Tour Jurassic Park!

Comments

• edited November 2011
    NICE JOB! It seems JP:The Game team really studied our Fan stuff to make this.
  • edited November 2011
    I reckon in film cannon the Baryonyx and Stegosaurus was to be shipped in during Phase II. Maybe we'd see Isla Sorna dinosaurs in Phase III depending on how "dangerous" they were considered. I suspect that Dilophosaurus at 20ft long would be too dangerous and either extra safety precautions would have to be made or they would be euthanised. Either that or dilos only have venom glands during childhood to protect them as youngsters and their venom subsides as an adult as it is big enough to defend itself.
  • edited November 2011
    please make this an "APP" for Ipad!!! This would be awesome in my jurassic park jeep replica Im working on.
  • edited November 2011
    T002Tyrant wrote: »
    I reckon in film cannon the Baryonyx and Stegosaurus was to be shipped in during Phase II. Maybe we'd see Isla Sorna dinosaurs in Phase III depending on how "dangerous" they were considered. I suspect that Dilophosaurus at 20ft long would be too dangerous and either extra safety precautions would have to be made or they would be euthanised. Either that or dilos only have venom glands during childhood to protect them as youngsters and their venom subsides as an adult as it is big enough to defend itself.

That's why there are signs on the Dilo enclosure that say not to roll down the windows of the safari vehicles. ;)
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2011
    T002Tyrant wrote: »
    ...Either that or dilos only have venom glands during childhood to protect them as youngsters and their venom subsides as an adult as it is big enough to defend itself.
    That's a strange conclusion to reach-- I mean, InGen can't really bank on a defense mechanism becoming vestigial through maturation.

I would imagine a more practical development from this would be InGen installing something like a salad bar sneeze guard at Dilo face level. After all, you can't lock your guests into the SUV AND disable the windows. If the tour broke down (haha) in the Dilo paddock, you'd need a way to allow visitors to safely exit the tour car in case of emergency.
  • TB3TB3
    edited November 2011
    I always had a similar thought about the JP Dilos, but my theory was that it was the frills that were features seen only on the juiveniles, in order to scare off attackers (or alternatively to draw their attention in order to make them look right at the dilos, resulting in easier targeting of the eyes), and that the frills fell off as the animals reached adulthood.

However, the actual venom was devised by Chrichton (as I recall) as an explanation for the weak jaws seen in Dilo skulls. His idea was that rather than using the mouth for mauling, the animal would simply bite the victim to induce envenomation (not via injection but like a gila monster, by chewing to work their venomous saliva into the wound), and then stepping back and waiting for the animal to die. Seems reasonable to me that such a tactic would work well in adulthood.

Also, given the other venomous theropods in the various canon (compies in the books, troodons in the game) it seems to be a common evolutionary trait that went through various iterations over the milennia.
  • edited November 2011
    Sinaz20 wrote: »
    That's a strange conclusion to reach-- I mean, InGen can't really bank on a defense mechanism becoming vestigial through maturation.

I would imagine a more practical development from this would be InGen installing something like a salad bar sneeze guard at Dilo face level. After all, you can't lock your guests into the SUV AND disable the windows. If the tour broke down (haha) in the Dilo paddock, you'd need a way to allow visitors to safely exit the tour car in case of emergency.
    But I thought that's why the windows remained up in the car in the movie?
    edited November 2011
    But I thought that's why the windows remained up in the car in the movie?

Yeah, but I was referring to the questionable practice of having both locked doors and locked windows.

Though, I suppose you could put a window breaker in the SUV. But still, if the SUV konks out in the Dilo paddock and you need to evacuate the guests-- you need some way to prevent the Dilos from spitting at them as they exit the vehicle.
  • edited November 2011
    Well I suppose those are things they were still working out or just hadn't realized or figured out before the park opened.

