TV series DVDs from Shout! Factory... Could it be? COULD IT BE?

Comments

• edited November 2007
    Impressive!

Can't wait to see the slim case designs too!

I think that maybe the "Sam & Max" would look better in a different colour other than blue. Maybe a red?
  • edited November 2007
    I agree w/ Chri5. I usually associate red w/ the logo. Dunno why. lol And I think it would go better w/ the background.
  • edited November 2007
    I love the lighting on that..awesome!
  • edited November 2007
    I'm warming up to the blue.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2007
    That's awesome!
  • edited November 2007
    Huh, dominate yellow... I guess Steve felt the drawing was too busy or falling appart and went into his safe color. I'm digging the chrome finish on the "The Complete Series" text, as well as the type face. Classic.:D
  • edited November 2007
    I hope that the cover is.... how do you call it.... raised? I don't know the proper term
    edited November 2007
    Embossed, probably.
  • edited November 2007
    I like to run my fingers over it
    salad-fingers.jpg
  • edited November 2007
    Verrry nice... I see a few similarities to the old cover I did... Sam's arm does look almost exactly the same, as does the "Freelance Police"-line ;)

Nah, I love it!
  • edited November 2007
    Very classy, I love it!
  • edited November 2007
    xChri5x wrote: »
    I like to run my fingers over it

ooh, ooh...with glossy and not-to-glossy parts...more to feel..
  • edited November 2007
    with scratch and sniff technology?
  • edited November 2007
    nah...that stuff is gone after a year...
  • edited November 2007
    Very good indeed. Only thing I don't like is the font used for the 'The Complete Series' text.
  • edited November 2007
    Really? I really rather like the classic chrome look of that. I think it flows nicely with the Desoto right below it. Oh, well...

Brian
  • edited November 2007
    i totally like the font and the chrome look, but i think i understand what guybrush means or rather may be meaning. the sam&max title is flat whearas the complete series text looks quite different. it casts shadows and is almost three dimensional, probably because of the chrome effect, thus you could get the impression it somehow doesn't belong to the rest of the picture..

i would suggest either adding shadows to the sam&max title as well or removing them from the chrome text. at least the whole title should be on the same level..

..but you probaly had a reason for doing it the way you did and it still looks great.
  • edited November 2007
    it isn't likely that the dvd set will be available from telltale as well, is it? cause it would safe a hell of shipping costs for european customers when we could order it along with season 2 disc and surfin' the highway. is there any way to make that possible? please?
  • edited November 2007
    Out of retrospect, Steve has contacted us re: the "Complete Series" text and we may actually be making a change. Not confirmed, at this time.

Brian
  • edited November 2007
    I agree that the chrome text looks out of place with the rest of the cover. That said, its a very small issue, and overall the cover looks amazing!
  • edited November 2007
    Woah! Awesome!
  • edited November 2007
    I'll weigh in and say I like the Complete Series font/chrome combo. It perfectly captures the 50s Americana style.

Of course, I'm also one of the crazy outliers that thinks you should push even further in that direction and get a new image for the cover that totally plays up the at-the-drive-in-diner deco. Madness, I know, because the current art is phenomenal already.
  • edited November 2007
    I second that. That picture should be used on the INSIDE on the DVD cover somewhere. Hopefully the set is a foldout set. That leaves room for plenty of art. Hehe.

Yeah, make it a 50's americana cover. The chrome just doesn't work. BUT it suits the theme perfectly, so perfectly that I'd design the cover around it.

The current art IS phenomenal though.
    edited November 2007
    It's been said a few times that that will be the cover to the DVD, and that Steve has done two other paintings as well, for the two mini snapcases for discs 1 and 2, contained within the box.
  • edited November 2007
    right and i dearly hope there will not be to much changes, since it might delay the release date..;)

...the cover is great and i need those dvds for the long wait 'til the 11th of january.
  • edited November 2007
    50's americana theme? No thanks. That really doesn't scream Sam & Max.

I think the cover is great and can't wait to the the other stuff.
  • edited November 2007

Right, cause the DeSoto is from the future.
  • edited November 2007
    But this is a Sam & Max set, not a Desoto set
  • edited November 2007
    But this is a Sam & Max set, not a Desoto set

Yes, but point is that if they saw fit using a 50's style americana font as a referrence to the desoto on the dvd cover and the whole sam & max universe has a lot to do with americana in general, making something similar to surfin' the highway cover would be appropriate.

if you don't get it even now, don't even bother trying.
  • edited November 2007
    Thanks!
  • edited November 2007
    mish wrote: »
    if you don't get it even now, don't even bother trying.

Seriously... you need to stop trying to pick arguments by making quasi-personal attacks on people.
  • edited November 2007
    tabacco wrote: »
    Seriously... you need to stop trying to pick arguments by making quasi-personal attacks on people.

point taken.
  • edited November 2007
    It's official. There has been a last-minute change to the cover of the slipcase. We're also expecting to see the final, colored versions of the thinpaks as early as Friday. Can't wait!

Secondly, main menu designs for all three discs of the set have been sent to Nelvana for approval. Expecting things to go smoothly and I'd imagine we'd have our approvals by tomorrow. I'm honestly a big fan of the menu designs and I think you guys will be, too.

I'll drop in to give you updates, as soon as I have them!

Brian
  • edited November 2007
    Please, oh please let the menus be on the Geek's computer....
  • edited November 2007
    Huzzah! Can't wait to see the new stuff!

Question: any target date set yet? I won't hold you to it, but just curious at how close we are to having the set in-hand. :D
  • edited November 2007
    Can't wait to see them!

Still sad about Surfin' the Highway though... Maybe the show will be released around the same time as the book.
  • edited November 2007
    This is a moot argument, since the art's been finalized, but I content that, with enough satirical wit, any genre could be retrofitted to feel Sam&Max-y. It would, after all, be just the the thing one would expect of a franchise so rich in parody. So yes, a simple DeSoto would be odd, but having our pseudo-heroes surfing on top of said DeSoto? It just might work.

anyway, enough of that. Bring on the final proof sheet!
    Zeek wrote: »
    Please, oh please let the menus be on the Geek's computer....
    High Five for Geek love! There's just something magical about her. It's a mad genius something, but still...
  • edited November 2007
    Hey Brian what have you got left to do once you get those approvals from Nelvana?
  • edited November 2007
    Bward wrote: »
    It's official. There has been a last-minute change to the cover of the slipcase.

good thing you listened to me. it will prove to be of great benefit for you. you may add my name to the credits...

...you did listen to me, right? right?...hmm, probably not..sure...well...i just wanted to be part of something great...only once..:(

no, seriously..is it already possible to give a rough release date? of course nothing definite, but something like "first quarter of the next year, probably"?
  • edited November 2007
    Kinda sorta maybe in the realm of...I dunno...March. But, only maybe. Sorta.

As for the menus, I usually prefer to keep them under wraps in order to let the fans be surprised. I can arrange a viewing of stills, but I'm afraid it would lose something in the lack of animation. I will say that Geek lovers will be pleased. *hint-hint, nudge-nudge, wink-wink*

Once the menus are approved, I'll basically be in the waiting game while the DVD authoring house compiles everything together. Afterward, I'll send those discs to a QCer for a thorough investigation and to Nelvana for their approval. They've been pretty fast with those in the past, so I'm not expecting any problems. Once all of those things are done and approved, we'll make the DLTs and ship 'em off to the plant. So, basically, my next step is to sit down with the discs and watch 'em.

I love my job.

Brian
Sign in to comment in this discussion.