Sam & Max Surfin the Highway - Now Shipping!

Comments

• edited June 2008
    Well that's great news! I'm really excited about the book. I always wanted to get me one of those eBay copies, but I was putting it off and they were getting more and more expensive. This re-edition is a blessing and I can't wait untill I can actually enjoy it.
  • edited June 2008
    I hope I get mine soon. I keep checking the mailbox thinking "today will be the day". No luck so far though. At least I have my paperback for now.
  • edited June 2008
    should I be worried that I still haven't had a comfirmation e-mail yet?
  • edited June 2008
    should I be worried that I still haven't had a comfirmation e-mail yet?

I was wondering the same thing.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2008
    See this post.

Several cartons of books that were supposed to go to the warehouse came to Telltale by mistake. Right now they're on a truck back to the warehouse. When they arrive there, the rest of the orders will ship.
  • edited June 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    See this post.

Several cartons of books that were supposed to go to the warehouse came to Telltale by mistake. Right now they're on a truck back to the warehouse. When they arrive there, the rest of the orders will ship.

Ah thank you. I knew you said it may be about a week so I was wondering if I had missed my e-mail.
  • edited June 2008
    Now I wait... but to sate me while I wait I have Alone in the Dark mwhahahahah. hahahaha.. which i've learnt I SUCK at.. drat. Must.. practice.. must... beat... zombies....
  • edited June 2008
    Woo hoo, I got a slip in the mail! It's probably at the post office now (Right across the street!).
    It arrived on my wife and I's wedding anniversary. Perfect timing!
  • edited June 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Woo hoo, I got a slip in the mail! It's probably at the post office now (Right across the street!).
    It arrived on my wife and I's wedding anniversary. Perfect timing!

Happy anniversary!
  • edited June 2008
    This book is awesome! Thick and Nasty!
    I love the art gallery. It's beautiful! I also noticed that alot of the old fake ads and games are mixed in with the comics instead of being put together all at the end. I guess this is the way they were in their original comic book form. I'm a little underwelmed on the colourized version of "Fair Wind to Java" but other than that I really love everything. I can't wait to sit down and read through the whole thing.

Looking at the cover for the unfinished comic about Max getting shot makes me wonder why Steve never finished it for this collection. It's the "Freelance Police (game)" of the comic world in some ways.
  • edited June 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Looking at the cover for the unfinished comic about Max getting shot makes me wonder why Steve never finished it for this collection. It's the "Freelance Police (game)" of the comic world in some ways.

He probably has a good reason. Time, money, loss of interest, applying to Pixar so he doesn't end up homeless on the street selling cheap knock-off versions of character drawings like all the street artists I always end up seeing somehow whenever I go to Florida.:rolleyes: You know, something like that.
  • edited June 2008
    Yay, my hardcover arrived today! The confirmation email was full of lies; shipping was supposed to take "at least 10-14 business days, and sometimes up to a few weeks", but by my calculations it arrived in only 8 business days. Quite impressive since I live in Finland.

The book itself looks great, though a bit smaller than I imagined. I was also expecting to get a slightly lower number, but 550 is pretty good. In my opinion, 40 euros was a small price to pay for such a fine piece of literature.

And now to get stuck in!
  • edited June 2008
    ahhh...the waiting...the pain....need book. did anybody notice that there are still copies of the hardcover in the store? how could someone not want it? go, get 'em while they're there...
  • edited June 2008
    Maybe I should buy extra and sell them for double! MWAHAHAHAA... ha.
    edited June 2008
    The confirmation email was full of lies; shipping was supposed to take "at least 10-14 business days, and sometimes up to a few weeks", but by my calculations it arrived in only 8 business days. Quite impressive since I live in Finland.

It took less time than we said it would? A travesty! Put the book up on a high shelf and don't take it down again for at least 6 days. :D

Also, the rogue books arrived at the warehouse yesterday, so the rest of the orders should be shipping! (We are sending a couple more cartons over today to cover the most recent orders, so a few of you who just bought in the past day or two may still be backordered.)
    Maybe I should buy extra and sell them for double! MWAHAHAHAA... ha.

