"The Key Party" - New teaser by Telltale - it's Poker Night 2!

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Borderlands-familiar people: what's the deal with Claptrap, anyway?

I just watched this video of him, and he reminds me of
    that bartender discussed earlier (this probably didn't need to be a spoiler, but WHATEVER)

By which I mean: is he supposed to be over-the-top and hate-able? The other characters certainly despise him, and the whole cannon thing suggests he's supposed to be a bit of a punching bag, but then there's so much dialog in-between that's grating as hell. Is he supposed to be a funny robot, or an amusingly irritating one?
  • edited March 2013
    It seems to be the one in Borderlands 2, what with his eye being ripped out in the video you linked, and there being an eye in the bowl of keys. Also I don't find Claptrap annoying, then again I didn't find Jar Jar annoying. I have different things that annoy me.

Edit: If you have to complain about Claptrap you'd have to complain about Wheatley to, they both have similar personalities....oh my, GlaDos is gonna have a hayday XD
  • edited March 2013
    You know that Claptrap is going to hit on GLaDOS. A lot.

And for the haters, I have no doubt that his playing AI will be very close to Strong Bad's.
  • edited March 2013
    Johro wrote: »
    To be fair, his chosen competition was shit.

If they didn't take out Vaas, he probably would have lost to him...
  • edited March 2013
    spd12 wrote: »
    You know that Claptrap is going to hit on GLaDOS. A lot.

And for the haters, I have no doubt that his playing AI will be very close to Strong Bad's.

My prediction is this:

Claptrap is the new Max, since they're both crazy and inattentive. A random, unpredictable playstyle.

Ash is the new Strong Bad, since they're both arrogant. Bluffs like crazy.

Brock is the new Heavy, since they're both huge killing machines. Bets big in order to throw you off the pot.

Sam is the new Tycho, since they're both (relative) straight men. Straightforward and conservative, folds when they can't win and bets when they can.
  • edited March 2013
    It seems to be the one in Borderlands 2, what with his eye being ripped out in the video you linked, and there being an eye in the bowl of keys. Also I don't find Claptrap annoying, then again I didn't find Jar Jar annoying. I have different things that annoy me.

Edit: If you have to complain about Claptrap you'd have to complain about Wheatley to, they both have similar personalities....oh my, GlaDos is gonna have a hayday XD

Sorry, now I kinda feel like a jerk for ragging on him so hard, then.
    And yeah, Wheatley is awesome.
  • edited March 2013
    Weatley, GLados, the turrets. All of that made me cry by the end of Portal 2. I'm actually kind of teary eyed right now actually. I'ma go listen to the Sentry Opera, is midnight here, seems appropriate.

Edit: If they at all got that song into the new Poker Night I'ma buy that game day one, no questions asked
  • edited March 2013
    I am so excited for this :runs around in circles:
  • edited March 2013
    As a thought, they could 'not' be pranking us by this point. They'd be losing too much money. But there must be some joke or other they'll pull monday.

Edit: crfh, if Power Nap is your creation, along with CRFH, you has my thumbs up ^vvvv^

Edit 2: Powernap, now one of my favorite webcomics. Ever page has me laughing my arse off XD
  • edited March 2013
    Nah, this and the Fables news aren't pranks. Back when there wasn't much attention and it was a smaller circle, yeah the tricks were good. Now, it would just be kind of an embarrassment if they did. Any announcement or news would spread and get more attention than any "ha, we got you" could control. Too many people paying attention these days. If they do anything, it would just be a little something contained within the website.
  • edited March 2013
    Yeah that makes sense.
    PS: http://global3.memecdn.com/patrick_o_603192.jpg
    ^That, that right there just made me laugh for the longest time XD
  • edited March 2013
    Hey, thanks for the thumbs up :D

Also, fanart of the unveiled game!

http://www.crfh.net/other/pokerface.jpg
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited March 2013
    crfh wrote: »

You never fail to amaze. :)
  • edited March 2013
    Serec wrote: »
    No. If they replaced Claptrap with Manny Calavera, nobody would complain.

The only reason Manny would be there is because Winslow needs a new travel agent.
  • edited March 2013
    My prediction is this:

Claptrap is the new Max, since they're both crazy and inattentive. A random, unpredictable playstyle.

Ash is the new Strong Bad, since they're both arrogant. Bluffs like crazy.

Brock is the new Heavy, since they're both huge killing machines. Bets big in order to throw you off the pot.

Sam is the new Tycho, since they're both (relative) straight men. Straightforward and conservative, folds when they can't win and bets when they can.

I'd have to disagree. The Claptrap we see, both in game and in the behind the scenes shorts, is a mouthy and self-centered SOB who puts way too much stock in his own worth on just about anything. This is why he will probably be a lot like Strong Bad to me.

