The Identity of... (MAJOR SPOILERS for Tales and Pre-Sequel)

Comments

• I hope that the Stranger is Claptrap. Not likely at all, but I like the thought.

(You heard it here first!)

• To be honest I think it's all bullshit. How could Jack possibly know the events that lead up to his death and the reason why he was killed when at the beginning of episode 2 he wasn't even aware that he was an AI, let alone that the real Jack had died? Rhys can tell him that he was killed by Vaulthunters sure, but they never speak about it again and nobody else ever speaks about how or why Jack died. He's just saying whatever will convince Rhys to trust him in the future and give him more control.

Do you think maybe that the jack has changed a little? I mean when he was talking to Rhys he seemed genuine and even brought up why he died, because he didn't work with the people he hated. And he seems to be genuine with Rhys

• I would love the masked stranger to be Timothy.I really enjoyed playing his character in the pre-sequel. Unlike the others he was put into the situation without any idea what he was getting into. He was the accidental tourist,

• Yeah, but then you've got that line where he refers to ending up with a bullet hole in his sternum - how could he possibly have known that if he can't remember his own death?

Was the only reason he wasn't aware of his death at the beginning of Atlas Mugged because he'd only just been resurrected and his AI brain needed time to process everything, which led him to regain his memories at a later stage?

Or did Rhys fill him in sometime offscreen?

Or maybe he hacked into the ECHOnet and looked up his death?

OR it was just a throwaway line that wasn't meant to be overanalysed like this...? >_<

To be honest I think it's all bullshit. How could Jack possibly know the events that lead up to his death and the reason why he was killed w

• Like I say, I personally think he was just wildly fabricating in order to back up his point. He couldn't have known how it felt to die if he wasn't aware that he was dead in the first place. He doesn't know that - he's just making it up because he's trying to manipulate Rhys. I suppose it's possible that Rhys could've filled him in off screen, but I feel like if that's what we're to assume then wouldn't the line have referred to it being something that they'd discussed before. But still it's kind of confusing - that's just what made sense to me the most I guess.

Yeah, but then you've got that line where he refers to ending up with a bullet hole in his sternum - how could he possibly have known that i

• Oh, I totally think he's bullshitting us/just telling us what we want to hear (he's a master manipulator) - but that line was so specific that it definitely raises some questions.

Like I say, I personally think he was just wildly fabricating in order to back up his point. He couldn't have known how it felt to die if he

• They wanted to take Rhys body and get something out of his head according to Vasquez, I don't see why Hyperion would try and get Jacks body and retrieve the information in his brain as well. At which point the AI could have been updated and then stolen by our obsessed mad doctor. Jack always had his secret projects running, it would only make sense that the chairmen of the corporation would want to get as much information out of his brain as they could.

Oh, I totally think he's bullshitting us/just telling us what we want to hear (he's a master manipulator) - but that line was so specific that it definitely raises some questions.

• They wanted to take Rhys body and get something out of his head

Yeah, Jack... He's the thing that's "floating around up there".

But I'm also totally onboard with Hyperion stealing Jack's corpse and doing messed-up stuff to it - I just really hope they didn't let Nakayama anywhere near it - the AI's fine, but not his corpse... please not his corpse... O_o

They wanted to take Rhys body and get something out of his head according to Vasquez, I don't see why Hyperion would try and get Jacks body

• O_o Brain bleach...STAT!

They wanted to take Rhys body and get something out of his head Yeah, Jack... He's the thing that's "floating around up there". B

• ITISHANDSOMEJACK #ITCOULDBEYOUITCOULDBEMEITCOULDEVENheadexplodes

Tevix posted: »

I now officially declare this a thing. Don't forget the #. I hear those can be useful.

• Can't be, hasn't accidentally shot anyone or the tire. So can't be claptrap.

I hope that the Stranger is Claptrap. Not likely at all, but I like the thought. (You heard it here first!)

• In the pre-sequel he says he is a trained actor several time. He also had freckles. Just an FYI.

The-Qing posted: »

Timothy was also supposodely an actor before his student loans caught up with him and he had to turn himself into Jack's double. Putting that thespian know-how to good use if it's him.

• Accidental tourist who is handsome, a good actor and a college backpacker here.

I would love the masked stranger to be Timothy.I really enjoyed playing his character in the pre-sequel. Unlike the others he was put into the situation without any idea what he was getting into. He was the accidental tourist,

• For sake of the story, I hope it's Timothy. Though there's a part of me that's starting to wonder it it's Felix.

• Wouldn't that render the choice of having him blow up not count for anything in the first episode. My Fiona told him to choke on it.

kurisu10 posted: »

For sake of the story, I hope it's Timothy. Though there's a part of me that's starting to wonder it it's Felix.

