TV series DVDs from Shout! Factory... Could it be? COULD IT BE?

Comments

• edited August 2007
    How about any commercial spots to put on the DVD? I'm sure that FOX Kids had some commercials that weren't just footage of the cartoon but had Sam and Max doing something/promoting the cartoon.

The show wasn't really advertised much from what I remember. The only advertisement I remember seeing around that time was advertising that the show was coming out, and even then, all it had were clips of general Sam & Max wackiness.
  • edited August 2007
    I'd like to see a Production Artwork gallery. There is a guy on eBay selling copies of a 148 page production artwork booklet (with a hefty price tag). It would be really cool if this art was included for everyone to see, and it would put that eBayer out of business too!
  • edited August 2007
    As fans of the Sam & Max comics know, the episode entitled "Bad Day on the Moon" is based on the comic of the same name. A bonus featurette discussing the development of that episode would be interesting. One of those Storyboard-to-Screen sort of things.
  • edited August 2007
    The idea to have in-character commentaries is a good one. Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to nip it in the bud. For a couple of reasons.

For starters, it would be against the current union rules to have the voice actors do the voices without paying them at least the scale day rate for their "performances." This expense, on top of what it would cost to get the recording session in order, would be well above our budget constraints.

Secondly, if there are commentaries, I'd be much more excited about the prospect of someone like Steve Purcell alongside folks like Steve Whitehouse and Dan Smith.

As for a storyboard-to-screen-type comparison of comic vs. the episode... I don't think we'd be able to afford that, either, since we'd have to pay the publisher for the rights to "re-publish" the comic if only in digital form on the disc.

Can't wait to announce what we actually do have outside of the already known interviews. I think you guys'll be really happy. I'm certainly having a blast putting it together.

Brian
  • edited August 2007
    Any chance it'll be out by the end of the year?
  • edited August 2007
    Or at least before Black Friday?
  • edited August 2007
    No chance. We have it tentatively scheduled for a first-quarter '08 release, but I'm trying to have it bumped up slightly. Unfortunately, the deal was made too late to be released in time for the end of the year. So it'll have to be a Just-In-Time-To-Be-Slightly-Late-For-The-20th-Anniversary Edition. Just kidding. Although, I like the sound of that...

Hmmm...

Brian
  • edited August 2007
    *sigh* OH well, I've waited this long.

*trots off to update his Amazon Guide to Sam & Max*
  • edited August 2007
    Oh poo.

I really hope we get Surfin' the Highway in the meantime though. Jake? ;)
  • edited August 2007
    Wow, between this and releasing Freaks and Geeks, Home Movies, the Herb Alpert re-releases, the Nintendo and Sonic cartoons, and the upcoming Nick Danger box set, Shout! Factory has won my heart a thousand times over.

Even though I'd buy the Sam & Max box regardless, and I completely trust you guys to make the special features awesome, is there any chance of including more notes from the censors at Fox Kids like the sketchbooks had? I can see how that may not be possible, but you said you were looking for input so I thought it would be worth mentioning.

I also second the idea of including production art, as what I've seen in the sketchbooks have been really interesting. Just don't make the same mistake that Synch-Point--another of my favorite companies--made with Di Gi Charat and make the production art transparent on a weird background.
  • edited August 2007
    We've run into a bit of a problem with original concept art and the like...

The good folks at Nelvana and Corus Entertainment have come back to us saying they have NOTHING. That's right, I said it. NOTHING. Steve's looking through his collection of stuff, but we're not sure what he'll have in terms of art done specifically for the animated series. Still, we have our fingers crossed.

While this stuff would be great and easy to include on the set, our bonus materials don't rely on them as heavily as some of our other titles have in the past. But if anyone can point me toward this artwork elsewhere, like for example, the guy selling it on Ebay, it'd be a great help.

Thanks, guys!

Brian
  • edited August 2007
    The sketchbooks (Age of S&M and Effigy Mound) have sections of them featuring art from the cartoon. Mostly character and set designs, but I think the first sketchbook has three storyboard panels from one of them.
  • edited August 2007
    Bward wrote: »
    We've run into a bit of a problem with original concept art and the like...

