The Identity of... (MAJOR SPOILERS for Tales and Pre-Sequel)

Comments

• Hmm...Interesting. Still makes me question it, since he didn't seem to think it would happen during BL2.

Greenzoid2 posted: »

Jack definitely sees his death. You can find some cutscenes on youtube and try starting/stopping the video for yourself if you want to see f

• Yea same here. I'm thinking its either a continuity error between the two companies who made the games, or it says something about Jack's insanity. He does have borderline personality disorder after all.

Hmm...Interesting. Still makes me question it, since he didn't seem to think it would happen during BL2.

• Well, being around Vault Relics for too long causes insanity. Jack may have well been suffering from a minor case of BPD in TPS and before but the Vault's power caused it to skyrocket...We already know that Jack wasn't like Handsome Jack before...Just an asshole sometimes and pretty manipulating. The Vault caused Jack to go completely insane.

I would like to assume it's just an error, as it seems like the whole future vision is just mismatched parts of the final boss fight from BL2.

Yea same here. I'm thinking its either a continuity error between the two companies who made the games, or it says something about Jack's insanity. He does have borderline personality disorder after all.

• I used to believe this was the case, too - but the scene in your screencap actually isn't Jack's death.

It's the moment he inserts the charged key into the ground and wakes the Warrior (as seen around the two minute mark of the below video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2qx9qMvPek

@GoldenPaladin is correct in saying that Lilith interrupts his vision of his own death, instead he witnesses his moment of triumph (which is assumedly why he continues with his plans - who would have thought an all-powerful alien deity could be bested by a small group of gun-toting bandits?)

Jack definitely sees his death. You can find some cutscenes on youtube and try starting/stopping the video for yourself if you want to see f

• Whoa. I stand corrected

I used to believe this was the case, too - but the scene in your screencap actually isn't Jack's death. It's the moment he inserts the ch

• Interesting theory. This would be pretty cool if it happens. I could imagine in episode 4, him taking the mask off and Rhys saying, "Jack?" then the episode just ending on that. Since we have little evidence or anything to go on I thought it may be Vaughn but this is a pretty good idea too. While it's not backed up by concrete evidence, there is so little to go on in the first place so pretty much anything is possible. It'd be nice to see what happened to Timothy though.

• I feel that somehow Jack will end up being re-uploaded into a Hyperion computer and then returning for Borderlands 3 maybe being put into a robot body, or some kind of android/cyborg like Rhys. Just imagine... Robo-Jack!

I hope it's Timothy, I really do. Of course, Timothy WILL show up in Borderlands 3 because he's the way they can keep Handsome Jack in the games without him being, you know, dead. He's too obnoxious to kill.

• I wonder if the writer for Jack researched BPD because he is so fricken' spot on. BPD is often associated with early childhood abuse and abandonment. Although, let it be noted that it BPD isn't necessarily associate with criminal behaviors like other behavior disorders. It also explains what appears to be his lack of emotions punctuated by extreme anger. If this is the case just the act of being betrayed or abandoned would be enough to set him on a downward destructive cycle without much help from a vault. It would also be a reason for a mellowing out of Jack in Tales. As individuals with BPD often stabilize in their 40's.

Whistler, profession imaginary psychologist for fictional characters.

Well, being around Vault Relics for too long causes insanity. Jack may have well been suffering from a minor case of BPD in TPS and before b

• I would say that he did indeed see his own death, but either thought he would be able to prevent it or that waking the Warrior was more important than his own life. Hard to know because there are some inconsistencies in his character story.

My own opinion is that he saw the same things that Zarpedon saw and made her decide to try and destroy the moon and most of Pandora to prevent the future. He thought that if he could control the Warrior that he could prevent the same thing Zarpedon was trying to prevent and still be a hero and clean up Pandora. The vision begains before we get to see the cut scene and I would think he saw quite a bit more that the little snipits we saw when he says 'now I understand'. I think it didn't help his already twisted mental state any, but he had more of a reason to continue on other than power or money

At the start of Borderlands 2 in the cinematic opening the sign in the train car says Welcome Vault Hunters...To your Doom and in little letters under it 'nothing personal'. Besides his hatred of the Crimson raiders, specifically Lilith, Roland, and Moxxi (and honestly who wouldn't despise them after what they did?) it wasn't personal until you kill Angel.

Of course this is only my idea and the story is left open enough for a lot of players ideas to fit.

I used to believe this was the case, too - but the scene in your screencap actually isn't Jack's death. It's the moment he inserts the ch

• edited July 2015

In episode 1 one of the first things he says is "tell me about the gortys project" which is 9.

If they intentionally wanted it to be haiku like they could have used "the gortys project" / "you will tell me about it" / "from the beginning"

Sardia posted: »

I personally am not that good in recognizing this, but in another "who is the stranger"-thread somebody wrote that both, Zer0 and the strang

• Have we considered it being Zer0? He was searching for Gortys in the first place anyways.

