Sam & Max Surfin the Highway - Now Shipping!

Comments

• edited June 2008
    Hi folks. Got some possible bad news for other UK S&M fans I'm afraid (...) I'm going to be tonked on Customs charges a freakin' great £16.07. Bit disappointed as I've bought loads of books from the US before and not been hit with a charge like this (...) there shouldn't be any Customs charges

The deal with customs is: They should charge you for every purchase made outside of Europe. They not always do. Sometimes you can get lucky and get away with it, since they can't be bothered with every single package.

The rule is: They charge you by what you paid for the merchandise. If the value / price is NOT specified, you won't be charged. You could skip the custom fees alltogether if those who sent the package wouldn't price tag it. Dadly, they do.

Telltale, if you really have to put the price on the package, write it by hand and make it unreadable, ok? ;] For us, europeans. I paid $23 in fees for Sufrin' the Highway.
  • edited June 2008
    If the value / price is NOT specified, you won't be charged.
    Or they hold the package until you send them a receipt. Doesn't happen every time, but it happens.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2008
    Morden wrote: »
    Telltale, if you really have to put the price on the package, write it by hand and make it unreadable, ok? ;] For us, europeans. I paid $23 in fees for Sufrin' the Highway.

We don't hand ship this out ourselves, sorry. :( It goes out of a warehouse which we have very little control over. We're working to make this a better experience, but right now it's a bit lame. Sorry!
  • edited June 2008
    This thread has an overwhelming sense of "U.K. imports hate you" in it.
  • edited June 2008
    I don't live in the UK and the customs got me anyway. As long as you live in Europe and buy from the US you technically SHOULD pay the fees.
  • edited June 2008
    Just recieved my grey card today... 16 quid fee... it irritates me a lot actually given books are >EiTHER 0% or 17.5% according to HM revenue customs. What the hell? what's the difference and why are some charged but others not? i'll let you know if it's marked software.

Oh well, such is the way of things. I'm gonna have me a bath then wander down tot he post office. I HATE that I have to go pay in person, it's so inconvienient.
  • edited June 2008
    i received this fine piece of printery today and must say it's quite marvelous.
    shipping took two weeks, that's okay, i'd say. i was a bit disappointed with the packaging...nothing got damaged, but it easily could have. the (quite heavy) book was inside a way bigger box and had just some crumpled paper on top of it..it was slipping around in the box like there's no tomorrow. but nothing happened, so i guess it's fine with me.
    Morden wrote: »
    they did that last year when i ordered the season one dvd. all customs declaration sticker were handwritten and kind of hard to read...and from what i remember back then, a lot of shipments got opened by customs, 'cause they didn't know if and what to charge, and thus the packaged got delayed. on the other hand the value on my recent package it also handwritten and only a strange symbol...could be a 52, but i could also be...a strange dwarven rune or something.

p.s.: i wasn't charged anything..luckily. btw, i read that the amount you are allowed to import "for free" will be raised to 150€ at the end of this year. at least in germany, but someone told me that this might be the same for the whole european union. let's hope so..
  • edited June 2008
    I'm going to pick mine up later. :D £12.45 for customs charge, so I don't know why it's different from everyone else. :S
  • edited June 2008
    Mine was 7.83 vat and an 8 quid "handling fee" which pisses me off. I don't mind paying VAT but HOW is them putting a box on a shelf and leaving it there worth 8 quid?

Oddly, I also noticed the convoluted route the book came via. It's got a sticker from somewhere in the US and then the bit that got me, it went through Germany!? What on earth? I thought that was a little odd, i've never seen a package come by such an arbatrary route heh.

The books are wonderful! the paper back is cool but good god the hard back is gorgeous! the paper! OH GOD the paper. It's so thick and fantastic feeling.
    Oh, and for the record, I got 1035 which i'm pretty happy with.
  • edited June 2008
    Oddly, I also noticed the convoluted route the book came via. It's got a sticker from somewhere in the US and then the bit that got me, it went through Germany!? What on earth?
    you didn't know? we inspect all shippings that go to the uk first. i convinced them that the book is awesome...and that you're cool. so, they let it pass.

anyway, that 8 pound customs fee is horrible. one or two would be fine, there are probably a few forms to stamp. 8 however seems way to high..
  • edited June 2008
    I think it's one thing having a charge but the amount they are putting on is ridiculously expensive, esp. for the crap service we get.
  • edited June 2008
    Damn, I was hoping mine would come today, but obviously not. Probably because I ordered some other stuff with it.
  • edited June 2008
    Wisp> heheh. Germany, the center of the postal universe.
  • edited June 2008
    Wisp> heheh. Germany, the center of the postal universe.

So that's why it sucks.

Kidding Germans!
  • edited June 2008
    Got mine today as well, its awesome. Customs charges were not awesome lol. £12.45 for me too. Its rediculous, thats half the price of the book itself!
  • edited June 2008
    I also got the grey card today (it's worse than the blue screen of death) with a nice £17 charge. I just picked up my goodies - I ordered the Sam & Max DVD, along with other books - about an hour ago and I got number 1128. This number is important to me because 1+1+2+8=12, and I was 12 years old once.