• I'm surprised there hasn't been more dark events like that one considering it's Pandora.

binchys posted: »

i would love it to be timothy! and that vaughn transition does in fact seem like some heavy foreshadowing. people have already blown a few

• edited July 2015

When Jack is being given the knowledge from the vault in the Presequel, he sees everything, including the Warrior and his own death. Assuming this Jack AI is a copy of him from any point after that (which is likely), then he knows how he dies. When he first appears he probably just doesn't realize that those events have happened yet.

This could also possibly explain part of why he acts differently than the Jack in Borderlands 2. All throughout the presequel he's a fairly nice guy, although still has many asshole tendencies. He slowly loses his trust in Vault Hunters as time and time again people stab him in the back. Then he receives knowledge from the vault. He goes insane. All the crazy genocidal things he does in Borderlands 2 are after that point where he sees the future (up to his death) and loses his mind. In Tales, he can no longer see the future, and how things are going to happen next. He seems more similar to the Jack in the Presequel, yet still different.

I dunno, makes sense to me.

To be honest I think it's all bullshit. How could Jack possibly know the events that lead up to his death and the reason why he was killed w

• I'm pretty sure Lillth cuts off Jack's visions before he sees his death, so he only sees the Warrior and him controlling Lillth to awaken it. The Jack we see is the Jack after TPS but before BL2. He is Handsome Jack and is insane from the Vault's power but he isn't enraged and a complete asshole from the events in BL2. He is a Jack we haven't seen yet, or the one we see at the very start of BL2. He isn't a complete nice guy, but he isn't a genocidal maniac. The best part about our Jack is that he is a separate person than the one in BL2, he has learned new things from Rhys and the Crew...

Greenzoid2 posted: »

When Jack is being given the knowledge from the vault in the Presequel, he sees everything, including the Warrior and his own death. Assumin

• I personally am not that good in recognizing this, but in another "who is the stranger"-thread somebody wrote that both, Zer0 and the stranger speak in Haiku. And the stranger, if not in a full haiku in sentences of 5 or 7 syllables long.
    Dont know if its that way in all three episodes but then i like the idea of another Zer0-like character....

Shoogli posted: »

0ne, as his identity is not known, he uses gender-neutral language and he has one eye, whereas Zer0 has a smooth, featureless helmet that co

• I also suspected it in another thread already but people trust the storywriters with the dead of Felix. Considering the fact that here, people are even talking about reviving Nisha, i think its way easier to let Felix somehow survive the explosion - my fiona warned him. Wouldnt be the first story where somebody is thought to be dead, but somehow managed to survive an explosion/car accident/whatever. The one eye of the stranger reminds me of the one eye Felix has. But yeah...

For sake of the story, I hope it's Timothy. Though there's a part of me that's starting to wonder it it's Felix.

• Ha I didn't notice the stranger was maybe speaking in Haiku. Good catch ! Well then maybe it's a hint indeed.

Sardia posted: »

I personally am not that good in recognizing this, but in another "who is the stranger"-thread somebody wrote that both, Zer0 and the strang

• as much as i would love it to be good ol' Timothy, the story still has to be understandable by players that haven't played the main series....
    then again we haven't made it to Helios yet have we ...

• edited July 2015

We never really saw a body like other people. They haven't been afraid to show some graphic stuff, so not seeing a body puts up the first red flag. It appeared assumed he ate it in the explosion. I also don't think Fiona really needed to say 'there's a bomb' for him to realize there is in fact, a bomb, because it's already beeping pretty ominously when she tells him. After that event, he's out of the team but not forgotten. He left stuff for them and is still brought up in dialogue, which seems unnecessary for a character who exists for a single episode, unless he has a bigger role in this story than we were led to believe.

I like the idea of it being someone like Timothy, but if I were asked to make a wager, my money's on Felix.

I also suspected it in another thread already but people trust the storywriters with the dead of Felix. Considering the fact that here, peop

• Zer0 or 0ne would be too random and a little to ex machina. Loader Bot is the only one allowed to be the ex machina of this story, since he literally came from the machine it's only right.

0ne, as his identity is not known, he uses gender-neutral language and he has one eye, whereas Zer0 has a smooth, featureless helmet that co

• I dunno, He's gone either way. One thing I know for sure, I wouldn't want to be the one who told him to choke on it if he does turn out to be the stranger. :D

Wouldn't that render the choice of having him blow up not count for anything in the first episode. My Fiona told him to choke on it.

• After that event, he's out of the team but not forgotten. He left stuff for them and is still brought up in dialogue, which seems unnecessary for a character who exists for a single episode, unless he has a bigger role in this story than we were led to believe.

The reason for that is obvious. Felix was a big part of Fiona's and Sasha's life, he did a lot for them. It wants you to feel guilty for killing him.

Also, what kind of body do you want? He blew up, body parts aren't going to be flying everywhere.

