The "whatever's on your mind" thread

Comments

• edited June 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    LOL Forget it. I'm just thinking out loud.

it doesnt count as out loud unless you talk as you type
  • edited June 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    Words that are spelled the same and pronounced differently are called heteronyms.

produce: The garden was used to produce produce.
    refuse: The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
    polish: We must polish the Polish furniture.
    present: He is ready to present the present.
    bass: A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

I pronounce all of these the same >.> (two by two, that is).

I can think of "minute" too. "I'll be here in a minute minute".

The grammar ones are so confusing to me. For instance, when someone writes "could/should/would of" I usually don't understand the sentence until I read it a couple of times. I'm always wondering "where is the verb?? what is this supposed to mean?" You'd think I'd get used to it considering how common a mistake it is. I just figure it out faster, but I don't process it right away.

I think it's because non-native speakers learn the language grammatically. I was first taught the grammar rules, then the words, or both at the same time. And at any rate, I always knew how to write any given word before learning how it's pronounced.
    Native speakers were taught the words first, phonetically, then grammar rules, and for some people that didn't stick.
    For me, it's more likely that the part I'll forget is the pronunciation, because that's what I learnt last.
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I pronounce all of these the same >.> (two by two, that is).

I can think of "minute" too. "I'll be here in a minute minute".

The grammar ones are so confusing to me. For instance, when someone writes "could/should/would of" I usually don't understand the sentence until I read it a couple of times. I'm always wondering "where is the verb?? what is this supposed to mean?" You'd think I'd get used to it considering how common a mistake it is. I just figure it out faster, but I don't process it right away.

I think it's because non-native speakers learn the language grammatically. I was first taught the grammar rules, then the words, or both at the same time. And at any rate, I always knew how to write any given word before learning how it's pronounced.
    Native speakers were taught the words first, phonetically, then grammar rules, and for some people that didn't stick.
    For me, it's more likely that the part I'll forget is the pronunciation, because that's what I learnt last.

i don't think you can have a "minute minute", a minute is always the same!
  • edited June 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    It annoys me thoroughly when people whose first language is English don't know when to use their, they're or there properly in a sentence.

I agree with this as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Another one that gets me is bought and brought. Alot of people say things like they have brought the drink from the store and it really gets on my nerves.

Not many people like to be corrected though, which means they will never improve. I want you all to know, if you catch me saying or spelling something wrong, I would like to be corrected.
  • edited June 2010

You can too! It's just not scientifically accurate. When someone's calling you or something, you can totally answer "A minute minute!"

If you can say "two long hours" when two hours are always the same length, objectively, I fail to see why you couldn't do the same with minutes.
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    Alot of people say things like they have brought the drink from the store and it really gets on my nerves.

Well, they probably have, too :p

Also, you wrote "a lot" in a single word. I see that more and more often. Is it the new "all right => alright"?
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Also, you wrote "a lot" in a single word. I see that more and more often. Is it the new "all right => alright"?

Thanks for pointing that out! I just checked my dictionary and 'alright' is present, whereas 'alot' is not, so then I went onto Word and typed it in there and it automatically changed it back into 'a lot'. I wonder why I've been doing that. Thanks for telling me!
  • edited June 2010
    No problem! It's not the first time I've seen it by any means, so I guess you just picked it up from somewhere?
  • edited June 2010
    I think I've been spelling it that way for a long time now. Probably since school, but nobody's corrected me until now. From now on I will spell it 'a lot' though!
  • edited June 2010
    I got to take a shit!
  • edited June 2010
    Whoo! I just won $1300 in a Latin sight translation contest!
  • edited June 2010
    Whoo! I just won $1300 in a Latin sight translation contest!

Congratulations! What's a Latin sight translation contest?
  • edited June 2010
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    Congratulations! What's a Latin sight translation contest?

Well, basically, you're given a couple of passages from ancient Roman texts that you've never seen before and then asked to accurately translate them into English without the aid of dictionaries or other grammar resources.
  • edited June 2010
    I pronounce both produces the same. Pr-duce just dosen't sound right
  • edited June 2010

It depends on the situation. In a motorcycle or car race, a minute is quite long and significant; but one minute in an 8-hour road trip is quite minute, short and insignificant.
  • edited June 2010
    I got a +10 item in my MMORPG.
  • edited June 2010
    "Even the bravest of men must dread the horror of this place.
    Steel your courage boy, now... before you gaze upon the terrible, horrible face of...

SKULL ISLAND!"

"...That's a duck."
  • edited June 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    It depends on the situation. In a motorcycle or car race, a minute is quite long and significant; but one minute in an 8-hour road trip is quite minute, short and insignificant.

A minute holding a hot pan feels like an hour, a minute next to a <person of your sexual preference> feels like a second.