Plus one of the morality themes of jp is tech vs nature... They probably didn't really believe they hadn't thought of everything.
  • edited November 2011
    TB3 wrote: »
    I always had a similar thought about the JP Dilos, but my theory was that it was the frills that were features seen only on the juiveniles, in order to scare off attackers (or alternatively to draw their attention in order to make them look right at the dilos, resulting in easier targeting of the eyes), and that the frills fell off as the animals reached adulthood.

However, the actual venom was devised by Chrichton (as I recall) as an explanation for the weak jaws seen in Dilo skulls. His idea was that rather than using the mouth for mauling, the animal would simply bite the victim to induce envenomation (not via injection but like a gila monster, by chewing to work their venomous saliva into the wound), and then stepping back and waiting for the animal to die. Seems reasonable to me that such a tactic would work well in adulthood.

Also, given the other venomous theropods in the various canon (compies in the books, troodons in the game) it seems to be a common evolutionary trait that went through various iterations over the milennia.
    That's a cool theory. But look at it from this perspective, If the filmmakers of the future jurassic park "trilogy" decide to go back and put Dilophosaurus in the film, what will be the most iconic way they can show it off the audience after 20 years? Well first of all they MIGHT have it at it's correct size and second, just to let everyone know which dino it is, they will have it showing off it's frill. The fan theories have to take into account that the filmmakers are not going to be giving their dinosaurs very much thought.
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah, but I was referring to the questionable practice of having both locked doors and locked windows.

Though, I suppose you could put a window breaker in the SUV. But still, if the SUV konks out in the Dilo paddock and you need to evacuate the guests-- you need some way to prevent the Dilos from spitting at them as they exit the vehicle.

Here's a great opportunity to clear this up for us.

Is the tour road going through the dilo paddock or around it along the fence?
    If it's going through, would this explain why Nedry ran into one on his way to the East dock? ..or more importantly why the dilo paddock is on the left side of the tour road on your map, when the group was told to look out the right side of the tour vehicles? Tell me tell me i must know!
    edited November 2011
    AndyCullen wrote: »
    Here's a great opportunity to clear this up for us.

Is the tour road going through the dilo paddock or around it along the fence?
    If it's going through, would this explain why Nedry ran into one on his way to the East dock? ..or more importantly why the dilo paddock is on the left side of the tour road on your map, when the group was told to look out the right side of the tour vehicles? Tell me tell me i must know!

So, let's see if I can clear things up here.

The tour road goes through the Dilophosaurus paddock area, but the icon on the map is not meant to indicate a discrete paddock. The Dilos inhabit both sides of the track and probably would so until additional paddocks were carved out for future species.

But, also, consider that the interior of the island does not really represent a cordoning off of herbivores. They are given free reign of the interior plains... so though the map places icons, and the park tries to keep them in one spot or another, they can and do roam.

Nedry is using a combination of tour roads AND service roads that run roughly parallel to the main tour roads but pass directly through the paddocks.

Also, the movie has its geographical quarks.

Notice how the tour vehicles manage to make a U-Turn to pass back through the T-Rex paddock without driving in reverse. There's no indication of where such a loop back would occur. Phase 2 map has an area where such a turn around could occur.
  • edited November 2011
    As a Jurassic Park Fan Boy. I'm going to throw this out...Ingen had nooo Idea what they were doing. The book explains it better and a problem with the first film..is the camera angels..they make you fee sort of lost..that's why from what I heard the Isla Nublar map took forever to figure things out because..because you only have so much material to go on and prop maps that really aren't that all reliable. Because they are a generalization...you hand a tourist a schematic and they are going to be..."Uh, Uh." You hand them a generalization...well they will understand it a bit better.
  • edited November 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »
    As a Jurassic Park Fan Boy. I'm going to throw this out...Ingen had nooo Idea what they were doing.

i think that was the takeaway from "jurassic park." no matter how good your ideas are and how carefully you plan, reality has absolutely no reason whatsoever to conform. man cannot bend nature to his will. but perhaps woman can...
  • edited November 2011
    i think that was the takeaway from "jurassic park." no matter how good your ideas are and how carefully you plan, reality has absolutely no reason whatsoever to conform. man cannot bend nature to his will. but perhaps woman can...

