The City that Dares not Sleep Speculation Thread

Comments

• edited August 2010
    mynoduesP wrote: »
    You liar. We were told the exact opposite. >.>

No, we figured it out through a series of vague questioning. Apparently someone on the TTG team can't keep a secret very well, even when he's trying NOT to say what it is.

Long story short, we asked if any of the on-screen "deaths" were real, and got a "yes" back. From there we determine that the only death scene we saw that had the potential not to be a real death was Skunkape's abduction by the Sam clones. Everyone else died, including two Sam Clones.
  • edited August 2010
    Zeek wrote: »
    No, we figured it out through a series of vague questioning. Apparently someone on the TTG team can't keep a secret very well, even when he's trying NOT to say what it is.

Long story short, we asked if any of the on-screen "deaths" were real, and got a "yes" back. From there we determine that the only death scene we saw that had the potential not to be a real death was Skunkape's abduction by the Sam clones. Everyone else died, including two Sam Clones.

Awwww...I hope not. Papierwaite was one of my favorites, and I wanted to see more of Sal and Stinky's forbidden love and potential grandpa murdering.
  • edited August 2010

That's the general consensus, and ... well, I'm not fairing so great as one of the lone holdouts. We went in circles on this point enough times as it is, so I'll just say the one trick I have left in my bag is that I think there's more left to Sal's story arc than Skun-ka'pe's, with the continuation of Sal's only making sense if he hasn't yet shuffled off this mortal coil. But then I'm not exactly convinced Skun-ka'pe's arc is finished either, and --

Agh. I don't know. It doesn't sit right with me, but there's barely any wiggle room to work with.

... Sigh. You know what. I'm just gonna leave this here.

SALWILLLIVE.png

Because there's still some slim chance this isn't a futile hope after all, right? Right?
  • edited August 2010
    Because there's still some slim chance this isn't a futile hope after all, right? Right?

I'm 99.9% positive that Sal is still alive (falls don't kill bugs, ambushes with pesticides do!). If not, he'll still be alive in our hearts. XP
  • edited August 2010
    Breakman wrote: »
    I'm 99.9% positive that Sal is still alive (falls don't kill bugs, ambushes with pesticides do!). If not, he'll still be alive in our hearts. XP

I'm pretty sure that anything would die if it falls down a seemingly bottomless pit.
  • edited August 2010
    Mr Nutt wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that anything would die if it falls down a seemingly bottomless pit.

Assuming it even hits the bottom.

Oh, and if you are going to use that as some kind of silver lining of hope, I don't think Sal can fly. Because, you know, even though roaches have wings, not many of them can fly.
  • edited August 2010
    he is a roaches and thay can severity a nuke so a fall kills him and im a Killer Tomatoes
  • edited August 2010
    (awesome NC reference)

YAAAAAAAAAAY!

*ahem* anyway, I don't think Sal will die, we still have the future vision to be seen, but who knows, TellTale are tricky ones!
  • edited August 2010
    Sal can't be dead! :eek: I never thought that Telltale would ACTUALLY KILL ONE OF THEIR CHARACTERS! (The Soda Poppers don't count.)

God, I feel so depressed now. Seriously, I feel as if this huge weight has just been placed on my soul, or something equally poetic.
  • edited August 2010
    Haven't you read the comics, Man? Remember "Bad Day on the Moon"?

No and no. They are not available where I live.
  • edited August 2010
    SillyStell wrote: »
    *ahem* anyway, I don't think Sal will die, we still have the future vision to be seen, but who knows, TellTale are tricky ones!

Which one? The one where he's yelling "Run away, babe!" or the one where says "Give me some sugar..." and then starts kissing the camera?
  • edited August 2010
    tbm1986 wrote: »

Quick summary:

In "Bad Day on the Moon," Sam and Max go to the moon. A lot of stuff happens, and in the end, they're being chased and Max gets killed when he's fried by a laser grid. Sam collects his remains, though, and they're able to restructure his DNA to create a new body. So technically, if he dies again and has another body cloned for him, it would be his second.

In season one, when they're reading the newspaper headlines in "Culture Shock," Sam mentions that this years' styles are somehow different from last years', and Max responds by saying "But I still have the brain as last year." Sam corrects him, saying "Actually, you don't. But most people do." He was referring to the fact that Max's current body is artificial.

