The "whatever's on your mind" thread

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Oh Davies, what would we do without you great---
    St_Eddie wrote: »
    I went ice-skating with my Mum when I was a kid and fell over; only for my Mum to skate over my fingers! Crimson on pure white!

YOU-RE-DEAD-TO-ME-asdf-movie-30180010-476-282.jpg

Nah, but seriously... OUCH. My fingers cry in phantom pain at the thought. Why couldn't you have just gotten them stuck in a gate or asked Tope to give you carrot cutting lessons?
  • edited June 2013
    Hey all,
    I'm back on t'internet for the next week which can only mean one thing... um, what was it again?! Dag nab it, I can't remember! I'm pretty sure that it rhymed with 'Might of the Gamma-Ron's Spleen'...

I'm pretty sure you were doing a Let's Play of King's Quest.

Just not that King's Quest.
    Why couldn't you have just gotten them stuck in a gate or asked Tope to give you carrot cutting lessons?

OWWWWWWWWWWWwwwww....
  • edited June 2013
    Welcome back. You didn't really miss much. Just that ADI project no one but me gave a shit about.
  • Why couldn't you have just gotten them stuck in a gate or asked Tope to give you carrot cutting lessons?

How about lengthwise cucumber cutting lessons?
  • edited June 2013
    ...Why couldn't you have just gotten them stuck in a gate or asked Tope to give you carrot cutting lessons?

Because neither of those options is as graceful nor entertaining as 'Dancing Finger Lopping on Ice'.
    WarpSpeed wrote: »
    OWWWWWWWWWWWwwwww....

Quick, somebody call an exorcist; WarpSpeed's been possessed by the spirit of Michael Jackson!
    Johro wrote: »
    Welcome back. You didn't really miss much. Just that ADI project no one but me gave a shit about.

I know not of what you speak, so I can not declare whether to give a shit or not.

EDIT:
    Unless you're referring to 'Harbinger Down'? If so, I would have loved to have pledged but can't afford it at the moment. No matter though because it's been funded and I'll buy a copy on Blu-Ray when it comes out. If you weren't referring to 'Harbinger Down' then this paragraph is a meaningless waste of your time (sorry 'bout that).
    Noname215 wrote: »
    How about lengthwise cucumber cutting lessons?

Never mind about that, get back to writing the 'Telltale Murder Mystery', you damn dirty ape!

...Seriously though, what's happening with that?
  • edited June 2013
    But see, in order to play the game, one has to recognize the game's legitimacy. If you were to call yourself the King of Garyland, I wouldn't have to recognize you as a monarch, so I don't have to play a game just because you say I am. I refuse to acknowledge the game, therefore I neither win nor lose.

Just because you don't recognize something as legit doesn't mean it exists. Besides, the game has been around since the beginning of time. Or at least since the '90s.

By the way, I lost the game.
  • edited June 2013
    Fuck off with that The Game bullshit. Just...OH! OH! It's such fuckin BULLSHIT!
  • edited June 2013
    Unless you're referring to 'Harbinger Down'? If so, I would have loved to have pledged but can't afford it at the moment. No matter though because it's been funded and I'll buy a copy on Blu-Ray when it comes out. If you weren't referring to 'Harbinger Down' then this paragraph is a meaningless waste of your time (sorry 'bout that).?

Good thing I was.
  • St_Eddie wrote: »
    Never mind about that, get back to writing the 'Telltale Murder Mystery', you damn dirty ape!

...Seriously though, what's happening with that?

I’ve been so damn busy lately. Don’t worry, it’s gonna happen!
  • edited June 2013
    I’ve been so damn busy lately. Don’t worry, it’s gonna happen!

Yays, you darned beautiful ape!
  • By the way, the story is chock full of references to forumers and to video games.

For instance: A portrait of St. Edward the Confessor? A stuffed monkey smoking a cigar? A book on Finnish folklore? A bad comedian?
  • edited June 2013
    By the way, the story is chock full of references to forumers and to video games.

