The Summer of Sam & Max

EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
edited May 2009 in Sam & Max

Comments

• edited June 2007
    Awsome. Love the designer commentary. That is cool you guys did more than one commentary track.
  • MelMel
    edited June 2007
    If you're goin' to San Francisco
    Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair...

I love the page design. :)
  • edited June 2007
    Yaaaaaaay!!! Huzzah!!! :D

-jumps around-
  • edited June 2007
    Ooh, I'm liking what's there so far. It's a good thing I've got the RSS feed installed, or I'd likely have missed this.

Thanks, TTG! You rock!
  • edited June 2007
    Loved it! :D
  • edited June 2007
    I just watched the producer commentary, it was great! :D It's nice to hear from all the people who helped make it. :)
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited June 2007
    Yay! :)

I was wondering how you were going to do the commentary. It worked out extremely well. :D
  • edited June 2007
    I'm so happy !
  • edited June 2007
    I find it sort of cool that all the commentaries mention the actor for Bosco. I mean, his voice stands out from the rest and he seems to be the only one who did voice acting for other big name games.
  • edited June 2007
    That opening solo is pretty nice, good to finally hear it. I also especially liked the part about needing a special camera angle to fit Jared Emerson-Johnson's name in the credits; it payed off though, that is a very nice shot :)
    Anyway: yay, stuff! With all of this maybe we can actually keep the forum community together long enough for the next season to start.
  • edited June 2007
    About the commentary where you guys/girls, girls/guys, talked about how and why Brady Culture was so unpopular. It's kind of complicated. I didn't like him, no, but that's mainly because I hated "The Brady Bunch".

I thought he was a well developed and well done character, and you should all be proud of that. But I just... Really hated the Brady Bunch. Some people liked that show, the rest hated it. So you shouldn't be too upset about it.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2007
    More Culture Shock stuff is up! Concept art, Dave Grossman, Q&A, and the Play It Again stuff that you guys probably already read, since you love the forums so much :)
  • edited June 2007
    Seems like everything I click on the concept art, Dave Grossman G&A, and the play it Again stuff, it opens up a user name and password thingy. i can still access the page, but I am wondering if is a bug
    edited June 2007
    Fixed! Sorry about that.
  • edited June 2007
    Ooh, good stuff. If each update is this cool, I'll definitely want to keep watching...
  • edited June 2007
    Just gets better and better! :D
  • jmmjmm
    edited June 2007
    Great stuff, great stuff! Keep 'em coming!

I kinda liked more the other Sybil though. As for alternate Bosco, glad you changed him.
    Or perhaps the jarring contrast between Sam & Max and other forms of entertainment. It could even have to do with bacteria, popular mass media

:D
  • edited June 2007
    jmm wrote: »
    Great stuff, great stuff! Keep 'em coming!

I kinda liked more the other Sybil though. As for alternate Bosco, glad you changed him.

:D

Pre paranoid? Bosco is lame in ways he seems generic. Then again, it is a rough sketch.
    Was that version of Bosco going to be crazy or was he going to be someone sport a fishermen's accent and speak pirate slang?

Was the sailor Bosco concept art drawn by Dave Grossman? I recall in the commentary how he and Purcell made the character up. Just that the rough sketch seems too sketchy for a professional artist. No offense, Mr. Grossman.

As for alternate Sybil, she doesn't strike me purcellish. I assume that version wasn't created by Purcell. Even though current Sybil is cool w/ me, after looking at the concept arts for Sybil, I kinda wonder if the tatoo chick from the lucasarts cataloge comic (the one who was giving Max a snake tatoo that looks like a candy can,) was ever in consideration to be Sybil. That chick is hot.
  • edited June 2007
    From the Q&A:

"The first episode is titled "Culture Shock". What does this title stand for?"

"(yadda yadda)...It could even have to do with bacteria...(yadda yadda)"

Intentional foreshadowing, perchance? :P
  • edited June 2007
    Now then, who want's to guess the ?!? at the last week, Easy for ideas, but ONE is right but what guess? Let's wait and see!
  • edited June 2007
    Yeah, I saw that... I'm hoping it's details about Season 2! Maybe that's when they will "officially" announce it? :D
  • edited June 2007
    My guess goes for the surprise that should be included on The Disk, but who knows? Maybe it's a whole new surprise :)
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2007
    About the concepts - I think Bosco was always going to be crazy. Sailor Bosco was probably drawn by our art director. (And he probably never expected us to stick it up on the internet for critique. :p) The redesign was based on suggestions from Steve.

