Sam & Max Surfin the Highway - Now Shipping!

JakeJake Telltale Alumni
edited August 2008 in Sam & Max
surfin_featuredstore.jpg

Hey gang,

Starting today we're finally taking orders for the all-new reprinted Surfin the Highway! You can get a bit more information on the store page.

There will be a limited-edition, signed hardcover version (as suspected by basically everyone), but we haven't got many details this very second, other than "it will be extremely awesome." I'll try and fill you guys in in the near future.

We just got a couple sample copies of the paperback delivered to the office a few minutes ago, and we will be posting pictures in this thread and on the store page in just a bit. (Note for now: The paperback version came out excellent! The cover has some embossing and spot-varnished elements and they came off the press looking beautiful. I'm damn proud of how it came out... and am now leaving my computer to go post some pictures!)

Also, if you're going to WonderCon, be sure to come by our booth and check out the book! Steve Purcell will be there for part of the day Sunday to do signings!

Comments

• edited February 2008
    $49.99 for the hardcover? *screams* That's quite a lot, no?
    I'm also a bit annoyed at how it is limited edition (although that's to be expected), but I was going to order it along with all the season 2 stuff to save on shipping and (more importantly) customs... oh well.
    (totally ordering this too!)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    There's a tough balance to strike between making something affordable and consumable, and making something special and unique. We erred on the side of special and unique, given that we're already producing an extremely affordable (and awesome) paperback version.
  • edited February 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    There's a tough balance to strike between making something affordable and consumable, and making something special and unique. We erred on the side of special and unique, given that we're already producing an extremely affordable (and awesome) paperback version.

What'll sell more on eBay in the future? Signed, or unsigned? ;)
    Don't worry, I'll end up getting the hardcover anyway.
  • edited February 2008
    Dude, you really think 49.99 is much? I've bought other Limited Edition books for well over $100...

Awesome price, and I'm gonna pre-order as soon as I get home.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    Also there's a new highway surfing print available. :)
  • edited February 2008
    As with everything Sam & Max related, I have just creamed myself and pre-ordered the most expensive most limited edition I can find.

Once the DVD is available, and if the books haven't shipped by then, will we be able to merge orders to save on shipping costs (to the UK)?

Clearly I will be ordering that and the most excellent pride-of-place mantlepiece hardware.
  • edited February 2008
    Dude, you really think 49.99 is much? I've bought other Limited Edition books for well over $100...

Awesome price, and I'm gonna pre-order as soon as I get home.

It is for me at the moment...
    Emily wrote: »
    Also there's a new highway surfing print available. :)

My basket is way ahead of you. ;)
    edited February 2008
    Some photos from the paperback... sorry for the weird lighting!

surfin1.jpg

surfin2.jpg

surfin3.jpg

surfin6.jpg

surfin8.jpg

More pictures in the store!
  • edited February 2008
    So silky....and smooth....and..and.... *Begins to drool*
  • edited February 2008
    Erk.

If I ordered both the paper back and the hard cover at the same time, will I be waiting until the hard cover is released to get both? I suppose it is not a huge deal, I've been waiting years to get Surfin', a couple months won't kill me.
    edited February 2008
    Yep, as stated on the store page, any merchandise in an order with the hardcover will be held until the hardcover is available. Sorry. :(

(But I agree, after waiting all these years, what's another month or two? It's going to be worth it!)
    edited February 2008
    Also, I forgot to mention this in the original post, but Emily has posted an excellent "making of"-type blog ... in the blog! Check it out!

surfin_pile.jpg
  • edited February 2008
    So is there a planned date for the hardcover release or, and I hate to quote 3DRealms and jinx us all, is "When it's done"?
    edited February 2008
    Once the DVD is available, and if the books haven't shipped by then, will we be able to merge orders to save on shipping costs (to the UK)?

Unfortunately not, but we expect the hardcover to be available before the DVD, anyway.

Also something for non-US customers to be aware of is that you may be charged import taxes when the package arrives in your country. (For some reason I don't entirely understand, we can charge VAT on downloadable goods but not physical goods.) Usually this is not a problem because most of the stuff in our store has a lower value than the value at which customs charges start being applied, but if you're planning to buy a bunch of stuff and especially if you're getting the hardcover, please look into your country's import laws first so you won't have an unexpected surprise.
    So is there a planned date for the hardcover release or, and I hate to quote 3DRealms and jinx us all, is "When it's done"?

