TV series DVDs from Shout! Factory... Could it be? COULD IT BE?

Comments

• edited February 2008
    In any event, now that the release is imminent, there's probably little you can tell us about Sam & Max, which is why you're now going to give us all inside info you have on the MST3K releases.
  • edited February 2008
    The bulk of the MST3K information is that we're setting up a brainstorming meeting to discuss the potential of MST3K, including packaging design, movies, and bonus material. Nothing really set in stone, yet. But as soon as I do have something, I can fill you in on more.

Brian
  • edited February 2008
    Err, cool! Wasn't expecting an actual response to that.
  • edited February 2008
    Bward wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd really like to know who's selling it early. I mean, retailers don't even have it, yet, so it would be someone who is somehow affiliated with the plant or an online critic that's selling the copy we sent them.

Brian

The person is from New york city. Hopefully I don't get scammed, but I'm usually really good at avoiding this stuff...

But on a similar note... I received a package today that was suppost to be my Escape From New York collector's set from ebay, but it turned out to be the inferior single disc. I will have vengence!
  • edited February 2008
    Ouch. Good luck with that, xChri5x. Let me know how the set turns out.

Brian
  • edited February 2008
    By the way, any chance of getting some shots of the slim-case artworks?
  • edited February 2008
    I'm keeping them relatively under wraps, in order to give you guys something to look forward to on release day. But if Jake or Emily want to post some, I'd be fine with it.

Brian
  • edited February 2008
    Do the series include english subtitles? English is not my native language (I'm from Spain) and I need english subtitles to understand all the dialogues. Please, say they are included, I want to buy the DVDs (on Telltale Store, of course... :)
  • edited February 2008
    My question about Region-2 / Region-Free DVD was answered by Tell Tale support, but they couldn't answer for sure about possibility for HD (I guess it's now BluRay then) release. Just wondering if the original material would allow HD transfer too?
  • edited February 2008
    Anything could be converted to Blu-Ray, but I don't think it's something we're contemplating at the moment. I'm guessing our first Blu-Ray title(s) will be something that originated in HD.

Brian
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, upscaling a show that was created at standard definition to HD would just be ... the same as the regular DVD? It seems like any clarity over watching it on a regular progressive scan DVD player would be more perceived than real.
  • edited February 2008
    Depending on the source material, you might see a little difference. In some cases, the difference is actually worse. Animation, I hear, converts pretty well. Dunno. It could happen one day, I guess.
    edited February 2008
    Now that you finished the SD version, time to get on it right away.
  • edited February 2008
    Depending on the source material, you might see a little difference. In some cases, the difference is actually worse. Animation, I hear, converts pretty well. Dunno. It could happen one day, I guess.

I heard the opposite about animation in HD. Something about it fails to look like a living drawing and more like spaztic mark making because of dust that went unnoticed in the SD due to the low resolution.
  • edited February 2008
    Heh... there was actually a thing on the Futurama movie DVD about how they had to upscale some of the reused backgrounds for HD and 16x9, since all the art was done for 4x3 originally.
  • edited February 2008
    I know people who've done tests with a particularly popular 20-something-year-old animated series and they ranted and raved over the outcome. I didn't see it myself, but they were incredibly surprised by the result. Not what they expected at all.
  • edited February 2008
    Since Brian's answering some questions here. You did a great job on the My So Called Life set, how's that going? Any plans to release more Nelvana series on dvd?
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    But if Jake or Emily want to post some, I'd be fine with it.

Ooh, is that a challenge? :D

Next week when GDC and WonderCon are over, I might just have time to do this...
  • edited February 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    Ooh, is that a challenge? :D

Next week when GDC and WonderCon are over, I might just have time to do this...

Are we going to see the wood-grain desk again, as well as the "hand model" from the Surfin' the Highway shots? :p
  • edited February 2008
    Another one popped up on ebay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Sam-Max-Freelance-Police-The-Complete-Series-NEW_W0QQitemZ110226462129QQihZ001QQcategoryZ617QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It doesn't mention if the seller has it on hand, but it doesn't say he doesn't! lol I'd ask before buying since there have been a couple "pre-order" auctions.

There's even a copy of the new Surfin' the Highway, cheaper than it is in the TTG store
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SAM-MAX-SURFIN-HIGHWAY-TP_W0QQitemZ230224794606QQihZ013QQcategoryZ35784QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    edited February 2008
    that "hand model" is our very own Doug Tabacco!
  • edited February 2008
    Anything could be converted to Blu-Ray, but I don't think it's something we're contemplating at the moment. I'm guessing our first Blu-Ray title(s) will be something that originated in HD.

