iPad version apparently exists (and is out?)

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Yohmi wrote: »
    iPad is not a computer. It's a locked and limited device. It's just like a big iPod touch, and that's why it's so interesting. Since now, we never had the opportunity to use such a big very well working multitouch input (many multitouch devices have poor sensors). Since now, we never had the chance to use it with an UI made for that input (a click is not a touch, it's not the same thing at all).
    It is not a computer, it's a small multitouch device. Remember when the first iPhone was launched, there was no AppStore. Just webapps. Then, Apple saw that webapps couldn't replace real apps, so they provided a SDK, they decided, for the convenience of devs and end users, to make an online market, like on gaming console, where every project is accepted by the brand, then protectd by DRM and put on the search engine, hosted, and avalaible in a 1-click purchase people trust. Things are a lot easier for the developpers (no SN, online store to manage, referencing etc.), and easier than ever for the end user, who know where to search, and once you pushed the "buy" button, it's done. It's not the future of computing, it's probably not the future of mac, it's just the convenient user experience you buy when you buy an iPhone or an iPad. The AppStore is a convenience store. The iPad is a convenient device.
    Mac OS X still let you develop what you want, and windows, Linux, and otherplaforms still exist. Not a big deal.
    I don't understand why all those big words, don't you know Nintendo's Quality Seal ? more than 20 years of verification, and no one complains. Sure, it sometimes can lead to akward situations, like carmageddon 64 where the goal is to kill dinosaurs instead of people, however, for the end user, the end user who don't want to bother with computers all the time, it makes sense.

Please stop making akward comparisons with real problems like China, it's more than childish and bad taste, we're just talking about a cool multitouch device you don't want to buy. You're too serious in some way, it's only entertainment and covenience here, and what is covenient for me may not be that convenient for you, no reason to get angry or have any hate. I know enough people who don't care about what you say if in the other hand we bring them convenience.

Buy a joojoo if you want, who cares ? If it's what you like, do it ! Just don't vomit on people and companies like that. When I vomit, it means I should see a doctor.

thank you. this is what I wanted to say pretty much.
    If you don't like something, complain to the people who make it, not the people who like it
  • edited April 2010
    By the way everyone, I just wanted to say that I'm extremely happy for Telltale to get this opportunity. I hope you sell tons of copies and make lots and lots of money.
  • edited April 2010
    this is a wonderfun sign of things to come, the real question is will we see an even more scaled down version of the TTEngine for the iphone/touch. dammit i want my tales of mobile island!!
  • edited April 2010
    Now I'm really impatient to see some Youtube video of what it looks and feels like :)
    And hopefully a vimeo, YouTube or dailymotion one, because my iPhone will never be able to see crappy flash ^^
  • edited April 2010
    They cleared out the tags... I sense the censor hard at work. I came to TTG to *escape* the State's censors, not to embrace their ghastly work!
  • edited April 2010
    "So why don't you make like a tree, and get outta here ?"
  • edited April 2010
    "So why don't you make like a tree, and get outta here ?"

Because I don't... know when... to stop.
  • edited April 2010
    Because I don't... know when... to stop.

A man chooses...
    :p
  • edited April 2010
    glo_kidd wrote: »
    A man chooses...
    :p

In the end, all that matters to me ... is me. And all that matters to you... is you. It is the nature of things.
  • edited April 2010
    In the end, all that matters to me ... is me. And all that matters to you... is you. It is the nature of things.

No no, I agree with most you've said, just playing along :p

"No, says the man in Cupertino. It has too many bewbs..." lol

Probably will still get one of the damn things though if they end up releasing tales on it ;)
  • edited April 2010
    glo_kidd wrote: »
    No no, I agree with most you've said, just playing along :p

"No, says the man in Cupertino. It has too many bewbs..." lol

Probably will still get one of the damn things though if they end up releasing tales on it ;)

I have to admit, were it at a proper price for a toy, I'd consider getting one. However, one cannot sell a toy at a computer's price.
  • edited April 2010
    Come on, there is already a thread in general section where you can say how overpriced and useless iPad is. Please stop trolling like that, it's quite desperating at the end, like some people invested by some anti-apple quest, compelled to vomit everywhere how people enjoying things are wrong to do so and to be happy. Okay, ipad is an useless overpriced totalitarist toy. Now can we move on to something more constructive ? like the subject of the thread for example, which is obviously not the iPad but Sam&Max ? ;) Thank you.
  • edited April 2010
    Come on, there is already a thread in general section where you can say how overpriced and useless iPad is. Please stop trolling like that, it's quite desperating at the end, like some people invested by some anti-apple quest, compelled to vomit everywhere how people enjoying things are wrong to do so and to be happy. Okay, ipad is an useless overpriced totalitarist toy. Now can we move on to something more constructive ? like the subject of the thread for example, which is obviously not the iPad but Sam&Max ? ;) Thank you.