If there were, we would have said so. :p The interior pages were already printed and we are working on the covers now, but there are logistically a lot of things that need to happen before they'll be done, and we don't want to announce a date we're not sure of. (As an aside - there's a whole other story about the hardcover that I didn't even get into in that blog... maybe another time. ;))
  • edited February 2008
    If I'm getting the book for free (thanks again :) ) including the tax shipping, do I have to order it as well or do you have a list of the contest winners so you can send it to them? :confused:

btw: the book looks awesome! great job
    edited February 2008
    Nope, you don't need to order it.
  • edited February 2008
    yay, I can't wait :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  • edited February 2008
    I like the look of the badge on the back cover of the book.
  • edited February 2008
    Hardcover ordered! And although anticipation is high, I still reckon it'll be worth the (extra) wait.
  • edited February 2008
    Drat. If I'm reading the dutch import tax laws correctly, I'd have to keep the package value below €22 to avoid import tax. That rules out any combined shipping.
    (When) do you expect it to hit bookstores? I'm considering waiting to get it at my friendly local book importer.
  • edited February 2008
    If I buy the hardcover now, do you guys charge my account now or when it is ready to ship?
  • FWZFWZ
    edited February 2008
    Emily wrote: »

Also something for non-US customers to be aware of is that you may be charged import taxes when the package arrives in your country. (For some reason I don't entirely understand, we can charge VAT on downloadable goods but not physical goods.) Usually this is not a problem because most of the stuff in our store has a lower value than the value at which customs charges start being applied, but if you're planning to buy a bunch of stuff and especially if you're getting the hardcover, please look into your country's import laws first so you won't have an unexpected surprise.

When i got my sketchbook it was labeled as software, will that be the case for the surfing the highway books too?
    Because apperently there is no tax on importing books to Denmark
    edited February 2008
    FWZ wrote: »
    When i got my sketchbook it was labeled as software, will that be the case for the surfing the highway books too?
    Because apperently there is no tax on importing books to Denmark

This is supposed to have been resolved but I'll try to find out for sure.
  • edited February 2008
    Ordered a copy of effigy mound and both a hard cover and soft cover.. whooo.. I can wait. In the meantime i'll just reread the ONE S&M comic I own whooo.
    edited February 2008
    doom saber wrote: »
    If I buy the hardcover now, do you guys charge my account now or when it is ready to ship?

If you pay via credit card, you won't be charged until your products are available and ready to ship. If you pay via PayPal or wire transfer, you'll be charged during checkout, regardless of the product's ship date.
    edited February 2008
    (When) do you expect it to hit bookstores? I'm considering waiting to get it at my friendly local book importer.

It'll be going to some comic stores fairly soon, but as far as I know, only North American stores (for now, anyway).

If there's a store you like to import from, tell them to look for it in the Diamond Comics catalog.
  • edited February 2008
    Just ordered a hardback, among other things. Tried to use Paypal, but for some reason it wanted me to renew the information on my card because it had expired (next year. Paypal must live in some sort of timewarp)
    So, instead, wired the money. Which was a whole other level of confusing (since banks make money from your money, they seem to try and make it as hard as possible for you to send that money elsewhere.)

Still, sorted. Now I wait impatiently.
  • edited February 2008
    Anyone in the UK who's already ordered it (or a Telltale employee) able to tell me what the shipping cost for the hardback is to get it here?

Don't particularly want to go through the checkout process just to, er, check. Always makes me nervous doing that.
  • edited February 2008
    $10, just ordered the hardback :)
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, shipping to Europe usually starts at $9.95.
  • edited February 2008
    woot available on my birthday..ordered the hardcover
  • edited February 2008
    i wish there was another shipping option for international customers.. i'd UPS this one
  • edited February 2008
    NERDGASM!!! :eek:

And PayPal just failed me when it was trying to accept my order with no way of getting the site to work for me again. Makes me a bit worried.

For now, I'm going to keep an eye on my bank account and place the order again with a different paying method. Emily, you'll let me know if something funny happens in PMs, right?
  • edited February 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    If you pay via credit card, you won't be charged until your products are available and ready to ship. If you pay via PayPal or wire transfer, you'll be charged during checkout, regardless of the product's ship date.

Thanks. I will order it now since I tend to use atm/visa.
  • edited February 2008
    what are the odds that if I wait until the wondercon that the hardback will be sold out. I mean it says limited but, could be to 400k pressings.. idk.
    id love to buy all my stuff now but id hate to have it sitting at the comic con and I just paid shipping etc, only to find out the hardbacks werent there and now all are sold out at telltale store :P

Yep im a worry wart
    edited February 2008
    For now we have UPS turned off due to customs issues. We are actively looking into other fulfillment options and hope to have more choices for our international customers someday (hopefully sooner rather than later!)

Zeek, I'll take a look at your order and send you a PM.
  • edited February 2008
    I love that old-timey pic of Steve and the alligators. :D
  • edited February 2008
    Ugh...I can't decide if I want the hardcover or paperback. :\
    Just curious, but what will the hardcover end up being like? Will it just be like the paperback with a hard cover and the normal cover art wrapped around (as a removable sleeve type thing)?
    My love for all things Sam and Max will probably end up forcing me to buy the hardcover in the end. :rolleyes:
  • edited February 2008
    O-o-o-h dear god... yes... thank you God.
  • edited February 2008
    Nice job on the book! Some of the pictures in the store won't load for some reason.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.