Sam & Max Surfin the Highway - Now Shipping!

1111213141517»

Comments

• Emily wrote: »
    Also there's a new highway surfing print available. :)

I love that print! I bought it and the street scene one,though I must admit I was disappointed to see the DeSoto was butchered and turned into a lead sled with a chopped roof and pinstriping...Sam would never have allowed that desecration to his DeSoto.

While I understand the motive (somewhat) behind making the car a convertible for the games so you can see Sam & Max...I really wish you would stay true to the comics which are the sole reason for Sam & Max's fan base...as well as the reason the game exists.

I hope Steve Purcell will make the DeSoto a Hardtop again and make some more great posters and shirts.
    Some Sam & Max decals for my car would be great too!
  • edited July 2008
    I love that print! I bought it and the street scene one,though I must admit I was disappointed to see the DeSoto was butchered and turned into a lead sled with a chopped roof and pinstriping...Sam would never have allowed that desecration to his DeSoto.

While I understand the motive (somewhat) behind making the car a convertible for the games so you can see Sam & Max...I really wish you would stay true to the comics which are the sole reason for Sam & Max's fan base...as well as the reason the game exists.

I hope Steve Purcell will make the DeSoto a Hardtop again and make some more great posters and shirts.
    Some Sam & Max decals for my car would be great too!

Actually, it was Steve's idea to redesign the Desoto. He did a rough sketch of the new design and they used it. He said it was his favorite thing about the new games.
  • edited July 2008
    also, they didn't "butcher" the old desoto, it is simply is a new one. okay, the old probably still got butchered..
  • tobar wrote: »
    Actually, it was Steve's idea to redesign the Desoto. He did a rough sketch of the new design and they used it. He said it was his favorite thing about the new games.

I'm shocked he would have done that,I really love the original stock appearance of the DeSoto in the comics and tv show.
    I have a real 1960 Adventurer 2 door hardtop and that car is a work of art as it is from the factory,it has very elegant flowing clean lines that convey motion even when standing still.Chrysler called it "the forward look"
    In my opinion lowering it and chopping the top and adding pipes and pinstripes destroys the impact of that cars design.
    Steve Purcell is a brilliant artist,but the new DeSoto in my opinion looks cheesy. I dont like the rat-rod look with the JcWhitney chrome pipes down the side and the obligatory pin striping..its too cliched...God forbid if Sam starts wearing baggy pants & Max gets tattoos and a nose ring next! (ooh...the horror!)
    I have been a fan since the original comic on Fishwrap came out..I have all the books put out..(except the effigy mound)...I hope Steve Purcell doesnt continue to update (redesign) Sam & Max.

Steve..if you're out there...PLEASE "restore" the DeSoto!
  • wisp wrote: »
    also, they didn't "butcher" the old desoto, it is simply is a new one. okay, the old probably still got butchered..

HaHa!
    Well.... it is a cartoon after all, so thankfully NO real DeSotos were harmed in the making.
    But the old DeSoto kicked butt.
    But I'll play along...Sam has the original parked somewhere in the garage and just bought this customized one to drive in the games! LoL
  • edited July 2008
    not quite...somewhere in the games they talk about it, that the current desoto is a new one and the other one is gone for good...but, you're right. it doesn't really matter, what happened, since it all just fictional anyway.
  • edited July 2008
    Dude, it's just a freaking car.. my goodness.

Isn't the new one based on a different model anyway?
  • Dude, it's just a freaking car.. my goodness.

Isn't the new one based on a different model anyway?

Calm down! nobodys threatening to go on a rampage with a rusty garden weasel here!

This forum is for Sam & Max fans to express their opinions..all I said is that I think the new DeSoto is cheesy looking and I prefer the original in the comics.
    Thats all.

You dont have to give a damn about it if your attitude is that "its just a car"

Its all just fictional anyway.

I suppose there are folks out there who might actually like the "new" Get Smart over the original as well...(shudder)..R.I.P. Don Adams)..but there are many others who were fans of the original series that dont like to see things arbitrarily changed.

NBC found that out when they made that new Knight Rider tv movie and they changed Kitt from a Trans am into a Mustang...Knight Rider fans were livid.

Its always a bad sign when original characters are revamped needlessly.
    yes,the DeSoto is just a car (and a fictional cartoon one at that) but it figures prominently in their adventures and is an integral part of the story a lot of times and I flat out like the original best...it looked like a vintage cop car..not a lowrider...end of story.....thats my personal opinion.

And no the new car is still a 1960 DeSoto...its just heavily customized now!
  • edited July 2008
    And no the new car is still a 1960 DeSoto...its just heavily customized now!
    With a muscle car engine, flaming paint job, roll bar with police siren lights, and a grill that is similar in design to those found on big rigs on I-40.

Oh, and a hula doll on the dash! :D
  • edited July 2008
    Thing is, I can see them giving their car a muscle engine just because then it goes faster, louder and can run over more motorcyclists lol. Though being so low you'd have a much bumpier ride, here's hoping they upped the suspension as well.. mwhahahaha.
    Ahem

We can't forget the hula doll! it's essential!
  • edited July 2008
    I suppose there are folks out there who might actually like the "new" Get Smart over the original as well...(shudder)..R.I.P. Don Adams)..but there are many others who were fans of the original series that dont like to see things arbitrarily changed.

NBC found that out when they made that new Knight Rider tv movie and they changed Kitt from a Trans am into a Mustang...Knight Rider fans were livid.

Its always a bad sign when original characters are revamped needlessly.

While I don't like the new Get Smart movie over the original series(Don Adams is the best). The movie was not meant to replace the series, it was an homage to it. Don't you much prefer it that the franchise is left with a well done film like that and not....well....Andy Dick?

I do agree with you on Kitt though.
  • edited July 2008
    You know, the original series is released on dvd soon.. ooo I so want it. I grew up with get smart! Which actually makes me sound a lot older than I am.. lol. Good old kiwi tv rehashing old 60's sitcoms.
  • edited August 2008
    Also something for non-US customers to be aware of is that you may be charged import taxes when the package arrives in your country.

wbdigi wrote: »
    Also something for non-US customers to be aware of is that you may be charged import taxes when the package arrives in your country.

spam, spam spam,
  • edited August 2008
    You know, the original series is released on dvd soon.. ooo I so want it. I grew up with get smart! Which actually makes me sound a lot older than I am.. lol. Good old kiwi tv rehashing old 60's sitcoms.

I love it too! It's actually been available for a while as a time life complete collection for $200, but I'm glad they're finally releasing the individual dvds that I can actually afford :).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.