As for Sybil, she is pretty much 100% a Steve creation. Originally she was actually going to look like Myra (we have that sketch but are saving it for the episode 2 concepts). Steve wanted her to be younger and prettier, more appealing, since she would be a recurring character that players needed to like. The blue-haired girl with the jacket was what our art director came up with. Steve still didn't like it, so he sketched out what he thought Sybil should look like (the center pencil sketch -- where Sybil starts to look like Sybil -- was Steve's).
  • edited June 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    About the concepts - I think Bosco was always going to be crazy. Sailor Bosco was probably drawn by our art director. (And he probably never expected us to stick it up on the internet for critique. :p) The redesign was based on suggestions from Steve.

As for Sybil, she is pretty much 100% a Steve creation. Originally she was actually going to look like Myra (we have that sketch but are saving it for the episode 2 concepts). Steve wanted her to be younger and prettier, more appealing, since she would be a recurring character that players needed to like. The blue-haired girl with the jacket was what our art director came up with. Steve still didn't like it, so he sketched out what he thought Sybil should look like (the center pencil sketch -- where Sybil starts to look like Sybil -- was Steve's).

Ahhh. I have to agree with Purcell in not liking the blue haired Sybil. Like Sailor Bosco, she didn't seem to sport the Purcell's styilzed art. She doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the cast. However, sailor Bosco seems to fit in more with Purcell's cast of characters. I can see sailor Bosco getting the purcell treatment and be used as a background character like say, a captain of the love boat or a waiter at a sailor themed restaurant
  • edited June 2007
    doom saber wrote: »
    However, sailor Bosco seems to fit in more with Purcell's cast of characters. I can see sailor Bosco getting the purcell treatment and be used as a background character like say, a captain of the love boat or a waiter at a sailor themed restaurant
    How about as a new character entirely in Season 2 when our favorite duo goes out to sea (or at least to the local dock)?
  • edited June 2007
    Sam & Max imitate Monkey Island eh? :p I say go for it! That would infuriate LucasArts something fierce! :p Max as a pirate, could be interesting... LucasArts doesn't own the copyright to pirates afterall.
  • edited June 2007
    Zeek wrote: »
    How about as a new character entirely in Season 2 when our favorite duo goes out to sea (or at least to the local dock)?

I think that is what I was suggesting in my previous post
  • edited June 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    Sam & Max imitate Monkey Island eh? :p I say go for it! That would infuriate LucasArts something fierce! :p Max as a pirate, could be interesting... LucasArts doesn't own the copyright to pirates afterall.

Also, if Lucasarts complain, TT can easily say they were infulenced by the pirates of the caribbean movie and the upcomming reality show, Pirate Masters

They could call the island moleman island
  • edited June 2007
    Early Sybil with big eyes and blue hair seems to have stepped out of an anime. She looks good nonetheless, but she doesn't really fit in the Purcell style.

Sailor Bosco is hilarious.
  • edited June 2007
    vhfrdhyt
  • edited June 2007
    reinisc wrote: »
    vhfrdhyt

:D Spam! This is the best christmas ever!
  • jmmjmm
    edited June 2007
    spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam and spam!
    This is a Monty Python reference
  • edited June 2007
    Where's the history part 1? J'm going to sleep soon... :p
  • edited June 2007
    JK1985 wrote: »
    Where's the history part 1? J'm going to sleep soon... :p

Where is the new one for today? It said june 12 right?
  • edited June 2007
    Eh. Someone probably forgot that it's June 12th San Francisco Time, not June 12th Australia Time
  • edited June 2007
    Trixie wrote: »
    Now then, who want's to guess the ?!? at the last week, Easy for ideas, but ONE is right but what guess? Let's wait and see!

....ahem.....

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=B646990A
  • edited June 2007
    Trixie wrote: »

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the Telltale-team will work on Season 2 the entire summer, and release the first episode that date. :D Nah, I'm just kidding. I hope you take a well deserved break this summer, and come back even stronger than before! ;)

Hmm, what could it be? Re-release of Surfin' the Highway? Cake for everyone? Nah, I really have no idea. We'll just have to enjoy the summer and be patient.

*Starts counting the seconds till 28th of August*
    edited June 2007
    History part 1 is up on the SoSaM site.

What a horrible acronym.
  • jmmjmm
    edited June 2007
    Jake, the url is wrong... it points to www.telltaelgames.com/summerofsamandmax

And yes, that is a terrible acronym :D:rolleyes:
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2007
    Link fixed. :)
    Ooze33 wrote: »

True. But also a total coincidence and not what we are representing with that !!?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.