You know, that never actually made sense to me until just now. I only just this second realized that that would explain a lot of the weirder things said about Max's composition, like the fact he's technically considered a mineral. Hot damn, I'm smart.

the_more_you_know2.jpg
  • edited August 2010
    Which one? The one where he's yelling "Run away, babe!" or the one where says "Give me some sugar..." and then starts kissing the camera?

"Runaway babe!" unless it did happen and I missed it D:
  • edited August 2010
    I just read the post on the private forum and I think we should have some kind of silence to remember Sal in....IM SO DISTRAUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :(
  • edited August 2010
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    The series has that one too.

And I got both from the TTG store, cause I definitely don't think either where ever available here either...
  • edited August 2010
    I think the most important thing we can learn from episode 305 is whether Sal is really dead or not.

...I hope not...
  • edited August 2010
    The series has that one too.

And I got both from the TTG store, cause I definitely don't think either where ever available here either...

Sounds like I need to invest in some TT merch as soon as I can afford to.
  • edited August 2010
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    I think the most important thing we can learn from episode 305 is whether Sal is really dead or not.

...I hope not...

Dying didn't stop Guybrush, right?
  • edited August 2010
    Nor the Freelance Police. There's always a chance that Junior/Max will revive the dead that were involved in this whole affair and that we'll have to fight off several Cthonic Superpowered Zombies.
  • edited August 2010
    Just some theories, but we probably won't get to see many of the series villains. We'll see Sal and the Stinkys, but Papierwaite/Norrington is dead, and Skun-ka'pe probably didn't survive the Samulacra Attack.
    But I'm guessing that Stinky is gonna be the main villain. I mean, last season, It was the Soda Poppers, the people we least suspected. the only times they appeared were in the first episode, the fourth and the finale. The Stinkys have only played minor roles until now. It'd be just the kind of twist that Telltale is known for.
  • edited August 2010
    But I'm guessing that Stinky is gonna be the main villain. I mean, last season, It was the Soda Poppers, the people we least suspected. the only times they appeared were in the first episode, the fourth and the finale. The Stinkys have only played minor roles until now. It'd be just the kind of twist that Telltale is known for.

I'm not gonna be surprised if it turns out that Stinky's the main villain, but Superball has been suspicious ever since the first season.
  • edited August 2010
    Sammy wrote: »
    I'm not gonna be surprised if it turns out that Stinky's the main villain, but Superball has been suspicious ever since the first season.

Superball is NOT the main villian. Remember that scene in Beyond where he mentioned thet he has "other superiors" besides Max, then disappears in a flash of light. He is probably the second-in-command.
  • edited August 2010
    no he is up there do
  • edited August 2010
    Player_2 wrote: »
    Sal can't be dead! :eek: I never thought that Telltale would ACTUALLY KILL ONE OF THEIR CHARACTERS! (The Soda Poppers don't count.)

Actually, the Soda Poppers could have escaped. Remember in 202 at the end when
    a huge Bermuda Triangle is going back and forth crazily? It sucked up the only way for Sam and Max to get back home (at least for the rest of the game). It is shown at the very end of 205 that the other side of that portal is where the Soda Poppers ended up. They could have escaped if they were not burnt to a crisp.
    Anyways, that spoiler might be guessed incorrectly. What if that telltale worker decided to tell us the wrong thing just to confuse us? What if only Dr. Norrington/papierwait dies?

by the way, is there any way for me to view the "private thread"? Can someone PM me a link?
  • edited August 2010
    Only if you pre-ordered.

Linking wouldn't work if that requirement wasn't met (you just get an error).

EDIT: PS. You should really tone done your sig. Please?
  • edited August 2010
    OK, fine.

Meanwhile on the subject of this thread...

I expect the narrator to show up like he usually does in the beginning.

I recall him saying something like "welcome to my playhouse of the bizarre", but I don't know where, if he did say it(I don't think time paradoxes affect my memory).

Sal is a cockroach, but there seems to have been some doubt on if cockroaches are survivors as seen in 303.

I recall this quote:
    when you fall in a bottomless pit, you die of starvation.
    but that is not sam and max related from what I can tell.
    Anyways, if Sal DOES survive, I expect we will find out how.

We have not been in the office all this season, but there are some future vision instances Sam's and Max's shadows in the window of the office(May I point to 301?). Would TTG put this there if they would not put it in this season?

Wouldn't it be weird if the brain that Max put in that gutter thing in 204 was somewhat important? I doubt it is, but just an idea...

Could Skunkape have found Sammun-mak's brain and had it control the toys for him?

