iPad version apparently exists (and is out?)

Comments

• TorTor
    edited April 2010
    Yohmi wrote: »
    iPad screams "adventure games"
    I know! Playing adventure games on a touch screen is awesome. I own a tablet PC, and it was pretty cool to play Sam & Max Season 1 and 2 on it. (After the new control scheme in the later games though -- not that great)

Too bad Apple doesn't allow emulated applications on the app store, ScummVM and DosBox games might have been awesome on the iPad.

I'd be interested to know how the graphics quality of the iPad version of season 3 compares to the PC and console versions.

Oh yeah, and congrats to Telltale for getting a launch title on Apple's new device!
  • joeldeejoeldee Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    The iPad version takes advantage of the large screen, direct-touch interface.

It's a very fun way to play.
  • edited April 2010
    Testing that must have been pretty fun - especially getting your hands on an iPad early.
  • edited April 2010
    Gah. Annoying, but understandable. Snagging a launch title slot means being one of a select group of software that early adopters have to chose from. Still, it's slightly annoying.
  • edited April 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    Internally we decided that if we could get the iPad release done in time to make it out for the April 3rd launch, it was probably worth it for the company. If we hadn't made that date, it would have been coming out on the 15th along with the other platforms. Since we were given the opportunity by Apple to try and be a part of the launch, though, we decided it was worth not passing it by. Hopefully you don't fret too much though, because the PC version is awesome and worth the extra week and a half... in my opinion.
    But does this mean that the PC version is already finished, and you're technically holding it back, just to hit the release date? Or is the iPad-version a little less finished than the PC-version will be?
  • edited April 2010
    This is a great idea. I wish is was on itouch too, because I suddenly want an ipad.

a lot!
  • edited April 2010
    I think it was a wise choice a lot of players will buy it just to see what their brand new toy can do.
  • edited April 2010
    JedExodus wrote: »
    Zing! And also... waaaaaa?

I heard that before but I refused to believe it, even the Wii supports Flash in it's own wee way

That isn't a performance issue, but a deliberate manouver to weaken Adobe.

Apple is even spreading a campaign to convince sites to be "iPad-ready", by removing flash of course.

Apple has became the new Microsoft...

Tor wrote: »
    Too bad Apple doesn't allow emulated applications on the app store, ScummVM and DosBox games might have been awesome on the iPad.

... and it's now worse than Microsoft, controlling each and every application.

Disgusting.
  • edited April 2010
    Now we're going to be paraded with spoilers.

So will the walkthrough be up before the game as well?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    But does this mean that the PC version is already finished, and you're technically holding it back, just to hit the release date? Or is the iPad-version a little less finished than the PC-version will be?

The last bit of work on PC-specific interface tweaks was finished, I believe, yesterday, and is in test right now, with a build for reviewers soon to follow.
    GozzoMan wrote: »
    ... and it's now worse than Microsoft, controlling each and every application.

This can be solved by not buying an iPad, the same as it can be solved by not buying a tightly controlled Microsoft product like a Zune or Xbox 360. Macs, on the other hand, all ship with a free copy of Xcode, the development environment used to write their software, and nobody cares what you program and release with that.

For some people, the closed nature of the iPad, and of game consoles like the Xbox 360, bother them, because they aren't free to tinker with, but for many customers, having a closed down and simplified device around is refreshing. I build my own PCs from parts, and I've modded consoles in the past as well, but I'm beyond excited about having an iPad as well. I use them all for different things.
  • TorTor
    edited April 2010
    GozzoMan wrote: »
    That isn't a performance issue, but a deliberate maneuver to weaken Adobe. Apple is even spreading a campaign to convince sites to be "iPad-ready", by removing flash of course. Apple has became the new Microsoft...
    While I agree that Apple does a lot of questionable things, I believe that this specific instance of "Appleness" will be beneficial to everyone. A world wide web with less Flash in it would surely be a great thing.
  • edited April 2010
    I hope there is a demo with jokes specifically made for the demo like the ToMI demo had
  • edited April 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I hope there is a demo with jokes specifically made for the demo like the ToMI demo had

whhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa
  • edited April 2010
    the demo ended differently... not drastically or anything.. but its worth a play for the MI completionist in your life
  • edited April 2010
    A little late for april fools, guys.
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Wait, did you not know about this?

Somebody had to make a set of controls for the thing.
  • edited April 2010
    I hope that, if this is real, this won't become a regular thing.
  • edited April 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Too bad iPad doesn't have Flash support then, isn't it? :D

I meant that no matter the size, it counts as a game, not that you could just play flash games on the iPad.
  • edited April 2010
    Looking at some of the other titles out for the iPad it definitely looks like one of the more polished games...
  • edited April 2010
    I hope that, if this is real, this won't become a regular thing.

You hope that what won't? Multi-platform releases?
  • edited April 2010
    You hope that what won't? Multi-platform releases?
    "Week and a half early iPad launch" is how I'd interpret it.
  • edited April 2010
    "Week and a half early iPad launch" is how I'd interpret it.

If that's what they meant, I am willing to bet $25,000,000 that this was a one-time deal, what with wanting to be an iPad launch title. Unless a new platform launches at the release of every series/episode, I expect that subsequent releases will be nearly simultaneous.
  • edited April 2010
    If that's what they meant, I am willing to bet $25,000,000 that this was a one-time deal, what with wanting to be an iPad launch title. Unless a new platform launches at the release of every series/episode, I expect that subsequent releases will be nearly simultaneous.
    Yeah. I'm slightly peeved, but it's really not a major deal. PC users buying the game from Telltale still get the best experience overall. Pre-Order forums, free episode, lower price, owning it on a platform that won't be obsolete relatively soon, DVD, etc.
  • edited April 2010
    It's similar to the Gametap deal for the first season of Sam & Max though in this case it should just affect the 1st episode and not the rest.
  • edited April 2010
    I agree with Rather Dashing, and am pretty disappointed in this move. It's just hard for me to understand why, if being a launch title was such a big deal, they couldn't have released the PC version on the same day.
  • edited April 2010
    Yes, I did mean "I hope EVERY episode doesn't launch a week and a half early for iPad early adopters."
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    plrichard wrote: »
    I agree with Rather Dashing, and am pretty disappointed in this move. It's just hard for me to understand why, if being a launch title was such a big deal, they couldn't have released the PC version on the same day.

