Where the hell is Sam & Max Season 3

Comments

• edited November 2009
    xbskid wrote: »
    I hope you're not including Tales of Monkey Island's movement controls in that expectation.

velmo8.gif
  • edited November 2009
    Hehe yeah, i must admit thhe control will always be a step in the wrong direction, some point and click and way way better UI. The UI in TOMI was just way to big, clunky and wierd.

I must say i sure do miss the "Look at" "Pull" and kinda options, that really added another layer to the old scumm games, without it being overly complex.
  • edited November 2009
    Probably I'm the only one in this camp, but I like the direct control with the keyboard. (And I hate the verb based system, but that probably just me).

The thing I don't get is why they can't also code the old way if its still working for the hot spots. That all my gripe about it.
  • edited November 2009
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    Hehe yeah, i must admit thhe control will always be a step in the wrong direction, some point and click and way way better UI. The UI in TOMI was just way to big, clunky and wierd.

I must say i sure do miss the "Look at" "Pull" and kinda options, that really added another layer to the old scumm games, without it being overly complex.

I will agree, I miss it but I don't. I find the controls, in ToMI easier to use, and gives for some cinematic feel but sometimes on a rare occasion mess with you.
    Whatever control scheme they have...it will probably be for the better.
  • edited November 2009
    I've got used to all the different controls over the years and I still prefer the one LucasArts used for Full Throttle and CMI. The shoehorned-in verb selection in SMI: SE was so bad for me, I went back to old mode every time I needed to do something other than walk. I've got used to Tales' interface but it's more my machine being slow that makes the cursor jump all over the place. I liked the Sam & Max Season 2 interface a lot.

I'm glad the likes of Maniac Mansion/Zakk McKracken/Last Crusade, Sam & Max Hit the Road and EMI have been put to rest. I found those a pain in the arse.
  • edited November 2009
    Yes, where it is, I finally went back to season 2 and I'm almost finished with it.
  • edited November 2009
    doodo! wrote: »
    Yes, where it is, I finally went back to season 2 and I'm almost finished with it.

i'm starting, both seasons over now.
  • edited November 2009
    It's been a while, so much that data of the some episodes are corrupted. Night of the Raving Dead gives me an audio error, and Chariots of the Dogs simply does not open (which is my favorite episode, gee).
  • edited November 2009
    GinnyN wrote: »
    Probably I'm the only one in this camp, but I like the direct control with the keyboard. (And I hate the verb based system, but that probably just me).

The thing I don't get is why they can't also code the old way if its still working for the hot spots. That all my gripe about it.

I prefer direct control by far, to the point that playing a game with point and click movement feels as ancient as using a text parser at this point.
  • edited November 2009
    Pale Man wrote: »
    I prefer direct control by far, to the point that playing a game with point and click movement feels as ancient as using a text parser at this point.

Agree.
  • edited November 2009
    I acctually prefer a hybrid control like Sierra used (icons for "look", "walk", "do", "inventory" and "setup") However I have nothing the current TTG setup of one click does everything. I'm not much for drect-control in a point-and-click adventure in part because you may end up running all the time to try and find the secrets. (I'm currently playing a JRPG for Xbox 360 called "Blue Dragon" and nearly everyfreakin' item on the screen could be a hidden container! I spend HOURS every time I get to a new city just running upto items and pressing the 'search/action' button!)

The text parsers were a lot more fun because, if sued correctly, a LOT more humor could be crammed in. (like clicking "talk" then an inanimate object and getting "the chair doesnt seem to be much of a conversationist" or "eat" and clicking a character on the screen "he doesnt like me much, so I'd probably have indijestion") But it was very frustrating going through 15 menu choices to figure out just which one worked (akin to the old "guess the verb" in Interactive Fiction -
    >Take the box
    What?
    >Pick up the box
    What?
    >get the box
    Box aquired
    Though I still love IF to death!)

I think TTG has a very good system that's not too complicated and most people can relate to.
  • edited November 2009
    Ashton wrote: »
    I acctually prefer a hybrid control like Sierra used (icons for "look", "walk", "do", "inventory" and "setup") However I have nothing the current TTG setup of one click does everything. I'm not much for drect-control in a point-and-click adventure in part because you may end up running all the time to try and find the secrets. (I'm currently playing a JRPG for Xbox 360 called "Blue Dragon" and nearly everyfreakin' item on the screen could be a hidden container! I spend HOURS every time I get to a new city just running upto items and pressing the 'search/action' button!)

