Sam & Max Surfin the Highway - Now Shipping!

Comments

• edited June 2008
    I got my book! :D It smells minty fresh. I lub it. <3

I'm just disappointed that the animated series has no subtitles at all, seeing as I'm half deaf. Oh well. *turns the volume to Max*
  • edited June 2008
    Received my hardcover today! It looks amazing, well done!

Although, I am slightly disappointed that numbers are being sent out seemingly randomly. Considering that I placed my order within hours of the preorder going live, I thought for sure I would have gotten a smaller number than 457.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2008
    Yeah,we had hoped that wouldn't be the case, but given that the people who ship things out of the warehouse can rarely get the size of the box right, it was probably too much to expect. :( Fortunately the books are cool!
  • edited June 2008
    I didn't get anything today. :(
  • edited June 2008
    I really don't see it an issue about the numbers. It's not like lower numbered books are better than higher numbered ones. Maybe people think they'll have a higher resell value, but I'm sure none of you are planning on doing that now...
  • edited June 2008
    Or ever, as is my case. That's what I get for being a pack rat. My stuff won't ever go on sale again until I'm dead and my next-of-kin needs some extra cash for their questionable misdeeds.
  • edited June 2008
    I dunno, I've always tried to get the lowest number possible on my numbered goods, though I've never sold any of them. I guess somewhere in the back of my mind it just feels even more valuable when you get a lower number. My order was very early on as well and I'm not the least bit disappointed in getting 374.

On a side note, is it just me or does Mr. Purcell have a sort of Judge Doom thing going in that old timey picture in the back? :D
  • edited June 2008
    I confess, some of us did buy two just to have one to sell. I feel bad now :p
  • edited June 2008
    MaxFan wrote: »

You scumm!
  • edited June 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    Or ever, as is my case. That's what I get for being a pack rat. My stuff won't ever go on sale again until I'm dead and my next-of-kin needs some extra cash for their questionable misdeeds.
    ..but in that case it will probably just be thrown out with the rest of your stuff, because it's "just a comicbook". that's the worst part about collecting.
    MaxFan wrote: »
    what happened to the one-per-customer policy?:rolleyes:
  • edited June 2008
    People always go to me when I get a new collectable 'think of how much you could sell that for n a few years' but 'm like why would I want to sell it!?!?!
  • edited June 2008
    I've ordered two as well... one for me, one for my brother (his birthday is in August, so here's hoping for a "fast" shipping... not that I expect it).

Regarding numbers, I feel it's better to have bigger number on it, so that you can say, you've got more of Steve Purcell's ink on it ;) I guess it should contain a lot of 8s, as it probably has the longest stroke of all numerals. So, 1888 for me please!
  • edited June 2008
    I wonder if he messed any up. After signing do many, I'm sure there is a slip up or two.
    Personally I think it would be awesome if there was a coffee ring stain on the inside, lol.
  • edited June 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Personally I think it would be awesome if there was a coffee ring stain on the inside, lol.
    I'm sure you manage to do that yourself... ;)
  • edited June 2008
    It'll up the value ten fold!
  • edited June 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    ..but in that case it will probably just be thrown out with the rest of your stuff, because it's "just a comicbook". that's the worst part about collecting.
    Not in my family. Hell, we own the original vynal record of Disney's Snow White soundtrack from the 1940s, as well as an EP vynal record titled The Best of The Doors. Both are still in playable condition despite the fact the record player broke down on us 14 years ago when we moved. :( Those machines really don't like travelling cross country after 50+ years of use.
  • edited June 2008
    Both are still in playable condition despite the fact the record player broke down on us 14 years ago when we moved.
    despite? more probably "because"...not being played most likely saved those things.
    ...like with the htr hardcover. it's just for display and feeling good, 'cause you have one. the softcover is for reading.
  • edited June 2008
    Not in my family. Hell, we own the original vynal record of Disney's Snow White soundtrack from the 1940s,

So want.

As for the coffee stain, I'm hopinig for bits of corn dog in mine. In case I get hungry when readng my book of course.
  • edited June 2008
    *taps feet here in jolly old England*
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2008
    Book owners are encouraged to add their own aging accouterments.
  • edited June 2008
    And I'm encouraged to steal your avatar, Jake. :p
  • edited June 2008
    Just got my book along with the Effigy Mound. The Effigy Mound is a bit bent around the edges unfortunately, but meh. I ended up getting the number 911. If I ever forget what number to call during an emergency, I can always look at my copy of Surfin' the Highway. I'm sure this book will save my life at least once. ;)
    Of course the alternative significance to this number would mean that this book is actually a bomb. I'll hold off on removing the shrink wrap for a bit just in case.

P.S.: Today, when I was driving by the Turner office in Atlanta, I happened to notice that they were playing an ad for Sam and Max (well, technically Gametap) on the electronic billboard that they have.
  • edited June 2008
    I got mine about five minutes ago after explaining to the nice Home Security Salesman that there's a "No soliciting" sign in our neighborhood and I was going to call the cops on him.

