TV series DVDs from Shout! Factory... Could it be? COULD IT BE?

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Did anybody else order it directly from Shout Factory? I am still waiting for mine. I used to get weekly reminders telling me it was still not in stock, but I haven't gotten anything from them lately. I never got any shipping confirmation either.
  • edited March 2008
    thelonepig wrote: »
    No, they won't. It's a pretty nice deal really. They are really efficient when it comes to refunds - more than I can say for their shipping.

I finished up the series last night and I have to say that it was extremely well done. Kudos to everyone at Shout Factory.

And as a side note, I really really want to see that S&M movie that Steve was talking about. C'mon Pixar! :D A whole planet of Lagomorphs!

I know what you mean about their shipping. I ordered some stuff a while ago and it took nearly 2 months to arrive. I wouldn't have minded if they hadn't been in stock and there was a damn warehouse for them about 20 miles away.:p

My DVD should be here sometime this week too.:D

And a Sam & Max movie would be awesome!
  • edited March 2008
    Just got my set. Very nice presentation. I'll definitely be watching though this over the weekend. Also, is "Art Slave" actually the name of the person who did the package design? ;)
  • edited March 2008
    Good or bad, any chance people would be interested and/or willing to put reviews up on Amazon? So far, there are two. One is positive, but not of the DVD itself and the other is very negative. Again, not of the DVD itself.

Any takers?

Brian
  • edited March 2008
    I noticed the crappy review too.
    I'll probably post a nice review tomorrow. Right now I don't really have time.
  • edited March 2008
    Did anybody else order it directly from Shout Factory? I am still waiting for mine. I used to get weekly reminders telling me it was still not in stock, but I haven't gotten anything from them lately. I never got any shipping confirmation either.

I ordered mine from Shout Factory and recieved it on the 11th. With no probs at all.
  • edited March 2008
    dg10050 wrote: »
    I noticed the crappy review too.
    i didn't at first, since it's only one line..
  • edited March 2008
    Anyone who is having problems with finding their copies in stores, please private message me. Your feedback will helps us out tremendously. Apparently, retailers were so unsure of Sam & Max, because it was such an underground hit and unknown cartoon, they ordered a very limited quantity. Your requests will help them understand it's in-demand. Those messages will be forwarded on to our sales department and they will be forwarded to our distributor, Vivendi, who will convince the retailers that the demand is, in fact, there.

Brian
  • edited March 2008
    I'll post an amazon review shortly..
  • edited March 2008
    Bward wrote: »
    Good or bad, any chance people would be interested and/or willing to put reviews up on Amazon? So far, there are two. One is positive, but not of the DVD itself and the other is very negative. Again, not of the DVD itself.

Any takers?

Brian

Added my $0.02. I noted it in the review, but I also wanted to let you know that I appreciate the fact that you took the time to put chapter stops throughout each episode. With Justice League Unlimited and a lot of other animated series, there is one stop at the beginning of each episode and it can get old fastforwarding through the opening credits during marathons.

My only complaint is the absence of subtitles.
  • edited March 2008
    Well, that's some strange string of bad luck. I got my DVD set in today, and when I opened it up, I didn't get the sticker badge. I got the incert that says what other products Shout! factory has, but no sign of the sticker. Oh well, I bought it for the cartoon anyway. :D

The first thing I watched was Fools Die on Fridays. Now I know why Gametap won't "air" this episode.
  • edited March 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    The first thing I watched was Fools Die on Fridays. Now I know why Gametap won't "air" this episode.

I still don't know why they wouldn't though. It's not like it's being aired on major networks. Just a gaming website. I can't see many people being "upset"
  • edited March 2008
    Zeek, check the inside of the slip case. Mine was virtually glued to the inside via static electricity, so it took a while for me to find it.

Brian
  • edited March 2008
    Found it! It wasn't attached to any of the slim cases, however, but somehow got lodged underneath the folding piece of cardboard that creates the beveled lip of the box's opening where the slim cases spines are shown. Can't seem to get to it either without risk of destroying the box.

Kind of odd. It's like the box was glued with the sticker in/on it instead of being a separate step thing. Kind of like finding a loose bolt that happen to fall into a can of cola.
  • edited March 2008
    Well, that's some strange string of bad luck. I got my DVD set in today, and when I opened it up, I didn't get the sticker badge. I got the incert that says what other products Shout! factory has, but no sign of the sticker. Oh well, I bought it for the cartoon anyway. :D

Why?
  • edited March 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    Why?

Plot overview: A terrorist has hijacked a commercial aircraft, and it's up to Sam & Max to stop him before he can crash it into a building in New York City.

When you actually watch the episode it's not quite as similar to 9/11 as it sounds, but I have to say it actually did make me cringe a little. And I'm really not uptight about that sort of thing.