I think Hammonds original plans for Site B could Have Worked perfectly... a small amount of buildings on an island with dinosaurs and an electric fence perimeter around the labs and power stations. a monorail to move around the island. with intent to invite dinosaur scientists, Hammond could have made InGen money by striking visitation deals with major institutions. Its the Mass tourist attraction that only asks for trouble. intending to have civillian Guests is where InGen went wrong...
  • TB3TB3
    edited November 2011
    SWGNATE wrote: »
    I think Hammonds original plans for Site B could Have Worked perfectly... a small amount of buildings on an island with dinosaurs and an electric fence perimeter around the labs and power stations. a monorail to move around the island. with intent to invite dinosaur scientists, Hammond could have made InGen money by striking visitation deals with major institutions. Its the Mass tourist attraction that only asks for trouble. intending to have civillian Guests is where InGen went wrong...

Problem is Swgnate is that it's not much of a business plan, especially given the massive investment that Hammond required from his backers in order to finance the JP genetic technology - remember that the dinosaurs themselves are just the hook, and that InGen stood to make billions from Jurassic Park franchises (other Parks across the world) and more money from merchandising - from a returns-driven standpoint, there's no way running Site B as a scientific curio could compete, and the odds are that if something like that had been done, there would have eventually been demands to build a tourist-driven facility anyway, just to cater to the mass desire in everyday people to see actual dinosaurs.

I'm just glad (in the context of the film) that the original plan to build the JP Amphitheatre in San Diego got pulled - that would have been a bloodbath!
    Also, the movie has its geographical quarks.

Notice how the tour vehicles manage to make a U-Turn to pass back through the T-Rex paddock without driving in reverse. There's no indication of where such a loop back would occur. Phase 2 map has an area where such a turn around could occur.

I don't know if you're aware of this Sinaz, but there's a deleted line of dialogue in the script that explains that, sequenced immediately after the storm hits Isla Nublar's breakwater:

START

47 INT CONTROL ROOM DUSK

HAMMOND is with RAY ARNOLD, staring at the video screens.

ARNOLD
    I found a way to re-route through the program. I'm
    turning the cars around in the rest area loop.

HAMMOND
    Rotten luck, this storm. Get my grandchildren on the
    radio will you? I don't want them to worry about a wee
    bit of rain.

Arnold reaches for the hand microphone.

END

You can then imagine the camera tracking over to Nedry arguing on the vid-phone with the man at the east dock (Miles Chadwick presumably, identified in the script as the ship's mate).

Seems to me that (in another of the computer systems quirks) there was no proceedure in place for aborting the Safari tour (and if the park was open, with dozens of vehicles orbiting clockwise around the track, a turn around would be impossible), but Arnold was able to clobber together a work-around.

There's also the famous geographical blooper of how the 'paddock map' shows the Triceratops should preceed the T-Rex on the tour, leading many to suggest that the sick Trike was actually being temporarily housed in the 'Reserve Paddock' seen during the fence-shut-down scene.

But back on topic, I can't wait to see more of what Telltale will reveal about the incomplete Park (or maybe even mention the abandoned San Diego Amphitheatre project). Features like the Amusement Park, the North Dock and the Power Plant really have my interest piqued.

One thing I was wondering though is if the game is going to make any mention of Isla Nublar's other resort facilities, such as hotels (from various materials there seem to be three, the Safari Lodge, the Inguanadon Inn, and the Treetop Inn located in the Pteranodon Aviary), staff residences or the planned airstrip, referenced in another line of cut dialogue from the script during the arrival by helicopter;

START

HAMMOND (cont'd)
    Bad wind shears! We have to drop pretty fast! Hold on,
    this can be a little thrilling!

The helicopter drops like a stone. Outside the windows, they
    can see cliff walls racing by, uncomfortably close. They bounce like
    hell, hitting wind up and down drafts.

Only Hammond still feels chatty.

