The "whatever's on your mind" thread

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Never got it.

Good. Don't forget Rule Two:

2.You, as previously stated, must have some way of documenting your reaction to the game as you go along.
  • edited October 2010
    I was frozen today!
  • edited October 2010
    fun facts are only a google click away
  • edited October 2010
    Wow, how can that have thrice more downloads than views? Doesn't really make much sense to me unless there's something I don't understand about how DA works .__.
  • edited October 2010
    Good. Don't forget Rule Two:

2.You, as previously stated, must have some way of documenting your reaction to the game as you go along.

Playing. Writing notes. Shitting bricks.
  • edited October 2010
    Playing. Writing notes. Shitting bricks.

Now THAT's the kind of reaction I wanted to see!
  • edited October 2010
    I felt that although it was amusing, I found that it resorted to cheap scares far too easily. To the point that I didn't really feel all that spooked or whatever. The only time I jumped was the first time the arm showed up. I was expecting more warped stuff like Eternal Darkness, but sadly there wasn't a whole lot of that. Whenever they tried to throw psychological stuff at me like the whole "Behind you" and "I can see you" thing, it felt forced. I also found the last cheap scare of the game as cute. Also, the controls gave me a lot of grief. Overall, I did enjoy the game, but I'd say it's either B minus or average.
  • edited October 2010
    You may want to use spoiler tags, Tope.
  • edited October 2010
    For what part?
  • edited October 2010
    Probably like this:
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    I felt that although it was amusing, I found that it
    resorted to cheap scares far too easily. To the point that I didn't really feel all that spooked or whatever. The only time I jumped was the first time the arm showed up.
    I was expecting more
    warped stuff like Eternal Darkness
    , but sadly there wasn't a whole lot of that. Whenever they tried to
    throw psychological stuff at me like the whole "Behind you" and "I can see you" thing
    , it felt forced. I also found the last
    cheap scare
    of the game as cute. Also, the controls gave me a lot of grief. Overall, I did enjoy the game, but I'd say it's either B minus or average.

Might be easier to just blanket spoiler the whole thing.
  • edited October 2010
    Okay, after reading what Ringmaster wrote (DON'T DO THIS CHALLENGE IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY HEARD ABOUT THIS GAME, DON'T PLAY THIS GAME IF YOU'RE YOUNG AND WEAK AT HEART, *posts a decoy picture of a happy go lucky scene*), how could you not know that there were going to be scary stuff? It's like playing the scary maze game, except this game didn't intend on hiding the fact that it was going to do this.

I mean the game starts off on an HP Lovecraft quote, for goodness sakes. I made sure that my mini review was vague enough so that it didn't give it all away. Timing is everything. I would have spoilered it if I had told exactly when and where anything specific happened.

So I'm not going to spoiler my post. If you want me to delete it, I'll just do that instead.

Oh yeah, Ringmaster, bring over some friends to play the game. Seeing reactions in person is much more rewarding.
  • edited October 2010
    I'm not gonna lie. I had no intention of doing the challenge, so I just watched a let's play of it. Yeah, I didn't know exactly what would happen, but it pretty much went in the exact direction I was expecting. Maybe if there had been no warnings not to play it if you're too young, I might've been surprised, but even with no context other than warnings...yeah, there's no way you could not know what's coming.

Also, am I the only person on the planet who doesn't know crap about Lovecraft?
  • edited October 2010
    Also, am I the only person on the planet who doesn't know crap about Lovecraft?
    I also have no clue what it is
  • edited October 2010
    I only know the names of Cthulu and Nyarlathotep and that they're some kind of Eldricht abomination, so no, you're not alone.
  • edited October 2010
    Should a smiley be placed before or after the full stop (or period)?
  • edited October 2010
    A question that has plagued mankind since the beginning of time...
  • edited October 2010
    HP Lovecraft, for all those who don't know, is one of the most famous horror writers ever. He didn't necessarily make all the elder gods that you guys have come to know and love, but he did expand on them. He wrote short stories from the late 1800's to the early 1900's.
  • edited October 2010
    SunnyGuy wrote: »
    I only know the names of Cthulu and Nyarlathotep and that they're some kind of Eldricht abomination, so no, you're not alone.

Well, you know one more elder god than I do. But then, who hasn't heard of Cthulhu, even if they know nothing about H.P. Lovecraft?
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    HP Lovecraft, for all those who don't know, is one of the most famous horror writers ever. He didn't necessarily make all the elder gods that you guys have come to know and love, but he did expand on them. He wrote short stories from the late 1800's to the early 1900's.

