • edited October 2009
    It's connected I guess, but very loosely.

The more you play computer games, the more you appreciate having powerful machine, the more likely you are to spend more money on a PC.
    This completely ignores the console gamers, the not-so-wealthy people and the very wealthy people (who may overspend) though.

Anyway, I don't agree with the pre-premise that you have to be an old gamer to appreciate adventure games. Take a look at the ScummVM help forum. Its full of complete nabs who don't know what DOS is, or mess up simple actions like copying files. Those are NOT the old time gamers......
  • edited October 2009
    bobdevis wrote: »
    It's connected I guess, but very loosely.

The more you play computer games, the more you appreciate having powerful machine, the more likely you are to spend more money on a PC.
    This completely ignores the console gamers, the not-so-wealthy people and the very wealthy people (who may overspend) though.

Anyway, I don't agree with the pre-premise that you have to be an old gamer to appreciate adventure games. Take a look at the ScummVM help forum. Its full of complete nabs who don't know what DOS is, or mess up simple actions like copying files. Those are NOT the old time gamers......

I still don't understand the logic behind thinking. Why would an older person have more appreciation for a more powerful computer? When people get older usually stuff like big dick computers take a back seat to ever expanding family commitments. Hobbies like video games lose priority to boring things like children and mortgages.

The pre-premise that you have to be old to enjoy adventure games has something to it but not the way you've worded it. You don't have to be old to appreciate adventure games, that's just silly. There are however a larger percentage of older gamers playing now because it's been ten years since adventure gaming has been relevant so most of the old fans that are coming back are, understandably, older then they were when the genre went into dormancy. I don't think anybody is saying that you have to be old to appreciate adventure games and if they are then they are idiots.
  • edited October 2009
    Sam and Max Season 3 should be top priority! It's what I compare all other modern adventure games too, least of which Telltales' other series. Please, please, Telltale, make this your next project!
  • edited October 2009
    Sam and Max Season 3 should be top priority! It's what I compare all other modern adventure games too, least of which Telltales' other series. Please, please, Telltale, make this your next project!

I think it is almost confirmed as their next project. In fact, if it wasn't for ToMI, episodes of it would probably be coming out right now. I'd rather ToMI but don't worry, S&M Season 3 is coming. We'll probably be hearing an announcement at the end of the year.
  • edited October 2009
    Though they are both very popular, we can all live for another......year or so for the next season. So until then......CALM DOWN!!!! (No offence).....
  • edited October 2009
    So I'm abit confused...

Will this be called season 3?

Or thanks to XBLA - will it be called Sam & Max Save the Scrambling Corporate Presence

{or something like that}?
  • edited October 2009
    I'm holding onto my free episode coupon until either sam & max 3 or loom come out
  • edited October 2009
    I dont know about anyone else, but I'm starting to buy more into the rumor that S3 is vaporware. Accroding to several sites (nothing official I might add before TTG jumps me) is that S+M isnt selling as well as some of the other franchises and because the plot was prety well wrapped up in S2, they are going to simply "not get around to it" and release other games, letting S2 be the end of the series.

Again, this was NOT from ANYONE from TTG, it was speculation of members of several gaming sites, based on the continually changing speculated release dates of S3 from Jan 09, to Feb 09, to Aug 09, to sometime-in-2010, etc...
  • edited October 2009
    Ashton wrote: »
    I dont know about anyone else, but I'm starting to buy more into the rumor that S3 is vaporware.

Patience! I'm sure telltale will announce something soon.. Sam & Max is one of their strongest franchises
  • edited October 2009
    Hero1 wrote: »
    Patience! I'm sure telltale will announce something soon.. Sam & Max is one of their strongest franchises

I'm pretty sure, there working on it as we speak..S3 is not going to be vaporware, honestly if there was a franchise that put your company on the map, would you just say...meh..let's let ride...and do another franchise.
  • edited November 2009
    It's second only to MI for fan base on here. And Mike Stemmle said in an interview recently he was writing an episode.
  • edited November 2009
    Icedhope wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure, there working on it as we speak..S3 is not going to be vaporware, honestly if there was a franchise that put your company on the map, would you just say...meh..let's let ride...and do another franchise.

Never say never, there was this company, it probably not well known, it was named Lucas Arts, there were the kings of Adventure games, but suddenly some wise person told them, (hey adventure gaming is dead and starwars IN!) and then they canceled it all and made alot of Starwars games to milk the cow for money and waste their skills.

I know its a sick world, lets just hope it doesnt happen to Telltale :eek:

#
    oh yeah and i vote for not only office to stay, but also having the hall way, i think Telltale have learned that all those skipping around empty locations are bad, i always hated how they always like Teleport in sam and max, just having the stairs inside and hallway adds alot, and give room for even more crazy stuff :) im sure there is lots of wierd things going on in even their own building.
  • edited November 2009
    Ashton wrote: »
    Again, this was NOT from ANYONE from TTG, it was speculation of members of several gaming sites, based on the continually changing speculated release dates of S3 from Jan 09, to Feb 09, to Aug 09, to sometime-in-2010, etc...
    The release date was pushed back because they got the rights to Monkey Island and decided to do that first. I remember reading that in more than one place.
  • edited November 2009
    Shwoo wrote: »
    The release date was pushed back because they got the rights to Monkey Island and decided to do that first. I remember reading that in more than one place.

My only complaint with this (other than the obvious release date being pushed back) is I'm concerned with the sheer volume of lisences they're working with. They will have to expand (or can some of the series) and if they expand that means they will need a larger payroll and they will raise the price of their games... Also untill they expand they will be spreading themselves thinner and thinner and taking longer on games or sacrificing quality...

Also it irks me personally because I left the site for just under a year because "Season 3 will be released in Jan" and I didnt want to blunder into spoilers...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.