• Yep, but if that's the case why the mask and costume? Being Zer0 would be more intimidating than a dude with a shot gun. And why would he need a mask on a mask?

Valebread posted: »

Have we considered it being Zer0? He was searching for Gortys in the first place anyways.

• Maskception confirmed.enter image description here

Yep, but if that's the case why the mask and costume? Being Zer0 would be more intimidating than a dude with a shot gun. And why would he need a mask on a mask?

• Most disappointing de-masking since Scooby Doo unmashed the Creeper.

Maskception confirmed.

• Zer0 only has four fingers (three fingers? three fingers and a thumb?).

Valebread posted: »

Have we considered it being Zer0? He was searching for Gortys in the first place anyways.

• Um, the double you kill in BL2 required a modulator to look/sound like Jack. Timothy didn't need either of those, he was the first double, and he was molded via lots and lots of cosmetic surgery to look and sound exactly like Jack. It's impossible for that double to have been Timothy.

I'm really not sure why people keep thinking this, taking the Engineer's modulator is a vital plot point of BL2 and Timothy's initial ECHO log in TPS (plus the ones lying around Jack's office) verify that he was surgically altered, not cloaked.

Lucky_Maybe posted: »

I'm pretty sure Timothy is dead. I think he is the double the Vault Hunters in BL2 kills to get the mask and voice modulator.

• I assumed he must have taken some theatre courses while in college. Maybe to try to boost his self-esteem? There's no way he was a bona-fide actor before the surgery, he had a bit of a stutter and sounded so meek and scared.

In Outlook in claptrap's mind, when asked if he knows how to use a microphone he says "I am a trained actor." Yes I remember that sort of thing. Can't remember where my keys are, or if I left the oven on, but that I remember.

• It wouldn't surprise me if we don't ever find out who the woman in the photo was. I mean, We never learned what happened to Christa in TWD even though we all patiently waited throughout the whole second season. Telltale has definitely left us perpetually in the dark before.

I'm pretty sure Vallory was the woman in the photo and we'll probably learn more about their relationship while we're stuck with her in the next episode. Felix is dead, plain and simple.

• It's Janey Springs.

• Wow, that's actually one I haven't heard before. Though I'm not sure she's capable of keeping her ockerisms under wraps for that long. Her A̶u̶s̶t̶r̶a̶l̶i̶a̶n̶ ahem Elpian heritage would expose itself eventually.

• edited August 2015

Well episode 4 gave us some little hints. Fiona said the suit is very familiar, even Rhys felt the same way so it's someone they've both ran into or would know of very well. Also he says he knows what it's like to lose someone.

It's got to be someone who's 'famous' or who we've already met. Someone who's ALSO already lost/will lose someone. Timothy doesn't really fit into those.

• That suit comment bugs me because it is familiar. I remember seeing one like it and the arm band in one of the games but for the life of me I can't remember where. It will probably bug me until I start up and play through each game again to find it. :-(.

Miny77 posted: »

Well episode 4 gave us some little hints. Fiona said the suit is very familiar, even Rhys felt the same way so it's someone they've both ran

• Do you mean the TftBl games or the whole franchise?

That suit comment bugs me because it is familiar. I remember seeing one like it and the arm band in one of the games but for the life of me

• The Borderlands games, it was there I saw the arm bands, When I first saw the Stranger the uniform rang a bell, just not loud enough for me to remember where it was. Dang..I'm going to have to go back now and start with Borderlands.

SirRengeti posted: »

Do you mean the TftBl games or the whole franchise?

• Didn't we kill Timothy in Borderlands 2? We killed a Handsome Jack double during that game I remember...wasn't that Timothy?

• Well now that Jack is already back, Timothy is kind of unnecessary
    And tbh I think Timothy died. I know he wasnt the double from BL2, but wouldnt it be weird if the double is still alive and NO ONE knows of him?

• No that was just Mr. Randomface08/15. He was more or less cloaked by some kind of Illusion where as Timothy alteration was achieved surgically.

chri025L posted: »

Didn't we kill Timothy in Borderlands 2? We killed a Handsome Jack double during that game I remember...wasn't that Timothy?

• There are many ways to disguise a face. Jack only became really famous once he got his mask on and dressed differently, anyway.

Quick Change machines are canon, so Tim could have changed his outfit. He couldn't change his face, but he can still grow a beard, grow out his hair, possibly obscure his features more with a hood or something, etc, etc.

Lewt_Shogun posted: »

Well now that Jack is already back, Timothy is kind of unnecessary And tbh I think Timothy died. I know he wasnt the double from BL2, but wouldnt it be weird if the double is still alive and NO ONE knows of him?

• Find a planet where Jack isn't as universally hated. After working so hard to keep him alive I really hope he wasn't killed by some random douche canoe with a chip on his shoulder over Jack.

