TV series DVDs from Shout! Factory... Could it be? COULD IT BE?

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Lionhart, where are you located? This is something for me to look into.

Brian
  • edited March 2008
    *sobs* Only paperback STH in the bundles.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    We were going to do a bundle with the hardcover but had to pull it at the last minute due to back-end store issues that are complicated and annoying and I won't bother you with. Sorry. :(

Look on the bright side - you don't want to have to wait until "Spring 2008" for your DVD to ship, and that's what would have happened with a hardcover bundle.

Also, the bundles are here for anyone who's interested.
  • edited March 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    We were going to do a bundle with the hardcover but had to pull it at the last minute due to back-end store issues that are complicated and annoying and I won't bother you with. Sorry. :(

Look on the bright side - you don't want to have to wait until "Spring 2008" for your DVD to ship, and that's what would have happened with a hardcover bundle.

Also, the bundles are here for anyone who's interested.

I'm ordering everything in one - so I will either way. ;)
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    Oh well. No bright side for you. :p
  • edited March 2008
    Once again, Shout! has dropped the ball. I just got back from a run of Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, and Circuit City... and found nothing (Chicagoland area). I should have expected this, though, as this is the way it has been with nearly every Shout! release I have gotten. I'm sure that Best Buy will have it in sometime next month, but I want it now.

I am always blown away by the amount of care and detail that is put into every Shout! title I own. That is why I continue to buy the releases, even some obscure titles that I may not have bought otherwise. Also, I have dealt with Customer Service on two occasions and have had very positive and quick experiences. With that said, I really wish Shout! would put more effort into wider retail distribution, in my opinion, this is where the company is seriously lacking.

So instead, I'll be buying Sam & Max from the cheapest online seller. I'll have to wait about a week for it to be delivered, but I'll be saving around 10$ from what I would have paid at Best Buy.

Also, thanks again to Brian for all the hard work you put into this set, and for reaching out to the fanbase for suggestions. Hopefully you can pass on the feelings I've expressed in my rant to someone in the proper department.
  • edited March 2008
    I'm pretty sure they aren't to blame with it not being in Big Box stores. Why don't you try a record store.
    Sunrise Records usually has a ton of odd titles as well as HMV. Cinema One is another retailer that has a huge selection.
  • edited March 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they aren't to blame with it not being in Big Box stores. Why don't you try a record store.
    Sunrise Records usually has a ton of odd titles as well as HMV. Cinema One is another retailer that has a huge selection.

First, I am not trying to blame anyone, I am just providing constructive criticism based on my experiences. And yes, as with any company, they do have a say-so in where/how their products are distributed. Even if they have another company handling their distributions, then that was their decision.

I don't live in Canada (which is where those three stores seem to be primarily located), but thanks for the advice. In the future I will check some local big name record stores for such releases.
  • edited March 2008
    Well you could order it on Amazon
  • edited March 2008
    If you're in one of their states, Frys is a good bet too. They carry pretty much everything :)
  • edited March 2008
    In defense of Shout, we never had a ball to drop. We sell product to retail chains. And they don't have to buy it. If Best Buy doesn't think it'll sell, they don't carry the product. We don't dictate to them. We kiss their butts and then they buy from us. Most of the ones you mentioned are confirmed as having ordered so many from our distributor. Then, we send their headquarters their allotment six weeks before street date. Best Buy chooses which stores get what. Target decides which stores get what. Circuit City, FYE, Frys, etc... They all decide for themselves which of their stores receive product and which don't. We're just a label. We have nothing to do with stores receiving copies. And we have no ability to dictate to those chains who should get how many of what.

You wanna order from us? They're guaranteed in-stock right now. Telltale has some. Amazon has 'em...

Brian
  • edited March 2008
    05-30-02-timeballweb.jpg

;)
  • edited March 2008
    I bought one at Best Buy today. There was one other one there.
  • edited March 2008
    Picked mine up at Best Buy as well, $14.99 after some Reward Zone certs I had expiring, they had one copy left.
  • edited March 2008
    I was at Hastings earlier and they had a few on the shelf. :D
  • edited March 2008
    Bward wrote: »
    In defense of Shout[...]

Brian, thank you for your informing reply. I feel that I may have been too harsh towards Shout! in my original post. Mainly because I did not have an accurate understanding of the distribution process.

It still upsets me that Shout! releases don't get a larger initial product order/placement from retailers, especially when so many other niche labels seem to. I hope that with future releases this will improve.
  • edited March 2008
    I ordered mine from Amazon.com and it arrived today. I am currently watching it as I type this.