Because the PC version isn't ready for launch. As said elsewhere, we jumped at the chance to get in on the iPad launch at day one, but that didn't really touch the release schedule for PC. The iPad stuff was done by a tiny sliver of the game's team, while the main group continued to work on the main launches.
  • edited April 2010
    plrichard wrote: »
    I don't think it's a big deal. It's just a minor annoyance. Still, it doesn't affect what I paid for or the terms I bought it under, or what I've come to expect from Telltale. I also really think that this was just a one-time thing to get in on launch buzz.

I think the idea that Apple gave Telltale huge piles of money for 12 days of exclusivity or that it's anything at all akin to the GameTap deal is absolutely ridiculous.
  • edited April 2010
    Congrats to TTG... although you guys made me a sad kitty :(.
  • edited April 2010
    Quite selfish answers here. When there was the gametap deal, it wasn't even avalaible for other countries if I remember well. And guess what ? Season 2 is still not even subtitled in French, so in my home country, only a very few people can play it. I'll go further, I won't be able to play this new episode because I don't have any computer for now, iPad won't launch before a month in my home country, and probably a lot later in the country I'm currently living.
    Don't you want telltale to be on the spotlight ? To earn enough money so they can make games for PC, Mac, XBLA, PSN ? don't you want them to show at day-1 of a quite hyped product that adventure game is not dead at all ?

I really don't understand you, guys, it's just a matter of days, it won't even be late in any way. It's just a great opportunity for telltale to be on the spotlight, they deserve it, and they surely worked harder than ever to be on schedule for every version of the game, while this deadline, only known since a few weeks (iPad was delayed, remember ?), give them also the opportunity to enhance their popularity while maintaining their initial deal.

Everyone should be happy : no delay, new platform, and in this case, a new experience to come.
  • edited April 2010
    I agree Yohmi. And anyway, how could everyone be so bent out of shape on a Friday?

You'll get the episode at the time it was promised to you and you're still getting the best deal, now cheer up :)
  • edited April 2010
    Yohmi wrote: »
    Everyone should be happy : no delay, new platform, and in this case, a new experience to come.
    What if you hate Apple's locked-down portable devices and want the entire division to crash and burn?
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    It's just a business decision, and probably a very wise one at that - it'd be madness to turn down an opportunity to leverage off something as hyped as the iPad launch. I support TTG as a company and want them to be profitable, so I really don't have a problem with it (especially when it's only 12 days before the general release anyway). We'll still get the game when they said we'll get the game.

EDIT: Wrote this post and then saw what Yohmi and JedExodus had written in the interim... so yeah, what they said.
  • edited April 2010
    What if you hate Apple's locked-down portable devices and want the entire division to crash and burn?

Don't buy it. But! If I were to play Devils Advocate, Apple's portable devices bar the iPad are a phone and an MP3 player basically, these products from every other company are pretty damned rigid and can't be toyed with, Apple added a lot of functionality to them over the years which was then immitated by others. It's like a double-standard, nobody expects Nokia to support homebrew apps, but because Apple make comps and OS's they expect them to and hold them to higher standards.

That said I don't own any Apple products because I think they're for Starbucks visiting, Fleet Foxes listening, ironic shirt wearing namby pamby hipster goons.

I'll keep my 512mb USB stick MP3 player and my Sony Ericcson phone with the camera cover that opens in your pocket wasting all your battery life, thank you very much :p
  • TorTor
    edited April 2010
    JedExodus wrote: »
    nobody expects Nokia to support homebrew apps, but because Apple make comps and OS's they expect them to and hold them to higher standards.
    Nokia's smart phones use the Symbian S60 operating system, which predates the iPhone and has much better support for third party apps. It also has none of the heavy restrictions that Apple imposes. In my mind the iPhone is a big step back when it comes to third party application capabilities, but to be fair they did make the concept much more mainstream.
  • edited April 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    Because the PC version isn't ready for launch. As said elsewhere, we jumped at the chance to get in on the iPad launch at day one, but that didn't really touch the release schedule for PC. The iPad stuff was done by a tiny sliver of the game's team, while the main group continued to work on the main launches.

I mean, I'm really not that upset. It was just kind of a minor annoyance. Either way, I still have to finish season 2 anyway. I'm just pretty anti-Apple with anything except for MP3 players so yeah. But it's all good.
  • joeldeejoeldee Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Updating one of my earlier posts ... it turns out the iPad game is currently purchase-able at the iTunes store.

Those getting iPads can buy it now and have it all queued up and ready for their systems.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sam-max-episode-1-the-penal/id364177936?mt=8
  • TorTor
    edited April 2010
    joeldee wrote: »
    it turns out the iPad game is currently purchase-able at the iTunes store.

Those getting iPads can buy it now and have it all queued up and ready for their systems.
    Cool. You should send Stephen Fry a complimentary copy and have him review it with the same enthusiasm as his iPad review...
  • edited April 2010
    Well, congratulations to Telltale on securing this deal!

I guess I'm minority here, but I couldn't care less if some platforms get the game earlier - I already know mine comes out on April 15, so why fret?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.