TV series DVDs from Shout! Factory... Could it be? COULD IT BE?

Comments

• edited September 2007
    I just got an updatre e-mail from tvshowsondvd.com about the set, not to much new new, but I figured people might want to read it
    Sam & Max...Ah, Sam & Max...

Seriously, this one has become my favorite. I was a huge fan of the comics and the video game before the series originally aired, so I'm making sure to take excellent care of this title.

Right now, we have a GREAT featurette with creator Steve Purcell that looks back at the history of the characters and the show. We also have a featurette featuring the gang from Telltale Games, the company responsible for the Sam & Max Season 1 episodic games on Gametap. If everything goes according to plan, we might have a little something extra from those guys, but nothing's official, yet.

We do have the three shorts that aired along with the episodes and have included an original short film that was written and co-directed by Purcell, as well, called Sam & Max: Our Bewildering Universe. If you're a fan of the characters, you may have seen this short before, but we thought it would be nice to include on the set for posterity.

We'll also have the usual gathering of artwork and we might even include the Series Bible, which was written by Purcell. All of these bonus materials are, of course, pending final approval by Nelvana. But regardless, I'm having so much fun with this set
  • edited September 2007
    YES! I'm so glad he's gonna put that flash short on! Cannot wait!
  • edited September 2007
    Silly Bob wrote: »
    I just got an updatre e-mail from tvshowsondvd.com about the set, not to much new new, but I figured people might want to read it

Oooh, including the series bible would be GODLY. I've always wanted to see what one looked like.
  • edited September 2007
    What exactly is the series bible?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2007
    Generally, something like this. I don't know what exists in terms of a show bible for the Sam & Max cartoon, but that's general gist of what one is.
  • edited September 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    Generally, something like this. I don't know what exists in terms of a show bible for the Sam & Max cartoon, but that's general gist of what one is.

I think I have a pretty good idea what's in the Sam & Max show bible.

"Run-on senetences with big words are nessicary. 10 points for using the thesaurus, and an extra 20 if it is possible to say said sentence on one breathe."

"When in doubt, blow it up!"

"Sam & Max must be falling and screaming for their life at least once per episode, especially if it is for no apparently reasons."

That seems to be the trend in the episodes I've noticed at least.
  • edited September 2007
    For the Canadians and Europeans in the crowd, we just secured the French language track for Sam & Max: Freelance Police!!! The Complete Series. Can't wait to hear what Max sounds like in French!

Brian
  • edited September 2007
    I hope the Canadian version doesn't have french all over the case. I hate that with a passion! Alot of our DVD's are like that and it's annoying (from an artistic point of view). I have nothing against french people or their language :P
  • edited September 2007
    The packaging will be identical to ours.

Brian
  • edited September 2007
    Bward wrote: »
    For the Canadians and Europeans in the crowd, we just secured the French language track for Sam & Max: Freelance Police!!! The Complete Series. Can't wait to hear what Max sounds like in French!

Brian

I wonder if there is a Spanish dub of the show. Some of those long-winded sentences must sound pretty interesting in a language where you have to congigate sentences by placing every adjective after every noun.:D
  • edited September 2007
    I may have spoken too soon on the French language track. I'm now being told they were mistaken... Ugh...

The good news, however, is that Steve Purcell has been officially contacted about illustrating the packaging. No word back from him, yet, but he is a very busy man. Hoping to hear from him shortly.

Brian
  • edited September 2007
    I may have spoken too soon on the French language track. I'm now being told they were mistaken... Ugh...

Aw, too bad. If you could get a clip of it as a bonus feature, that'd still be great, since most of us would just check it out once to see how it sounds.

On one of the Terminator 2 DVD editions, there's a pretty cool feature that just shows him saying "Stay here, I'll be back" in almost every language... it'd be funny to see the same short Sam & Max clip in a few different languages. Especially if the subtitles indicate how the joke changes from region to region. Just a thought.
  • edited September 2007

The good news, however, is that Steve Purcell has been officially contacted about illustrating the packaging. No word back from him, yet, but he is a very busy man. Hoping to hear from him shortly.

Brian

*fingers are crossed*
  • edited September 2007
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Aw, too bad. If you could get a clip of it as a bonus feature, that'd still be great, since most of us would just check it out once to see how it sounds.

On one of the Terminator 2 DVD editions, there's a pretty cool feature that just shows him saying "Stay here, I'll be back" in almost every language... it'd be funny to see the same short Sam & Max clip in a few different languages. Especially if the subtitles indicate how the joke changes from region to region. Just a thought.

There's something like that on the Futurama discs to. Mostly funny scenes with bender in a few different languages.
  • edited September 2007
    Or the Finding Nemo DVD where the seagulls say "Mine" in like 20 different languages.:D
  • edited September 2007
    Maybe if Steve doesn't have time to do some artwork, he'll have some lying around he could spruce up.
  • edited September 2007
    even if he isn't 100% satisfied with the series, what i think i read somewhere, it's still his stuff somehow. i mean having a cartoon series made after ones comic isn't quite bad, i'd say. so i really hope he will take the time to draw some art for the dvd-set.

i'm not to sad if there is no french version on the european version, since i will probably buy the us release anyway, even though i'm pretty european myself.
    having some voice examples in differrent languages would be quite funny on the other hand. i always wondered what "you crack me up" sounds like in swedish...
  • edited September 2007
    I'd love to include multiple languages, but Nelvana's saying they don't have any available to us.