Someone needs to contact Adult Swim about a new Sam and Max cartoon ASAP.
  • edited March 2008
    GMCustom wrote: »

Why new? FLCL was only 6 episodes long, and they aren't going to make any new ones. Same goes for Cowboy Bebop and their season. I don't see why there needs to be anything new made, especially since adult swim seems to thrive on nightly reruns, which could work very well for Sam & Max.
  • edited March 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    Why new? FLCL was only 6 episodes long, and they aren't going to make any new ones. Same goes for Cowboy Bebop and their season. I don't see why there needs to be anything new made, especially since adult swim seems to thrive on nightly reruns, which could work very well for Sam & Max.

I don't know about that logic. FLCL and Cowboy Bebop have no potential for future episodes, but Sam & Max was just getting started. There's plenty of potential there, just as much potential as there is for video games.

The real problem, as far as I can tell, is that Steve Purcell is too busy at the moment. I wouldn't want to take him away from consultation on the games, plus whatever he's doing at Pixar.
  • edited March 2008
    I ordered mine from Amazon.com and it arrived today. I am currently watching it as I type this.

Aww man. Maybe I shouldn't have been so cheap and used USPS shipping. :\
  • edited March 2008
    plus whatever he's doing at Pixar.
    Storyboard artist, apparently, according to the Pixar Short Film DVD.
  • edited March 2008
    Just noticed the new pictures on the product page: http://www.telltalegames.com/store/snmanimated-dvd
    Looks awesome.
  • edited March 2008
    It is awesome. It really is. Got mine in the mail today! :D
  • edited March 2008
    Got mine in the mail on Tuesday and wtched disc 1 on Wednesday. Was pleaseantlyu surprised listening to the old voices again wasn't as jarring as I thought it would be. A testament ot both sets of actors if you ask me. :)

also had a long post in here abouyt zeke's and lemming discussion but forum ate it. to sum up:

Bad example using anime series as to why they wouldn't get/acquire a new Sam and Max. for one thing anime series are out of their creative control and for most part influence. Seeing as the series is usually completed before they even get the rights to it and majority of the time has been completed to an definite conclusiuon. Not to mention by the time we get them they've already are involved w/ something else.

As for American Funded Big O season 2: it was a fluke really. Show's ep count was cut in half during production for seaon one and they opted for a cliffhanger ending rather than rushing the story in hopes the Japanese station would change their mind and pick up the rest. They never did. Then the AS brodcast came along and was a hit and Cartoon Network footed money for new eps. And the original creators were itching to finish their story. So they accepted. Season 2 started in Japan a full 3 years after the last ep of season 1 aired. And even then the second season met w/ middling ratings and DVDs sales on both fronts.

Sam and Max on the other hand, has noe definite ending and the story is technically still ongoing. And the creator of the property is obviously open to letting other people handle his characters as long as he's involved and they try not to be all censorship on them. And AS would be a good fit for both of those conditions.

Just need time and willingness from both parties.
  • edited March 2008
    backslash wrote: »
    I found it for US$14.14 from www.cduniverse.com (they ship worldwide too)

Damn. I ordered from there due to a lack of funds, but they're still "processing" the order...
    Combine that with the fact that I live in the UK, and I probably won't get it until they start shipping the Surfin' The Highway hardbacks.:(
  • edited March 2008
    I got my set from CDUniverse yesterday. The set is a lot sturdier than I was expecting, which is definitely a good thing. I watched the first two episodes last night and immediately recalled the hit & miss nature of the show. Sometimes they hit Sam & Max spot on and other times you can tell they're being reigned in.
  • edited March 2008
    I can't recommend Amazon Prime enough. 75 dollars a year gets you free two day shipping on most the items Amazon sells or you can pay 3.99 (or 5.99 for Saturday delivery) per item for next day.

That single move has killed every other etailer for me.

I never knew Big O season two was made because of the US market. Nice to see it deserves some credit. I feel AS would be the perfect home for a Sam and Max cartoon. It's already used to short comedies such as Aqua Teen, Sealab, etc and they are not as strict as Fox/regular CN/etc so they could get away with more stuff. In the special features Steve mentions fans being disappointed that the show wasn't as adult as the comics are. Adult Swim solves that.

