iPad version apparently exists (and is out?)

edited April 2010 in Sam & Max
http://toucharcade.com/2010/04/02/some-early-ipad-games-that-have-our-attention/
Inspired by Steve Purcell's comic series Sam & Max, Lucas Arts in 1993 released the SCUMM-based adventure Sam & Max Hit the Road to much critical acclaim. Sequels followed and the odd, starring duo gathered something of a cult following. Those in the cult will be happy to see the just-released iPad title from Telltale Games, Sam & Max Episode 1: The Penal Zone.

iTunes store link

Unexpected!

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Buying when I get an iPad! This is the main reason I want an iPad now!
  • edited April 2010
    Wait... This means if you have an iPad emulator or something, you could play The Penal Zone TODAY! OMG
  • edited April 2010
    That's weird, I didn't think the game was even finished yet. Belated April Fools?
  • edited April 2010
    It was released on April Fool's Day, yes. But it has the first look at the
    new inventory system
    used in TDP, as well as the fact that Apple scans and approves or rejects any apps, so it would have to be legit. I'm jsut surprised this came out without even a blog post. Apple screwed up, methinks? Not meant to be released on iTunes until the 15th? You decide!
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Oh hey. Neat.
  • Awesome. I love Telltale. They are really sticking to their word about putting their games on every platform.

+1 respect
  • edited April 2010
    I downloaded iTunes so I could look at the listing (I'd been meaning to get it anyway), and
    220MB

Holy crap, that's huge.
  • edited April 2010
    I wonder if after downloading it you get an April fools message.
  • edited April 2010
    omg
  • edited April 2010
    I bought it just because I can :D ... I'd love to know if I can share save games between platforms (particularly Mac and iPad) or if I'm "stuck" playing through an episode on one platform or another
  • edited April 2010
    What the... why is it out already and why doesn't Telltale have a news about this on the website?
  • edited April 2010
    good grief. I'd suppose that this will run better than the eventual wii version :P

...now i want an iPad.
  • edited April 2010
    lastfuture wrote: »
    I bought it just because I can :D ... I'd love to know if I can share save games between platforms (particularly Mac and iPad) or if I'm "stuck" playing through an episode on one platform or another

if you can be sure of one thing, it's that apple will make you pay twice. i think it's a launch title though, so in theory it should be available now, and usable on ipad when it ships saturday....
  • edited April 2010
    and for all you who are thinkin of gettin the ipad sdk just to play sam and max on the simulator, sorry, you can't use anything you've bought from the app store on the simulator, i know i've tried, it only simulates the iphone os, however does not emulate the ipad processor, all apps from the app store crash when you try.... so... that's $10 down the drain... unless i spend $499 on an ipad to make it not a waste. it was so worth a shot though
  • edited April 2010
    pwblaine wrote: »
    if you can be sure of one thing, it's that apple will make you pay twice. i think it's a launch title though, so in theory it should be available now, and usable on ipad when it ships saturday....
    I'm pretty sure it runs on iPod Touch and iPhone too... just like any other App.
  • edited April 2010
    Wizpig wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it runs on iPod Touch and iPhone too... just like any other App.

nope, this is an iPad exclusive app. custom made for the iPad, it seems.
  • edited April 2010

Nope, it's just for the iPad. But, what do I know? Tomorrow my cousins are giving me an iTunes card for my birthday (they told me), so i'm just gonna buy it and if it doesn't work on an iPod Touch, more of a reason for my mum to get me an iPad for christmas (although she already is)
  • edited April 2010
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    Oh hey. Neat.

Wait, did you not know about this? Did Apple sneak into Telltale's office and steal this? Conspiracy!
  • edited April 2010
    Get me an ipad now.
  • joeldeejoeldee Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    While you can see the iPad store listing, it won't be purchase-able until tomorrow (Sat, April 3)

iPads won't be available to people before then of course anyways :)

- Joel, Telltale
  • edited April 2010
    Any chance of an early PC release too? Pretty please with sugar on top?
  • edited April 2010
    V_Ben wrote: »
    nope, this is an iPad exclusive app. custom made for the iPad, it seems.
    Nope, it's just for the iPad. But, what do I know? Tomorrow my cousins are giving me an iTunes card for my birthday (they told me), so i'm just gonna buy it and if it doesn't work on an iPod Touch, more of a reason for my mum to get me an iPad for christmas (although she already is)

Ohhh, ok :)
    I think it's pretty epic that the game is out but no one (?) can play it because the platform isn't out yet. :winslow:
  • edited April 2010
    Huh. I honestly didn't think the iPad had the horsepower to pull it off.
  • edited April 2010
    I only have a puny ipod touch.

