The City that Dares not Sleep Speculation Thread

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Zeek wrote: »
    Does anyone remember that joke about how Max is always trying to come up with scenarios that end with Max eating Sam because he looks so tastey in 301?

I already pointed that out, but nobody listened.:(
  • edited August 2010
    I already pointed that out, but nobody listened.:(

I know the feeling. All my bug reports for EA are going unnoticed and unfixed, leaving my copy of The Sims 3 unplayable now.:(
  • edited August 2010
    I have finally completed Beyond the Alley of the Dolls (Woohoo! I caught up to the rest of you) and so am able to read a speculation thread for the first ever time without fear of spoilers! Then I discovered it's 11 pages long. That sucks. I'm not reading all that.

But I'm glad to see in the first page lots of peeps saying they don't think Sal is dead!
  • edited August 2010
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    But I'm glad to see in the first page lots of peeps saying they don't think Sal is dead!
    Yeah! Sal's the best suspicious character ever besides Spot(the asp). And its not like the writers are like J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter books in which all the good characters were killed off.

Does anyone think we will FINALLY be able to go into Stinky's kitchen?
  • edited August 2010
    I only want one thing from this episode.

...I want a musical number...
  • edited August 2010
    Player_2 wrote: »
    I only want one thing from this episode.

...I want a musical number...

You want a musical number for 305? Check out this. If you know the song, the images should flow into your mind naturally. If not, there's always the original on Youtube.
  • edited August 2010
    SBCGateAP wrote: »

Does anyone want to FINALLY be able to go into Stinky's kitchen?

Fixed.
  • edited August 2010
    I almost thought that Sam could develop somewhat psychic use of the toys given his exposure. However, it seems unlikely that Sam or Skunkape could use them on their own. In 301 its explained that Skunkape used Gordon the Alien Brain to use the toys, and Sam is able to participate because he is Max's partner. Although its never really explained how Sam can join in powers like future vision, when he and Max aren't touching.

And to clear the matter up for those on this forum, this picture shows the supporting cast of Season 3, not necessarily villains:

http://i28.tinypic.com/292xmp4.jpg

From left to right we have the molepeople family from 302, Baby Amelia Airheart, Girl Stinky, Sal, Paperwaite/Dr Norrignton/Yog Soggoth, Skunkape, Nicolas St. Kringle, Momma Bosco, Grandpa Stinky, Charlie Ho-Tep, Samulacra, and giant max legs.

Now, Momma Bosco looks weird, almost like Brady Culture, since she's never worn shorts in any of the games. And the giant legs are probably from the giant Sammunmak statue from 303. Although why those are in the picture are anyones guess, since they didn't do anything in the episode. If those were from monster max the legs would look at least amphibious to follow the rest of his transformation.

The season is called The Devil's Playhouse. While this could refer to the locations in the game where The Devil's Toy box is used I suspect this is more or a separate location. That's why I think Beelzebub may make a reappearance. One of the random lines when talking to Max in this last episode goes along the lines of "Sam: If this is The Devil's Toy Box, how come we haven't run into him yet? Max: His agent's probably holding out for more money" Beezlebub is the Devil in the Sam & Max games. Also, at the end of 205 Beelzebub ominously predicts that he will meet Sam & Max sooner than they think. While that could refer to his appearance during the wedding scene in the credits, his tone is far too wicked. Besides, all the season characters minus the true villain appear in the credits sequence. Also, Beelzebub and The Narrator seem to speak with the same accent, though I don't know if they share the same voice actor.

Outside of this prediction, I doubt any of the suspected characters are dead. The characters always persist even if they're technically dead, like previous seasons villains in Hell.

And the Toys of Power still linger in some ways. They've been used during the whole season. Max has achieved his full potential. The Chthonic Destroyer seems to "destroy" things from the Dark Dimension by returning them there, so they would still exist in a different dimension. For example, since the Toy Box was sent to "our" universe the Chthonic Destroyer has existed in that other dimension when not in use. All this highly suggests a visit to the "Devil's Playhouse" location or the Dark Dimensions.