Side note: I need to get The Big O season 2 box set.
  • edited March 2008
    I feel AS would be the perfect home for a Sam and Max cartoon. It's already used to short comedies such as Aqua Teen, Sealab, etc and they are not as strict as Fox/regular CN/etc so they could get away with more stuff. In the special features Steve mentions fans being disappointed that the show wasn't as adult as the comics are. Adult Swim solves that.

I agree. For some reason putting shows on Adult Swim makes them more adult. Although S&M was a standard Saturday-morning kid cartoon, I guarantee just watching it on AS would make it dirtier.

Odd how that works.
  • edited March 2008
    Well, my tracking still says "Status: Electronic Shipping Info Received". :\
    It was supposed to ship Monday, but it still doesn't seem to have actually gone out. I'm a bit disappointed in Amazon right now. Though I guess there is still the possibility that my package just hasn't been scanned yet, which, according to Amazon, may happen sometimes. The estimated delivery date is Monday, so if the tracking info still hasn't changed by Tuesday or Wednesday, I'll probably email Amazon. Right now I'll just give them the benefit of the doubt.
  • jmmjmm
    edited March 2008
    I pre-ordered a DVD from Amazon and got
    1. 3 emails with transaction problems (They screwed the transaction date changing it to 11/17!?) sent at 6:15 am, 6:45 am and then 7:25 am
    2. An out of stock/shipping delay email (even though I have pre-ordered 2 months ago)
    3. An apology email for the delay
    4. A shipping confirmation with an invalid tracking number

Excellent service... :|
  • edited March 2008
    Man I wish I ordered mine by express now. I HATE WAITING! Living overseas just makes the situation worse
  • edited March 2008
    I was at my local best buy and I couldn't find it. This was my first time looking, so maybe they sold out? Cinema One (A local store that specializes in DVD's) didn't have it either. I thought they would since they do have alot of stuff other places don't including other Shout factory DVDs.
    HMV didn't have it either and they also have a really big selection.
  • edited March 2008
    Well would you look at that. My DVD set should be arriving tomorrow or Tuesday and Amazon just dropped the price by $6. That's a 22% price drop, and it occurs right after my stuff ships. :(
    Anyway, the set is now available on Amazon.com for $20.99 for those who haven't ordered theirs yet.
  • edited March 2008
    dg10050 wrote: »
    Well would you look at that. My DVD set should be arriving tomorrow or Tuesday and Amazon just dropped the price by $6. That's a 22% price drop, and it occurs right after my stuff ships. :(
    Anyway, the set is now available on Amazon.com for $20.99 for those who haven't ordered theirs yet.

Email Amazon and they'll refund you the difference.
  • edited March 2008
    thelonepig wrote: »
    Email Amazon and they'll refund you the difference.

You sure? Even though it shipped before the price drop?
    Oh well, might as well try.

EDIT: Actually, I don't think I'm going to bother. If I got a rebate I wouldn't be eligible for super-saver shipping and they may charge me for shipping. Even though the free shipping has been the cause of this one week shipping delay. >_>
  • edited March 2008
    Amazon's policy is that if the price drops within 30 days of your purchase being shipped, you can get refunded the difference. It'd be worth it :)
  • edited March 2008
    Do you know if they would then charge me for shipping though?
  • edited March 2008
    Well haven't you paid for shipping already? Would you /still/ be eligible for the super-saver shipping with the new price? If so, they shouldn't charge you extra shipping. If not, then I guess it's something you'd have to ask.

Considering all my Amazon orders have to travel overseas (from UK or US, usually) I'm never eligible for any specials on shipping (and it is pretty damned expensive) so I tend to ignore those 'special offers'.

I'd love for amazon.au to exist, especially because pretty much all online bookstores in Australia suck. The bricks & mortar ones aren't too bad...
  • edited March 2008
    Molokov wrote: »
    I'd love for amazon.au to exist, especially because pretty much all online bookstores in Australia suck. The bricks & mortar ones aren't too bad...
    Same here. The UK has one, why not us? At least we have available options

If you need any books, buy it from the Book Depository. They're a UK based website that does free worldwide shipping
  • edited March 2008
    dg10050 wrote: »
    Do you know if they would then charge me for shipping though?

No, they won't. It's a pretty nice deal really. They are really efficient when it comes to refunds - more than I can say for their shipping.

I finished up the series last night and I have to say that it was extremely well done. Kudos to everyone at Shout Factory.

And as a side note, I really really want to see that S&M movie that Steve was talking about. C'mon Pixar! :D A whole planet of Lagomorphs!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.