Got number 446. :D
  • edited June 2008
    Just opened it. What a nice new-book smell.
    Just looking through the full-color artworks in the back. Very nice. My $50 was well spent. :)
  • edited June 2008
    *taps feet here in jolly old England*

I wouldn't exactly call here 'jolly'.
    And I'm encouraged to steal your avatar, Jake. :p

I am already hatching my evil plan.
    dg10050 wrote: »
    Just got my book along with the Effigy Mound. The Effigy Mound is a bit bent around the edges unfortunately, but meh. I ended up getting the number 911. If I ever forget what number to call during an emergency, I can always look at my copy of Surfin' the Highway. I'm sure this book will save my life at least once. ;)
    Of course the alternative significance to this number would mean that this book is actually a bomb. I'll hold off on removing the shrink wrap for a bit just in case.

P.S.: Today, when I was driving by the Turner office in Atlanta, I happened to notice that they were playing an ad for Sam and Max (well, technically Gametap) on the electronic billboard that they have.

Damn you! I want number 911!! It's the name of my fave boy band!
  • edited June 2008
    Just thought I'd mention, I really like the heavier stock that you guys decided to use. This does mean that I', going to have a harder time avoiding creasing the pages though. :p
  • edited June 2008
    Got mine yesterday. Number 466. :D
  • edited June 2008
    Dedlok wrote: »
    Got mine yesterday. Number 466. :D

Wow, I'm 20 books before yours, and you got it before I did!
  • edited June 2008
    Well I just got my copy of the book and I must say I'm a bit unhappy. The quality is not what I was hoping for. Its still in the plastic so I can't even comment on the interior but the printing on the spine it total rubbish. It's beyond crooked with the "S" in Sam touching the very front edge of the spine. Additionally, the "M" in Sam is only partially foiled with only the last part of the M getting any foil. I can accept this kind of quality on a 10-20 dollar item, but this should have been caught by QC when dealing with a limited edition 50 dollar book.

Now I have to decide if I want to send it back or not.

Here's a picture of the book:
  • edited June 2008
    Wow, it looks thicker than I originally thought. Can't wait!
  • edited June 2008
    Slothboy wrote: »
    Now I have to decide if I want to send it back or not.

My spine text is noticeably off-centered, but nothing to complain about. Your spine, on the other hand, looks horrible. I would certainly not be too happy with that one!
  • edited June 2008
    on even another hand...it might become a valuable collectible, like those stamps with wrong lettering or something.
  • edited June 2008
    i finally decided to get the limited edition too after the paperback, ordered now.
  • edited June 2008
    *jumps up and down* curse being on the other side of the atlantic.. I demand my books! heh.

What do you other brits think? 3 weeks? that sound reasonable? I've had stuff from canada take 7 days but they seem to have a more speedy postal service, what's up with that? curse those canadians and their efficiency.

Hey man, crooked spine stuff just adds to the charm... or something. I have AD&D books where the inner papers are too big for the cover! it's really really funny. There's also one of the books that's renowned for spine explosions, I don't own it but apparently every copy seems to just spontantiously explode in a shower of paper when you try to read it.. hahahaah.. ahhh TSR, how we miss you and your shoddy print runs.
  • edited June 2008
    patters wrote: »
    i finally decided to get the limited edition too after the paperback, ordered now.

At least I'm not the only weak one
  • edited June 2008
    Dear God I hope it's not 3 weeks.

I've had stuff from America come in less than a week, but that was Ebay.
  • edited June 2008
    Harley> let's take bets! lets see... I anticipate it'll arrive before D&D 4th ed (currently estimated early to mid July) and after Alone in the dark (end of the month) soooo.... maybe it'll show up in time for my birthday, that'd be awesome. If it's 3 weeks then that'll probably be then hahaha.
  • edited June 2008
    *jumps up and down* curse being on the other side of the atlantic.. I demand my books! heh.

What do you other brits think? 3 weeks? that sound reasonable? I've had stuff from canada take 7 days but they seem to have a more speedy postal service, what's up with that? curse those canadians and their efficiency.

Hey man, crooked spine stuff just adds to the charm... or something. I have AD&D books where the inner papers are too big for the cover! it's really really funny. There's also one of the books that's renowned for spine explosions, I don't own it but apparently every copy seems to just spontantiously explode in a shower of paper when you try to read it.. hahahaah.. ahhh TSR, how we miss you and your shoddy print runs.

the paperback took just over a month for me in the south east
  • edited June 2008
    I'm up north, maybe that's why it takes so long.. damn you southerners hogging all the stuffs! ahem

Lets see, it shipped on the 13th.. so I predict it'll be in my grubby mits but... July... yeah. Nice to see i'm that optimistic aye?
  • edited June 2008
    Harley> let's take bets! lets see... I anticipate it'll arrive before D&D 4th ed (currently estimated early to mid July) and after Alone in the dark (end of the month) soooo.... maybe it'll show up in time for my birthday, that'd be awesome. If it's 3 weeks then that'll probably be then hahaha.

alone in the dark is friday. unless you are ps3 then its september, and i know you are wii
Sign in to comment in this discussion.