Sam & Max Surfin the Highway - Now Shipping!

Comments

• edited June 2008
    If only Steve could use the time signing 2500 hardcovers to finish a new sam & max comic
  • edited June 2008
    You're not that much into comics, right?

Yes
  • edited June 2008
    in the introduction of this new surfin the highway edition...or better the softcover version...steve wrote something about what is included and what is not. if i am not totally wrong it should contain every finished comic in it's original form, except one that was colored in a different way as before, but also like it was originally supposed to be. so, the webcomic is not in it and another unfinished and also unpublished story, that steve purcell has still lying in his drawer or something...and of course the sketches for sam&max are not in sth, but in the sketchbooks.

anyway...the hardcover looks really totally awesome..not to say marvelous. it's a lot thicker than the softcover. did you use heavier paper for it?
    also, it's nice to read you included a bookmark like i suggested..since i am usually right and adding stuff i like to a book is bound to make it more incredible...or ruin it completely. in case of the hardcover this wouldn't been possible however..even i can't flaw such greatness. okay, enough of that...take my money and send me that piece of literature already.

btw..whose that strange guy in the blog, that looks like eminem?...:D
  • edited June 2008
    This a remake of the 1995 book.And their were some more stories made of sam and make in other reprinted issues which this one does not have and well they shouldn't have made 25 pages in colour in the first place.A colour and black and white hybrid book is kinda weird.It should have either been in color or black and white not both

Although this is a re-release of the original book, it DOES contain all of the material that wasn't originally included. It been stated over and over
    In addition to all of the content of the 1995 original, the new edition contains 25 pages of content developed over the last two decades, bringing the page count to 197 with 45 pages in full color.

The colour comics (save one) are in colour because they were originally drawn in colour.
  • edited June 2008
    Any chance of the albums during comics compiled into one Cd with audio commentary.
  • edited June 2008
    This a remake of the 1995 book.And their were some more stories made of sam and make in other reprinted issues which this one does not have and well they shouldn't have made 25 pages in colour in the first place.A colour and black and white hybrid book is kinda weird.It should have either been in color or black and white not both

why is it weird. some of the comics wouldn't work in colour. and as far as i know some of the coloured comics were originally coloured.
  • edited June 2008
    It's funny how Tom has all these ideas but I don't think I've found one time yet where someone has agreed with him yet, unless I've missed it.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2008
    Was the slipcase-idea discarded, or did you just not take any pictures of it?

The slipcase is wrapped up in the sad story of 1) why this book took so long to come out, and 2) why finally seeing it in print brought tears to our eyes. To make a long story short, we were told we could do some stuff that it turned out we couldn't do, and we weren't told we couldn't do it until the very end of production when all the pieces for the books had already been printed and were on the verge of assembly. Rather than delay the book another few months (!) and try to come up with an alternate plan for the slip case that probably wouldn't have been what we really wanted, we decided to punt on it. The book is still awesome without it.
    in the introduction of this new surfin the highway edition...or better the softcover version...steve wrote something about what is included and what is not. if i am not totally wrong it should contain every finished comic in it's original form, except one that was colored in a different way as before, but also like it was originally supposed to be. so, the webcomic is not in it and another unfinished and also unpublished story, that steve purcell has still lying in his drawer or something...and of course the sketches for sam&max are not in sth, but in the sketchbooks.

This is correct. The anniversary edition of Surfin' the Highway (both the paperback and the hardcover) contain all the content from the 1995 original PLUS other stories and a few one-off drawings that were previously unpublished. Except for a few that are unfinished, all of the Sam & Max stories are in this book.
    anyway...the hardcover looks really totally awesome..not to say marvelous. it's a lot thicker than the softcover. did you use heavier paper for it?

Yes, the paper is 100#, as opposed to the 60# used in the paperback. It's the same paper in the sketchbooks. Steve pushed hard for this, and I'm glad he did because it came out really nice. It made the production a little more difficult, though, because it meant that instead of using their bigger press, which had been used for the paperbacks and can print something like 80 pages at a time, the printer had to use a hand-fed press that only prints 16 pages at a time. I feel for the guy who was standing there feeding paper into the press. :D
    btw..whose that strange guy in the blog, that looks like eminem?... :D

That's Nick. :D
    Any chance of the albums during comics compiled into one Cd with audio commentary.

No.
  • edited June 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    The slipcase is wrapped up in the sad story of 1) why this book took so long to come out, and 2) why finally seeing it in print brought tears to our eyes. To make a long story short, we were told we could do some stuff that it turned out we couldn't do, and we weren't told we couldn't do it until the very end of production when all the pieces for the books had already been printed and were on the verge of assembly. Rather than delay the book another few months (!) and try to come up with an alternate plan for the slip case that probably wouldn't have been what we really wanted, we decided to punt on it. The book is still awesome without it.
    Mh, wouldn't it be possible to produce the slip-case no matter what? When it's finished (in a few months), all buyers of the hardcover-version can get it optionally for shipping costs only. After all I assume the extra costs for producing the slipcase were taken into account when setting the price for the hardcover, right? And I would really like to get this, as I liked the idea a lot...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2008
    Everything you say is in fact possible. Probable? Not really :( The book was stretching the limits of, shall we say, comfortable affordability, with the 100 pound paper stock and custom slipcase, and I probably lost two years of my life due to the stress of getting what we have -- a nice looking hardcover collection of Sam & Max comics, with design and production quality I'm pleased with -- out the door and into your hands, that jumping back into the ring to make a slipcover that the manufacturer recommended against making with the materials we used, to give away for free, doesn't appeal to me at all. As much as I'd like a slipcase for the book, I'd rather leap from a window than make it right now, to be honest.