HAMMOND (cont'd)
    We're planning an airstrip! On pilings, extending out
    into the ocean twelve thousand feet! Like La Guardia,
    only a lot safer! What do you think?

They don't answer, just hold on.

END

Obviously the inference by their arrival by helicopter is that Isla Nublar (unlike Sorna) does not even have a primitive airstrip at this stage, but when built, a 12,000 foot runway would allow for planes up to and including jumbos like the 747 to land, and slides of proposed air services can be seen during the endorsement team's luncheon in the Visitor Center.

Combined with the helipad and the park's ability to recieve cruise liners at the North Dock, Isla Nublar would have had the capacity to handle thousands of guest arrivals and departures on a daily basis, not just as an amusement-park or biological-preserve, but as a bona-fide resort.

I'm really glad that the game continues to give us similiar hints and glimpses of the full scope of Hammond's unfinished dream, and I can't wait. :)
  • edited November 2011
    Phase 2 map has an area where such a turn around could occur.

The map mentions Phase 2 as well. So are we going to see another map in the next days?
    edited November 2011
    The map mentions Phase 2 as well. So are we going to see another map in the next days?

No, our map is like, an updated interim map between Phase 1 and Phase 2. It has some corrections to which dinosaurs ended up in which paddocks, some corrections to geography (notice that the compass rose has been tilted a bit and some rivers given more accurate courses.) It's kinda like you are looking at a prototype map for Phase 2 in the InGen board room... some of the icon interactivity could be considered as the board of trustees pointing at the map and asking "what about the power plant?" "what about that troublesome geneticist?" "what? No nighttime tour? But we already bought the night vision goggles!"

I don't know of any additional maps-- we spent a lot of time on that map. Even though it looks like the original map, it was actually repainted from the canvas up, so to speak, with an eye for authenticity and reverence.
  • edited November 2011
    By the way: Are we gonna see another trailer till the game's release? I noticed that the original trailer isn't up on your YouTube channel anymore.
    edited November 2011
    By the way: Are we gonna see another trailer till the game's release? I noticed that the original trailer isn't up on your YouTube channel anymore.

I don't know-- that's all up to marketing, now.
  • edited November 2011
    I'm sorry if this has been a repost (searched the forums but couldn't find an answer) but has anyone seen the time code on the quarantine pen video on the map? It goes all over the place instead of just showing the passage of time.
  • edited November 2011
    groucho983 wrote: »
    I'm sorry if this has been a repost (searched the forums but couldn't find an answer) but has anyone seen the time code on the quarantine pen video on the map? It goes all over the place instead of just showing the passage of time.

Someone messed with the time, it will be explained in the game, possibly.
  • edited November 2011
    MasCot wrote: »
    According to Billy and Grant in JP3, for some reason Spinosaurus wasn't on InGen's list of dinosaurs, the company didn't admit to its existence.

... or, as some guys had long discussed in the JP communities, spinos, just as the dilophos, were too juvenile Baryonyxes to be indentified as such. Also... by 1993 the Spinosaurid group was a mess in Paleontology. Only from 96 and over, that new fossil findings in Brazil and Northern Africa could philogenetically conect Baryonyx to Spinosaur, to Suchummimus, to Irritator, and so on...

The same happened to the Raptors... by that time, the Velociraptor and Deinonychus genera were synominous to Science.

About the aviary: Guys, in the new trailer it is shown a flock of pterosaurs flyng. There will be a scene with them.

About Brachios: they will certainly show them. ;)

ONE VERY IMPORTANT FIX TO TELLTALE:

On the text describing Velociraptor: Velociraptor fossils are provenient from the LATE CRETACEOUS ~80 MYA.

:pSorry being so stupidly being Ross Geller. It's just the bad behaviour from work. But the game will be definatelly Accurate to the Fan Community.