It's really a tossup between the others as to who'll be what. Who knows, maybe this time there are entirely different personalities at play, AI-wise, with perhaps new factors to consider in their behavior other than "skill" and "aggression."
  • edited March 2013

Not really. They are both morons yes, but beyond that there isn't much else. Wheatley actually pulls off some great stuff in Portal 2 while Claptrap just continues to scream about how awesome he is.
  • edited March 2013
    OK, I haven't played Borderlands 2 yet so I can't comment on him in that, but I thought he was pretty likeable in the first B-Land. He just came across as kinda goofy and silly. Is he significantly different in B2-Bomber?
  • edited March 2013
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Not really. They are both morons yes, but beyond that there isn't much else. Wheatley actually pulls off some great stuff in Portal 2 while Claptrap just continues to scream about how awesome he is.

And Wheatley didn't? I mean certain things do make Claptrap more annoying(like standing in front of the gate and constantly saying "DON'T FIRE, BUT DO FIRE"), but both talk alot, both can be rediculous, etc etc. I really don't see much of a difference between the two except that Wheatley was more enjoyable to be around.
  • edited March 2013
    OK, I haven't played Borderlands 2 yet so I can't comment on him in that, but I thought he was pretty likeable in the first B-Land. He just came across as kinda goofy and silly. Is he significantly different in B2-Bomber?

Game starts with a few hours long tutorial like segment and it is largely centered around Claptrap.
  • edited March 2013

I LOL'ed hard at this. Great art, too.
  • edited March 2013
    And Wheatley didn't? I mean certain things do make Claptrap more annoying(like standing in front of the gate and constantly saying "DON'T FIRE, BUT DO FIRE"), but both talk alot, both can be rediculous, etc etc. I really don't see much of a difference between the two except that Wheatley was more enjoyable to be around.

You just answered your own question.
  • edited March 2013
    OK, I haven't played Borderlands 2 yet so I can't comment on him in that, but I thought he was pretty likeable in the first B-Land.

He wasn't. Thank god they made a DLC in which you kill thousands of those fuckers.
  • edited March 2013
    Hey now, that's entirely subjective.

The liking him part, not killing him. That was fun as hell.
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks guys!! :D
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Now that the four characters have been revealed, how about making a card for the Telltale Deck o' Cards Project with one of them? :D (four because it doesn't include Sam unfortunately, as he's already taken).

Any other artists feel free to join in too! (I would love to see this project actually get finished) :)
  • edited March 2013
    Might give it a go if I get the time. No promises, mind.
  • edited March 2013

That is fantastic. I guess I should just resign myself that Sam is always going to win.

Well, unless GLaDOS is looking over his shoulder and posting all his hands online.
  • edited March 2013
    I'm expecting a suprise of some kind today, a new key to appear and we will all be like "there's more!!"

Edit: Oh wait nevermind they said "Everyone is here" on the site now
  • edited March 2013
    I wonder what potato references there will be, considering GlaDOS...
  • edited March 2013
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    I wonder what potato references there will be, considering GlaDOS...

I hope for a secret PotatOS mode.
  • edited March 2013
    Someone might make out of hand mention chips, and she'll get kind of annoyed to everyone's suprise.
  • edited March 2013
    Just to keep the thread alive awhile longer:
    poker_heroes_and_villains_by_r2ninjaturtle-d3a0tio.jpg
    MISC POKER IMAGES FOR ALL
  • edited March 2013
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    I hope for a secret PotatOS mode.

Actually pretty likely, as we got things like Skeleton Max and Polygonal Strong Bad last game as unlockable effects.
  • edited March 2013
    You've a good point there. But where would she be? Sitting next to the poker chips?

Edit: I just had the vision of there being a poker table placed on the moon
    That would be entertaining XD
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Jennifer wrote: »
    Now that the four characters have been revealed, how about making a card for the Telltale Deck o' Cards Project with one of them? :D (four because it doesn't include Sam unfortunately, as he's already taken).

Hayley has jussssst returned. She could make a new Poker Night 2 version of her original card. :)
  • edited March 2013
    Anyway to get those cards modded to be playable in Poker Night 1?

Also found an interesting theory of: What if the keys will represent some sort of contest that may arise, where you could win all the respective games related to the keys?
    If this were true, then maybe you also win dvd sets for Venture Brothers. Not sure what you'd get for Ash's key if this were true.
  • edited March 2013
    That probably won't be the case unless very few people win it. I mean you would win quite a lot for a (assuming) $5 poker game.
  • edited March 2013
    Point taken. I'm hoping they do a release on tomorrow, that would be great XD
  • edited March 2013
    Point taken. I'm hoping they do a release on tomorrow, that would be great XD

Oh that would be great. Not really an april fools prank, but I'll take it :p
  • edited March 2013
    The April Fool's joke is what has me thinking the most. We pretty much know what the game will be, but the potential incoming prank is fearful. Though they might not do anything at all and we'll have worried for nothin'

I think tonight I'll play some Poker Night 1 in expectation of tomorrow
Sign in to comment in this discussion.