But... but I enjoy complaining. It's kind of my thing. :(
  • edited April 2010
    What if you hate Apple's locked-down portable devices and want the entire division to crash and burn?

Then you take a breath, turn off the computer, and go outside and play in the yard. If that doesn't work, or no yard is available, then go find a roomful of kittens to play with. If still no luck, seek help.
  • edited April 2010
    Stumble upon them? At ludicrous App Store prices, I don't think it will be a first line impulse buy...

I know AR is trolling, and I'm a bit late, but I have to bite on this since I didn't see anyone else.

I think in general the App Store has been pressure to push app prices DOWN. Significantly. The average app price is something just under $2. Most games available on other platforms are available on the iPhone/Pod for a fraction of the price. It's not uncommon for very popular, pretty high-quality games to sell for $1 or $2. In fact, one of the biggest complaints from developers has been that the ONLY way to make money on iPhone apps is via big volumes - they just can't charge enough for apps on the platform.

That's not to say there aren't a handful of cases of price gouging, but in general the pricing structure is WAY below 1) Desktops, 2) other phone platforms (at least, before iPhone came out), 3) downloadable content from consoles.

If they prices are "ludicrous", then they're "ludicrously" low.
  • edited April 2010
    Wait, the iPad does something well? And by "well", I mean better than any current or upcoming tablet PC that costs the same or less.

I'll start by saying that I don't plan to buy one, but I do think that the UI, the entire interface schema, and the app design libraries and distribution system really set it apart from anything else.

It's an appliance. It's not a general-purpose computer. It's a very POWERFUL appliance, but intended as an appliance nonetheless.

My parents bought my non-computer-using uncle a Netbook running XP last Xmas. It's super-cramped. It's really difficult to do anything with photos on it (even after setting things up for him as well as possible), and as a result he's used his digital camera twice, maybe. There is zero chance he will EVER install new software on it. Ever. Basically he will use a fraction of its capabilities because the whole Windows/desktop OS paradigm is just a mess, even if it's more flexible.

They should have gotten him an iPad. He would be getting much, much more out of the system for about $100 more.

In fact, my wife's parents are in the same boat. I'll probably recommend one as their next system, depending on what happens in the next year or so.

That said, I agree with a lot of people - one of the main reasons I have no plans to get one is its closed nature. 80% of the time its limitations would be fine with me (perhaps even more of what I want out of a home system - I never, EVER want to be a systems administrator, and generally I don't even want to know that the system contains "files"), but that 20% that I'd want more is a dealbreaker.
  • edited April 2010
    The iPad is supposed to be a computing device.

No, it's not.
  • edited April 2010
    Ripcord wrote: »
    No, it's not.

Oh, that's right. It's a toy; a ludicrous, overpriced toy. Tell me, if it's not supposed to be a computer, why is it priced like one? Furthermore, why do you have four consecutive posts? Couldn't you have copied and pasted quotes into one post? Multiposts looks rather... sloppy when it can be avoided, and I cannot help but feel you are simply dredging up old arguments. Here I was thinking I was a troll.
  • edited April 2010
    Furthermore, why do you have four consecutive posts? Couldn't you have copied and pasted quotes into one post? Multiposts looks rather... sloppy when it can be avoided, and I cannot help but feel you are simply dredging up old arguments. Here I was thinking I was a troll.

Eh. It's more likely he/she just doesn't know how to quote multiple posts in one reply yet.

Ripcord -- for future reference, there's a "multi-quote" button located in the lower right-hand corner of every post. It's the one with the large, black end quote and plus sign.

When you see posts you want to quote, click on this instead of the normal Quote button. The button itself should turn red instead of activating a redirect to the Reply to Topic page. Continue clicking on this button in the various posts you want to reply to. When you're done, scroll to the bottom and click on "Post Reply." The reply box will now display all of the posts you've quoted, according to the order in which you clicked the multi-quote buttons.

Hope this helps!
  • edited April 2010
    Eh. It's more likely he/she just doesn't know how to quote multiple posts in one reply yet.

Eh, it was more a matter of stream-of-consciousness replies. I really had only planned to reply to one, but the impulse to hit the reply button as I walked through the thread a second time overwhelmed me. I could have gone back later and edited the messages to combine them all into one, but that would have just left 3 blank, edited replies.

