Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse Preorder & Trailer! - The Penal Zone lands April 15

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Bosco's new building
    just confirmed that this is bigger than any Telltale game from the past.
  • edited March 2010
    How long does it take for the private forum to be unlocked after preordering?
  • edited March 2010
    You have to use a special link in your confirmation e-mail.
  • edited March 2010
    Harald B wrote: »
    You have to use a special link in your confirmation e-mail.
    Oh okay, thank you. :D
  • edited March 2010
    *sigh*, still waiting for that confirmation e-mail :(.
  • edited March 2010
    *sigh*, still waiting for that confirmation e-mail :(.
    Are you SURE you didn't get an automated e-mail? I got mine when I usually do, within five minutes of actually placing the order. Maybe you skipped over it because it looked unremarkable? Were you checking the inbox of the account your Telltale username is registered to? Did you check junk and/or spam folders?
  • edited March 2010
    I got it within 5 seconds of the preorder. make sure it wasnt spamified
  • edited March 2010
    Hmm, I didn't get the special email either.

Never mind, turns out I did. The link's embedded in the receipt email :)
  • edited March 2010
    Hmm, I never got the link, I bought Sam & Max Season 3 and got the confirmation but none of the bonus stuff and I don't have access to the Private Forum area.
  • edited March 2010
    look under the confirmation of order, everything should be there.
  • edited March 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    look under the confirmation of order, everything should be there.

Thanks, didn't actually know it would be at the bottom of the e-mail! :p
  • edited March 2010
    Okay, i failed and couldn't resist the giantbomb video interview anymore.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-sam-max-the-devils-playhouse/17-2141/

After watching it, dunno, i'm not impressed by the graphics at all. At least in the video the colours looked pretty awful, the lighting wasn't this convincing as well. The shadows add nothing special to the atmosphere so far, beside of this they seemed pretty lowres and too hard. I kind of liked the blob shadows they used before. The perspectives also didn't add additional value to me. Quite the opposite was the case as i found them more confusing, so i'm still favouring point&click instead, no fan of these pseudo spectacular MTV angles.

I hope that this look is more due to the low quality of video and/or that the final tuning is still missing.

Does anyone know what the official technical enhancements are, for example did they increase the model complexity/texture resolution as well?

If technology and art come together, fine, but proper art still beats advanced technology if it't used wisely, moreover it runs on a wider range of machines.
  • edited March 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    I hope that this look is more due to the low quality of video and/or that the final tuning is still missing.
    Well, someone from TTTeam that worked on S&M did say that the demo was an early build of th game.

As far a technical achievements? The game looks more cinematic, possible thanks to it coming after ToMI which had a very cinematic framing of just about everything.
  • edited March 2010
    Okay, i failed and couldn't resist the giantbomb video interview anymore.

Me too _ _!

After watching it, dunno, i'm not impressed by the graphics at all. At least in the video the colours looked pretty awful, the lighting wasn't this convincing as well. The shadows add nothing special to the atmosphere so far, beside of this they seemed pretty lowres and too hard. I kind of liked the blob shadows they used before.

To be fair, me neither. But I love the atmosphere somehow. I mean, I don't look at the actual "improvements", just to the result overall. I liked What I see, but nothing like "Whoa". Which I think is ok, because the WHOA part has to be of the complete product
    The perspectives also didn't add additional value to me. Quite the opposite was the case as i found them more confusing, so i'm still favouring point&click instead, no fan of these pseudo spectacular MTV angles.

The angles are a bit confusing to me too, but at least I get to see someparts of the street I didn't see before. It's like this is now a Film Scenery instead of a Play's one. But I'm still wonder how you can play at the second floor in Skunka pe's Ship without WASD
    Does anyone know what the official technical enhancements are, for example did they increase the model complexity/texture resolution as well?

I don't know, but Max looks a lot more expressive compared to the First and Second Season.
    If technology and art come together, fine, but proper art still beats advanced technology if it't used wisely, moreover it runs on a wider range of machines.

Telltale still wants to do the best and prettiest game they can in commercial Machines instead of "Gamer" ones, if you didn't notice. It has to be a bit new though.
  • edited March 2010
    Well, let's just wait and see how the final product looks like but new isn't automatically good, it also has to be done well. Just thinking of the new Ubisoft DRM for instance.
  • edited March 2010
    Well, let's just wait and see how the final product looks like but new isn't automatically good, it also has to be done well. Just thinking of the new Ubisoft DRM for instance.

I was talking about the computers needed to run the games has to be a bit new if they are average. But I understand what are you saying.

I was just surprised in how many things were agree, but at the same time disagree.
  • edited March 2010
    @GinnyN
    This sounds like an interesting relationship. ;O)
  • edited March 2010
    Watch out, she bites! (Lagomorph and all)
  • edited March 2010
    Watch out, she bites! (Lagomorph and all)

Unless you read my user manual.

Oh wait
  • edited March 2010
    @Hassat Hunter
    Luckily my english is bad enough so that i have no idea what kind of dangeresque might lie ahead.

Now please excuse, i have something to read.
  • edited March 2010
    It was nice knowing you...
  • edited March 2010
    Preordered. I'm so happy, only one month we all going to play the... WAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!

Telltale, over time you got me, no matter what game you do next, i'll buy it.

Evil Telltale Demons, i hate you!! Go away! *brandishwithhands*
  • edited March 2010
    Will wrote: »
    WARNING, SPOILERS IN THE FOLLOWING LINK

Probably the most in-depth interview yet: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-sam-max-the-devils-playground/17-2141/

Chuck and I did this one a few days ago, so it's a slightly older build (mostly noticeable in the credits and a few other awesome things that Jake added).

This video has confirmed that I totally got it right (well mostly, I didn't use the word "bazooka," but still) about that piece of concept art everyone thought was a spaceship.
  • edited March 2010
    (raises hand)

I always thought it was a gun...
  • edited March 2010
    yeah me too, it was obviously some sort of rocket launcher
  • edited March 2010
    WOW! They really outdid themselves this time. I'm blown away at how great this looks and how awesome the game play is. It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.
  • edited March 2010
    OK, fine, the concept art a lot of people thought was a spaceship.
  • edited March 2010
    Thespis wrote: »
    OK, fine, the concept art a lot of people thought was a spaceship.

For some reason, I think they like when we try to figure out something, and utterly fail
  • edited March 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    For some reason, I think they like when we try to figure out something, and utterly fail

I know I would!:D
  • edited March 2010
    is the private forum open yet? it has 8 people viewing and im wondering if i've been denied becuase my expertise in failure.
  • edited March 2010
    Marty wrote: »
    is the private forum open yet? it has 8 people viewing and im wondering if i've been denied becuase my expertise in failure.

It's open. Check your confirmation email, if you pre-ordered
  • edited March 2010
    yep, the email had the secret doorway
  • edited March 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    yeah me too, it was obviously some sort of rocket launcher

To quote myself on a previous thread:
    tredlow wrote: »
    Space ship? I thought that was some sort of outer space potato launcher.

This is also a Futurama reference.
  • MRNMRN
    edited March 2010
  • edited March 2010
    Thanks telltale, just the kind of news I needed after a bad day.
    Preordering now.
  • edited March 2010
    EDIT: Nevermind.

IGNORE MEEE.
  • edited March 2010
    YEAH!!! can't wait for this one.
  • edited March 2010
    Will this be available for PSP too? That would be convenient, because my computer is kinda slow.
  • edited March 2010
    That seems... very unlikely. VERY unlikely.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, that's what I thought.
This discussion has been closed.