TV series DVDs from Shout! Factory... Could it be? COULD IT BE?

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2007
    Don't show anyone the menus. If I've learned anything it's the true power of withholding info from Sam & Max fans. :)
  • edited November 2007
    Bward wrote: »
    *random words I don't care about* March *more words*
    March it is, great! Now don't you dare be late!
    Jake wrote: »
    If I've learned anything it's the true power of withholding info from Sam & Max fans. :)
    What are you talking about? :D
  • edited November 2007
    March! not bad at all
  • edited November 2007
    Yay! March! Just in time for my birthday! That means I can buy myself Spore, the complete Sonic SatAM, AND the complete Sam & Max DVDs!!:D
  • edited November 2007
    March!? I was hoping for January :( Oh well!
  • edited November 2007
    xChri5x wrote: »

they are beholden to a distributor and manufacturer remember! I was never expecting January..
  • edited November 2007
    Well, hopefully the more time spent, the better it will be.

Any word on that sticker and it's design?
    Maybe we can push for some Sam & Max mini's or a Desoto dinky car too? :P
  • edited November 2007
    Wouldn't that be funny if the sticker was a Hello Kitty version of Sam & Max?
  • edited November 2007
    Still waiting to see the colorized thinpaks. Expecting them by end of day or Monday morning.

The sticker's design is something very familiar to fans, but you'll have to wait until March to see it.

The menus have all been approved by Nelvana with the following quote:

"Hi Brian,
    The menus are fantastic!
    I can’t wait to see finished product."

So, we're heading into the compile stage right now, authoring the discs even as I type this. We should have test versions of all three discs by the end of next week or right after Thanksgiving.

And not that this would be of any use to you guys, since I'm assuming you've all already played it, but the awesome folks at Telltale have officially provided us with a playable demo (which can be unlocked for the complete game) of Ice Station Santa that will also be included on the set's bonus disc.

That exclusive "Hyperkinetic Bonus Disc" now officially includes...

A COMIC-CONversation With Steve Purcell!!!
    3 Animated Shorts Originally Seen on FOX Kids
    Sam & Max: Our Bewildering Universe - An original short written and co-directed by Steve Purcell
    Telling The Tale Of Telltale Games - A look at Telltale Games with co-founder Dan Connors, design director Dave Grossman and technical artist Daniel Herrera
    Sam & Max: Ice Station Santa Playable Demo by Telltale Games
    Original Series Bible by Steve Purcell
    Original Concept Art Gallery

Not bad, if I do say so myself. And I do. Hope you guys agree when you pick the box set up in '08. March-ish.

Brian
  • edited November 2007
    *drools with anticipation*
  • edited November 2007
    That's a lovely list of features. Can't wait! :D
  • edited November 2007
    Cannot wait!

Great way to spread the word on the games too!
  • edited November 2007
    That exclusive "Hyperkinetic Bonus Disc" now officially includes...

A COMIC-CONversation With Steve Purcell!!!
    3 Animated Shorts Originally Seen on FOX Kids
    Sam & Max: Our Bewildering Universe - An original short written and co-directed by Steve Purcell
    Telling The Tale Of Telltale Games - A look at Telltale Games with co-founder Dan Connors, design director Dave Grossman and technical artist Daniel Herrera
    Sam & Max: Ice Station Santa Playable Demo by Telltale Games
    Original Series Bible by Steve Purcell
    Original Concept Art Gallery
    Nice... buy a DVD box set, get a free game demo! More companies should try that tie-in.
  • edited November 2007
    Nice Features Sir!!
  • edited November 2007
    Question: is the Design Gallery going to be one of those "click the arrows and view at your own pace" kind or the god-awful "video of the pictures where the pace you look at the picture is dictated" kind?

I really, really REALLY hope for the former! :D
    edited November 2007
    Weird. I hate the "you click through yourself with the remote" kind. I always get bored with it after about 3 seconds, because DVDs generally suck horribly at quickly flipping through stills. I click "right arrow" or "chapter forward" to view the next still, the DVD spins up and goes wip wip wip for a second, the image gets horribly interlaced looking because it's apparently only displaying one field when changing stills, then the next still comes up and I have to wait a second or two before I can click "next" again. That's always annoying. The montage style makes sure that I see everything, and I can pause it if I really want.

After doing it montage style on the Season One disc and people complained, I guess I'm hugely in the minority with this particular preference, but to me it's extremely frustrating.
  • edited November 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    Weird. I hate the "you click through yourself with the remote" kind. I always get bored with it after about 3 seconds, because DVDs generally suck horribly at quickly flipping through stills. I click "right arrow" or "chapter forward" to view the next still, the DVD spins up and goes wip wip wip for a second, the image gets horribly interlaced looking because it's apparently only displaying one field when changing stills, then the next still comes up and I have to wait a second or two before I can click "next" again. That's always annoying. The montage style makes sure that I see everything, and I can pause it if I really want.

After doing it montage style on the Season One disc and people complained, I guess I'm hugely in the minority with this particular preference, but to me it's extremely frustrating.
    Actually, I use both those methods with my portfolio DVD. There's a really good reason for it too.

And you just said it. Some DVD players don't like the whole "advance at your own pace" thing because that just puts the DVD player to sleep, similar to when you pause a frame for a long time because the popcorn went through your system like the El Train.

So what I do is present an option in my porfolio of either doing a montage or a slide show. And if they want detailed hi-res images, that's why I make it duel compatible with the whole "burn files with DVD option."