That said, two posts complaining about my multiposts? Sheesh =) Weren't we already far enough off-topic?

"Yet" is funny. Like I've been here for a week, and a dozen posts.

It's a toy; a ludicrous, overpriced toy. Tell me, if it's not supposed to be a computer, why is it priced like one?

It's not.

There's a lot of electronics stuff priced in the $500 range. Hell, a ton of smartphones from HTC, Google, Palm, RIM, etc are at LEAST that expensive (discounting the carrier subsidies), perhaps even double that price. Are they also "priced like a computer"?

While it'd be nice if it was priced lower, it doesn't seem out of line to me. A 16GB iPod touch these days would be about $250US, and I'm assuming since you bought one that you don't feel they're ludicrously priced. You're saying it's not reasonable, hardware-wise, for an iPad to cost 2x an iPod?

Here I was thinking I was a troll.

You are. You should probably go back to it, as well - when you stop roleplaying you just come across as a <namecalling removed>
  • edited April 2010

It's not.

There's a lot of electronics stuff priced in the $500 range. Hell, a ton of smartphones from HTC, Google, Palm, RIM, etc are at LEAST that expensive (discounting the carrier subsidies), perhaps even double that price. Are they also "priced like a computer"?

While it'd be nice if it was priced lower, it doesn't seem out of line to me. A 16GB iPod touch these days would be about $250US, and I'm assuming since you bought one that you don't feel they're ludicrously priced. You're saying it's not reasonable, hardware-wise, for an iPad to cost 2x an iPod?

You know what would send Apple a great message about their prices?

Not paying them.

You are. You should probably go back to it, as well - when you stop roleplaying you just come across as a <namecalling removed>

Mr Ripcord, I am deeply offended. Are you perhaps... a parasite?
  • edited April 2010

I like how you ignored my point entirely, but I guess that's your thing =)
  • edited April 2010
    Eh, it was more a matter of stream-of-consciousness replies. I really had only planned to reply to one, but the impulse to hit the reply button as I walked through the thread a second time overwhelmed me. I could have gone back later and edited the messages to combine them all into one, but that would have just left 3 blank, edited replies.

That said, two posts complaining about my multiposts? Sheesh =) Weren't we already far enough off-topic?

"Yet" is funny. Like I've been here for a week, and a dozen posts.

Ah, I see. My bad. I knew you weren't trolling, so my next assumption was, "Hmm ... maybe he doesn't know how to multi-quote?" I didn't think too much about your post count or join date -- maybe because it took me awhile to learn about the multi-quote feature myself. In any case, it looks like I should've taken the third option. ^^;

Something on-topic: There was really only one thing I wanted out of an official Apple tablet -- a Wacom-Penabled device. I was hoping for something I could use as a digital sketchpad without investing in a Modbook. You could sort of do this already with a Pogo stylus and an iPhone/iPod Touch, and I can imagine said stylus works even better on a bigger, higher-res screen. But there was no pressure sensitivity, or a feasible way for third-party companies to create a more precise stylus. That, of course, hasn't changed with the iPad.

My wants/needs are my own, though, and they're pretty specific. There's still a lot of potential the iPad has yet to realize, and that trajectory may point somewhere I'm unlikely to follow. That's fine, really. Apple will make the products it wants to, and people who want them and have the cash will buy. Barring certain circumstances, I'm not going to fuss too much about what this all may or may not mean in the long run. I've got other things I'd rather attend to first.
  • edited April 2010
    I like how you ignored my point entirely, but I guess that's your thing =)

No, look, here's my point: the things that you mentioned costing a lot of money are often subsidized by telcoms. They expect you to pay out of pocket for an iPad, a device with limited functionality compared to even the iPhone. Come on, can't they at least include a camera and a USB port for fuck's sake?

I don't care if I break character, here. The fact that people just... BUY Apple's overpriced crap tablet and smile for "privilege" to do so is confounding and nigh infuriating.
  • edited April 2010
    I sure wish there were an off topic forum you guys could be having this BS discussion in instead of the Sam and Max one. Oh wait there is.
  • edited April 2010
    It is kind of true. If there are any complaints in this thread, you know, they should be related to Sam and Max on the iPad.

...By the way, why does it cost $15 more total on that platform, while PSN gets a lower or equal cost?
  • edited April 2010
    Hmmm, that's a good question. Can Telltale answer? Is it because of the cut that Apple takes? If so, is it more than what Steam/Sony/Nintendo/Gametap take/took?

Edit: Actually, I see the first episode on iPad costing $7. Where does the "$15 more total" come from? I'm not disagreeing, but I don't see it? Are you assuming the prices will go up to $10 per episode?