(And the twin towers are indeed visible when the blimp is heading toward the city, though they aren't its target.)
  • edited March 2008
    To add to that, they say the word "terrorist" rather casually. Disney can't show a few episodes of Gargoyles because of the same reason. You'll also notice that word is now absent from Batman's vocabulary compared to when he was on in the 90's.
  • edited March 2008
    That's ridiculous to me. Yes, it could trigger bad memories for some people, but so could trillions of other things. The attacks were a tragedy, but to censor everything that could even possibly remind people of that day (except, of course, the actual footage, which the stations show every year) is ludicrous.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    The attacks were a tragedy, but to censor everything that could even possibly remind people of that day (except, of course, the actual footage, which the stations show every year) is ludicrous.

There's a difference between censoring something, and considering how people will react to it and making a business decision based on this consideration. Choosing not to air an episode due to its uncanny similarity to an actual incident that people feel strongly about is not censorship.
  • edited March 2008
    Dedlok wrote: »
    I ordered mine from Shout Factory and recieved it on the 11th. With no probs at all.

Same here except I got it on the 12th. :)
  • edited March 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    There's a difference between censoring something, and considering how people will react to it and making a business decision based on this consideration. Choosing not to air an episode due to its uncanny similarity to an actual incident that people feel strongly about is not censorship.

Having Sam not mention the comissioner having 17 dollar bottles of cashews or saying "Hell on Earth" would be a form of censorship. Thankfully, Sam says both, though I wonder why Sam can say Hell and Max has to say Heck.
  • edited March 2008
    Having Sam not mention the comissioner having 17 dollar bottles of cashews or saying "Hell on Earth" would be a form of censorship. Thankfully, Sam says both, though I wonder why Sam can say Hell and Max has to say Heck.

Some of those make me think that they were making a joke out of it a little. Most notably in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang when the Geek yells "Good GOSH!"
  • edited March 2008
    Possibly, but it certainly wasn't a slap in the face to the censors like the first episode of Samurai Pizza Cats where they got away with saying "orgy of destruction" and calling another character a facist on the air... and in all the reruns until the show was pulled from syndication due to poor ratings.
  • edited March 2008
    haha! samurai pizza cats I remember that show
  • edited March 2008
    Emily wrote: »

That's the very definition of censorship. But my point wasn't about that, that's an entirely different topic. What I'm saying is, the 9/11 attacks spawned a frenzy to remove anything that could even slightly be associated with terrorists or the towers. (Except, like I said before, the actual footage, which they trot out every year like a freak show for people to gawp at.)
    While the frenzy didn't work, the intent was still there, and that's what I find to be ridiculous.

I'm not trying to downplay the incident or anything. I remember spending that day in utter shock and fear. But to me, refusing to air something because of a resemblance to a sensitive subject is the same as plugging your fingers in your ears and singing loudly. It's unhealthy.
  • edited March 2008
    For what it's worth, the episode in question was rather funny, which is all that really matters.
  • edited March 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »
    I'm not trying to downplay the incident or anything. I remember spending that day in utter shock and fear. But to me, refusing to air something because of a resemblance to a sensitive subject is the same as plugging your fingers in your ears and singing loudly. It's unhealthy.

If that was all they did, maybe it'd be defensible (but I doubt it), the problem is that the networks do re-play the ACTUAL footage. So, which is worse? If the point is to not shock people, they'd be better off showing neither. And not showing things because certain people don't like them is (as you said) the essential definition of censorship.
  • edited March 2008
    ShaggE's right. There's a ridiculous amount of paranoia about showing anything that remotely resembles the 9/11 attacks. And selectively removing TV episodes from a lineup to cater to the *potential* of offense is most definitely a form of censorship, self-imposed at the very least.
  • edited March 2008
    MaxFan wrote: »
    If that was all they did, maybe it'd be defensible (but I doubt it), the problem is that the networks do re-play the ACTUAL footage. So, which is worse? If the point is to not shock people, they'd be better off showing neither. And not showing things because certain people don't like them is (as you said) the essential definition of censorship.

Exactly. we don't need to see pictures and footage of Auschwitz to know why it was so horrific, so why do we need to keep seeing that tape of 9/11 every year? Do we have annual airings of the Zapruder film? Why not just gather all of those notorious recordings and have "Atrocity Tuesdays" on CNN?

Sorry, I'm digressing. This is just a subject that hits a nerve with me.
  • edited March 2008
    ATMachine wrote: »
    ShaggE's right. There's a ridiculous amount of paranoia about showing anything that remotely resembles the 9/11 attacks. And selectively removing TV episodes from a lineup to cater to the *potential* of offense is most definitely a form of censorship, self-imposed at the very least.
    I'd have to agree. If I recall correctly, there's an episode of that old "101 Dalmations" cartoon that got pulled because they went to the Twin Towers.
  • edited March 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    I'd have to agree. If I recall correctly, there's an episode of that old "101 Dalmations" cartoon that got pulled because they went to the Twin Towers.

Same thing happened to The Simpsons. The episode where Homer has his car parked there and has to wait there until the ticket guy comes.
  • edited March 2008
    That's the very definition of censorship. But my point wasn't about that, that's an entirely different topic. What I'm saying is, the 9/11 attacks spawned a frenzy to remove anything that could even slightly be associated with terrorists or the towers. (Except, like I said before, the actual footage, which they trot out every year like a freak show for people to gawp at.)

