The City that Dares not Sleep Speculation Thread

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I don't think the toys are gone. They're practically the base of the whole game, and it wouldn't be worth playing if we didn't get to mess around with them...

We got to mess around with them for the first four episodes! Now we get to see what happens when Junior goes ape. :P
  • edited July 2010
    Eh, the toys are destroyed, but now that Max's full psychic potential is unlocked, we don't really need them anymore.
  • edited July 2010
    Eh, the toys are destroyed, but now that Max's full psychic potential is unlocked, we don't really need them anymore.

And also are we going to be able to play as Max in his current state???
  • edited July 2010
    tabstis wrote: »
    And also are we going to be able to play as Max in his current state???

There are theories. Me and some others think that we'll be travelling into monster Max's mind to meet the normal Max and the very evil Junior (he had a voice actor, didn't he? For when using ventriloquism on the box). In his own mind, I bet Max can do quite some stuff against Junior.

But what an interesting experience it could be to play as a giant monster in a point and click adventure game setting...

Anyway, about this, did Junior have a voice actor of his own? I didn't check the credits.
    Also, some Sam clones survived. I wonder if they will be used in 305.
  • edited July 2010
    To be honest, when I heard there was a younger Elder God besides Yog-Soggoth named "Junior", I immediately thought it'd turn out to be Max. The ending of 304 thus didn't surprise me as much as it did others.

My prediction? Max is currently in his true form. There'll just need to be some sort of confrontation of that before he can return to the way we know him. I'm pretty sure we'll still be able to play Max as a giant behemoth, but it'll be a puzzle. Like Sam setting up the right people for him to devour.
  • edited July 2010
    What? There's a giant monster running around the city? Hm.. we've already had ape fights - maybe what we need is to make another dip into the "Escape from Monkey Island" bag and pull out a giant monkey robo- Hello? Hello?

Strange, everybody seems to have gone....
  • edited July 2010
    http://i28.tinypic.com/292xmp4.jpg

On spoilers, I don't think anybody mentioned the trailer with the villans in it yet (here, at about 1min40 in) which was released before the first episode. Who is that next to the sam clones?
  • edited July 2010
    Everyone has been identified and has already appeared.
  • edited July 2010
    Player_2 wrote: »
    Well...Max kind of fell on Junior. So I guess he accidentally fused with him, or something.

Or maybe Junior has nothing to do with it. Maybe this is part of the horrible side-effects that come with having psychic powers; read too many minds, and you turn into a disgusting eldritch abomination worthy of H.P. Lovecraft. And maybe everything that's happening is part of Max finally going genuinely insane, since his brain is too fried now for him to control himself.

I can see a situation like that paving the way for some kind of "I know you're in there somewhere" fight between Sam and Max, with Max destroying everything and Sam trying to get him to stop by reminding him of who he used to be, and all that jazz.

yeah your right .. look at ending of episode 301 max's head was on fire for few seconds ... and look at 304 ending .. fire head on max again .... i dont think it was junoir i think its the toys overload into maxs brain or something
    im guessing junior turned small and went into maxs brain well u know what happens next .. i dont think its junoir again and the toybox is gone/ destroyed remember the toy robot can destroy anything so there it is ...
  • edited July 2010
    At the very least I'm willing to bet Max is originally from the Dark Dimension and Sam from the normal. :D
  • edited July 2010
    It's obvious that Superball's tear will come from Sam telling him that Max is a giant beast rampaging the city.
  • edited July 2010
    Everyone has been identified and has already appeared.

Then who's the person next to the sam clones? I have never seen them!
  • edited July 2010
    Eulolia wrote: »
    http://i28.tinypic.com/292xmp4.jpg

On spoilers, I don't think anybody mentioned the trailer with the villans in it yet (here, at about 1min40 in) which was released before the first episode. Who is that next to the sam clones?

Holy crap! Forget who's beside the Sam clones! Do you realize what's BEHIND them? Because it definitely ain't Lady Liberty!

Though if someone could illuminate the rest of us as to the identity of the mysterious person between Stinky and the Samulacra, I would appreciated it.
  • edited July 2010
    Flah wrote: »
    Though if someone could illuminate the rest of us as to the identity of the mysterious person between Stinky and the Samulacra, I would appreciated it.

What do u mean? Which mysterious person?
  • edited July 2010
    That's Charlie Ho-Tep...
  • edited July 2010
    Hey, maybe I imagined this, but didn't we see concept art or something for a Hugh Bliss-ifed Sam?
  • edited July 2010
    TDP had been a great season. I was a little angry at the beginning that they changed their old tv show format, but since then I've really grown on the different style. I can just tell that the finale of 305 will just be mind blowingly epic.
  • edited July 2010
    I really don't think Max is a denizen of the Dark Dimension. However, I also didn't expect Charlie Ho-tep having a mind of his own. (I knew there was a reason why he stares at you when you hold him in episodes 302 and 304.)

Anyway, I expect a part of episode 305 to be much like the ending of 104, what with giant Max terrorizing the city and Sam following him in the DeSoto. And I do think that we can venture inside Max and wreak havoc. Perhaps, Bosco will appear in 305, using his modified B-tads to help us with Max in his tyrannical form.

Even though I have no clue what to expect (as I did for 304,) I can't wait, and know that this episode will be the best of the season. Possibly, even the best of the whole series.