As for Steve being "satisfied" with the series, when I interviewed him at Comic-Con, he couldn't have seemed more satisfied. He truly believes the characters are there and the series was pretty great. And it was. I love the series and I still find myself doing little things here and there everyday, just so I can work on it, despite the fact that I'm in something of a holding pattern, waiting for the packaging artwork and the menus to be fully designed.

Brian
  • edited September 2007
    I haven't seen any of the episodes, so this is going to be a fresh experience for me.
  • edited September 2007
    Guybrush, you're in for a treat!

Brian
  • edited September 2007
    It's toned down and has a Saturday Morning Cartoon feel, but it still captures the essence of Sam & Max. Some of the background art is reall good too
  • edited September 2007
    Toned down? Yes, but you'd be surprised what they got away with, mostly thanks to Max.
  • edited September 2007
    Not that much compared to other incarnations though
  • edited September 2007
    There's definitely humor there that wasn't written for children. In today's era of The Family Guy and Adult Swim, it's hard to look back on it in context. But there are a number of adult-oriented jokes. Personally, as a fan of all incarnations so far, I still think the series is awesome. I've even turned some people at my office onto the duo via the animated series.

Brian
  • edited September 2007
    I think Steve Purcell's episodes were great..steve whitehouse was another great writer.. the episode christmas, bloody christmas was brilliant! they got some great adult jokes in on that 1..like max in the prison showers with a certain sign on him :D:D:D:D:p
  • edited September 2007
    I don't know how that got past the censors yet some stupid stuff like "Max Inspecting a dirty matress" and other things listed in the sketchbooks didn't.
    Same with Max pulling his skin back revealing his skull, and having his head sawed open.
  • edited September 2007
    Probably because the censors are a lot more concerned with sex and anything remotely related to it than they are with gratuitous violence and such. Censors are nothing if not double-standarded.
  • edited September 2007

Gosh, I almost had an heart attack there... I watched the series in french back in the day. I would have loved to have the french track on the DVD. Oh, well.
  • edited September 2007
    Hi, Brian! Glad to see you on these forums. :D
    I would also be VERY happy if the toons were "region-free", since I live in Europe.
    Is there ANY way to confirm the mysterious existence of an Italian version of the series? I'm not hoping to have the track on the dvd, I just want to know if it EXISTS. There's one guy wandering in various Italian forums who claims to have seen some Italian-dubbed episodes on a satellite network of ours. Could you ask Nelvana about this?
    I hope the dvds won't be too expensive. ;)
    Will they come with subtitle-tracks? They're a great help for us foreigners.
  • edited September 2007
    xChri5x wrote: »
    I don't know how that got past the censors yet some stupid stuff like "Max Inspecting a dirty matress" and other things listed in the sketchbooks didn't.
    Same with Max pulling his skin back revealing his skull, and having his head sawed open.
    Harald B wrote: »
    Probably because the censors are a lot more concerned with sex and anything remotely related to it than they are with gratuitous violence and such. Censors are nothing if not double-standarded.

According to the Batman: The Animated Series and Disney's Gargoyles, Broadcast Standards and Practices (ironically known as BS & P :D) had people that understood context in the show during the 90s. Their cheif concern then was making sure nothing shown in the cartoons could be duplicated by children in real life. These days, because of how conservative uptight the general US viewing public is (what with things like Janet Jackson and even Columbine), BS & P seems to be getting rid of anything and everything remotely violent or sexual in most, if not all, cartoons.

In relation to Sam & Max, I would get BS & P were probably concern with things Sam does to Max given what's in the sketchbook moreso than adult joke. There was a line in the series where they visit the Greek Gods and Hera says flat out that Zeus has been having sex with all kinds of "nymphs, muses, and fairies." And yet, Sam makes sure Max has a crash helmet on when he chucks him into the parrallel dimension gate found in The Geek's Freezer. Frankly, I'm just wondering how they were able to talk their way out of the Little John episode, what with the idea of having an aligator as a domesticated pet and all.
  • edited September 2007
    Didn't they also always have seatbelts on whenever they were in a car or vehicle?
  • edited September 2007
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Didn't they also always have seatbelts on whenever they were in a car or vehicle?

Yeah, from what I remember. They cut out any chance of Max highway surfing.

Yet they turn Max into the most racest statue you can put in your lawn in the same episode where they take a cheap-pop at women from my home state. As well as set fire to various monuments in DC (which would explain Episode 4 a bit).
  • edited September 2007
    Great news, gang... Steve's on board. We'll have an exclusive package illustrated by the man himself.

Brian
  • edited September 2007
    Great news, gang... Steve's on board. We'll have an exclusive package illustrated by the man himself.

Brian

Good going. I can't wait to see what Steve whips up.
    edited September 2007
    That's awesome! I'm glad that all of these projects are bringing Steve out of hiding and coaxing him into producing more Sam & Max artwork.
  • edited September 2007
    I know I might get hit with a foam ball from a ball gun after saying this, but when can we expect the box art to be exposed?
    edited September 2007
    samnmax.jpg

ta da!

Final DVD cover art stolen from The Adventuress
  • edited September 2007
    Bless his heart
  • edited September 2007

Brian

awesome!!! :):):):):)
  • edited September 2007
    Steve needs to keep fresh with Sam & Max art anyways...
    Well, I guess he still has the webcomic he's hopefully working on too...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.