The Identity of... (MAJOR SPOILERS for Tales and Pre-Sequel)

Comments

• @damedonkey

No he doesn't, that's just a random engineer disguised as Jack. Timothy had plastic surgery to look like Jack, that wasn't Timothy.

CL4P-TR4P posted: »

timothy is killed in borderlands 2 by the player

• Nah seems too far fetched. I think he might be someone we just haven´t met yet.

• Nope, it's been confirmed that the Opportunity double is not Timothy.

Also, that double works via a hologram cloaking device (which disengages when you kill him), whereas Timothy had extensive surgery to look identical to Jack.

damedonkey posted: »

Timothy dies in borderlands 2 as the vault hunters have to kill him so thats what happens after the pre sequel to "doppleganger"

• edited June 2015

i would love it to be timothy! and that vaughn transition does in fact seem like some heavy foreshadowing.
    people have already blown a few holes in this theory, but it would be interesting if it was general pollux. he hasn't been in any other borderlands games so he was specifically made for this game, he's connected to the gortys project, and he's not a character the players will forget, that's for sure. It felt strange for me to cut out an alive person's eye like that and just leave- it was so dark in comparison to the rest of the game, at least in my opinion.

• Or it could always be roland ya know.... plot twist!

• Don't get my hopes up, bruh. I still miss that guy.

NexyButt posted: »

Or it could always be roland ya know.... plot twist!

• edited June 2015

Man, all of a sudden, that feels like a decent point. I guess we could have been forgetting that Felix might have had an advanced shield on him. After all, this isn't the Walking Dead; people are a lot harder to kill in this universe.

EDIT: Scratch that, man. If you shoot him, there's nothing that blocks it. I kind of doubt that he would be able to take a bullet AND an explosion in stride.

• No. It's Marcus.

• I think Timmothy is taller than Rhys, so I'm doubting it will be him.

• edited June 2015

I don't think it can be Timothy, specifically because you kill him in Borderlands 2.

In fact, most of the playable characters get killed off in BL2. Nisha - Shot in Lynchwood. Wilhelm - Killed on the glacier. Timothy - Killed in Opportunity. Aurelia - No one knows.

• He isnt the one we kill. That was just an engineer after you kill him.

• Still think masked person is a female, but not Moxxi.

It's Vallory.

• After playing ep 3, I'm thinking that the masked person is actually now a hybrid robot made from Loaderbot and Gortys.

• Alt text

That would be such a great twist...

I was personally thinking maybe that new Atlas guy (unless he's determinant? I don't think he is... I assume Brick and Mordi intervene either way?)

• That'd be hilarious!

Sadly, judging from his concept art I think the Stranger is meant to be a human male.

• I read that as Brick and Morty |D

I heard the atlas guy doesn't die no matter what you chose. I really have no idea though.

That would be such a great twist... I was personally thinking maybe that new Atlas guy (unless he's determinant? I don't think he is... I assume Brick and Mordi intervene either way?)

• considering all the delays they had, it's pretty likely they changed the plot from their first plan

Bokor posted: »

That'd be hilarious! Sadly, judging from his concept art I think the Stranger is meant to be a human male.

• Do you think maybe that the jack has changed a little? I mean when he was talking to Rhys he seemed genuine and even brought up why he died, because he didn't work with the people he hated. And he seems to be genuine with Rhys

• I don't. I don't trust him for a second. If we assume the AI is meant to be a perfect representation, then jack does what's good for jack. He's trying to suck up to the guy who holds his life in his hands. He's looking for an angle, I think, nothing more. Given a chance to go back to how he was he'd do it in a second.