Oh, another thing. when Charlie first started talking, was anybody else reminded immediately of Deadly Dangly Deever?
  • edited July 2010
    Oh, another thing. when Charlie first started talking, was anybody else reminded immediately of Deadly Dangly Deever?
    I was leaning more towards Peepers, but then that growl kept coming up every few lines, and it started to sound like a helium version of Reggie from ToMI.
  • edited July 2010
    Flah wrote: »
    Holy crap! Forget who's beside the Sam clones! Do you realize what's BEHIND them? Because it definitely ain't Lady Liberty!

Don't you remember from 303? The statue of Sammun'Mak at Straight & Narrow?
  • edited July 2010

Yes.
  • edited July 2010
    The mole people will turn out to be this season's main villains.

Yoggy mentioned that it was the mole people who banished the Old Ones when they ruled the world eons ago, and that back then they were a more noble people before genetic deterioration made them they way they are now. Their goal was to summon back the Old Ones by opening the toybox and scattering the toys so they could step up at the last minute to banish them again, thus restoring their former glory.
  • edited July 2010
    Not just mole PEOPLE. I'm thinking a specific mole.

...HARRY MOLEMAN! He'll teach people to walk all over him, oh yes, he will...

Well, not really. But I want to suspect everyone possible so that I'm not taken by surprise again. I'm looking at you, Grandma Ruth.
  • edited July 2010
    I really hope that Sal, Papierwaite, Skun'ka'pe and Norrington will re-appear in 305, would be good that Bosco would be back... Anyway, i have no idea who could be the main villain, other than Junior+Max...
  • edited July 2010
    MOLEMAN they have bin built up in this season I men if MOLEMAN now what there assenter code Dow they mite try to kill max
  • edited July 2010
    Something I thought about earlier, but forgot to post;

This season is called "The Devil's Playhouse", yet so far we've only ever come across The Devil's Toybox. I figure that if there's a Toybox, it must be stored in a Playhouse. It might be a little late to introduce a new location, but I thought that maybe The Devil's Playhouse might be an alternate dimension, like the Penal Zone or the Giggling Realm of Skittering Ingestion.

Just a thought.
  • edited July 2010
    for some reason in the end i think
    sam and/or max will die.
  • edited July 2010
    But then they'll get better.
  • edited July 2010
    because it was all just a movie
  • edited July 2010
    because it was all just a movie

That would explain the film grain.:D

We see Sam holding a dead Max in his arms and he screams no. We then zoom out to see the T.V in a ancient dilapidated Office, the video ejects and we zoom out some more to see some future ancestors of Sam and Max watching. Then we turn around along with the future Sam and Max to see two skeletons
    of the original Sam and Max.
  • edited July 2010
    It might be a little late to introduce a new location
    What? There are always new locations in every episode.
  • edited July 2010
    Here's my theory in full:

Gordon was from a planet where everybody looked like the giant monstrosity Max became.
    He gave Max the psychic toys so that he could use them to restore Gordon.
    He merged with Max upon his 'death' on board the ship because he was so weak.
    Max used the toys and the psychic powers helped Gordon to regrow again - taking over Max like in the last episode.

I've just thought of another point linking to Gordon - the fact that Max says 'the brain is dying' when he first picked up a toy was never explained at all!

EDIT: Even more evidence that there is something more to this, Max VERY VERY lustfully stares at the toybox while speaking to Skunkape at the end of 301. There's something more happening there...
  • edited July 2010
    Zeek wrote: »
    I was leaning more towards Peepers, but then that growl kept coming up every few lines, and it started to sound like a helium version of Reggie from ToMI.

I always watch the credits for the voices and sure enough, it's the same guy. Interestingly enough, he also did Skun-ka'pe, Mole Grandpa (the one in the tomb that bears a grudge against anyone from Stuttgart) and Grandpa Stinky.
  • edited July 2010
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    I always watch the credits for the voices and sure enough, it's the same guy. Interestingly enough, he also did Skun-ka'pe, Mole Grandpa (the one in the tomb that bears a grudge against anyone from Stuttgart) and Grandpa Stinky.

Mojo Jojo is Grandpa Stinky?!:eek:
  • edited July 2010
    This thread made me watch the Dangly Deever episode again. Charlie doesn't sound like him. Dangly is slightly deeper in pitch (despite the demonic audio filter that's missing from Charlie's voice), but the script certainly is on par with Dangly's.:D
  • edited July 2010
    Tilan wrote: »
    What? There are always new locations in every episode.

Well, I meant that it might be too late to mention it now. If it did exist, Norrington probably would have mentioned it in 304.

Hah, I just realized I'm arguing against myself.
  • edited July 2010
    Hopefully Sal's presumed death will mean we get a Hard-Boiled Girl Stinky running around accosting people.
    And Grandpa Stinky is supposedly evil. Maybe summoning Elder Gods and weaving elaborate webs of deceit is just a step up from baking evil cakes?
  • edited July 2010
    Or, more recently, giant Max eating Sam.

Oh, god. Keep vore out of my Telltale games.
  • edited July 2010
    bluster blaster is the main villain
  • edited July 2010
    bluster blaster is the main villain

THAT WOULD BE TOTALLY AWESOME

Really.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.