The biggest question I have unanswered from this last episode is: How exactly did Charlie Ho-Tep come to life and get a sample of Sam's DNA for cloning?
  • edited August 2010
    ..That's not Momma Bosco, that's Jurgen.
  • edited August 2010
    qwertyuiop wrote: »
    Now, Momma Bosco looks weird, almost like Brady Culture, since she's never worn shorts in any of the games.

That's because that's Jurgen, not Momma Bosco.

EDIT: Argh! I was beaten to the punch!
  • edited August 2010
    The season is called The Devil's Playhouse. While this could refer to the locations in the game where The Devil's Toy box is used I suspect this is more or a separate location. That's why I think Beelzebub may make a reappearance. One of the random lines when talking to Max in this last episode goes along the lines of "Sam: If this is The Devil's Toy Box, how come we haven't run into him yet? Max: His agent's probably holding out for more money" Beezlebub is the Devil in the Sam & Max games. Also, at the end of 205 Beelzebub ominously predicts that he will meet Sam & Max sooner than they think. While that could refer to his appearance during the wedding scene in the credits, his tone is far too wicked. Besides, all the season characters minus the true villain appear in the credits sequence. Also, Beelzebub and The Narrator seem to speak with the same accent, though I don't know if they share the same voice actor.

It's actually explained in 304 that
    The Devil's Toybox is a name given by humans that are too obsessed with their own myths and beliefs, and the Devil of the Devil's Toybox is actually Junior. Same most likely applies to Devil's Playhouse as well.
  • edited August 2010
    There is a few possibilities:

Grampa Stinky: The fact that Stinky and Sal both call him "evil".
    Mole people(not Harry): They appeared in episodes 1-3, but were nowhere to be seen in 104, where Charlie reveals himself as evil.
    Hugh Bliss: May sound strange, but in 304, if you look closely, Superball disappears in a flash of light(after implying that he has other superiors besides Max). If I remember correctly, Bliss can do the same.

Honestly, I don't think it's the Narrator. Seems too obvious.
  • edited August 2010
    I don't think we need to think obscure for villains. It's clearly Junior and Max's warped mind.
  • edited August 2010
    I think you will be able to play as max like inside the mutants head or something. Like you can do things for sam and stuff. Just a rough thought. Also I dont think Sal or Skunkape are gone as the clones wouldnt kill skunkape if he has no toys and Sal is a cockroach, thats all that needs saying.
  • edited August 2010
    I noticed that during the opening sequence for every Devils playhouse episode there was a toy that appeared to be a pair of Sunglasses of some sort, and we haven't used that before! Maybe its just me being picky that it looks different to the future sight.
  • edited August 2010
    I noticed that during the opening sequence for every Devils playhouse episode there was a toy that appeared to be a pair of Sunglasses of some sort, and we haven't used that before! Maybe its just me being picky that it looks different to the future sight.

Nutrition Specs.
  • edited August 2010
    i am not sure about that nararator ha may be the devil
  • edited August 2010
    seibert999 wrote: »
    i am not sure about that nararator ha may be the devil

He may be Junior.
  • edited August 2010
    junior is max
  • edited August 2010
    seibert999 wrote: »
    junior is max

Junior is INSIDE Max.
  • edited August 2010
    but he took control of max
  • edited August 2010
    Exactly, Max is not Junior, Junior is just in control of Max.
  • edited August 2010
    still i think the narrarator is either the devil or the devil son
  • edited August 2010
    Exactly, Max is not Junior, Junior is just in control of Max.
    Or not.
    It may be side-effects of using the Physic Toys (drawing from the Dark Dimension, turning you into a Cthullu being of that Dimension)...