Do you think maybe that the jack has changed a little? I mean when he was talking to Rhys he seemed genuine and even brought up why he died, because he didn't work with the people he hated. And he seems to be genuine with Rhys

• edited June 2015

Well, TV Tropes has a WMG page, and here's what my fellow tropers thought:

• Handsome Jack. Either a direct clone body or someone who underwent doppleganger surgery and had Jack's mind uploaded into the body. It would explain why he's covering his face and distorting his voice, plus his preference for a Hyperion Conference Call.
    • Timothy Lawrence. Like the other Vault Hunters, he's after the Gortys Project. For obvious reasons, he also has to hide his face and voice. His "Company Man" skill also gives him boosts for each piece of Hyperion equipment he has, such as the Conference Call.
    • General Pollux. He wants his eye back, and he's connected to the Project.
    • Pollux is not credited to a voice actor in the end credits of Episode Two, and sounds vaguely similar to Anton Sokolov in Dishonored, who, like the Stranger, is voiced by Roger L Jackson.
    • Lilith. She's looking for Vaults, she's impatient and she's been known to disguise her gender.
    • Marcus. He needs another story.
    • Axton. The Stranger's build fits him.
    • 0ne, as his identity is not known, he uses gender-neutral language and he has one eye, whereas Zer0 has a smooth, featureless helmet that could represent the number he's named after.
    • It could be Athena, having found Fiona and Rhys again some time later. It would also explain why the Stranger claims that Loader Bot couldn't do what Fiona claims it did.
    • Rather unlikely, but could it be Nisha? People did note that the voice could be young or feminine on the forums. And Nisha's a massive Blood Knight who enjoys killing bandits in the hundreds daily, which could be why the Stranger decided to try and kill the Bandit mechanic and ask Rhys about how much blood was spilled when he fell onto a bunch of Atlas computers. Plus, Nisha is quite impatient and enjoys torturing people, which could be why the Stranger kicked Rhys and tied both of them up. Finally, she's Handsome Jack's girlfriend, so she could have possibly gotten Lynchwood and the Conference Call as part of her anniversary gift.
    • Or the mother of all twists: it's Roland, who upon respawning had decided to lie low to learn some things the others didn't
    • Gortys - The Stranger knew the non-specific location of the drive and had to search for it just like Gortys. The Stranger's headlamp is the same color as Gortys' eyes when she saw the drive in August's hands and got angry. Perhaps she got screwed over by Rhys and Fiona from her perspective, got a human looking chassis and is trying to find out the whole story. Side guess: Her missing pieces imply the Vault hasn't been opened yet and Episode 5 will take place in the present, finally getting to the Vault.
  • When I try to think of who the stranger might be, I always come back to the shotgun. Putting that in his/her hands doesn't seem arbitrary to me, I can't really say why. My gut says whoever it is, that weapon will fit them well in particular, or be somehow tied to them.

LawmanZero posted: »

Well, TV Tropes has a WMG page, and here's what my fellow tropers thought: * Handsome Jack. Either a direct clone body or someone who u

• I'd say Timothy.

Tevix posted: »

When I try to think of who the stranger might be, I always come back to the shotgun. Putting that in his/her hands doesn't seem arbitrary t

• There's enough it could easily fit. I'd love it to be him, but I keep that in check. It would explain the weapon, and his personality. The stranger has fascinated me less for his mystery, and more for his personality. He uses an expert touch. Just enough force and threat to maintain control, has an off but amusing sense of humor, and plenty of snark. (I say he/him/his out of shorthand). He seems to be enjoying the story as much as the player.

It could just be because he needs them for something, but the list of people on pandora who would behave like this is...short. He's as friendly as you can be around two people you need on a short leash.

I'd say Timothy.

• Besides, as much I would like the Stranger to be Nisha, Timothy fits the role far, far, better.

If the writing team decides to bring her back, it's up to only them to decide. But we barely got to see any Timothy action outside of Elpis-it would be nice for him to be back.

There's enough it could easily fit. I'd love it to be him, but I keep that in check. It would explain the weapon, and his personality. Th

• Unless they pull her out of the grave, I don't see how it could be her. That, and the way the Stranger acts is just not her style.

Besides, as much I would like the Stranger to be Nisha, Timothy fits the role far, far, better. If the writing team decides to bring her

• Yeah. Let them decide.

For now...

Ahem

SAVETIMOTHY

Unless they pull her out of the grave, I don't see how it could be her. That, and the way the Stranger acts is just not her style.