Yanyway.

trogdor.png
    no_peasant.png

Made them in WarioWare D.I.Y. and converted them with a self-made program to BMP, after which I had to use Paint.NET to convert them to PNG.
  • edited June 2010
    GaryCXJk wrote: »
    A minute holding a hot pan feels like an hour, a minute next to a <person of your sexual preference> feels like a second.

And then there's the whole time travelling thing. Where travelling closer to the speed of light slows down time. And something about gravity warping time... hmm
  • edited June 2010
    When I read words in italics, the voice in my head puts stresses on those words and it sounds strange.
  • edited June 2010
    When I read words in italics, the voice in my head puts stresses on those words and it sounds strange.

I always thought that was one of the point of italics - to put emphasis on the words.
  • edited June 2010
    It is the point of italics. Except in rare cases when they're used for titles for instance. Italics and bold are rather similar in use. And underlining too, for that matter. All three can be used for emphasis.
  • edited June 2010
    People on twitter are cruel, sick idiots.
  • edited June 2010
    Yes, finally got unstuck in 'The Longest Journey'! How the hell did I miss that valve on the machine next to the borderhouse?
  • edited June 2010
    Hmm, well...I've just been thinking...no, no...you'll all think I'm stupid...
    It's just...if the plural of mouse is mice, shouldn't the plural of spouse be spice?
  • edited June 2010
    Hmm, well...I've just been thinking...no, no...you'll all think I'm stupid...
    It's just...if the plural of mouse is mice, shouldn't the plural of spouse be spice?

And shouldn't the plural of houses be hice?
  • edited June 2010
    And shouldn't the plural of houses be hice?

...and shouldn't the pural of pan be pen? Or booth be beeth? Or kiss be kese!?

Gah, my head hurts.
  • edited June 2010
    For most of my English-speaking life, I thought chicken was the plural of chick.
  • edited June 2010
    I bet you that "team jacob" people are democrats.
  • edited June 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    I bet you that "team jacob" people are democrats.

What does one have to do with the other?

I've read the books, and up until almost halfway into the fourth book
    that is, up until Bella changes and Renesme is born
    neither Jacob nor Edward are very good choices (though I seemed to get ticked at Jake less often than at Edward):

Jacob is a jerk (he makes Bella kiss him, and when she breaks her hand from punching his jaw, he doesn't care);

Edward is controlling (he fears that Bella will hang out with Jacob and the other werewolves, so he bribes Alice to force Bella to stay at the Cullen's house for the weekend while he hunts);

and Bella is a depressing worry wart (constantly worried about being a burden to everyone else or getting everyone else killed, so she frequently thinks about sacrificing her life to keep everyone else safe) who always forgives Edward at the drop of a hat (or less, even) for anything he does to hurt her feelings, even if it's something very serious.

I don't see how people liking Jacob Black over Edward Cullen has anything to do with the Democratic Party... or any political party for that matter. ...unless you're trying to say that no one who likes Jacob Black would be stupid enough to support the idea of Sarah Palin running for president in 2012. In that case, count me in, but I'd say that would be classified more under having common sense than being affiliated with a certain party.
  • edited June 2010
    Just a hunch. I asked this else where and got this
    wrote:
    I have 6 really good friends that are hard core team Edward and they are all republicans. My best friend is extremely liberal and she's team Jacob. I'm a liberal leaning independent.
  • edited June 2010
    Hmm.

Well, I'm a moderate Christian Democrat from Oklahoma (which is a very red state) who doesn't vote only for my party, and up until the middle of the fourth book, I liked neither Jacob nor Edward but seemed to tolerate Jacob a bit more, since his annoyances were less frequent. What does that say?
  • edited June 2010

Gah, my head hurts.

Is the plural of moose meese?
  • edited June 2010
    Okay here's my 2 cents, I am split between not reading twilight and Team Edward, I consider my myself left leaning independent.
    My Best female friend is a republican and is Team Jacob.

it says to me that political affiliation has nothing to do with it. It's just a book, everyone has different personalities
  • edited June 2010

Gah, my head hurts.

Wild guess: Chet Gecko?
  • edited June 2010
    The other day, I saw a van with a Texas license plate and a bumper sticker that said "Friends don't let friends vote republican". It was hilarious.
  • edited June 2010
    Can someone please tell me what this button does on Youtube? As far as I can tell, it just makes this weird buzzing noise.

75618278.png
  • edited June 2010
    That's the Vuvuzela button.
  • edited June 2010
    It can be fun sometimes
  • edited June 2010
    Watching this with the vuvuzela button on and closed captions can make a rediculously flawed and freaking boring video actually worth watching.
  • edited June 2010
    I'd like to watch a world cup match with the vuvuzela button to see if Youtube would explode
This discussion has been closed.