We don't know.
  • edited August 2010
    That's something that confused me. The Elder Gods obviously use dark magic and such, so why do toys from their dimension give psychic powers? Are psychics and necromancers connected?
  • edited August 2010
    "Psychic ability" is just a (slightly) more socially-acceptable term for "magic."
  • edited August 2010
    Player_2 wrote: »
    "Psychic ability" is just a (slightly) more socially-acceptable term for "magic."

A Wizard Did It.
  • edited August 2010
    I'm sorry to break this to you, but there is but one solution for resolving 305 (that I can perceive). Max's condition is irreversible so Sam has to kill him. But the player will control Max in the underworld where he is free from the demonic taint.
    Using an unlikely combination of everyday items he manages to get back to the physical realm in his spirit form, and he'll be a ghost bunny next season.
  • edited August 2010
    caeska wrote: »
    I'm sorry to break this to you, but there is but one solution for resolving 305 (that I can perceive). Max's condition is irreversible so Sam has to kill him. But the player will control Max in the underworld where he is free from the demonic taint.
    Using an unlikely combination of everyday items he manages to get back to the physical realm in his spirit form, and he'll be a ghost bunny next season.

That might actually be pretty cool! Season Four could have a ghost Max who walks through walls and possesses people. Even better, he could possess people and empty their pockets into Sam's inventory. The challenge there would be figuring out which items are useful, which aren't, and how long you can "borrow" something without someone else.

I'd prefer to control Max in the Dark Dimension, or have him go through people's dreams, in this season's finale, however.
  • edited August 2010
    In The Penal Zone, Sam's worrying that Max's powers will prove harmful, and promises not to let anything bad or overly deadly happen to him; but Max reassures him that since he's one of the main characters, he can't die. I can totally see Telltale killing him off for real just because of that. Damn irony.
  • edited August 2010
    That might actually be pretty cool! Season Four could have a ghost Max who walks through walls and possesses people. Even better, he could possess people and empty their pockets into Sam's inventory. The challenge there would be figuring out which items are useful, which aren't, and how long you can "borrow" something without someone else.

I'd prefer to control Max in the Dark Dimension, or have him go through people's dreams, in this season's finale, however.

If Max did end up as a ghost at some point in the episode he would probably just get a clone body and be reborn like Momma Bosco. And then it will be another tidbit in the underrepresented elements of Max's character. After all, he's the president, a sea monkey priest, a character on Midtown Cowboys, co-contributor to a wing of Hell and now he's a psychic. These things rarely pop up anymore. Although if Telltale did a Season 4 it would be hard to sweep the psychic powers under the rug.
  • edited August 2010
    Well, a SECOND clone body, he is already on his first.
  • edited August 2010
    Well, a SECOND clone body, he is already on his first.

When did a first one become required and how did it become about?
  • edited August 2010
    What if Sam has to use part of his DNA?
  • edited August 2010
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    When did a first one become required and how did it become about?

Haven't you read the comics, Man? Remember "Bad Day on the Moon"?
  • edited August 2010
    caeska wrote: »
    Let's See What max thinks of that idea...
    snm_tdp_btaod_max.jpg
    ...I thought so. But Basically, that's ripping off Tales of Monkey Island.
  • edited August 2010
    Anyways, we just got confirmation in the top-secret thread that Sal is dead as a... ehm... dead cockroach. Of course, that may mean little if he can ghost about, or we visit hell again etc., but just keeping you all up-to-date!
  • edited August 2010
    I wonder what the Sal fans reactions will be to that. Hmmm. I'm okay. I'm not really a Sal fan. Please don't hurt me...
  • edited August 2010
    Anyways, we just got confirmation in the top-secret thread that Sal is dead as a... ehm... dead cockroach. Of course, that may mean little if he can ghost about, or we visit hell again etc., but just keeping you all up-to-date!

You liar. We were told the exact opposite. >.>
  • edited August 2010
    The biggest question I have unanswered from this last episode is: How exactly did Charlie Ho-Tep come to life and get a sample of Sam's DNA for cloning?

He probobly got some DNA from Sammeth. Maximus must have had Charlie bite him when they were fighting over the Devil's toybox.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.