NICE JOB!;)
  • edited November 2011
    Everyone missed a feature. Will we see the Jurassic Park Tennis?
  • edited November 2011
    How about the Nublar Golf Course seen on one of the Projectors during the lunch scene in JP, can we take a break from getting chased by the Rex to enjoy the Beautiful 18 Hole Course :p
    edited November 2011
    How about the Nublar Golf Course seen on one of the Projectors during the lunch scene in JP, can we take a break from getting chased by the Rex to enjoy the Beautiful 18 Hole Course :p

I have a feeling Florida players would be old hands when it comes to big hungry lizards hiding in the rough. :D
  • edited November 2011
    For my first post here on these forums, I have to say that I absolutely love the tour page on the main site. Very well done! It's things like this that get my excited for a game.
  • edited November 2011
    I have a feeling Florida players would be old hands when it comes to big hungry lizards hiding in the rough. :D

Been living in Florida for like 16 years, that's the biggest stereotype if I have ever seen one.
  • edited November 2011
    Been living in Florida for like 16 years, that's the biggest stereotype if I have ever seen one.

I know, right? You'd think they'd know that dinosaurs aren't necessarily lizards by now.:p
    edited November 2011
    I know, right? You'd think they'd know that dinosaurs aren't necessarily lizards by now.:p

Made my day. :D
  • edited November 2011
    Oh. I thought you were talking about the retirees. :p
  • edited November 2011
    I really love how the tour map was laid out. I first thought of "the magic word" when it asked me for the password. I typed IT in an got access :D I really hope they have puzzle/security-questions based on the book or the novel. I really like that Herrerasaurus is making it in and that Troodon seems very creepy and mysterious (especially in the Quarantine pens video. I pre-ordered the deluxe edition and can't wait for the release. Im a very picky gamer, which is why I don't like CoD at all (hate me if you'd want) and I believe this game to be very very great so far. Also.....THANK YOU FOR ADDING THE MARINE FACILITY!!!! lol
  • edited November 2011
    What is the code to enter restricted areas?
    try to everything you mentioned in the film,
    does not work.
  • edited November 2011
    what is the code to enter restricted areas?
    Try to everything you mentioned in the film,
    does not work.

i hate this hacker crap.
  • edited November 2011
    Here's a theory that you're not going to like... What if the Pteranodon's are just part of an epilogue that takes place after JP3 and shows the free Pteranodon from that movie coming to nest at the abandoned park? I hate the possibility but it still is one.

i hate to say that your wrong, but there is a novel about the pterenadons nesting near a city, just forgot which one though i think london or some place like that, and when Dr. Grant heres about this, i am pretty sure they go over too that place and wipe out the pterenadons, i am not so sur because ive never read it, ive read the description for it online though, you got to go to google and type in all jurassic park novels, it should be in one of those:):):):)
  • edited November 2011
    i hate to say that your wrong, but there is a novel about the pterenadons nesting near a city, just forgot which one though i think london or some place like that, and when Dr. Grant heres about this, i am pretty sure they go over too that place and wipe out the pterenadons, i am not so sur because ive never read it, ive read the description for it online though, you got to go to google and type in all jurassic park novels, it should be in one of those:):):):)

I have that, its called Jurassic Park Adventures:Flyers, the pteranadons that escaped Isla Sorna in JP3 attack Universal Studios, u know how dat'll go lol
  • edited November 2011
    I have that, its called Jurassic Park Adventures:Flyers, the pteranadons that escaped Isla Sorna in JP3 attack Universal Studios, u know how dat'll go lol

kk thanks i knew it was something along the lines of that, just forgot the name of it, i will eventually find it online and read it
  • edited November 2011
    np, i found it at a garage sale, can't find any in bookstores now :-/
  • edited November 2011
    How was the route they took with the explorers in the movie?

- Visitors Center
    - Gate
    - Dilophosaurus
    - T-Rex
    - Triceratops
    - T-Rex Paddock again (then stuck)

When looking at the map that really does not makes sense... it is just not working.
  • edited November 2011
    What is the code to enter restricted areas?
    try to everything you mentioned in the film,
    does not work.

media_httpwwwgifninja_Clwwb.gif

"Ah, ah, ah... you didn't say the magic word!"
Sign in to comment in this discussion.