You're right, except that this episode is remarkably similar to the events of 9/11, not just a fleeting reference to terrorists, hijacking, or the twin towers. It's all that combined. While I think it would be stupid for someone to be offended and say, "Hey! They're makin' fun of nine ee-leven!" it's a little bit harder to laugh at the episode now. It makes sense not to air it. It's not a punishment or something, it's just a matter of unforeseen circumstances. Like, if you had a really great joke about funerals, and you wanted to tell it to your friend, but then his grandfather died, you'd have to hold off on it for a while.

As long as the episode is available in its original form on DVD, all is well.
    We don't need to see pictures and footage of Auschwitz to know why it was so horrific
    Yes we do, and most of us have. I mean, do I have to see it more than once? No. But it should always be available to see so that future generations will know about it. No one's forcing you to watch the news on September 11th... In fact, it might be a good idea not to watch the news at all these days...
  • edited March 2008
    You're right, except that this episode is remarkably similar to the events of 9/11, not just a fleeting reference to terrorists, hijacking, or the twin towers. It's all that combined. While I think it would be stupid for someone to be offended and say, "Hey! They're makin' fun of nine ee-leven!" it's a little bit harder to laugh at the episode now. It makes sense not to air it. It's not a punishment or something, it's just a matter of unforeseen circumstances. Like, if you had a really great joke about funerals, and you wanted to tell it to your friend, but then his grandfather died, you'd have to hold off on it for a while.

If it's THAT similar, then yeah, I can see why they pulled it. I haven't seen it myself, so I didn't know how striking the resemblance was.

Yes we do, and most of us have. I mean, do I have to see it more than once? No. But it should always be available to see so that future generations will know about it. No one's forcing you to watch the news on September 11th... In fact, it might be a good idea not to watch the news at all these days...

I still have to disagree on this point. There are millions of books that detail events like these, and they are all one needs to know what happened. I've seen hundreds of deaths caught on film, in all manners of detail, and I noticed a disturbing thing: After awhile, I started feeling a clinical detachment to what I was seeing. And I didn't learn anything from the videos that I didn't know from reading about the events.
    There was only one difference in the two mediums for me, and it was that no apathy set in when reading, as opposed to watching, such things. And the last thing we need is a generation of people completely numb to tragedy.
  • edited March 2008

It's in its original form from what I've seen. I need to look at Dysfunction of the Gods again on Gametap, because I don't remember seeing that episode's opening of the Empire State Building being struck by lightning twice and then having the top fall off on Gametap.
  • edited March 2008
    Shout Factory is beginning to frustrate me a little bit. I am happy they released this, but I still have not received the copy I preordered. I emailed their customer service about it and never got a reply either. It wouldn't bother me as much if there customer service would at least acknowledge my concerns. I'm really hoping I get the DVD soon or a reply from my email to them. I am worried my copy is lost in the mail somewhere or my order slipped through the cracks somehow. I really wish I had not preordered it now and just waited to buy it elsewhere after it was released. <<sigh>>
  • edited March 2008

Dream Theater had a similar thing to. They were releasing a live album from New York and the artwork and variation of one of their symbols - the sacred heart (heart with barbed wire and flames) changed to a big apple with a few famous New York land marks in the flames, namely the Statue of Liberty and the World Trade Centre. The spooky part is that it's release date was 11th Spetember 2001. It was complete coincidence but it got pulled the same day out of respect.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for mine due to the damn bank holidays over Easter.:(
  • edited March 2008
    If it's THAT similar, then yeah, I can see why they pulled it. I haven't seen it myself, so I didn't know how striking the resemblance was.

Since you don't know me this isn't a particularly compelling argument, but I can say that I felt a little bit weird while watching the episode, and I don't really get all crazy and offended about this kind of stuff. I don't mind the twin towers still being in Spider-Man (reflected in his eyes), and I think it's a bit stupid that they've erased them out of the background of shows and stuff. But this was just a little spooky. It casts a weird shadow over the comedy.

And I think the key here is that the creators of the show didn't intend the similarity. They weren't trying to make any sort of point, but inadvertently it looks like they are, due to circumstances beyond their control. If they were making the show today I bet they wouldn't have made that episode. So really, to not air the episode is probably somewhat in line with the creators' wishes. I know that if I were in their position, I wouldn't want anyone to think I was parodying 9/11 unless I meant to do it. I would just want it to be available to those who wish to view it, and that's how it is here.
  • edited March 2008
    Akajackfrost, private message me with your email address. I'll make sure someone follows up ASAP.

Brian
  • edited March 2008
    And I think the key here is that the creators of the show didn't intend the similarity. They weren't trying to make any sort of point, but inadvertently it looks like they are, due to circumstances beyond their control.

Question: How can you not intend a similarity by producing something BEFORE any similarity could be derived from it?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    You could say that they had no intention of referencing 9/11. Would that wording make it more okay for you?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.