I like the quality of the paper, very nice stuff. I've never read anything in there before, so I look forward to it. :)
  • edited June 2008
    I was 12 years old once.

I bet you still are mentally.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2008
    As mentioned here - if you are hit with customs charges, please verify with the customs officials why you are being charged. If it's because VAT is required to import books into your country, or on all packages above a certain value, etc., then there's really nothing we can do about it. But if it's because the customs form was filled out incorrectly, we can rectify that for you. In that case, please send an email to support@telltalegames.com and explain the situation. (Hold onto the customs paperwork you received, as we may need to see a picture of it.)
  • JaiJai
    edited June 2008
    Good times, got my book today - #236. Looks awesome, great job!
  • edited July 2008
    I got it yesterday and it looks & feels fantastic! It's everything I could've hoped for. I'll be reading about 75% of these comics for the first time. It's great to see the Adventurer comics in there also, plus paintings up until as recent as the TV series DVD cover art.

No webcomic, of course, but I guess that's not considered a finished product yet, judging by the brief comment in the foreword.
  • edited July 2008
    Got mine as well! (no. 570)

No customs fee, which I actually expected since it's a book and here in the Netherlands we do not have to pay (import) taxes for books.

--Erwin
  • This hardbound edition is more enticing than the pressing waft of an expired box of Glazed McGuffins on a warm summer day!
    I was so compelled to feel the thrill of its ownership that I stuck up a supermarket and and used my ill gotten gains to order my copy a few days ago,along with a couple of posters and an Elvis decanter with a hole in the neck.
    Now all I have to do lay and wait for the postman to bring it to me!
    Hope it comes soon,I've been sitting awake in the DeSoto for 4 days now!
    Thankfully Max left enough sugary snack foods to keep me going strong.
    Hopefully those shellaced novelty alligators I won on ebay will come soon too!
    I wanna have my place all spruced up and classy for when guests arrive!
  • edited July 2008
    25 days since shipping and still not even the dreaded grey card here in London. I may week openly :(
  • edited July 2008
    I thought it may be more appropriate to weep openly.
  • edited July 2008
    Ahem... I was weeping so openly I couldn't see the keys :(
  • edited July 2008
    neilka wrote: »
    Ahem... I was weeping so openly I couldn't see the keys :(

it will come, my paperback copy took over a month
  • edited July 2008
    patters wrote: »
    i will come...

Lord?
  • edited July 2008
    Lord?

typo, fixed now, haha.
  • edited July 2008
    does this thread have the curse of the typos or something?
  • edited July 2008
    does this thread have the curse of the typos or something?

no i do though
  • edited July 2008
    Got the dreaded grey card today, gonna have to fork out £12 something. Bastards. Won't be able to pick it up til at least Sat either! Well at least it's 'here'
  • edited July 2008
    Well at least it's 'here'
    that's the spirit...;)
  • edited July 2008
    £12.46 for me, i should collect it in about an hour
    edited July 2008
    If you're being charged because your customs form incorrectly says "software" instead of "book", don't forget to email us at support@telltalegames.com and let us know. Thanks!
  • edited July 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    If you're being charged because your customs form incorrectly says "software" instead of "book", don't forget to email us at support@telltalegames.com and let us know. Thanks!

I'd like to thank you guys for dealing with this so well, 99% of other companies wouldn't bother to fix a problem like this as well as you guys have. Telltale has guaranteed my purchase for any cool Sam n Max stuff that comes out in the future.
  • edited July 2008
    I'm getting a little bit worried here, as by next week my order is gonna be on its way for 3 full months... 3 MONTHS!! That's the quarter of a YEAR!!!
    edited July 2008
    I'd like to thank you guys for dealing with this so well, 99% of other companies wouldn't bother to fix a problem like this as well as you guys have.

You're welcome! :D
    I'm getting a little bit worried here, as by next week my order is gonna be on its way for 3 full months... 3 MONTHS!! That's the quarter of a YEAR!!!

How do you figure that? The very first hardcover shipments went out on June 12, and today is July 16. (That's still a long wait, but European shipments have been known to take this long before...)
  • edited July 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    How do you figure that? The very first hardcover shipments went out on June 12, and today is July 16. (That's still a long wait, but European shipments have been known to take this long before...)
    Shame on me... I've confused the shipping date with my order date... :o It just feels so long now :(

P.S.
    I'm stupid :cool:
  • edited July 2008
    I got mine the other day.. I got the hardcover one.. 4 of them.. don't be mad :eek:

I'd like to say, though.. the book is FANTASTIC!! It's beautiful! I love how Telltale is releasing all this stuff, this book, the animated series.. the franchise couldn't have fallen into better hands!
  • Jake wrote: »
    There's a tough balance to strike between making something affordable and consumable, and making something special and unique. We erred on the side of special and unique, given that we're already producing an extremely affordable (and awesome) paperback version.

I think you guys made the right choice...I got my L/E signed hardback and its beautiful!
    its always cool to have something special and unique...like that two headed stuffed alligator I bought from that nice witch doctor in florida!

I wish they would have included that photo of Steve Purcell with his pet 'gators though! but I guess you cant have everything...unless you resort to violence of course!,,,people really seem to respond to that!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.