We never really saw a body like other people. They haven't been afraid to show some graphic stuff, so not seeing a body puts up the first re

• Mmh. In the end, there were so many different choices and combinations about that, that it indeed seems difficult to let him survive either way. Just read in the other thread that when shooting him, the cinematics clearly show hes been shot through his neck - so very likely screwed. Aaaaah, DANGIT. I just really like to see him coming back and giving some more background information. How did he loose his eye? Where does he know vallory from? Who is the woman on the foto?.... Btw. In my felix-conspiracy the stranger has the one Orange "eye" just like felix has only one eye.... LOL...

After that event, he's out of the team but not forgotten. He left stuff for them and is still brought up in dialogue, which seems unnecessar

• I'm pretty sure Vallory was the woman in the photo and we'll probably learn more about their relationship while we're stuck with her in the next episode.

Felix is dead, plain and simple.

Mmh. In the end, there were so many different choices and combinations about that, that it indeed seems difficult to let him survive either

• Then August could be Felix' son then. I remember Fiona saying sth like " they look quite happy", so they could have a child together, break up for some unknown reason later and vallory becomes the feared queenpin she is now.

I'm pretty sure Vallory was the woman in the photo and we'll probably learn more about their relationship while we're stuck with her in the next episode. Felix is dead, plain and simple.

• August could be his son. Vallory knew of Fiona and Sasha back when they were picking pockets and stealing watches, that could mean she knows of every crime on Pandora or that Felix had contact with her in some way.

Then August could be Felix' son then. I remember Fiona saying sth like " they look quite happy", so they could have a child together, break up for some unknown reason later and vallory becomes the feared queenpin she is now.

• I think they worked together. Maybe even until the time the story started. And this is why felix sent athena, cause he knows vallory.

August could be his son. Vallory knew of Fiona and Sasha back when they were picking pockets and stealing watches, that could mean she knows of every crime on Pandora or that Felix had contact with her in some way.

• We could always suddenly wake up and find Patrick Ewing in the shower and find out it was all just a dream. Boy I just dated myself there.

TomatoSoup posted: »

as much as i would love it to be good ol' Timothy, the story still has to be understandable by players that haven't played the main series.... then again we haven't made it to Helios yet have we ...

• I'm not sure about that. I don't remember him saying "trained" and when he says he's an actor he says it with a stuttering voice.
    To me it feels more like he's saying he's an actor as a way of saying he's a body double without saying he is one.

In the pre-sequel he says he is a trained actor several time. He also had freckles. Just an FYI.

• In Outlook in claptrap's mind, when asked if he knows how to use a microphone he says "I am a trained actor." Yes I remember that sort of thing. Can't remember where my keys are, or if I left the oven on, but that I remember.

I'm not sure about that. I don't remember him saying "trained" and when he says he's an actor he says it with a stuttering voice. To me it feels more like he's saying he's an actor as a way of saying he's a body double without saying he is one.

• He's joking I believe, or it's bravado :) ! He's trying to be someone he's not. Remember his real voice on the echoes of Helios.

In Outlook in claptrap's mind, when asked if he knows how to use a microphone he says "I am a trained actor." Yes I remember that sort of thing. Can't remember where my keys are, or if I left the oven on, but that I remember.

• Well it's pandora after all. I quickly lost track of all the bodies I've seen, but I haven't forgotten the one they didn't show us. They aren't shy on confirming a death. That's why I get the 'pics or it didn't happen' feeling when I think back on it. Yes I saw an explosion. I'm just not convinced we actually saw him die in it. It wouldn't surprise me if letting him die or warning him was just a surface choice, with a much deeper one connected to it. I do know that he remembers a lot of stuff for a guy who isn't hanging around for long.

After that event, he's out of the team but not forgotten. He left stuff for them and is still brought up in dialogue, which seems unnecessar

• Clappy. Poker Night 2. Lil bastard is a bluffing machine. Wouldn't THAT be a twist.

AdamGoodtme posted: »

When Fiona Theorizes that he must know or need them, he asks how confidant she is in that theory, and then specifies by asking her if she wo

• It's not TWD where if you don't see a body they're dead. It was an explosion, people usually don't come out in one piece from that.

Also to disprove that whole "He will remember that" theory. In TWD S1, right before Carley is shot in the dead and is killed, she has a "You will remember that"...They don't mean anything.

Well it's pandora after all. I quickly lost track of all the bodies I've seen, but I haven't forgotten the one they didn't show us. They are

• I do know that he remembers a lot of stuff for a guy who isn't hanging around for long.

So did Vasquez...

Well it's pandora after all. I quickly lost track of all the bodies I've seen, but I haven't forgotten the one they didn't show us. They are

• Jack definitely sees his death. You can find some cutscenes on youtube and try starting/stopping the video for yourself if you want to see for yourself (Like I did before writing that comment) or you can believe this image I found on google:

Jack's death in pre-sequel

I'm pretty sure Lillth cuts off Jack's visions before he sees his death, so he only sees the Warrior and him controlling Lillth to awaken it

Sign in to comment in this discussion.