For instance: A portrait of St. Edward the Confessor? A stuffed monkey smoking a cigar? A book on Finnish folklore? A bad comedian?

Hehe. Awesome.

St. Edward the Confessor? = Yours truly

A stuffed monkey smoking a cigar? = Coolsome

A book on Finnish folklore? = Vainamoinen

A bad comedian? = HEY! Why am I being referenced twice?! :p
  • edited June 2013
    A bad comedian? = HEY! Why am I being referenced twice?! :p

I think the bad comedian is Fawful because it's in his sig.
  • edited June 2013
    There a sort of strange psychological response where people feel the needs to punish what isn't "normal", rather than fix the root cause.

Take bullying in this case. Sometimes teachers and peers will try to stop the bully at first, but he/she keeps doing it and after a while this status becomes the "normal", and thereby cannot be fixed. The same holds true for the victim. Sometimes people will sympathize and try to help at first, but after a while become acclimated to that person being bullied as "normal" routine life.

So the victim finally decides to stand up for themselves and fights back. Suddenly he/she is acting in a way that teachers/peers interpret as "abnormal" and will often face harsher consequences (punishment, alienation) than the bully, because the victim responded "abnormally" to the bully's "normal" behavior, regardless of right and wrong or justification.

Pretty fucked up, but sadly quite true.
    Yep. And thanks for reminding me of this:

When a student bullies those who do not fit into the mainstream, they are carrying out the work of the school and society by enforcing conformity and social norms. In other words, bullying is a way to pressure kids that don't fit in because of their style, dress, or speech, for example. This may be one reason teachers and school officials do not intervene. Lack of intervention helps maintain social homeostasis (the status quo). School conformity is an avenue to safety and security because it is predictable and easier to deal with it. Bullying helps to limit student behaviors that are not predictable, are not the norm, and therefore pose a potential safety and security risk. While bullying is about power over classmates, the power is not the consummate goal, but rather the power is used to get students to conform and be predictable.

Some students say they bully because having a sense of power over their classmates makes them feel good, that they are better than others which impresses their friends. These same kids will express some sadness about the victim, but then turn around and blame the victim because they are annoying and therefore bring it on themselves. While some studies show that the bully is deficient in social skills, others link bullying to popularity, attractiveness, school leadership, and social intelligence. For example, sixth grade boys who bully are popular boys.

If a bully is a star student because of athletic prowess, academic elitism, or some other school star ability, he is less likely to be disciplined and criticized because, as mentioned earlier, he is carrying out the work of a school by ensuring students adhere to social norms. The bully evokes fear in her classmates which is one avenue of control.

Oh. Oh. Okay.

HNNNNNNNGRRRARGH!!!!!

I want to fucking...oh....oh my holy shit I am dying here....oh....I am so angry at this FUCKING BULLSHIT VICTIM BLAMING IN SCHOOLS!
  • edited June 2013
    I think the bad comedian is Fawful because it's in his sig.

I think that I'll steal a picture from Coolsome for this (which in turn was stolen from 'The Simpsons')...
    thatsthejokex.jpg
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited June 2013
    So, I got my glasses. But I still have double vision. :(

So, now the doctors think it might be a brain-related problem. So, I had to get 15 blood tests taken (needing 8 vials of blood) to see if there's evidence of a tumor on my pituitary gland.
  • edited June 2013
    What I did I did with out choice.
  • edited June 2013
    coolsome wrote: »
    What I did I did with out choice.

I know.
  • edited June 2013
    In the name of peace and sanity.
  • edited June 2013
    coolsome wrote: »
    In the name of peace and sanity.

But not in the name of coolsome!
  • edited June 2013
    Jennifer wrote: »

So, now the doctors think it might be a brain-related problem. So, I had to get 15 blood tests taken (needing 8 vials of blood) to see if there's evidence of a tumor on my pituitary gland.

