The "whatever's on your mind" thread

Comments

• edited November 2010
    sonic colors come out in 3 days
  • edited November 2010
    coolsome wrote: »
    Metal Gear Solid hammers that point home a few times.

Rambo IV does a good job addressing true war too.
  • edited November 2010
    I feel like I'm the only one of my group of friends who stands still. I mean, everyone either has moved out, has a job or at least just progresses forward. Me, I feel like I'm a worthless scrub, incapable of doing anything which would give my life meaning.

On the other hand, I feel like I'm destined to feel like number two. It seems that I have the best ideas when I'm not entirely happy. In fact, most of the ideas I have are the result of something in my life I'm not happy about. Not only the depressing inspiration, but also the happy stuff, the need to have a happy ending.

You see, most writers use their depression to create even more depressing stories. I don't. I use it to discover what I really want, to create the more happy stories. It's pretty ironic actually. Sure, I'm capable of creating depressing stories, I have a few that are somewhat depressing, but those aren't the stories I'd love to write. I also don't write happy stories to make me feel better, I only write them because I have them in my head, and because I think they're brilliant ideas which could earn me some serious greens.

So yeah. if my depression is an indication, I'm pretty fucking brilliant.
  • edited November 2010
    Sooooo sore. That's what I get for sparring with people much stronger, faster, and more experienced than me.
  • edited November 2010
    Sparring at what?
  • edited November 2010
    I'd guess boxers...
  • edited November 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    I'd guess boxers...
    Not briefs?
  • edited November 2010
  • edited November 2010
    SunnyGuy wrote: »
    Sparring at what?

Yongmudo. It's like a combination of everything, which is short for getting kicked a lot. And occasionally thrown. Thank goodness we weren't doing that yesterday...
  • edited November 2010
    Just made soup, and it turned out awesome. Nice to know my cooking ability is not hampered by the fact that many times I'm just making shit up as I got along.
  • edited November 2010
    GaryCXJk wrote: »
    I feel like I'm the only one of my group of friends who stands still. I mean, everyone either has moved out, has a job or at least just progresses forward. Me, I feel like I'm a worthless scrub, incapable of doing anything which would give my life meaning.

On the other hand, I feel like I'm destined to feel like number two. It seems that I have the best ideas when I'm not entirely happy. In fact, most of the ideas I have are the result of something in my life I'm not happy about. Not only the depressing inspiration, but also the happy stuff, the need to have a happy ending.

You see, most writers use their depression to create even more depressing stories. I don't. I use it to discover what I really want, to create the more happy stories. It's pretty ironic actually. Sure, I'm capable of creating depressing stories, I have a few that are somewhat depressing, but those aren't the stories I'd love to write. I also don't write happy stories to make me feel better, I only write them because I have them in my head, and because I think they're brilliant ideas which could earn me some serious greens.

So yeah. if my depression is an indication, I'm pretty fucking brilliant.
    You're a writer? Any tips? I'm thinking of writing a novel myself. I already have a few ideas in my head.

And i'm sure everything will fall into place soon. People who take a backseat early on often get a much larger focus later in life, when everyone has calmed down a bit. And i'm sure, if you sat down and thought about it, you've probably acheived a great many things that may not seem important to you, but would be the envy of others.
  • edited November 2010
    Friar wrote: »
    Well, what about Cowboys & indians? People played that all the time when they were kids, and that has a pretty grotty underlying meaning. If you want to get down to it, it teaches discrimination and violence.

But the game in itself is innocent. Much like war games. They are simply a bit of fun. I abhore violence, but I can still enjoy shooters, because it's not real. It's escapism. Anyone who think actual war is the same as in or similair to the game (where one man can kill 100's in a row with just a few guns, where it's all action etc.) is frankly foolish. If they want to join the army based on those beliefs, than their intelligence is probably too low to secure a better job.
    For the majority of sensible people, enjoying a war game is not really any different to someone enjoying an action movie.

This wasn't meant as a gripe at anyone in particular, if anyone took it that way, I apologise.

Well maybe you and I are different in that aspect my friend, I've seen war first hand, and well...to me it's not a game, and even war reenactments hit home for me a little bit too much comfort, I personaly don't play the games for that reason alone.
  • edited November 2010
    D&D timez ahoy!
  • edited November 2010
    You're a writer? Any tips? I'm thinking of writing a novel myself. I already have a few ideas in my head.

And i'm sure everything will fall into place soon. People who take a backseat early on often get a much larger focus later in life, when everyone has calmed down a bit. And i'm sure, if you sat down and thought about it, you've probably acheived a great many things that may not seem important to you, but would be the envy of others.

The best help I could give you is, don't follow convention. If you're trying to aim for a certain quality, you're going nowhere.

Also, let others test-read for you. On print. First of all, reading from a screen is a pain in the buttocks, as it strains ones eyes. Also, test-reading it yourself doesn't give you an objective view of your own work. Also, let it be read by someone who is willing to give you an unbiased opinion.

That being said, I think it's mostly a matter of doing what you think is best. Like with programming or songwriting or even something like pixel art, there is no set convention, only tricks to supposedly make things easier.
  • edited November 2010
    mgrant wrote: »
    The guilt thing is definitely a cultural mindset though, I imagine it's kind of similar, but not quite the same, for the Irish, or do I assume too much?