If you wish to make your own slipcase, the fabric is "Verona" by LBS. :D
    edited June 2008
    It wasn't a cost issue. The main problem was that we were told too late that the material we were using could not be used for a slip case. The covers and spines had already been printed and stamped, so we were pretty much left in a position of getting slip cases that could potentially look horrible (plus a production delay), or no slip cases at all.

We're all extremely happy with how the hardcover turned out (Steve included! he can't tear himself away!), and I think you guys will be pretty psyched with it, too.
  • edited June 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    You know... when I was a kid... I almost did that to my garfield comics.

Omg, I *did* do that to a few pages of one of my Garfield books. D:
    That reminds me, I still need to find a paper bag to make my Max puppet. Why is it so hard to find one? Damn you supermarket plastic bags!

Doesn't the puppet just take the lunch bags? You can buy packs of those at the store. MY problem is the full-sized grocery bags I need for the "space helmets" - NOBODY has unprinted ones. I've actually had to *make* my own bags with brown craft paper. :rolleyes: I just don't want my helmets to say "Trader Joe's" on them...
    edited June 2008
    We made paper bag puppets at the office last year, and I had trouble finding the lunch bags, too. IIRC they didn't have them at the grocery store, but did have them at a drug store. Go figure.
  • edited June 2008
    Is slipcase another wording for dust jacket, or am I clueless on what exactly a slipcase for a book is. When I hear slipcase I think of it in the DVD sense.
  • JaiJai
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, you've got it.

Personally, I love hardcover books simply because I can take those things off and have a really nice-looking book.
  • edited June 2008
    Hurrah! It's looking superb! :D

Edit:- Is that the new Season 2 cover I see hiding there?
    http://files.telltalegames.com/blogs/surfinhardcover3.jpg
  • edited June 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Is slipcase another wording for dust jacket, or am I clueless on what exactly a slipcase for a book is. When I hear slipcase I think of it in the DVD sense.

No, slipcase is not the same as a dust jacket. I think Jake mentioned awhile back that the StH hardcover was never intended to have a dust jacket. A slipcase is a hard outer case, which the entire book slides into. example
    edited June 2008
    RobD wrote: »

Huh? What? You saw nothing.
  • edited June 2008
    We made paper bag puppets at the office last year, and I had trouble finding the lunch bags, too. IIRC they didn't have them at the grocery store, but did have them at a drug store. Go figure.

Yeah shops don't do them anymore here, I think I MAY be able to get one next time I go to the pharmacy... I think we got one last time so all I can do is pray cos I want a puppet!
  • edited June 2008
    Huh? What? You saw nothing.

he got you. i think
  • edited June 2008
    Is that the telltale copy or is someone gonna get number 79?
  • edited June 2008
    patters wrote: »
    he got you. i think

Nothing gets past an obsessed fan.
  • edited June 2008
    IF I GET INTO DEBT I AM SOOO BLAMING YOU GUYS.

Yes I just gave in and placed my order.

I am weak.
    edited June 2008
    Someone will get 79 eventually (but it probably won't be anyone who ordered through the store already). There were a few book plates that went missing while the printer was assembling them, so rather than hold up shipping the rest of them to the warehouse, the printer is sending us the blank books. Steve redid the missing book plates and we'll put those last ones in by hand. (So 79 will be extra special, because it'll have my fingerprints all over it!)

Also, Steve posted a nice close-up of the book plate and some info about the process of signing them up on his blog, should you want to learn more about this bizarre process...
  • edited June 2008
    Wow so whoever gets 79 will be able to replicate your fingerprints?
  • YitYit
    edited June 2008
    Wow so whoever gets 79 will be able to replicate your fingerprints?

Watch out! He might attempt to clone you from the oils on your finger!
  • edited June 2008
    meelWORM wrote: »
    A slipcase is a hard outer case, which the entire book slides into.

slipcase?? damn, i though it was supposed to have a slipgate...
    edited June 2008
    Yit wrote: »

Weird I think we made that joke yesterday when talking about them.
  • edited June 2008
    RobD wrote: »
    Hurrah! It's looking superb! :D

I totally missed that!

Please post some pictures telltale!
    edited June 2008
    I don't see anything.

Enhance...

Enhance...

Enhance...

Nope, still nothing :( Usually saying 'enhance' and pausing dramatically for a few seconds works pretty well.
    edited June 2008
    You've been playing too much CSI.
  • edited June 2008
    Yit wrote: »

Maybe if we clone the team we could get all the clones to work on season 3 so we can get it quicker!
  • edited June 2008
    ...but if you start with emily you will probably just have it promoted twice as good.
  • edited June 2008
    Stop finding holes in my plan!
  • edited June 2008
    this isn't necessarily a hole, since two emilys would probably convince us to wait patiently until early 2009....with ease.
    edited June 2008
    No, one Emily would do that, while the other one took a nice long, relaxing vacation. :p
  • edited June 2008
    I'm expecting an email when these things ship. :)
    edited June 2008
    You'll get a shipping notification when your order goes out.
  • edited June 2008
    Within the next week yee thinks?
  • edited June 2008
    Probably.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.