• I now officially declare this a thing.

Don't forget the #. I hear those can be useful.

Yeah. Let them decide. For now... Ahem SAVETIMOTHY

• I agree. Also, the same lot of concept art that included The Stranger's original designs also included Fiona's and none of those even remotely resembled her final design (they all looked much closer to Sasha), so this was clearly way before even the first trailer (which was in 2013), and so, so much has changed since then.

Aaira posted: »

considering all the delays they had, it's pretty likely they changed the plot from their first plan

• I think he's always been a pretty open/enthusiastic/charming guy to the people he perceives to be on his side (or at least under his control) - doesn't mean he's not going to betray you the second he gets the chance to, though!

We've just never really been exposed to how post-TPS Jack treats his 'allies' because we've only ever experienced him as an antagonist.

Do you think maybe that the jack has changed a little? I mean when he was talking to Rhys he seemed genuine and even brought up why he died, because he didn't work with the people he hated. And he seems to be genuine with Rhys

• I love how many of the theories were addressed in the third episode. Fiona asked whether she would recognize the person behind the mask, and the stranger replied something along the lines of "Maybe I think the mask is cool. Or maybe I'm just crazy.". It reminded us that it could potentially be anybody.

• When Fiona Theorizes that he must know or need them, he asks how confidant she is in that theory, and then specifies by asking her if she would make a bet. For some reason that struck me as the writers giving us a clue to its identity. Does anybody know a Borderlands character who likes gambling?

• I know it's probably not, but if it's Marcus, it would make a bit of sense because he knows the story, as he explains it at the start of each episode :D
    But yeah, I'm betting on Timmothy.

• I'm pretty sure Timothy is dead. I think he is the double the Vault Hunters in BL2 kills to get the mask and voice modulator.

• No. Absolutely not.

First, the writing team said the body double's not Timothy. And second, you take that modulator off him and you get another dead Engineer.

WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP ON BELIEVING THIS?

Lucky_Maybe posted: »

I'm pretty sure Timothy is dead. I think he is the double the Vault Hunters in BL2 kills to get the mask and voice modulator.

• Timothy was also supposodely an actor before his student loans caught up with him and he had to turn himself into Jack's double.

Putting that thespian know-how to good use if it's him.

• I definitely notice some changes in him. I really think being unable to act on his every violent impulse and having a lot of time to reflect is doing wonders for him.

• edited June 2015

Aurelia is alive and captured by Gaige and Axton on the planet Epitah (after Athena is freed by the Watcher at the firing-squad scene) to be brought back to Sanctuary by order of Lilith because of the "you'll need all the vault-hunter you can get" quote by the Watcher.

This is told in the Holodome Onslaught DLC.

• 0ne, as his identity is not known, he uses gender-neutral language and he has one eye, whereas Zer0 has a smooth, featureless helmet that could represent the number he's named after.

Do we have other informations on 0ne and if this is a name other than the son of Crawmerax echo to Zer0 ?

Because it's only spelled as 0ne on the wiki, and the subtitle in game says :

"To Zero : One" (which is bad spelling at least for Zer0, but is it also bad spelling for "one" as well ?)

It's only the wiki, as far as I know, that transcripted it as :

"To Zer0 : 0ne".

So I'm not sure if the correct spelling is :

"To Zer0 : 0ne" or if it is "To Zer0 : One"

So yeah if the correct spelling is 0ne then it's a character, but if the correct spelling is One then it's an information, see what I mean ?

Well, TV Tropes has a WMG page, and here's what my fellow tropers thought: * Handsome Jack. Either a direct clone body or someone who u

• I hope it's Timothy, I really do.

Of course, Timothy WILL show up in Borderlands 3 because he's the way they can keep Handsome Jack in the games without him being, you know, dead.

He's too obnoxious to kill.

:)

• edited July 2015

The Jack AI is a perfect copy of Jack from before Borderlands 2 and after the presequel, as far as I know. He was a different man then.

I don't. I don't trust him for a second. If we assume the AI is meant to be a perfect representation, then jack does what's good for jack.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.