:/ I hope it ends up being something rectifiable.
  • edited June 2013
    Johro wrote: »
    :/ I hope it ends up being something rectifiable.
    Likewise. All our best wishes.
  • edited June 2013
    GaryCXJk wrote: »
    Just because you don't recognize something as legit doesn't mean it exists. Besides, the game has been around since the beginning of time. Or at least since the '90s.

By the way, I lost the game.

Today, I was told a story from last weekend's Denver Comic Con. During the Q&A in Felicia Day and Wil Wheaton's panel, someone came up to the mic and said that someone had already asked his question and he hadn't thought of a new one. So he began to say "So I just have to say, you lost the...", and was instantly cut off by Wil Wheaton pointing at him and shouting "NO. NEXT QUESTION." The entire room burst out laughing. I must find a video of this, and it will be my go-to response to this game bullshit.
  • edited June 2013
    GAME TWO NBA PLAYOFFS going down TO NIGHT!!! WHHHHHAAAAAATTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!

Going to have dinner with the NBA press on Monday hopefully I'll be able to talk trash.
  • edited June 2013

I hope that everything turns out to be okay, Jennifer. Please do keep us up to date on how things are going. All my best wishes go out to you.
  • edited June 2013
    3qrfbn.jpg

Banner ruined.
  • edited June 2013
    That's why he always tears his pants.
  • edited June 2013
    He does get more "onscreen" in the comics than Tony Stark.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2013

Don't get too panicky. The eye is a complicated thing, it could be a whole lot of things, some self rectifying, some not. I hope it's harmless, and also that they will find the reason, immediately and without doubt. All the best!!
  • edited June 2013
    Today, I was told a story from last weekend's Denver Comic Con. During the Q&A in Felicia Day and Wil Wheaton's panel, someone came up to the mic and said that someone had already asked his question and he hadn't thought of a new one. So he began to say "So I just have to say, you lost the...", and was instantly cut off by Wil Wheaton pointing at him and shouting "NO. NEXT QUESTION." The entire room burst out laughing. I must find a video of this, and it will be my go-to response to this game bullshit.
    HA! BUT HE ALREADY LOST! BY CUTTING HIM OFF HE ACKNOWLEDGED THAT HE HAD THOUGHT OF THE GAME! HE LOST! WHIL WHEATON LOST! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!

...Wow, this is dumb.
  • edited June 2013
    HA! BUT HE ALREADY LOST! BY CUTTING HIM OFF HE ACKNOWLEDGED THAT HE HAD THOUGHT OF THE GAME! HE LOST! WHIL WHEATON LOST! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!

...Wow, this is dumb.

Did you just get possessed by Sheldon Cooper?
  • edited June 2013
    Am I the only one who loves The Apple dumpling Gang Rides Again more than the Apple Dumpling Gang?
  • edited June 2013

...Wow, this is dumb.

It seems he always loses anyway. Except with bowling.
  • edited June 2013
    Disney is suckering me again, dammit. "Get a Horse" will be the short before Frozen(aka Tangled 2: Tangled on Ice).

This is Wreck-It Ralph all over again.

aDbs91P.jpg?1
  • I’m doing another comedy show at the same place I did it a few weeks ago tomorrow night. Wish me luck!
  • edited June 2013
    I’m doing another comedy show at the same place I did it a few weeks ago tomorrow night. Wish me luck!

Good luck. You're braver than me. I would never be able to take one bad crowd.
  • I live in San Francisco. EVERY crowd is a bad crowd. Seriously, last show some drunk bastard shouted "Free Bird!"
  • edited June 2013
    Gah. I'm trying to look up information about this one game I remember hearing about recently where there was this girl who had a sort of spirit companion who is tied to her all her life, and you can switch between them, and use the spirit to either be helpful or mean to others as well as solve puzzles...

Maybe it was on a kickstarter? I don't remember.
  • edited June 2013
    Good luck. You're braver than me. I would never be able to take one bad crowd.

No, no... see, the appropriate response for a bad crowd is to start making fun of them. You'd be great!
  • edited June 2013
    This one's for Dashing:

whitehawk.gif

This one is for Guru:

lsGDoYg.gif
This discussion has been closed.