The text parsers were a lot more fun because, if sued correctly, a LOT more humor could be crammed in. (like clicking "talk" then an inanimate object and getting "the chair doesnt seem to be much of a conversationist" or "eat" and clicking a character on the screen "he doesnt like me much, so I'd probably have indijestion") But it was very frustrating going through 15 menu choices to figure out just which one worked (akin to the old "guess the verb" in Interactive Fiction -
    >Take the box
    What?
    >Pick up the box
    What?
    >get the box
    Box aquired
    Though I still love IF to death!)

I think TTG has a very good system that's not too complicated and most people can relate to.

I would love for them to use the old interface that sierra used to use, but some times it was a little frustrating, but it was still fun as hell.
  • edited November 2009
    Ashton wrote: »

That's why I love TTG's current control scheme, using the mouse to look for and click on hotspots (or just pressing F4 in TMI or Tab in W&G to bring up the hotspots) and the keyboard to move the character from screen to screen.
  • edited November 2009
    I don't know, I'm at a mix for controls, I guess what will work will work for telltale and fans.
  • edited November 2009
    Why can't we have both? Direct control for those who want it, but still being able to move using point 'n' click? There was the makings of that in Wallace and Gromit.

Just don't ever do the drag and move thing again. That was terrible.
  • edited November 2009
    Icedhope wrote: »
    i'm starting, both seasons over now.

Yeah, I've been slowly doing it since September - forgot how good the second half of season one was, and how medicore Ice Station Santa - but of course those are my views, don't kill me for it. :p
    Falanca wrote: »
    It's been a while, so much that data of the some episodes are corrupted. Night of the Raving Dead gives me an audio error, and Chariots of the Dogs simply does not open (which is my favorite episode, gee).

Sorry to hear that - can't you re-download the episode from Telltale free of charge?
  • edited November 2009
    I did. Night's fine now. Chariots still doesn't seem to work :/ Pret-ty weird. Oh well...
  • edited November 2009
    behe101 wrote: »
    Why can't we have both? Direct control for those who want it, but still being able to move using point 'n' click? There was the makings of that in Wallace and Gromit.

I feel very differently. The mouse didn't work for navigation for me, and I'd rather use the arrow keys for 2D platform games than 3D adventure ones. I found Wallace & Gromit cringeworthy.

Sam & Max and Tales controls I rather liked. Besides, you can use the keyboard for navigation in Tales (or at least you can in my copies of Narwhal and Spinner Cay, not tried it in Leviathan or Trial).
  • edited November 2009

Because that negates the reason why the dropped it on purpose. The save time by not having to program hotspots everywhere and they don't have to restrict the camera to certain angles where the floor needs to always be visible. And there are other puzzle related benefits too which are better suited to drag/keyboard like the walking in a circle around the calendar or walking around on the rug to build up static electricity.

It's the same as why games are 3D instead of 2D - it's faster for them to build a 3D character once and have the computer move that around and animate using keyframes and computations and whatever in real-time. For 2D art you have to have artists draw every frame of a sprite and animation. You don't get to switch camera angles in 2D.

At some point you just have to ditch the old ways and enjoy the new ways. The game is still fun because it's monkey island and not the way it looks or the controls that are important. There are reasons behind everything.
  • edited November 2009
    Because that negates the reason why the dropped it on purpose. The save time by not having to program hotspots everywhere and they don't have to restrict the camera to certain angles where the floor needs to always be visible. And there are other puzzle related benefits too which are better suited to drag/keyboard like the walking in a circle around the calendar or walking around on the rug to build up static electricity.

I always believed it was because would be easier to port them from PC to Consoles, because they have to just map the controls to the controller buttons.

By the way, I think the controls comes with the Telltale Tool (You know, the development framework they use) and they don't have to actually code the controls all the time for every game. Of course, must be a real pain have to code the 2 controls in the framework, but probably they can do it for the next iteration of the Telltale Tool. I mean... Why not? (By the way, I'll say it again, I'm just guessing)
  • edited November 2009
    I like the control system they have now, but I think i liked the old SCUMM controls better
    mostly because the inventory was always visible, and item combinations were easier
  • edited November 2009
    Inventory wasn't automaticly visible on Hit the Road though, so if we're talking about Sam and Max, it's pretty much like that for the whole franchise.
  • edited November 2009
    I'm glad you said old not ancient because the interface for McKraken, Maniac Mansion and Indy1 were horrible
  • edited November 2009
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    I'm glad you said old not ancient because the interface for McKraken, Maniac Mansion and Indy1 were horrible

Yeah, they were..but Lucas art seemed to simplify as time went on, I think they had it perfect for hit the road.