...Though it does have the same downsides of ordering (no DVD, no free episode, no other extras) than ordering from various other platforms (Steam, Wii, etc).
  • edited April 2010
    At the risk of finally being banned, I too would like to ask this question. Why, Telltale? Why?
  • edited April 2010
    Edit: Actually, I see the first episode on iPad costing $7. Where does the "$15 more total" come from? I'm not disagreeing, but I don't see it? Are you assuming the prices will go up to $10 per episode?
    Woah, weren't the prices....$9.99? Like, yesterday?

If they've gone down permanently, then good on Telltale.
  • edited April 2010
    Woah, weren't the prices....$9.99? Like, yesterday?

If they've gone down permanently, then good on Telltale.

They heard our complaints, perhaps?
  • edited April 2010
    It's on sale until April 18th at midnight, according to Fancy Flash Thingy #2 on the front page.

(Not sure if that's one minute after 11:59PM on April 17 or 18, though. Midnight expiration times always annoy me like that. Should be at the start of April 18 if it's accurate.)
  • edited April 2010
    Wapcaplet wrote: »
    It's on sale until April 18th at midnight, according to Fancy Flash Thingy #1 on the front page.

(Not sure if that's one minute after 11:59PM on April 17 or 18, though. Midnight expiration times always annoy me like that. Should be at the start of April 18 if it's accurate.)

Oh, so it IS $15 more for the whole season. I do believe there is still some explaining to be done, then. That extra $15 could buy a lot of ADAM...
  • edited April 2010
    Ah. Because the sale running now for PSN users has them paying less than the PC price, and the two platforms will have parity when the pre-order sale ends.
  • edited April 2010
    They've mentioned that the normal $9.99 pricing is in line with their XBLA and WiiWare prices, so it's not unprecedented that a season costs $15 more on a different platform.
  • edited April 2010
    The WiiWare episodes are also 10 dollars. I assume on platforms that don't offer the option to get the whole season, that's the price per episode, which makes getting all of them more expensive.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm sure this will all somehow be blamed on Apple as well.
  • edited April 2010

Not paying them.

Hell, I just realized - the Kindle DX? You know, the eBook reader that's the same size as the iPad, slow as molasses, black-and-white only appliance that's pretty much just an eBook reader? It's $489US.
  • edited April 2010
    No, you can't, the AppStore hides its iPad-only contents when you browse through your iPhone, and they now have created two separate categories in the store if you browse it via your iPad or personnal computer. Even if the iPad seems to share the same graphic component and the same amount of RAM as the iPhone 3GS, the A4 (the custom chip powering the iPad) runs at 1GHz, where the 3GS's one runs at 600MHz.
    However, some apps can embed an iPad and an iPhone version, but in that case, you won't be able to use the iPad optimised version of the app through your iPhone.
  • edited April 2010
    Furthermore, it is difficult for me to imagine that there's not an undue amount of restriction on the sort of products one can write in Xcode.

I've been developing for many platforms for a long time and developed multiple projects for the iPhone. I've never had any problems whatsoever and found it less restrictive then many other platforms. They all have restrictions, sure but Apple is not going further than any other company does.

And for only $0.99 to get out there as a developer to sell your product and you get to keep 70% of income, it's way way way easier for the average joe to develop and profit from their work than it is any other platform I have ever experienced, period.

I can guarantee that the design decisions behind the iPod, iPad, etc... it is intended to fit a specific subsection of the technical device market and you just aren't a part of that market. No product is going to fit everyone's needs and I never understood why someone would hate on a company for making a product that wasn't designed with that person in mind.

I think the true Apple company and the Apple in your imagination are not the same ones. Although the one from your imagination would probably make for an entertaining movie.

Edit: Oh, and back to the thread's actual topic. Yay for adventure games on portable, multitouch devices. I'm all for it even if I don't plan to get an iPad any time soon if ever. More people buying Sam and Max is good for all of us because it keeps the series going.
  • edited April 2010
    pfaffer wrote: »

I think the true Apple company and the Apple in your imagination are not the same ones. Although the one from your imagination would probably make for an entertaining movie.

I would love to see this movie. A great scene for the trailer:

Lab Monkey: "...smuggling, murder, rape... It all leads back to one place!"

Protagonist: "Give me a name!!" Here, protagonist brandishes a bayonet for no good reason.

Lab Monkey: "It's Apple!" Protagonist's face turns an ashen, ghostly white.

Protagonist: "OH MY GOD!" *random, meaningless, Hollywood explosion.*

*The logo shows up on a black screen* APPLE-OCALYPSE. COMING SOON.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.