I did know this much, but that's pretty much the extent of what I already knew.
  • edited October 2010
    I've read a ton of Lovecraft's stories and indeed he is a literary master. I don't approve of the man himself but he was a literary genius. It's a shame so few games have been made based on his work but the ones that have are amazing.

Oh, and look up the Sherlock Holmes story Neil Gaiman did once set in the Cthulhu Mythos. It's brilliant.
  • edited October 2010
    So are the movies based on H.P. Lovecraft's books. Dagon's a little goofy but still good.
  • edited October 2010
    All I've read of Lovecraft was "The Rats in the Walls". Not Cthulu or elder gods related, but I thought it was brilliant. Someday, I plan on reading the rest of his stuff.
  • edited October 2010
    Tried Eversion. Either the game or my gamepad software caused me to bluescreen right in the middle of World 4.
  • edited October 2010
    can you help me in developing a new game???
  • edited October 2010
    can you help me in developing a new game???
  • edited October 2010
    oh hai spambot
  • edited October 2010
    Is it a spambot? It looks a little like a spambot, but the account is pretty old for a spambot's first two posts, and the link doesn't look like it's selling anything.
  • edited October 2010
    Is it a spambot? It looks a little like a spambot, but the account is pretty old for a spambot's first two posts, and the link doesn't look like it's selling anything.
    You're just saying that because the spambot sucked up to you in its first post.
  • edited October 2010
    Jealous?
  • edited October 2010
    I REALLY hate school. Mostly, my parents' moaning about it.
  • edited October 2010
    Tried Eversion. Either the game or my gamepad software caused me to bluescreen right in the middle of World 4.

That shoud NOT happen. Something else must be wrong, because I've played it, and watched another forum member play it over Livestream, with no problems.

Also, It was really hard to decide wheather to put the warning up or not, but it was for the best, in my opinion, because of Seibert and possibly others. Although, in hindsight, I might have missed an opportunity to scare him away from his computer for a bit.

Yeah, Tope, please delete/spoiler tag that post.
  • edited October 2010
    Eversion
    scared the living bejeezus out of me, especially the all gems ending.
  • edited October 2010
    Eversion
    scared the living bejeezus out of me, especially the all gems ending.

Did you
    reach Level 8? The normal "eaten" ending is avioded if you find the all-gems eversion point under the big "250/250" sign at the start of Level 7.
  • edited October 2010
    Did you
    reach Level 8? The normal "eaten" ending is avioded if you find the all-gems eversion point under the big "250/250" sign at the start of Level 7.

Yes, I did. The ending
    where it turns out that you're an evil creature, too?
    . That shit, man...

They're in my dreams!
  • edited October 2010
    Lovecraft's hard to read. When I try reading him I understand individual words but find myself re-reading the same sentence a few times before I really get it. I'd say it's very dense in meaning.
    Actually, it reminds me of textbooks in history or politics class.

For easier stuff to read, I'd suggest Poe, or Maupassant for those of you who can read French (or I guess you can read a translation).
  • edited October 2010
    That I should stop buying large pizzas knowing the fact that I'm not going to finish it all, and wasting all my pay!
    DAMN.
  • edited October 2010
    So far, for my Eversion Challenge, we've got 2 finishers, 2 dropouts, and one pending user. One last time, anyone else want to take the challenge?
  • edited October 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Lovecraft's hard to read. When I try reading him I understand individual words but find myself re-reading the same sentence a few times before I really get it. I'd say it's very dense in meaning.

I'd say he's well worth the effort, especially if you wish to know the gnashing horrors which wait beyond the veil of reality to devour our sanity. You know, the little things.
  • edited October 2010
    So far, for my Eversion Challenge, we've got 2 finishers, 2 dropouts, and one pending user. One last time, anyone else want to take the challenge?

Can't be arsed to find the post, so what's the challenge? I happen to have played Eversion before, and I enjoyed it.

Oh, and one of the lyrics in this popular Christmas song sounds just like the singer says the f word. Specifically "later we'll have some pumpkin pie" sounds much more, clearly, like she says "later we'll have some f---ing pie". Now I can't stop listening to the song.
  • edited October 2010
    Can't be arsed to find the post, so what's the challenge? I happen to have played Eversion before, and I enjoyed it.

Oh, and one of the lyrics in this popular Christmas song sounds just like the singer says the f word. Specifically "later we'll have some pumpkin pie" sounds much more, clearly, like she says "later we'll have some f---ing pie". Now I can't stop listening to the song.

Oh, god, it does! I'll never be able to listen to that song the same way again.

The link to the Challenge is in my sig, but you've already broken Rule 1.
  • edited October 2010
    The link to the Challenge is in my sig

the challenge is having a monkey thrown at you!?
This discussion has been closed.