Did Charlie jump out of the Toy Box by himself in 302? How did Nefertini(or whoever she is... "Bubbles" at the end of 302) know his real name?

and finally...
    Superball obviously has more than one superior(other than max). He was talking to someone, addressing them "sirs", just before he told Sam and Max that Skunkape was really a criminal. Could the United Planets(or whatever he called them) be his superiors, or could his superiors be the mole people, who are somewhat suspiciously preparing for the apocalypse?
  • edited August 2010
    Superball is like Men in Black, he is way above the system. Thats what makes him so cool.

Its a shame we dont get to see the office and superball in it this season. Or even bosco, there could have been some fun moments, having superball run about his store.

Are you spying on me FOO ?
  • edited August 2010
    Player_2 wrote: »
    Sal can't be dead! :eek: I never thought that Telltale would ACTUALLY KILL ONE OF THEIR CHARACTERS!

Ahem. Have you been paying attention to Telltale? Here is a list of casualties:

Brady Culture (101)
    Chuckles (104)
    Hugh Bliss (106)
    Mr. Spatula (201)
    An Elf (201, temporarily)
    Shambling Corporate Presence (201)
    Santa (201, temporarily)
    Jimmy Hoffa (202)
    Sam and Max (203, temporarily)
    Jurgen (203, temporarily)
    Dr. Momma Bosco (204, temporarily)
    Bosco (204, temporarily)
    Jurgen's Monster (203 and 205, both temporarily)
    Leonard Steakcharmer (205, temporarily)
    Timmy Two-Teeth (205, temporarily)
    Grandpa Stinky (205, temporarily)
    The DeSoto (205, temporarily)
    Slushie (302, Became a Vampire)
    Jurgen (302, Became a Vampire)
    Sameth and Maximus (302)
    Max (302, temporarily)
    Sammun-Mak (303)
    (Possibly) General Skun-ka'pe (304)
    (Possibly) Anton PapierWaite/Dr. Norrington (304)
    Charlie Ho-Tep (304)

And that's just in Sam and Max. But no, I don't think that a high fall would be enough to kill such a nice guy. There must be a wall or something for Sal to cling to.
  • edited August 2010
    It's Anton PapierWaite not Arthur.
  • edited August 2010
    It's Anton PapierWaite not Arthur.

Fixed it.
  • edited August 2010
    what will sam do in episode 5??? =P
  • edited August 2010
    It's funny how often StrongBrush's list says "temporarily".

'Oh, he's temporarily dead. No worries!'
  • edited August 2010
    Jurgen (203, temporarily)

Actually jurgeon was permanently dead. Or at least i dont remember him being revived. Unless you count the jurgeon from 302 with sammeth and maximus.
  • edited August 2010
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Actually jurgeon was permanently dead. Or at least i dont remember him being revived. Unless you count the jurgeon from 302 with sammeth and maximus.

No, he came back for Sybil and Abe's wedding. Check 205.
  • edited August 2010
    What if Superball's other superiors where the Mole men? Unlikely but it'd be a twist!
  • edited August 2010
    He could have had an unpaid day off from...

@ That's at Strong.
  • edited August 2010
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    Superball is like Men in Black, he is way above the system. Thats what makes him so cool.

Superball reminds me more of the IRS agents from Day of the Tentacle.
  • edited August 2010
    Superball reminds me more of the IRS agents from Day of the Tentacle.

He's definately modeled after them, both in appearance and in vocal tone.
  • edited August 2010
    I think Molemen will definently play a part, remember that
    they were the ones who originally banished the Elder Gods to the Dark Dimension
    and with Junior about, yes, I think they'll be a big part of the finale.

I think Papierwaite is dead, but I don't think you can claim the same of Dr. Norrington, just that he may have lost his connection to Sam & Max's dimension. Personally, I hope there's a visit to the Dark Dimension though, where you might meet up with Dr. Norrington in his full Lovecraftian splendor. He was such a great character and so well acted it'd be a shame to not see him again.

I think it will end with Junior being banished from Max, but I think (and there's some foreshadowing of it) that Sam will have to give up his life to save him. That's one thing we've never really seen, Max being left alone or actually having to deal with something emotionally powerful.

The last thing that happened in the 4th game was to reverse the character's roles. Max was directly controllable, and Sam had been 'kidnapped'. I think something similar may play a major part in the next game.
  • edited August 2010
    I just noticed in all the episodes except 301 Sam is incapable of fighting in any of the boss fights and its Max who has to work it out. Maybe Sam will take control in 305
Sign in to comment in this discussion.