The good folks at Nelvana and Corus Entertainment have come back to us saying they have NOTHING. That's right, I said it. NOTHING. Steve's looking through his collection of stuff, but we're not sure what he'll have in terms of art done specifically for the animated series. Still, we have our fingers crossed.

While this stuff would be great and easy to include on the set, our bonus materials don't rely on them as heavily as some of our other titles have in the past. But if anyone can point me toward this artwork elsewhere, like for example, the guy selling it on Ebay, it'd be a great help.

Thanks, guys!

Brian

Maybe this guy used to work for Nelvana when they made the show. Here's the auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sam-Max-Model-Sheets-Backgrounds-148-pgs_W0QQitemZ110136074428QQihZ001QQcategoryZ1532QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's worth a look at but I don't think there is much there for use.
    The two sketchbooks like previously stated also have alot of awesome concept art:
    sketchbook_productshot4.jpg
    sketchbook_productshot2.jpg
  • edited August 2007
    We've looked into the ebay auction. It doesn't help that he doesn't have a Buy Now option.

As for Steve's sketchbooks, we've approached him for content, but I don't like the idea of using the work he's had published. I don't want to make something that fans purchase from him at the conventions available as a "bonus feature" on the discs. I just don't feel right about it; as if I was taking money out of his pocket.

We'll see what we get.

Brian
  • edited August 2007
    We've looked into the ebay auction. It doesn't help that he doesn't have a Buy Now option.
    Are we looking at the same auction? The auction I'm looking at has a Buy it Now option at $25.16, with 5 purchases made already and 7 pieces left.
  • edited August 2007
    Harald B wrote: »
    Are we looking at the same auction? The auction I'm looking at has a Buy it Now option at $25.16, with 5 purchases made already and 7 pieces left.

yes it is the same item and 7 purchases now both have buy it now options
  • edited August 2007
    No, the one I saw did not have a Buy It Now. I'll check it out.

Brian

*EDIT: We've just purchased a set. Sad that we just bought on Ebay something we should've been able to get from Nelvana. But we have it. That is, we have it in theory until it's in our hands.
  • edited August 2007
    Brian I love your idea of having a commentary by Steve Purcell & Steve Whitehouse. As far as special features go a commentary would be the number 1 item I'd look forward too. Obviously you have budget constraints but it's the special features that are really gonna sell this set considering you can watch the episodes online. Fingers crossed you can make it happen.
  • edited August 2007
    Hero1 wrote: »
    Brian I love your idea of having a commentary by Steve Purcell & Steve Whitehouse. As far as special features go a commentary would be the number 1 item I'd look forward too. Obviously you have budget constraints but it's the special features that are really gonna sell this set considering you can watch the episodes online. Fingers crossed you can make it happen.

i dont mind the idea of only having a few extras (they would probably get stripped down if/when it is released in Europe hint) i would like a physical copy to add to my collection (possible similarities in layout to season one if possible would be good)
  • edited August 2007
    No chance. We have it tentatively scheduled for a first-quarter '08 release, but I'm trying to have it bumped up slightly. Unfortunately, the deal was made too late to be released in time for the end of the year. So it'll have to be a Just-In-Time-To-Be-Slightly-Late-For-The-20th-Anniversary Edition. Just kidding. Although, I like the sound of that...

Hmmm...

Brian

You should totally put that on the box art, Like if you look at The Tick Box Art (which I thought you guys did, but I guess you didn't, since I can't see it in the store) the Title is THe Tick Vs. Season One, I thought that was awesome. But Maybe say "Just-In-Time-To-Be-Slightly-Late-For-The-10th-Anniversary Edition" Considering ithe TV show is only about ten years old.
  • edited August 2007
    That wouldn't be too bad... I've recently got the new release of the "Spaceballs"-soundtrack, named "The 19th Anniversary Edition", so all is possible...
  • edited August 2007
    Call it the "30th Anniversary Edition" and design the package as if it's been sent backwards through time.
  • edited August 2007
    Quuux wrote: »
    There's nothing stopping them from releasing a region free NTSC disc :)

Yeah, region free would be nice for those of us in other parts of the world.
  • edited August 2007
    Yeah, region free would be nice for those of us in other parts of the world.