This man summed it up better than I ever could
  • edited November 2010
    JedExodus wrote: »

I love Dylan Moran. He should so have been the next Doctor Who.

Also, this is the first time I've been able to access the forum all day...
  • edited November 2010
    You're a writer? Any tips?

Write stuff. The main reason for not getting things done is not writing. People find excuses and don't do it. Just write stuff, if it sucks you can always change it later, and in the process you'll improve your writing. It's like drawing, really, who waits until they can draw perfectly before they grab a pencil? Nobody, because that doesn't make any sense. You draw and by drawing you get better at it.
    It's the same thing here, don't delay it thinking you're waiting for better ideas. They might come to you while you're writing.
  • edited November 2010
    Also, all ideas are what they are, ideas. Whether they're good ideas or bad isn't up to you to decide. If you have an idea you think is good enoug for whatever you want to make, just do it. Unless it's something potentially lethal.

But still.

I have a ton of ideas. I can't write them all up, it's quite literally too much, but in my opinion they're all good ideas nonetheless. You'll never know if an idea is going to work until you get halfway through. As in, if you plan on writing a 100 page work, it takes 50 pages to find out if the idea really was a great idea.
  • edited November 2010
    Online funeral livestreams created because families feel so insecure in this country right now that they're scared of being gunned down in the funeral of their loved one (sadly justified in some cases)?

I swear my country never ceases to amaze and depress me.
  • edited November 2010
    Nevermind, put this in the new Meat Boy thread.
  • edited November 2010
    Mcrib is the bane of my existance.
  • edited November 2010
    Birthdays anymore are weird, if only for the number of "happy birthday" e-mails I get, reminding me of just how many forums I've signed up on and long forgotten. It's only 1:45 AM and I've already got nine of them, with more coming.
  • edited November 2010
    Found some old goosebumps books, and thinking that this coming week...I'm going to Nostalgia, hardcore.
  • edited November 2010
    Speaking of hardcore nostalgia, I've really been working through Power Rangers lately. I'm a pretty good distance into season 2, and I'm wondering how the hell I failed to notice the first time around when they started using different actors to dub over the morphed ranger sequences when the red, black, and yellow rangers quit the show.

Also, I'm noticing a lot more just how cute Trini was, which becomes sort of depressing when I start thinking about how Thuy Trang is dead every time I see her.
  • edited November 2010

Also, I'm noticing a lot more just how cute Trini was, which becomes sort of depressing when I start thinking about how Thuy Trang is dead every time I see her.

:( Yeah, I am sad now....
  • edited November 2010
    Happy Birthday, Guru!
  • edited November 2010
    Icedhope wrote: »
    Well maybe you and I are different in that aspect my friend, I've seen war first hand, and well...to me it's not a game, and even war reenactments hit home for me a little bit too much comfort, I personaly don't play the games for that reason alone.

Hmm... I didn't see it like that. I was only thinking from the point of view of others who hadn't been in a war. They undoubtedly know it's alot worse than what is portrayed, but I guess to people who have seen it first hand, like yourself, seeing it as so lighthearted will undoubtedly be alomost offensive. Or, if they are more realistic, bring back some horrible memories.

Again, If I offended you(or anyone) at all in my previous post, I'm sorry, it wasn't intended. I was just a little bit aggressive with my writing!

Also, thanks for the tips! What I am thinking of writing is actually a series of relatively short books. Maybe putting them together, following the progression of a country from babarian times, right through to the future.
  • edited November 2010
    I forgot how much I like Panera Bread.
  • edited November 2010
    Thanks to the screen share feature on Skype, I have started introducing a friend to the joys of Monkey Island via ToMI. Hopefully, I will have made a new fan out of her by the time we're through the season.
  • edited November 2010
    A fan out of her?

How about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTqIsB98a1E
  • edited November 2010
    ....I should punch you in the soul for that, but I won't because I'm laughing too hard.
  • edited November 2010
    A fan out of her?

How about

Thanks to this, I can never watch that movie with a straight face now.
  • edited November 2010
    Oh god XD

That guy has an awesome webcomic, so I'll forgive him for hurting my brain with that.
  • edited November 2010
    I hate when spinoffs get spinoffs.
  • edited November 2010
    SunnyGuy wrote: »
    Oh god XD

That guy has an awesome webcomic, so I'll forgive him for hurting my brain with that.

She's not a guy. But her webcomic is definitely awesome.
  • edited November 2010
    A fan out of her?

How about

This is all I can ever think about when I hear that song. I think I've even forgotten the original lyrics...
  • edited November 2010
    In the course of Dragonball including GT, how many times was the moon blown up?
  • edited November 2010
    I have just watched The Spiderwick Chronicles for the first time. It was alright. Doubt I'll watch it again though. I only have one major problem with it. It doesn't have its own soundtrack. Casper's Lullaby was clearly identifiable through three quarters of the film. It was really annoying. That song belongs to Casper, and Casper alone.
  • edited November 2010
    Jen Kollic wrote: »
    She's not a guy. But her webcomic is definitely awesome.

*facepalms* Doh, I seem to be doing that often these days.
  • edited November 2010
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    I have just watched The Spiderwick Chronicles for the first time. It was alright. Doubt I'll watch it again though.

I have seen it too, like you I doubt I will see it again. It was ok.

Time to take a shower, been working tonight and up in the morning again.
This discussion has been closed.