?id=725X1342&site=mrbarlow.wordpress.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmrbarlow.files.wordpress.com%2F2009%2F08%2Fi-has-a-sad.jpg&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fmrbarlow.wordpress.com%2F2009%2F08%2F
  • edited April 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    I only have a puny ipod touch.

?id=725X1342&site=mrbarlow.wordpress.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmrbarlow.files.wordpress.com%2F2009%2F08%2Fi-has-a-sad.jpg&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fmrbarlow.wordpress.com%2F2009%2F08%2F

Join the club.
    You could always try searching for a way to jailbreak your iPod to trick your computer into THINKING it is an iPad...
  • edited April 2010
    Ohhh, ok :)
    I think it's pretty epic that the game is out but no one (?) can play it because the platform isn't out yet. :winslow:

I don't know why, but every time someone quotes me I get that fuzzy feeling! :cool:
  • joeldeejoeldee Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    The iPad version looks really good.

Releases for other platforms coming April 15.

This iPad opportunity came along for the platform's debut date, an opportunity the team jumped on :)
  • edited April 2010
    joeldee wrote: »
    This iPad opportunity came along for the platform's debut date, an opportunity the team jumped on :)

Does this make it the first "proper" game on the platform then? Either way i'm sure you guys are pretty chuffed with yourselves
  • edited April 2010
    i dont think its the first proper game, seeing as even tiny in browser flash games count as proper games, but because it is one of the iPad's launch titles, it will most likely feature on the main page of the iPad app store and the iTunes store sometime soor=n, opening more people up to the wonders of Sam & max (eew) and TTG, so i reckon Telltale would be pretty pleased!
  • edited April 2010
    i dont think its the first proper game, seeing as even tiny in browser flash games count as proper games

Too bad iPad doesn't have Flash support then, isn't it? :D
  • edited April 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Too bad iPad doesn't have Flash support then, isn't it? :D

Zing! And also... waaaaaa?

I heard that before but I refused to believe it, even the Wii supports Flash in it's own wee way
  • edited April 2010
    JedExodus wrote: »
    even the Wii supports Flash in it's own wee way

whatyoudidthe128620868040129713.jpg
  • edited April 2010
    Dammit, I didn't even mean that! For a pun it was pretty catastrophic.

I'll see myself out
  • edited April 2010
    I love you, TellTale.

Now I just need to wait until iPad gets avalaible in Taiwan, and I'll be the happiest guy on earth. iPad screams "adventure games", and the best today adventure games company develops on it. I am happy. I want to steal an iPad at the exit of the factory, now.
  • edited April 2010
    Whaa?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    There are plenty of great looking games sitting in the iPad app store right now waiting to be bought, and Sam & Max ep 301 is one of them. It's very cool to have the opportunity to end up on something like the iPad at launch.

Tell your friends ;)
  • edited April 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    There are plenty of great looking games sitting in the iPad app store right now waiting to be bought, and Sam & Max ep 301 is one of them. It's very cool to have the opportunity to end up on something like the iPad at launch.

Tell your friends ;)

i already am!
    (i also made the official thread on GAF, to let everybody there know about the iPad thing :P)
  • edited April 2010
    This is... well, good for people with an iPad, I guess. Though I can't help but feel slightly behind, having to wait an extra 12 days to get it on PC.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    lombre wrote: »
    This is... well, good for people with an iPad, I guess. Though I can't help but feel slightly behind, having to wait an extra 12 days to get it on PC.

Internally we decided that if we could get the iPad release done in time to make it out for the April 3rd launch, it was probably worth it for the company. If we hadn't made that date, it would have been coming out on the 15th along with the other platforms. Since we were given the opportunity by Apple to try and be a part of the launch, though, we decided it was worth not passing it by. Hopefully you don't fret too much though, because the PC version is awesome and worth the extra week and a half... in my opinion.
  • edited April 2010
    Being a launch title on any platform launch usually equals massive success, so I applaud your ability to get in on the ground floor. :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.