It could happen. Hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Brian
  • edited August 2007
    It could happen. Hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Brian

Are you trying to imply something with your hints, nudges and winks? ;)
  • edited August 2007
    I dont like that ebay seller.. he says he sells for his brother who worked on the cartoon and others like freakazoid. His brother also has alot more art of s&m he WONT share nor discuss. I personally have an awesome pic set from an unmade cartoon.. and I own the originals soo :P
    It shows max as GRANDCOOPER MAX.. this might be a nice sketch to use if done up.. Id love to see this redone with color on the back sleeve saying something like "Im old but Im still kickin!"

SMstoryboard3.jpg
    SMstoryboard1.jpg
    SMstoryboard2.jpg

Anyway I bought the set from him long ago.. that s&m and a freakazoid one.. pretty poor prints imo. But he states that in the description soo. Once you get the thing BWARD notice my arts are not in there... odd.. no? Yet this guy said he had my art even though I have the originals... again .. odd. So I smell something rotten in that(those) guys.

If it doesnt violate anything I can send you full page scans of these.. to anyone actually.
  • edited August 2007
    I remember Freakazoid. That was a good show.
    I miss Warner Bros. animation of the early-mid 90's.
    Disney had some pretty good shows around then, too...
    They really should put out Freakazoid on DVD...
    Kinda off-topic, but oh well.
  • edited August 2007
    If it doesnt violate anything I can send you full page scans of these.. to anyone actually.

You would be an absolute lifesaver! Please get in touch with me via private message and I'll give you the details.

Thanks!

Brian

BTW-- Freakazoid was announced a little while back as being released on DVD, but the production was postponed. Not sure what the hold up is, but I'm certainly familiar with these kinds of hold ups.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2007
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Well, as long as it's better then the VHS covers, lol. The first one they released wasn't that bad, but after that they seemed to just not care anymore.

I think the first VHS cover was an inked drawing by Steve which they colored for the case, but for the second and third tapes, they just blew up cels from the show.
  • edited August 2007
    Yeah, those are pretty horrible. We've been speaking with Steve about how to avoid releasing something that bad again. Believe me, I'm not only a fan of the show but of the characters in general, so it's important to me that this set looks right. After all, it is the complete series, so it's the only shot I'll get at this.

Brian
  • edited August 2007
    Until an HD release! jk.
  • edited August 2007
    I've actually seen some test footage of an older animated series that's getting the HD treatment. The up convert is surprisingly VERY nice. Sam & Max: Freelance Police!!! would be even better, because it's a later show and the colors are brilliant. An HD release wouldn't be a bad idea for this title, to be honest-- in terms of technically. Are there enough fans buying it to warrant an HD transfer and authoring? Doubtful.

But, I'd sure like to try!

Brian
  • edited August 2007
    i don't have anything that plays HD content and dont plan to get an hdtv or hddvd or bluray yet
  • edited August 2007
    Plasma HDTV's are waaaaaaaay better than LCDs. Not that has anything to do with anything. :P
  • edited August 2007
    I'm backwards. My monitor on this computer is HD, but the DVD player connected to it isn't. And anything HD or Blu-Ray as far as DVD players go is out of my budget at the moment, sooooo, yeah... Standard DVD formating please.:p
  • edited August 2007
    I would say, that a normal DVD-release would be sufficient at the moment. Maybe in a few years I would buy a HD-version, but I suggest not to delay the DVD if not necesary. I can't wait to get it..
  • edited August 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    I think the first VHS cover was an inked drawing by Steve which they colored for the case, but for the second and third tapes, they just blew up cels from the show.

Do you (or anybody else) have pictures of the covers? I'm finding it's surprisingly difficult to find a picture....that and I don't know what to look for.
  • edited August 2007
    411JH17TBQL._AA280_.jpg
    419R3YPNQYL._AA280_.jpg
    41WJE1NR3RL._AA280_.jpg

I own the first one!
  • edited August 2007
    Thanks, and yeah, I do see the difference.
  • edited September 2007
    Wow, those last two pictures are really bad!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.