God, I need an iMac. I can't do these things without one for long. :( Taking advantage of the school's hardware only lasts until I graduate.
  • edited November 2007

March!? I was hoping for November 20 2007. :mad: :D :confused:
  • edited November 2007
    Do you think you can make it like we can put the concept art and series bible on our computer, too? That would make it so much better for alot of people to look at them, but i dunno if you can do that so I was just asking.
  • edited November 2007
    pinwiz543 wrote: »
    Do you think you can make it like we can put the concept art and series bible on our computer, too? That would make it so much better for alot of people to look at them, but i dunno if you can do that so I was just asking.

There are some DVDs (mostly Disney ones) that have a flash launcher if you put them in your computer with exclusive "enhanced" content like that you can only see on your computer. You mean like that?
  • edited November 2007
    Zeek wrote: »
    There are some DVDs (mostly Disney ones) that have a flash launcher if you put them in your computer with exclusive "enhanced" content like that you can only see on your computer. You mean like that?
    And then there is the 'enhanced' Sam & Max: Season One DVD, which has both DVD-Video and PC content. ;)
  • edited November 2007
    Zeek wrote: »
    Nice... buy a DVD box set, get a free game demo! More companies should try that tie-in.

That should be a free free game demo.
  • edited November 2007
    Yea, sort of like that, but i was thinking more along the lines of downloadable content.
  • edited November 2007
    I must say, this sounds great. But for what regions will this be released ? If it is only in US region it will be useless to me here in the Netherlands. (if this has been asked or stated before, please be so kind as to give me a link)
  • edited November 2007
    You could always buy a region-free DVD player if it is only region 1. If you shop around you could probably find one pretty cheap.

BTW I am really looking forward to watching the episodes that aren't already on VHS on my TV. I saw most of them on Gametap (except the one that they chose not to put up), but there is a big difference watching them on a 3 inch window and watching them on an actual TV. I am so happy there is so much progress being made on this.
  • edited November 2007
    If it is only in US region it will be useless to me here in the Netherlands.

You're telling me you are going to wait even longer for the release of a region 2 version? I can't wait that long. There is always a way to view region 1 DVDs..
  • edited November 2007
    Surely it would be easier/cheaper to do larger batches of region free DVDs than to make several smaller batches of different regions?

I really do hope it's region free.
  • edited November 2007
    Thing is, Shout Factory probably only holds the liscence for a North American Release. Which means they can only release it in Region 1 encoding. If they are the only holder of the DVD rights for the entire world, they could do it Region 0, but if they aren't they'll have to to prevent stepping on the toes of any other exisisting or potential liscence holders.
  • edited November 2007
    Just received the final, colored art for the thinpaks. AWESOME. Now, we just need to add in the text and send it all off to Nelvana for approval. Fingers crossed, gang.

We've never really had any complaints from folks overseas with regards to our region encoding (*hint hint, nudge nudge, wink wink).

Brian
  • edited November 2007
    Hopefully you can show us soon! I was just watching some episodes the other day and there are some pretty funny lines in there that I never caught before.
  • edited November 2007
    man I wish this dvd would be loaded with extras.. paper trails are good to collectors :P bad to the makers I suppose. Cost being up :P
    I want something about how old they are! They have to be aged at least a little by now XD
    Anyway cant wait for the dvd
  • edited November 2007
    Kaldire wrote: »
    man I wish this dvd would be loaded with extras.. paper trails are good to collectors :P bad to the makers I suppose. Cost being up :P
    I want something about how old they are! They have to be aged at least a little by now XD
    Anyway cant wait for the dvd

I'm afraid you've lost me altogether. Based on the list I've given, I'd say it's pretty close to "loaded with extras," no? "Paper trails?" What are they? And why wouldn't they be cost-effective? And what do you mean "how old they are?" Sam & Max themselves?

Maybe I've eaten too much turkey over the break. I dunno.

Brian
    edited November 2007
    I think he means physical extras, "feelies" or whatever. I don't think he actually means a paper trail?
  • edited November 2007
    There is an exclusive sticker we're having made that'll be included within the set. Does that help?

Brian
    edited November 2007
    I think he'll settle for nothing less than a 200 page Art of Sam & Max limited run hardcover, an assortment of original signed animation cels, and a tuft of Steve Whitehouse's hair.
  • edited November 2007
    I'm gonna get right on that.

Brian
  • edited November 2007
    Hopefully you can show us soon! I was just watching some episodes the other day and there are some pretty funny lines in there that I never caught before.

"Do these pants make my arsenal look big?"
  • edited November 2007
    There is an exclusive sticker we're having made that'll be included within the set. Does that help?

Brian

That helps. Throw in some cheap 3-D glasses and I'm sold :cool:
  • edited November 2007
    Lol... I actually did mean paper trail.. a collection of evidence of the aging and historical facts of sam and max! and yes the sticker will do just nicely!...

Btw jake was right i just meant paper feelies like the sticker but in newspaper form.. i guess I sorta miss the adventurer. As for sam and max.. they themselves should be .. what dead by now? age wise... I think I was half tipsy and looking at my max with a beard art from the unmade show... anyway forgive the rambling, your dvd will be perfect and I will take 3 :P

And yes all those other things jake mentioned would rock too!
  • edited November 2007
    BTW-- Kaldire, after watching the episodes again the other day, I noticed that the "unmade show" storyboard you have is actually from Dysfunction of the Gods. It's on disc 1 of our set. Thought you'd like to know where the image came from.

Brian
Sign in to comment in this discussion.