Brian

Ok. I was just wondering what kind of source material you have. Don't know how the animations are really produced, so if they are filmed to real film while producing, the analog film would contain much more detail than the current 1080p HDs anyhow (that's how they get the old 60s Star Trek's to HD too, and other older movies just by transfering the material from the master films again and doing retouching and color fixing). Upscaling is just cheap trick to fool customers. I don't like such releases at all.
    edited February 2008
    I'm pretty sure, based on how digital the zoom ins and pans look in the cartoon, that its masters were produced with a lot of post-processing on a video editing deck or nonlinear video editing suite - it didn't look like any of the camera moves or effects were done in-camera on film.
  • edited February 2008
    Yeah, we're living in a digital age. No celluloid here.

Brian
  • edited February 2008
    Yeah, we're living in a digital age. No celluloid here.

Brian

Yeah, it's all vector lines now. Unless you're Foster's, then it's all AfterFX.
  • edited February 2008
    I got my set in the mail today!!! It's beautiful. The art inside is even better. I have yet to check out the discs but I will tonight!!!

Edit:

I really enjoyed a Comic-conversation with Steve Purcell. Very nicely done with some of the best clips from the show edited in. It felt....right. I was very satisfied with it. Telling the tale of Telltale games was also a nice addition that kind of extends on the short history of Sam & Max that Steve was talking about in his interview and it nicely includes both cinematic season trailers for the games. I'm really glad that the games are brought up in this set because if there is someone who picks this set up not knowing much about the characters it'll let them know that they are still going strong!
    It's really great having the complete collection of episodes in one set in full quality. The menus are really nicely animated and the whole set just shows that there was lots of love and care put into this.
    Thank you Brian Ward!

I'll never be able to decide where to stick this sticker...

PS. That trailer for the Mario Bros. show with the live action segments brings back memories of watching it very late at night when I was a kid. That was the only time I think it was on and this was like over 10 years ago, lol.
    I still think Bob Huskins and John Leguizamo make better Mario Bros.
  • edited February 2008
    Guh! I wish mine were here. :(
  • edited February 2008
    We... need... photos!!!
  • edited February 2008
    I just took some rough photos so you can all get the idea of what it looks like!

Picture045.jpg

Picture041.jpg

Picture042.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Picture044.jpg

Picture046.jpg
    My shrine. Yes, that's the sticker included in the packaging! All I need now is Surfin' the Highway!
  • edited February 2008
    I'm keeping them relatively under wraps, in order to give you guys something to look forward to on release day. But if Jake or Emily want to post some, I'd be fine with it.
    a noble effort, but it seems one is powerless against a sam & max fan with a camera and, well, ebay..
  • edited February 2008
    Very nice!

I'm curious about that Hit the Road box on the left, Telltale produced?
  • edited February 2008
    Very nice!

I'm curious about that Hit the Road box on the left, Telltale produced?

laserschwert produced!
  • edited February 2008
    Yup.

<shameless plug>
    Get it here:
    http://www.adventure-treff.de/specials/dl_goodies.php#dvdcover
    </shameless plug>
  • edited February 2008
    DasJan wrote: »
    Yup.

<shameless plug>
    Get it here:
    </shameless plug>

I love those dvd covers! Any chance of a Day Of The Tentacle one?
  • edited February 2008
    As I suspected, the copy you received was a promo copy we sent out to someone, hence the sticker covering the barcode on the back of the box.

Reviewers and the like, apparently, can't be trusted.

Enjoy!

Brian
  • edited February 2008
    DasJan wrote: »
    Yup.

<shameless plug>
    Get it here:
    </shameless plug>

Until now I hadn't realized you're hosting those too... thanks anyway ;)
  • edited February 2008
    As I suspected, the copy you received was a promo copy we sent out to someone, hence the sticker covering the barcode on the back of the box.

Reviewers and the like, apparently, can't be trusted.

Enjoy!

Brian

At least they didn't wack it up on the torrent sites like some reviewers (see The Wire) The set looks mighty impressive. Can't wait to get my hands on one.
  • edited February 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    I just took some rough photos so you can all get the idea of what it looks like!
    Picture046.jpg
    My shrine. Yes, that's the sticker included in the packaging! All I need now is Surfin' the Highway!

What's that one all the way on the right? Is it one of the comic books?
  • edited February 2008
    Molokov wrote: »
    What's that one all the way on the right? Is it one of the comic books?

I'm pretty sure that's one of the three VHS's of the animated series that were released.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.