But maybe that's because I liked the sierra esque interface.
  • edited December 2009
    Icedhope wrote: »
    Yeah, they were..but Lucas art seemed to simplify as time went on, I think they had it perfect for hit the road.

But maybe that's because I liked the sierra esque interface.

That's funny because I hated the HTR/more recent Sierra interface. Right-click for default action and either inventory at bottom of screen or tab, for me.

The best interfaces (I think) were MI2/MI1CD/Indy2 and CMI/Full Throttle. Those were easy.
  • edited December 2009
    That's funny because I hated the HTR/more recent Sierra interface. Right-click for default action and either inventory at bottom of screen or tab, for me.

The best interfaces (I think) were MI2/MI1CD/Indy2 and CMI/Full Throttle. Those were easy.

I prefer the CMI/Full Throttle ones myself. I played SMI in 2006, and there were just wayyy too many verbs: that early SCUMM system hasn't aged very well at all. I got stumped on a few puzzles that I knew the answer to, but hadn't tried the correct verb with.
  • edited December 2009
    Nah, best interfaces were King's Quest and Space Quest. Maybe the Infocom parser. Man, that was an awesome parser.
  • edited December 2009
    Nah, best interfaces were King's Quest and Space Quest. Maybe the Infocom parser. Man, that was an awesome parser.

I'd also throw in Quest For Glory (III, IV, V) because it handled combat well

oh man... Infocom Parser... so you want to turn S+M into ZORK I? *evilgrin* oh the fun back in the day on my Comadore 64 typing "Kill Thief" all night....
  • edited December 2009
    Kroms wrote: »
    I prefer the CMI/Full Throttle ones myself. I played SMI in 2006, and there were just wayyy too many verbs: that early SCUMM system hasn't aged very well at all. I got stumped on a few puzzles that I knew the answer to, but hadn't tried the correct verb with.

I liked that they had all those verbs. It allowed for so many more jokes.

"I don't wanna pick him up. I don't think he likes me that way"

*Guybrush drowns*
    *BOB* *FLOAT* *ROT* *DECAY*

lol
  • edited December 2009
    lecharles wrote: »
    I liked that they had all those verbs. It allowed for so many more jokes.

"I don't wanna pick him up. I don't think he likes me that way"

*Guybrush drowns*
    *BOB* *FLOAT* *ROT* *DECAY*

lol

See thats what makes me torn between LA and Sierra, but as for sam and max I think the way they have it now works perfectly. But we will see when the time comes.
  • edited December 2009
    The Curse of Monkey Island is probably my favorite interface.
  • edited April 2014
  • edited December 2009
    Last ToMI slated for Dec 8th. Can an announcement for Sam & Max S3 be far behind? I've been playing all these with my kids and I think it's all they want for Xmas is a S&M announcement. My son can recite most of Max's jokes...and still has room in his brain to remember his homework!...sometimes.. :(
  • edited December 2009
    danewsh wrote: »
    Last ToMI slated for Dec 8th. Can an announcement for Sam & Max S3 be far behind? I've been playing all these with my kids and I think it's all they want for Xmas is a S&M announcement.

I want the same thing for Christmas too. *sniffle* Man, do I miss those guys ... :(
  • edited December 2009
    Is that too much to ask?
    Well, as far as Telltale is concerned....yes.
  • edited December 2009
    lecharles wrote: »
    I like the control system they have now, but I think i liked the old SCUMM controls better
    mostly because the inventory was always visible, and item combinations were easier

Controls for Sam and Max:Like.
    Controls for MI:Like
    Controls for W&G: I've got an issue with the white rectangle always highlighting objects in the room as you walk around. It's like a hint you can't turn off. I feel sometimes like I've been gypped out of finding something on my own.
  • edited December 2009
    but anyway, back to S&M season 3.
    1 day till tales is done, and another day or two to play it. after that, if S&M isn't announced, there will be nothing we currently know about future tell tale projects, and my life will be empty
  • edited December 2009
    No, not so much empty as disappointed. But Telltale usually does a good job, so I'm waiting for what they have next.
  • edited December 2009
    Well a huge amount of people are gonna hit the Telltale site tomorrow.. it would be a good day to announce something.
  • edited December 2009
    Hero1 wrote: »
    Well a huge amount of people are gonna hit the Telltale site tomorrow.. it would be a good day to announce something.

As by a lot of people you mean the people who regularly hit the site on a day to day basis or newcomers and such?

I wouldn't bet on them announcing anything tomorrow, because there is still a lot of hype of Ch.5...I'm saying will know something by at least the end of the month to the middle of january.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.