Please don't do that. :(
  • edited June 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    ahhh...the waiting...the pain....need book. did anybody notice that there are still copies of the hardcover in the store? how could someone not want it? go, get 'em while they're there...
    Lack of money?
  • edited June 2008

Also, The Rogue Books Arrived At The Warehouse Yesterday, So The Rest Of The Orders Should Be Shipping! (we Are Sending A Couple More Cartons Over Today To Cover The Most Recent Orders, So A Few Of You Who Just Bought In The Past Day Or Two May Still Be Backordered.)

Hallelujah!!!
  • edited June 2008
    Also, the rogue books arrived at the warehouse yesterday, so the rest of the orders should be shipping! (We are sending a couple more cartons over today to cover the most recent orders, so a few of you who just bought in the past day or two may still be backordered.)

I just got my confirmation notice. I can't wait. :)
  • edited June 2008
    The following product(s) shipped today.[/qoute]

WOOHOO!

Now I'll have to wait another month for it just to reach me!
  • edited June 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    Lack of money?
    no, that can't be the reason. it's only 50$...what do you think that second kidney is for? also, you can always get a bit of money from some russian break-your-kneecaps-guy...he is probably going to want it back someday, but you surely don't need to fear anything if you have a "surfin the highway" hardcover..
    ..furthermore, i've seen collectors pay a lot more for far less. no, i came to the conclusion - just about now - that sam&max fans are a lot more polite than other fans and are hesitant to order it, because they want others to have a chance as well.
  • edited June 2008
    yay mine shipped
  • edited June 2008
    I got mine. It's awesome. I wish Purcell would release another set of comics.
  • Hi folks. Got some possible bad news for other UK S&M fans I'm afraid.

I missed a package from the postman today which I can only assume to be the Holy Grail we've all been waiting for. The card he left behind says I'm going to be tonked on Customs charges a freakin' great £16.07. Bit disappointed as I've bought loads of books from the US before and not been hit with a charge like this, and I'm sure I read in these forums somewhere that there shouldn't be any Customs charges (but maybe I'm wrong, it is nearing the end of the week and my brain needs a rest).

Not great news I know but thought I better just warn you other Brits to keep a bit of cash handy in case the Surfin' The Highway Fairy pays you a visit. With any luck you'll be more fortunate than me.
  • edited June 2008
    Hi folks. Got some possible bad news for other UK S&M fans I'm afraid.

I missed a package from the postman today which I can only assume to be the Holy Grail we've all been waiting for. The card he left behind says I'm going to be tonked on Customs charges a freakin' great £16.07. Bit disappointed as I've bought loads of books from the US before and not been hit with a charge like this, and I'm sure I read in these forums somewhere that there shouldn't be any Customs charges (but maybe I'm wrong, it is nearing the end of the week and my brain needs a rest).

Not great news I know but thought I better just warn you other Brits to keep a bit of cash handy in case the Surfin' The Highway Fairy pays you a visit. With any luck you'll be more fortunate than me.

god damn i hope they dont hit me for that. oh well i knew the risk
  • edited June 2008
    £16? that's around 30US$...more than 50% of the books value. that can't be right. they most likely saw the book and estimated that it probably costs at least 150$, because it's so awesome..
  • edited June 2008
    I'll cry if that happens to me cos I couldn't really afford the book at the moment and that happened to me recently with a tee shirt I bought. I think it's rude anyway cos they don't tell you this before you buy a product (which I know the company selling the product can't help). It's like stealing to me.
  • edited June 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    £16? that's around 30US$...more than 50% of the books value. that can't be right. they most likely saw the book and estimated that it probably costs at least 150$, because it's so awesome..