LawmanZero posted: »

There are many ways to disguise a face. Jack only became really famous once he got his mask on and dressed differently, anyway. Quick Cha

• Hilariously, that might be good motivation for Timothy wanting the Gortys project - so he could teleport to some obscure spot in the universe where Jack isn't known. (Of course, that'd probably mean just hanging out in a vault somewhere, which would probably have a monster, incredible riches or just be plain boring as hell.) I don't know how he would have found out about it, though, as I'm assuming the BL1/BL2 VH + Moxxi were told after the events of the TPS finale.

Find a planet where Jack isn't as universally hated. After working so hard to keep him alive I really hope he wasn't killed by some random douche canoe with a chip on his shoulder over Jack.

• edited August 2015

Sitting alone on Elpis, surrounded by digi Jacks.

enter image description here

blue_pen posted: »

Hilariously, that might be good motivation for Timothy wanting the Gortys project - so he could teleport to some obscure spot in the univers

• Digi-Jacks that say nothing but the world just got 25% more handsome! on repeat. Poor, poor Tim.

Sitting alone on Elpis, surrounded by digi Jacks.

• Sorry to jump in right now but I've got some more info who might prove that Timothy CAN'T be the mysterious guy. -If that's a guy.-
    When you play as the Doppelganger, Tim sometimes says things such as "I can't wait to find this vault so I can remove all this surgery thing and get my old face back, I miss my freckles." Soooooo I guess after BTPS Tim just got out of business and went back to his normal life. Just sayin'.

blue_pen posted: »

Digi-Jacks that say nothing but the world just got 25% more handsome! on repeat. Poor, poor Tim.

• I would so love it if he went back to his normal life, the poor kid! re: Tim getting more surgery - I think it's in the ECHO you start with? - Jack talks to the doctor about Tim not knowing that the process can't be reversed, which Timothy wasn't told when he had the surgery. (Which is insanely disturbing.) At the end of the Claptastic Voyage, Tim keeps asking Jack if Jack's going to finally pay him, so I unfortunately think he's still not only stuck with Jack's face, he's quite lacking in the money department on top of it. I'm curious to see if he's still with Hyperion, or off on Pandora somewhere. Poor Tim.

Sachanax posted: »

Sorry to jump in right now but I've got some more info who might prove that Timothy CAN'T be the mysterious guy. -If that's a guy.- When y

• Yeah, but he made the deal with Tassiter to get his face back...we all know what happened to Tassiter. Also he was still a body double during the Claptastic Voyage, that happened after Tassiters death. So you can call what he is saying as wishful thinking. I also don't see Jack as being willing to give up a bonifide vault hunter who is in his employ so easily. By the end Timothy was bass ass as the rest of them.

Also his 'normal' life involved watching TV with his mother, who laughed upon being told he was dead. So I hope he is still out there being a bad ass somewhere chewing bubble gum and blowing up aliens.

Sachanax posted: »

Sorry to jump in right now but I've got some more info who might prove that Timothy CAN'T be the mysterious guy. -If that's a guy.- When y

• Hell yeah we know what happend to him.
    His beard is on Jack's trophy cupboard. xD

Yeah, but he made the deal with Tassiter to get his face back...we all know what happened to Tassiter. Also he was still a body double durin

• AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that's... that's cute.

Find a planet where Jack isn't as universally hated. After working so hard to keep him alive I really hope he wasn't killed by some random douche canoe with a chip on his shoulder over Jack.

• So far on the internet, nobody has mentioned the possibility of Sasha.

For some reason, the stranger doesnt strike me as a man. It's definitely someone from TFTB as they know Rhys and Fiona personally. It could be someone we meet in episode 5 or someone whose status changes within that episode. Id say strongest possibility is either Vaughn or Sasha, and something that happens in 5 alienates them from the group.

Also something I've not heard mention of is how Sasha potentially betrayed the group and was working with Yvette this whole time (whom she might possibly be related to?) I got a look of remorse on her face at the end of the episode which seemed to suggest that.

• Personally I believe the masked man has a strong possibility of being Lilith after the events and the clues that were brought up in Episode 4.

My idea for Lilith is that EVERYONE on the planet knows who she is and she has lost someone close to her. Her reasoning behind keeping herself secret could have something to do with the alien she talked to at the end of TPS. Looking at this chronologically, the end of TPS is happening around the events of Tales. Then in Tales, Athena getting caught starts the events of TPS but it never states how far in the future Rhys and Fiona are when recalling their story to the Masked Man. I believe that Lilith is a better candidate under the fact that she was informed by the alien that they need all the help they can get, (probably taking them to Sanctuary) and off screen was informed about the vault of the traveler and needed to find out more about it, which is was she captured Rhys and Fiona had them recall their story.

• Doesn't really make sense in my book. That would be so out of character.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.