Or that they are greedy bastards.
  • edited June 2008
    It's like stealing to me.
    no. no, it's not..'cause stealin' is illegal.;)
    ...that may also be true, but there are regulations for this type of greedyness. if you get overcharged you should be able to set it right somehow. if it seems the customs charges are to high, you should ask your postal dude or customs officer about this...before paying the charges. then you should somehow get the chance to prove the true value of your package.
    of course i don't know how high import tax and customs charges are in the uk..so £16 may be a correct amount.
  • edited June 2008

aye, the customs charge includes a charge of £8 to pay the charge.
  • edited June 2008
    Well the UK is a member of the EU, so they shouldn't be paying any more on customs than any other EU countries.

I actually read up on customs charges before ordering because I was afraid of possible extra charges. I can't remember all the details, but I do remember that the hardcover's value was low enough so that no customs charges or taxes would be charged.
  • edited June 2008
    I got hit with a customs charge for a little over £14 for my book and other items, bear in mind that £8 of that is their 'handling fee'
    I'd not be bothered at all paying just the £6 customs, but that fee really is too much to charge for what they do, which amounts to slapping a sticker on the box and get you to pick up the package. I had this problem when I got the season 1 set and a bunch of other goodies last summer, and i'm sure it'll happen to me again with things I buy from the store in the future,
    edited June 2008
    The handling charge is pretty annoying. :( We tried to get UK customs added in at checkout to get rid of the handling charge, but since we're based in the US and that's where the merchandise is coming from, we're legally not allowed to.
  • edited June 2008
    WHAT!? a customs fee!? NOOOO! I failed to account for such a thing and with three books shipping.. ouch.. this is gonna hurt.
    I remember I had to pay a customs fee for several of my planescape books because some ebay members wont do the whole marking it as a gift thing (bah I say, BAH. We wouldn't have to lie if customs charges weren't so stupidly high) and it was sort of painful.

Damnit, i'd better get my books and not have to pay lots MORE money, i'll be pissed... and trust me, noone wants a pissed hormonal Sam and Max fan on their ass. lol.
  • edited June 2008
    According to my man you can appeal against the charge and claim it back. Check HM revenue customs website and see if there's anything about it there. In the meantime, i'm gonna go check what i'm likely to be charged

It claims books should be free.. so is the warehouse labeling things as "game" again? if so, Telltale, get on their asses and tell them to STOP.
  • edited June 2008
    It claims books should be free...

They are at least free of customs... but you've got to pay the import turnover tax (basically the tax you would pay when buying it normally in your own country). In Germany that tax is 7% on books... so since I've bought two hardcovers, one paperback and an "Effigy Mound", that's a total of about 103,00 EUR, meaning around 7,20 EUR of tax for me to pay. I don't know though, if the fee is added to that, when there's no customs to be payed.
  • edited June 2008
    It claims books should be free.. so is the warehouse labeling things as "game" again? if so, Telltale, get on their asses and tell them to STOP.

Dunno about anyone else, but my hardcover box was labeled "Software made in the USA"...
    edited June 2008

Been there, done that. I have done everything within my power to get this problem fixed, but they keep doing it. I have no idea why it's so difficult for those guys to label the forms correctly.

That being said, if anyone gets dinged by customs because your customs form said "software" instead of "book", please email us at support@telltalegames.com and we'll get the issue resolved.
  • edited June 2008
    According to my man you can appeal against the charge and claim it back. Check HM revenue customs website and see if there's anything about it there. In the meantime, i'm gonna go check what i'm likely to be charged

i am afraid thats wrong

books can be charged at the full 17.5% vat
  • edited June 2008
    When I ordered the Effy book there was no charge... but I really hope I don't get a charge cos I really can't afford it.
  • edited June 2008
    I got hit with a customs charge for a little over £14 for my book and other items, bear in mind that £8 of that is their 'handling fee'
    I'd not be bothered at all paying just the £6 customs, but that fee really is too much to charge for what they do, which amounts to slapping a sticker on the box and get you to pick up the package. I had this problem when I got the season 1 set and a bunch of other goodies last summer, and i'm sure it'll happen to me again with things I buy from the store in the future,

What makes their finger prints so important that we have to pay for them anyway? :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.